Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 20, 2019 8:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah the series' finale. We got Akira's sister having some heart to heart talk with Haruo. She feels like a breakout character this season to me.

The game competition still feels similar to the previous seasons. Most importantly this episode is how Haruo feels about Akira after all the time they've spent together. Hidaka Koharu also plays an important role of a wingman by reminding Haruo the importance of her connection with Akira. A very emotional finale! The plane chase scene was epic.
Dec 20, 2019 8:28 AM

Dec 2017
wow, what an explosive and wholesome ending. the only question is what lies ahead? long distance relationships usually don't work out well...
Dec 20, 2019 9:23 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Great finale but I feel like this season was too short :( it finished so fast
Dec 20, 2019 4:29 PM

Feb 2017
Damn episode, a whole ride full of emotions, yes, I teared a little at the ending. What a wonderful anime, sadly the season ended with only 9 episodes.
I wonder if the manga spinoff about Hidaka will be animated someday.
Dec 20, 2019 4:55 PM

Nov 2010
Ignited by Hidaka, fueled by his mother, Haruo darted to the airport by the motorbike given him from Oono's sister, and "high score girl" has finished.
---
I'd like to watch:
  1. The expression of the voice actress when she won the most silent main character
  2. Anime version of "Misumisou"...
Dec 20, 2019 9:22 PM

Jan 2019
I'm surprised they gave Haruo and Akira this kind of "open ending", since there are a lot of future stuff that we don't (and won't) know. But meh, nice final episode, hope their relationship success lol.
Dec 21, 2019 1:52 PM
Feb 2013
Fantastic episode.
This show has become one of my favorites animes of all time, and I wasn't expecting anything.
I think that it is a love letter to the viewer, I liked every character , they felt so natural.
It's kinda sad to see this underrated gem being so unpopular.
Dec 21, 2019 2:09 PM
Dec 2018
great ending to a great series. for those unaware though, a sequel manga will be starting on December 25th 2019, called High Score Girl DASH, staring Hidika, now a middle school teacher at nearly 30 years old. I would expect Ono and Haruo to at least make some appearances (hopefully now married).
Dec 21, 2019 3:53 PM

Mar 2019
Kind of Funny episode... good way to end it...

PS: Hidaka Best Girl.
Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Dec 21, 2019 4:50 PM

Oct 2010
Holy hell, the musical score for this entire episode was beautiful and epiic. Really fantastic "ending". Haruo grew enough to do what 99% of anime protagonists never do lol. I do wish we could see more of their relationship but this ending was great.

I also think this anime has some of the best CG I've seen in anime. I very often forgot it was CG at all. I feel bad for Hidaka tho...she really is still best girl.

Also still waiting for MAL to fix the title for this franchise - the proper spelling is "Hi Score Girl", like how video games spelled it.
Dec 21, 2019 6:49 PM
Sep 2018
I've never been so cucked yet so happy at an anime ending I really hope theres more to come best anime this year
Dec 21, 2019 7:28 PM

Jul 2016
Very wholesome! Really want more.
Dec 21, 2019 7:53 PM

Aug 2014
The ring thing is stupid, but it made for a fun nostalgia-assisted rush to the cliche airport ending. And come on, I love silent Oono, but it would have been nice if she uttered at least a 'yes' at the end.
Sieg Zeon!
Dec 21, 2019 7:56 PM

Dec 2016
I was hoping that the show wouldn't go for the most obvious finale, but sadly it did. Everything was painted by the numbers, from Haruo losing and going thru a self pity stage to the last spur rushing towards the airport realizing his mistake for a last reuninon with Akira.

Wished Hidaka hadn't shown up in order to give Haruo the wake up call, either his mom or Makoto could had done that. I liked Hidaka back in S1 and Extra stage, but I felt that she was just too pushy and didn't know when to quit here in S2 despite previously having lost to Akira both in getting Haruo's heart and also in fighting games against Akira.

