Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 20, 2010 1:53 PM

Oct 2009
Good day :D

I'm having a question about Light Novels.
Because currently, in school, we're supposed to read a book in English and write a review about it, and earlier today I asked the teacher whether I will get a better or worse grade depending on the difficultly on the book I read and she told be that it doesn't matter.
So I thought "Why not read a light novel?"

So my question is: Do any of you know of a good light novel in English which is available on the net? (Read online or download, doesn't matter)
And if you know a place where to read it, please post a link :D

I hope I explained this well enough to be understood :3
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Apr 20, 2010 1:59 PM

Apr 2010
Read Candide by Voltaire. It's less than 100 pages in a paperback and it's some of the best satire you'll ever read by one of the most highly regarded satirists of all time.
Apr 20, 2010 2:03 PM

Jan 2009
You could look into the Moribito Series, the first two of the nine Light novels are currently translated and on sale on amazon.
Apr 20, 2010 2:08 PM

Oct 2009
zharnotczar said:
Read Candide by Voltaire. It's less than 100 pages in a paperback and it's some of the best satire you'll ever read by one of the most highly regarded satirists of all time.

burntlettuce said:
You could look into the Moribito Series, the first two of the nine Light novels are currently translated and on sale on amazon.

Thank you a lot :D
But I can't buy them because when they're shipped to me, the review should have already been given to the teacher :/

Although I might buy some books later, for my own satisfaction :D
Apr 20, 2010 2:10 PM

Apr 2010
Here's a link to Candide.

http://manybooks.net/titles/voltaireother05candide.html

It's a free download.
Apr 20, 2010 2:12 PM

Nov 2008
Well, how nice and convenient the idea may seem, I think it's better to lay it off.
What I remember from a regular report, apart from giving a brief summary of the story, which also was the least important of it, it always had its focus on other things; its stylistics per example, and other things I don't feel like listing right now.. (You know how certain writers have an unique use of grammer or like refer to other works or tend to use tropes?) (It mostly depends on what the teacher expects you to do; didn't she hand you a sheet or anything?) And from the few LN's I read.. they're just like the name implies 'light reads', and have neither of these things, that make or break a 'literary' work.

Unless it's a sole report on the 'summary' of a book, picking a LN is no problem in that case. (But please don't do a review on a book you read online, that is cheap.. In that case, go to the (school) library and pick an English original title.)

No bakatsuki for you. Anyhow, good luck ;)
Apr 20, 2010 2:14 PM

Nov 2008
zharnotczar said:

Do you think the OP has any idea who Voltaire is? And second, wouldn't it be better to choose an original ENGLISH work?
Apr 20, 2010 2:16 PM

Apr 2010
desolato said:
zharnotczar said:

Do you think the OP has any idea who Voltaire is? And second, wouldn't it be better to choose an original ENGLISH work?
What better way is there to find out who Voltaire is?
It doesn't matter whether or not it was originally written in English. It's a great read. It's short. It's incredibly popular. It's a sure win. Teachers can't resist grading higher on reports for good books.
Apr 20, 2010 2:18 PM

Nov 2008
zharnotczar said:
desolato said:
zharnotczar said:

It doesn't matter whether or not it was originally written in English. It's a great read. It's short. It's incredibly popular. It's a sure win. Teachers can't resist grading higher on reports for good books.

True, can't disagree to that, and teachers, ah, the suckers that they are.. it's all true.
But I suppose Azathoth has to read this for his/her English class, and 'we' always had to read original works, but perhaps this has gotten more lenient over the past years?
Apr 20, 2010 2:27 PM

Oct 2009
desolato said:
zharnotczar said:
desolato said:
zharnotczar said:

True, can't disagree to that, and teachers, ah, the suckers that they are.. it's all true.
But I suppose Azathoth has to read this for his/her English class, and 'we' always had to read original works, but perhaps this has gotten more lenient over the past years?

Not really, we can read pretty much whatever we like, but if the book is easier, the review will be harder which is resulting in worse grades.
But I think I can pull it off xP

I mean, if I wanted it more easy, I could pick something like Lord of the Rings which I've already read (Meaning that I can just read like 1/10 pages and still get a grasp on what's going on and be able to write a review). But where's the fun in that? I'd rather take this as a chance to get to read some light novels :D

Oh, and this isn't a big thing, we've already had that one. This is more like a relaxer between other work :P
Apr 20, 2010 2:29 PM

Apr 2010
It seems that the teacher isn't concerned about anything but that the book is in English.

Light novels are of Japanese origin, anyways...
Apr 20, 2010 2:29 PM

Oct 2009
zharnotczar said:
It seems that the teacher isn't concerned about anything but that the book is in English.

