Forum Settings
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Oct 8, 2022 7:01 PM
Sep 2022
Banadjie27 said:
FLAME2352352 said:
It was quite surprising that many people changed the main character as a result of the popularity vote.

In Japan, if you look at Suetsugu's previous works, it is said that Suetsugu's tendency came out and it ended as it was. In other words, Suetsugu had Taichi's ending in mind from the beginning, and Arata fans were deceived.

If you are an Arata fan, do not read the English forum and go to the Japanese forum. There are many Arata fans there. That would be much better

And to say something to those who are worried about Suetsugu, she sees all of her criticisms. She is a person who tweets too much and checks Social Media thoroughly. In the past, she's had a lot of trouble with twitter. She criticized Hikaru's Go and Demon slayer and
she once posted a message defending herself on a Japanese web page pretending to be a fan and was caught. So you don't have to worry about the Suetsugu being influenced by the critique. She's already reading the Chihayahuru criticism tag on Twitter Not only tweet directly to her, but also indirectly.

How ironic, the same "new" fake account flaming and blaming sensei in this forum. Lmao.

Just as the other pointed out, even in reddit many other fans already warn other Arata die-hard hooligan fans not to get above it. When things doesnt fall out as what they expected instead this happens.

Dont tell other people when you are the only one who didnt read then story properly.

This website is not a website like Reddit that blocks other opinions.

You think Reddit's all the opinion in the world? Did you know that in the last two months she made a mistake on Twitter and then deleted the tweet? Not once or twice, but many times. Or what about her posting a small spin-off manga on her Japanese Social media a week ago? Did you see her interview? Did you know that her past interviews and current interviews keep talking in Japanese websites? Did you know that her social media comments and interviews correspond a lot to the contents of the manga? This isn't on Reddit. And Reddit is an administrator-censored site, and there can be no other opinion.

I've already seen what you call hooligans on Reddit slapping Arata's final quote. They say they know well because they are fluent in Japanese. Several people pointed that out but responded with down votes like a Reddit. It's a silly thing to do in an era where translators are doing well.

There is no lie in what I say. It's true that she actually does a lot of social media and criticizes other mangas. There are a lot of opinions that I said in Japan.

Even if you combine Reddit and this site's posts for two months, it is only a day or two of them from Japanese websites.

I know you're angry with negative opinions of this manga, but there are people who like it and people who don't about any mangas.

Oct 9, 2022 5:07 AM
Jun 2019
FLAME2352352 said:
Banadjie27 said:

How ironic, the same "new" fake account flaming and blaming sensei in this forum. Lmao.

Just as the other pointed out, even in reddit many other fans already warn other Arata die-hard hooligan fans not to get above it. When things doesnt fall out as what they expected instead this happens.

Dont tell other people when you are the only one who didnt read then story properly.

You think Reddit's all the opinion in the world? Did you know that in the last two months she made a mistake on Twitter and then deleted the tweet? Not once or twice, but many times. Or what about her posting a small spin-off manga on her Japanese Social media a week ago? Did you see her interview? Did you know that her past interviews and current interviews keep talking in Japanese websites? Did you know that her social media comments and interviews correspond a lot to the contents of the manga? This isn't on Reddit. And Reddit is an administrator-censored site, and there can be no other opinion.

I've already seen what you call hooligans on Reddit slapping Arata's final quote. They say they know well because they are fluent in Japanese. Several people pointed that out but responded with down votes like a Reddit. It's a silly thing to do in an era where translators are doing well.

There is no lie in what I say. It's true that she actually does a lot of social media and criticizes other mangas. There are a lot of opinions that I said in Japan.

Even if you combine Reddit and this site's posts for two months, it is only a day or two of them from Japanese websites.

I know you're angry with negative opinions of this manga, but there are people who like it and people who don't about any mangas.

The fact that you spread what sensei has done just because you didnt agree with how the ending developed just shown how childish you are kiddo,imagine if the Chihayafuru ending different with Arata ends up with Chihaya, you definitely wont make up a fake account and tried to suggest other fans for flaming the author. All of that because you didnt read the story properly and unsatisfied with the romance ending.

Already misinteprets my arguments?, I dont hate critique as long as its building, but childish behaviour like this is intolerateable. No matter what you said, no matter how many fans you tried to subdue, no matter how many fake accounts you made.. the ending wont change.

A lot of people, already predict many hooligan fans will flame sensei because of their own delusional story about Chihayafuru. Some fans already warned not to jump to conclusion early, while some keep hotheadded with their own delusional view of their perspectives which is stupid.

Btw i already guess you are one of the active forummer Chihayafuru here, might as well use your original account or just move on with the story instead behaving like an elementary school kids.
Oct 9, 2022 6:49 AM
Sep 2022
FLAME2352352 said:

The fact that you spread what sensei has done just because you didnt agree with how the ending developed just shown how childish you are kiddo,imagine if the Chihayafuru ending different with Arata ends up with Chihaya, you definitely wont make up a fake account and tried to suggest other fans for flaming the author. All of that because you didnt read the story properly and unsatisfied with the romance ending.

Already misinteprets my arguments?, I dont hate critique as long as its building, but childish behaviour like this is intolerateable. No matter what you said, no matter how many fans you tried to subdue, no matter how many fake accounts you made.. the ending wont change.

A lot of people, already predict many hooligan fans will flame sensei because of their own delusional story about Chihayafuru. Some fans already warned not to jump to conclusion early, while some keep hotheadded with their own delusional view of their perspectives which is stupid.

Btw i already guess you are one of the active forummer Chihayafuru here, might as well use your original account or just move on with the story instead behaving like an elementary school kids.

I remember that you left a similar comment in my comment last time. it's fun for you to talk about other people. You left a sarcastic comment last time. I don't know why you claim to be a fake account. This is my only account. I just found a place to talk about Chihayafuru. I don't even have to make another ID on this site. There are a lot of places to talk about other mangas, even if it's not here. Chihayafuru has an overwhelming number of articles written on the Japanese side. If I speak Japanese better and Japanese sites didn't block overseas ip, I wouldn't be here. Reddit and this website are the only places to talk about this manga on English-speaking sites, but only one or two comments are posted a month.

Many people have to know what the mangaka did. The key to solving those hasty conclusions you say is her interviews and Twitter. Knowing this will solve your questions about Chihayafuru.

Some Reddit fans you mentioned are rather interpreting it on their own. They are interpreting themselves without thinking about looking for any Japanese articles. Just by looking at the mangaka’s interview and opinions on Twitter's threshing, You can interpret why the last episode ended like that. Not what you mean by some Reddit users.

If you're a real fan of this manga, I hope you look it up. It is not the interpretation of the Reddit people's will, but it is understandable why the writer ended like this and wrote the lines like that. It is purely my point of view that the author caused an accident on Twitter. It may have been a kind explanation of the work to others. You're probably the latter, so look it up. These days, the translator has a good performance.

I have seen this manga since 13 years ago and I have been to Omi Jingu. I watched all the movies in the theater and bought all the DVDs in Akihabara. (I don't live in Japan.) In the early days, I used to be a writer because I was a fan even when I was exposed to training. You seem to be driving me with a simple hooligan, but I loved this manga more than you and the Reddit people.

I was just angry that I ended 15 years like this in the last 10 pages. I can't believe there are 10 15-year-old mangas. Looking at the mangaka’s writing on Twitter, I think she is conscious of this Japanese opinion. I really hope she picks up the pieces in the spinoff coming out in November.

Oct 9, 2022 9:35 AM
Jun 2019
FLAME2352352 said:

I remember that you left a similar comment in my comment last time. it's fun for you to talk about other people. You left a sarcastic comment last time. I don't know why you claim to be a fake account. This is my only account. I just found a place to talk about Chihayafuru. I don't even have to make another ID on this site. There are a lot of places to talk about other mangas, even if it's not here. Chihayafuru has an overwhelming number of articles written on the Japanese side. If I speak Japanese better and Japanese sites didn't block overseas ip, I wouldn't be here. Reddit and this website are the only places to talk about this manga on English-speaking sites, but only one or two comments are posted a month.

Many people have to know what the mangaka did. The key to solving those hasty conclusions you say is her interviews and Twitter. Knowing this will solve your questions about Chihayafuru.

Some Reddit fans you mentioned are rather interpreting it on their own. They are interpreting themselves without thinking about looking for any Japanese articles. Just by looking at the mangaka’s interview and opinions on Twitter's threshing, You can interpret why the last episode ended like that. Not what you mean by some Reddit users.

If you're a real fan of this manga, I hope you look it up. It is not the interpretation of the Reddit people's will, but it is understandable why the writer ended like this and wrote the lines like that. It is purely my point of view that the author caused an accident on Twitter. It may have been a kind explanation of the work to others. You're probably the latter, so look it up. These days, the translator has a good performance.

I have seen this manga since 13 years ago and I have been to Omi Jingu. I watched all the movies in the theater and bought all the DVDs in Akihabara. (I don't live in Japan.) In the early days, I used to be a writer because I was a fan even when I was exposed to training. You seem to be driving me with a simple hooligan, but I loved this manga more than you and the Reddit people.

I was just angry that I ended 15 years like this in the last 10 pages. I can't believe there are 10 15-year-old mangas. Looking at the mangaka’s writing on Twitter, I think she is conscious of this Japanese opinion. I really hope she picks up the pieces in the spinoff coming out in November.

You are angry because the author didnt grant your favourite pairing in the end, its as simple as that.

If you misinteprets the story because deliberaltely ignoring other characters development, the faults is on you not the author.

Yes, its on you.

I've seen enough many fans warned other die-hard fans not to jump the boat early, yet they still kept with their own narrowed perspective. You are just one of them.
Oct 9, 2022 2:16 PM
Sep 2022
FLAME2352352 said:

You are angry because the author didnt grant your favourite pairing in the end, its as simple as that.

If you misinteprets the story because deliberaltely ignoring other characters development, the faults is on you not the author.

Yes, its on you.

I've seen enough many fans warned other die-hard fans not to jump the boat early, yet they still kept with their own narrowed perspective. You are just one of them.

Yes, I'll say the same thing.

You're angry at the critics of the manga because it went the way you wanted it to. Even Taichi fans in Japan are calling for a more accurate development in the spin-off. But you're just telling someone who has a different opinion to shut up.

Do you think you're a different person? You're no different than any other die-hard fan of Reddit who keeps a narrow view.

FLAME2352352Oct 9, 2022 2:20 PM
Oct 9, 2022 8:23 PM
Jun 2019
FLAME2352352 said:

Yes, its on you.