Overall it was a great series, I just feel disapointed for such an unnoriginal finale.
Dec 21, 2019 8:29 PM

Jan 2013
so that felt like a non-ending considering how abrupt it was
i was hoping Oono would finally speak a word tho lol
that last half of the episode was insane thanks to Hidaka snapping (wish video games could do that for me lol)
Dec 21, 2019 8:29 PM
Mar 2015
Best race to the airport ever Glad Hidaka gave him the final push despite what it cost her. The cheers of the gaming characters were hilarious
Dec 21, 2019 8:30 PM

Sep 2017
Wow is that really how it ends? I feel satisfied enough with how they resolved Hidaka's feelings, but that was a very cliche ending for Haruo and Oono. More importantly it feels so incomplete. Basically the finale is after 2 cours he finally confesses his feelings and that's it. We just have to imagine that they somehow meet up in the future. Idk not a huge fan of an open ended ending for this series.

I think if they literally gave Oono like one line after he talks about getting married that could have made it all worth it for me. As it is it feels like no payoff for her muteness the entire series and not a lot of payoff for their relationship finally coming together either.
Dec 21, 2019 10:07 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Wow, this was one fantastic finale episode!

Would've obviously preferred a bit more closure on the romance bit and things to play out less predictable as they did but no biggies at the end of the day.

Haruo's struggle after the clinching loss was spot-on, I reckon. Onee-chan did a great job holding back her tears though, laughed my arse off during that fake one however. She's been a glorious character from start to finish! But leave it to Hidaka to deal with the decisive blow, god that sure hurt though.

And that new look, she's looking to move forward I'm assuming...

Anyway, Haruo rushing to the airport scene was just fab, the music, VA and direction were just impeccable! Got to give it Haruo's mother as always too for always being a step ahead, meanwhile. Couldn't help but snort when that random guy's wig flew off though out of the blue xD.

Got to give it to those game characters too, those little cameos were amazing lol. And finally the ultimate scene! How lucky that the airplane came back as well, I wonder just how much damage those characters did lol. I'm surprised they're leaving Oono to go on the flight alone though, are middle-schoolers (I'm guessing that's what they're anyway) even allowed to do that?

I'm hoping for an OVA now to show a bit more of the future, preferably around the time of the supposed "marriage". Or maybe a MV like Tsuki ga Kirei's ED during the final moments of the last episode. Oono is just too sweet and that bit from older Oono whispering has to come true ffs! Go, go, Haruo!

Overall, this season has been fantastic too! Games, comedy and romance, simply great! Absolutely adore the ED theme too!

I'll give this a solid 8.50/10 and round it off to a 9!

I seriously need more of this...
_MushiRock11_Dec 21, 2019 10:39 PM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Dec 21, 2019 10:24 PM

Aug 2015
I feel like I won't be satisfied until they show us the happy ending with grown-up Haruo and Oono.
It's kinda disappointing to me that Oono and Haruo's relation takes two cours to get to where it is, though considering how supermassively dense Haruo is, it feels in character. Well, put another way, this is no KareKano. As a period piece, it definitely is game nostalgia-specific, outside of early episodes that reference other major events of the time period like the Gulf War and Neon Genesis Evangelion.
It was a long journey, and it ended up with a nice The Graduate ending (the dramatic mad scramble to get to the girl before she leaves) witout even the happy ending of The Graduate. I remember the feeling of a playmate moving away back in the 1990s, there was literally no way to keep in touch after that without a mailing address, it was practically death. We now live in a cyberpunk world of ubiquitous computing, which the 1980s and 1990s was only the natal stages of. The video game computers that form the background of Haruo and Oono's life are symbolic foundations of the computer power that makes today's networked world of privacy violation and data gathering a reality, and trivially easily to remain connected across geography.
Dec 21, 2019 11:35 PM

Oct 2017
Dang man this was a great finale. Hidaka is such a great girl, she gave him the final push to chase after Oono. The race till airport was amazing and their reunion was great. A great anime overall, sad that this is over.
Dec 21, 2019 11:56 PM

May 2015
HiScoreGirl in a nutshell:

he takes what he's lost and discards what he's won, he's every bit as alive as you and I
Dec 22, 2019 2:56 AM

Oct 2007
Strong final, thoroughly enjoyed it. Romcom of the season... me thinks ~

Talentz
Dec 22, 2019 4:15 AM
May 2017
Bad ending!

