Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Feb 3, 2020 7:52 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Well that really sucks lol. Even if I don't have any particular attachment to Minoru, it's unfair that he had to die due to the new rule. Well, at least he beat Near :D

Wasn't expecting to see Trump though, heh. Was a fun one-shot.
Feb 3, 2020 8:05 PM

Nov 2011
The Shinigami King was a bitch.

I like how the world has progress and anyone who tries to be Kira would probably get caught fast.

Feb 3, 2020 8:25 PM
Aug 2019
It's been so long since the original and this was definitely a good read. Rip Minoru

Feb 3, 2020 8:31 PM

Nov 2011
SleepySnowSpirit said:
Why did he wait 2 years?

He wasn't old enough to open a bank account.

Feb 3, 2020 8:45 PM

Aug 2019
Nice insight into the rules of the Death Note. I thought the MC was going to pull a fast one and kill the person who bought it, lol.

That being said, it would have been more fun to see a second full-length Death Note. For example, two Shinigami make a bet that they can find a human who can take over the world. Two Death Notes drop in. Chaos ensues.
Feb 3, 2020 9:13 PM

Aug 2013
Well, that was ok, mildly entertaining. I really liked the MC's pretty boy design; I even wish that I could see more of him if not for his unfortunate ending. At first I thought the plan would be dumb, but it managed to surprise me even if it was pretty simple.

Near felt pretty out of place, though. It seems the only reason he's here is to praise the MC's intelligence so we don't even get the chance to think that the plan isn't all that brilliant like the writer wants us to believe. He should really think about getting a haircut as well.

The ending was pretty disappointing, though. It felt shoehorned awkwardly into the story just to give a 'desu noto bad' moral lesson to it, kinda like the original. It didn't feel deserved, especially since there was not even a real attempt from the police to thwarts his plans.
Satyr_iconFeb 3, 2020 9:20 PM
Feb 3, 2020 9:57 PM

Oct 2013
I enjoyed it for what it was, I guess I'm not the only one that got a bad taste in their mouth with that ending, it felt very forced to me as well.
Feb 3, 2020 10:06 PM

Mar 2014
Actually quite surprised it was this entertaining and intriguing, the closure could been better but i give it a pass, at least i enjoyed it more than the anime ending . Also found this one shot to be very well structured, for some reason it felt longer than it actually was.
Feb 3, 2020 11:07 PM

Jul 2017
Haven't read this yet. I'm just wondering why the guy on the cover looķs like your typical UK hypebeast lol

Feb 3, 2020 11:16 PM

Aug 2012
Well, I certainly wasn't expecting Trump anywhere near Death Note, but I thought it was pretty fitting (though it stings that Trump was allowed the choice to live or not while Minoru got cheated out of his victory).

This was a pretty solid one-shot, I enjoyed it more than I expected and I feel it was kinda perfect as a one-shot. I loved Minoru's plan, it was pretty simplistic but it was a different direction entirely, very well-thought out, and while the divided bank plan certainly was in part to keep him anonymous, the plan itself was far more generous and kind of heartwarming than I expected. We got very little of him in terms of personality, but this definitely helped make him into a character I cared about. Unfortunately, just in time for him to be screwed out but to be honest, it's kind of bad-ass to concoct a plan so bad-ass a literal God has to add an entire rule out of spite. And while Near really didn't add much more than to explain why his plan was so good, there's something cathartic about seeing him being toppled. And of course, this was perfect for a one-shot because it really wasn't a story that could maintain interest longer than it lasted. It's pretty cool that they managed to make an entertaining story in the same style of Death Note despite being radically different in plot. Matsuda's moment was fun also.
Feb 4, 2020 1:32 AM
Feb 2019
SleepySnowSpirit said:
Why did he wait 2 years?

so he can be 18 i guess.. because almost all banks require you to be 18 to be able to create a bank account.
Feb 4, 2020 1:33 AM

Apr 2016
Thee nostalgia... seems this one-shot brings together all the thrills back from the original series. On the downside that ending felt really cheap. It's bullshit like that, that pissed me off about the original series. Overall, 8/10.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online
π = 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944592307816406286208998628034825342117067982148086513
Feb 4, 2020 2:03 AM

May 2014
I liked it up until the ending. Suddenly adding a new rule just so they could have that ending seemed a bit forced. It felt like it was there just for some shock value. I still enjoyed the one-shot it though, more Death Note is nice. Not the same without Light though.