You're angry at the critics of the manga because it went the way you wanted it to. Even Taichi fans in Japan are calling for a more accurate development in the spin-off. But you're just telling someone who has a different opinion to shut up.

Do you think you're a different person? You're no different than any other die-hard fan of Reddit who keeps a narrow view.

Angry at critics? I think you dont know the difference between critics and hate speech, what do you expect from someone whose also misntepret the story itself lmao. Even middle school students have better reading comprehension skill.

What you did its not critique,but hate speech and its very childish. LMAO

See how your narrowed view disrupt your judgement capability? If I angry at critique i would reply to anyone in this forum which have counter arguments with mine.
Supposedly it is not, isnt it?

You are behaving like an elementary school here, making ruckus just because something doesnt go the way you wanted and on top of it suggetsing people its fine to flame the author while justifying any reason you could find.

Just use your original MAL account btw.
Oct 9, 2022 9:08 PM
Sep 2022
Banadjie27 said:
FLAME2352352 said:

Angry at critics? I think you dont know the difference between critics and hate speech, what do you expect from someone whose also misntepret the story itself lmao. Even middle school students have better reading comprehension skill.

See how your narrowed view disrupt your judgement capability? If I angry at critique i would reply to anyone in this forum which have counter arguments with mine.

You are behaving like an elementary school here, making ruckus just because something doesnt go the way you wanted and on top of it suggetsing people its fine to flame the author while justifying any reason you could find.

If you knew exactly what criticism and hate speech was, you wouldn't have posted such a comment last time, would you? You did the same thing last time. Yes, you have left a sarcastic comment to me who is against your argument as you say. Are you a different person than you were then? It's a lot of fun.

I'm not free enough to create multiple accounts on these sites. Why do I make multiple accounts here when there are not many posts a month? I wonder if you're doing that.

I'm talking to only you and I don't know what the fuss is about where there's not even five posts a month.

It seems that you are making a ruckus about commenting on a long time ago.

If you want to lecture a person, look back on yourself first.

FLAME2352352Oct 10, 2022 3:07 AM
Oct 10, 2022 9:47 AM
Jun 2019
FLAME2352352 said:
Banadjie27 said:

If you knew exactly what criticism and hate speech was, you wouldn't have posted such a comment last time, would you? You did the same thing last time. Yes, you have left a sarcastic comment to me who is against your argument as you say. Are you a different person than you were then? It's a lot of fun.

I'm not free enough to create multiple accounts on these sites. Why do I make multiple accounts here when there are not many posts a month? I wonder if you're doing that.

I'm talking to only you and I don't know what the fuss is about where there's not even five posts a month.

"Look back on yourself first", this one should be pointed to yourself not other person while suggesting other people to hate the author using fake account. But what can I say to a delusional fans? Pffft...

As i expected you cannot deny the fact that you spread hate to the author due to your delusional favourite pairing not granted. Your comment speak a thousand word you know?
Instead of attacking one persona, please put your ad hominem in check. Such logical fallacy
Oct 10, 2022 1:12 PM
Sep 2022
FLAME2352352 said:

"Look back on yourself first", this one should be pointed to yourself not other person while suggesting other people to hate the author using fake account. But what can I say to a delusional fans? Pffft...

As i expected you cannot deny the fact that you spread hate to the author due to your delusional favourite pairing not granted. Your comment speak a thousand word you know?
Instead of attacking one persona, please put your ad hominem in check. Such logical fallacy

It comes out the same way as a month ago. You still haven't grown up. The delusion in your head still lingers.

You may have grown a little this time because you don't claim to be a neutral fan like last time.

In your delusion, I may have a lot of accounts, but I'm not a person with as much time as you are. At least I don't foam at the mouth into old comments like you.
Oct 11, 2022 6:06 AM

Oct 2012
It's true these accounts created just a month ago to come critisize here are always a bit sus, lol

The writer gave fans many hints in her interviews and Notes to which kind of love she valued. Most of all in the story she gave such big red flags with other established couples like Harada Sensei and his wife, her saying she didn't need him to win the title, as long as he would smile. This parallel with Chihaya wanting Taichi to smile so badly

Another couple is most certainly the Inokuma family, her husband being a TV producer but fully "supporting" his wife's passion. And ofcourse the Kuzuryuu parallel of her husband "supporting" her passion for years ..poem 56, longing to meet one more time hits so hard, especially when you think about both Chihaya's and Taichi's yearning, the focus on Chihaya when she took that poem.

It was a beautiful journey for Chihaya, who started out as a child learning about a passion but during the path also learning about the Hyakunin Isshu....it's not the same as reading q poem, knowing what it is about, than reading it and simultaneously understanding the feelings to it's core in your heart....that was the journey Chihaya made while maturing.

I feel the first time she truly understood a poem in her skin and bones, was the Kaze poem...she exactly felt the pain that was written in that poem.... everything before wasn't a clear to her yet and she admitted herself, she didn't understand her feelings yet nor Arata, nor Taichi.

The shock of Taichi's departure reset her. The pain made her lucid and from then on the poems won't ever be the same anymore....she had to digest, compare, search for what was truly "hidden" in her heart while ofcourse becoming a formidable Karuta player. The layers in the story are of the genius kind, the hints, parallels....the crazy little jokes that already pointed to only 1 endgame from long before. Even the fact that Arata would become Meijin was already hinted in in the childhood arc with number 4 on his T-Shirt, the Tago poem but also a number announcing a death. (Shi), his grandfather's passing....it was all there from the start.

The writer asked several times blatantly in the story to look deeper, the study, the connect the poems, the background stories of the poets, the parallels, the symbols up to even using flowers with Hanakotoba symbolism to represent her storytelling.... it's kind of dramatic some never came to see it, the path she had ingeniously laid out for us to follow.....

I sometimes feel a reread with an explanation of the poems, the various hints and parallels should be done. It's vast, so vast, impossible to explain in 1 comment....it took years and pages and research of many fans to see them all. Tbh I'm mindblown in how she did it. Not all arcs were equally strong but an overal view of the story, makes you understand it's exceptional and rare are the stories like this out there....

All in all the romance plotline was very important for Chihaya's character development arc. The boys had other issues to handle....even if ofcourse the romance for Taichi was a big part of his arc as well, his self acceptance was probably more imminent as for Arata the whole arc about his grandfather and Karuta..
chiakimagotoOct 11, 2022 10:59 AM
Oct 11, 2022 2:10 PM
Jun 2019
FLAME2352352 said:

It comes out the same way as a month ago. You still haven't grown up. The delusion in your head still lingers.

You may have grown a little this time because you don't claim to be a neutral fan like last time.

In your delusion, I may have a lot of accounts, but I'm not a person with as much time as you are. At least I don't foam at the mouth into old comments like you.

You just proved by yourself that your reading comprehension is terrible lmao. Delusional just like how you falsely read how the Chihayafuru story is written.

-"you claim to be a neutral fan" lmao, neutral in which aspect of the story? The fact that Chihayafuru is mainly a sport manga with romances as second?

Again showing how delusional you are indeed with your flawed reading skill. Truly only read chapter that you want to read. Lmaoo

-"Not a person with as much time as you are" still have time consistently provoking and suggesting other fan to keep flaming the author.

LMAOO.
Oct 11, 2022 2:19 PM
Jun 2019
chiakimagoto said:
It's true these accounts created just a month ago to come critisize here are always a bit sus, lol

The writer gave fans many hints in her interviews and Notes to which kind of love she valued. Most of all in the story she gave such big red flags with other established couples like Harada Sensei and his wife, her saying she didn't need him to win the title, as long as he would smile. This parallel with Chihaya wanting Taichi to smile so badly

Another couple is most certainly the Inokuma family, her husband being a TV producer but fully "supporting" his wife's passion. And ofcourse the Kuzuryuu parallel of her husband "supporting" her passion for years ..poem 56, longing to meet one more time hits so hard, especially when you think about both Chihaya's and Taichi's yearning, the focus on Chihaya when she took that poem.

It was a beautiful journey for Chihaya, who started out as a child learning about a passion but during the path also learning about the Hyakunin Isshu....it's not the same as reading q poem, knowing what it is about, than reading it and simultaneously understanding the feelings to it's core in your heart....that was the journey Chihaya made while maturing.

I feel the first time she truly understood a poem in her skin and bones, was the Kaze poem...she exactly felt the pain that was written in that poem.... everything before wasn't a clear to her yet and she admitted herself, she didn't understand her feelings yet nor Arata, nor Taichi.

The shock of Taichi's departure reset her. The pain made her lucid and from then on the poems won't ever be the same anymore....she had to digest, compare, search for what was truly "hidden" in her heart while ofcourse becoming a formidable Karuta player. The layers in the story are of the genius kind, the hints, parallels....the crazy little jokes that already pointed to only 1 endgame from long before. Even the fact that Arata would become Meijin was already hinted in in the childhood arc with number 4 on his T-Shirt, the Tago poem but also a number announcing a death. (Shi), his grandfather's passing....it was all there from the start.

The writer asked several times blatantly in the story to look deeper, the study, the connect the poems, the background stories of the poets, the parallels, the symbols up to even using flowers with Hanakotoba symbolism to represent her storytelling.... it's kind of dramatic some never came to see it, the path she had ingeniously laid out for us to follow.....

I sometimes feel a reread with an explanation of the poems, the various hints and parallels should be done. It's vast, so vast, impossible to explain in 1 comment....it took years and pages and research of many fans to see them all. Tbh I'm mindblown in how she did it. Not all arcs were equally strong but an overal view of the story, makes you understand it's exceptional and rare are the stories like this out there....

All in all the romance plotline was very important for Chihaya's character development arc. The boys had other issues to handle....even if ofcourse the romance for Taichi was a big part of his arc as well, his self acceptance was probably more imminent as for Arata the whole arc about his grandfather and Karuta..

Believe me, the one creating fake account and provoking are one of the active member here. You even have argued with her before.
Oct 11, 2022 2:45 PM
Sep 2022
FLAME2352352 said:

You just proved by yourself that your reading comprehension is terrible lmao. Delusional just like how you falsely read how the Chihayafuru story is written.

-"you claim to be a neutral fan" lmao, neutral in which aspect of the story? The fact that Chihayafuru is mainly a sport manga with romances as second?

Again showing how delusional you are indeed with your flawed reading skill. Truly only read chapter that you want to read. Lmaoo

-"Not a person with as much time as you are" still have time consistently provoking and suggesting other fan to keep flaming the author.

LMAOO.

Didn't you prove your reading was terrible? You believe in Reddit's biased analysis and argue that if you talk about the writer's interview, you blame the writer.

You started the task of criticizing other users first. Just remember what you wrote.

