[Update June 1] Forum Conversation View: Beta Testing

New
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
May 31, 2023 5:35 PM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
@traed
traed said:
Funny enough you can still quote users but they make you have to highlight the post to do it which proves there is no reason to remove the quote function. They just dont know what they are doing.
Seriously though. If we're going to keep this new system then just have it quote like it always did and hide the quotes on the new version. That way we can still use the old system without being Detective Conan.
May 31, 2023 5:37 PM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
@Rakkaaa
Rakkaaa said:
doesn’t anilist have this?
No, AniList has an actually functional version of this which isn't a complete mess to navigate and nests more than one level deep. That said, I still don't like it and steer well clear of their forums because of it, but the point stands.
May 31, 2023 5:42 PM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
@-DxP-
-DxP- said:
please keep in mind that this is a beta version.
I have heard "It's a beta" so many times as an excuse for something being incomplete or just plain awful. 99 times out of 100, it either barely improves or stays the same in the "full release". I don't care if it's released, beta, alpha, pre-dev, or an idea in someone's head; If it sucks then people need to say it sucks then and there and changes need to begin being put in place immediately or it will never happen.
May 31, 2023 5:49 PM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
Shishio-kun said:
I also just realized since the real quote feature is gone we can't quote a post to see the BBcode and hidden stuff inside it anymore. Super useful for many users! 😭

I didn't realise this until it was pointed out. Uuuuuggggh. I used quotes fairly often to find original image links and the like which MAL usually hides. Now if the forum has a dead image link (cough Imgur cough) then guess what it's gone forever no chance of checking Archive.org or anything just a dead cdn.myanimelist.net entry. BRILLIANT UPDATE I LOVE IT HERE
May 31, 2023 5:50 PM
平沢唯

Dec 2016

oml this gave me a good laugh

I had to manually recreate the video BBCode to quote this btw. So glad we're living in 2023.
May 31, 2023 5:55 PM

Dec 2018
It would be funny if they revert back to what it was before during the upcoming maintenance in the next several hours and pretend that this never happened lol.

May 31, 2023 5:57 PM

Jun 2011
Queen_Galaxia said:
It would be funny if they revert back to what it was before during the upcoming maintenance in the next several hours and pretend that this never happened lol.

Hopefully, but since they never reverted the terrible review update I have my doubts.
May 31, 2023 6:01 PM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
If we're going to have even a chance of this new thing working you need to display posts in a sensible manner on the normal view. You can't just have an @user signifying a reply, give us an auto-generated quote and link to the post. You can hide this on the new view so you keep your "clean" and "easy to use" thing going, but on classic it is a must. Here's a couple of examples:

Edit:
mf'n Ravelry had this figured out 15 years ago guys
Valerio_LyndonMay 31, 2023 7:18 PM
May 31, 2023 6:04 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Don't like the Conversation view because it feels to similar to Reddit's layout. However, I do like the idea of moving the reply button to the opening post as it saves me the trouble scrolling down to the bottom to make a post. I guess quoting is easier by just simply replying to the user without all that text.
May 31, 2023 6:07 PM

Jun 2011
Valerio_Lyndon said:
If we're going to have even a chance of this new thing working you need to display posts in a sensible manner on the normal view. You can't just have an @user signifying a reply, give us an auto-generated quote and link to the post. You can hide this on the new view so you keep your "clean" and "easy to use" thing going, but on classic it is a must. Here's an example:

I agree but I don't agree with the "read more" part of your example. I'm tired of modern internet thinking everything has to be collapsed and make you click a million times extra.
May 31, 2023 6:21 PM

Oct 2010
The mods coming in one by one to defend this while everyone else is like "pls no" lmfao
May 31, 2023 6:31 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Hey guys, how about you just stop making updates in general? Like, the last 20 interface changes has been straight up downgrades - you obviously aren't good at that and the fact that the majority of users are pissed off every time you change something is a proof of that.

