Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 3, 6:28 PM

Dec 2021
Advanced screening of the first three episodes on KADOKAWA'S official YouTube channel.
https://totokami.com/news.html#news-240310-2

After five long years, Mangaka Nujima's eerie and surreal manga finally receives the adaptation it has long deserved, evoking the same eerue atmosphere like Dark Gathering from last summer.

Sumireko Ogawa, a VERY busty clerk at a bookstore, dreams of becoming a novelist, spurred by her early writing success. One fateful day, after reading a mysterious novel, Sumireko inexplicably regresses into a child. Determined to reclaim her passion for writing despite her newfound youth, she ponders her next steps. Meanwhile, her colleague Ren Adashino grows concerned as Sumireko fails to show up for work for a week, a departure from her usual reliability. Upon visiting Sumireko's empty home and discovering the transformative novel, Ren embarks on a mission to find her. Eventually locating her, Ren guides Sumireko on how to reverse the transformation, but she flees, reverting to her child form to pursue her literary aspirations. Ren intervenes, assuring her of her talent as a writer before collapsing.

I've heard of people sneaking items into stores, but I never knew it was termed "droplifting." People drop books because they no longer need them; it's better to donate them than to waste them by throwing them in the bin or possibly not getting enough from selling them because they might have been through a lot. Also, yeah, yeah, boobs, whatever. More importantly, the weird-eyed girl left me hanging. She started to answer a question in the first few scenes and then just vanished, never to appear again. Anyways, I really like the plot of this.

The writing is... interesting to say the least. I look forward to seeing where this goes. I thought Ren was someone who used the book's power like Sumireko, but I guess he's much worse lol. But after he said that one of the conditions is her being a virgin, I thought that to undo the curse they need to have sex. Though maybe it's for the best they didn't, seeing as well... she was technically a kid. Anyways, all these urban legends are interesting.

That's a way to start a show, to say the least... Though I can see the potential, so I'll give it a shot. Let's see what you got, Nujima.

Apr 4, 12:36 PM
Aug 2021
What is the point of adapting ecchi and making it not ecchi by slapping censorship everywhere? Very unfortunate adaptation.
Apr 5, 6:02 PM

Sep 2020
RKGS said:
What is the point of adapting ecchi and making it not ecchi by slapping censorship everywhere? Very unfortunate adaptation.

It doesn’t have ecchi tags so it was obvious they wouldn’t go that far
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 6, 11:23 AM

Apr 2015
Reply to Yuri_Niji
RKGS said:

@Yuri_Niji Don't trust MAL tags, the manga of this very clearly marketed as ecchi, has a decent amount of nudity and sexual situations. The anime seems to have cut out half of this, that's what the problem is.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Apr 8, 2:38 AM
Aug 2021
Reply to Yuri_Niji
RKGS said:

@Yuri_Niji Are you seriously using the tags of a foreign website to deduce what content would be in Japanese media that, up until recently, wasn't airing? And like the other post said, stop being obtuse.
Apr 9, 10:35 AM
Nov 2022
Thank you so much for all the censorship, Kadokawa. Anime these days is all about catering to a wider audience, right Kadokawa?
Apr 9, 1:32 PM
Aug 2021
Reply to Nucleus69
Thank you so much for all the censorship, Kadokawa. Anime these days is all about catering to a wider audience, right Kadokawa?
@Nucleus69 Don't worry the CEO will probably take another 20% paycut for 2 months if the company catches heat for their love of censorship again, just like last time. That'll totally fix everything
Apr 10, 6:20 AM
Nov 2022
Reply to RKGS
@Nucleus69 Don't worry the CEO will probably take another 20% paycut for 2 months if the company catches heat for their love of censorship again, just like last time. That'll totally fix everything
@RKGS if only the Japanese fans would actually speak up and properly criticise these companies. Ik it's in their culture which is why they tend to stay silent even if they are upset deep down. And as result, these companies keep getting away with their practices because their own domestic audience doesn't speak up.
Apr 10, 6:33 AM
Feb 2023
How many hours left till it's out?
Apr 10, 6:55 AM

Jul 2017
A Dark Gathering like show, mangaka Nujima's work is one.

A normal looking bookstore with busty clerk Sumireko Ogawa and her flirtatious co-worker Ren Adashino, these two share a rather peculiar relationship for the supernatural, especially for the former who has been writing novels since high school with success. Once hitting her 28th birthday, and after reading a reverse-shoplifted novel, Sumireko regresses into a child, wildly bereaved, but having all of the enthusiasm as a child.

