Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 19, 6:58 AM

Nov 2011
Interesting that the exam requires participants to capture a special creature. It seems the task encouragements teamwork since the creature is no pushover.

Not going to lie, I also kinda like the team chemistry this episode, especially from Frieren's group. Fern's group had a more snarky attitude especially with Ubel there. It's interesting that we get to see the talents from the main members and fighting across the battlefield too. Tense episodes with the stakes. Some characters in this episode also had a bit of an ego.
Jan 19, 6:59 AM

May 2020
Frieren holds the superiority here, both in terms of talent and age, so it goes without saying these two girls would simply follow whatever she’d suggest, also I mean she’s acting the mother, so they would anyway lol. Still liked how Fern’s team caught a Stille this early in the game, without doing much, I suppose.

Though to think the plan Frieren devised was to freeze the whole fucking lake seems so much like what she would do lol. It’s simple, you freeze most of the sources of water and those birds would have pretty much no way out to consume one, and then that will be your chance to catch one, or how it’d seem. Liked the panic it stirred lmao.

Denken is someone to keep an eye on, and so is Wirbel. And yeah, the former and his party has already kind of figured out Frieren’s plan. So that’s why Denken was so chill about it, I mean he literally said they’d steal Frieren’s party’s Stille, if they somehow got their hands on it, that is.

Here Frieren got the Stille without doing much, literally lol, and there Denken’s party is already onto her. Won’t end well, for that girl. Fern has her own things to deal with too.
Jan 19, 7:14 AM

Nov 2010
"I'm told not to use other than basic magic. Fighting with modern magicians, that will do."
That's what Frieren would say. Provocative as usual.
Jan 19, 7:16 AM
Sep 2015
It feels like only 5 minutes have pass, and I'm not even close to elf's perception of time!
Jan 19, 7:19 AM

Dec 2021
I can't help but wonder how Fern pulled off capturing the Stille so quickly.

The first test of the First Class Mage Exam involves dividing into groups of three. The task is to capture the meteoric iron bird called the Stille, inhabiting the examination area before sunset. Success requires all members of the party to be present. As capturing Stilles proves challenging, a competitive and survival-oriented atmosphere emerges among the candidates. The strategy devised by Frieren, consisting of Kanne, and Lawine, unfolds.

Denken understands the situation, but actually getting their hands on the bird is a whole different challenge. I can picture Frieren being able to outshine most of the other candidates easily. It's no wonder Frieren isn't a fan of Mage Guilds. How does it make sense to let mages die just because they aimed for rank one without being ready for it? One of the top candidates even thinks being a first-class mage is only about being a symbol. It's not surprising that the country is facing issues.

And using their corpses as bait in the Forest of Death is extremely hardcore.

Jan 19, 7:22 AM

Feb 2021
Btw I'm wondering why the hell was Übel even allowed to take this exam if she's literally a murderer... But there are real casualties, so I guess they don't care.

All translations from Google Translate
8:04 Land is land, ground, place

10:30 Scharf is sharp

10:34 Ehre is honor, glory, credit

14:54 Geisel is hostage

We got some nice worldbuilding. And Frieren's plan was cool, I thought she failed to catch it at first because they kept not showing the Stille lol.
I thought that it's a shame how the ED is only dedicated to Frieren and Fern, but it seems like Stark won't appear much this arc, so it's fine I guess. Justice for my boy!
I loved the background music this episode. The animation was amazing as usual too.
Jan 19, 7:46 AM

Nov 2015
Can't wait for next week's episode. If i were an elf, next week would only feel like a few seconds.
Jan 19, 7:56 AM

Apr 2010
Well it looks like this exam is getting bloody still i wonder if Frieren will go all out for ones, somehow i am reminded of the part with Aura watching this.
Still it's nice seeing Fern doing her thing and showing how she fights, it seems her opponent has respect for her.
Frieren's party also seems pretty capable when they are not fighting each other.
Jan 19, 8:27 AM
Jul 2009
Reply to Softhenic03
Frieren holds the superiority here, both in terms of talent and age, so it goes without saying these two girls would simply follow whatever she’d suggest, also I mean she’s acting the mother, so they would anyway lol. Still liked how Fern’s team caught a Stille this early in the game, without doing much, I suppose.