But translated into English :D
Apr 20, 2010 2:31 PM

Apr 2010
Azathoth said:
zharnotczar said:

But translated into English :D
Hooray for translators! It would be fun, I think, to translate books for some extra cash. I need to get fluent in some languages before I can do that, though...
Apr 20, 2010 2:32 PM

Apr 2008
in general, it's best to keep anime/manga/light novels/whatever separate from your schoolwork. Approximately what reading level are you at, and what do you enjoy reading? It's kinda difficult to give any suggestions without knowing your preferences.

Apr 20, 2010 2:33 PM

Nov 2008
Okay, no offense in that.
But promise me one thing, please don't pick the Haruhi novels for your review.. while the anime is amusing, the writing is just horrible. If you could get your hands on the Welcome to the N.H.K. novel, go with that. Otherwise, try Ballad of a Shinigami or look through the catalogue of Tokyopop.

And trust me, reading fan translations of unlicensed light novels, won't do you or your review any good. (Baka Tsuki is off limits ;) )
Apr 20, 2010 2:39 PM

Apr 2010
I tend to agree with MisterSaito, but it appears as though your teacher doesn't care. I still suggest Candide, though.
Apr 20, 2010 2:44 PM

Oct 2009
MisterSaito said:
in general, it's best to keep anime/manga/light novels/whatever separate from your schoolwork. Approximately what reading level are you at, and what do you enjoy reading? It's kinda difficult to give any suggestions without knowing your preferences.
What level I am on.. well, pretty much anything a boy my age would enjoy. So me not reading a book wouldn't be of anything other than lack of interest xD

desolato said:
Okay, no offense in that.
But promise me one thing, please don't pick the Haruhi novels for your review.. while the anime is amusing, the writing is just horrible. If you could get your hands on the Welcome to the N.H.K. novel, go with that. Otherwise, try Ballad of a Shinigami or look through the catalogue of Tokyopop.

And trust me, reading fan translations of unlicensed light novels, won't do you or your review any good. (Baka Tsuki is off limits ;) )
I won't pick Haruhi, I promise you (Although I did enjoy the show :P). I'll try to get hold on NHK, seems like it would be pretty fun actually.

zharnotczar said:
I tend to agree with MisterSaito, but it appears as though your teacher doesn't care. I still suggest Candide, though.
I'm not really in the mood for any "real" books right now, but some other time :D
Thanks for suggesting it though, it might be interesting.
Apr 20, 2010 2:44 PM

Nov 2008
MisterSaito said:
in general, it's best to keep anime/manga/light novels/whatever separate from your schoolwork.

Also, this. We all know too well that this 'world' has its own quirks and things, so I'm not sure your teacher wouldn't raise an eyebrow or two after reading a review on let's say, crossdressing maids and/or lolis, just to say.

EDIT: Have you heard of the Spice and Wolf novel? It's a quite nice read, and the part about the travelling and different currencies involving trading might suit you some more? Just focus on that, and try not to mention the part where she's a naked wolf girl.. hehe.
desolatoApr 20, 2010 2:48 PM
Apr 20, 2010 2:45 PM

Oct 2009
desolato said:
MisterSaito said:
in general, it's best to keep anime/manga/light novels/whatever separate from your schoolwork.

Also, this. We all know too well that this 'world' has its own quirks and things, so I'm not sure your teacher wouldn't raise an eyebrow or two after reading a review on let's say, crossdressing maids and/or lolis, just to say.
I'm trying to find one as normal as possible xD
Apr 20, 2010 2:49 PM

Apr 2010
Azathoth said:
I won't pick Haruhi, I promise you (Although I did enjoy the show :P). I'll try to get hold on NHK, seems like it would be pretty fun actually.
I enjoyed Welcome to the NHK as an anime. It'll do fine for a book report as long as the light novel isn't much different.
Apr 20, 2010 2:56 PM

Oct 2009
zharnotczar said:
Azathoth said:
I enjoyed Welcome to the NHK as an anime. It'll do fine for a book report as long as the light novel isn't much different.
I don't think it's too different. And after all, it's normal enough to be able to show to a teacher :D
And I found Toradora as well, and that's relatively normal too, right?

Guess my search is over >_>
Thanks, the people who helped/tried to help me, I appreciate it :D
Apr 20, 2010 3:04 PM

Nov 2008
Azathoth said:
zharnotczar said:
Azathoth said:
I don't think it's too different. And after all, it's normal enough to be able to show to a teacher :D

Did you read my lil' piece on S&W? ;)
Toradora is definitely a regular teen story, but since it's fan translated.. is that allowed?
Apr 20, 2010 3:13 PM

Oct 2009
desolato said:
Azathoth said:
zharnotczar said:
Azathoth said:

Did you read my lil' piece on S&W? ;)
Toradora is definitely a regular teen story, but since it's fan translated.. is that allowed?
I didn't read it until just now, and seriously.. I just love that anime :3
But I didn't find it anywhere, so I kinda gave up.

Do you have a link? :D
Apr 20, 2010 5:40 PM
Oct 2009
Read "A Rose For Emily"

I liked my English book after that. xD
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.