We had perfectly functional forums and website. Don't fix it if it ain't broken!
May 31, 2023 6:57 PM

Jan 2013
@Shishio-kun thx for the showcase video. Looks pretty bad, but it's nice to have the option to switch to classic.

edit, wait these people ruined classic too? lmfao, i might finally quit.
KladMay 31, 2023 7:02 PM
May 31, 2023 7:42 PM

Sep 2021
Speaking as someone who uses the forums relatively infrequently (compared to a lot of others), and also currently is not a MAL supporter (meaning that I can't test this for myself) I just wanted to chime in to say this:

If this beta test goes through as is, it's unfortunately going to push me away from the forums indefinitely. A lot of "beta tests" on prominent sites are just glorified warning signs for "we warned you this was coming, so please don't complain when it goes live", and I sincerely, sincerely hope that this isn't the case for this one. Please listen to the numerous people who are telling you- even outside of their own personal opinions on the beta test- how it objectively makes the forums more cumbersome and difficult to navigate and enjoy, how it takes away and breaks the functionality of BBCode (that I know a lot of people actually came to MAL for in the first place), and how pushing features and functions onto a site not specifically designed for them, can and will make past and future forum topics impossible to navigate at worst, and incredibly annoying, at best. I personally really appreciated the original quote feature of MAL, because it was such a great way to keep track of ongoing thoughts no matter how long the conversation between two (or more) people had been going, and replacing it with this, is just... upsetting.

I've also noticed over the past few days that "Watched Topics" are downright broken in what I guess we're calling "Classic Mode" now. I'm not getting my usual notifications for most of them, and even after viewing them, the site still tells me that I haven't viewed them, so... something's wrong there and I hope you take a look at it. I can also no longer copy and paste any text from outside of MAL, which totally killed my motivation to touch the forums today. I think other people have already talked about why that is, so I won't make my comment any longer to do so.

For my personal opinions, I just really want to bring attention to this idea of being able to ignore replies, sort by friends' replies, most replies, and honestly any other sorting idea you might have...
This one honestly frustrates me quite a lot. The MAL forums are actually what I participate the most in out of all the other social media sites that I use, and I appreciated it specifically because it didn't have any of the "sort by Best" or "sort by Most x or y" functions that like, pretty much every social media site has now. It was honestly genuinely refreshing to come to the MAL forums and be able to just simply read in chronological order, without having to press a different button to do so, and without all of the things that come with these sorting functions. Nothing in a discussion (or the discussion itself) was ever swayed by a particular popular poster, or ignored because of internet points... every discussion has always had a relatively equal chance to flourish, so to speak. I believe that if you give people the option to sort that way, the forums here will become like basically any other site, with topics and thoughts and opinions and discussions just getting downright buried because they didn't get "the most replies", or whatever upvote-style metric might get attached to them in the future- because it seems like things are heading in that direction.

I probably sound like I'm just echoing what a lot of other people have already said, but... even as someone who isn't a long-term, veteran user of MAL, it concerns me to see that this change in particular just feels like one that is being done simply to bring it more in line with other social media sites, and not to actually improve forum/site functionality. Genuinely, I have never written in such an overtly negative way about any of your updates, but I simply had to say something here, because this just feels like a downgrade in every possible way. As I said above, I really hope you take the time to truly listen to the people who are speaking out against this, and think on if this is really something the site needs, and on how it'll affect its future.

We can always go somewhere again.
✧✧✧✧✧✧
profilewatchingart credit

May 31, 2023 7:42 PM

Feb 2010
Valerio_Lyndon said:
I have heard "It's a beta" so many times as an excuse for something being incomplete or just plain awful. 99 times out of 100, it either barely improves or stays the same in the "full release". I don't care if it's released, beta, alpha, pre-dev, or an idea in someone's head; If it sucks then people need to say it sucks then and there and changes need to begin being put in place immediately or it will never happen.

Totally agree, I thought I was the only one who felt this way!

Shishio-kunMay 31, 2023 7:47 PM
May 31, 2023 7:43 PM

Jun 2011
@smoltulip Well said.
May 31, 2023 7:46 PM

Feb 2010
@smoltulip A damn good post!
May 31, 2023 7:53 PM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
smoltulip said:
I just wanted to chime in to say this

Thanks for the chime, you said some of my feelings in a much more articulate and kinder way than I could muster after using the new design. I miss when forums were just forums. I was just saying to a friend last week how much I enjoy bastions of simple chronological forums, like MAL. Guess I jinxed it.
May 31, 2023 7:54 PM

Mar 2008
@Valerio_Lyndon
Valerio_Lyndon said:
Seriously though. If we're going to keep this new system then just have it quote like it always did and hide the quotes on the new version. That way we can still use the old system without being Detective Conan.

