Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 21, 7:32 AM

Nov 2013
Pretty nice, really liked Ryuma's personality!
Also crazy that we still don't know how he's related to Zoro.
koluffyJan 21, 7:39 AM
Jan 21, 7:54 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Damn, that last min was quite something, talk about a plot twist! Reminds me of another one-shot that surprised the life out of me, titled "Tokidoki" - Can't take these short tales lightly, lol. Ryuma de King, huh? And that Zoro connection at the end? Wait, is the de supposed to be a D. as well? Gee, this is some way to tie this little story of the past to the OP world.

Cut through bronze which caused him to lose the battle against the Master Swordsman? I don't know why else that could be the case though. Maybe a split second difference, which is usually what it takes for two evenly matched opponents. But he clearly proved there was a world of difference in the end, so it's hard to tell why. Anyway, that aside, the reveal of the King and the final sequence was insane but the buildup with HanaKana-san's character and the unravelling of the mystery behind the famed incident were decently handled.

A part of me wishes there was a bit more of it but that would take away the surprise impact, I suppose.

Romance Dawn next, curious what that'll be about.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 21, 8:23 AM
Jul 2023
Its a solid and good all around ONA.

Plus, there’s a chonky black cat, so 10/10.
Jan 21, 9:32 AM
Jan 2024
nice and inspiring
Jan 21, 9:36 AM

Jul 2022
It's much better than the trailer made it seem
Jan 21, 9:49 AM

Dec 2022
i was actually really surprised when shirano turned out to be a villain
Jan 21, 9:57 AM
Dec 2020
Reply to koluffy
Pretty nice, really liked Ryuma's personality!
Also crazy that we still don't know how he's related to Zoro.
@koluffy we do know, it was revealed in a sbs, you can just search up "zoro family tree" kn google
Jan 21, 9:57 AM

Aug 2011
I had no idea this story was being animated, which they did a phenomenal job with! Also yes I loved the extra chonky cat <333
desu desu binches
Jan 21, 10:00 AM
Dec 2020
Reply to Mainnus

@Mainnus 1000% agree, chonky cats are the best
Jan 21, 10:00 AM
Dec 2020
Reply to Mainnus

@Mainnus 1000% agree, chonky cats are the best
Jan 21, 10:01 AM
Apr 2022
I had minimal expectations before watching because Oda wrote this story before he started working on one piece. And now after watching I'm quite surprised how it turned.
Jan 21, 10:27 AM
Aug 2020
it was better than what i was expecting

1 ep but it was enough to really enjoyed this story...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Jan 21, 10:56 AM
Jan 2024
That was fantastic. Even though it was one episode it made me cry, laugh, and be happy. Oda nailed it again.
Jan 21, 12:31 PM

Mar 2021
I honestly feel like it'd be nice to have a series with the same title and characters as a prequel spin off to One piece coz this left me craving for more. With all the new projects we are getting to see on Oda's works, 1 more wouldnt hurt anyone!!
Jan 21, 1:07 PM

Jun 2010
I have to say I am a bit confused why people wonder why its so short. Because... I am not. Actually do other countries not have "Wanted!" translated? I am german and own my copy of it for like 15-16 years now, if not longer. This special practically covers every part of the One Shot. I like the Manga Version, I read it once or twice a year. I think the special showed all of the story good enough, even though I expected even more brutalism by the dragon. The animatio style is okay to good, even if its not 100% my cup of tea. My only negative thing is that the final cut looked so much more impactful in the manga. And the added bonus easter egg was a nice touch how this material is connected to One Piece.
Jan 21, 1:09 PM

Mar 2010
This was a nice little ova for fans of the OP world. Happy to see a little bit of Zoro in the end. Definitely felt the romance dawn vibes in this short.
Jan 21, 2:26 PM
May 2021
Nice ova!! So this is Ryuma from OP!! Cooool
Jan 21, 2:42 PM

