Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Case Study of Vanitas
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jul 3, 2021 3:54 AM

Jan 2018
234Mannan said:
Thorf said:
nah its gay lol
is what it is
Gay LOOOOL its not bro and u are judging it by the first 4 chapters..I cant believe how audacious you are
it is what it is fam
Jul 3, 2021 4:04 AM

Mar 2020
Thorf said:
234Mannan said:
Gay LOOOOL its not bro and u are judging it by the first 4 chapters..I cant believe how audacious you are
it is what it is fam
Imagine thinking your opinion is actaully legit against canon resorces. And It still doesnt change the fact that you are judging the stroy without even touching the surface...Its a fact that its not a BL and as u said it is what it is and atleast gain enough knowledge about the story before even judging it LOL
Jul 3, 2021 4:06 AM

Mar 2020
LeonhartAugust said:
Thorf said:
Skipping this because pandora hearts was so bad it's one of the only manga I ever dropped. Also don't like gay bait.

It has a much better ending than that of AoT XD
Pandora hearts ending was basically perfect.
234MannanJul 3, 2021 4:10 AM
Jul 3, 2021 4:08 AM
Feb 2021
It was a good first episode, the OP is a banger!
Jul 3, 2021 4:08 AM

Nov 2019
234Mannan said:
Imagine thinking your opinion is actaully legit against canon resorces. And It still doesnt change the fact that you are judging the stroy without even touching the surface...Its a fact that its not a BL and as u said it is what it is and atleast gain enough knowledge about the story before even judging it LOL

Look, he's clearly trying to get some attention here. And if he's serious, he really got some issues and is insecure to the point that he is finding gay everywhere. Unless you are his personal psychiatrist, just ignore him and move on.

This whole thread is painful...
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Jul 3, 2021 4:11 AM

Mar 2020
Laplace_kun said:
234Mannan said:

Look, he's clearly trying to get some attention here. And if he's serious, he really got some issues and is insecure to the point that he is finding gay everywhere. Unless you are his personal psychiatrist, just ignore him and move on.

This whole thread is painful...
Well You are right thanks for getting me back to my senses.
Jul 3, 2021 4:14 AM
Sep 2019
Varris said:
Kazzann said:
Oh god the comedy…what is with female mangaka and god awful Chibi comedy?
That was 95% the studio unfortunately, the director did Noragami too I believe
Ah makes sense, he didn’t do Noragami btw, he did Monogatari series (other than Bake) and that had tons of this type of comedy too
Jul 3, 2021 4:21 AM

Oct 2016
Kazzann said:
Varris said:
Ah makes sense, he didn’t do Noragami btw, he did Monogatari series (other than Bake) and that had tons of this type of comedy too

Bones specializes in transitions to chibi humor in the middle of more serious plot (e.g. FMAB, Bungou Stray Dogs), but it'd be inaccurate to say that chibis weren't in the original manga. In fact, I suspect these moments contribute heavily to their decisions with voice actors. Hanae Natsuki, for instance, doesn't do these dramatic ikemen characters often, and you could say the same for Inase Minori's character, but they do have relatively stronger track records with "goofy" characters.

I personally like them (especially because as a manga reader I can make the claim that they're important to the characterization), but I concede they are not exactly the mode of humor particularly in fashion right now.
Germs_N_SpicesJul 3, 2021 4:25 AM
Jul 3, 2021 4:49 AM

Jun 2013
Nice art style and the story is interesting
Jul 3, 2021 5:49 AM

Oct 2017
234Mannan said:

Its a minor spoiler(Like really minor infact) and even then it wasnt really explained and the readers were expected to interpret it

Hmm, I just assumed he had super strength and invulnerability or something so hitting concrete from that fall didn't hurt him and thus he shielded Vanitas. But your explanation makes it so much more interesting! It sounds like in the lore of this story, vampires aren't merely just stronger and faster than humans (as is usually the case), but have other abilities too.

I must confess, though, I don't understand what's meant by "world formula" and "the very essence of their world". But I understand enough -- Noé essentially has abilities related to geokinesis and gravity manipulation. That's pretty cool. :D
Jul 3, 2021 6:38 AM
Dec 2015
Kazzann said:
Varris said:
Ah gotcha, I remember this shares someone with Noragami and it really shows
Jul 3, 2021 6:42 AM
Dec 2018
Ok, I'm hooked with one. The premise is interesting I already liked the mc and the animation is pretty good and the ost. The OP and ED are amazing.
Jul 3, 2021 6:45 AM

Sep 2020
Great start! I genuinely liked the steampunk Paris setting. The ost and animation were amazing too. I don't really have any good experience with vampire anime but this one is interesting. I might end up reading the manga while waiting for the next episode (^^)
Jul 3, 2021 6:53 AM