Also in this panel it looked like Near had boobs. Probably just the folds in his clothes, but i thought they were going to reveal he was actually a girl or something lol. Especially now he has that long hair.

Overall though, still better than what i read of Platinum End. It didn't have a big impact of me, but i enjoyed reading it nonetheless. Being in the Death Note universe again was a joy and i actually hope we get more out of the franchise in anime or manga form. 6/10.
FancyjasperFeb 4, 2020 2:09 AM
Feb 4, 2020 2:17 AM

Nov 2013
Well, that was actually really well done. I expected more of a fanservice spin-off, but this self-contained story managed to make a satisfying end to itself instead of vaguely baiting a non-existing sequel.

I like how it lampshaded the problems Kira would have in a modern world, creatively explored a brand new loophole and patched it within the same story to prevent being repetitive.

Napok said:

The Shinigami King added the new rule after the MC sold the death note to Trump. So Ryuk telling him about it after the fact wouldn't matter since he already broke the new rule and there's no way he can undo it.

Since it looks like Ryuuk killed him right after Minoru took out the money from his account - the point when he literally recieved it, I'd say that if he just ignored the money on his account he might have lived.
abystoma2Feb 4, 2020 2:23 AM
You all need to watch Nami.

Feb 4, 2020 2:20 AM

Sep 2019
Ryuk never broke a promise didn't he?

Minoru got away from L and remained anonymous. But he died in unfortunate way as well. I guess it's true that no matter how you do it, it will always end up the same. I'm enjoying this more than the original series.

Light was more radical and he intended to be recognized by many. I always wonder what if he just want to have an easy life and use it in a way that he wouldn't get found out. This one shot answers everything i asked for. Good series despite being short.

Nevertheless, i don't think i'd want another death note series. It's better to leave it at this.

Wandering Witch is the best light novel ever!
Feb 4, 2020 3:01 AM

Jul 2017
I'm waiting for a review the size of a novel for a oneshot.
Feb 4, 2020 3:51 AM

Feb 2017
That was really fun. I am bummed about him dying in the end, he deserved to live.
Feb 4, 2020 3:56 AM

Aug 2016
its ya boy inflation

very good oneshot!
Feb 4, 2020 4:11 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
The King is a bitch for doing what he did to Minoru lol....Man that kid deserved to get away unscathed
Feb 4, 2020 4:29 AM

Jan 2009
Xendr said:
deg said:
question how did the new MC able to plan all of this for 2 years considering the Death Note is out of his hand for those 2 years like did it say that when the Death Note is out of your hands for like days then you will not remember anything anymore? so how can he remember to plan all of this for 2 years without the Death Note in his hand?

EDIT:

err never mind i remember he ask Ryuk how much distance he can be to Ryuk without the Death Note in his hand but the Death Note is in possession of Ryuk so that connects how he did it for 2 years

EDIT:

but oh he did seem to forget about everything though and when Ryuk put the Death Note on his head he suddenly remembers everything so weird

No it's not weird... ITS LITERALLY THE SAME THING THAT LIGHT DID! That's how the death note works, you forget if you give it up, and you remember when you get it again. Famous light/Kira comeback scene??

ah ok i already forgot the Death Note anime since its been years since i saw it
Feb 4, 2020 5:06 AM
Jul 2018
What a weird one-shot generally speaking but it was nice seeing familiar faces.

As usual I enjoy Matsuda doing Matsuda things lol.
removed-userFeb 4, 2020 5:09 AM
Feb 4, 2020 5:41 AM
Jul 2018
Napok said:
TekFiji said:

Not really. The reason Ryuk did not tell Minoru about the new rule was because he requested Ryuk to never come back to him ever again. You could say he caused his own downfall just like Light.

The Shinigami King added the new rule after the MC sold the death note to Trump. So Ryuk telling him about it after the fact wouldn't matter since he already broke the new rule and there's no way he can undo it.

