Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fruits Basket Collector's Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Sep 25, 2020 2:58 PM

Jun 2015
LilyGinnyBlack1 said:
Roch2001 said:
Oh sweet baby Jesus, I did not see the Rooster having already broken the curse.

I know it is a small thing, but the passive voice is important here. The Rooster (Kureno) didn't break his curse. His curse was broken.

Good call. He does not understand it himself. Even our main gal asks him how he did it and he has no answer. Heck, talk about a cliff hanger ending!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Sep 25, 2020 9:22 PM

Oct 2013
Wow, was not expecting this turn of events. First off... Akito... what?!?!?! Also, I'd thought that Kuerno would have more of an idea about the curse and be a bit more insightful. I seriously love this show and can't wait for the 3rd season!
Sep 26, 2020 7:18 PM

Nov 2012
Oh sweet validation!! I knew Akito was a female. Finding out Kureno has been misleading all the zodiacs pretending he was still the rooster was surprising though.

Question: Do chickens fly in Japan? Because they can barely get off the ground everywhere else. They look more like they're jumping rather flying. Kureno was looking up at the sky like he used to soar.
Sep 27, 2020 9:22 AM
May 2019
dragynfaerie said:
Oh sweet validation!! I knew Akito was a female. Finding out Kureno has been misleading all the zodiacs pretending he was still the rooster was surprising though.

Question: Do chickens fly in Japan? Because they can barely get off the ground everywhere else. They look more like they're jumping rather flying. Kureno was looking up at the sky like he used to soar.

Kureno transforms into a sparrow, not an actual rooster. It is similar to how Hatori changes into a seahorse, instead of an actual dragon.

You can see his animal form in S2,E13 - they added it to the opening for that episode only. His animal form also shows up on one or two of the preview cards at the end of the episodes. You can also see it here: https://fruba.jp/character/kureno.php

Just hit the "change" button. :)
Sep 27, 2020 11:06 AM

Nov 2012
LilyGinnyBlack1 said:
dragynfaerie said:

Kureno transforms into a sparrow, not an actual rooster. It is similar to how Hatori changes into a seahorse, instead of an actual dragon.

You can see his animal form in S2,E13 - they added it to the opening for that episode only. His animal form also shows up on one or two of the preview cards at the end of the episodes. You can also see it here: https://fruba.jp/character/kureno.php

Just hit the "change" button. :)

Thanks, that makes sense. Also, thanks for the link to the fruba site.
Sep 27, 2020 9:28 PM

Jan 2019
So as an anime-only fan, I was certainly surprised by Akito's sex. Though aside from being a big twist, I fail to see how it... matters?

Kureno’s twist, now obviously that has some huge implications. The fact that Shigure expected it makes me all the more suspicious.

Overall, a fantastic season. While perhaps not as memorable as the first, I feel like I enjoyed it more. I didn't expect this series to carry such heavy and intricate plotlines so well.
Sep 27, 2020 9:56 PM

Sep 2018
Annoying and toxic person.. Akito!

Kureno already broke his bond a long time ago but he still stay out of pity. What a very sad life he have!
Sep 28, 2020 5:11 AM
May 2019
aplacebeyondMAL said:
So as an anime-only fan, I was certainly surprised by Akito's sex. Though aside from being a big twist, I fail to see how it... matters?

All I will say is that it isn't Akito's gender in and of itself that matters, but the fact that it was a reveal at all. That 'why' is what's important.
Sep 30, 2020 12:37 AM
Jan 2019
I was shocked that Kureno embrace Akito, but I was even more shocked that Akito was a girl
I might understand why he hates Isuzu
Oct 2, 2020 12:16 PM

Feb 2014
Finally, the secret is out. Akito IS a girl. Considering how many times I kept on seeing other users (who've read the manga) refer Aktio as a "she" long before this reveal (also known as spoiling in plain sight), I'm still surprised, and happy, to see that plenty of anime-only viewers were surprised by this reveal. =)

Still, the whole direction of this episode was excellent. You can't help but sympathise with Kureno, as well. He's the first of the zodiac members to break free of the bond, but decided to stay by Akito's side for the sake of her well-being, although Shigure's question about abandoning her must've hurt Kureno a bit.

Overall, this was a brilliant way to wrap up season 2 of Fruits Basket. I do look forward to seeing the final season now, and how the major events will be animated. =D
Oct 3, 2020 10:20 AM
Apr 2019
So Akito is a girl... I'd be lying if I said I didn't expect it. Anyway, I don't find this reveal this important. But it did surprise me the revelation that Kureno's curse was broken. And if I understood well, if all members of the Zodiac broke the bonds with Akito, she would die. That's even a more interesting reveal.

