Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Case Study of Vanitas
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 9, 2021 8:28 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Welp, it looks like Vanitas and Noe will have to team up to deal with their vampire problem.

I thought this episode was more lighthearted than the first one with even more cast appearing. Luca and Jeanne also got involved that made the case more complicated. Another interesting episode imo. Vanitas needs to keep his head high if he wants to deal with these problems. He still has the most entertaining presence in the show imo.
Jul 9, 2021 8:28 AM

Jul 2017
Well, the last episode's post-credit fiasco has gotten both Noe and Vanitas into custody...though their chemistry relationship as funny as it is, still has a ways to go. Good thing that the age of humans against vampires is over, so their time cut in jail through Count Parks Orlok, the Lord of Altus.

The City of Flowers, Paris, and Bones' animation makes it looks gorgeous. Though the vampires who are against Vanitas and his Curse Book, and Noe witnessed it all before and couldn't shake his past away, so he took the case as his own to prove that Vanitas did save Amelia from being a curse-bearer by using the grimoire. Fellow "Baldy" partner Dante and fellow vampireJohann make their first appearances and it's just as good.

Lord Ruthven's Bourreau master-chevalier vampires Luca and Jeanne come to stop Vanitas into giving the Book, and both make their intentions very clear to destroy the grimoire to save someone being a curse-bearer from the curse of the Vampire of the Blue Moon. A crimson gauntlet is not good news to both Noe and Vanitas against the "Hellfire Witch" Jeanne who wields "Carpe Diem", and it'd be wise not to lose their lives easily over this farce.

It's unstoppable for any vampire who wishes to acquire The Book of Vanitas to stop people from being curse-bearers, but both Vanitas and Noe would do well to thwart off that conception.

Another great episode with a bit of the fast pacing in good accordance.
KANLen09Jul 9, 2021 10:36 AM
Jul 9, 2021 9:12 AM

Jul 2020
Really loving the little flashbacks, fleshing out the characters a lot honestly especially considering we're only two episodes in. Anyone think that noe's speech reminded you of monogatari with how he was using ridiculous poses to say something nonsensical? Just me? xD

The animations on this one is crispy, the scenery, the characters eye's, and the fight sequences are a sight to behold, props to that honestly haven't been blown away by something relatively simple like this since vivy's lol.

The entire noe/vanitas chemistry is jokes, both are idiots that want the same thing and keep butting heads about it but it's funny as hell. Those other two vampries seems quite the loyal pair, nearly cleaving vanitas' head off for being impertinent lol. I don't really know why the representative wanted alice dead through public executions other than to appease the public, seems a tad violent but I digress.

The hell fire witch was interesting, seems she's a shota-con? Or just the run of the mill bashful murderer that you see everywhere? Jokes aside, she's bloody op, I though the coffin contained the kids brother not a gauntlet and that fire she spewed was beautifully destructive to say the least.

Honestly one of the better starts to this season, I'm defo sticking around on this one!
LeviathanHWDJul 9, 2021 9:28 AM
Check out my channel @Criticiza on Youtube to watch my vids ;)

Jul 9, 2021 9:18 AM

Jan 2021
How honest, he just doesn't like him hahah
Ahh, Paris, the city of love, beautiful...

Noe when he gets angry, he gets really angry, how cute 😂
Carpe Diem, huh, this is getting very interesting. I wonder if they'll manage to beat her 0.0

Really good episode, apart from that, did you listen to this ED? Madness
Jul 9, 2021 9:34 AM

Oct 2016
I was pretty skeptical but Minase Inori's done an insane job with Jeanne here. I could hardly tell it was her voice even knowing the cast beforehand.
Jul 9, 2021 9:41 AM

Jun 2019
Another amazing episode this week. I love this duo so much. Seeing them together makes me smile for some reason.