Nope. Remember, Minoru had to wait a month to withdraw the money. The instant he withdrew the money, he died. If Minoru didn't tell Ryuk to never come back, he would have known about the new rule and simply not withdrew the money in the first place.
Feb 4, 2020 8:53 AM

Apr 2014
That was a quite unique way of using the Death Note, but somehow I get a feeling that's not over yet. Maybe we'll get another Death Note series in the future? I would also love to see this one shot getting animated.
Feb 4, 2020 9:15 AM

Jul 2012
damn, he still had to die lol

it was a good oneshot! we need more manga/anime like dn :(
Feb 4, 2020 9:28 AM
Dec 2019
OMG i can't believe they released a new oneshot.
The way they sold the Death Note was smart and original, he's a good boy since he didn't kill anyone.
Amazing oneshot!!!
Feb 4, 2020 10:18 AM
Jul 2018
This is the first time I got surprised from seeing such a brilliant plan since I watched Death Note. 10/10 easily.

At first I thought that the new rule was made by the new guy himself like Light did and I wish it ended like this but the goddamn Shinigami King had to butt in the situation and mess it up like this.

That mc is my new favorite character and its an honor for him that he got his name written on the same page as Light's. Damn I miss Light. Seeing them mention him made me nostalgic.

Why in Death Note world smart humans like Light, L and this new guy die but Near lives? Makes no sense to me.
removed-userFeb 4, 2020 12:59 PM
Feb 4, 2020 11:03 AM

Jul 2013
while reading the chapter i was hoping that this was a pilot one shot and they'd write a death note sequel with this MC and the new challenges (big brother is watching you, some people could spot ryuk and know how kira killed etc).

later on i accepted this as a great one shot without a sequel.

then the new rule happened and ruined the chapter for me :/
Feb 4, 2020 1:14 PM

Dec 2016
fancyjasper said:

Also in this panel it looked like Near had boobs. Probably just the folds in his clothes, but i thought they were going to reveal he was actually a girl or something lol. Especially now he has that long hair.

I was thinking the same thing. xD
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.97/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.164/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.86/? - weekly)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.63/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.53/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Feb 4, 2020 3:35 PM

Mar 2018
I’m the only one who thinks the ending was unfair 😑
Feb 4, 2020 4:17 PM

Jul 2015
This was pretty good for a one-shot, but i have mixed feelings for that ending
Feb 4, 2020 5:11 PM
Dec 2018
Was reading it and almost died of laughter when I saw Donald Trump
Feb 4, 2020 5:24 PM

Oct 2013
abystoma2 said:

Napok said:

Since it looks like Ryuuk killed him right after Minoru took out the money from his account - the point when he literally recieved it, I'd say that if he just ignored the money on his account he might have lived.
TekFiji said:
Napok said:

Nope. Remember, Minoru had to wait a month to withdraw the money. The instant he withdrew the money, he died. If Minoru didn't tell Ryuk to never come back, he would have known about the new rule and simply not withdrew the money in the first place.

The MC lost the ownership of the Death Note so Ryuk shouldn't come back whether he told him not to or not. It would have been just as bad as the new rule if he came back to help him. The problem with the ending is the new rule itself, that was made at the end after the MC done everything right by the book just to have a forced "moral story".
NapokFeb 4, 2020 5:29 PM
Feb 4, 2020 5:39 PM
Dec 2016
Napok said:
abystoma2 said:

TekFiji said:

The MC lost the ownership of the Death Note so Ryuk shouldn't come back whether he told him not to or not. It would have been just as bad as the new rule if he came back to help him. The problem with the ending is the new rule itself, that was made at the end after the MC done everything right by the book just to have a forced "moral story".

It wasn’t to force the story to be moral it was to conform with the previously established unwritten rule that all humans who have death notes end with misfortune. This was established in the main series. As for ryuk coming back I don’t know if it’s an actual rule or a personal one but ryuk told light that when he died (implies to be even from natural causes) that ryuk would Have to write his name in his death note so he had to come back to do that for this MC
Feb 4, 2020 5:45 PM

Aug 2016
Moral of the story: Don't go around playing with things that are beyond your comprehension.

Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Feb 4, 2020 5:55 PM
Dec 2009
This was a great one-shot. Because of the delay in receiving payments, Minoru couldn't withdraw the money he got from selling the notebook, thus the new rule affected him. Also, doesn't this mean that Trump dies since the seller received his payment and died? The buyer would also die if I got that right.

Ryuk always wins in the end. 8/10
Malloween Candies (2023):
6 main candies
Feb 4, 2020 7:47 PM
Feb 2014
Awesome, Trump could have used it to become the God Emperor of the new world but decided against it, but the U.S. is more stronger than ever now. Nice to see some of the old characters again.
Feb 5, 2020 12:23 AM

Aug 2015
7/10

Minoru made something interesting at least, and then died like a nobody. Yeah, fits Death Note pretty well.

I didn't like Near at all here, he basically let himself down and confirmed that without L's clues he wouldn't accomplished anything in Light's case. He is just an inferior version (also the long hair looks weird).

I wasn't expecting a Deus Ex Machina (or Deus Ex Shinigami, in this case) to kill the protagonist, but besides that it was entertaining and kinda ridiculous, as the series should be.
Feb 5, 2020 1:34 AM

Jan 2020
Great oneshot i need more of these even if its different mc every chapter.

Also Shinigami King way to spoil the fun after the death note was successfully sold lol, i did not expect minarou to be killed since he isnt aware and rules isnt implemented by time of his possession

Made by k3ti
Feb 5, 2020 2:31 AM

Oct 2019
Shit was cool, but I def was expecting something different. Hope we get some more in the future.
Feb 5, 2020 4:23 AM
Jul 2018
Napok said:
TekFiji said:

Not really. The reason Ryuk did not tell Minoru about the new rule was because he requested Ryuk to never come back to him ever again. You could say he caused his own downfall just like Light.

That's not true because he had to wait a month to be able to pull money from his account. As soon as he physically took money out of the bank is when he met his unfortunate fate and the rule applied, which was one month after the trade deal. All he had to do was not take money out of the bank which he would have known if Ryuk told him had he not told him to fuck off prior lol. His death was preventable yet self-induced in the same vein as Light.
removed-userFeb 5, 2020 4:26 AM
Feb 5, 2020 4:55 AM
Mar 2019
cool to see Ryuk and Death Note return.
even if it has been over a decade.

nice that Ryuk never changed. Still his mischievous self.

interesting how they acknowledge the increase of surveillance in the current era, and how it would have affected Kira.

the way he got the money in the end was pretty smart in my opinion. somewhat of a melancholic ending.

hints of a sequel?
J891319Feb 5, 2020 5:46 AM
Feb 5, 2020 5:48 AM
Mar 2019
TekFiji said:
Napok said:

That's not true because he had to wait a month to be able to pull money from his account. As soon as he physically took money out of the bank is when he met his unfortunate fate and the rule applied, which was one month after the trade deal. All he had to do was not take money out of the bank which he would have known if Ryuk told him had he not told him to fuck off prior lol. His death was preventable yet self-induced in the same vein as Light.

exactly, he could have warned Minoru of the rule, before he withdrew the money.
yet, Ryuk's respect for a smart way of using the death note overruled him saving him, as he chose to listen to his wishes to not be contacted ever again.
Feb 5, 2020 5:49 AM
Mar 2019
Pakumen- said:
7/10

Minoru made something interesting at least, and then died like a nobody. Yeah, fits Death Note pretty well.

I didn't like Near at all here, he basically let himself down and confirmed that without L's clues he wouldn't accomplished anything in Light's case. He is just an inferior version (also the long hair looks weird).

I wasn't expecting a Deus Ex Machina (or Deus Ex Shinigami, in this case) to kill the protagonist, but besides that it was entertaining and kinda ridiculous, as the series should be.

would agree, making a serialisation with maybe a new user every few chapters could be cool.
Just to see how they use it.
Feb 5, 2020 6:21 AM

Jun 2015
ECONOMISTS AND THE KING SHINIGAMI HATE HIM!
Learn how he inflated Japan's economic bubble and nearly killed United States of America's president before dying a pathetic death.
Feb 5, 2020 6:21 AM

Jun 2015
J891319 said:
Pakumen- said:
7/10

would agree, making a serialisation with maybe a new user every few chapters could be cool.
Just to see how they use it.