Though to think the plan Frieren devised was to freeze the whole fucking lake seems so much like what she would do lol. It’s simple, you freeze most of the sources of water and those birds would have pretty much no way out to consume one, and then that will be your chance to catch one, or how it’d seem. Liked the panic it stirred lmao.

Denken is someone to keep an eye on, and so is Wirbel. And yeah, the former and his party has already kind of figured out Frieren’s plan. So that’s why Denken was so chill about it, I mean he literally said they’d steal Frieren’s party’s Stille, if they somehow got their hands on it, that is.

Here Frieren got the Stille without doing much, literally lol, and there Denken’s party is already onto her. Won’t end well, for that girl. Fern has her own things to deal with too.
@Softhenic03

Fern is a prodigy at mana concealment. She's probably the only one in the world that could get close to the Stille. And she probably used the same spell as Frieren to trap it.
Jan 19, 8:44 AM

Aug 2011
No wonder there are deaths during the exam. This test, there are those who are skilled enough to capture a Stille. But that's not the only way to pass the exam as other parties can fight and steal them. Fern got her bird pretty quickly, and right off the bat they were attacked. As for Frieren's party, freezing the lake and then Frieren using herself as a perch with her mana suppression ability was genius, even though there's no guarantee a bird would fly to her. But Denken was waiting for that moment to strike. It's going to be an all-out war now, and I can't wait to see how Frieren's party will defend themselves.
Jan 19, 8:45 AM

Jul 2016
The fact that Fern just uses basic Zoltraaks and barriers and managed to take care of Lugner and his demonic blood magic while not finding an experienced rock mage to be a challenge really speaks to her talent. Kinda curious to see what kind of specialized mage she'd eventually become tho.

It would be hilarious if that one mage trio just spent the entire rest of the exam melting the lake lol
Jan 19, 8:45 AM

Oct 2017
Frieren's plan worked perfectly. Action was cool again but I'm really hyped for the main part of the fight so really looking forward to next episode.
Jan 19, 8:46 AM
Jul 2023
The only funny shot in the entire episode shows how tense and serious the situation really is.

Jan 19, 8:48 AM

Mar 2023
A much more action based arc. Frieren was so patient that the bird just sat on her shoulder. Every production aspect from animation to background music is on point, as usual
Jan 19, 8:50 AM
May 2021
This ep was sooo good, this arc looks interesting!! Animation is clean af. MADHOUSE = 🐐
Jan 19, 8:55 AM
Apr 2022
Reply to phantomfandom
It feels like only 5 minutes have pass, and I'm not even close to elf's perception of time!
@phantomfandom 😭
Jan 19, 9:03 AM

Jul 2011
Now I need to find a Frieren mana scaling.
Lawine having mana to freeze a lake, have a significant ice thickness, and book it that fast. I want to know how her man pool compares to everyone except Frieren's.

Be one with nature. Very elf. Or a Disney princess.
Jan 19, 9:09 AM

Mar 2021
Damn you MadHouse!! Always ending the episodes when it starts getting interesting!!
Jan 19, 9:13 AM

Aug 2015
Denken (the goat) finally makes his appearance and the teams are starting to take action. Nice episode with a great composition as always.

I really need the S2 announcement by Madhouse after episode 28. The next big arc is the best one in the whole manca and with this amount of production level it will be a certified masterpiece.
Jan 19, 9:16 AM
Nov 2022
Very good episode, Frieren showing her enormous skills as a magician, but here what worries me is: How did Fern's team manage to catch the bird so quickly?
Jan 19, 9:39 AM

Apr 2021
Denken has gotten such a beautiful introduction how the deducted the whole situation. And it never felt pretentious or condescending. The scenes around his group wandering the forest were portrayed really calm, but still felt tense through the dialoge and the circumstances they're in.

Showing the passage of time by the lake as a montage, with different monsters appearing and drinking from it, was so delightful. Also believable that Stille wouldn't the first one to appear.

This bit of humor was great as well.
Jan 19, 9:44 AM

Feb 2019
Another great episode. Things are heating up at the first class mage exam.

It’s so cool seeing the various parties different approaches to capturing the Stille. Some are taking the direct path, some want to wait for others to catch one and just steal it, others are doing their own thing. Really gives some insight into the various personalities taking the test and the different types of mages that are out there.

