Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 19, 7:58 AM

Nov 2011
Damn, academics in this show is taken previously regarding rankings.

Minami felt uneasiness in herself again, something that has been an ongoing trend for her several episodes. Reina and Tsubasa also seems to be growing closer as they talk more and more. I do find her character likable and having an open mind. She and Tsubasa got along quite well again.

Feb 19, 7:59 AM

May 2020
Dude is as unremarkable as one could be in their life, but I’m still amazed how hard the author is trying to shove this idea of him being a hard worker when it counts on our faces, when in fact this entire idea of him making into the top ten of his year is just a glorified roundabout way to let another super hot girl fall for him seem normal smh.

Also, as unsurprising as ever, this new girl acts super familiar with the dude too like we saw in the last two instances. I’m still figuring out why is it so, but this could take a backseat right now, as I mean for what reason does school’s prettiest girl want to go out with this blank slate??? Just getting good marks and a good rank isn’t even a reason whatsoever tbh. Anyways, expected happened and he got a 3rd rank… let’s get surprised.

Meh. Mother might be the best character here, but this would just warrant some unneeded misunderstanding here.
Feb 19, 11:39 AM

Mar 2021
So happy that Tsubasa was able to get top ten in the exams, am really looking forward to seeing how Minami will react around Tsubasa now
Feb 19, 11:43 AM
Jul 2016
Oh, the classic "if you are not the best of the class in ancient history, you are going to be a failure in life!" trope... 🙄 I want to punch characters like this in the face with a big ass hammer soooo much.
Feb 19, 11:45 AM
Sep 2023
Everyone spends so much time whining and complaining about the main character but still watches. I'll admit he is a bit extra in terms of insecurities and over thinking but those are traits that I definitely have too and for me his anxieties are completely relatable. Over blown for the sake of drama? Sure they are of course. But when it's shows like Watamote or Komi Can't Communicate people think it's funny. Anyways I relate to the main character and understand why making everything a bit extra is an important part of telling the story and if a character pissed me off so much that all I was gonna do is complain I would simply stop watching.
Feb 19, 11:47 AM
May 2018
Reply to BladeX05
Oh, the classic "if you are not the best of the class in ancient history, you are going to be a failure in life!" trope... 🙄 I want to punch characters like this in the face with a big ass hammer soooo much.
@BladeX05 dude you're literally overreacting right now cuz that's literally not what that meant
Feb 19, 11:49 AM
May 2018
Reply to TrekkieNoob
Everyone spends so much time whining and complaining about the main character but still watches. I'll admit he is a bit extra in terms of insecurities and over thinking but those are traits that I definitely have too and for me his anxieties are completely relatable. Over blown for the sake of drama? Sure they are of course. But when it's shows like Watamote or Komi Can't Communicate people think it's funny. Anyways I relate to the main character and understand why making everything a bit extra is an important part of telling the story and if a character pissed me off so much that all I was gonna do is complain I would simply stop watching.
@TrekkieNoob couldn't have said it better myself, nice one
Feb 19, 12:02 PM

Jul 2011
Sadly didn't have a Sayuri study time, which out of the 3, sounds the most relatable.

Minami's mom fanning the flames in the end.
Feb 19, 12:03 PM
May 2021
Bro this dude's luck is crazy, all beauties roam around him lmao
Feb 19, 12:33 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I find Rena really boring for some reason. And the whole situation of people saying "she's soooo beautiful" when her character design really is nothing special makes it a bit weird for me. It feels like a bad case saying it instead of showing it. But I suppose I have to buy what they're telling me for this to work.
FarabeufFeb 19, 12:46 PM
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 19, 12:39 PM

Feb 2019
Ouch rough day for Fuyuki. Not only was she rejected with the study sessions but then Tsubasa goes out with Rena on a date after scoring well on the exam. That’s rough. Fuyuki already was feeling insecure that she couldn’t hang with Tsubasa academically now he’s hanging with the hottest girl in school who everyone looks up to? Next episode is gonna be interesting.

I feel like the mom was kinda instigating by telling Fuyuki that tho. But I get she’s young herself and just looking out for her daughter.