You claimed to be a neutral fan a month ago. Oh, you don't remember because you have multiple egos. I'm sorry. I didn't understand your situation.
Oct 11, 2022 3:37 PM
Sep 2022

I made this account because I wanted to talk about Chihayafuru. It's because Chihayafuru's writing was posted here. So I made my account ID roughly and I don't come back after talking about Chihayahuru. I came to the North American community for the first time, but it wasn't as active as I thought. You may have read all of my writings, but I'm not an English speaker. Popular mangas like One Piece don't have to be discussed here. In other words, I have no reason to create multiple accounts.

To give you an interesting opinion about the poem you mentioned, there was a little problem with the mangaka's choice of poetry. There were a few instances where the mangaka misrepresented this poem which came out Hyakunin Isshu in Chihayafuru. From the perspective of non-Japanese speakers like us, they must have searched on Google and watched mangas with the superficial meaning, and in the case of Japanese people, they often knew more accurate expressions because they were poems of their own country. It's hard to express it in English, but if you search it on Google, it says it means eternal separation, but the real meaning is a separation where you can meet again.

According to the mangaka's interview, there are several books that she studied for Hyakunin Isshu. I don't know, but the Japanese say it's a fairly basic book. Perhaps because of these books, Japanese people were confused with the question of interpretation of the poem you mentioned.

I've been thinking a little differently lately. For two months, I went into the author's blog, interviewed, and thought about Yahoo, 5ch, Girl's Channel, Matome, Note, Twitter, and so on, and I thought that the mangaka might not have lied.

As the mangaka said, I thought about it until the end, and love doesn't last forever. The mangaka put it in without much thought, but I wondered if we were discussing it among ourselves.

The reason I thought this was because I thought the last episode was made in a hurry. It was pointed out in Japan, but from chihaya asking him out to the ending, it was only 10 pages long, and it was even shorter than the love confession scenes of other characters, not the previous scenes of three main characters.

Eventually, everything will be revealed on November 1st. The mangaka apparently checked the comments on Twitter and blog 5ch Yahoo. I think she'll answer with a spin-off chapter, positive or negative.
Oct 11, 2022 11:28 PM

Oct 2012
I don't know which poem you are referring to @FLAME2352352. As for your account I don't know about you....but for sure on twitter some fans resorted to making these ephemeral accounts to criticize Sensei because their too scared to show who they are. I can't take them serious.

I understand the Arata fans are sad their ship didn't sail. I most certainly would have been in the same place if Taichihaya didn't happen. So yeah, but it's clear the story was suddenly ruined for them because of the endgame. While Arata's arc is actually resolved in a beautiful way. It always was about his grandfather and him as a priority. Tbh I can understand the disappointed reactions, I would feel the same if I had been in that situation.

I feel Sensei played it a bit too tight. The neck on neck race for the romance was very intense and she most certainly baited till the end(that's how love triangles work). There was a way of weighing out the feelings though....very subtly.... but the endgame needed to be confirmed to be sure what was thought by Chihaya was truly the core of it. Actually the *he has always been here* trope is one of the biggest used in romance, even Pride and Prejudice uses it, so tbh for me chapter 234 was the bomb. Even so, the confirmation was needed to be sure. Tbh for me the deal was done in the challenger: Chihaya's reactions to Taichi were those of more than just friends and her strange reactions to his "fading feelings" were just another confirmation of how flustered she got about him.

I think Sensei had a strong help by her side when it comes to the Hyankunin Isshu, in the form of her good friend Tarereba San who is a specialist in the matter. So I'm not sure we can say she misinterpreted anything tbh. Some of these poems can be interpreted in several ways in the ends, they were written so long ago, the context and meaning if them sometimes has changed over time.

It looks like the spinoff isn't going to focus on the main characters in the end.

As for the last episode being *hurried*....I do think she was limited in space because that's how it works in the manga world....you can go over the amount of pages imposed by the editor/publisher.....it would have been nice if she had 10 more pages to finish.

I don't feel the confession was rushed or shorter than the other ones...for me it was beautiful and poetic. The focus on their hands, finally holding eachother was very touching.

Anyway for me the most beautiful confession in this manga was Taichi's....

I don't think Sensei thought about the romance till the end, it was probably about what would happen to Taichi in the future, about him going to Kyoto. In that interview by no means she explicitly says she is talking about the romance. She also corrected the people saying that she had said it was a story about Chihaya and Arata, thus their romance and clarified it was about Karuta, not romance.

I remember clearly she said in and interview Taichi was the one carrying a huge love.... so that was always the case from the start.

She never explicitly said love doesn't last forever or anything. She said something about 18 being young....but contradicts her own words by having couples in her manga that do meet in highschool, like Taichi's parents, Kana and Komano, Hyoro and Nishida's sister, Makoto and Rion so I don't see why Taichi and Chihaya are any different? This is fiction, not real life. And in this fiction, with the Hyankunin Isshu as guide line, 16 and 17 have been together a 1000 years.

Sensei most definitely has the most romantic heart ever and the way she pictured all couples in her manga was definitely not one of *love doesn't last forever*. Kuzuryuu 's story is most certainly one proving that deep companionship can last a lifetime. Even the subtle hints of the flowers in her calendar for Taichi and Chihaya are pointing out to two people who will most certainly go through life together, "futari" as a couple. Like Chihaya always saw them herself.
chiakimagotoOct 11, 2022 11:58 PM
Oct 12, 2022 2:35 AM
Sep 2022
I don't know which poem you are referring to @FLAME2352352. As for your account I don't know about you....but for sure on twitter some fans resorted to making these ephemeral accounts to criticize Sensei because their too scared to show who they are. I can't take them serious.

I understand the Arata fans are sad their ship didn't sail. I most certainly would have been in the same place if Taichihaya didn't happen. So yeah, but it's clear the story was suddenly ruined for them because of the endgame. While Arata's arc is actually resolved in a beautiful way. It always was about his grandfather and him as a priority. Tbh I can understand the disappointed reactions, I would feel the same if I had been in that situation.

I feel Sensei played it a bit too tight. The neck on neck race for the romance was very intense and she most certainly baited till the end(that's how love triangles work). There was a way of weighing out the feelings though....very subtly.... but the endgame needed to be confirmed to be sure what was thought by Chihaya was truly the core of it. Actually the *he has always been here* trope is one of the biggest used in romance, even Pride and Prejudice uses it, so tbh for me chapter 234 was the bomb. Even so, the confirmation was needed to be sure. Tbh for me the deal was done in the challenger: Chihaya's reactions to Taichi were those of more than just friends and her strange reactions to his "fading feelings" were just another confirmation of how flustered she got about him.

I think Sensei had a strong help by her side when it comes to the Hyankunin Isshu, in the form of her good friend Tarereba San who is a specialist in the matter. So I'm not sure we can say she misinterpreted anything tbh. Some of these poems can be interpreted in several ways in the ends, they were written so long ago, the context and meaning if them sometimes has changed over time.

It looks like the spinoff isn't going to focus on the main characters in the end.

As for the last episode being *hurried*....I do think she was limited in space because that's how it works in the manga world....you can go over the amount of pages imposed by the editor/publisher.....it would have been nice if she had 10 more pages to finish.

I don't feel the confession was rushed or shorter than the other ones...for me it was beautiful and poetic. The focus on their hands, finally holding eachother was very touching.

Anyway for me the most beautiful confession in this manga was Taichi's....

I don't think Sensei thought about the romance till the end, it was probably about what would happen to Taichi in the future, about him going to Kyoto. In that interview by no means she explicitly says she is talking about the romance. She also corrected the people saying that she had said it was a story about Chihaya and Arata, thus their romance and clarified it was about Karuta, not romance.

I remember clearly she said in and interview Taichi was the one carrying a huge love.... so that was always the case from the start.

She never explicitly said love doesn't last forever or anything. She said something about 18 being young....but contradicts her own words by having couples in her manga that do meet in highschool, like Taichi's parents, Kana and Komano, Hyoro and Nishida's sister, Makoto and Rion so I don't see why Taichi and Chihaya are any different? This is fiction, not real life. And in this fiction, with the Hyankunin Isshu as guide line, 16 and 17 have been together a 1000 years.

Sensei most definitely has the most romantic heart ever and the way she pictured all couples in her manga was definitely not one of *love doesn't last forever*. Kuzuryuu 's story is most certainly one proving that deep companionship can last a lifetime. Even the subtle hints of the flowers in her calendar for Taichi and Chihaya are pointing out to two people who will most certainly go through life together, "futari" as a couple. Like Chihaya always saw them herself.

Thank you for your good opinion. I think all of this criticism is one that could have been avoided.

As you said, it's hard to stop the anger on the side where the ship hasn't left. It's any manga. But it's the mangaka's problem that it keeps coming out, not just within the small community.

Also, I think you think Arata finished beautifully because you didn't already think of Arata in this romance. A lot of Taichi fans did, and so did the other side. I don't want to blame it. Because the structure of this manga itself is designed to be guided that way.

So you're going to ask, what else should the mangaka have done? In conclusion, she needed a proper narrative. She should have put in a natural scene where Arata eventually fails to love and Chihaya fell in love with Taichi properly. It's not a scene where the reader sees a poem or sees a particular scene and imagines it vaguely, but a scene that anyone can expect. It was not a scene that could be accepted only if someone had a discussion in the community, but a scene that could be understood by those who saw it first.

If I do this again, many Taichi fans will argue that you interpreted it wrong, but the mangaka's explanation on Twitter means that she failed to understand the narrative.

If the mangaka had drawn this, it would have been easy to stop the anger of the ships that couldn't left. But the reason why the mangaka can't stop the anger and even the vain criticism that comes out of Japan now is because the mangaka didn't do the work.

The same goes for eternal love. She was interviewed that 18 year old love and 28 year old love are different. Saying that love doesn't last forever. And the mangaka used that quote as Arata's last quote. The mangaka wrote the quote after thinking deeply, but it only made people uncomfortable. It doesn't mean that Taichi and Chihaya are different. This is because the mangaka explained on Twitter that she used such quotes and did not give up kindly.

Oct 12, 2022 4:30 AM

Oct 2012
She said nothing about the difference in love at 28.... she just said 18 was young to find the love of your life. You should also remember the context of the interviewer trying to press her to know what the endgame was while she sort of tried to avoid it by saying at 18 you can't choose....everyone was putting pressure on her....so of course she avoided giving a direct response.