That wouldnt even work. Since from what ive seen it's pretty clear that you get posts out of order entirely because replies to multiple people if you put them in a single post get treated as a single reply to a single person. Which is why before i brought up how not using user mentions / replies just use quotes but have the start and end of quotes within a post to signify what part of the post has to be broken up in a different view but that probably is far beyond the dev's skill level and it's likely impossible to smoothly maintain two layouts simultaneously on the forum because they will be in conflict with eachother much of the time like how i brought up that a double post on "classic" mode will not be a double post on conversation mode and vice versa. It's jsut a huge mess
May 31, 2023 8:06 PM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
traed said:
That wouldnt even work. Since from what ive seen it's pretty clear that you get posts out of order entirely because replies to multiple people if you put them in a single post get treated as a single reply to a single person.

True, you make a good point! Although if I'm being honest, it wouldn't affect the normal view so I don't care that much.lol

traed said:
Which is why before i brought up how not using user mentions / replies just use quotes but have the start and end of quotes within a post to signify what part of the post has to be broken up in a different view

This would be the ideal, but it could be hard to implement in practice, I think. Mostly because you're relying on users to not fuck up the formatting (I've seen a lot of broken quotes over the years) and you have whackos splitting the same post into multiple quotes (who does that, right?). That said, this beta system is already messy on both views so it might not be any worse.

traed said:
it's likely impossible to smoothly maintain two layouts simultaneously on the forum because they will be in conflict with eachother much of the time like how i brought up that a double post on "classic" mode will not be a double post on conversation mode and vice versa. It's jsut a huge mess

hard agree.
May 31, 2023 8:19 PM

Mar 2008
@AddaeAkono
AddaeAkono said:
Don't like the Conversation view because it feels to similar to Reddit's layout. However, I do like the idea of moving the reply button to the opening post as it saves me the trouble scrolling down to the bottom to make a post. I guess quoting is easier by just simply replying to the user without all that text.

Usually before when you quoted a user if in working order it scrolls down automatically so if you need to reply to a few you have to scroll back up but an easy way around that is not have it auto scroll down but just highlight the button that it has been clicked once and has added the quote in the text box already then once you are done selecting all the quotes you want have a floating button that you can click to take you to the bbcode editing box to finish writing your message. Though earlier I did also describe a floating text box that follows you down the page but that would be much harder to impliment in proper working order so my simplified solution would accomplish pretty much in effect same thing.
May 31, 2023 8:29 PM

Mar 2008
Supposedly frostwork quoted me in this thread and I cant even find the post...ugh this corruption of the forum.
May 31, 2023 10:47 PM

Jun 2021
Immediately noticed something bad was happening yesterday morning after not having notifications for a watched topic, reading beta testing and having ignored users posts as normal ones without spoiler button. Then, discovered this topic. Yeah, this looks like a really annoying change no one asked for.
May 31, 2023 10:56 PM

Dec 2019
why do I have a reply button on my on-posted text? ahhaha

I can even mention myself, this is a stupid feature. Why would I mention myself?
Click here to see My Tampermonkey Scripts For MAL

If you like my work, please consider supporting it!
https://www.patreon.com/hacker09

May 31, 2023 11:04 PM

Feb 2010
@hacker09

Sometimes I see a reply button on my own posts
https://imgur.com/wQjGyBx

Sometimes I don't
https://imgur.com/6rQs9X3

The same chaotic rule applies to other people's posts
https://imgur.com/xJJuxv2

I guess its something to do with the "level" of the posts in wall of text view I mean conversation view. It's weird they'd remove it at any posts tho especially when we had quote before for any post.
May 31, 2023 11:07 PM

Dec 2019
@Shishio-kun

lol, what a mess

Event I test my user scripts much more before releasing them than mal did testings before releasing this beta forum haha
Click here to see My Tampermonkey Scripts For MAL

If you like my work, please consider supporting it!
https://www.patreon.com/hacker09

May 31, 2023 11:25 PM

Dec 2009
There's so much that doesn't work with this "update" and it's been talked for pages so I don't have the need to reiterate, but I just want to say a little thing: if I visit a forum what I expect is, well, a forum, with replies in chronological order, quotes and yes even signs.
If I want Reddit I go to Reddit and not a bootleg that doesn't even work.
This is so frustrating. I really love forums and how they work, but nowadays every site has to be more SN-like!
And it's undeniable that recently MAL just doesn't care about what its userbase wants.
Jun 1, 2023 3:51 AM

Sep 2010
-DxP- said:
But please keep in mind that this is a beta version.