With no replies whatsoever, Ren goes to Sumireko's apartment to scout what's going on as the latter relives her childhood memories, and finds the same reverse-shoplifted book, which is a cursed book of the Manyoshu called a Juusho, written in Banka, and labelled as Tsukuyomi's Water of Youth, which has all conditions that Sumireko fulfilled. And the way to cure it is to bring her back to the moonlight and read the mantra to revert her back to normal. But as long as Sumireko's got the book, she's not safe, aside from changing from both adult and child bodies at will, desperate for her stories to be read once again. And only Ren knows what lies beneath the supernatural.

A very interesting show, of which its many cases will make or break the show.
KANLen09Apr 20, 12:29 AM
Apr 10, 7:00 AM

Nov 2011
The supernatural and mystery vibes feels ok but it seems Sumireko is the one carrying this show for now.

Not sure how I feel about the execution of this anime's premise yet. There were some emotional segments thrown into this while also adapting into the book and literature themes. Haven't read the manga for this yet so I'm not sure how faithful this was. Nonetheless, I'm interested to see more.
Apr 10, 7:08 AM
Mar 2021
crunchyroll picked this up and didn't even announce it on their site yet😅
Apr 10, 7:29 AM

Sep 2023
I really enjoyed this. The writing seems to be good, and the art and animation are great as well. I see a lot of people complaining about censorship, but I guess it says a lot about my age that I don't care. If I want to find that sort of thing there are plenty of other places to look, I guess.
Apr 10, 7:35 AM
Mar 2021
SaintCelestian said:
I really enjoyed this. The writing seems to be good, and the art and animation are great as well. I see a lot of people complaining about censorship, but I guess it says a lot about my age that I don't care. If I want to find that sort of thing there are plenty of other places to look, I guess.

what did they censor exactly?
Apr 10, 7:39 AM

Feb 2020
Hmm, pretty interesting start.
Apr 10, 7:51 AM
Sep 2015
I'm not convinced by the first episode but at least I'll continue watching it.
Apr 10, 7:55 AM
May 2019
Reply to MrHunterxHunter
SaintCelestian said:

what did they censor exactly?
@MrHunterxHunter nudity , fan service read manga you would get it.
Apr 10, 7:55 AM
May 2019
censored trash straight to the bin.
Apr 10, 8:01 AM
Aug 2020
time for some suspens...

the first ep was not bad, i want to know more...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Apr 10, 8:06 AM

Jan 2016
Interesting first episode, perfect new mystery anime to watch〰
Apr 10, 8:12 AM
Mar 2021
kratos960203 said:

you mean the nipples?😂

well come on. not every studio can afford to make an extra uncensored version. some anime won't even get licensed if it doesn't conform to certain rules

not every anime can be "gushing over magical girls"😅
Apr 10, 8:18 AM
May 2019
MrHunterxHunter said:
kratos960203 said:

you mean the nipples?😂

well come on. not every studio can afford to make an extra uncensored version. some anime won't even get licensed if it doesn't conform to certain rules

not every anime can be "gushing over magical girls"😅

that's false you can give censored version to streaming sites and release uncensored on blu ray both chained solider, tails of weeding rings which are uncensored have nipples got licensed by different streaming services. muse Asia, Ani one Asia , hi dive , crunchyroll, mahako and tails of weeding rings doesn't even had nipples in manga but anime had. it's blatant censorship and nothing more. not just nipples they removed instances of normal fan service too. studio can make uncensored stuff and just shine light on sensitive moments and release uncensored as blu ray. they exactly did the opposite of that. kaii to otome was certainly ecchi manga with nudity if it wasn't i won't even mention anything about it
Apr 10, 8:21 AM
Sep 2021
Reply to Yuri_Niji
RKGS said:

@Yuri_Niji me if I only followed mal tags like a an inept.
Apr 10, 8:26 AM

Oct 2017
Holy shit that's one of the OP of all times, lewd af. They went all out making that and I love it.

Love Sumireko's character design, busty and attractive. Nice fanservice throughout the episode and amusing reactions from her. She's also a virgin confirmed if anyone needed that. Like the mysterious vibe Ren's giving, interested. Idk how the mystery aspect will play out for this but if nothing else I can just watch Sumireko which is more than enough. Btw I had thought this was a horror supernatural/mystery anime but doesn't seem like it.