She definitely DID show Chihaya slowly falling for Taichi....it already started before he left but she was still an "antopan" when it came to romance and got scared when he confessed because she hadn't matured enough yet. It was in missing him terribly that she understood her feelings were more than just friends feelings, a process of slow realisation which most certainly culminated at the challenger when she was crying her heart out hidden behind the little window watching Taichi take Chiha and Fu! She was overwhelmed with emotions. Btw the click in the hall reads 13:40,the panel is a full focus of Chihaya and the clock!!! the Tsuku and Shino poem, the feelings Chihaya was going through.

Alas after Taichi devastingly lost to Arata in that third match, he thought he had no chance whatsoever anymore....his dream was crushed and he said those words if fading feelings so Chihaya wouldn't be burdened by his feelings anymore.

You should understand that Taichi knew she would hear him.... because she was able to hear him blinking...only Chihaya wasn't happy at all with his declaration. It hurt her and she ran away.

So when Arata confessed in front of Suou, Chihaya who has super hearing most certainly heard him, but she has no reaction...she didn't reciprocate those feelings with Arata anymore for a long time already.

As for her soft rejection to Arata in the summer tournament, many Arata fans turned it into her asking him to wait, but if you read carefully, that definitely isn't the case. It was always clear to me she rejected Arata is a kind way because she didn't want to think about romance. Nonetheless she was flustered because it was akward and she was confused about her own feelings. I think in this period of time she most certainly started comparing the two boys and unconsciously weighing out her own feelings.

In the end back in Tokyo, Taichi sort of comes to see her at the clubroom... Chihaya doesn't see him in the same light as before anymore ..she is now more than conscious of his feelings and that he is a guy but still she wants to ask him for important advice.... because in the end Taichi was always the one by her side and they moved forward together....even if in the qualifiers he tries and play the aloof guy with her.... it's hopeless....their bond is just too strong...she knows him too well and seeing that Mizusawa t-shirt under his hoodie confirmed that his heart had always been in the right place...

The Challenger it's so clear Chihaya is rooting for Taichi.....She wanted Taichi to go with her to Omi Jingu....she knew about Arata's dream but still rooted for Taichi. That's how you know where someone's heart lies, if you have ever been in love, you will never root against the one in your heart....!!
chiakimagotoOct 13, 2022 1:04 AM
Oct 12, 2022 2:27 PM
Sep 2022
She said nothing about the difference in love at 28.... she just said 18 was young to find the love of your life. You should also remember the context of the interviewer trying to press her to know what the endgame was while she sort of tried to avoid it by saying at 18 you can't choose....everyone was putting pressure on her....so of course she avoided giving a direct response.

She definitely DID show Chihaya slowly falling for Taichi....it already started before he left but she was still an "antopan" when it came to romance and got scared when he confessed because she hadn't matured enough yet. It was in missing him terribly that she understood her feelings were more than just friends feelings, a process of slow realisation which most certainly culminated at the challenger when she was crying her heart out hidden behind the little window watching Taichi take Chiha and Fu! She was overwhelmed with emotions. Btw the click in the hall reads 13:40,the panel is a full focus of Chihaya and the clock!!! the Tsuku and Shino poem, the feelings Chihaya was going through.

Alas after Taichi decastingly list to Arata in that third match, he thought he had no chance whatsoever anymore....his dream was crushed and he said those words if fading feelings so Chihaya wouldn't be burdened by his feelings anymore.

You should understand that Taichi knew she would hear him.... because she was able to hear him blinking...only Chihaya wasn't happy at all with his declaration. It hurt her and she ran away.

So when Arata confessed in front of Suou, Chihaya who has super hearing most certainly heard him, but she has no reaction...she didn't reciprocate those feelings with Arata anymore for a long time already.

As for her soft rejection to Arata in the summer tournament, many Arata fans turned it into her asking him to wait, but if you read carefully, that definitely isn't the case. It was always clear to me she rejected Arata is a kind way because she didn't want to think about romance. Nonetheless she was flustered because it was akward and she was confused about her own feelings. I think in this period of time she most certainly started comparing the two boys and unconsciously weighing out her own feelings.

In the end back in Tokyo, Taichi sort of comes to see her at the clubroom... Chihaya doesn't see him in the same light as before anymore ..she is now more than conscious of his feelings and that he is a guy but still she wants to ask him for important advice.... because in the end Taichi was always the one by her side and they moved forward together....even if in the qualifiers he tries and play the aloof guy with her.... it's hopeless....their bond is just too strong...she knows him too well and seeing that Mizusawa t-shirt under his hoodie confirmed that his heart had always been in the right place...

The Challenger it's so clear Chihaya is rooting for Taichi.....She wanted Taichi to go with her to Omi Jingu....she knew about Arata's dream but still rooted for Taichi. That's how you know where someone's heart lies, if you have ever been in love, you will never root against the one in your heart....!!

Yes, exactly, the mangaka said that at the age of 18, she would never meet her destiny. The question was, "Doesn't it matter if the mangaka doesn't come to a conclusion?" And I thought the author answered, "Even if this manga comes to a conclusion, it's not an eternal conclusion."

I think your conclusion is too subjective of Tachi Fan.

Many fans didn't understand this part of you. After all, you're arguing that this is something Arata fans didn't understand. If many people there thought it was a euphemistic rejection, most Arata fans would have been frustrated in 2018 and Taichi fans would have cheered. But if you've watched this cartoon for a long time, you know the fans' reactions in 2018. Yeah, no one thought so. And Taichi fans saw this ending and thought “ I think it wouldn't be Taichi, so I wasn't watching it in the middle, but Taichi won. So I should watch it again.” There were a lot of responses like that. These people don't even know where that happened. There are people like 10 volumes, 16 volumes, 26 volumes, 35 volumes, even 45 volumes. Even Taichi fans don't know exactly where it was decided as Taichi. There are even people who started from volume 1, and there are people who decided on volume 49. So it was vague.

Most of the time, other magakas draw beautiful scenes for other characters. Because that character is also a precious character to the mangaka and the mangaka should give the fans a convincing situation.

Scenes like the T-shirt with Mizusawa you're talking about are too small parts. You may have seen other mangas or novels, but most mangas and novels with multiple ships have a definite arrangement. Put in a break up scene and a concluding scene that everyone admits. But this mangaka ended up saying it was a funny scene The problem is that no one laughed.

It's hard to find a cartoon like this author that organizes 50 comics into 10 pages... Yes, 15 years ended with 10 pages.

To be honest, I have nothing to say if you keep saying that it's your fault or your misunderstanding. And I don't think the scenes where the mangaka's poetry is explained or explained indirectly are bad. But I think she should have used the direct method at the peak. But she didn't do that until the last 10 pages of episode 247. If this manga is a 10-volume or a short one, that's fine. But it's a 50-volume comic book that's been running for 15 years. She had a lot of time and a lot of footage.

Oct 13, 2022 1:39 AM

Oct 2012
This story isn't a simple shoujo. It was always meant for readers that were older than teenagers and with the capability of "reading between the lines". The Mangaka more than once pointed out it was important to look deeper, she put warnings in the story but alot of fans just threw them in the wind. I think she was quite clear with some of her drawings but even that was always interpreted to fit the agenda of Arata being endgame by saying it was about friendship when it clearly was more than friendship!!!

By the time of the final arc,the Arata fans should have at least had the common sense that Taichi had a great chance to be the endgame, at least as much as Arata. Many of you disregarded it for the simple reason that Taichi had been rejected but that by no means meant it wasn't irrevocable!! This happens in so many stories, a rejection doesn't always mean it's over!! It only started after!!!

How could mutual shrine panels be ignored to the point of not being mutual longing for eachother!??? These scenes are double pages, so strong, both with iconic soft smiles looking at eachother in their imagination??? How did some of you not pick up on the importance?? To me these scenes couldn't have been more direct, the drawings are more than revealing of the deep feelings Taichi and Chihaya had for eachother. Even Yoshino!! Omg.... Chihaya most certainly was deeply impressed by Taichi's unique strategy only for her there...!! The match she had most fun, where she gave her best...was with Taichi. Personally I think the exact moment Arata lost to Taichi in love, irrevocably, was when he took Chiha from him in the Challenger; the exact moment Chihaya's heart was swayed definitely. It was kind of ironic that Taichi was crushed by Arata in Karuta, but he had crushingly won Chihaya's heart without being conscious of it... exquisite writing. Arata knew he didn't dive as deep as Taichi when it came to being in love...Taichi told his feelings to his face...and I think Arata wanted to crush him in Karuta because he already knew he couldn't compete in love....he saw Taichi's most beautiful purest feelings....and during the finals, he saw Chihaya's.

Both Taichi and Chihaya have flash backs of their time in the clubroom and it's so clear how they felt and thought about that place, a peaceful haven, full of smiles, intimate: then Chihaya's winning image was the clubroom!!

I might have a bias but at least I understood what the mangaka was going for, while your bias blinded you in thinking that it never was there and you still haven't understood the writer of the story, haven't looked for the thread and are still stuck in your agenda....

I can only advise you to reread and try and find the connections, step by step....but seen how you are commenting, I doubt you have an open mind to do that...which is understandable....

It's kind of sad to miss out because it's probably one of the most beautiful romances I've ever read...one that most certainly surpassed all the generic cute shoujos or romances out there. I think because she used the Hyankunin Isshu as guideline, this story will always be above any other ...but if you didn't take the time to look deeper into the second layer, you probably won't be able to understand....if you also didn't understand the coming of age of teenagers, the passage from being a child and maturing slowly to the point of understanding true values....

Indeed even in this story Chihaya might have started out fancying Arata for several reasons but by no means was it ever set in stone until she could pin point her true feeling by saying them OUT LOUD to the person she loved, after going through the long journey of becoming aware of what was truly in her heart.

It was a slow realisation of what were the true values of love.

Will it last or not is in the realm of headcanons. For now all 3 are in different Universities...since Taichi always worked hard for Chihaya, I don't see that changing any time soon. Whatever, the story is finished and the author wrote what she wanted.

Just like you are now saying that love is not forever, the contradiction..., why did many of you hold on to the inner declaration of Chihaya thinking she would always love Karuta and Arata as something that couldn't change? That she at that moment didn't understand her feelings, that in the end it wasn't about romance...

Tbh I think she will indeed always love Karuta and Arata, because it was about Karuta and that will never change.....just like her romantic love for Taichi and visa versa is meant to never change.

Don't be distracted by interviews where she most certainly would never have spoiled her plot, guide books that weren't written by Sensei, teasy tweets, things said on 2ch, 5ch....the only thing that is important, is to keep your eyes on the story and try and understand the message conveyed by the author! Her interpretation is the only "right" one.