Great from 'High Score Girl' through 'High Score Girl: Extra Stage' to 'High Score Girl II'.

Hidaka deserves better. Best girl.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Dec 22, 2019 4:33 AM

Jul 2017
Haruo faces Oono once again in the finale of the overall series, albeit with a very different mindset and strategy this time.

But all that effort...is soooo wasted as their final showdown, guess that's all folks...or is it? The sense of loss sure can be devastating in one way or another, for the defeated Haruo both in-game and IRL, it's one BIG gap to cross.

Hidaka has grown a lot, but what's immense is learning Oono's intentions to finish what she had started, and also those hard-fought emotions and feelings for Haruo, that became her reignited catalyst in both games and love.

It's a WAKE-UP CALL, Haruo! To chase after the girl you love, don't leave those emotions hanging! Thank God you have a rival like Hidaka to push you to your limits! Nice cameos from all games to help achieve Haruo's goals! Chase her in that plane, WOW.

The reunion was all too great, but a LDR will not cause them to lose hope in both gaming and their inseparable love.

This battle isn't the end...it's only the beginning.

Spanning 10 volumes and 63 chapters, all that comes to a close as the anime wraps up the entire manga from start to finish. Close to perfect adaptation I'd call this, and a really nice finale. This series is absolutely fantastic given its runtime, and sad that it has come to an end.
Dec 22, 2019 4:48 AM
Jul 2018
I loved the ending! Yes Haruo will find a way to meet her. I absolutely loved Guile at the end saying now it's our turn to give back. Wouldn't have been a satisfying finale if games hadn't had a hand in it.
Dec 22, 2019 5:15 AM
Apr 2018
I love this anime so much! Sadly, this is the finale.

Gave it 8/10. I based it on the level of enjoyment and attachment I've felt throughout the series.
Dec 22, 2019 6:26 AM

Jan 2009
Last ep is probably the strongest one of the season, though everthing felt cliched as hell.

Hidaka best char by far.

I get it they want to show the relationship of Ono&Haruo growing through FGs and their "duel" bla bla bla, but you don't need 24 eps to narrate something so basic. It felt wayyyyy too long
Dec 22, 2019 6:43 AM

Dec 2015
1st season was great. 3 ova episodes were great. In season 2 it felt a bit repetitive ... with Yaguchi still caring a lot about the games - and taking some time until progress with the relationship between him and Oono had been made.

So this is a 8/10 for me only (previous ones were 9/10). The end was okay. I spoilered myself a bit in the manga ... felt better there than in the anime. Would have loved to see an epilogue or an announcement for a full future season. (Maybe future manga showing them in the future ... Yaguchi as game developer working and traveling on business to the US ... something like that.)

Liked that she didn't talk. But I would have liked to see the parents and some plot where Yaguchi gets the strict parents to accept him.
Dec 22, 2019 8:01 AM

Jul 2017
yoo, the author better be making a sequel manga smh
Dec 22, 2019 9:00 AM

Dec 2015
What a fucking amazing ending. I liked the first season a bit, but this season was on another level. It focused on everything great about the last season with really well execution. 8/10 and it might just get in my top 6 of this year
Dec 22, 2019 9:00 AM

Jun 2013
Then she goes to the US. Years go by. And she matures. And she realizes that real life is not a game. And she will find interesting americans men. And memories of Haruo fades away. And that's it.
Dec 22, 2019 10:23 AM

Jul 2017
High Score Girl has ended and overall, the series was solid yet slightly disappointing at the same time.

I really enjoyed the dynamics of the first season. The characters were unique, refreshing, likable and the throwback references to classic games which I enjoyed playing when I was younger felt special. It had a lot of innocence and charm.

Then there was the second season. Whilst I admire that it feels very different from the first one, and actually has a progressive narrative with an end goal in sight, I couldn't connect with any of the characters unlike the first season, especially with Hidaka. The matches too were not as fun and interesting as the first season, and the variety was restricted too. A lot of the aspects I loved about the first season fell short sadly this season. I will still say that the romance and love-triangle business in this season was not bad by any means, just had the potential to be a lot better.