Just like the review update that was forced on us and then never fixed?

hacker09 said:
I can even mention myself, this is a stupid feature. Why would I mention myself?

Do you not feel like schizoposting sometimes?
Jun 1, 2023 3:56 AM

Mar 2008
Bad news the 4 hour maintenance they did absolutely fucking nothing to revert this shit.

Seems they only fixed a few bugs like I seem able to quote reply with links included now when I couldnt before and seems I can copy text in posts now through keyboard shortcut not through the button that appears stil though.
Jun 1, 2023 4:02 AM

Mar 2008
@traed
Hey me

@Hacker09
Whatcha talkin' bout?
Jun 1, 2023 4:45 AM
Apr 2019
Hello everyone just join the club so excited 😆😆😆 nice to meet everynody :))))))))
Jun 1, 2023 5:01 AM

Feb 2011
I have a feeling people working on MAL push changes for the sake of changes just to justify their salaries/positions... Can't comprehend what's happening otherwise.

Don't fix what's not broken.
Jun 1, 2023 5:22 AM

Jul 2008
@ateks Agreed, the review system is terrible and there is no hope of getting it reverted.
Jun 1, 2023 6:32 AM

Mar 2008
@Tiosar @Tiosar
Tiosar said:
I have a feeling people working on MAL push changes for the sake of changes just to justify their salaries/positions... Can't comprehend what's happening otherwise.

Don't fix what's not broken.

If that were the case they have a huge backlog of bugs they never fixed some that have existed for years.

MAL dev policy is dont fix what is broken and break what is working and call it a feature
Jun 1, 2023 6:49 AM
Space Brother

Mar 2015
In classic view, the New Reply button is at the top of every page in a thread except the first page, where it's hiding under the first post. It's inconsistent and inconvenient.

Also, the page navigation buttons are at the top and bottom of every page in a thread except the first page, where it's only at the bottom. Also inconsistent and inconvenient.

"An earnest failure has meaning."

"Nothing is definite in this world. But it's okay.
Some things within me are definite."
Jun 1, 2023 8:58 AM
Apr 2016
Looks promising to me. but I would have preferred more functionality on statistics and recommendations.
Stay strong
Jun 1, 2023 11:15 AM

Mar 2008
I think its funny mods like @Ardanaz @-DxP- like it probably because they think it makes it easier for them to moderate when in reality it means they have to go through 5000 times the effort to monitor a thread. Because posts arent purely chronological order they will have to open up every reply to every reply to every reply to every comment many times over again and again and again and again instead of continuing reading from last post they left off at and scroll down. This conversation view also means threads will be short lived and you will get duplicates every few days of the exact same thread because no one is going to check over and over and over and over the same posts trying to hunt down the new comments.
Jun 1, 2023 11:20 AM

Jun 2011
traed said:
I think its funny mods like @Ardanaz @-DxP- like it probably because they think it makes it easier for them to moderate when in reality it means they have to go through 5000 times the effort to monitor a thread. Because posts arent purely chronological order they will have to open up every reply to every reply to every reply to every comment many times over again and again and again and again instead of continuing reading from last post they left off at and scroll down. This conversation view also means threads will be short lived and you will get duplicates every few days of the exact same thread because no one is going to check over and over and over and over the same posts trying to hunt down the new comments.