My big issue continues to persist with this series that all these girls just fall in love with the MC purely for existing. Like why the hell is Rena already falling for bro lol. Yea it’s cute and makes for some fun episodes but damn

Rena looked great in kimono!
Marinate1016Feb 19, 1:09 PM
Feb 19, 12:56 PM
Senpai

May 2021
Wow all 3 are cute girls. I could not decide :)
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Feb 19, 1:15 PM
Apr 2022
My guy not even once crossed the thought that going on a date with another hot girl might ruin his chances with his not yet official main girl haha
Feb 19, 1:47 PM

Jul 2014
Reply to Farabeuf
I find Rena really boring for some reason. And the whole situation of people saying "she's soooo beautiful" when her character design really is nothing special makes it a bit weird for me. It feels like a bad case saying it instead of showing it. But I suppose I have to buy what they're telling me for this to work.
@Farabeuf Yeah, if she'd been introduced first it would probably work, but as it is she has the least attractive design of the main three girls by some distance and that makes everyone fawning over her being so beautiful distracting. It's definitely weak writing trying to forcibly endear us to the character when there's not really much to her so far.

My biggest issue with this show at this point is that it's a harem when it would work so much better as a romcom. The only girl our Potato-kun MC has any chemistry with is Fuyuki (though, despite their lack of chemistry, I can understand why Sayuri fell for him, perhaps moreso than I can understand Fuyuki doing so despite their chemistry), so the harem angle feels painfully forced. Even more so when simple romcoms with one male and female lead from the start are very much in fashion at the moment, much more so than conventional harems like this.
Feb 19, 2:12 PM
Aug 2020
it was a good episode

he did his best to not fail the exam without losing his focus...

now,let's see what will happen after the date...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Feb 19, 3:31 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
I was thinking Tsubasa would be helped by all the gals in his quest to get top 10 on the exams but it ended up just being Rena, and after finding out she always ranks first place I guess she’s all you need lol. Only downside to this is that Tsubasa has had to keep secrets from Fuyuki in regards to his private study sessions with Rena, as well as the entire situation with his grandma but I get why he wouldn’t tell her about this, still I think he should have been honest.

And thankfully Rena’s teachings were enough to get Tsubasa to 3rd place so Tokyo is a long forgotten dream now hopefully. Things with Rena didn’t end here tho, because the reward she requested for helping Tsubasa was to go on a date with her, and they did exactly that in classic Japanese clothing, definitely not the type of date you’re used to lol. And Rena sure pulls the look off well, Tsubasa does too, you could probably mistake the era they’re in without context lol, and the date is wholesome and all but Fuyuki ended up finding out since her mom reported it, the way she did it was funny with that text but I do feel bad for Fuyuki, however I am anticipating some tasty drama lol. And lastly we got to see Fuyuki’s little sister, it’s funny that she calls Fuyuki “Big Mii” lol, reminds me of that Foo Fighters song.
Feb 19, 3:49 PM

Oct 2014
Show started ok but its going down a harem route… with no tags for it

Show is still interesting enough but im slowly losing interest
Feb 19, 4:19 PM
Oct 2019
I hate you Japanese people who always create 3 girls and make the protagonist end up with the most annoying of the three, Natsukawa is 1000x better than Mii for love, see
Feb 19, 4:37 PM

May 2019
I think Tsubasa could've communicated with Minami a little better so that she could at least understand that he's under pressure to do good even though he was afraid that she would blame herself. At least that would've avoided the situation that happened in this episode but Minami has not allowed misunderstandings to persist in past episodes so hopefully this one won't either.
Feb 19, 4:48 PM

Sep 2023
Tsubasa should have helped Fuyuki study more! Keeping his study sessions with Rena and the reason why he wants to perform well in the finals from Fuyuki felt really wrong...
Feb 19, 4:59 PM

Apr 2022
harem route eh, i actually had no idea this was gonna have that. rena likes historical stuff, kinda like miku from qq.
Feb 19, 5:05 PM

Nov 2023
This episode was alright.

Tsubasa studied with Rena and placed third in the entire school. He then went on a date with her as a reward.

I don't like how Tsubasa didn't communicate with Minami about why he was distancing himself from her, but oh well.
Feb 19, 6:22 PM
Oct 2019
My boy really build up his Harem.

"It should have been me, not Him"
(All of us when watching this Anime)

Also I really like Reina Ueda smooth voice sounds.
Feb 19, 6:43 PM
May 2020
tsubasa got top three, his grandma lowkey is an opp
Feb 19, 6:45 PM

Feb 2014
Reply to Softhenic03
Dude is as unremarkable as one could be in their life, but I’m still amazed how hard the author is trying to shove this idea of him being a hard worker when it counts on our faces, when in fact this entire idea of him making into the top ten of his year is just a glorified roundabout way to let another super hot girl fall for him seem normal smh.

