Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fruits Basket Collector's Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 8, 2020 9:58 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh damn, poor Momji. He did't deserve that hit to the face even from Akito.

Nice to see Toru defend him. Brave girl but it also puts her into a compromising position this episode. Quite a thrilling moment if you ask me. No doubt everyone still needs to be careful of Akito but I'm glad the episode remained cheerful thanks to Toru.
Jun 8, 2020 11:02 AM
Aug 2019
They finally revealed what Akito is to the zodiac, the God of the zodiac.
Ah yes 'that woman' I'm not excited to see her, Ren.

And with this episode the beach arc has ended, can't wait for them to go back to school I'm excited to see the student council.

Jun 8, 2020 11:13 AM

Sep 2015
And we finally get the god reveal! This episode was great, and the Tohru and Momiji moments are still so sweet. When they do the little forehead touch! Also, we’re getting some of my favorite Yuki here! I enjoy early Yuki, but later series Yuki is the best Yuki!

Tohru is really getting a better idea of why the curse is a curse, and what it means. I’m looking forward to her journey from here.

The only issue I had was a subtitle on Crunchyroll, Yuki said something about even she knows she’s pathetic, but he was talking about Kyo.
Jun 8, 2020 11:14 AM

Dec 2019
How dare Akito hit Momji, My poor child. I hate Akito more and more each episode

»»Delievers Here««
★・・・・・・★

"Today might be the chance to grasp
the chance to let your talent bloom" -Tooru Oikawa

-Signature from Annie_Law

Jun 8, 2020 11:17 AM

Aug 2013
That punched from Akito. Poor Momiji. :(

Akito is quickly becoming one of the most hated characters for me.

The way the episode ended with the fireworks had me smiling.

Jun 8, 2020 11:20 AM

Apr 2014
Dude. To think Akito is "God". Oh my f-ing goodness. No wonder why Yuki said what he really said like last episode or so. Crikey. This is really strange. As much I love Tohru. I hope she will be ready for certain consequences of her actions if she really going go through with breaking the 'curse'. Tohru only got away with scratches. Akito had to hit Momiji. For what? Momiji did nothing but just ask what is up. Darn it all. Tohru I love you very much and that goes to Kyo, Yuki, and Haru as well. But please be careful. You are willing to accept punishment, but what will happen to the others if you end up getting hurt mentally and physically?
Jun 8, 2020 11:33 AM

Apr 2019
Amazing episode with a great reveal. Tohru wanting to stop the curse is exactly what we all expected her to first think of!
EdTheAlchemistJun 8, 2020 8:51 PM

Jun 8, 2020 11:33 AM

Jan 2018
Finally! I've been waiting for this episode!
Akito now has revealed to be the god of the zodiacs! This episode was amazing, I find every moment with Tohru from Kyo to Yuki to Momiji is the cutest! I loved the fireworks! And Kyo was/is so cute with the fireworks!
But sadly this is the last chapter/episode of them in the beach and returning home next episode!
Can't wait for next week!

Jun 8, 2020 11:34 AM

Dec 2018
Kisa1208 said:
The only issue I had was a subtitle on Crunchyroll, Yuki said something about even she knows she’s pathetic, but he was talking about Kyo.

I was confused by this too
Jun 8, 2020 11:41 AM

Sep 2008
Chapters 64 and 65 were adapted in this latest episode. Like prior ones over the past few weeks, not much to really comment on with changes beyond small additions or removals. Here were changes I noticed for the episode this week:

-A small bit of the opening scene was cut where Haru commented on wanting larger fireworks to go off with, while Yuki replied back they had none of that size.
-The scene of Tohru and the Sohmas watching the Mogeta anime was added for the anime during Tohru’s narration on wanting to do something for the Sohmas.
-A scene showing Kureno opening Akito’s room and seeing he snuck out was added for the anime.
-When Akito punched Momiji in the manga, there was some blood shown flying from Momiji’s mouth following the blow.
-Isuzu observing Tohru and the younger Sohmas playing with fireworks was added for the anime.
Jun 8, 2020 11:53 AM
Sep 2015
She's living in a house full of hot guys I'm dreaming of, it's not even that hard decision to decide to help them, I'd sell my ass if it saves them from the curse.

Confession: I mistook Fruits Basket as a part of CLAMP universe.
Jun 8, 2020 11:57 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Another suspenseful episode for the week.

So Akito is a God. I’m not sure I get the whole message from this alone but it makes sense why the Zodiac members don’t disobey his/her orders. I’m afraid I’ll be needing more then this to justify his/her actions, however. Props to Momoji for standing up to Akito and then calling out for help later on, too.