This is only about the romance ofcourse while this story is so much more than that...I feel the true message of the mangaka is to inspire people to got after their dreams and work hard to get there!
chiakimagotoOct 13, 2022 4:25 AM
Oct 13, 2022 4:42 AM
Sep 2022
This story isn't a simple shoujo. It was always meant for readers that were older than teenagers and with the capability of "reading between the lines". The Mangaka more than once pointed out it was important to look deeper, she put warnings in the story but alot of fans just threw them in the wind. I think she was quite clear with some of her drawings but even that was always interpreted to fit the agenda of Arata being endgame by saying it was about friendship when it clearly was more than friendship!!!

By the time of the final arc,the Arata fans should have at least had the common sense that Taichi had a great chance to be the endgame, at least as much as Arata. Many of you disregarded it for the simple reason that Taichi had been rejected but that by no means meant it wasn't irrevocable!! This happens in so many stories, a rejection doesn't always mean it's over!! It only started after!!!

How could mutual shrine panels be ignored to the point of not being mutual longing for eachother!??? These scenes are double pages, so strong, both with iconic soft smiles looking at eachother in their imagination??? How did some of you not pick up on the importance?? To me these scenes couldn't have been more direct, the drawings are more than revealing of the deep feelings Taichi and Chihaya had for eachother. Even Yoshino!! Omg.... Chihaya most certainly was deeply impressed by Taichi's unique strategy only for her there...!! The match she had most fun, where she gave her best...was with Taichi. Personally I think the exact moment Arata lost to Taichi in love, irrevocably, was when he took Chiha from him in the Challenger; the exact moment Chihaya's heart was swayed definitely. It was kind of ironic that Taichi was crushed by Arata in Karuta, but he had crushingly won Chihaya's heart without being conscious of it... exquisite writing. Arata knew he didn't dive as deep as Taichi when it came to being in love...Taichi told his feelings to his face...and I think Arata wanted to crush him in Karuta because he already knew he couldn't compete in love....he saw Taichi's most beautiful purest feelings....and during the finals, he saw Chihaya's.

Both Taichi and Chihaya have flash backs of their time in the clubroom and it's so clear how they felt and thought about that place, a peaceful haven, full of smiles, intimate: then Chihaya's winning image was the clubroom!!

I might have a bias but at least I understood what the mangaka was going for, while your bias blinded you in thinking that it never was there and you still haven't understood the writer of the story, haven't looked for the thread and are still stuck in your agenda....

I can only advise you to reread and try and find the connections, step by step....but seen how you are commenting, I doubt you have an open mind to do that...which is understandable....

It's kind of sad to miss out because it's probably one of the most beautiful romances I've ever read...one that most certainly surpassed all the generic cute shoujos or romances out there. I think because she used the Hyankunin Isshu as guideline, this story will always be above any other ...but if you didn't take the time to look deeper into the second layer, you probably won't be able to understand....if you also didn't understand the coming of age of teenagers, the passage from being a child and maturing slowly to the point of understanding true values....

Indeed even in this story Chihaya might have started out fancying Arata for several reasons but by no means was it ever set in stone until she could pin point her true feeling by saying them OUT LOUD to the person she loved, after going through the long journey of becoming aware of what was truly in her heart.

It was a slow realisation of what were the true values of love.

Will it last or not is in the realm of headcanons. For now all 3 are in different Universities...since Taichi always worked hard for Chihaya, I don't see that changing any time soon. Whatever, the story is finished and the author wrote what she wanted.

Just like you are now saying that love is not forever, the contradiction..., why did many of you hold on to the inner declaration of Chihaya thinking she would always love Karuta and Arata as something that couldn't change? That she at that moment didn't understand her feelings, that in the end it wasn't about romance...

Tbh I think she will indeed always love Karuta and Arata, because it was about Karuta and that will never change.....just like her romantic love for Taichi and visa versa is meant to never change.

Don't be distracted by interviews where she most certainly would never have spoiled her plot, guide books that weren't written by Sensei, teasy tweets, things said on 2ch, 5ch....the only thing that is important, is to keep your eyes on the story and try and understand the message conveyed by the author! Her interpretation is the only "right" one

Thank you for your good opinion.

I personally agree with you that I have a biased interpretation, but I cannot agree with you that your interpretation is 100% correct.

To be honest, you don't know if you understand what Mangaka was trying to do. You don't need to know. You're not Chihayafuru mangaka. We just leave it to our own interpretation. And there's no such thing as the only interpretation in all media.

No one knows whether the mangaka actually proceeded with the Taichi ending from the second volume, the 35th volume or the 45th volume. Because it's actually written in a vague. You know there are different arguments about when the ending was decided, including this forum.

I don't know if you're right about the deep scene you said. Just as Taichi fans underestimated Chihaya's scene of Arata. Arata fans thought the scene of thinking about Taichi was simply sympathy. This is what even Tai Chi fans thought, so now that the ending came out, "I haven't seen it for a while, but the main character I wanted did well, so I'm going to read the comic book again." So is it right to simply drive these people to the wrong people? No, I think it's the mangaka's fault. Mangaka and editors, to be exact. If they wanted to make a masterpiece, they should have given up a little bit of sales and drawn it accurately.

So now let's assume that you're all right. I think that's the biggest point. I wrote it down several times above. The point is the mangaka's handling of Arata. If the mangaka had organized Arata's story well, everyone would have shut up and kept quiet if people like you said, "You don't understand."

But the mangaka made the worst choice. In Japan, this is called a comedy ending. Arata says he won't give up, and Chihaya doesn't listen and does something else. On the other hand, would it have been good if we had this ending for Taichi? Well, then people like you would have been swearing at Reddit all day, right? There are a lot of Taichi fans there. I'm sure it's going crazy.

Yes, the author ended up making Arata a clown at the end. This is actually the main culprit. And I think the mangaka is also aware of this criticism, given that she put Arata's story in the spin-off. The spin-off preview has already foretold Arata's story. I want Arata to end here, negative or positive. Maybe she'll push it back again, as if she's dragged it down to volume 50.

Even now, if you look up Chihayahuru reviews on Japanese websites, the word "moyamoya" comes out a lot.
A direct interpretation means a foggy state
The exact words mean that the mind is that frustrated.
It is not easy for me to find the correct words in English. I hope the mangaka knows how these people feel. I'm sure she know because mangaka uses social media a lot. I hope the spin-off goes well. As a reader I've seen for over 10 years.
Oct 13, 2022 6:53 AM

Jun 2011
FLAME2352352 said:
Didn't you prove your reading was terrible? You believe in Reddit's biased analysis and argue that if you talk about the writer's interview, you blame the writer.

You started the task of criticizing other users first. Just remember what you wrote.

You claimed to be a neutral fan a month ago. Oh, you don't remember because you have multiple egos. I'm sorry. I didn't understand your situation.
I would advice you to stop responding to Banadjie27, he's been nothing but rude this entire time. You can tell the difference with the way chiakimagoto respond to you and Banadjie27, the latter seem to be less interested in a discussion and more on insulting people.

chiakimagoto said:
@ToG25thBaam,
that up until the last 2 chapters, even most devoted Taichi fans thought Arata was the end game for Chihaya, that said everything that needed to be said about this ending

Most devoted Taichi fans DID see it coming from along time already. Sensei just needed to confirm it, which she did. All the steps leading to the ending are there. If you back read the discussions here and on Reddit, literally the ending was spelled out by alot of Taichi fans up to the fact that they are a couple like the "paired cards". Sensei built it up carefully step by step ...even if alot of us write exactly what happened ....like 2 to 3 years ago....alot of people decided to close their eyes and ignore it.....

Ofcouse Sensei tried to cover the tracks so we wouldn't be too sure about it and kept us on our toes till the end.

The endgame was decided long ago by Sensei....the puzzle fell perfectly into place when it comes to the romance.
I followed the Chihayafuru subreddit in the last few months, I am not always there, but every time I was there, many people seem to be dreadful that Arata was going to end.. up until they revealed the final card that won them the titles, and even then, some people understood it as it was about the trio's friendship since Arata was included. It really wasn't until the last 2 chapters that people started having hope for Taichi again.

Now, both our experience could've been different since I don't visit that sub everyday for the past few years. All I do know is that there are plenty of rabid Taichi fans on that sub. Even the ones who voice support for Arata are just kinder Taichi fans. So yeah, Arata does not have a lot of fans on that subreddit.

Good for the Taichi fans though..

Halsmiv-Eikahizu said:
been on my on-hold list since sept last year and... ok then congrats for the sailed ship. Glad my boi Arata finally achived his dream but then i got no other reason to continue reading this manga again.
I feel you on this. What a shame. I'll probably finish the series at some point, but there's no real reason to rush anymore, especially when even the Taichi fans admit that a lot of the stuffs between Arata and Chihaya were just cheap baits.

FLAME2352352 said:
If they wanted to make a masterpiece, they should have given up a little bit of sales and drawn it accurately.

Yes, the author ended up making Arata a clown at the end. This is actually the main culprit. And I think the mangaka is also aware of this criticism, given that she put Arata's story in the spin-off. The spin-off preview has already foretold Arata's story. I want Arata to end here, negative or positive. Maybe she'll push it back again, as if she's dragged it down to volume 50.
100% agreed with your first statement. As for the second, is it confirmed that the spin off will be about Arata?
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 13, 2022 1:41 PM

Oct 2012
Yes it seems Arata will be in the spinoff, so maybe she wants to "conclude" things in a more satisfying way for him, for his fans? Idk

Ofcouse I would have been very disappointed if Taichihaya hadn't happened, especially because I did feel there was a clear thread in the story leading to it, even if certain moments about Arata made me doubt, I hoped that what I had seen was going to lead to the endgame.....it did so I couldn't help but be very happy.

I personally always felt Arata's personal arc was the weakest of the trio and always wondered why Sensei didn't explore some parts of his character deeper, because there certainly were opportunities to elaborate it more but maybe that was just not in her agenda so she didn't do it. I still have no idea why she didn't clearly resolve his demon mode and why it disappeared and why he acted towards Taichi specifically like that....I have my ideas about it but it was never clearly explained....

Anyway, I guess nobody is perfect and I'm sure Sensei tried her best with the time she had, the restrictions and pressure ....

As for Rabid Taichi fans, there are those kind of Arata fans as well so it's a general behaviour when there are shipping wars....and just like I might have been disappointed and angry had Taichihaya not happened, if Chiharata had happened, the Arata fans would have been more than satisfied with how the story played out.... that's the pain of a love triangle so it was essential to prepare and protect one's heart because Chihaya was going to choose only 1 boy to be her romantic interest....
Oct 13, 2022 3:06 PM
Sep 2022
FLAME2352352 said:

I would advice you to stop responding to Banadjie27, he's been nothing but rude this entire time. You can tell the difference with the way chiakimagoto respond to you and Banadjie27, the latter seem to be less interested in a discussion and more on insulting people.

