Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 8, 2008 12:44 PM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I'm really curious to know what kind of plan Johan has for Schuwald, since it took him about 4 years to prepare it.
Btw, this needs more Anna :3
Oct 14, 2008 4:09 AM

Feb 2008
I think I get it. Schuwald's son will probably be murdered by Johan to further isolate him. Perhaps Johan is trying to inherit the money from Schuwald? In any case, time to watch the next episode to find out what Johan is really up to.
Dec 2, 2008 11:50 AM

Nov 2008
Episode 28 was really, really good. The rising suspense is getting to me, along with the pieces falling into place in Richard's investigation, along with Richard's increasing paranoia and brushes with death.

Richard is a cool dude. I hope he doesn't bite the dust. But HE KNOWS TOO MUCH.
Dec 26, 2008 12:15 PM

Jun 2008
I guess this is all to get more money (that 3 point hitler bit)...

This needs more Tenma and/or Anna.
Mar 10, 2009 8:14 AM

Oct 2008
Amazing chapter with great suspense!!! This show gets more and more better.
Aug 11, 2009 7:43 AM

Jul 2009
A really suspense-building episode ;o
Jan 18, 2010 11:13 PM

Jan 2009
<---- Wants to watch the next episode RIGHT NOW! But he can't! The suspense is killing me! Great episode with all the pieces falling into place.
Jan 29, 2010 10:26 AM

Sep 2009
Amazing, another ultimate episode from Monster. One thing I didn't like though. Everything was explained like in some Shounen anime like Naruto. I think they should just leave the clues and continue with the story, so it would make people think, not only listen.
Anyway, few episodes ago, I thought this detective was going to be just some kind of side character, completely irrelevant to the story. But I was wrong. He has an important role here. And it seems we will see him for a few episodes at least. His character development is truly amazing, like the rest of characters in Monster. He seems to be not just a regular detective. He is smart, has his own thoughts about life, but it also seems that guilt is locking away his intelligence. He shot the guy not because he was drunk, but because he wanted to. He was a serial murderer. "A true evil" as the detective said. He also explained that to his psychiatrist. However, it seems that he feels guild for killing a man. Not everyone can kill a human being even if he is evil. This leads me to a thought that he will hunt Johan now. But will he be able to kill Johan if he had a chance? That is the real question. Even though it is clear that such an insignificant character would not kill the main one, that is something to think about. Maybe he WILL have a chance, but will slip, remembering his past.
Now about Johan. He is truly after Mr. Schuwald. But I am 100% sure it is not money. Johan can make even more money himself. We know that from conversations in previous episodes. Mr. Schuwald's explanation of Johan's perfection in everything, including economics. At the villa, a story was told to Tenma, about a genius boy who founded a bank and made a huge success in his puberty. If Johan actually spent 4 years scheming something that includes one person, it must be something really big. Something that Johan cannot make with his own skills and abilities. It can be an item, that is needed for his mysterious master plan, information regarding either his past or World War II, maybe even revenge, but this seems unlikely for an emotionless genius like Johan. I didn't think it was some kind of experiment after the previous episode, but it seems it is possible now. It could be something really complicated like human integration into society, creating and eliminating emotions. The last one has a big potential when you think about it. It was mentioned before that Johan neglects humanity as a whole. Maybe he wants to change them all. Make humanity perfect? Rational and emotionless...
No sig :(
Mar 26, 2010 6:12 PM

Apr 2009
I agree that more Tenma/Anna is needed.
Jul 6, 2010 4:01 AM

Aug 2009
Truly an amazing episode, the end was great!

Nov 12, 2010 6:57 PM

Mar 2010
the detective should die now that he figured it out,
also he did a better job than that other detective

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Nov 25, 2010 7:53 AM

Oct 2010
The detective's probably going to get killed now :(
May 17, 2011 7:14 AM

Oct 2008
=O
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jun 17, 2011 12:56 PM

Nov 2008
why is johan using his "real" name right now since other times he would use a fake one??...the doctor, detective, and rich dudes son are all gonna die now...good episode
Dec 18, 2011 7:07 PM

Apr 2010
PnkRxPrncss said:
why is johan using his "real" name right now since other times he would use a fake one??

this is also something i've been wondering for quite some time. i'm almost certain there is an explanation for neglecting to use an alias, but this show has stumped me a few times before... so i've decided to stop predicting as of a few episodes ago.

Tenma is indirectly creating a following spanning across cities, believe it or not. meanwhile, Johann has a group attempting to place him at the top as their leader... which is supposedly also not by intent. i am completely baffled ^^
Feb 28, 2012 9:25 PM

Mar 2009
It's weird that Johan is using his real name.
Mar 14, 2012 11:09 AM

Mar 2010
interesting
Jun 1, 2012 5:25 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I got the shivers when the dr. who had a sceptical look on his face said Johan at the same time as the detective. The mastermind pulling the strings from beyond.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 12, 2012 11:32 AM

Oct 2010
this is quite a long ark, i think that is the right thing to call it, interesting indeed
Sep 20, 2012 1:46 PM

Nov 2009
Yeah a tad bit annoying that the doctor still isn't in it directly but an interesting ark nonetheless, although Johann is creeping me out.
Dec 18, 2012 12:09 AM

Feb 2012
Good episode and a lot of things got solved.