I don't think mods actually monitor threads, they just read reports. If they actually read the threads then they wouldn't lock threads full of discussions for not encouraging discussion.
Jun 1, 2023 11:21 AM

Nov 2022
Maybe have:

@USER #NN

So that we can jump to the reply number to see what the original user wrote.
Jun 1, 2023 11:27 AM

Feb 2021
@traed, sadly yes, they didn't undo this feature.
Jun 1, 2023 11:29 AM

Mar 2008
@Narmy
Yeah usually but they are supposed to actually read threads thats part of why being an active user in the community was a requirement before and why they ask what boards you frequent.
Jun 1, 2023 11:31 AM

Mar 2008
@hich4n_
Then you would have to jump across the entire board page after page for a chain of replies. It is better just to keep everything like it was and make the conversation view work around that not the other way around.
Jun 1, 2023 11:47 AM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Quoting multiple people in the same post has gotten to be more than a hassle then it needs to be.
Kineta said:
Why aren't replies nested for older topics?
Replies made before the release will not be nested on Conversation view. These topics will appear like Classic view, with a different layout. Since the existing forum culture was to quote multiple posts in one reply, it was not easy to relate all posts back to their original parent post. Conversation view will be more useful for future topics.
^ This quote, I can do just fine, just highlight it, no problem. 

But then I just went to open another one, from a different user, it opens in a seperate post box. Then, when I try to copy and paste, it comes out like this:

MinakoBestGirl69298715Will there be rules restricting multiple conversations in the forums game threads? Because that could make things confusing if someone replies to a post instead of making a new post in the threads.

This makes it way harder than it needs to be, since now when I want to reply to multiple people, I either need to make it in separate posts, which goes against all forum etiquette as far as I have come to know it, from literally every forum I have been on. So, now, I have to @ them, and then copy paste their post just in order to keep the conversation going if I don't want to split it up. I think that's a really bad design decision, and I feel it's one that is trying to push people to use the new style. I think these two methods are not compatible with each other, and so this comes across as trying to have the cake, and eat it too.
DreamWindowJun 1, 2023 11:53 AM

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Jun 1, 2023 12:03 PM

Mar 2008
@StarfireDragon
StarfireDragon said:
Kineta said:
Why aren't replies nested for older topics?
Replies made before the release will not be nested on Conversation view. These topics will appear like Classic view, with a different layout. Since the existing forum culture was to quote multiple posts in one reply, it was not easy to relate all posts back to their original parent post. Conversation view will be more useful for future topics.
Quoting multiple people in the same post has gotten to be more than a hassle then it needs to be.

I say try and manually recreate quote trees to piss off everyone using the Reddit shit so it cant be forced on us and will be abandoned (though may or may not be salvageable using the method I described early on in the thread of simply converting quote blocks into the layout without touching this one).
Jun 1, 2023 12:07 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
traed said:
I say try and manually recreate quote trees to piss off everyone using the Reddit shit so it cant be forced on us and will be abandoned (though may or may not be salvageable using the method I described early on in the thread of simply converting quote blocks into the layout without touching this one).
God I just realized that the proper quote button is gone too. Ffs, I thought the thread got locked or something.

Yeah I intend too keep doing it the proper way. But my god it's so tedious.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Jun 1, 2023 12:42 PM

Mar 2008
@StarfireDragon
StarfireDragon said:
traed said:
God I just realized that the proper quote button is gone too. Ffs, I thought the thread got locked or something.

Yeah I intend too keep doing it the proper way. But my god it's so tedious.

Yup it is gone. I think only reason so many people arent complaining yet is because they are the kind who dont reply to people very often so they havent realized what occurred otherwise the entire site would be in uproar.
Jun 1, 2023 2:09 PM

Feb 2016
hacker09 said:
why do I have a reply button on my on-posted text? ahhaha

We already had this functionality before the update.
その目だれの目?
Jun 1, 2023 2:11 PM

Feb 2016
StarfireDragon said:
I either need to make it in separate posts, which goes against all forum etiquette as far as I have come to know it, from literally every forum I have been on.
Oh, but this forum's etiquette allows for all manner of double and triple posting. Kineta said so herself!
その目だれの目?
Jun 1, 2023 2:19 PM

Oct 2010
can't wait for mods to delete posts they don't agree with, implement the new forums and call it a day, their proof being "oh look at this thread, the 4 people here agreed to it so it's ok"
Jun 1, 2023 2:55 PM

Apr 2013
@Catalano You're missing the part where they don't care if people agree.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

211 by niladribarua »»
7 hours ago

» Moderators Wanted! Accepting applications for all positions

Kineta - Yesterday

0 by Kineta »»
Yesterday, 6:46 PM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Apr 24, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.