Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jan 19, 11:22 PM
Dec 2023
peak fiction!!!!!
Jan 19, 11:32 PM
Apr 2023
i think i have a thing for exam arcs in anime
Jan 19, 11:59 PM
Jan 2013
Reply to Smilomaniac
Easily the least interesting part of the show so far.

The idea of the 'Stille' itself is fine, it's a tricky bird with a comedic surprise element to it that sets up an interesting conundrum. For about half an episode. Dragging this on across multiple is unforgivable.

The exam seemed like a really fun idea, I'm sure most were looking forwards to the hidden power level elf showing everyone else how it's done or that there'd be something really challenging and interesting even for her to deal with, but then as it goes it keeps getting dumber and dumber.

Making it a group effort decides the results by luck.
Not only do you risk not having the actual best (on merit) complete the exam because the two others drag them down, but you get some of the worst mages passing because they happened to be with those who can do it by themselves (provided the group passes together).
Capturing the bird is an interesting premise, until you realize that this isn't about a mage proving their worth, it's about being able to figure out an esoteric puzzle with no practical value - Don't get me wrong, I understand the theme and importance of mana detection (which has now gone on for a bit much), but surely there has to be far better ways of testing this specific ability without even giving it away.

Put a 'Stille' in a high ceiling room with plenty of places where it can hide. "There's a bird in here, tell me where it is." "Okay, very good, now how would you go about capturing it? You have 20 minutes to devise a plan and execute it."

Ah but instead they put probably the single most important resource in this world, mages, at risk by pitting them against each other in a Battle Royale, only to get maybe the best, maybe the worst of them coming out of it.

Notice, by the way, how apart from a couple of people everyone looks like they're from a high school anime. Is anyone else feeling that the "rank 1" exam is only being taken by people who should not have any business doing so?

Until this point the story's been a joy, but not only is this a little too out there, the dialogue is mind numbingly boring and the edgy antagonistic blowhards that have been introduced feel incongruent. I just hope it's all resolved within a couple of minutes of the next episode and that it moves on fast.
@Smilomaniac

One thing I want to note is that the Continental Magic Association is definitely proud and egotistical. If exams like these are common, then it shows how little they care about actually conducting a proper exam. If a person fails an exam, they could just take the exam again in 3 years. If they die, it's having someone careless enough to die from an exam isn't worthy of being a prestigious first-class mage. There's no point in arguing why the exam is flawed, when they are designed to be flawed.

Take note where their pride comes from and how it relates to the current day. The prestige of a first-class mage likely grew since the defeat of the demon king. No longer are the best mages sent to war against the demon king, but rather they now represent the pinnacle of magic society. At some point mage lives have lowered in value, especially now that they aren't necessary for war. Now, the loss of a few mages is no longer a devastating loss.

However you may ask -- "What about the demon kings remnants?" Well, they're called remnants for a reason. How much of a threat are these demons really without the demon king? The magic association spent 50 years building up their ego and if they don't see these demons as a threat, I find it reasonable to continue with these absurd exams, even if I find the view outdated.
Jan 20, 2:51 AM

Feb 2014
Things are getting more and more interesting in this first exam of catching a Stille, with time getting closer towards the end.

I enjoyed seeing how the other groups were faring in the exam. Some were handling it betters than others and, sadly, a few did get killed off by the monster birds. Denken's group in particular was a highlight, seeing how thoughtful and cautious he is with leading his group. His insight was happening while Frieren's group finally sprung into action.

Kanne and Lawine did the hardest work of running around the sealed area, with one freezing the main lake altogether, while the other dipped a bit of mana in any scattered ponds or puddles that a Stille could drink from. With that in motion, Frieren was able to suppress her mana enough so that a Stille landed on her shoulder, giving her the perfect chance to capture the bird.

However, another way of capturing a bird is to attack a group that already caught one, since you need to hold onto the bird until the timer runs out. Shortly after capturing the bird, Denken's group sprung into action, so it'll be interesting to see how Frieren, Kanne and Lawine will handle their opponents next time.