Jul 2020
Loved seeing an earlier and much more lively Ryuuma. The name reveal at the end definitely made it feel like an early One Piece. Oda has also always known how to make truly detestable villains. Honestly I would love it if they made a full series out of this even though there is no more source material to draw from. I think Ryuuma would be a really fun main character. Regardless, even as a single episode it was still great.
Jan 21, 4:07 PM

Mar 2016
This is something I would loved to see animated like 5 or 7 years ago, but still enjoyed even tho it was an one episode story. Man, I know we One Piece Fans are eating gud lately but need more of it!
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Jan 21, 4:32 PM

Apr 2016
It's pretty crazy that they made an anime adaptation of a one-shot from 1994, but I'm not complaining at all. I remember reading this over a decade ago.
This was a pretty solid adaptation with some good directing and a nice art style, cool to see Oda's really early work in his formative years in a modern anime. Pretty awesome to see that iconic panel of Ryuma slaying the dragon animated.
Of course, adding the scene with Zoro from the Thriller Bark arc in One Piece was just the icing on the cake.
Nothing earth-shattering, but it's really just cool that this exists now!
Jan 21, 4:46 PM

May 2013
Felt mediocre from start to finish. Dragon chopping scene was especially a letdown. 5/10.
Jan 21, 5:12 PM
May 2020
what an amazing episode, this is why he's the FLIPPING KING!!!!

also loved how they included the zoro fight during thriller bark
Jan 21, 5:58 PM

Apr 2022
jeeez that was better than i expected, better than the trailer. the directing was so good, big ups to park and the music was great as well. not even getting into how good the sakuga was. ryuuma was surprisingly fun and i like how they added that thriller bark scene with zoro, but now i wish there was more. the east blue vibes really showed. netflix caught another dub with another one piece related entry.
Jan 21, 6:11 PM

Nov 2016
Cool that they added the bit of Ryuma's body giving Zoro the Shusui at the end, even tho it's something that could be considered a spoiler for anyone who hasn't watched One Piece or reached Thriller Bark yet.

Really enjoyed this one-shot adaptation.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 21, 6:21 PM

Sep 2018
All I knew was that it was from Oda way back in the day, was not ready for that reveal at the end XD Pretty cool little short overall, though nothing incredible.
Jan 21, 6:59 PM

Feb 2020
Simply Oda Genius once again! Doing a lot with little.
NerdasonJan 21, 7:07 PM
Jan 21, 8:13 PM

Mar 2020
That was great. And I cried in the last part. My goat Ryuma-kun. Also i miss Shusui-kun
Oppai check!

111 cm: Hancock
110 cm: Zoro
100 cm: Robin
Jan 21, 9:08 PM
Jan 2023
We Finally get to see Ryuma's Story Gets Adapted into anime, I Really Loved It
Jan 21, 9:11 PM

Jul 2021
Honestly a very nice 1 episode anime.

I loved Ryuma and his character in this along Flare. The animation was very nice i loved the black and white scenes.

The fight between Ryuma and the dragon was solid, i loved how he cut its head off and when he was looking at it on the ground and called it a big lizard i found that to be funny.

I love how in the end its Ryuma who is the king but doesnt know it and the re animated scene between Zoro and Ryuma was nice.

Im also glad Flare got a happy ending.

overall 9/10

I hope to see you again someday Ryuma.

Jan 21, 9:20 PM

Oct 2015
Reply to FMmatron
Cool that they added the bit of Ryuma's body giving Zoro the Shusui at the end, even tho it's something that could be considered a spoiler for anyone who hasn't watched One Piece or reached Thriller Bark yet.