What I don't get is why Kureno chose to stay with Akito even if he isn't anymore a Zodiac member. A promise out of pity? Maybe he made that promise before Akito became such a despicable person, but after her becoming what she is now, that promise shouldn't be kept.

I wonder whether Kureno breaking the bond with Akito made her unstable. If this is the case, and other members of the Zodiac find out the way to break the curse, Akito could became even more unstable and violent. I guess we'll find out in the next season.

The last episodes have been really interesting. Looking forward to the final season.
Oct 3, 2020 11:33 PM

Jul 2020
So that explains why Akito hurt Yuki when she saw he has the same eyes as Kureno when the curse was broken. Though it was not yet established if being “distant” with Akito will break the curse but one thing’s for sure, she thought Yuki is also on the verge of breaking his curse.

And finally they reveal that Akito is a girl. The description on her character here in MAL is sort of messy lol.

Overall this season is really good though it was a cliffhanger. Can’t wait for the season 3 to be aired!!!
Oct 4, 2020 4:34 AM
Oct 2016
Akito is a girl, so what? Now she is supposed to get more ultimate emotional, vulnerable and should take with more care cuz she is a girl!?
And I was wondering how it became that they have decided to show a dude standing in the bath, so she was a girl!
Oct 5, 2020 11:39 AM

Mar 2012
I find Akito to be quite interesting and I find her to to be far more relatable than all the others who always pretend to be good no matter what happens to them. I really don't want Kureno to choose Arisa.

Also roosters cannot fly idiots, they can jump but not fly!
Oct 5, 2020 4:40 PM

Jun 2014
Maou_heika said:
Also roosters cannot fly idiots, they can jump but not fly!

Kureno transformed into a sparrow, instead of a rooster. It's like how Hatori changes into a seahorse, instead of a dragon. It will be explained later why they change into these animals and why Kyou has another ugly form.
Waiting for Gundam SEED Movie..... (ಥ‿ಥ)

Waiting for Sailor Moon Cosmos..... o(≧▽≦)o
Oct 5, 2020 5:04 PM

Mar 2015
Kureno's seiyuu made this episode a 11/10 rating.

Damn

Also Akito's gender reveal is kinda meh? I already read the manga and watched the previous anime so I knew, but even then I already guessed she was a she. Dunno but I find the reactions a bit overdramatic on that one. The pity sex though was kinda shoking.
Oct 6, 2020 11:02 AM
Jul 2020
I loved this episode! I wish there was little more insight into what could've caused Kureno's curse breaking. Shigure and Hatori kept mentioning that Tohru could break the curse, so how does she relate to however Kureno's broke? Either way I 'm excited for season 3.
Oct 9, 2020 8:13 AM
Jul 2018
You know what? I really don't mind about Akito's behaviour in previous episodes but now that I know she made Kureno (one of my fav chara in this show) suffered for a long time, I obviously can't refrain myself from hating on her anymore.

Anyways, very nice last episode ended with cliff hanger. I hope in s3 Kureno would leave Akito and meet Arisa. See you in the final season! [9/10]
Oct 11, 2020 1:42 AM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012

best cliffhanger ever
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ☠️ «•«━━━━┙
Oct 11, 2020 6:44 PM

May 2013
Ooooh, they chose to end with the gender reveal~

I want S3!!!!!! x3 teehee.

Kinda obvious Kureno is no longer one of the Zodiac members with the way Shigure speculated with Hatori and whatnot :3
Oct 12, 2020 12:38 PM

Jul 2009
What a surprise! so Kureno broke the curse long ago!!! And the fucking Akito knew it!!! Also, I saw spoilers long ago, so I am not surprised that Akito is a woman, still wanted her to die.
Oct 15, 2020 10:06 AM
Oct 2016
Kokoro_Kotashima said:

Kinda obvious Kureno is no longer one of the Zodiac members with the way Shigure speculated with Hatori and whatnot :3

If Kureno is no longer one of the Zodiac members which he is not, Shouldn't be another one born with rooster spirit in all these years?
Oct 16, 2020 4:01 AM
May 2019
Xenoneo202_ said:
Kokoro_Kotashima said:

If Kureno is no longer one of the Zodiac members which he is not, Shouldn't be another one born with rooster spirit in all these years?

No, because the curse (aka the bond), broke. So the rooster was freed from the cycle of reincarnation.
Oct 19, 2020 11:57 PM

Oct 2007
finding out how Kureno's curse broke will probably be one of the goals on the next season.
Oct 25, 2020 3:41 PM

Aug 2017
I honestly understand why they decided to end this episode and not the previous one. Kureno breaking the curse many years ago and being Akito simp due to his compassion is quite understandable! But Akito revelation was not a surprise since the anime never made me doubt, maybe the manga was less obvious but in the anime as soon as Akito appeared I knew she was a woman.