Same goes for Fern's group, as they also have a tough battle against a group led by the crazy looking Lugner. Going by the title of the next episode, someone within these groups might be killed off. Either way, I'm expecting more beautifully animated action, which is always a great thing. =)
Jan 20, 3:05 AM
Aug 2013
chefs kiss - need more
Jan 20, 4:13 AM

Aug 2022
Can't wait to see Frieren fight those guys!
Jan 20, 4:18 AM

Mar 2022
I don't know about you guys but Fern has become some really badass mage.
In a world without love, death means nothing.
Jan 20, 4:32 AM

May 2015
These shounenish fight scenes with a bunch of self-conceited teens with their untimely battle monologues (who additionally are more focused on looking cool than on what they are actually doing) bore the hell out of me. I hope this arc won't be dragged out long.
Jan 20, 4:34 AM
Dec 2023
Yet another great episode again. Looks like we are gonna get a lot of action next episode.
Jan 20, 4:35 AM
Apr 2023
Bro lawine and kanne is so strong damn, lawine can freeze the whole lake and kanne can do something with rain...
Jan 20, 5:46 AM

Jun 2016
thins are heating up from this episode !!

Jan 20, 6:30 AM
Aug 2021
I like how humble Frieren is, despite being the strongest and could do the test herself, she still relies on her teammates.

We also get to meet more mages in this episode, rather interesting to see some mages who have failed the test before and repeat the test 3 years later.

Jan 20, 7:25 AM

May 2020
I love how consistently beautiful Frieren is, but I'm really not feeling this arc. The first cour of this show kept surprising me and moving me in ways I didn't expect. But so far, the mage test deal has been somewhat predictable and less-than-engaging for me.
Jan 20, 7:48 AM
Jan 2019
Frieren is definitely the type of girl that would freeze the whole lake even when knowing the risk everyone would have a beef with you because who cares right? Shes’s the strongest after all.
Jan 20, 8:12 AM
Jun 2020
Reply to Smilomaniac
Easily the least interesting part of the show so far.

The idea of the 'Stille' itself is fine, it's a tricky bird with a comedic surprise element to it that sets up an interesting conundrum. For about half an episode. Dragging this on across multiple is unforgivable.

The exam seemed like a really fun idea, I'm sure most were looking forwards to the hidden power level elf showing everyone else how it's done or that there'd be something really challenging and interesting even for her to deal with, but then as it goes it keeps getting dumber and dumber.

Making it a group effort decides the results by luck.
Not only do you risk not having the actual best (on merit) complete the exam because the two others drag them down, but you get some of the worst mages passing because they happened to be with those who can do it by themselves (provided the group passes together).
Capturing the bird is an interesting premise, until you realize that this isn't about a mage proving their worth, it's about being able to figure out an esoteric puzzle with no practical value - Don't get me wrong, I understand the theme and importance of mana detection (which has now gone on for a bit much), but surely there has to be far better ways of testing this specific ability without even giving it away.

Put a 'Stille' in a high ceiling room with plenty of places where it can hide. "There's a bird in here, tell me where it is." "Okay, very good, now how would you go about capturing it? You have 20 minutes to devise a plan and execute it."

Ah but instead they put probably the single most important resource in this world, mages, at risk by pitting them against each other in a Battle Royale, only to get maybe the best, maybe the worst of them coming out of it.

Notice, by the way, how apart from a couple of people everyone looks like they're from a high school anime. Is anyone else feeling that the "rank 1" exam is only being taken by people who should not have any business doing so?

Until this point the story's been a joy, but not only is this a little too out there, the dialogue is mind numbingly boring and the edgy antagonistic blowhards that have been introduced feel incongruent. I just hope it's all resolved within a couple of minutes of the next episode and that it moves on fast.
you are in for a wild ride, just wait until the 2nd and 3rd part of the exam
Jan 20, 8:25 AM
Jun 2020
Reply to Comander-07
Do we know how Ferns team captured the Stille? Honestly they seem like a perfect test, but also not really all that spicy for THE highest class of mages. Still having third and second classes die like flies to the monsters seems like a bad idea for the country? I guess if they lose to monsters like that they are weak anyway.

Curious if there is a deeper reason for why magic is rarer now than Frieren remembers. Sounds like an important bit of lore.

This show gets labeled as SoL but the action is actually really good, so Im looking forward to a good fight next ep and maayyybe Frieren showing off a little, because everyone there seems like small fry and I think after she ended Aura first class mages should be better if demons ever come around.