Vanitas is so cool and Noe blushing every time makes him look so cute. LOL. Other than that, more of the cast appeared in the show and Bones is literally killing with this animation. Loving it so far.
Jul 9, 2021 9:50 AM

Jan 2014
The chemistry of these two is just pure great. Did Noe really just chuck him like that? LMAO.
Jul 9, 2021 9:52 AM

May 2021
I definitely liked this episode better than the first one, it had a more vampir-ish feeling.

Anyway, looking forward to the fight next week!
Jul 9, 2021 9:58 AM
Feb 2021
Amazing episode, I can't wait for next episode and how the fight is "resolved".
Jul 9, 2021 10:03 AM

Mar 2017
The action scenes in this anime aren't just awesome but they're so pretty too... which is an adjective I never thought I'd use for a fight scene!

Vanitas continues to be hilarious but it makes things 10x funnier that Noe thinks he's normal compared to Vanitas but every now and then his own wacky personality comes through, like when he so boldly declared his realisation; that he's so hesitant to work with Vanitas simply because he doesn't like him haha
Jul 9, 2021 10:09 AM
Mar 2016
Wasn't enjoying the first episode but this one gives me hope and even exceeds my expectation. Although it's still too soon to say this, I would say the show give me AOTS vibes. Hopefully I'm not wrong.

Also, the pacing seems a little bit fast in this episode. While I don't hate it I'm just wondering if they cut some stuff from the manga. However, I've seen no manga readers complaining so far so I guess it's all good
OttoLannister550Jul 9, 2021 10:17 AM
Jul 9, 2021 10:11 AM

Oct 2019
Another great episode! Glad they only adapted 2 chapters instead of 3 like I thought they would, considering that the 3rd episode’s name was the same as chapter 5. Great to see Jeanne, she’s still very hot. 5/5!
Pandora Hearts is the best manga ever made and deserves an anime reboot
Jul 9, 2021 10:12 AM

Apr 2017
I just love Noe and Vanitas duo so much!!!
I cannot wait for the next episodes and to see more of them!!
Jul 9, 2021 10:15 AM

Jun 2021
Great animation, good acting. Really digging Bones' animation style in this show

Plot is starting to get interesting. Definitely will keep watching.
Jul 9, 2021 10:18 AM
Jul 2020
This is a very girly anime.
Made for female audience
Jul 9, 2021 10:19 AM

Oct 2016
SebCyrSC2000 said:
Another great episode! Glad they only adapted 2 chapters instead of 3 like I thought they would, considering that the 3rd episode’s name was the same as chapter 5. Great to see Jeanne, she’s still very hot. 5/5!

About that, I went back to check the chapters and it seems that the production has little choice but to stick to 2 chapters per episode. Chapter 22 is the ideal place to stop right as the you-know-which arc begins, and it makes absolutely no sense to eat into later chapters just to stop at a bothersome cliffhanger and potentially mess up the second cour as well. It's also pretty difficult to stop mid-chapter since Mochizuki packs everything so tightly, and the most this anime could change is the pacing or move a few small flashbacks around, which is not nearly enough to make for additional episodes. Taking the one-chapter first episode into consideration, this whittles everything down to less than 2 chapters per episode for the minimal 11-episode cour, or 12 if they somehow piece together an additional half an episode length's worth of content.
Jul 9, 2021 10:20 AM

Jul 2017
I'm so happy to see Jeanne animated. Always loved her in the manga, so seeing her in anime form is surreal considering the amount of time I've spent with the manga. Episode was good too, better than the premiere for sure with the adaptation and timing of humor and serious stuff. Animation continues to deliver nicely too.
Jul 9, 2021 10:21 AM

Apr 2017
Erotaku_ said:
Great animation, good acting. Really digging Bones' animation style in this show

Plot is starting to get interesting. Definitely will keep watching.