About Episode:

Definitely funny part of the episode was that when Richard was acting like Schuwald haha.

Also it seems like Richard blocked his thoughts right after that he had eliminate that boy. So he couldn't think but once he remembered previous cases he remembered again. Scary part was that when Richard was in that station and that hand came back of him :O

So these events are connected to one that old man told Tenma about rich millionaire who was bankrupted it all points Johan's plan and 4 years ago that's something to plan that long. So Johan is planning maybe to create world without emotions. Not sure though but it seems like it.

And maybe next episode Johan is going to take care of that doctor and Richard because obviously he had hired someone already to take care off Richard.
Jan 28, 2013 12:39 PM

Jan 2012
Well 28 episode so far and the plot is still interesting and exciting.

Mar 3, 2013 9:16 PM

Aug 2010
damn I havent been paying attention while watching, feels like im missing something good
Apr 26, 2013 11:57 AM

Apr 2013
At last someone revealed his true identity. Cant wait to see what happens in the next episode.
Jun 24, 2013 10:10 PM

Feb 2012
AlexSadist-sama said:

Yeah, that was my first thought.

I'm wondering if Johan legitimately made a mistake or if it's all part of his master plan.
Aug 19, 2013 12:31 AM
May 2012
I hope the detective doesn't die and why the hell do I feel so sleepy because of that I didn't understand some of the parts cause I was closing my eyes repeatedly.
Oct 2, 2013 11:16 PM

Jul 2009
excellent episode :D

the Detective and his counselor make a kickass team!!

it seems someone is trying to kill him(probably Johan)

Johan does know he's being watch that's for sure!

and wow those hallucination is really freaky as hell.

definitely can mind fuck you at anytime.

and wow so Dr Gillen(the classmate Tenma went to while he's on a run) is still alive!

can't believe his connected with this Counselor.

then again both of them are psychologist so it makes sense!!!

and wow Lunger should be ashamed himself that this new detective was able to uncover alot in a short of time.

then again it's probably how the cases fit together in the right time.

though it's kinda cheap he was able to uncover so much in just one day XD

so Johan did isolate Schuberg.

but for what? money to create his army?

that's one of the more logical reasons.

unless Schuberg knows something about Johan's past!!!

and this is why i love this show!! really makes you think in every corner!

next episode i fear the counselor will die :(

and maybe the new detective, and Tenma will arrive here and pick up the scattered evidences!

gonna be amazing for sure!!!!
Dec 14, 2013 12:56 AM

Sep 2011
Just got a lot more interesting with this episode. I liked it. (though I still miss Anna and Tenma) :(
Jan 7, 2014 4:10 PM

Mar 2013
The next episode is: "execution" 0_o
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Feb 2, 2014 12:24 PM

Jan 2014
Shits about to go down. FIGHT FOR YOUR DAUGHTER RICHARD

As of now, please try to refrain from looking at MAL. its a complete mess right now T-T
People of anime have whooped, roasted, beaten, and tamed my ass. I have learned my ways and will never speak that horrible word. But, believe me, MY DAY OF VENGEANCE SHALL COME(please dont take this seriously, just "trying" to be funny lol
Feb 9, 2014 5:45 AM

May 2013
I don't think that Johan wants money....sounds to cheap for him. But Richard knows to much, I'm mentally repairing myself for his death :(
''We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths. As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are. That's what death is, don't you think?'' - Uchiha Itachi
Feb 12, 2014 5:18 PM

Sep 2010
Being a genius, one would’ve thought Johan would’ve changed his name more often to spare himself the trouble...
"If you can eliminate all the other choices, the remaining choice, no matter how improbable, it is the answer."- Sherlock Holmes
Apr 28, 2014 8:24 PM

Dec 2012
With the way the therapist was acting, I thought he might have had a hand in this whole thing. When the therapist and detective (shame on me for not paying attention to names) came to the same conclusion about Johan, I got some serious chills all over my body. I can't help but feel like Johan knows about the therapist too and is toying with them bit by bit.

Speaking of toying, I wonder what experiment Johan is performing with Schubert.
May 19, 2014 10:45 PM

Apr 2012
damnnnn what a thrilling episode especially the end. They are both soo boned for knowing too much >_>

Jun 3, 2014 7:44 PM

Feb 2012
Veronin said:
I think I get it. Schuwald's son will probably be murdered by Johan to further isolate him. Perhaps Johan is trying to inherit the money from Schuwald? In any case, time to watch the next episode to find out what Johan is really up to.

i don't think so. johan had the perfect chance to kill karl (or let him stick with his foster parents), and use the rabbit foot he received to claim to be schuwald's real son.

this is getting really interesting. and the detectives near death experiences are getting to be really frequent.
Jun 13, 2014 10:53 PM

Jul 2011
Johann's been discovered. They're dead pretty soon.