I’m curious about the “bind” that Tohru brought up, additionally. Also, why must the Zodiacs be around with Akito and a few others of the sort. But hey, full adaptions so it’s just a matter of time really.

Horse Zodiac trying to protect Hatsuharu with this attitude? I feel like this is what Yuki was hinting at and her appearance (newly added for the anime it seems, courtesy to @ggultra2764) gives me that impression but I’m looking forward to confirmation nonetheless.

Fireworks scene with the usual crew was really sweet to see. And this marks the end of this arc, I imagine. I’m looking forward to seeing normal services from next week!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jun 8, 2020 12:03 PM

Mar 2016
I won't bother to say much this time around, but man....

This episode really had my blood boiling, which is rather rare for me nowadays.

It's funny and amazing how Tohru legit has significantly more courage than most of the other people in the series.

It's more endearing to also know that every single moment spent with Tohru for the Sohmas, regardless of how silly, comedic, and whimsical they can be...is basically a temporary respite, a sense of freedom, those brief moments where they can actually be like normal human beings and not individuals chained down by a sickening curse. Tohru is practically their heroine, imho.
Jun 8, 2020 12:05 PM
May 2017
This show is going downhill cause of this bitch.

JUST FUCKING KILL HER ALREADY!!
Jun 8, 2020 12:06 PM

Feb 2018
Still wondering when we're going to get actual backstory on Akito, who is just cartoonishly villainous so far.
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
Jun 8, 2020 12:10 PM

Dec 2014
Such a great and powerful episode... it seems Akito will also be a victim... I hope it is obvious but I want her to to be saved to with all the zodiacs
Jun 8, 2020 12:13 PM
Jul 2018
I'm just so, so glad this is getting a full adaptation. It deserves it so much! This arc was something I waited for for so long, and boy was it worth it. Even having read the entire thing I was still on the edge of my seat the entire arc.

I always thought Maaya Sakamoto was the perfect choice for Akito. This episode proved me right. Tohru's actress was fantastic this episode too, their scene together was chilling.

I've never been more satisfied than from seeing this arc finally animated 10/10
Jun 8, 2020 12:17 PM

Aug 2019
i do not care what kind of trauma akito went through i have never wanted to throw hands with a character more than ever every episode fuels me with rage from akito jesus christ
Jun 8, 2020 12:19 PM
Jun 2015
Even though I have finished the manga already (quite a while ago, which is why I was really happy to hear the announcement of a reboot last year) and know what is this about, the whole time watching this episode I had to hold my breath, like I am watching it for the very first time (well, technically yes, watching it for the first time, read it before).
Such a powerful episode this was! I loved every moment...
Jun 8, 2020 12:20 PM

Jun 2014
This episode adapts chapters 64-65, which are the end of the Beach arc. And now we finally know who is Akito and why Akito has such power over the Souma Zodiacs! (Akito has power over the other Souma people because Akito is the head of the Souma family/clan. But Akito being the God of the Zodiacs makes Akito really special.)

Tooru finally learns more about the curse and decides to break the curse, to free everyone. Must love her. <3 Momiji was really brave how he tried to protect Tooru. Everyone had some nice memories at the end.

l think the title of the next episode is from end of chapter 68. Which means they are either going to skip some things or re-arrange the order of chapters again. Damn, I wanted to see chapters 56-57 which they skipped. :/ I hope we get to see them eventually. T__T
Waiting for Gundam SEED Movie..... (ಥ‿ಥ)

Waiting for Sailor Moon Cosmos..... o(≧▽≦)o
Jun 8, 2020 12:24 PM
Oct 2019
I’m probably the only person who still ships Yuki and Tohru lol...
Jun 8, 2020 12:26 PM

Jul 2014
I think that's enough of Akito's venomous nature for the time being. We learn that he's the "god" of the Zodiac, and that's why they all follow him, but I still need a little more than that to have it really make sense to me.

Tohru is certainly courageous to stand up to Akito, but that's exactly what she's gonna need to be if she's ever going to break the curse.
Jun 8, 2020 12:41 PM
Jul 2018
Well then, it was rather apparent even before the reveal that Akito is the head of the Sohma clan, the God of the Zodiac animals. What I found most interesting is this talk about a curse. On paper, the curse is the person's transformation to their zodiac form. But of course, I hazard a guess that it is deeper than that. And whatever it is, it is keeping the zodiac members chained firmly to Akito. Otherwise, things wouldn't have been as complex and difficult as they are right now.