Yuki pretty much has had his character development in this season, looks like Kyo is going to be next in the final season!

7/10 for the anime
NurguburuOct 25, 2020 6:59 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 26, 2020 9:10 AM

Apr 2011
That cliffhanger! Can't wait for the final season.

8/10

Oct 31, 2020 2:30 PM

Apr 2018
I knew Akito is a girl but I did not expect Kureno and her to be lovers or something. I thought Akito was just hugging the guys like how she always does... I totally did not expect that kiss at the end.

I really wonder what broke the curse though.
Can't wait for the final season!
Nov 13, 2020 1:36 AM
Aug 2016
Jocus_ said:
Short_Circut said:
poor Shigure is jealous that Akeno gets all the attention from his waifu lolol

but ye always did think Akito was a girl this whole time, but nice to see they hid it quite well until the reveal. What a way to end off the 2nd season though lmao

Overall, really loved this one especially some of the earlier bits. I did think there was a tad bit too many eps that focused on Yuki, but oh well for better or worse.

Yuki's Basket/10

Don't worry next season will heavily focus on Kyo, Tohru and Akito, it's gonna be soooo good, the whole second season was supposed to be Yuki's season and now that Yuki has got somewhat of a redemption and courage against Akito while sorting his feelings for Tohru, the final season is gonna be Kyo's...

Damn bruh! You just hyped me up. Can't wait for Kyo's much needed character development <3
Nov 14, 2020 4:53 AM

Aug 2010
Finally got to catch up with this and got so many thoughts.

At first I thought Akito was a girl, but actually got deceived over time and was convinced she was a male, so that revelation was a shock to me lol. I thought Tohru's reaction was a bit over though, but thinking about it again, Akito was raised to be a male all her life, and that may be a big factor that messed her up. So far Fruits Basket theme seems to be going around the topic of family, more specifically parental love, so I've been thinking Akito's behavious came from her upbringing more than the curse itself.

Surprised about Kureno's curse broke as well. I wonder if it's about acceptance. Either he accepted the fact that he's a zodiac member, or life in general and was able to enjoy it. Since Akito's comment on Kureno when the curse broke is similar to her comment on Yuki during the new year gathering.

I really liked season 1, but I think this season beat it, even just by just a little. My only complain is how it ends in a cliff-hanger.
Nov 19, 2020 6:51 PM
Anti-social One

Mar 2013
Akito being a girl makes so much more sense here vs in the old version. Going to miss Fruit's Basket; this season was way better and more meaningful although a bit more somber than I am used to.
Nov 29, 2020 2:34 AM

Dec 2013
Oh my、I can't wait for season 3. Will definitely read the manga then.

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Dec 1, 2020 7:53 AM

Feb 2017
It was always obvious that Akito was a girl so it being treated as some huge reveal is kinda funny to me.

Anyway, I am glad I continued this show. After first season I wasn't very enthusiastic about it, my feeling were mixed. Now I found this season awesome and came to enjoy pretty much all characters, loved pretty much every episode and development we got. If I had to choose, the things I loved the most are Yuki's development outside of Somas and Tooru, with Machi, Kakeru and rest of the student council and all Kyo x Tooru moments were my another favorite thing.

Really looking forward to the final season!
Dec 2, 2020 5:02 AM

Aug 2020
Akito's revelation as a girl kinda surprised me too. When I first saw her, I thought she was a girl but the show deceived me. I really want to see Kureno and Uotani talk to each other again. Also, Yuki has it way rougher than I thought. I wanna see them all happy next season!!!
Dec 13, 2020 3:38 AM
Dec 2014
I actually can't get over how good this season was.
Dec 24, 2020 9:19 AM

Feb 2014
So Akito was a woman all along.
Dec 28, 2020 3:06 PM
Jan 2018
The end of a great season. Fruits Basket is amazing at balancing light heartedness with total darkness. What a great story.