Also, as unsurprising as ever, this new girl acts super familiar with the dude too like we saw in the last two instances. I’m still figuring out why is it so, but this could take a backseat right now, as I mean for what reason does school’s prettiest girl want to go out with this blank slate??? Just getting good marks and a good rank isn’t even a reason whatsoever tbh. Anyways, expected happened and he got a 3rd rank… let’s get surprised.

Meh. Mother might be the best character here, but this would just warrant some unneeded misunderstanding here.
@Softhenic03 I completely understand you, the grandma laid her expectations out of nowhere and it is not even like MC went to Hokkaido because he wanted, so when she says: "I will send you back to Tokyo if you don't rank within top 10", it is not like he was shown as: 1- he studied really hard; 2- he decided to go to Hokkaido.

TBH I was really digging this anime at the start with the gyaru doing cute things, but this MC is turning so pathetic, why can't we have some cool gyaru story without being ruined by the male MC?
Feb 19, 6:47 PM

Jul 2022
Tsubasa has to rank among the top 10 in exams, or else he'll be sent back to Tokyo. This is where Rena comes in, assisting Tsubasa since she is the best in their class. Poor Minami was completely ignored by Tsubasa and couldn't achieve good grades.

Tsubasa managed to pass with Rena's help, and as a reward, Rena asked for a date, during which she revealed her full beauty.

Now, Minami's mother has informed her about Tsubasa being on a date. How will this turn out? Honestly,

I find it hard to choose a favorite at the moment; each of the three has something unique, and you know what they say – if you can't choose one, go for them all.
Feb 19, 7:10 PM

Jul 2016
Glad Tsubasa got into the Top 10. That should keep grandma at bay for now.

That said, I'm curious to see what Minami will do next episode. I'm not expecting some major drama out of the date with Rena but maybe next week we will see our blonde gal finally realizing she likes Tsubasa.
Feb 19, 7:26 PM

Dec 2016
Elevation? Types of trees? WTF are they teaching these kids in Japan's highschool. I would understand these would be important in some agriculture college, but in here?

Meh, the whole date was so shoe horned. If Renna is so obsessed with japanese clothes, why didn't she just tried to get closer to grumpy grandma since she wears that crap clothes all the time and has her shitty house filled with old fart parafernale. They walk around in circles on the streets with 5 inches of snow and neither of them thought of any destination before even leaving house? Who the heck does that?

Harem anime has some of the laziest writing, but at least some of them manage to be creative, this is just that, lazy.
KimurahFeb 19, 7:31 PM
Feb 19, 7:52 PM

Dec 2016
Reply to TrekkieNoob
@TrekkieNoob

This is like saying, "hey if you don't like your country, why don't you move somewhere else?" That's some really ass backwards mentality. People will complain about their situation in hopes of their goverment providing a solution. In here we don't expect anything to get better because that's how the cookie crumbles with cheap writing, but at least it serves as you know DISCUSSION topic. Your poor expectation that discussion boards should be nothing but posts filled with praises because anything remotely negative hinders or hurt someone's feelings only promotes mediocre shows to get noted for being mediocre (kinda similar to amazon reviews on cheap crap made in sweat shops with tons of 5 star reviews by bots).

WTF does Watamote & Komi has anything to do with this show from the dollar store? Neither of those are harem shows and even if those have their flaws, either the production values (In Komi's case) or the writing (in Watamote) made them excel in the topics and settings they established. This show will be forgotten once the season is over while the two afore mentioned will still be remembered for their highlights.

Your argument is the most basic whataboutism kind of reply, not to mention completely ignorant on how discussion boards work.
Feb 19, 8:41 PM
Mar 2015
our boi goes on a date with his neighbor after she tutors him into the top 3
Feb 19, 8:56 PM

Oct 2020
Reina is very quick one to ask Tsubasa on a date first.
Feb 19, 9:17 PM
Apr 2013
EP 7

It was only a week ago but it felt so long. hmm.
Also some weirdness but what do i know

Soo anyway. last time 3rd girl rena showed up, but we had some kind of dorama going on. oh nyoh

Anyway that was a weird cliffhanger
Rena and minami still havent met each other yet. sayuri had almost no screentime unfortunately
And this ep minami got shafted quite a bit as well
Not sure if minami's imouto will show up more

EDIT: Honestly I feel like people have this tendency to jump ship to the new girls. Recency bias?
CocoaGalaxyFeb 19, 9:43 PM
Feb 19, 9:44 PM