It will definitely get better and better from here and in the next episode some interesting things are going to happen!!!
Jul 9, 2021 10:28 AM

Nov 2015
SirTristam said:
This is a very girly anime.
Made for female audience

No it's based off a shounen manga so it's made for the male audience ♂️
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Jul 9, 2021 10:29 AM
Mar 2021
Another good episode and we already know a bit about Noe's past and we meet Jeanne and Luca! And the comedy, I really love comedy in Vanitas no Carte of course when Noe throw Vanitas is top tier but my favorite is when Vanitas shamelessly prostrate to Dante lol

And as someone who really love hint-hint given by author in facial expression and conversation, I am sad that they put the scene when Luca said maybe Vanitas is controlled by The Book of Vanitas. This is hint about one of the things he really hate. Vanitas hide many things but his facial expression is really expressive, so facial expression is really important to understand his character.

As manga reader, when Noe said what Vanitas did is a righteous act and how Vanitas look like after hear that, it makes me really sad. I think they can't really convey the complexity of his emotion from manga but it's not bad. Suddenly I remember all the things he experienced and feel in manga this scene even make me cry lol
Alice0006Jul 11, 2021 4:44 PM
Jul 9, 2021 10:36 AM
Mar 2019
There's really no specific audience for this one, despite it being tagged under the Shounen genre and created by a female author.

It's the kind of thing that can be enjoyed by both genders.

Just because the mangaka is female and enjoys drawing pretty boys doesn't mean it's fuji bait or anything. As a manga reader, I can assure you. They're straight. They've just got a good friendship going on.
Oh, and, yeah. It's probably good to mention that Jun Mochizuki is known for focusing upon themes such as friendship and comradery.

There are literally five-thousand cute girls doing cute things shows in the market and we don't hear a peep about them.

If you can put your testosterone aside and just give this one a shot without making half-brained judgements, I do hope you'll find it enjoyable.
Jul 9, 2021 11:22 AM
May 2021
The cat deadass slapped him lol
Jul 9, 2021 11:29 AM

Sep 2019
The animation was really good at the end. That girl was very cute when she blushed, she should blush more often.
Jul 9, 2021 11:51 AM

Aug 2020
Ladies and gentlemen , feast your eyes on .....PERFECTION!!

Itamura just oozing his shaft energy this ep . if i had not known which studio this made at beforehand , i most definitely would have said this was made at shaft . even the action scenes were boarded the same way hahahaha.

Jeanne has potentialy saved this anime from being dropped .
Jul 9, 2021 12:09 PM

Mar 2016
I remember when I was reading the manga I wasn't really into the settings, story, or characters, but the nature of the anime medium is making me enjoy the immersive nature of the adaptation so far. I really like the dynamics between Vanitas and Noe already, and there's quite a bit of setup already with the mentioning of the bourreau, executioner vampires sent to kill their very own kin. And damn the animation really looked clean with that big ass armament than our newly introduced character Jeanne was wearing....holy shit it makes Issei's Dragon Install (or was it Boosted Gear) looks like a children's toy lmfao.
RyuseishunJul 9, 2021 12:18 PM
Jul 9, 2021 12:13 PM

Jul 2013
So glad that this episode is better than the last one! The animation seems better in quality in more scenes and the directing for this episode was fabulous with all the short scenes showing details rather than a one continuous shot. Animated Paris was truly beautiful!

If my ears are not playing tricks with me, the boy from the flashback (I'll refrain from spoiling) has the same voice actor as Yoh from Shaman King that I just watched before this so this certainly confused my brain lol. Regarding him, I loved the flashbacks and I love how they were showed with the sound of a rapid heartbeat in the background. That detail certainly hints at something very subtly.

The pacing was great, if they tried to put more content it would have been too fast so everything is going smoothly so far. Hopefully we get more characters present in the opening. I don't know why is my brain forcing this.

And now, Jeanne and Luca! I love her character and I am so glad we are finally seeing her on screen. Her soundtrack is amazing, just as I though when I saw her PV. Yuki Kajiura is really killing it so far, I can't wait for the official soundtrack to be released.

