Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 19, 2021 5:13 PM

Nov 2018
Boneless Gurren Laggan
Oct 23, 2021 3:39 AM
Jul 2014
Some comments here are beyond ridicolous.

1) "Normies can see the story construction thus it's bad" may be the worst comment I have ever seen when it comes to this point.

It's a 12-long original series based on no source material, doing its twist on a somewhat known formula.
It *MUST* tell its setting and set the correct expectations in the first episode. In such a saturated market as anime, short originals don't have the freedom to take it slow, they get ignored and go under-watched simply because people didn't get caught immediatly.

Yeah, it's somewhat and reduces what you can do in your introduction, but it's still a fact.
You gotta get the attention ASAP and introduce your strong points even more ASAP, otherwise you risk losing potential audience.

2) Wow, a child genius protagonist. What an unbereable and cringe idea!
It's not like the entire fucking medium of anime and more in general YA fiction is filled by this stuff. Absolutely no, it's a new and absolutely idiotic concept, never seen before in some highly beloved stories.

We haven't had early teens piloting mecha and kids saving the world since like the 70s.
Fucking Gundam original protagonist was 15. Y'all have no idea what the fuck you are speaking about.

It's even more stupid if you accept teen power-fantasy protagonists but can't wrap your head around a younger kid being in a similar role. To any adult the idea of a goddamn teenager doing the same stuff is ridicolous anyway.

It's not about "It's anime so no logic", it's about understanding the tone and setting the author of a story is going for.

Nobody sane was surprised to learn that Edward and Alphones were 15/14 in FMA, because the story clearly set a tone where despite their young age they went through enough stuff to be considered essentially adult characters.
Lelouch in CG is the Napoleon of his time and it's ridicolously over-the-top in all he can do, but the series is clear baout it from the start, it's an underdog story in all sense, including age and maturity within society.
Have any of you kids watched a Ghibli Movie? Using kids protagonists is a classic when the theme is that of innocence and loss of it, which this finale made pretty clear it's part of it, albeit with its own twist.

Also one of the geniuses above is giving 1 and 2 to NGE and EoE respectively.
Are you gonna take the opinion of such a clearly biased individual?
Pathetic.
Oct 31, 2021 5:56 PM

Mar 2018
wowowowowow the nusic and character designs giving me big great pretender vibes and the animation is perfect its just a shame that the kiju are cgi but this first episode especially the last 5 minutes have got me hooked already
Oct 31, 2021 11:23 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Gurren Lagann, Deca-Dence, and Made in Abyss all rolled into one, with as much heart as all of them combined. I'm sure anyone who just randomly decided to watch this first episode to check it out, are glad that they did not miss out on this.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Nov 9, 2021 1:05 AM

Nov 2012
It kinda had me but made me drop it since I dont like the robot/mecha/machine stuff too much, but since I saw Lynda I felt she was about to die, then the end came and Im here ready to finish this show, hope it turns out good, pretty fup

My Candies:

Nov 27, 2021 8:09 AM

Oct 2019
I am generally bored of mecha anime because as a genre I find it a bit too old-fashioned. I was not bored at all with the first episode of Sakugan though. Memenpu is a little treasure on top of being a genius. Gagumber is not a perfect dad but he is not a bad one either. This anime brought to mind Deca-Dence, in style, characters and environment - with a touch of Made in Abyss at the end (when it got suddenly very dark).

I suspect that just like Deca-Dence held a big secret there is also a big secret behind Sakugan's world. I also suspect that the sudden appearance of the kaiju was not random but is directly connected to what Memenpu discovered. I think it was a hit job on her to shut her up and destroy her map.