Anyhow, Akito is quite pathetically pitiful. From the way she reacted to the thought of Shigure distancing from her, not loving her as deeply as before, it seems likely that Akito's biggest fear is loneliness. Hence why she went out of her way to cause suffering and sadness amongst the zodiacs, all out of misguided fear that they might abandon her, how twisted of her.
Jun 8, 2020 12:49 PM

Sep 2008
axel360 said:
Still wondering when we're going to get actual backstory on Akito, who is just cartoonishly villainous so far.

That won't happen for a fair while (sometime in the middle of the title's second half) as the anime's only covered up to the 11th manga volume thus far, barring one two-chapter side story from Volume 10 that has yet to be adapted for the anime. But this episode did drop a couple hints regarding elements of Akito's character and backstory that drove him quite off his rocker more than usual with his interactions with Tohru and Momiji.
Jun 8, 2020 1:09 PM

Mar 2020
daily reminder that i hate akito sohma...*rolls eyes and sighs*

anyways..i'm so glad the episode ended with the firework scene. it really warmed my heart to see them all happy together again after the continuous trauma they had to endure with akito being there. also the way kyo and yuki seem to slowly be bonding makes me so happy.

i truly hope tohru can help each and every one of them and break the cruse that's holding them back. i haven't read the manga yet, so i'm excited (but also worried) for what's to come. also..am i the only one annoyed by shigure lately? lmao.

❝☆ 𝗧𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗿, 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗿, 𝗺𝘆 𝘃𝗼𝗶𝗰𝗲 ☆

𝘐 𝘸𝘪𝘴𝘩 𝘐 𝘤𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘩 𝘺𝘰𝘶...

Jun 8, 2020 1:35 PM

Apr 2018
Can't believe I found a character even worse than Myne.

I'm hoping that something really bad happens to Akito.
Watashi wa a victim of cyberbullying. Everyday someone online calls me a "weeb" desu. Watashi won't stand for this. 26 percent of bullying victims are chosen due to their race or religion desu. I may look like a basic white boy, but deep down I am Nihongo desu. Watashi religion is anime. Anata wa bullying me because of my race and religion desu ka? Disgusting desu. Anata should be ashamed of yourself, racist pig. A baka gaijin like anata is probably jealous of my race and culture, cause Nippon is more sugoi than your shitty country desu. Watashi pity anata. You'll never be Nihongo like watashi. Educate yourself on nani a "weeb" is.
Jun 8, 2020 1:40 PM

Apr 2016
After all the hype, this was a disappointing episode. Far too melodramatic. Too much padding as usual. We already knew that Akito was the Emperor/God since last season. Only interesting thing is that Akito had to be called back; does that imply that there are other powerful forces within the household he has to contend with? Or was that just an excuse to get Akito to leave?
Jun 8, 2020 1:40 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
These past two episodes have totally swayed my opinion. What a treat.

5/5
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Jun 8, 2020 1:42 PM

Jul 2017
I feel like something having to do with Akito being assigned the role of god, or something to do with the council or whatever are responsible for Akito's twisted nature. Especially with that flower flashback with Shigure and how they reacted to that I feel like the burden of the role given or something like that is what's driven Akito into insanity which explains the mental behaviour

Jun 8, 2020 1:42 PM
May 2018
This episode is just perfect! I've been waiting for this arc since announcement of the reboot; story telling is great so far, so it didn't dissapoint me. They are animating the manga beautifully and faithfully. With this episode, Tohru becomes a full-fledged protagonist with an aim, she begins to show her other sides to viewers.

Only thing i didn't like about this episode is Yuki talking about Tohru being pathetic, this is a BIG TRANSLATION ERROR. He is talking about Kyo being pathetic there, in the manga. Translators need to correct the error. They already made an error in episode 9 with Kazuma's name.

I wonder when they will animate chapters 56 and 57, they need to animate them soon for the plot flow.
CrimsonCarnationJun 8, 2020 1:53 PM
Jun 8, 2020 1:45 PM

Sep 2007
God huh. Devil, more like.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

MALoween 2023 Candies

MALoween 2022 Candies

Jun 8, 2020 1:55 PM

Feb 2016
Pls, someone 7 Page Muda Akito or fucking GER infinite death loop her already. No one punches Momiji and scratches and insults Tohru... NOBODY DOES