FLAME2352352 said:
If they wanted to make a masterpiece, they should have given up a little bit of sales and drawn it accurately.

100% agreed with your first statement. As for the second, is it confirmed that the spin off will be about Arata?

Thank you for your kindness.

Photos of the spin-off are available on Reddit. to be exact Tsukuba and Sumire welcome new members of the karuta club, Arata’s story, and Chihaya’s college life and unexpected happenings. I checked the Japanese text just in case, and I think it's right when I saw the response of the Japanese site.
Oct 13, 2022 3:24 PM
Sep 2022
Yes it seems Arata will be in the spinoff, so maybe she wants to "conclude" things in a more satisfying way for him, for his fans? Idk

Ofcouse I would have been very disappointed if Taichihaya hadn't happened, especially because I did feel there was a clear thread in the story leading to it, even if certain moments about Arata made me doubt, I hoped that what I had seen was going to lead to the endgame.....it did so I couldn't help but be very happy.

I personally always felt Arata's personal arc was the weakest of the trio and always wondered why Sensei didn't explore some parts of his character deeper, because there certainly were opportunities to elaborate it more but maybe that was just not in her agenda so she didn't do it. I still have no idea why she didn't clearly resolve his demon mode and why it disappeared and why he acted towards Taichi specifically like that....I have my ideas about it but it was never clearly explained....

Anyway, I guess nobody is perfect and I'm sure Sensei tried her best with the time she had, the restrictions and pressure ....

As for Rabid Taichi fans, there are those kind of Arata fans as well so it's a general behaviour when there are shipping wars....and just like I might have been disappointed and angry had Taichihaya not happened, if Chiharata had happened, the Arata fans would have been more than satisfied with how the story played out.... that's the pain of a love triangle so it was essential to prepare and protect one's heart because Chihaya was going to choose only 1 boy to be her romantic interest....

It's just my personal opinion. When the mangaka has come to this conclusion, I thought she was not interested in Arata. You thought Arata wasn't on her agenda too.

I think she has plenty of time and restriction on her, but of course she has pressure. I feel that just by looking at her interview. I think it would have been better if the manga was made into a short story within 10 volumes or finished around 30 volumes. Half of the 50 volumes were first and second graders in high school, and third graders were the other half. I've seen a lot of comments, but I haven't seen anyone deny that the first half of this manga was a masterpiece. In fact, the number of hooligan in Japan increased sharply by around 30 volumes. Arata fans and Taichi fans have different complaints.

Oct 13, 2022 11:23 PM

Oct 2012
Yes, we all have our own *criticism* about the story and that's fine as long as we respect the author.

No story is perfect and being a Mangaka is probably one of the hardest jobs around....the pressure of deadlines, editors, publishers, drawing and writing a story at the same time, Chihayafuru is a complicated one, while having a busy family life on the side, was most certainly a feat in itself.

I feel Arata could have had a deeper personal arc but in the end it didn't bother that much because I'm a Taichi fan....my eyes were always more directed to what happened to him than Arata. Most Arata fans seemed more than satisfied with Arata's character arc until the last chapter....so it's clear that they rejected the whole thing because of the romance outcome and I find that quite strange cause I don't see how Arata's arc was suddenly ruined by the endgame....Sensei made wonderful closure for him with his grandfather and the people of Fukui...

I understand that the scene where he finds out about Taichi and Chihaya dating was difficult to digest, but I think Sensei wanted to show that Arata wasn't heartbroken about it and he made that weird joke to Taichi to keep Taichi on his toes and make him work hard to keep Chihaya. The little tap on Taichi's chest showed that by no means he is a jerk but Taichi and Arata will be rivals in the future! The life long rivals to go through life with.

The last panel is beautiful....they are all smiling and playing karuta, a community made of friends, teachers, rivals, couples, young and old.,.. that's the message and Arata looks fine...he is integrally part of it, he is the new Meijin. So please try and see the positive side of it all for him because it's not 10 pages that suddenly change how Arata should be seen by his fans. He made friends, is part of a great community, he is still the same positive person he was throughout the whole story.....he is not pitiful nor a clown or anything.

chiakimagotoOct 13, 2022 11:40 PM
Oct 14, 2022 5:43 AM
Sep 2022
Yes, we all have our own *criticism* about the story and that's fine as long as we respect the author.

No story is perfect and being a Mangaka is probably one of the hardest jobs around....the pressure of deadlines, editors, publishers, drawing and writing a story at the same time, Chihayafuru is a complicated one, while having a busy family life on the side, was most certainly a feat in itself.

I feel Arata could have had a deeper personal arc but in the end it didn't bother that much because I'm a Taichi fan....my eyes were always more directed to what happened to him than Arata. Most Arata fans seemed more than satisfied with Arata's character arc until the last chapter....so it's clear that they rejected the whole thing because of the romance outcome and I find that quite strange cause I don't see how Arata's arc was suddenly ruined by the endgame....Sensei made wonderful closure for him with his grandfather and the people of Fukui...

I understand that the scene where he finds out about Taichi and Chihaya dating was difficult to digest, but I think Sensei wanted to show that Arata wasn't heartbroken about it and he made that weird joke to Taichi to keep Taichi on his toes and make him work hard to keep Chihaya. The little tap on Taichi's chest showed that by no means he is a jerk but Taichi and Arata will be rivals in the future! The life long rivals to go through life with.

The last panel is beautiful....they are all smiling and playing karuta, a community made of friends, teachers, rivals, couples, young and old.,.. that's the message and Arata looks fine...he is integrally part of it, he is the new Meijin. So please try and see the positive side of it all for him because it's not 10 pages that suddenly change how Arata should be seen by his fans. He made friends, is part of a great community, he is still the same positive person he was throughout the whole story.....he is not pitiful nor a clown or anything.

Yes, but all the scenes you mentioned are described from Taichi's point of view. It's not just a love scene, but it's also about Karuta. Chihaya and Arata won the championship, but the end of the Karuta page is decorated by Taichi. The interview scene after Chihaya's victory doesn't even exist. She's the main character of this manga.

Eventually, the meijin and queen you're talking about became a part of no one's interest. I haven't found any touching reviews of Chihaya Queen and Arata meijin in most reviews, including Reddit and this site. Everyone was just interested in where the ship was sailing. It's been a karuta for 50 volumes, and readers are not interested in Queen and the Meijin. People aren't impressed. Was this a problem for ignorant readers? I don't think so.

Yes, the last page is really beautiful. But many people were also very disappointed that Arata was not in the last photo. I don't know if the mangaka wanted to show that Arata wasn't heartbroken, to be honest. I just think she didn't think Arata. I think she just forgot Arata was the main character. Like you said, it was mostly positive, but the last page decided everything.
Oct 14, 2022 11:56 AM

Oct 2012
I don't agree with you that everyone only spoke about the romance in the last chapter reviews....contrary there were such magnificent moments in chap 246 with Chihaya and Shinobu looking out at the mountain tops, in 247 Chihaya looking at all the sashes on the trophy she won, while Shinobu walks out with the little god's, the trio hug, Taichi finally accepting himself, Shinobu and Suou's closure were very good, the moment Chihaya is acknowledged by her sister is wonderful, nah it definitely wasn't only about romance!!! It's true the disappointed fans mostly only focused on that while the whole chapter was a bomb of emotions.

Maybe you had an idea if how you wanted the story to end but that doesn't mean the writer is going to fit your expectations. She always wrote what she wanted and sometimes it was painful, emotional and I've often shed tears in this story...she never hesitated to write her own idea of how she saw the story.

Why did she leave Arata out of the picture: because he realistically was probably celebrating with his parents and the supporters from Fukui. This pic is obviously taken by Tsukuba and the people from Tokio are on it.... it's as simple as that.

Arata definitely was a main character, he was more than present in this final arc and got a big spotlight, lots of panel time! He just wasn't Chihaya's love interest, but don't worry about him: he seems to have caught the attention of several girls, so I'm sure he won't end up single and lonely in the future: that is at least what I felt Sensei was trying to show for him.

The irony I feel about this all....how many times did Arata fans tell me to shut up about romance because the story was about karuta and not romance....and now that the romance didn't happen for him, so many are disappointed?? He won the highest title in karuta!

Arata reached his dream, his most convoited desire: becoming Meijin, carrying on the legacy of his grandfather and his hometown. Shouldn't Arata fans be more happy for him?

Taichi's dream was always to have the closest place next to Chihaya.

All 3 realised their deepest inner dream. This is probably the core of the story: work hard to make your dreams come true! Do things for yourself! Support others but find what you want to do for yourself without having to live up to anyone's expectations. Try with a little help from your precious friends, family, teachers!
chiakimagotoOct 14, 2022 12:26 PM
Oct 14, 2022 4:13 PM
Sep 2022
Not everyone, to be exact It's pretty much.
Critics and lovers don't talk much about Karuta. You didn't write it down until I told you. Even the people who did the second creation didn't draw or write Chihaya being queen.

Yes, the same goes for the photo issue. There are people who think differently from the picture, just as you judge an mangaka's thoughts by looking at a small thing. Even if your interpretation is correct, was it necessary to take a picture like that? Shouldn't they have just taken it with Arata and Shinobu? Whatever you think, that's not something we can know.

It's hard to agree with the mangaka's attempt to give Arata another love. Arata and Shinobu had no contact points, and Yuu didn't appear many times. She doesn't even do Karuta. There are even more scenes where Sumire loves Taichi. If, as you said, the mangaka was concerned about another couple, she wouldn't have drawn 50 volumes like that. The ending she drew was that Arata never gives up, but did she really think about another couple? idk

Even except for the person who played in the last episode, Taichi was the only one who got a great scene about the Karuta. But Arata got a comedy scene about love.

As you said, everything went well just by looking at the results. But here we're talking about the process of reaching that result and the scene that the mangaka is drawing. If the main character of the sports manga wins first place, it's good, and if the main character of the manga like One Piece finds a treasure, it's good. But people want the process. Because that's a manga. It's not like a report.
FLAME2352352Oct 14, 2022 4:18 PM
Oct 14, 2022 11:59 PM

Oct 2012
Chihaya's win was beautiful in chapter 246, the process was very detailed and long to get there, to that last Tachi take that made them both win. Chapter 247 is the wrap up so I don't understand your critisim of not seeing. Actually everyone made the comments about Chihaya and Arata winning in chapter 246, cause that is where it was decided. It definitely was not a report or we wouldn't have been crying the whole chapter because of all the emotional moments.