I have to mentally prepare for Vanitas being an asshole next episode (more than usual).
Noir… It is the name of an ancient fate. Two sisters who watch anime. The peace of the newly born, their black hands protect.
Jul 9, 2021 12:33 PM
Nov 2019
Great episode! Waiting for more next week i hope to see more anime that have this kind of time frame (period) and adding the fact that it has some seteampunk(clock work/gear) man i love this anime been a while since i've seem a anime like this.
Jul 9, 2021 12:34 PM
Jul 2018
Really good! Not as good as ep 1 tho cuz ep 1 introduced so many cool things like the steampunk Paris setting, the beautiful character designs, the interesting character of vanitas, and the amazing OP and ED. But this ep had a cool fight scene and we got to see more of steampunk Paris and also more about the lore of the vanitas no carte world and more about noé’s past. So I voted that I liked it. I wouldn’t say I loved it tho. Probably a 7 rated show at this point but if it becomes super hype I would bump it up to an 8.
Jul 9, 2021 12:35 PM

Jul 2013
The animation and colors are so pretty. I loved the scene when Noé and Vanitas are coming out of prison and into the streets, and there's a million flowers flowing in the air.

LOL @ Murr slapping Noé.

Introduction to several more characters this episode. Jeanne and her gauntlet is sickk. So, "Baldy" is part of an information network. I'm probably wrong, but Johann gives me sus vibes.
Jul 9, 2021 1:00 PM

Sep 2015
Seeing Jeanne in action was fun, and I think they handled the humour better this time around (at least, according to my own tastes). Vanitas became a punching bag!

What I look forward to the most though, is the reactions to the next episode.
Jul 9, 2021 1:04 PM

May 2021
The style of this anime is amazing, not really too much into the whole world yet, but I will give it time to develop. Murr is the mvp ngl

Jul 9, 2021 1:18 PM

Feb 2019
At different points in this episode, I have been getting Monogatari vibes.
The line below is True.
The line above is False.
Jul 9, 2021 1:53 PM

Sep 2015
Hesmiyu said:
At different points in this episode, I have been getting Monogatari vibes.

It's the same director for both shows, so that's most likely why :)
Jul 9, 2021 2:03 PM

Apr 2016
It was another amazing episode! I loved how they animated the flashbacks scenes. I wasn't so confident about Inori Minase as Jeanne, but she was perfect. The fire scene was astonishing.
Jul 9, 2021 2:04 PM

Apr 2020
This was an awesome ep. I’m loving the adaptation so far. This show has a perfect balance between comedy and seriousness. Can’t wait for the next ep already!
I was skeptical of the first episode, but, I can easily say that it is the best summer anime after watching this episode
Jul 9, 2021 2:17 PM

Jan 2021
I loved the chase music, keeping it somewhat classical. Bones have done great in setting a mood for the series.
Jul 9, 2021 3:38 PM

Jun 2014
These first 2 episodes have been really good so far. Jeanne looks to be quite the opponent so far so I'm looking forward to seeing how Vanitas plans to defeat her.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jul 9, 2021 4:28 PM

Aug 2020
Kinda chaotic and hilarious Vanitas and Noé tandem.

So many new faces introduced today and is getting more interesting.

Jul 9, 2021 4:43 PM

Apr 2010
I love manga so how can I not love every second of this anime?

But I am still waiting for more Vanitas x Jeanne scenes :)
Manga readers already know what to look for!
Forever hold this heart that I will give to you
Forever I will live for you
Jul 9, 2021 5:10 PM
Apr 2021
the comedy feels pretty hit or miss
but the plot remains consistently interesting

also a s2 has already been announced by the looks of it
Jul 9, 2021 5:17 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
Jeanne was awesome in this episode! *o* And she is voiced by my favorite VA too, Inorin! Perfection!! I couldn't be anymore happier and satisfied with this... ;_;
Jul 9, 2021 5:44 PM

Nov 2013
where are the dude and girl after Jeanne attacked them?
Jul 9, 2021 6:16 PM

Apr 2015
Great episode again!