PS: Only 9 eps left now. I hope we will be graced with a second season, the quality is just too good
@Comander-07
Comander-07 said:
Do we know how Ferns team captured the Stille?

the same way frieren captured it

Jan 20, 8:31 AM
Dec 2013
I liked it when the giant bird drank some water.
Jan 20, 8:47 AM

Sep 2014
Reply to JOJOOOOOOOOOOOO
@Comander-07
Comander-07 said:
Do we know how Ferns team captured the Stille?

the same way frieren captured it

@JOJOOOOOOOOOOOO so fern sat completely still next to a body of water and waited?
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jan 20, 9:17 AM
Jun 2020
Reply to Comander-07
@JOJOOOOOOOOOOOO so fern sat completely still next to a body of water and waited?
@Comander-07 her mana concealment is better than frieren and she also has bird capturing magic
Jan 20, 9:57 AM
Dec 2023
Stuff is getting down to business now!
Jan 20, 10:08 AM

May 2014
Reply to Ishitateso
These shounenish fight scenes with a bunch of self-conceited teens with their untimely battle monologues (who additionally are more focused on looking cool than on what they are actually doing) bore the hell out of me. I hope this arc won't be dragged out long.
@Ishitateso Why people complicate things? I guess you must hate shounen, but why don't you try to enjoy different things instead of hurting your own experience by little details that much?

They are just mages doing an exam, different mages, with different personalities, with different approaches for the same problem, with different backgrounds, try to observe how they conflict and interacts with each other. For me, not even for a second, they are trying to be cool for the sake of being cool, the combat in Frieren is very objetive and even "realistic".
Jan 20, 11:01 AM
Jun 2022
Man, this show made me feel like I'm frieren. 20 minutes just pass like, 2 minutes ?

Haven't watched the showed that made me feel time went so fast like this for while.
Jan 20, 11:08 AM

May 2015
Frieren is the Disney princess!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jan 20, 11:46 AM

May 2015
Reply to Shafwan_Dito
@tekalook Yes. She basically a storm caster. Lawine is the same, when there is rain, her spell could be dangerous as she basically can turn the whole rain drop to become a ice rock.
@Shafwan_Dito Lawnie can't control water just Kanne, and Kanne can't freeze water only manipulate it. That's why they're so good as a team.
billybubJan 20, 11:58 AM
Jan 20, 12:11 PM

Nov 2012
Once again showing the genius and battle experience of Frieren and Fern.
Frieren devises a plan befitting her monster strength.
Fern on the other hand, calmly toys with her opponent with no intention of injuring them until she gets the information she wants.
The moment Fern learns that her teammate is in danger, the fact that she doesn't want to fight Wirbel because he's stronger than her and says "So desu ka?" tells you all you need to know about what her reaction/next action is going to be.
SagerronanJan 20, 12:49 PM
Jan 20, 12:23 PM
Feb 2021
Reply to Sagerronan
Once again showing the genius and battle experience of Frieren and Fern.
Frieren devises a plan befitting her monster strength.
Fern on the other hand, calmly toys with her opponent with no intention of injuring them until she gets the information she wants.
The moment Fern learns that her teammate is in danger, the fact that she doesn't want to fight Wirbel because he's stronger than her and says "So desu ka?" tells you all you need to know about what her reaction/next action is going to be.
Sagerronan said:
Getting told she'd have a have hard time fighting Wirbel fighting with basic spells was amusing. Ehre saying Wirbel was stronger because he fought the REMNANTS of the Demon King's forces when Fern's master was the one that decimated most of the Demon King's army just reaffirms that Fern is in control and could flatten Ehre at any point.

Wirbel is stronger and way more experience then Fern (Fern was able to kill 1 strong demon. Wirbel wage war with demons for 20+ years. Not to mention that situation in the North is way more dangerous then in the area close to Central lands)
+
Wirbel has very convenient magic to win open fight against Fern
Jan 20, 12:35 PM

Nov 2012
Reply to LG545
Sagerronan said:
Getting told she'd have a have hard time fighting Wirbel fighting with basic spells was amusing. Ehre saying Wirbel was stronger because he fought the REMNANTS of the Demon King's forces when Fern's master was the one that decimated most of the Demon King's army just reaffirms that Fern is in control and could flatten Ehre at any point.

Wirbel is stronger and way more experience then Fern (Fern was able to kill 1 strong demon. Wirbel wage war with demons for 20+ years. Not to mention that situation in the North is way more dangerous then in the area close to Central lands)
+
Wirbel has very convenient magic to win open fight against Fern
@LG545 Fair enough
Jan 20, 12:50 PM

Aug 2014
Damn, I can;t wait for fern to fight all out
Check My AnimeList (or click my signature)
My Main Genres: Adventure, Action, Fantasy
My Sub Genres: Slice of Life, Comedy, H&E

Check My Profile, my ranking
What I Watch This Season
Best Character & WAIFU This Season
Best OP/ED Song This Season
Jan 20, 1:11 PM

Aug 2014
Damn, I can;t wait for fern to fight all out

What I Watch This Season
Jan 20, 1:12 PM

Aug 2014
Interesting turn of event. I expect him to get better equipment next episode