The ending was good. A bit open ended and cliche (felt like I was watching Friends anime version), but they went for something explosive and intense which I appreciated. It definitely could have had a bit more just to wrap up the story well, but the passion that this showed definitely rejuvenated my spirit for the show by the end (even if the journey towards it felt more lackadasical than I hoped for).

Overall, this was a good 7/10 show. An 8.5 first season, with a 6 for the second season. It could have been better, but still, a solid romance nonetheless. Better than many mediocre and poor romance anime I've seen throughout my time.
Dec 22, 2019 10:49 AM

Mar 2016
I think it's dedication to its gaming theme and cultivating the feeling of the time period is what made this series so endearing. But this episode was incredibly dumb lol. Maybe that's the point but I don't think you can get more predictable than this. And for a show with a girl who doesn't talk there sure is a ton of monologues.

I feel like it lost itself in its own cliches as it got closer to the end. She loses in the tournament only to win, and then she leaves only to turn around and leave again. Seems unnecessarily roundabout. But I guess that's kinda fitting for what it takes to get through to Haruo.
syncrogazerDec 22, 2019 10:58 AM
Dec 22, 2019 11:29 AM

Aug 2018
While I enjoyed the first season a lot more, I feel this anime has a case of seasonal rot that killed itself with the cliches. Oh well.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Dec 22, 2019 2:42 PM

Mar 2013
Ashhk said:
Great finale but I feel like this season was too short :( it finished so fast
I feel the same. Woke up this morning & thought there were two episodes left. Not realizing I was watching the finale until I got on here,
Dec 22, 2019 4:23 PM
Jan 2016
Great episode, honestly!

Haruo bveing stubborn in the first half was really affecting me hard, i just wanted him to go!

And Hidaka, managed to open Haruo's eyes with her last battles and moments with Oono, besides being Oono's rival in love she helped Haruo to move and show Oono his feeling, seems giving back ring to Haruo was an invitation, and Hidaka help Haruo realizing that!

Damn that last moment were Haruo finally see Onoo was a explosion of feels, it was truly well direct, honestly, i cried watching that, he confessed her and even kinda proposed to marry her futurelly, it was truly painfull to watch! And also a good ending, cause i also glad he stopped being stubborn and confessed to her!

Overall, i loved this season, like the first one, even being diferent with ful cg, the direction is really wholesome!

I can't get more words to describe how wonderfull it was even being kinda sad, damn!

Open ending, i hope someday we could see a third season or ovas about their future!
Dec 22, 2019 6:21 PM

Apr 2011
Hidaka, you da real MVP!
Dec 22, 2019 9:56 PM

Jan 2017
Rod_Russ said:
Then she goes to the US. Years go by. And she matures. And she realizes that real life is not a game. And she will find interesting americans men. And memories of Haruo fades away. And that's it.

Your Johan avatar makes the tone of this post even better lol.

Pretty standard climax outside of my man jumping right to a marriage proposal lol, but I enjoyed it. The games helping his journey made me roll my eyes a little though.

EDIT: Now that we've reached the end and the manga seemingly followed the same trajectory, would anyone be so kind as to tell us about any interesting events in the manga that weren't adapted?
JGrdnsnDec 22, 2019 10:10 PM
Mendokusai
Dec 22, 2019 10:37 PM
Jan 2019
I cried with this final episode.
And I who at first doubted to see this anime for the style of animation, but I gave it a chance and I loved it. Definitely, watching this anime was not a mistake. I am proud to have followed him since the first episode. It became one of my favorite and most loved anime. It will always have a special place on my list. Games and romance, it was a good formula, enough to get excited, laugh and cry with this story. It was a real pleasure.
Dec 23, 2019 3:00 AM

Dec 2012
for the manga readers, how accurate of an adaptation would you say this was overall? from start to finish that is.

