Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 21, 2019 8:04 AM

Nov 2018
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
For a movie so actionpacked, filled with easter eggs and millions of fanservice, it's surprisingly boring.

lol 99% fight scene, the first ten minute is the only non fight scene in the show
this is one disappointing movie. Conqueror Haki knocks out everyone except for the supernova, somehow nami is still awake.
Sep 23, 2019 3:27 PM

Jun 2019
this movie is a complete trash full of cliches + a underwelming finale.

1/5

I can't believe this movie has such a high score. The animation at least is nice but not that different from the main series.

Z is the best movie so far and you know it :)
Sep 24, 2019 2:32 PM

May 2017
what an absolute disappointment. No way in hell does Oda write these stories.

I had a ton of fun for the first 30ish minutes, everything started out as a promising movie. This movie had a vast character cast to offer from admirals to the worst generation, cipher pol and even parts of the revolutionary army. Everything looked and felt great as the movie kicked off with some fun and intriguing little skirmishes between the worst generation.

I say looked because the animation is undeniably the best part of this movie. The whole movie was filled with dynamic high frame action scenes. For a movie that consists of 90% fighting they sure did a great job at delivering a consistent high quality. They put a lot of work into the production for sure.

Then we jump to the next part where Bullet (?) came into the scene and pretty much demolished everyone without any problems and without even using his devilfruit powers.
Everything seemed great. The moment when Bullet grabbed onto Usopp was epic, yeah its a little cliche, something happens to luffy's nakama and he starts to rage. But I can't deny that it gets me hyped everytime, if done well.

everything just utterly collapsed as soon as Bullet started using his pathetic and boring devilfruit. Booohoo hes able to fuse and combine with everything around him or someshit. What an original idea. The fights became super and I mean SUPER dull. I just lost interest so quickly when it came to the interactions between Bullet and Luffy and co.

This movie just didn't have much to offer at this point. A super bland villain that only seeks destruction and the will to become the strongest man on the planet. Fucking hell who writes these characters? No way did Oda write this movie and even if he did, he must have rushed it so hard. This is not the one piece story telling that I am used to.

So yea luffy and co. fought the super bland uninteresting villain in a robot form which is just bad to begin with but they decided to go one step further and turn the robot into freaking CGI godzilla. That is when I actually became annoyed at what was happening in this movie and thought to myself "please roll the credits"

This movie just consisted of random fights and like people above me said the climax just feels so lackluster. The first 30 minutes were super promising and it could have been a great film for sure but the writing was just awful.
Sep 24, 2019 3:48 PM
Jul 2013
A good movie if you want some hype action scenes with lots of cameos and unlikely matchups / teamups with mostly great animation.

The story does fall flat after a while but it at least has a really solid setup.

It was likely just too crammed full with characters to have everything make sense, plus if you make a villain too strong for his own good you gonna run into problems.

It is still an enjoyable movie and you're gonna have a great time while watching it.
Sep 25, 2019 5:09 AM

Nov 2016
Watched it yesterday, cinema was pretty much sold out and most had a blast. Awesome movie. In terms of hype it was easily the best one to date. Granted, Bullet wasn't necessarily a good nor creative villain and the CGI doesn't really fit to One Piece, eben tho it looked actually nice.

Contentwise it was a treat, tho.

So many cameosor easter eggs, gags( running gags too), great character moments and pretty cool sakuga scenes.

Loved also the team up at the end. Imo this movie took some of the best elements One Piece had to offer and delivered quite a treat for all fans.

The Raftel=Laugh Tale pun was obviously the most interesting aspect.

And last but not least, Usopp the fucking mvp. Not just that he came in clutch, he fucking stood his ground as brave WARRIOR of the sea. He gave everything to protect Luffy and that part was really emotional. Great shit overall and I'm looking forward to the next movie.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 9, 2019 5:57 AM

Mar 2014
I have seem all the movies of One Piece! all of them!
and I can't really describe in words How I feel after this movie...
this might be their best movie, no kidding!
EVERYTHING WAS JUST SO FUKIN EPIC!
like SO MANY CHARACTERS are in this movie, this is just so awesome, and Varret's Abilities are something else, and I just When I thought I couldn't keep up with the fighting, each Fight had it's own Unique Style...
this movie is so good, so amazing, yet people still say it is a disappointment.

well, I HELLA ENJOYED IT!

10/10
ONE PIECE FOREVER!!!
Oct 24, 2019 7:11 PM

Dec 2014
FMmatron said:
Watched it yesterday, cinema was pretty much sold out and most had a blast. Awesome movie. In terms of hype it was easily the best one to date. Granted, Bullet wasn't necessarily a good nor creative villain and the CGI doesn't really fit to One Piece, eben tho it looked actually nice.