Yes, I want more personal shots like this.
Feb 5, 2020 7:07 AM

Jun 2017
just finished reading it. as some one who considers DN his favorite anime of all time, F*** you one shot, seriously. that plot twist at the end is so f***ing dumb and so out of nowhere. a rule randomly added that kills him, and retroactively too. how dumb and nonsensical is that??!! the story was going so well until then, it made sense and was as engaging as the original DN, then this ending pops up and ruins the whole freaking thing. it was so freaking random and stupid, and oh, he couldnt tell him about this rule that changes everything because "he gave him his word". yeah right.

damn, havent been that pissed off about an ending in a long time lol.

and yes, i know i may have over reacted, those were just my thoughts and feelings in the moment XD

PS: also, why the f*** did he tell him to comeback after 2 years lol?
Feb 5, 2020 9:11 AM

May 2013
That Rule is just unfair there was no chance of winning, but he did make the lives of many people better.
Feb 5, 2020 12:59 PM

Nov 2010
I have no problem with the ending, God did not care about such trivial things as fairness to human.

I think this guy's plan kind of poor in economic sense, though. That crapton of money is way too much even when split for hundreds of thousands. Splitting it among one million people might sounds 'safe' in concept, but that kind of money is way too much for anyone. A lot of people will do anything (even kill) to get that amount of money from their relatives, let alone the problem of inflation etc that will also follows. It is not really a safe plan even for him. The number is also sounds a bit too unrealistic for even US to pay (the author needs to reduce that number a little bit)

A safer plan might be something like taking only 10% of it for the JP bank accounts plan (after the split 100 mil yen is still more than enough for you and your family to live comfortably without it being too much), while the rest could be used in a way to benefit everyone, not creating calamity for global economy, and could prevent the plan from falling apart (e.g the congress decided that it was too much and forced Trump to abandon the plan). For example, make the winning country split half of the 90% to make a global fund to help underdeveloped countries or whatever -- with conditions that it needs to be directly managed by UN for example. The rest need to be given back to the winning country, by splitting the money to every adult in the country (with something resembling an UBI plan)

That way the move will be seen as a super generous move by the rest of the world, and reduce the chance for it to fell apart by making it a populist move in the winning country. You could also enjoy the feeling of playing God by forcing a breakthrough in economic equality without even using the book -- something that the original Kira could only dream of.

Also, would forcing the bid winner to discard the death note possible? Something along the lines of: Write the winner's name in the death note before sending send the book to him (since you can schedule it and the schedule will still stands even after you lose ownership), and wrote a 'reason of death' that will make the winner to do something that prevent anyone to ever get the book again as the aftermath (not sure if you can make it that detailed, it's been a long time since I read the OG DN). Yes you will kill someone (a president, to boost), but it will prevent a dystopian scenario where a superpower abused the power of death note to make the money you get in the end became worthless. You will ended up forgetting about it anyway.
Feb 5, 2020 4:31 PM

Feb 2017
the shinigami always pull some bullshit moves.
remember how L died ? i member.

everything is brain war and interesting world dynamic before shinigamis BS move.

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Feb 5, 2020 7:43 PM

Mar 2019
Minoru isn't some angel. He deserved to die.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Anime adaptation

Ayako_Rose - Apr 22, 2022

3 by SirRalphito »»
Jul 29, 2023 1:04 AM

Poll: » This "2nd season" wasnt necessary

ItzYaBoiSatan - Feb 9, 2020

21 by Frosty »»
Apr 6, 2023 9:38 PM

» Link for this one shot :)

sweet_hunnie - Jun 20, 2021

1 by removed-user »»
Jul 21, 2021 3:05 AM

» Why can't Ryuk just stole some apples tho?

KevinRin - Jul 21, 2021

0 by KevinRin »»
Jul 21, 2021 12:35 AM

» where to read

FUCKOFFBITCHHOEA - Jun 5, 2021

2 by KursedArcana »»
Jul 9, 2021 10:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.