Got our first deaths of the exam too. Cruel, but if you couldn’t survive this you probably weren’t made to be a first class mage

Frieren really did a good job of getting her two party members to chill out and lock in. They were at each other throats like cats and dogs last week, now they’re just going along with Frieren’s plan with no hesitation.

Hiding her mana and just waiting it out was a great idea that paid off big time. The stille just landing on her shoulder was such a cool scene, but of course that attracts people who want to steal it.. next week should be great with the Frieren party fight as well as the Fern party fight. Can’t wait to see what Madhouse cook up

Especially looking forward to seeing smug face girl fight. Love her design
Marinate1016Jan 19, 9:58 AM
Jan 19, 9:45 AM

Jan 2018
It's impressive that Fern was able to catch a Stille before her master Frieren. I wanna know how her party caught one tho.

Frieren's plan to catch a Stille was complicated and risky. But it paid off. Unfortunately, she also made enemies off of other examinees.

Can't wait to see how Fieren and Fern deal with their troubles next episode.
Jan 19, 9:56 AM

Nov 2014
I think it's pointless to drop here just to say that it was another great episode, but... it was another great episode. The only downside is that they had to cut fights - it's going to be another long week waiting for next ep.

I'm pretty amazed that after 19 episodes I still find this anime perfect. No weak arc, episode or even scene. If this keeps up it will be my most deserved 10/10.
Jan 19, 9:59 AM
Mar 2019
Awesome episode. Though I don't understand why people aren't more wary of elves? You're up against someone who has had possibly hundreds of years to hone their craft, but there is no extra precautions taken.

“We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories... And those that carry us forward, are dreams.”
― H.G. Wells, The Time Machine

Jan 19, 10:01 AM

Apr 2022
This episode is such a delightful mix of relaxing and exciting

Jan 19, 10:06 AM

Jan 2009
i wonder how fern was able to capture that bird damn she is really a genius

that cliffhanger is criminal im sure frieren and fern gangs will win
Jan 19, 10:09 AM
Sep 2013
I don't want to skip even one scene in this anime. When was the last time something like this happened?! I don't think they can f*ck it up with the remaining episodes so by now this series is a clear 10/10.
Jan 19, 10:17 AM
Feb 2021
Reply to IzanaSolos
I can't help but wonder how Fern pulled off capturing the Stille so quickly.

The first test of the First Class Mage Exam involves dividing into groups of three. The task is to capture the meteoric iron bird called the Stille, inhabiting the examination area before sunset. Success requires all members of the party to be present. As capturing Stilles proves challenging, a competitive and survival-oriented atmosphere emerges among the candidates. The strategy devised by Frieren, consisting of Kanne, and Lawine, unfolds.

Denken understands the situation, but actually getting their hands on the bird is a whole different challenge. I can picture Frieren being able to outshine most of the other candidates easily. It's no wonder Frieren isn't a fan of Mage Guilds. How does it make sense to let mages die just because they aimed for rank one without being ready for it? One of the top candidates even thinks being a first-class mage is only about being a symbol. It's not surprising that the country is facing issues.

And using their corpses as bait in the Forest of Death is extremely hardcore.
IzanaSolos said:

1-st rank mage is top mage among all humanity. This is more then just a title - it is certify powerhouse
Everybody rely on 1-st rank mage. Especially in last 30 years considering that demons start to appear in big numbers
Often 1-st rank mage act as team leader and should be able to hold his ground against Greater Demons (Aura lvl demons), so if he is a 1-st rank mage in title only - he would end up dead and people who rely on him also end up being dead
Thing is - every participant in exam know about all risk. The also know that in last +\- 12 years nobody were able to pass the exam.
So if they decide to take exam no matter what - it is their choice and responsibility for such choice
Jan 19, 10:18 AM
Feb 2021
Reply to Embient
Btw I'm wondering why the hell was Übel even allowed to take this exam if she's literally a murderer... But there are real casualties, so I guess they don't care.