That said glad to have a new mystery anime. Been looking forward to this a lot. Excited for very big reasons, literally.
MegamiRemApr 21, 12:18 PM
Apr 10, 8:26 AM
Feb 2020
The lil girl in ED turned into a heart for a sec was freaky.

Its a good start.I really dunno why ppl are up on arms on the censor.Like why so desperate for it?
Apr 10, 8:36 AM
Oct 2019
Builder45 said:

Its a good start.I really dunno why ppl are up on arms on the censor.Like why so desperate for it?

I honestly don't think much about these people anymore.
They are sexually disturbed.
Apr 10, 8:37 AM

Jul 2011
I like to think, that whoever got the book first, was someone that didn't read the fine print and ended not being a virgin. So they reverse-shoplifted.

When you relate to Sumireko situation.

Adashino be like "Hey kiddo, want to learn about curses?"
Apr 10, 8:37 AM

May 2019
Interesting first episode. Just one more anime to add on the the stack of shows I'm watching this season, lmao.
Apr 10, 8:39 AM
Jun 2020
That was pretty interesting first episode. Look forward for more! I can feel very HUGE plots are being cooked here
Apr 10, 8:42 AM

Aug 2013
You can definitely see the marketing strategy here. Haven't read the manga either but I'm always up for a decent mystery series every now and then.
Don't believe the hype.
Apr 10, 8:52 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
we get loli panties in the first 10 seconds AND a THICC ass milf?

how are we cookin so hard with the ecchi/fanservice in 2024??????
Apr 10, 9:16 AM

Dec 2010
Man, they really just had to censor Sumireko's huge inverted nipples huh... Even her ass...
Which is a shame since the anime did everything else really well.
Apr 10, 9:17 AM

Apr 2015
Reply to EcchiGodMamster

@EcchiGodMamster Manga has way more though. Actual nudity, she has inverted nipples there.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Apr 10, 9:26 AM

Jul 2015
Yeah, big boobs are nice. She also tends to wear glasses, which I like. Her feet are also cute. But those eyebrows man...
PiromyslApr 10, 9:57 AM

Apr 10, 9:35 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Reply to Tropisch
@EcchiGodMamster Manga has way more though. Actual nudity, she has inverted nipples there.
@Tropisch

well ofc the manga is almost always more cultured than the adaptation... what can we do? :/

DarkDooM2 said:
Man, they really just had to censor Sumireko's huge inverted nipples huh... Even her ass...

as par usual... we can only hope the BD fixes everything...
Apr 10, 10:01 AM

Jun 2019
Hmm, the closest thing this reminds me of is a cross between The Night Beyond the Tricornered Window and Beautiful Bones - Sakurako's Investigation, due to bookstore as a workplace setting, urban mystery/horror, and sexual tension/attraction between two opposite types in the former case, and the older "mature" but still childish in many ways female mentor to the younger boy, also with some mystery/investigative elements and sexual/romantic tension, in the latter case. Then I looked it up after the fact and see that this studio, Zero-G, also did The Night Beyond the Tricornered Window (a pretty obscure series from 2021 which passed by with little notoriety).

And throw in a little Mieruko-chan, Dark Gathering, and Urasekai Picnic, again for the urban mystery and/or horror and minor comedic elements.

What I found notable though is that this immediately struck me as having better writing than the majority of random seasonals I've tried out so far this season and really the past few. And I don't think it was just a case of an illusionary trance or the power of suggestion to cause me to think or feel that way due to a significant part of its runtime being about writing and reading.

I can say that after Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? and Tonari no Youkai-san it's definitely the series I'm most likely to continue following out of every seasonal sampled thus far.