Also if they're gonna set up this love story between Arisa and Kureno, they seriously should have made Kureno closer to her age. He's a grown man; it wouldn't have really changed his place in the story if he was a little younger.
Dec 30, 2020 4:29 PM

Jun 2017
Still shocked that Akito is a girl, I mean I was going back and forth on what she could be but I was more leaned towards a boy than a girl. Also, Akito's relationship with Kureno is a little disturbing.
Anyway, I can't wait for season 3!! (I hope someone else's curse breaks in S3).
9/10 :)
Jan 8, 2021 8:42 PM
Dec 2020
I love this show. The voice acting is amazing and the soundtrack is also amazing. I don’t understand people who choose to watch the Japanese version with subtitles instead of the dubbed version!
I love all the characters and that is what is great about the show! I am very touched by Shigure’s affection for Akito and very excited to see what happens. I wish there were more Shigure’s background story :( .I would also like to see Momijie grow in next season!
Feb 8, 2021 6:47 PM
Aug 2018
I've been watching the dub since that's all Hulu has, and I was surprised to learn that we were supposed to think Akito was a man until this episode? Given how Tohru reacted I assume this was supposed to be a big reveal? Anyway, still loved the episode.
Feb 9, 2021 8:49 AM
Jun 2020
I think I just witnessed the most epic and structured "It's not a man, it's a woman" in the Anime/Manga.
Feb 11, 2021 3:36 AM

Jun 2009
I don't know why but this entire season didn't really click with me as much as season 1 did. Gets a 7/10 from me.

Knew about Akito's gender for a couple of years, but this reveal was pretty well done nonetheless.
Feb 27, 2021 2:13 PM

May 2018
Great 2nd season! Hatori and Haru are the best dudes!!

"Are you intoxicated, or just insane?"
Feb 28, 2021 11:40 AM
Jan 2011
I think the only thing that really bothers me with this series is the Uotani x Kureno relationship dynamic, because she's still just a teenager after all, and also (this is just head canon, I know this isn't true) she just feels like she should be gay haha give her a teenage (girl) love interest instead, darn it!

Although I know that will never happen lol
Feb 28, 2021 11:41 AM
Jan 2011
Geocorn said:
I've been watching the dub since that's all Hulu has, and I was surprised to learn that we were supposed to think Akito was a man until this episode? Given how Tohru reacted I assume this was supposed to be a big reveal? Anyway, still loved the episode.

In the manga it's a lot more surprising since there isn't a VA influencing your perception of the character, and she's only ever drawn in masculine clothing
Mar 7, 2021 10:21 AM

May 2016
So the curse can be broken... and Akito, is... female. Huhhhhh??

Anywho, my thoughts on this season. 10/10 for starters, easily. The absolute torment I've felt when watching the characters I care so dearly for go through hell because of their past, I can't describe the ache to just give them a hug. I love Yuki so much, I can see rejection in every part of his life, and I just hope that Machi can bring a light back into Yuki's life, just like Tohru did for him.

Kyo and Tohru, damn I ship them hard. I hope the final season brings some closure for the two, because I can see how much Kyo loves her. I enjoyed this season so much more than the first, I think it's because it's not just about the characters anymore. It's about love, and pure hatred, finding ways to cope, destiny, fate and so much more entwined to produce a story so pure and wonderful, but also filled with sadness and a longing to be accepted and loved. I cannot wait for the final season.
Mar 12, 2021 5:58 AM

Oct 2008
I loved this show and this episode. The revealing of Akito's gender, Kureno's situation and how they had sexual intercourse, as a way for Akito to emotionally trap Kureno, forever by her side. Now I know part of the reason why Shigure isn't as kind to Akito as he once was.

I'll be honest, if the last part about Akito and Kureno doing "ït" wasn't shown, or even mentioned, I probably would have given this 2nd season an 8/10, in stead of the 9/10 I actually gave it.
Mar 14, 2021 3:59 PM
Dec 2020
bruhhh wtf I hated akito now I feel so sorry ahhhhhh
Mar 25, 2021 5:32 AM

Jun 2019
I feel so bad for Kureno. That man can't leave anything behind. Also, Akito... WTF?
Great season. 9/10
Apr 14, 2021 6:53 PM

Dec 2013
Kureno reveal was a shock but I still don't like his little love story with the blonde girl.

I always assumed that Akito was a girl and I naturally assume everyone thought so as well. I had no idea it was supposed to be a secret...
Apr 14, 2021 11:42 PM

Aug 2019
I probably would’ve been shocked about Akito being a girl if people didn’t spoil it in earlier episode discussions, but her being a girl doesn’t really change how I feel about her though since she is the definition of a manipulative bitch
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KANLen09 - Aug 3, 2020

162 by haniayasmine »»
Apr 21, 3:29 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Aug 17, 2020

74 by anijumper44 »»
Apr 3, 4:41 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2020

141 by Ant161718 »»
Mar 24, 10:27 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jul 27, 2020

90 by Ant161718 »»
Mar 24, 8:47 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 22, 2020

123 by Ant161718 »»
Mar 24, 3:31 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.