The hug between the trio was the culmination in chap 247, Taichi telling them how awesome they were. The h5 was their moment of celebration...why were words needed? It was a beautiful big page of Arata and Chihaya celebrating their win. It just wasn't a romantic conclusion and them running towards Taichi, Chihaya fully hugging Taichi with two arms, must have confirmed for Arata what he already suspected about her feelings. I don't think them dating at the end was a true surprise for him...contrary, that's why it was comical.... because he already knew about their feelings, being the one who witnessed them from up close.

I think Sensei on purpose didn't pair up Arata just for pairing up, but she just "hinted" that Arata pleases enough girls to be able to find a new romantic interest in the future, leaving it "open". Taichi's eyes were always and only on Chihaya, and Sumire knew that all too well...that there was no chance he would look at her, that it always was "Only Chiha", from the start.

I guess because Arata wasn't endgame, you can never be satisfied with the story anymore. So the only thing to do is try and move on...and find another story that does live up to your expectations.

Nice chatting to you, thank you for being polite till the end.
chiakimagotoOct 15, 2022 12:06 AM
Oct 15, 2022 4:06 PM
Sep 2022
Chihaya's win was beautiful in chapter 246, the process was very detailed and long to get there, to that last Tachi take that made them both win. Chapter 247 is the wrap up so I don't understand your critisim of not seeing. Actually everyone made the comments about Chihaya and Arata winning in chapter 246, cause that is where it was decided. It definitely was not a report or we wouldn't have been crying the whole chapter because of all the emotional moments.

The hug between the trio was the culmination in chap 247, Taichi telling them how awesome they were. The h5 was their moment of celebration...why were words needed? It was a beautiful big page of Arata and Chihaya celebrating their win. It just wasn't a romantic conclusion and them running towards Taichi, Chihaya fully hugging Taichi with two arms, must have confirmed for Arata what he already suspected about her feelings. I don't think them dating at the end was a true surprise for him...contrary, that's why it was comical.... because he already knew about their feelings, being the one who witnessed them from up close.

I think Sensei on purpose didn't pair up Arata just for pairing up, but she just "hinted" that Arata pleases enough girls to be able to find a new romantic interest in the future, leaving it "open". Taichi's eyes were always and only on Chihaya, and Sumire knew that all too well...that there was no chance he would look at her, that it always was "Only Chiha", from the start.

I guess because Arata wasn't endgame, you can never be satisfied with the story anymore. So the only thing to do is try and move on...and find another story that does live up to your expectations.

Nice chatting to you, thank you for being polite till the end.

Thank you for your good idea.

It's my personal opinion, but I don't agree with the saying that it should have been an Arata ending like some people. I expected Taichi's ending to be a certain extent. However still, the mangaka's treatment of Arata was very disappointing. I was wondering if she should have done this. And it was a little sad that Taichi fans didn't treat Arata as the main character.

Thank you very much for your good opinion over the days. Now that this manga is over, I should look for another one as you said. I hope you find another good story too.

Oct 16, 2022 12:12 AM

Oct 2012
Oh that about Taichi fans didn't treat Arata as a main character!! Omg so many Arata fans said Taichi should have disappeared in V2, or that he was a side character after the challengers....so this kind of talk existed on both sides....I think really you should forget about what some fans say....both Taichi and Arata were important till the end and part of the original trio, there is no doubt about that. They all 3 influenced eachother's life in a positive way and I feel all 3 became better people because they met.

I don't feel Arata was treated badly: he had a beautiful speech after he won. It was very touching. He got tons of panels in this last arc.

I understand that the moment he finds out Taichi and Chihaya are dating is painful for his fans. I just am convinced Arata's feelings for Chihaya never were able to develop into something deep like Taichi for the simple reason he was far and also had other priorities, his mourning over his grandfather, probably is what filled his heart. I just don't think he was heartbroken seeing them together. He always already thought they were. He just didn't want to be left out. He won't, because they always will meet because they will always play karuta. Arata was always the lead in karuta and Taichi in romance.

He looks fine in those last pages playing karuta and I'm sure Sensei always loved all her characters...they almost felt like they were alive to her.

He will be in the coming chapter too. It will be the last chapter of volume 50. I'm sure she'll give him a happy ending. Already he looks fine on the calendar attending Waseda with Hyoro and Eromu, Taichi is texting him for his birthday....and Arata is texting Taichi to do his best in the Challenger on Taichi's November month. The boys are actively keeping in touch.
Oct 16, 2022 6:38 PM
Sep 2016
To be honest I don’t understand how Arata was treated badly: he achieve becoming Meijin which was his main goal since the beginning. He moved to Tokyo, he has new friends and still messages with Taichi according to the calendar, so I think he’ll do great. He looked really happy in the last chapter. I remember Arata’s fans saying only he was the main character and Taichi was a secondary character, they even wanted Taichi to be the reader at a possible Chihaya and Arata match. šŸ¤£ Arata is my third favorite character and I’m happy with the resolution he got. He’ll do great at Waseda and broaden his surroundings. Its normal not everyone is 100% happy with the ending but looking at facts Arata did pretty well.
Oct 18, 2022 9:42 PM
Jun 2019
Idril07 said:
To be honest I don’t understand how Arata was treated badly: he achieve becoming Meijin which was his main goal since the beginning. He moved to Tokyo, he has new friends and still messages with Taichi according to the calendar, so I think he’ll do great. He looked really happy in the last chapter. I remember Arata’s fans saying only he was the main character and Taichi was a secondary character, they even wanted Taichi to be the reader at a possible Chihaya and Arata match. šŸ¤£ Arata is my third favorite character and I’m happy with the resolution he got. He’ll do great at Waseda and broaden his surroundings. Its normal not everyone is 100% happy with the ending but looking at facts Arata did pretty well.

His dream was to be a meijin in the first place, he works for it, sweat and blood thus fulfill it in the end. He defeated the undefeated incumbent at such a young age. The delusional fans treat it as terrible.

I dont know tbh whcih Chihayafuru they read.
Oct 21, 2022 1:41 AM

Oct 2012
What I like about Chihaya's confession, is that she decided to confess without having any pressure from the two boys. She had *rejected* them both so neither was expecting anything from her. It's pure her own feelings that pushed her to confess to the boy she loved because she didn't want him to slip out of her life, and karuta was definitely not enough.

She took the whole story to learn which boy she wanted by her side, and which one she missed terribly when he wasn't around. In the end Chihaya was always fine meeting Arata just through karuta and her life continued happily with Mizusawa without him. The big difference with the void Taichi left behind, which triggered painful longing and tears....in the end she understood the difference in her heart.

The confession is purely linked to Chihaya's coming of age arc, growing into a young woman on the verge of becoming an adult, understanding true values of love and friendship....wanting the other's happiness and supporting eachother being the essential points in this kind of love. Both proved they were already actively doing it ... because the other was their most important person.

Ofcourse there had to be hurdles to jump, and there will always be....but when love is strong, they can be overcome.
Nov 13, 2022 2:44 AM
May 2020
The only thing I was hopin and I didnt expect was:

Nov 20, 2022 9:08 PM

May 2016
I'll be honest, I knew that the author was bad at romance stories because I had read previous ones but I expected it to be different, spoiler, it wasn't.
Taichi is a great person and the most popular guy in the fandom, but Chihaya never felt attracted to him, we are not talking about who was worth or deserved more to be reciprocated (which is relative) but the one who reciprocated Chihaya's feelings.
If you read the back cover of the manga you will see that Arata was the person with whom, by the author's decision, Chihaya was going to end up. In another side Taichi is, although not my favorite or even close to, a great guy but the decision to Chihaya to end him was sudden and let's be honest to please the majority of fans, a decision made by Hiro Mashima, Masashi Kishimoto that I hate (not because I hate the couples but because they put in clear that money is what matters)., If Taichi had been Chihaya's romantic interest from the beginning this would not have bothered me because I'm used to the fact that who I love doesn't stay with the protagonist.
Although writing this I can't understand how I didn't see it coming because the author was lengthening the manga in order to gain money and the stories were not finished, they were only created, I wanted to see Kana-chan, Nikuman-kun, Tsukue-kun, Hyoro -kun fulfilling his dreams, or a glimpse into the future of Harada-sensei, Chihaya's friend, the Karuta's club advisor, etc.

Remember, it was not a manga with a romantic focus, even so, the author took popular characters and forgot the rest, for a manga that I loved, the ending left me so upset that it took more than a month to give my opinion.
Nov 24, 2022 2:41 AM

Oct 2012
^ not everyone thinks this about Sensei's writing. I feel this was one of the most beautiful romances ever written....you had to pay attention to Chihaya's maturing and changing feelings. Tbh what happened at the challenger was the biggest red flag ever: you don't root against your love interest! That's where at least the fans that were rooting for Arata receiving Chihaya's love should have at least been on high alert.

The mutual shrine panels, both double spreads sealed the deal. This wasn't crushy baiting but the real deal.

Arata had his own shrine panel which clearly showed what was most important in his heart.... while Taichi and Chihaya had eachother in their hearts.

Sensei depicted it in such a beautiful manner, their mutual longing felt so deep.

Making it something set in stone in the pairing of the Hyakunin Isshu was a mind blowing move, showing that it was planned from the start, the moment she chose their names. I always had a little hope this was the case so I can't even express the goosebumps I felt when she actually drew the 2 cards as a pair on the fusuma, coupled with "he has always been by my side"...my emotions just were overwhelming....
chiakimagotoNov 24, 2022 3:41 AM
Nov 24, 2022 1:15 PM
Dec 2012
OMFGG that ending I can'ttttt. The way I waited years for this manga. It was an amazing end and I couldn't stop crying. Finally, Chihaya and Taichi get together TT^TT. I've been shipping them since i was 10 years old !!! Asfgjkfkadkadjh so many emotions now that this is done.
Nov 29, 2022 1:11 AM

Dec 2021
So, it's been a few months since the manga came to an end, and while the majority of readers thought this series' conclusion was excellent, there is also some criticism because, as we all know, no ending can satisfy everyone. People have been criticising the author on reddit, twitter, and even here on MAL, claiming that the ending was messed up, the themes were lost, and most importantly, that she should not have ended Chihaya with Taichi.

Well, let's start with the finale. In my opinion, it was the finest possible ending, and if it had happened any other way, I would have been depressed for months, and I've seen users here who dropped the series believing she'd end up with Arata, and don't get me wrong here, I don't dislike a single character in this series, but I think Taichi suffered the most because it was mentioned in manga many times that he doesn't like karuta as much as chihaya and arata. I think the ending was beautiful and it wouldn't have been better because I watched him develop throughout the series. He was also my favourite character.