Vanitas and Noe's dynamic is great, they go so well together. Noe's impressive kick to get his hands on the book again was a great moment. Seems he has lost someone by the curse as well.

I like Jeanne! That blush was just too fucking adorable and somewhere I am hoping that she will be a permanent member of the team soon. Also great to see she is voiced by Inori Minase!

Animation and scenery again do be looking great while Yuki Kaijura's soundtrack again doing it's job like it should.
Jul 9, 2021 6:40 PM
Jul 2018
this episode suspended a lot of how great the derition was in a matter of events I didn't expect there to be a mystery about the vanitas book.
Jul 9, 2021 6:43 PM

Nov 2011
Fantastic episode. I am curious to see more of Jeanne...she's pretty bad ass!

Also the Music was unbelievable.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Jul 9, 2021 7:09 PM

Jun 2013
Very nice episode! Think this is going to end up being a very good series!
Jul 9, 2021 7:21 PM

Apr 2020
"Why are we in the jail?"
"Good question, Noe".

The city of flowers scenery looks fabulous. How did Vanitas survive so many tosses and punches from Noe in this episode? Is that the true power acquired from the Vampire of The Blue Moon? Incredible resistance?
Jul 9, 2021 7:27 PM

Jun 2019
Hm. The action looks good. The conflicts feel contrived. So none of the vampires have heard of Vanitas saving the cursed vampires? Hell, the one girl literally saw him subduing a cursed vampire but still didn’t believe him? Not the biggest fan of these main character archetypes tbh. It gets obnoxious and tries to make the character writing seem more clever than it actually is.
Jul 9, 2021 7:48 PM

Dec 2019
Criticiza said:
Really loving the little flashbacks, fleshing out the characters a lot honestly especially considering we're only two episodes in. Anyone think that noe's speech reminded you of monogatari with how he was using ridiculous poses to say something nonsensical? Just me? xD

The animations on this one is crispy, the scenery, the characters eye's, and the fight sequences are a sight to behold, props to that honestly haven't been blown away by something relatively simple like this since vivy's lol.

The entire noe/vanitas chemistry is jokes, both are idiots that want the same thing and keep butting heads about it but it's funny as hell. Those other two vampries seems quite the loyal pair, nearly cleaving vanitas' head off for being impertinent lol. I don't really know why the representative wanted alice dead through public executions other than to appease the public, seems a tad violent but I digress.

The hell fire witch was interesting, seems she's a shota-con? Or just the run of the mill bashful murderer that you see everywhere? Jokes aside, she's bloody op, I though the coffin contained the kids brother not a gauntlet and that fire she spewed was beautifully destructive to say the least.

Honestly one of the better starts to this season, I'm defo sticking around on this one!
Yeah actually, the director worked on Monogatari and you can definitely see the influence on this anime. Stuff like composition, character acting and harsh cel- shading is clearly inspired from Monogatari.

Overall a pretty solid episodes. I wasn't that impressed by the story, but I love Vanitas and Noe's dynamic. Reminds me a lot of Dazai x Atsushi from Bungou Stray Dogs, except here Noe has much more character than Atsushi. One thing I can say though is the directing was absolutely fantastic. I loved the stylized action and the color palettes. The quick cuts during dialogue as well were super reminiscent of Monogatari.

I honestly wasn't really a fan of the comedy though. It felt weird combined with the style of directing.

Looking forward to next episode.
Jul 9, 2021 7:58 PM

Jan 2021
Great ep, really like the comedy of this show
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2021

126 by nikki05 »»
Apr 15, 10:30 AM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2021

242 by Sasutaschi »»
Apr 6, 4:48 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 23, 2021

158 by wallus81 »»
Mar 25, 7:29 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Carte Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2021

350 by wallus81 »»
Mar 18, 4:24 PM

» The Romance in this story... sucks. ( 1 2 )

AjiX101 - Jan 10, 2022

53 by tragedydesu »»
Mar 8, 9:52 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.