Really enjoyed this one-shot adaptation.
@FMmatron
fraud hawk make way tbh
zoro gonna clear
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Jan 21, 9:55 PM
Apr 2021
I’m not gonna lie to you I was really surprised that Shirano was the main villain in all this and the way he was a villain was just purely rotten I mean bro is just crooked to the bone

I liked Ryuma’s personality he’s seems like a funny dude and I liked Flare as well she’s really cute and adorable but doesn’t act like a damsel in distress yk + she don’t got that one piece build thank god she has a normal body😭🙏🏽

The last bit gave me so much goosebumps man I mean when everything went black and white when Ryuma went to slice up Shirano was cold and him slicing the neck of the dragon was so cool to see on screen, so now we got a glimpse of what Ryuma would look like cutting a dragons neck off🤩
Jan 21, 10:43 PM
May 2022
This was really good i hope they animate Ace's Story Next (which is a seperate manga detailing Ace's Story) but i really hope that gets animated in the near future
Jan 21, 11:48 PM

Oct 2016
I wasn’t expecting much from this ONA, but it delivered so hard. I didn’t see the Shirano twist coming, and I didn’t see the twist of Ryuma already being the strongest swordsman without knowing. It all came together so beautifully. The only thing I didn’t understand was how Ryuma lost to Shirano at the beginning if he was actually stronger. Maybe I missed something. Overall, now I just really want a series following this version of Ryuma since he was such an interesting character. (9/10)
Jan 22, 12:47 AM

Dec 2018
Damn I wish this was a whole movie. I wasn't expecting anything but I think I might give it one of my rare 10s. Maybe I'll change that later but this was beautiful.
Jan 22, 2:15 AM
Jul 2021
boring and uninspired. Loda was washed even back then I AM CONVINCED kishimoto had the pen in pre timeskip. Cause no way that's the same dude who wrote this and also Lano
Jan 22, 3:30 AM

Aug 2021
Cool last bit there, connecting this to One Piece.
Jan 22, 4:35 AM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
Omg!!! That end scene!! Giving this a 9 because of that 😍😍 was tossing up between a 7 and an 8 for the most part

Had my mouth open for like 20 seconds at the end. Even though I’ve obviously seen that One Piece scene it was still awesome as hell XD

Great one-shot. Hard to call it canon unless Wano used to look like a cowboy movie back in the day XD (and non-artificial dragons existed)

Can deffs see the inspiration for Mihawk in Shirano

The Shimotsuki’s are goated (if you know, you know)
Jan 22, 5:01 AM

Dec 2012
As someone who has watched the Romance Dawn prototype adaptation, my expectations for this OVA weren't THAT high, but I was still looking forward to it. Now after having watched it, I can say it was awesome. Definitely had that Oda feel to it and some good twists.
Jan 22, 6:03 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
All I had was chills and tons of emotions once we hit the scene when the truth came out and straight up until the end when it basically got confirmed that this was the same guy who Zoro fought in Thriller Bark

I'd love a series following Ryuma straight up until his death
Jan 22, 6:50 AM

Aug 2014
Could have done more. There was barely any story to tell and it still felt rushed, wish they made this a 40 minutes episode and added some more stuff, as it is now it feels slow yet rushed af.
Ruka desu.
Jan 22, 9:58 AM
Jan 2021
Reply to Ozelot
I have to say I am a bit confused why people wonder why its so short. Because... I am not. Actually do other countries not have "Wanted!" translated? I am german and own my copy of it for like 15-16 years now, if not longer. This special practically covers every part of the One Shot. I like the Manga Version, I read it once or twice a year. I think the special showed all of the story good enough, even though I expected even more brutalism by the dragon. The animatio style is okay to good, even if its not 100% my cup of tea. My only negative thing is that the final cut looked so much more impactful in the manga. And the added bonus easter egg was a nice touch how this material is connected to One Piece.
@Ozelot i totally agree with you, it was rushed; given the fact that I had trouble reading the subs 🫠. It could have been easily a 40 min episode
Jan 22, 1:54 PM

Jan 2016
I was very confused by the cover art, as I heard this was Zoro's Ancestor, Ryuma, and that guy looks nothing like Ryuma we know. I thought it might be since these pre-dates the release of One Piece. As soon as we saw him though, I knew.
I agree with comments elsewhere that Ryuma seems like a fusion of Luffy and Zoro. I honestly expected his hair to be blue, surprising it's black. More like Zoro though, when he saw what had happened, I knew he would explode. Was giving me flashbacks to the hedgehogs death, or people joking about wasting food.