Now that that's over with, this was a very tense episode. We finally get to know why everyone obeys Akito since she sees herself as a God to them, I wonder what else can be added to that. Man, Momiji surely had the balls to go get Hatori and Shigure for help, poor lad ;_; he didn't deserve that punch. First Yuki, then Kyo, and now Tohru, all three got the development they needed. I really can't decide with who I ship Tohru with, but for now, I rather ship her with Kyo, don't want to see mah boy being caged for eternity.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Jun 8, 2020 1:57 PM
Oct 2019
For one moment, I tought that Akito was going to pull Tohru's hair. A really thrilling episode.
Jun 8, 2020 2:08 PM
Mar 2015
Nice to see Torhu stand up to Akito She realizes the curse binds everyone even Akito and vows to end it which is Akito's biggest fear and Shigure's plan
Jun 8, 2020 2:14 PM

Mar 2017
I have never loved a character so much as Tohru; she came face to face with such a terrifying person and still has the strength and kindness to want to fight her to give her friends a better future. This episode still broke my heart but there was so much hope here too!

I think I get what Shigure was planning now; he wanted Tohru to find out the whole truth and want to stand against Akito because she's the only one who can. The reveal of Akito's position in the zodiac makes everything tie together and makes her seem even more intimidating. Brilliant episode!
Jun 8, 2020 2:56 PM

Jul 2016
I kinda don't see why some ppl here claim Akito may be a victim as well - nothing about what I've seen of Akito makes me think he couldn't just behave differently if he wanted. The evil he inflicts on others seem to be born of nothing more than his own will, regardless of what his past may hide - heck, the other Souma have dark pasts too (partly because of Akito), and they can still refrain from acting like Akito does. That alone should be quite telling.

As for Tohru "standing" up to Akito... that's kinda debatable. I mean, I know it's Tohru so even something like this probably required a lot from her. But considering that Akito has absolutely no power over Tohru (charisma maybe, but no actual physical power whatsoever), it's hard for me to feel like complimenting Tohru. Actually "standing up" to Akito, for me, would've meant something a bit more harsh - maybe not punching him in the face, but at least telling him he's an idiot and that he means nothing. I just don't understand what's so heroic about what Tohru did, exactly. If anything, Momiji is a lot more praise-worthy for what he did, tbh.
Jun 8, 2020 2:57 PM

Dec 2018
Valyrian1124 said:
We already knew that Akito was the Emperor/God since last season.

Not everyone.

Nothing last season confirmed this to non-manga readers. Some hints were there though, but not all.
Marcos_AspiraJun 8, 2020 3:00 PM
Jun 8, 2020 3:08 PM

Apr 2015
Holy shit I want to crucify Akito and set it to fire! Let him burn in hell!!

What a tense episode!

Momiji standing up for Tohru was so sweet to see, that punch was not deserved :( Poor Momiji :/ Tohru did manage to step inbetween Momiji and Akito, but seemed powerless against Akito, cause Akito just has this terrifying aura.. Brave but I couldn't have expected anything else. It's Tohru, this girl is too pure hearted after all!

So Akito is a god to the Zodiac Members, yeah right... I find that hard to believe :P
Jun 8, 2020 3:30 PM

Mar 2018
The last interaction between Yuki and Kyo was the only good part for me. I feel like Momiji should have been focused on more in this episode
Jun 8, 2020 4:11 PM

Nov 2016
The reveal aside, it was an episode where the wholesomeness prevailed and that ended on a hopeful note with a resolved Tohru, hopefully she will also be able to help Akito.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 8, 2020 4:12 PM

Jul 2012
Holy hell... well, that explains a lot.
And my hate for Akito keeps growing and growing.
Jun 8, 2020 4:24 PM

Sep 2011
To think that an anime which already used violence as "comic relief", with Kagura for example, can deliver such a raw and revolting moment of it like this. To think that Akito would punch Momiji out of the blue in an outburst. Not that it's unprecedented with what he did to Kisa, but I was so sad and so angry at the same time that I can't and won't downplay this. It's infuriating that he can do this without having to suffer consequences. Momiji absolutely didn't deserve that, but he was really strong. He tried to make Akito leave, he knew that he was there to, unreasonably, take out his anger on Tooru and he tried to protect her even though he can't defy him. He was also quick to call Shigure and Hatori since they could possibly do something to help, but they either arrived too late or simply watched helplessly as the confrontation unfolded like Kyou, Haru and Yuki. I can't possible judge them though, interfering would have only made it worse, and if it is this frustrating to me, it must be much more painful to them. Akito hurt Tooru physically too, but he wasn't able to damage her spirit. Tooru has now met all of the 12 members of the Zodiac and knows that Akito is the god of them. She understands better than before how they are bound by this curse too, and it seems that Akito is also bound by it somehow, but I doubt that whatever happened is going to be able to justify all of this. I love how Tooru is determined to protect and free them though. I only hope that she won't have to pay too big of a price to do it. And it was also sad to see her and Momiji hiding from the others how they got hurt.
Jun 8, 2020 4:26 PM

Jul 2017
Reaching the end of the beach arc with this episode, more confirmation that Akito isn't just a mere "Master" manipulator, she is the zodiac "God" residing over the Somas. Or more like, she's had a stranglehold over everyone and controlling their destinies.