Nov 2014
Can I just say I am goddamn impressed? The cast, the art, the choreography, the studio behind this (Bones) and freaking Yuki Kajiura as the composer??? Man, I already read the manga, but this is just amazing, can't wait to see of the anime ~
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 3, 2021 7:01 AM

Nov 2014
Thorf said:
234Mannan said:
it is what it is fam
But...both of Vanitas and Noé have canon female love interests -_- Yes, sometimes, it can come off as "fanservice" for the female cast, but Vanitas no Carte ain't yaoi and never will be. The only way for this to be yaoi are majority of the shippers of Vanitas and Noé, in the canon story? No.
TheOneOfSevenJul 3, 2021 7:04 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 3, 2021 7:22 AM

Mar 2020
Devil-Flamingo said:
234Mannan said:

Its a minor spoiler(Like really minor infact) and even then it wasnt really explained and the readers were expected to interpret it

Hmm, I just assumed he had super strength and invulnerability or something so hitting concrete from that fall didn't hurt him and thus he shielded Vanitas. But your explanation makes it so much more interesting! It sounds like in the lore of this story, vampires aren't merely just stronger and faster than humans (as is usually the case), but have other abilities too.

I must confess, though, I don't understand what's meant by "world formula" and "the very essence of their world". But I understand enough -- Noé essentially has abilities related to geokinesis and gravity manipulation. That's pretty cool. :D
Well the world formula will be explained in huge detail in the later episodes. (Its basically the part of the mechanics and power system and world building as a whole)
Jul 3, 2021 7:25 AM

Oct 2008
The glorious OST by Kajiura Yuki alone would make this show great...but Vampires again...hmmmm
5/5.

Jul 3, 2021 7:27 AM

Mar 2020
Devil-Flamingo said:
234Mannan said:

I would also like to add that vanitas world itself is pretty unique as a whole with a completely different/unique power system and its actually pretty complex but not as much as PH because unlike PH it can be followed eaily in comparison. In anycase its gonna be a blast once the second cour comes
Jul 3, 2021 7:32 AM

Oct 2017
234Mannan said:
Well the world formula will be explained in huge detail in the later episodes. (Its basically the part of the mechanics and power system and world building as a whole)

Ah, alright. Thanks for telling me. I hope I didn't make it sound like you explained it badly! I just found the idea somewhat puzzling and confusing. I'm new to the show and don't know anything about the world of Vanitas but I look forward to learning more as the animé progresses.

I would also like to add that vanitas world itself is pretty unique as a whole with a completely different/unique power system and its actually pretty complex but not as much as PH because unlike PH it can be followed eaily in comparison. In anycase its gonna be a blast once the second cour comes.

Oooh, that's neat!

I honestly don't remember much of PH other than the characters, so I think I'll have to watch it all over again, ha...
Devil-FlamingoJul 3, 2021 7:38 AM
Jul 3, 2021 7:48 AM

Aug 2018
I forgot how good Yuki Kajura was
_______I like rocks__
Jul 3, 2021 7:54 AM

Sep 2015
Seems promising! i've been itching for a good vampire story. Also some scenes gave me slight madoka vibes?
Jul 3, 2021 7:57 AM

Apr 2015
Okay this is pretty hype and it actually wasn't on my radar the first time looking through this current season. Glad I picked it up. The characters seems interesting, I love the setting as well. From what I can recall, I haven't truly seen many shows that are set outside of Japan or a fantasy world. So to see that France is where it's set for now is a nice surprise.

Yuki Kaijura at it again with the soundtrack, thing you just love to hear! Whenever it's her soudntrack, it just strikes you and it's instantly recognizable. Already know we're in for a treat on the sound department.

Promising start and since a S2 is already in the database as well, I will for sure stick around with Vanitas.
Jul 3, 2021 8:00 AM

Mar 2020
Devil-Flamingo said:
234Mannan said:

Ah, alright. Thanks for telling me. I hope I didn't make it sound like you explained it badly! I just found the idea somewhat puzzling and confusing. I'm new to the show and don't know anything about the world of Vanitas but I look forward to learning more as the animé progresses.

I would also like to add that vanitas world itself is pretty unique as a whole with a completely different/unique power system and its actually pretty complex but not as much as PH because unlike PH it can be followed eaily in comparison. In anycase its gonna be a blast once the second cour comes.

Oooh, that's neat!

I honestly don't remember much of PH other than the characters, so I think I'll have to watch it all over again, ha...