Shusui being already a black blade at the time of this ONA was surprising. Apparently this isn't the first time he saved people. We'll likely never see him fight whoever the King is then, but if he keeps this up, I see why his grave and sword are a huge part of Wano. Also funny seeing Wano as a wild-wild west place over 800 years in the past (over 800 because I assume Ryuma pre-dates the voice centaury, I might need to check some stuff.)

I agree with chonky cat comments, but I gave 4/5, this was a really good ONA, but for whatever reason I wasn't feeling it though when I knew when Ryuma saw what was going on he would pop off, and i was a bit emotional as Flare is definitely devastated to find the truth. I'm glad they adapted this as O D. A decided to include the character since Thriller Bark and reference further in Wano.

Jan 22, 3:26 PM

Jun 2011
Reply to AHxD_
This was really good i hope they animate Ace's Story Next (which is a seperate manga detailing Ace's Story) but i really hope that gets animated in the near future
@AHxD_ Same! I hope the Ace novel gets animated one day.

This OVA was fun. The transition to zombie Ryuma got me so hyped! I want to see more about Ryuma, things about his adventure.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jan 22, 5:31 PM

Aug 2023
I liked the episode and didn't knew that Shirano will turn out to be villain and that he killed Flare's parents and then pretend to save her so he becomes famous.

the fights were good and that Shimotsuki is a person who everyone thought to be weak but he turn out to be the strongest swordsman there(So don't judge the book by it's cover).

Shimotsuki is he the king they were talking about??.
Jan 22, 10:19 PM

Apr 2020
As a non-One Piece follower, that twist in the end was quite a surprise for me. I was aware that this was OP Mangaka's project but, didn't know it would have a bit of a connection. This is a pretty fun single episode, and I'm sure that not knowing any possibility of this being an OP backstory added a lot to my entertainment from this. But at the same time, that last scene kinda makes me wish I could relate to that OP moment. Maybe someday I'll still be able to catch up to OP... doubt it though. xD

Also, I should've at least gotten a hint when Nakai Kazuya, whose voice I'm familiar with because of Gintama (Toushirou, Hijikata) was narrating in the beginning.
"I will use my ball to make you remember." -- Haruka Kiyomine, 2024
Jan 23, 7:46 AM

Oct 2014
Sucks that it's only a one-shot, would've loved to see a full 12 episode season following Ryuma.
Jan 23, 10:40 AM
Sep 2009
I remember reading this way back when I was in high school, maybe 17 years ago or so. This story and the one with the god were my favorites among Oda's oneshots. But after many years, I realize the story is much more predictable than I initially thought. Also, the panel where he defeated the dragon in the manga left a lasting impression on me, but the anime didn't do the scene justice. Still, great ONA overall. Will definitely recommend my friends.
Jan 23, 12:45 PM
Feb 2014
💔I was liking Shirano. Bastard! Zoro!⚔️🗡️👍
Jan 23, 1:29 PM

Jul 2016
Pretty mediocre overall. Most of the cast was annoying asf and having the villains shouting their evil plans for plot reasons was plain laughable.
Only good things were those two animation cuts with MC beating Captain Hook wannabe and him beheading that dragon.
Jan 23, 1:49 PM

May 2021
Should I have to watch wano arc so that I can understand? I just completed Thriller bark arc. Could someone help me?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is This Part of "One Piece" or Is It a Separate Thing? (Please, No Spoilers)

simonitro - Jan 21

18 by Zarutaku »»
Mar 29, 2:25 PM

» does this contain one piece spoilers?

fatnat1234 - Mar 12

7 by YahiyaX777L »»
Mar 29, 2:16 PM

» OST name please!!?

_txhsin__ - Jan 22

6 by Conqueror12 »»
Jan 28, 5:55 AM

» Trailer and cast unveiled

Dbagas8 - Jan 14

4 by Khurrama »»
Jan 16, 11:52 AM

» Premier time for this ONA

Anime_Lover_ID - Jan 6

1 by Yeshaiah2015yesh »»
Jan 8, 4:33 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.