All translations from Google Translate
8:04 Land is land, ground, place

10:30 Scharf is sharp

10:34 Ehre is honor, glory, credit

14:54 Geisel is hostage

We got some nice worldbuilding. And Frieren's plan was cool, I thought she failed to catch it at first because they kept not showing the Stille lol.
I thought that it's a shame how the ED is only dedicated to Frieren and Fern, but it seems like Stark won't appear much this arc, so it's fine I guess. Justice for my boy!
I loved the background music this episode. The animation was amazing as usual too.
Embient said:
It was played as an accident
Jan 19, 10:23 AM
Feb 2021
Reply to LuisSV23
Very good episode, Frieren showing her enormous skills as a magician, but here what worries me is: How did Fern's team manage to catch the bird so quickly?
LuisSV23 said:
Due Fern talent in mana restricting. She basicly become invisible for Stille
Jan 19, 10:37 AM

Dec 2022
if frieren wasnt a 10 before it sure definitely now we get to see the true mage vs mage i am quite hyped for this battle
Jan 19, 10:44 AM

Jan 2024
Wonderful episode. So beautifull with great music. And now the fights mage vs mage start again. Im so looking forward to this. The fights around episode 10 were amazing.
Jan 19, 10:50 AM

Jan 2011
man i hope we get a cool battle next week
Jan 19, 10:52 AM

May 2019
Man this episode went by too fast as has many others beforehand. To me Denken shows experience and knowledge the way that Kraft has before and of course Frieren herself. Speaking of which, Fern also has been taught great by Frieren and Heiter and I don't think she'll have trouble dealing with the mage girl she's fighting.

With the next episode's title being "Necessary Killing" I'm thinking a mage or 2 will die (not counting the ones that got killed by those giant bird beasts), possibly Übel's opponent among others.
Jan 19, 10:58 AM

Jan 2022
Wait if Kanne can control rain droplet wouldn't she be super OP if it was raining? NAHHHH THEY DID MY GIRL DIRTY WITH THE BARRIER
Jan 19, 11:13 AM

Aug 2017
Reply to JustAnotherShiro
I think it's pointless to drop here just to say that it was another great episode, but... it was another great episode. The only downside is that they had to cut fights - it's going to be another long week waiting for next ep.

I'm pretty amazed that after 19 episodes I still find this anime perfect. No weak arc, episode or even scene. If this keeps up it will be my most deserved 10/10.
@P_R
P_R said:
So much the same for me! I'm just really in love with Frieren as a character and I also love that this last episodes kinda have her spirit ahah slow episodes where the climatic peak does not go unnoticed and every week you have full enjoyment of the episode. The build up is amazing. I did not know they cut fights, I'm eager to see what they deliver next episode. Looking at it having Aniplex and TOHO I really hope to see a bang of an episode (or episodes) before the 28th, I love waiting every week for it. May the fantasy battles come with this amazing overall quality!
Jan 19, 11:32 AM
Nov 2023
Easily the least interesting part of the show so far.

The idea of the 'Stille' itself is fine, it's a tricky bird with a comedic surprise element to it that sets up an interesting conundrum. For about half an episode. Dragging this on across multiple is unforgivable.

The exam seemed like a really fun idea, I'm sure most were looking forwards to the hidden power level elf showing everyone else how it's done or that there'd be something really challenging and interesting even for her to deal with, but then as it goes it keeps getting dumber and dumber.

Making it a group effort decides the results by luck.
Not only do you risk not having the actual best (on merit) complete the exam because the two others drag them down, but you get some of the worst mages passing because they happened to be with those who can do it by themselves (provided the group passes together).
Capturing the bird is an interesting premise, until you realize that this isn't about a mage proving their worth, it's about being able to figure out an esoteric puzzle with no practical value - Don't get me wrong, I understand the theme and importance of mana detection (which has now gone on for a bit much), but surely there has to be far better ways of testing this specific ability without even giving it away.

Put a 'Stille' in a high ceiling room with plenty of places where it can hide. "There's a bird in here, tell me where it is." "Okay, very good, now how would you go about capturing it? You have 20 minutes to devise a plan and execute it."

Ah but instead they put probably the single most important resource in this world, mages, at risk by pitting them against each other in a Battle Royale, only to get maybe the best, maybe the worst of them coming out of it.

Notice, by the way, how apart from a couple of people everyone looks like they're from a high school anime. Is anyone else feeling that the "rank 1" exam is only being taken by people who should not have any business doing so?