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Dec 23, 2019 5:23 AM

May 2015
This episode made me cry so much! And i felt so bad how they still decided to let oono leave the country. im gonna miss this show :(
My Candies:
Dec 23, 2019 6:58 AM
Nov 2019
Needs an OVA to finish this properly...

Oono should have whispered something unintelligible into Haruo's ear - just like in the ED.

I need the new "Hidaka Manga" to be picked up for my Hi-Score fix...

Scene with Hidaka's feelings of love for Haruo crashing & burning as she basically tells him to go after her was highlight of episode (rest seemed predictable - although I expected Hidaka to be the other Finalist and to beat Oono).
Dec 23, 2019 10:11 AM
Apr 2017
Infatuate said:
for the manga readers, how accurate of an adaptation would you say this was overall? from start to finish that is.

90% accurate. The OVA episodes cut the most content cause they covered a couple of volumes. Episode 8 of this season was actually the most anime original content. OVA 13-15 to the first half Episode 1 of this season covers volume 5-6. In fact the adaption is so accurate, that you can basically just take the dialogue from the manga and transplant it into the anime.
Dec 23, 2019 10:12 AM
Jul 2018
What a fantastic ending for the series. It's highly emotional but still cheesy and over-exaggerated, maintaining the series' spirit in a great way. The final scene ended in a kind of abrupt way and I wish it was longer, but I'm still satisfied.
Dec 23, 2019 11:40 AM

Jul 2017
Jesus fucking Christ... this episode, was a train of feels that i ABSOLUTELY LOVED TO RIDE. Yes, i cried, i fucking cried with this ending. It was, amazing, i have no words, i think it couldn't have ended any better than this.

This season was a superb improvement comparing to the first one. The development actually caught me by surprise. I already thought the 1st season was very good, but before, i wouldn't really think that High Score Girl would get SO damn engaging in the future tbh, i thought it would mantain what it did on the 1st season, and oh boy, how wrong i was! The character development was as solid as diamond, one of the factors that pulled me so much to love this show even more than i did before.

I am so grateful to have experienced High Score Girl. It was an absolute pleasure to encounter such a hidden gem.

8/10 1st season, a high 9/10 for the 2nd, totally well deserved for sure!
Dec 23, 2019 12:46 PM

Sep 2013
I thought she was gona say a word finally. Word being 'Yes' to his proposal. How do you decide not to do that lol.
Dec 23, 2019 1:12 PM

Aug 2013
That was one beautiful confession! And a really strong finale to this show.
I enjoyed it a lot! A 8/10 from me!
Dec 23, 2019 4:37 PM
May 2014
Not a big fan of this ending. Both characters just give up and everything is left to Haruo to make the final push who only does so after a kick in the pants (or slap in the face) from Hidaka. Since Akira accepted his proposal in the end and is going to have to stand up to her parents, she should have just stood up to them sooner when it really mattered.

I'd have preferred if after losing, Haruo gave up on his dumb pride and just confessed anyways and Akira accepts, then they confront her parents with help from Makoto, Moemi, and Jiiya. Hopefully we at least get confirmation they're married in DASH.

Overall I still really like this series. 9/10 for S1+Extra Stage and 8.5/10 for S2.
Dec 23, 2019 5:51 PM
Jul 2018
So it finally has ended cannot believe it.

I love this anime so much, this last chapter was a rollercoaster of emotions, it's been a while since I was this hooked to an anime, yes the finale is open for these two but I won't rest in peace until the best end is showed up like Guile said.
I would love to see just an extra chapter an OVA showing their reunion.
Dec 24, 2019 12:57 AM

Feb 2015
Thought the ending was too abrupt. Hidaka turns up with an awful haircut. Overall good series but could do with an epilogue episode.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » High Score Girl II Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 29, 2019

41 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 14, 2023 5:35 PM

Poll: » High Score Girl II Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 22, 2019

41 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 14, 2023 5:02 PM

Poll: » High Score Girl II Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 15, 2019

36 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 14, 2023 4:26 PM

Poll: » High Score Girl II Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 8, 2019

78 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 14, 2023 3:48 PM

Poll: » High Score Girl II Episode 2 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 1, 2019

29 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 14, 2023 3:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.