As the end of the gathering emerges...Kyou and Yuki mentally changed, and becoming more proactive in voicing opinions about defending Tohru from Akito's clutches (at least to the Cat).

It's clear that Tohru IS the change the Somas need, but Akito, for the life of her, the more Tohru is involved with them, the tables will keep turning towards her favour with the zodiac "God" losing out at the end. And that's the case of Akito lashing out at Momiji (boy he didn't deserve that punch), and verbally abusing and scarring Tohru...the intense, fearful confrontation.

For Tohru to stand her ground against Akito, I really dig her brave confidence, but TBH, it's a fight that for now she CANNOT win, and with her pure kind-heartedness, she'll change them one by one. Saying is believing, but in this state of trauma, to protect someone, is a lot fearsome, but can be overcome.

To capture bonds with a stranglehold vs. breaking the Soma curse, the starting fight of Tohru's dreams and wishes to give them the freedom and protect them from inevitable harm. And thinking back of Shigure's plan, it was covertly well planned to let Tohru face the music with Akito, to see for herself the harsh truth surrounding everyone.

Such a great episode, and this signals the start of something new.
Jun 8, 2020 4:41 PM
Dec 2009
after reading the manga, it's so nice to finally see these important moments animated. been waiting 17 years for this.

and then knowing what the next episode will be based on the title preview. hoo boy, ti's just gonna get better and better
Jun 8, 2020 5:53 PM

Jun 2014
Akito is such a bitch and I hate her more and more every episode!

I can't wait for Tohru to eventually stand up to her and hopefully break the curse! I love how she is determined to stand by them all and see that they are free to live life the way they want!

Anybody heard yet how many episodes this season is going to be? Do we only have two episodes left and wait for S3 ? Or will they finish everything in this season and just make it a two cour?
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Jun 8, 2020 6:01 PM
Review Moderator
Book Princess

Nov 2018
This was a very sweet and sour episode. I really admire how Fruits Basket can pull off dark scenes with Akito and then switch to heartwarming scenes with the rest of the Sohmas without giving you a case of emotional whiplash.
Every day you can read a book or watch some anime is a good day!
Jun 8, 2020 6:05 PM

Apr 2014
That's straight up ASSAULT, Akito.
Jun 8, 2020 6:20 PM
May 2019
CeissaDesiste said:
Akito is such a bitch and I hate her more and more every episode!

I can't wait for Tohru to eventually stand up to her and hopefully break the curse! I love how she is determined to stand by them all and see that they are free to live life the way they want!

Anybody heard yet how many episodes this season is going to be? Do we only have two episodes left and wait for S3 ? Or will they finish everything in this season and just make it a two cour?

This season is going to be 25 episodes, just like last season was. :)
Jun 8, 2020 7:16 PM
Sep 2017
Honestly could not care less about Akito’s backstory - that bitch needs to burn in hell and I don’t care if she was tortured or bullied or anything else in her past. She is pure evil. I want Tohru to break the curse, free all the Zodiacs, and for “god” Akito to be the one locked in a cage for the rest of her life.
Does my dislike for this character come through? LOL.
Poor baby Momiji! How brave he was! And also how brave of Tohru to question what Akito was saying about the so-called future happiness of the Sohmas. She was scared and intimidated, but she still stood up for Momiji and spoke her mind.
The ending fireworks scene was so sweet. Yuki obviously knows how Kyo feels about Tohru! He acknowledges it even though he has feelings for her too. They have all come such a long way.
I love this show so much!
Jun 8, 2020 8:17 PM

Nov 2011
"I want to break those Bonds" Hell Yeah Tohru! HELL FREAKING YEAH!

Akito is pure Garbage but the worst thing is the Zodiac's won't disobey.

Shit what a great episode.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KANLen09 - Aug 3, 2020

162 by haniayasmine »»
Apr 21, 3:29 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Aug 17, 2020

74 by anijumper44 »»
Apr 3, 4:41 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2020

239 by Ant161718 »»
Mar 25, 12:12 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2020

141 by Ant161718 »»
Mar 24, 10:27 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jul 27, 2020

90 by Ant161718 »»
Mar 24, 8:47 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.