Sep 2018
Yeah OK, the writing is cheap, but the interactions and characters are what I mostly enjoy in this one.
Feb 19, 10:41 PM

Oct 2017
Rena senpai so adorable, love her. Need more. More mama Fuyuki, keep em coming. Sucks to be Minami right now.
Feb 19, 10:49 PM
Oct 2021
I'm not going to lie, who are you choosing between the three girls we've been introduced to so far? I'm choosing Akino. 😂🤷‍♂️
Feb 20, 12:08 AM
Sep 2018
I want to make love with fuyuki and her mommy
Feb 20, 1:33 AM

Jan 2023
Not my favorite episode so far, probably because we don't see a lot of Minami in this one, but still I'm looking forward to next week to see how she reacts to the news of Tsubasa being on a 'date' with another girl!
Feb 20, 1:49 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Reply to Atavistic
@Farabeuf Yeah, if she'd been introduced first it would probably work, but as it is she has the least attractive design of the main three girls by some distance and that makes everyone fawning over her being so beautiful distracting. It's definitely weak writing trying to forcibly endear us to the character when there's not really much to her so far.

My biggest issue with this show at this point is that it's a harem when it would work so much better as a romcom. The only girl our Potato-kun MC has any chemistry with is Fuyuki (though, despite their lack of chemistry, I can understand why Sayuri fell for him, perhaps moreso than I can understand Fuyuki doing so despite their chemistry), so the harem angle feels painfully forced. Even more so when simple romcoms with one male and female lead from the start are very much in fashion at the moment, much more so than conventional harems like this.
@Atavistic Agree completely with all your points of this. Of course they have to go with the source material, but this would have worked better as a romcom and kept the focus there.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 20, 3:13 AM

Nov 2017
Jelly arc started?
Feb 20, 3:14 AM

Nov 2017
Reply to HaremKing01
I want to make love with fuyuki and her mommy
@HaremKing01

Based Harem king :D
Feb 20, 12:32 PM
Apr 2021
Holy shit bro I don’t usually say this about a lot of girl anime characters but Rena is so fucking beautifully hot it’s insane her eyes are so sparkly colorful and her voice is so soothing to listen to and she’s direct and straightforward when it comes to making decisions, she might be best girl in this entire show tbh😫😫🥰

Tbh I thought Tsubasa was gonna score in the top 5 I wasn’t expecting him to get into the top 3 bro worked hella hard on this test just to not go back to Tokyo👍🏽👍🏽

I feel bad for Minami we didn’t get to see a lot of her in this episode same with Sayuri
Feb 20, 1:22 PM

Feb 2014
Considering how much pressure he had on his shoulders, I can understand Tsubasa's focus on studying on his own and being reluctant to help out Minami and Sayuri with their studies, but at the same time, he didn't hesitate in saying yes to Rena's offering to tutor him since she's the best ranking student at the whole school. As a bonus, she even threw in a condition that if he ranked high enough, she wanted to go out on a date with him.

The end result? Tsubasa aced it by ranking in 3rd place. In contrast, Sayuri got a slightly above average score, but Minami placed rather poorly. It doesn't seen like she failed it, but at the same time, she wasn't happy with her results. Her enthusiasm with studying wasn't there, but it would've helped her more if she did more of it herself. ^^'

It also only felt fitting that Minami's mother would spot Tsubasa and Rena having their walking date and text Minami all about it. I hope it doesn't lead to a misunderstanding, but either way, it does make me look forward to seeing what'll happen next with Minami here.
Feb 20, 4:39 PM

Aug 2014
why in such anime it is almost always so easy ;/ rank 3? after few days study?
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
Feb 20, 6:18 PM

Mar 2008
I can't help but hate how much pressure is placed in Japanese students in general. If everyone is trying to do so well in school then it's this constant competition. They should be allowed to just do their own best for their own sake not have to be compared to other students. Not that I don't see certain advantages to a sort of competition for placements but there is a limit to how far someone can go before it breaks them.

Poor Fuyuki is going to be emotionally fuyucked having to hear about the date.

Softhenic03 said:

From all the info we have been given this school likely doesn't have many students so being in the top 10 or even top 5 isn't as big a deal as it sounds. There is maybe 200 students tops id guess.