We saw a scene where a huge server farm discovered that Memenu was using a 3-D printer to print something (that 3-D map to the surface). The server farm is probably controlled by whomever or whatever has established that underground world (the Colonies and the Labyrinth between them).
Dec 19, 2021 2:11 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Hmm they already settled all the dreams and world-build, but also how this universe can be tough with the Kaiju attack and Lynda & her father's death :S interesting.
Dec 25, 2021 1:06 AM

Jan 2015
Poor energetic Memenpu learn about how reality can be that bitter. Even after all that plan with Lynda, she just lost most of her energy and sanity.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Feb 9, 2022 1:21 AM
Oct 2019
well, those last couple minutes hit different

7/10 start

curious about this tower, urorop, and this world in general
Feb 23, 2022 4:24 AM

Jul 2015
Setting certainly reminds me of Deca-dence, Gurren Lagann and Dimension W. The father-daughter duo Gagumber and Memenpu looks interesting pair, rip to Walsh and Lynda though

May 1, 2022 12:27 PM

Feb 2018
First episode was pretty wholesome until the ending came.. RIP Lynda & Walsh, that Kaiju attack came out of nowhere :/. So now Memenpu & Gagu begin their journey!
Jul 9, 2022 3:11 AM

Oct 2013
Gosh I hate Mem, why is everyone encouraging a 9 years old to go on adventure against monsters except her father which is made like he's the overprotecting moron of the city ? why is everyone dumb and not educating her about danger n stuff ?
+ I've always hated genius characters who knows how to do EVERYTHING from engineering to arts, could have made her 12-13 years old, still a kid but hitting puberty & shit to explain her behavior

Riko from Made in Abyss deserve way more to go an adventure than this stupid kid who is a genius because they said so, at least shew really knows the abyss, the malediction and the monsters in it, here you feel like she's a genius but she doesnn't know jack shit
Deca dence is way better too.

I was already bored before the first attack but then... "forget everything we said in the episode you're still a kid so you need your father to protect you, and you father, forgot about letting her gain independence she still needs you too, stay with her to protect her, also both of you stay behind so we can die and you got to live"
Thanks I hate it

The only reason the death as the end is "shocking" is because they were doing a comedy running scene and a first battle with some kind of rap song and then they just cut with no music to a separation scene with only purpose to kill off the characters
TitadouJul 9, 2022 3:37 AM
Jan 15, 2023 9:27 AM

Oct 2013
I feel like maybe it isn't for me. Also, just wanted to state, I liked the sub better than dub. Anyway, it seems like a nice start, but I almost feel they kinda should explain the world better and give me more of a reason to get invested. Like, why should I care if that girl wants to see this mysterious place? I didn't get what a Marker actually was or the big deal about them until they started battle. Which is kinda fine, but I feel it could've been explained better out of the gate. And this whole festival thing kinda comes out of nowhere with no rhyme or reason to me. Almost feels like it was inserted, just to be like one of those generic scenarios where it's like, ""Look how happy things are! It would be a shame if something bad suddenly happened." And then the bad happens".

It looks well animated, and I like the artstyle, acting abit and characters seem okay, but doesn't feel like enough for me, on the story and characters to fully allure me to watch more.

Also the part about letting her out on her own. Maybe, okay, she's competent enough to live on here own, after being born a genius and becoming an early University graduate. But I feel it's kinda stupid that practically no one, but the father, is concerned about letting the kid tunnel through potential kaiju invested terrain to who knows where. How experienced is she with fighting kaiju? Took three mechs to 'try' to take down one. And how she gunna survive on her own if it becomes a long trek and she needs to eat something? Does she know what's safe to eat or how to cook? What if her tech breaks down?
EZSultenJan 15, 2023 3:32 PM
"We brawlers are sustained by willpower! Even when mocked as reckless and crazy!"
Oct 27, 2023 8:09 AM
Des31

Oct 2020
Wha? Why? I'm really shocked when Linda just dead like that f*CK damned starting to like her character but then disappear instantly
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sakugan Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2021

67 by RioAl »»
Nov 3, 2023 11:27 PM

» Will there be a second season?

LovelyTekki - Dec 27, 2021

5 by Ionliosite2 »»
Mar 13, 2023 12:36 PM

» yay or nay

Wlad- - Feb 8, 2019

33 by PulpoPol »»
Oct 18, 2022 7:50 PM

Poll: » Sakugan Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2021

39 by Titadou »»
Jul 14, 2022 3:57 AM

Poll: » Sakugan Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 18, 2021

42 by Titadou »»
Jul 12, 2022 3:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.