I guess my comment a couple episodes back is invalid. Johann is just evil. :DD
Oct 4, 2014 9:50 PM

Jan 2013
Richard is getting himself in too deep... :(
Oct 9, 2014 5:54 PM

Nov 2011
Hakuromatsu said:
AlexSadist-sama said:

Yeah, that was my first thought.

I'm wondering if Johan legitimately made a mistake or if it's all part of his master plan.

I think he uses different names for different purposes. "Johan" is his public alias, such as when he enrolls in a university. He can't make his other aliases too obvious by using them in public documents. Thus, he doesn't really have a choice about it unless he were to change his entire legal history.

This episode tied things together well. Richard has discovered Johan's crimes, and mention's this to his psychologist. The psychologist knows Dr. Gillen (and by proxy Jurgens), who has dealt with Tenma and knows Tenma is innocent (and also knows that Johan is real). Given that Richard and Johan are in Munich, where Tenma is currently traveling to, the stage is set for a plot-significant confrontation between the two upon Tenma's arrival.

I do wonder about Johan's goal with Shubert, though. He's spent four years isolating him; it does appear to be a twisted experiment, though I'm wondering if there's something Shubert has that Johan needs specifically. Hm.
Nov 1, 2014 7:33 PM

Aug 2008
Nooo, they are both so doomed. Finally someone other than Tenma who made all the connections...
Dec 22, 2014 4:10 PM

Aug 2014
It's just like in the case of General Wolfe, Johan killed every single friend Schuwald had and he is now drinking tea with him. Chilling. I do feel curious about what Tenma's doing now?

Also I think either Karl, Richard or Schuwald will die soon, but I'm only guessing because the next chapter's name is Execution :P
Jan 11, 2015 4:22 PM

Oct 2014
Kayro said:
Btw, this needs more Anna :3

Indeed
Feb 13, 2015 4:55 PM

Mar 2013
Oops, They have learned too much thing. And probably they will all die now. But i wonder too that why Johann uses own name ? He should use a fake name.
Mar 13, 2015 9:46 PM

Feb 2012
hmm its really interesting how 3 officers who just ran the cases & homicides found out that "Johan" is indeed a seperate person and NOT tenma, yet LUnge who worked on the cases for over 9 years couldn't dissect those evidence somehow manages in his mind that Tenma is Johan lol Man does he hate Tenma
Mar 23, 2015 10:53 AM

Nov 2014
Best episode so far for me.

This is also what I was complaining about on the other few threads that I voiced my opinion on the show and why it was a hit and miss for me, especially for things that seem to be crucial for the story and are not being mentioned.

In case you haven't read it, I was talking about connecting the dots between the murders/serial killings and the person's involved, i.e. the ones who had their closest killed off by Johan. I was saying that the audience, as well the police has all the information it has to narrow the suspects, and only in one, or, two cases can Tenma be suspected of the murders; those are, Eva's father, which he could gain a position, and, the gardener, in which, Lunge found Tenmas' tie, making him a prime suspect.
However, the other murders are totally unrelated to Tenma and he can't be a prime suspect for those, because, he had no connection to the Liebert family, as well as General Wolf.
Also, the amount of forensic evidence left by Johan is too high to not make a pattern.

So, this episode delivered what I was looking for from the police and the informations they have about the few possible suspects.
I like the detective work that has been done, and, finally the serial killer is known, but, I still don't understand why Dr. Gillen hadn't turned over the information to the police about who the killer is, or, maybe he has, but we're not shown.

I don't know what Johan's ulterior motive is, so, I can't comment on it, as it lies shrouded in mystery, or maybe I'm not looking hard enough.
Mar 29, 2015 7:24 AM
Nov 2014
Richard getting too deep into this, might be a big trouble for him.

Ep was pretty good.
Jun 22, 2015 4:45 PM

Apr 2015
Swiggity Swooty, Johan comin for dat booty.

You better watch out Mr. Richard. Dat butt gone get got.
Jul 15, 2015 8:44 AM

Jul 2014
5/5
Aug 5, 2015 6:18 AM

Nov 2011
This is the first time since the early episodes that Monster has really drawn me in, loving Richard btw.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Aug 30, 2015 3:30 AM

Dec 2013
Dat ending gave me chills. Took him too long to remember Johan's name...
Aug 30, 2015 2:40 PM

Dec 2013
I miss Anna :(
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

624 by Anamo7 »»
Yesterday, 4:19 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 71 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kayro - Apr 25, 2008

253 by MeCuMint »»
Apr 25, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

114 by egeD19 »»
Apr 17, 10:03 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 11, 2008

134 by Ajanokoyna »»
Apr 13, 7:25 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 55 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Apr 15, 2008

70 by Dekuforce5 »»
Apr 13, 3:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.