Until this point the story's been a joy, but not only is this a little too out there, the dialogue is mind numbingly boring and the edgy antagonistic blowhards that have been introduced feel incongruent. I just hope it's all resolved within a couple of minutes of the next episode and that it moves on fast.
Jan 19, 11:33 AM
Senpai

May 2021
Wow great episode again, but also brutal with some dead sorcerers.
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Jan 19, 11:38 AM
Feb 2021
Reply to Smilomaniac
Easily the least interesting part of the show so far.

The idea of the 'Stille' itself is fine, it's a tricky bird with a comedic surprise element to it that sets up an interesting conundrum. For about half an episode. Dragging this on across multiple is unforgivable.

The exam seemed like a really fun idea, I'm sure most were looking forwards to the hidden power level elf showing everyone else how it's done or that there'd be something really challenging and interesting even for her to deal with, but then as it goes it keeps getting dumber and dumber.

Not only do you risk not having the actual best (on merit) complete the exam because the two others drag them down, but you get some of the worst mages passing because they happened to be with those who can do it by themselves (provided the group passes together).
Capturing the bird is an interesting premise, until you realize that this isn't about a mage proving their worth, it's about being able to figure out an esoteric puzzle with no practical value - Don't get me wrong, I understand the theme and importance of mana detection (which has now gone on for a bit much), but surely there has to be far better ways of testing this specific ability without even giving it away.

Put a 'Stille' in a high ceiling room with plenty of places where it can hide. "There's a bird in here, tell me where it is." "Okay, very good, now how would you go about capturing it? You have 20 minutes to devise a plan and execute it."

Ah but instead they put probably the single most important resource in this world, mages, at risk by pitting them against each other in a Battle Royale, only to get maybe the best, maybe the worst of them coming out of it.

Notice, by the way, how apart from a couple of people everyone looks like they're from a high school anime. Is anyone else feeling that the "rank 1" exam is only being taken by people who should not have any business doing so?

Until this point the story's been a joy, but not only is this a little too out there, the dialogue is mind numbingly boring and the edgy antagonistic blowhards that have been introduced feel incongruent. I just hope it's all resolved within a couple of minutes of the next episode and that it moves on fast.
Smilomaniac said:

As 1-st rank mage you often would get in situations when you find yourself on mission with people you dont know or even lead them as a Team leader (1-s rank mages often act as a team leader)
Skill to properly use what you have on your hands right now - is necessary for 1-st rank mage
You draw out bad cards? It is you responsibility to use them smart and get best possible outcome
Mage dont prove their worth in this exam? Are you kidding me?
1)You need to sense bird = you need to be good at mana senser
2)You need somehow catch a bird that move in hyper sonic speed and is tough as dragon = you need be skillfull enough to manage this
3)You need protect your bird from other teams without losing your party member = you need be strong or smart enough to do so
4)You need be smart enough to create plan to make this all out
All o this is definition of what true mage should be
About deaths on exam:
THIS 1-st RANK EXAM (!!!). Purpose of this exam - find best of the best mages.
The only way to do so - put them into dangerous life threatening situation. Why? Well better candidate fail NOW, then when he would stand up against demons (with thousands of people counting on him) and fail because he is 1-st rank mage in name only.
Thing is - nobody force those mages take part in exam. Everybody knew about all risk including possible death. Everybody knew that in last several exams nobody was able to pass it. Yet, they still decide to take part in it. This is their choice and their responsibility for the consequences
LG545Jan 19, 11:53 AM
Jan 19, 11:57 AM

Feb 2013
It would seem this isn't really a test of magic, which is fair, considering the fact that basic spells are more than enough to do combat against the highest level demons and mages
Jan 19, 12:00 PM
Nov 2023
Reply to LG545
Smilomaniac said:

As 1-st rank mage you often would get in situations when you find yourself on mission with people you dont know or even lead them as a Team leader (1-s rank mages often act as a team leader)
Skill to properly use what you have on your hands right now - is necessary for 1-st rank mage
You draw out bad cards? It is you responsibility to use them smart and get best possible outcome
Mage dont prove their worth in this exam? Are you kidding me?
1)You need to sense bird = you need to be good at mana senser
2)You need somehow catch a bird that move in hyper sonic speed and is tough as dragon = you need be skillfull enough to manage this
3)You need protect your bird from other teams without losing your party member = you need be strong or smart enough to do so
4)You need be smart enough to create plan to make this all out
All o this is definition of what true mage should be
About deaths on exam:
THIS 1-st RANK EXAM (!!!). Purpose of this exam - find best of the best mages.
The only way to do so - put them into dangerous life threatening situation. Why? Well better candidate fail NOW, then when he would stand up against demons (with thousands of people counting on him) and fail because he is 1-st rank mage in name only.
Thing is - nobody force those mages take part in exam. Everybody knew about all risk including possible death. Everybody knew that in last several exams nobody was able to pass it. Yet, they still decide to take part in it. This is their choice and their responsibility for the consequences
@LG545
LG545 said:
As 1-st rank mage you often would get in situations when you find yourself on mission with people you dont now or even lead them as a Team leader (1-s rank mages often act as a team leader)

I get your point and it'd be fine if this was hunter x hunter and not a world where cities are under siege and even a single mage is an invaluable resource.
If we'd seen squads of adrenaline pumped and ambushing mages going through terrain like elite soldiers, maybe there'd be a point to this, but as it stands all we've seen are adventuring parties that need rounding out with other roles, something they make a point of.

This is also to grant a rank 1 certificate, to find the *best mages*. If it'd been a mage boot camp to weed out a plentiful resource then maybe this would've been more appropriate.

edit;
Oh god your edited response is even worse... I already conceded the bird is a good enough story hook, but you're explaining it to me like I don't get what's going on at all without addressing what I'm saying. Just reiterating what the story is telling is not a good way to talk to people my man.

Suffice it to say that I don't agree with your rationalizations and I find it to be poor not well thought through storytelling.
SmilomaniacJan 19, 12:05 PM
Jan 19, 12:06 PM

Jan 2021
Good stuff, Frieren's patience strategy and patience paid off. Looks like next episode is going to be full of fighting and I'm looking forward to it. I also love how the new party Frieren's in really showed their stuff. It truly felt like only something this party could accomplish, using their unique skills to pinpoint where the magic bird would go. We've also learned that Frieren can suppress her mana even more which is incredibly impressive considering how much she actually has.
Jan 19, 12:10 PM

Mar 2013
I enjoyed this episode but at the same time, it was too short... 😖😖😖
Now how will Frieren's team handle their counterattack? 😍😳

Oh, yeah. This girl is a bloodthirsty one from a previous episode.
She's one of those I'm keeping an eye on.

P.S. I'm tempted to read the manga... but I can't... 😭
CrazyButNot4UJan 19, 12:16 PM
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Jan 19, 12:27 PM

Nov 2020
I got chills when I heard the new soundtrack, the next episode promises to be epic🔥
Jan 19, 12:31 PM
Feb 2021
Reply to Smilomaniac
@LG545
LG545 said:
As 1-st rank mage you often would get in situations when you find yourself on mission with people you dont now or even lead them as a Team leader (1-s rank mages often act as a team leader)

I get your point and it'd be fine if this was hunter x hunter and not a world where cities are under siege and even a single mage is an invaluable resource.
If we'd seen squads of adrenaline pumped and ambushing mages going through terrain like elite soldiers, maybe there'd be a point to this, but as it stands all we've seen are adventuring parties that need rounding out with other roles, something they make a point of.

This is also to grant a rank 1 certificate, to find the *best mages*. If it'd been a mage boot camp to weed out a plentiful resource then maybe this would've been more appropriate.

edit;
Oh god your edited response is even worse... I already conceded the bird is a good enough story hook, but you're explaining it to me like I don't get what's going on at all without addressing what I'm saying. Just reiterating what the story is telling is not a good way to talk to people my man.

Suffice it to say that I don't agree with your rationalizations and I find it to be poor not well thought through storytelling.
Smilomaniac said:
get your point and it'd be fine if this was hunter x hunter and not a world where cities are under siege and even a single mage is an invaluable resource.