What I Watch This Season
Jan 20, 1:56 PM

Sep 2020
Fern doesn't show any emotions while fighting. Probably an effect of being with frieren all the time :P
Jan 20, 3:14 PM
Mar 2019
Another brilliant episode. We get to see the wise Frieren here. Next, we get to see the combat Frieren...or maybe not. I pity the mage party that tries to go against hers.
Jan 20, 3:14 PM
Mar 2019
Another brilliant episode. We get to see the wise Frieren here. Next, we get to see the combat Frieren...or maybe not. I pity the mage party that tries to go against hers.
Jan 20, 3:41 PM

Aug 2013
Reply to Ishitateso
Ishitateso said:

I think this only applies to Wirbel and Ubel but I agree and I fear they might take up most of the screen time. I don't mind Denken though, as he is mature, wise and logical.
Jan 20, 3:49 PM

Mar 2010
Damn I wanted to see more of the battle, twas a great plan set up by frieren. I really want to see both of em let loose.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jan 20, 4:06 PM

Sep 2014
Reply to JOJOOOOOOOOOOOO
@Comander-07 her mana concealment is better than frieren and she also has bird capturing magic
@JOJOOOOOOOOOOOO thats interesting, I guess she has less mana to hide so that helps
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jan 20, 5:12 PM

May 2019
Reply to LG545
Embient said:
Btw I'm wondering why the hell was Übel even allowed to take this exam if she's literally a murderer... But there are real casualties, so I guess they don't care.
It was played as an accident
Embient said:
Btw I'm wondering why the hell was Übel even allowed to take this exam if she's literally a murderer... But there are real casualties, so I guess they don't care.

LG545 said:
It was played as an accident

@LG545 Also, they (the boss) really don't care.
Jan 20, 5:30 PM

May 2019
Reply to Badonkers
Wtf that ending was so abrupt.
@Badonkers
Yeah, the same happened in previous ep. It is because they are faithfully adaptating the manga, avoiding rushing or skips, so it happens that sometimes the ending scene of the episode does not match with the ending scene of the chapter.

In this case it should have ended in the last scene of chapter 40, but advanced a couple pages of the 41.
Jan 20, 6:37 PM
Mar 2019
Patience is a virtue in catching these Birds.
Jan 20, 9:53 PM

Jul 2008
That episode went way too fast. Fern and Frieren about to kick ass next week.
Jan 20, 10:39 PM
Sep 2020
so good i love frieren she's so cute
Jan 20, 11:32 PM
Mar 2021
As a German, I kinda knew you were trolling as soon as you named a character Vogelfutter
Jan 21, 12:46 AM
Jul 2021
Shit is better than peak jujutsu Kaisen FIGHT ME
Jan 21, 12:49 AM
Jan 2024
The display of Frieren's greatness and knowledge in front of others is sublime, in addition to showing us Fern's superiority in being an apprentice to the best magician, a masterpiece of a chapter as Sousou no Frieren has accustomed us to.
Jan 21, 3:21 AM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Man, this episode was so hype. Not only were the conditions to catch a Stille set from the start based on what we know about them, Frieren's plan got her team the attention of everyone but they were able to catch one. Good to see magic fights again with that clean animation as well as the plan being laid out as one of the teams slowly figured it out. I wonder how was Fern's team able to catch one though, like what tactic did they use. Regardless, next episode will probably be a wild display of magic and I'm all for it.

Also, the second opening already sounds more fitting and well animated than the first one. Sorry YAOSOBI but this series needed a more appropriate soing for the slow burner.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Jan 21, 3:49 AM
Aug 2015
So fkn nice, hyped to see if Fern will dominate or not, feeling like she has the magic of thousands of years... A direct decendant of the first human mage who created the magic of humans.
Jan 21, 5:50 AM

Jun 2016
I really liked the animation of magic in this episode.
Jan 21, 6:31 AM
Jun 2007
Hmm so far two teams managed to capture Stille.
Now for some serious mage battles next!
Jan 21, 7:23 AM
Nov 2023
This gonna be amazing🔥
Jan 21, 10:05 AM
Sep 2021
So frieren & her team were successful in their mission, but the other mages are coming towards, what will they do?
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 28 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 22

784 by Exponent1299 »»
37 minutes ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 8

497 by nanajp »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Which mage would you rather have as your mentor?

Moonshine_cookie - Apr 30

35 by Ba-Cii10 »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 16

295 by nanajp »»
12 hours ago

» What if it isn’t real?

Moonshine_cookie - Apr 30

16 by meyve »»
Today, 4:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.