I see some folks irate about censorship and yeah, while I would in theory prefer no series/film/book/game/anything censor anything ever just on pure principle alone and because I'd always rather see a thing, whatever it may be, than not see it, I truthfully just don't care at all in this case because it isn't like the sex stuff or any type of fanservice is why I checked out this series and decided to give it a try. I did so because the synopsis was intriguing enough coupled with the combination of genres (mystery and supernatural), which never listed ecchi.
WatchTillTandavaApr 10, 10:16 AM
Apr 10, 11:08 AM
Jul 2014
Reply to SaintCelestian
@SaintCelestian the manga has nudity though, why should we look elsewhere?
Apr 10, 11:23 AM

Sep 2023
Reply to Unleashed_SM
@SaintCelestian the manga has nudity though, why should we look elsewhere?
@Unleashed_SM It's more that censoring full nudity neither adds nor takes away anything from the anime. It's inconsequential, and it's strange that so many people get so worked up about it when it happens.
Apr 10, 11:24 AM
Jul 2014
Reply to SaintCelestian
@Unleashed_SM It's more that censoring full nudity neither adds nor takes away anything from the anime. It's inconsequential, and it's strange that so many people get so worked up about it when it happens.
@SaintCelestian But it's an ecchi.
Apr 10, 11:25 AM
Nov 2022
Reply to EcchiGodMamster

@EcchiGodMamster dude, check out the manga. This anime is heavily censored, they censored every bit of nudity from the manga including nipples and ass both.
Apr 10, 11:28 AM
Nov 2022
Reply to Builder45

@Builder45 ah yes, how wrong of people to complain about censorship of ecchi in an ecchi show.
Apr 10, 11:30 AM
Nov 2022
Reply to DarkDooM2
@DarkDooM2 it's so weird they didn't even keep the ass shot. Like ok, with nipples I can at least understand, but why censor her ass too?
Apr 10, 11:42 AM

Feb 2010
That was weird but intriguing. I really liked the voice acting choices
Apr 10, 11:56 AM

Sep 2023
Reply to Unleashed_SM
@SaintCelestian But it's an ecchi.
@Unleashed_SM Look, I get the sense that you're very passionate about your ability to see animated nipples. We'll just agree to disagree about the importance of them and leave it at that.
Apr 10, 12:10 PM

Nov 2016
Biggest boobs in mystery since Occultic Nine. What am I talking about those boob physiques are still unmatched

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 10, 12:21 PM
Apr 2014
I ended up enjoying the first episode a lot, I really like the art style and the story seems good. Also ironically despite being censored it is still the best ecchi currently airing so far. I just wish anime studios would go back to light beams while airing with uncensored BDs or something similar.
Apr 10, 12:33 PM
Nov 2022
Reply to velvetnyan
I ended up enjoying the first episode a lot, I really like the art style and the story seems good. Also ironically despite being censored it is still the best ecchi currently airing so far. I just wish anime studios would go back to light beams while airing with uncensored BDs or something similar.
@velvetnyan "it is still the best ecchi currently airing so far" I mean, is that a high bar to reach in a season with literally no other ecchi shows at all?

"light beams while airing" I mean that's still a practice. Just look at Goddess Cafe Terrace. The problem is that even in the BD releases they don't remove the steam and light beams anymore, which was also the case with Cafe Terrace. And that one was an ecchi too.
Apr 10, 12:45 PM
Nov 2022
Reply to SaintCelestian
@Unleashed_SM Look, I get the sense that you're very passionate about your ability to see animated nipples. We'll just agree to disagree about the importance of them and leave it at that.
@SaintCelestian we are free to complain about the censorship just as much as you are free to talk about the plot and writing. I always find it funny how anytime someone dares to call an anime out on its censorship, you all immediately start saying things like "it's not important" or "why so desperate, go somewhere else" just to excuse the censorship.
Apr 10, 12:47 PM
Apr 2020
If you like stuff such as dark gathering and summertime rendering, this show seems to be similar to those. First episode was very interesting in my opinion ans i’m excited for more!
Apr 10, 12:48 PM

Jul 2022
An intriguing and mysterious start, I'm curious to know who Ren is and what he does. Also, the girl who appeared at the beginning seems to be his sister.
The OP and ED are fantastic and there are two big reasons not to skip them. Let's see what happens, but I really enjoy anime with chilling mysteries.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kaii to Otome to Kamikakushi Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - 27 minutes ago

2 by KANLen09 »»
34 seconds ago

Poll: » Kaii to Otome to Kamikakushi Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Apr 3

52 by bahimiron »»
Apr 29, 10:54 PM

Poll: » Kaii to Otome to Kamikakushi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Apr 3

73 by MegamiRem »»
Apr 24, 8:41 AM

» about the romance in the show...

abj314 - Apr 11

6 by alpacaqn »»
Apr 23, 12:35 AM

» Is the ending song extremely similar to another song?

APolygons2 - Apr 12

4 by Futter »»
Apr 19, 1:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.