1)It already pass 30 years since demons return in strengh and numbers (North is basicly is in state of War). Each demon is way stronger then your average mage or soldier. 1-st Rank mage should be able to 100% kill tough demons such was Lugner. Also dont forget about your regular threats you can meet on daily basis - monsters. This ep show - they could be cunning and dangerous
2)For purpose of "boot camp" - there are low rank test (such as 3-d rank, or even 2-d). They are far less dangerous and Tutors from Magic Association could judge potential of each one candidate. 1-st Rank exam design to show - would all those already competent mages (all of them are full fledged mages) able to deal with extreme situation (in field it would be battles against demons and you dont have right to make a mistake there) as close to "actual combat conditions as possible". Magic Association MUST be 100% sure in there 1-st rank mages. This is not some childsplay ground. No place for slacking here
In next ep or two they would explain on WHY people despite all risk want to take this exam (aside from influence and authority)
Jan 19, 12:32 PM

May 2015
Gotcha ! Stille was caught !
Jan 19, 12:55 PM
Nov 2016
I enjoyed this episode, there are things at stake here, no wonder they let Übel take the exam, they don't care if she kills a couple of mages there because they already expected a couple of mages to die, if they get killed then they don't deserve to be 1st class mages, I don't agree with that method but you do you.

Still, the episode is nice, this is still a 7/10 anime but finally, after a couple of boring episodes, I finally started to enjoy this again.
Jan 19, 12:57 PM
Nov 2023
Reply to LG545
Smilomaniac said:
get your point and it'd be fine if this was hunter x hunter and not a world where cities are under siege and even a single mage is an invaluable resource.

1)It already pass 30 years since demons return in strengh and numbers (North is basicly is in state of War). Each demon is way stronger then your average mage or soldier. 1-st Rank mage should be able to 100% kill tough demons such was Lugner. Also dont forget about your regular threats you can meet on daily basis - monsters. This ep show - they could be cunning and dangerous
2)For purpose of "boot camp" - there are low rank test (such as 3-d rank, or even 2-d). They are far less dangerous and Tutors from Magic Association could judge potential of each one candidate. 1-st Rank exam design to show - would all those already competent mages (all of them are full fledged mages) able to deal with extreme situation (in field it would be battles against demons and you dont have right to make a mistake there) as close to "actual combat conditions as possible". Magic Association MUST be 100% sure in there 1-st rank mages. This is not some childsplay ground. No place for slacking here
In next ep or two they would explain on WHY people despite all risk want to take this exam (aside from influence and authority)
@LG545

1. There's no indication that any test is in relation to demons. This is all speculation and not provided context in relation to the test.
2. More speculation irrelevant to what I've said, there is no useful outcome to just weed out the best mages by luck.

I entirely reject the premise that anything about the test is in any way, at all relevant to demons or to find adequate squad leaders who must also lead other mages, at the expense of half the attendants, when leadership and magic prowess which has been shown to be a support role so far, have nothing to do with one another. This is not present in the story, it's a non-factor.

Here's the very simple premise:
You solve the test by hiding your presence. It's a trick solution. It's an important trick that the show has spent ~10 episodes explaining why it's impressive and important, but it's a trick. It's not magical prowess, it's not any amount of mana, it's not combat experience, it's just coincidental if you've happened to suppress your mana all your life.

Okay, so we have this really super important trick that is sussed out by this exam and that's how you find the best, right?
Except no, it allows low moral mages that you can't trust your lives with to out-luck or ambush the people who get the trick, who then get a title of being 'best'. Then what was the purpose of the trick in the first place? Why isn't this just a Battle Royale? Or a ladder system?

Because the test isn't well written.

Please spare me a third iteration of this being about demon slaying mages. It's a CERTIFICATE, which means it's to get a piece of paper that you live up to the standards of this academic institute and can present it to someone else for the purposes of getting a job. Which I guarantee you won't be on the front lines, but probably at the seat of nobility or royalty.
Jan 19, 1:09 PM
Aug 2020
another great episode

so beautiful, we saw some interesting fights

i'm ready for the next one...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Would you consider frieren the best anime of all time? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

AunixHOT - Apr 23

211 by samsince04 »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 28 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 22

793 by cristianworth »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 8

497 by nanajp »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Which mage would you rather have as your mentor?

Moonshine_cookie - Apr 30

35 by Ba-Cii10 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 16

295 by nanajp »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.