Farabeuf said:

I think the point is she's supposed to be well put together in appearance and mannerisms. Her character design is very pastel with a lot of closely paired colours and their is her voice and speaking method to give an impression of this. Anime in general uses implied things a lot. She also has pierced ears. Pierced ears are very rare in Japan.
traedFeb 20, 6:23 PM
Feb 20, 7:38 PM
Aug 2023
@Softhenic03 You must be new here bc these kinds of shows have been around for literal decades, not even sure why you think they’d go out of their way to try and make this mirror reality
Feb 20, 8:59 PM

Jan 2022
Fuyuki's socks were so cute. Why didn't Tsubasa tell Fuyuki that he needs to study to get top 10 otherwise he has to move back to Tokyo? God, the miscommunication pisses me off. Tsubasa could've told Fuyuki and Sayuri about the math hacks that Rena told him. That would've helped them out a lot :( the smart kids always gatekeep, huh.

Why tf did Rena fall in love with Tsubasa tho? I don't get it. The grandmother pisses me off lol Rena did look cute him her kimono though. Is she...is she fetishizing Japanese clothing tho?

Why did Tsubasa move to Hokkaido anyways? I don't remember the reason.
cooldogmomFeb 20, 9:04 PM
This never updates so that's cool
Feb 20, 11:13 PM
Nov 2018
Gal-mama, you troublemaker! Even if it were cheating, don't tell poor Minami over text! She's depressed enough!

It does suck that Tsubasa couldn't/didn't tell the girls what was going on, or invite them to study as well. Especially as that one session with him apparently really helped Minami. Curse you, kusobaba.

Didn't say it last week, but threatening his housing because 'the sins of the flesh' might be distracting him from getting top grades is some r/insaneparents shit. Especially considering
Academic testing, especially ranked, is a fucking nightmare and you want your kids to do well, but there's a large middle ground between horny slacker NEET and friendless fact-regurgitating automaton.
Glad she got off his case for now.

I appreciate Rena being straightforward. She meets a nice, interesting (to her) guy, she asks him on a date. Even wrapped in the studying reward thing, it was nicely casual and not awkward. I doubt their dynamic will stay that way once she understands the situation with Minami and Sayuri. But as I've always been more interested in the girls' friendships, I want to see how senpai will gel with the trio.

(Also, she's about to graduate. She gonna take a gap year, or go to a local college/job? I imagine she'll stick around somehow, but I hope the in-universe reason isn't just "boy.")
Feb 21, 3:02 AM

Aug 2017
This show is awesome, I'm pleasantly surprised. I love the harem factor. Pink girl is God tier, unbeatable. But I very much like all three. A tsundere gamer, hot gyaru, and a yamato nadeshiko. MC has been blessed from above, other than granny.

cooldogmom said:
Why did Tsubasa move to Hokkaido anyways? I don't remember the reason.

I don't think it was covered. I am sure it will come up later. I do not read manga.

Treyv0n said:
Holy shit bro I don’t usually say this about a lot of girl anime characters but Rena is so fucking beautifully hot it’s insane her eyes are so sparkly colorful and her voice is so soothing to listen to and she’s direct and straightforward when it comes to making decisions, she might be best girl in this entire show tbh

Yeah she's very perfect

Skulljujos said:
My guy not even once crossed the thought that going on a date with another hot girl might ruin his chances with his not yet official main girl haha

Nope it raises the jealousy and attraction. Ladies want men who are desired and validated.

davidyodo24 said:
Also I really like Reina Ueda smooth voice sounds.

Very easy on the ears

Narizor said:
I find it hard to choose a favorite at the moment; each of the three has something unique, and you know what they say – if you can't choose one, go for them all.

I agree, harem route for the win.
CarbonMDFeb 21, 3:22 AM
Feb 21, 3:15 AM
Dec 2022
Tsubasa can surely managed to get into top ten in the final exams. Then he can be free to deal with other matters on hand.
Feb 21, 5:18 AM

Aug 2022
Not gonna lie, Rena is really an angel, she is so beautiful.

So Shiki after reaching third place, according to the agreement with Rena. Will they date after that?

It's a bit of a pity to see Fuyuki find out, but let's wait and see what happens with Shiki.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dosanko Gal wa Namara Menkoi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 25

111 by TechOtaku »»
May 4, 7:32 PM

Poll: » Dosanko Gal wa Namara Menkoi Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 18

104 by TechOtaku »»
May 4, 7:24 PM

» Tsubasa's Personality

FiddlePie - Jan 27

39 by TechOtaku »»
May 3, 2:32 PM

Poll: » Dosanko Gal wa Namara Menkoi Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 22

89 by TechOtaku »»
May 3, 1:38 PM

Poll: » Dosanko Gal wa Namara Menkoi Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 12

90 by 2life »»
Apr 20, 12:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.