Isn't the game Karuta the focus of this series? and arata have been praised and was good in karuta from the start, and I accept that he was the one who ignited chihaya's desire to be the best in the world and the reason she discovered her passion is because of him, but who supported her constantly, who stayed by her side, and who helped create the mizusawa karuta club with her. In the last second chapter, she realised that taichi was the one who was continuously supported her.
And i've seen a lot of people argue that arata was supposed to end up with her, etc. Well, the author made the decision and she finished it in the best way she could have, and she worked hard for it.
Normally, I don't take offence when people insult the show I adore, but since Chihayafuru has grown on me, it irritates me when others trash talks about it or criticise the author for the conclusion.

People often say that the themes were forgotten, but in reality, they were never lost because in the end, she fulfilled her dreams.

AbyqueNov 29, 2022 3:59 AM
Nov 30, 2022 12:37 PM
Jun 2016
I can deal with this ending but not gonna lie prefer arata I think their relationship just felt natural. Taichi had some issues like him having a girlfriend that he kinda just dumps on the spot when he reunites with chihaya after the timeskip. Him leaving when chihaya rejects him It's not really the healthiest relationship or friendship even. I feel like arata's and chihaya's was just so natural and alright. In fact i prefered if Taichi got over Chhaya I think it be more interesting for me if his first steps was loving karuta, and then getting over chihaya who got him to wanna play it. But oh well I'm dissapointed not enough to hate the series like domestic girlfriend because they didn't disrespect arata that badly at least thank god. But yeah, meh I can sleep this series of and kinda forget about it now that it is over.

But oh well let's see what the spin of is about Might be something interesting, maybe who knows. Depending on what it is about I will see if I care to read it.
Dec 15, 2022 8:47 AM

May 2019
Well.. Taichi... I see

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Dec 28, 2022 1:52 AM

Oct 2014
Arata shippers in shambles... 

Really did not expect Chihaya to confess in the end. It just felt so out of character and unexpected considering all of Tachi's self loathing and borderline depression the previous chapters. Oh well, it is what it is. 

Good to see a happy ending though. One of the longest manga I've been following has finally ended.. Aah!
Feb 19, 2023 4:13 PM
Jun 2013
Regardless of if you preferred Chihaya with Arata or Taichi, I don't see how anyone could say the ending to this love triangle was good. There was no development in her feelings and the ending here was random and very out of character for Chihaya. That part of the story was ultimately handled poorly imo. It seems the writing was clearly leading for Arata (Taichi had a whole arc getting over Chihaya and said he was losing interest in her) and like Taichi said when they both won, they both look like they were made for each other. 

The most emotional moment was Chitose finally acknowledging Chihaya (that made my eyes water). For me, the peak of the story was Chihaya's first win against Shinobu, though.

I wish there was more material. I want a sequel. I want to know that Shinobu and Chihaya played 5-6 Queen matches, winning and losing to each other for the title and maybe see Inokuma get back in there and make it to Eternal Queen. I want to see Shinobu make money and mentor kids. I want to Taichi make it to Arata and lose and lose and lose! (Until he eventually wins...and then loses the title again haha) 

I want to see Arata and Chihaya in college and see her try to balance that and Karuta with a long-distance relationship. Writing all this just reminds me of how much I love all these characters (except Taichi). This is one of the best stories I have ever come across. 
Feb 24, 2023 2:39 AM

Oct 2012
I don't understand how people didn't see Chihaya's feelings change. The climax in the challengers, when first Taichi helps her with Su, the implications of this poem, that he cannot even meet her in a dream, then his Chiha take under Arata's nose with all the romantic implications between the two boys is sort of clear. Chihaya's feelings watching them behind the door crying, even the clock in the hall on 13:40....poem 13 and 40 fitting the moment perfectly.

Then later they do see eachother in a mutual "dream"!!!

Which girl thinks that hard about a boy and is in love with another???? That's no way in the world. And which boy is so heartbroken seeing the love of his life with another guy? These two love eachother....even these panels in a shrine,look like their mutual poems.

Anyway I just don't get it.

By the moment we are at chapter 234 and she thinks *he has always been here* biggest romance trope ever, she's all flustered thinking about his feelings in the middle of a match....he is crying watching her....peak romance and she wins on poem 13....this is almost too thick. Sensei tried to hide till the end but she placed her pieces for the romance carefully and solidly.

Well, the story isn't only about romance so those who liked the sports side sure got their fill. It was a beautiful story, even if not everything is perfect, I feel Suetsugu San gave every drop of her energy and love to it. She was a true mastermind in the whole set up of the story.
chiakimagotoApr 16, 2023 12:40 AM
Apr 5, 2023 4:31 PM

Feb 2019
A masterclass of the highest magnitude. I have ZERO complaints with the ending. My goat Tachi got his happy ending that he deserved with his queen, literally. I’d love like a little extra chapter of them going around as a couple but man I’m gonna sleep so nice tonight knowing that I won. Can’t believe it’s finally over after 15 years I feel like I lost a part of me.
Apr 19, 2023 7:14 AM
Apr 2012
I was first introduced to this manga by the anime when I was in high school. I followed it for a while but dropped it when the anime S2 ended. I periodically checked back over the years but it seemed like it was one of those never ending manga that would go on for another 50 volumes.

Imagine my surprise when I checked on it 3 days ago and not only had it ended a year prior, but the ship I had been pulling for from day 1 had become endgame! I will shamelessly say that the main pull of this manga for me was never Karuta but the romance subplot (cringe, I know. but also f u). I was beyond devastated for my guy Taichi after chapter 137 and it did look bleak for him for a while.

That being said, I went back and read most of the chapters and I have to say that his character development was done beautifully. It no longer was just about him getting the girl, it was his personal journey that stuck out to me. His fatal flaw was always being a coward, someone who runs away from difficulty because it’s easier than confronting it. Even the one time he faced his feelings head on it ended horribly so I can’t exactly blame the guy! However we see by the end of the series how much he had grown. The page where he congratulates Arata and Chihaya and their victories was so well done. You could see the self-doubt emanating from him even through his congratulations, and both Arata and Chihaya look like they don’t know how to handle Taichis feelings in the moment. However he found the strength to issue that challenge to Arata, something that he never could do before, and that was the moment which cemented his growth in my eyes.

I do share the opinion that the epilogue could have been longer and more involved, but I do think the few panels we do get are beautiful. I read/heard somewhere that the author wanted to end it sooner but the editor pushed her to extend it a little bit. Regardless of whether it was forced or not, I think it was as well done as realistically possible. I saw many people saying that the confession at the end came out of left field, even from fellow Taichihaya fans, so I went back to chapter 164 and read (most of) the chapters until the end. I kinda skipped the more Karuta heavy chapters (sue me) but I think I was able to come to a conclusion on the romance subplot. The author played it very, very tight until the end, which I think is par for the course for this genre. However I think the decision was foreseeable from at least chapter 190-200 onward. There were still many moments between Chihaya and Arata, but the most important moments happened in Chihaya’s mind.

How she looked at him during that karaoke scene, how she saw him when she prayed at the shrine, how she reacted when overhearing that his feelings might be fading, and how that scene replayed in her head repeatedly, how she explicitly said to herself that he had always been by her side, how she desperately wanted him to smile. His feelings were clear from day 1 but these moments over so many chapters were hints of her coming to terms with what she really wanted. In the end she almost kept taking him for granted but the push from her adviser and her friends gave her the catalyst to make her feelings known. Sometimes it takes the threat of losing someone forever to make you understand that you really do love them. She thought that since Taichi had always been by her side he always would be by her side. When this line of thinking was shattered, she had to act.

Fwiw, I think Taichi had moved on in some respects. He obviously still loved her a great deal, but he had come to terms with the fact that she may never return those feelings. He was ready to let her go and find his own path elsewhere. The panel where he said “as long as we have Karuta…” solidified that for me. There was no amount of self-doubt, loathing, possessiveness, or cowardice in that statement. It was his way of saying that he would always be her friend, but of course she wasn’t satisfied with just that!

All in all, a very enjoyable read and a wild ride from start to finish. With this manga coming to a close it feels like a chapter of my youth closed with it. From fan fiction, to fan art, from shipping wars in the depths of manga forums to reading Reddit threads at 3AM, it has been quite the journey.

Farewell Chihayafuru. šŸ˜Š
Feb 22, 8:48 PM
Jul 2018
Hello. It's been a long time since this chapter was out, and I personally kind of missed out on the later chapters (beyond chapter 200), but I recently read the volume 50 of Chihayafuru in Japanese, and apparently there was several extra pages before Chihaya's confession in the volume version (compared to the initial magazine version). I don't know if anyone has pointed it out, though, because I found out really late.

The difference is: Chihaya recites 'Kaze wo itami' poem after Komano told her Taichi's going away and they're just friends. There are some panels redrawn in addition to the new pages, such as Chihaya thinking of Taichi's smiling face and Chihaya's expression before going to Taichi. So the new 'sequence' is Komano tells them Taichi's going away -> Chihaya recites 'Kaze wo itami' poem with a series of flashback: her crying while making chocolate (around ch 135 if I remember correctly), her telling Arata that Taichi's not here but she felt his presence (start of third nationals), and her hallucinating his face at the shrine (start of Queen matches) -> confession

The omake is Mizusawa OG watching Chihaya's Queen interview in Taichi's room, Chihaya's stomach growls during interview, and Chihaya says that if possible, she wants to play 5 more matches in the same day, and Nishida, Komano, Kanade tease her for it ("Japan's number 1 karuta freak").
removed-userFeb 22, 11:10 PM
Mar 18, 1:31 AM

Oct 2012
I love tge way Chihaya confessed....in the way of reciting kartu cards...she actually said
SU
KI
DA
YO

Like she was reciting Su,Ta, Me, Oe etc....that's why Taichi has this face of "What are you saying?"

And repeats: "did you just say you love me!!???"

It's SO in character for Chihaya and it's so touching....because she understood the feelings, the poets and on top of it all SU is the poem(18) of dreams so it's all so subtle and wonderful. I need to see this animated.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Problem with this manga.

Suiely_c-ute - Mar 22

3 by Suiely_c-ute »»
Mar 28, 7:51 AM

» Chihayafuru Sequel - Chihayafuru plus - kimi ga tame announced

ItzElite - Oct 31, 2023

19 by CelticMindset »»
Jan 2, 3:34 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 205 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2018

79 by Zooincle »»
Oct 31, 2023 9:39 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 134 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2014

15 by Zooincle »»
Oct 29, 2023 9:23 PM

» How does the manga compare to the anime? (NO SPOILERS)

TsutanaiFuun - Jul 21, 2023

2 by Nirinbo »»
Jul 21, 2023 10:09 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.