Well I actaually didnt explain the world formula just stated it(Since its a big spoiler), so its natural that u will be confused :)(They will reveal this in episode 4 or 5 i think)
AND Instead of watching pandora hearts, Read the manga..Seriously anime didnt did any justice to the manga and went with a anime original at some parts. I seriously urge you to read it from the start because its just perfect and as a huge fan of PH i personally hate the anime series apart from the music. Considering how the story fools You at such a high level. And how the characters are handeled(Which both got ruined in the anime as well)
234MannanJul 3, 2021 8:12 AM
Jul 3, 2021 8:14 AM

Mar 2014
Good really good start, I think I'm gonna like this show
RedChromeJul 3, 2021 8:19 AM
Jul 3, 2021 8:38 AM
Sep 2019
Good start of the season with both good op and ed and animation
Jul 3, 2021 10:27 AM
Nov 2019
Really very good starting for the show. Didn't expect Bones is the studio in the beginning, I thought shaft is the animation studio 😅.
Jul 3, 2021 10:36 AM
Apr 2020
Wonderful 1st episode. I love the story already and am looking forward to the rest and how it will play out. The characters and their interactions look great and I'm loving them~ Reminds me a bit of the character dynamics within Bungou Stray Dogs. The OP and the ED were both excellent as well.

The last line before the ED where Noe stated that he killed Vanitas was chilling. I was not expecting that at all. I wonder why and what led to that happening.
Jul 3, 2021 10:37 AM

Feb 2019
I think the big problems with this episode can be summed up by the conflict/problem being resolved just past halfway into the episode. So how would they spend the remaining third of the episode? Milking the hell out of the sparklies that are magical boy problem solving glow for a few minutes, and then a few more minutes of exposition and general padding. This was on top of it beginning with your more typical just straight up power point presentation exposition explaining the setting, because organic storytelling is haaaaaard. It's both an incredibly generic opening episode as well as an extremely padded and slow one, without any surprises or hooks. There are vampires. There's good vampires. Here's a few tidbits of specific lore regarding them.
Jul 3, 2021 10:40 AM

Jun 2016
looks promising .....
Jul 3, 2021 11:03 AM
Feb 2019
Clas1ck said:
Well, well, I thought this vampire stuff wasn't going to convince me, but I really liked it 0.0

The animation is pretty good and I like the humor
I have a lot of faith in this anime, and looking at the others of this season, maybe this will be one of the best

Funny Story
I actually bought volume 1, because I thought this would be a trashy vampire story I could laugh about ('cause other vampire manga normally are quite trashy)
I loved it and never went back
Jul 3, 2021 11:32 AM

Oct 2016
RayReynolds said:
I think the big problems with this episode can be summed up by the conflict/problem being resolved just past halfway into the episode. So how would they spend the remaining third of the episode? Milking the hell out of the sparklies that are magical boy problem solving glow for a few minutes, and then a few more minutes of exposition and general padding. This was on top of it beginning with your more typical just straight up power point presentation exposition explaining the setting, because organic storytelling is haaaaaard. It's both an incredibly generic opening episode as well as an extremely padded and slow one, without any surprises or hooks. There are vampires. There's good vampires. Here's a few tidbits of specific lore regarding them.

I disagree fundamentally with the notion that something has to be "going on" throughout the episode. If that's the case, slice of life and character-driven drama wouldn't have existed as a genre. Dialogues play an equally important role in fleshing out characters in addition to worldbuilding, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with dedicating a good half of an episode to doing so as long as it's done in a way that is interesting— which is in turn subjective and wholly dependent on the general reception of this episode. Maybe you didn't expect it to be a dialogue-heavy show, but there's nothing stopping this series from embracing heavy dialogues as a narrative device. I think it's rather disingenuous to dismiss meticulous visual direction as "padding" simply because it doesn't have the physical conflict to go with. It's fairly evident that they hired a Monogatari director for good reason.
Germs_N_SpicesJul 3, 2021 11:40 AM
Jul 3, 2021 12:03 PM
May 2018
Reven-of-death said:
can't say that I'm a big fan of the OP and ED even though I understand the reason behind both, as for OP, Itamura and his staff went to Paris and he wanted to deliver that journey to us and I think he did a pretty good job at that as for the ED, it linked to something that Noé said which I'm not sure I should be saying since I didn't watch the episode yet (just waiting for full quality)
the thing is when you have a cast full of great characters why would you put the whole focus on just 2 characters? I mean... I KNOW they're the main characters here but still...

A second cour is in the works too, so maybe they'll get to change the songs for it since at that point, we're already introduced to a lot of the cast.
Jul 3, 2021 12:25 PM

Jun 2016
I thought -tas words were supposed to be feminine.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jul 3, 2021 1:34 PM
Nov 2019
Clas1ck said:
Well, well, I thought this vampire stuff wasn't going to convince me, but I really liked it 0.0

I have a lot of faith in this anime, and looking at the others of this season, maybe this will be one of the best

do you REALLY like this humor????
Jul 3, 2021 1:43 PM

Oct 2017
Theo1899 said:
I thought -tas words were supposed to be feminine.

Indeed, Latin vānitās is grammatically feminine. The modern Romance languages' equivalents of this word are all feminine as well.

As to why there's a male vampire called Vanitas, well, it's possible the series creator doesn't know -tas is a feminine ending. And after all, Japanese lacks grammatical gender; the concept is not self-evident.

I will say, though, speakers of Romance languages (who haven't studied Latin in most cases) don't necessarily perceive "-tas" as feminine. Some might, some might not. Really, I didn't think anything of it until I saw your comment. Maybe it's because Latin didn't have articles (vānitās), whereas Italian and Spanish do (la vanità, la vanidad) so it's obvious even if the word doesn't end in -a, as is the case for this particular group of nouns.

Anyway, the series author probably just liked the word and chose it as a name. :D
Devil-FlamingoJul 3, 2021 1:46 PM
Jul 3, 2021 2:04 PM

Apr 2020
Wow, this looked good.
Looks like studio Bones puts more love into anything but MHA.

┌─❈❇❈─┐

└─❈❇❈─┘

Jul 3, 2021 2:15 PM
Oct 2020
It was a promising introduction. The music in this one is also good^^ I'm on it. Waiting for the next ep.
Jul 3, 2021 2:26 PM

Apr 2016
Devil-Flamingo said:

Anyway, the series author probably just liked the word and chose it as a name. :D

Actually, Vanitas's name is probably part of the "memento mori" theme of the character. Just like his hourglass earring.
Jul 3, 2021 4:49 PM

Apr 2015
Decent start, there's not a lot of good vampire stories so hopefully this one could be one of the better ones out there. One of the main things that's already pulling me into the story is uncovering the mystery of Vanitas's character, since apparently the original Vampire of the Blue Moon gave him his name and his book even though he's only human. Not sure how to feel about the comedy though; the on-and-off timing of it is kind of throwing me off. Don't think I had this kind of problem with Pandora Hearts, but nevertheless I have faith in the work of this author and the studio. And Yuki Kajiura's music is great as always. Looking forward to the next episode!

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Jul 3, 2021 5:39 PM
Dec 2011
This episode was hype! Really enjoyed it. I can't wait to see what happens to the characters. Vanitas is cool and so is Noe.
Jul 3, 2021 5:39 PM
Dec 2011
This episode was hype! Really enjoyed it. I can't wait to see what happens to the characters. Vanitas is cool and so is Noe.
Jul 3, 2021 5:43 PM

Jan 2018
Aside from the terrible chibi scenes, this was nice. The art and animation is definitely up there as some of the best this year.
Jul 3, 2021 7:04 PM
Mar 2015
boy have you got the wrong vampire
Jul 3, 2021 7:34 PM

Jul 2015
the animation looks so pretty and amazing!!

interesting plot as well, although I get a little bit confused.. I thought the book was meant to be used as a tool to demolish all vampires.. but it's used to cure/heal vampire instead??! can't wait for episode 2!!

anddd I LOVE the ed song!! banger.
Jul 3, 2021 11:07 PM
Oct 2020
Natsuki Hanae's Vanitas giving off a very Kamiya Hiroshi's Yato vibe. I miss Noragami.
Jul 3, 2021 11:45 PM

Jan 2021
Keyaru6 said:
Clas1ck said:

do you REALLY like this humor????

Do you really like Redo of Healer???!!! 😂
Jul 4, 2021 12:54 AM

Mar 2020
All I can say is the animation is great and the characters are interesting.
Oppai check!

111 cm: Hancock
110 cm: Zoro
100 cm: Robin
Jul 4, 2021 1:41 AM
Jan 2021
I ship the two main characters :blush:

Jul 4, 2021 1:41 AM
Jan 2021

Jul 4, 2021 2:11 AM

Oct 2020
NazunaChan said:
Unfortunately both MCs have legit female love interests, but you can still ship them eventhough it's impossible to become canon.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2021

126 by nikki05 »»
Apr 15, 10:30 AM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2021

242 by Sasutaschi »»
Apr 6, 4:48 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 23, 2021

158 by wallus81 »»
Mar 25, 7:29 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2021

148 by wallus81 »»
Mar 24, 12:54 AM

» The Romance in this story... sucks. ( 1 2 )

AjiX101 - Jan 10, 2022

53 by tragedydesu »»
Mar 8, 9:52 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.