Contentwise it was a treat, tho.

So many cameosor easter eggs, gags( running gags too), great character moments and pretty cool sakuga scenes.

Loved also the team up at the end. Imo this movie took some of the best elements One Piece had to offer and delivered quite a treat for all fans.

The Raftel=Laugh Tale pun was obviously the most interesting aspect.

And last but not least, Usopp the fucking mvp. Not just that he came in clutch, he fucking stood his ground as brave WARRIOR of the sea. He gave everything to protect Luffy and that part was really emotional. Great shit overall and I'm looking forward to the next movie.

You said it all my man, I just got back from the theater and I had a great time and everyone there did too. Was sold out here too.

The movie is pretty much all fan service (not the kind we generally refer to in anime), you'll enjoy this movie as a fan for all it's cameos, diverse character cast and all the epic moments where characters team up.
I was cheering when Law, Boa , Sabo, Smoker and Crocodile all teamed for that final attack. So good.

The cameo sequences were all so well done and everyone cheered whenever there was a cameo of a fan favorite character.

Usopp's scene where he apologizes to Luffy for not being strong enough hit really hard. :(

Bullet probably could've been a better character, the plot wasn't the greatest thing to write home about but that's not the point of this movie. This movie is for the pure fun, the pure hype and the raw action that comes from seeing all these characters in one place.

The Raftel=LaughTale was very interesting and has me wondering if it really means something more, the Roger flashbacks don't indicate that but it's still intriguing.

I was genuinely sad that no one in the theater reacted to all the 'We Are' arrangements. I felt like the only one who was humming along whenever it played. Also, we didn't get enough Nami and Robin fan service but hey we got loads of other good stuff so I won't pry.
The final pre-credit Sabo + Ace scene was the best part of the movie and everyone in my theater started cheering and clapping. Such an awesome moment. XD

Production was incredible, fight sequences were just stunning and pure eye candy, makes you wish the series would always get the same treatment.

10/10, as an OP fan I enjoyed this with all my heart and I really can't ask for anything more from the OP movies.
Oct 24, 2019 10:20 PM
Mar 2019
This movie is a gift to the one piece fandom loved it and Boa mf Hancock is bae asf
Oct 25, 2019 2:52 PM

Jun 2019
I know absolutely nothing about One Piece but my friend asked me to go with him to see it in the theater so he wouldn't be alone. I enjoyed it overall. Wasn't the best thing I'd ever seen, though I'm sure I would have liked it more if I was a One Piece fanatic.

I don't think Bullet will be a memorable villain. He had no real interesting dialogue or moments like a Broly type.

Still the action was nice and I laughed a few times. First time I'd ever seen anime in a theater before so it was weird to be surrounded by my "brethren"
Oct 25, 2019 3:58 PM

Apr 2009
The plot wasn't anything special and while the villain was powerful Bullet was bland and uninteresting. There was sort of a McGuffin plot item that you know exactly what is going to happen to it as soon as it shows up, which made all the fuss over it lack any stakes. What the movie did well, however, was bring together a lot of familiar faces, some from recent arcs and some not seen in a long time, and it was a blast to see them fight and interact. There were also some pretty hilarious moments and great gags sprinkled throughout the flick.

So it was overall decent and I had a fun time, but I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to watch it a second time.

6/10
Oct 27, 2019 9:52 AM

Jul 2008
I give it an 8/10. The movie was pure fan service but still a lot of fun to watch.

But thing though....LAUGH TALE?!?!
Oct 28, 2019 5:26 AM

Aug 2010
I thought the film was a blast. The plot wasn't the best thing ever, but I'll admit, I'm a sucker for this kind of fanservice. I was surprised at the lack of Shanks and Jinbei though.

Animation was amazing.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Oct 30, 2019 7:43 PM

Jan 2016
Eh, it was okay? It's cool seeing so many characters but what's the point when almost no one really gets to do much, and the Straw Hats feel like side-characters? It was like Marineford again. Wapol and especially Buggy also got too much screentime.

I really loved the art and animation though. This was also my first time seeing a One Piece movie in a theater, so that was a treat.

Honestly, my favorite part was the first 5 minutes when they were showing the festival and all the characters there. Usopp also got some great scenes. That bit with Usopp carrying Luffy, that's the type of shit I watch One Piece for, not giant attacks.

Also I see the dub performances are still excellent.

5/10. Mostly for how wonderful the visuals were, and having Perona merits an instant point.
mintkatOct 30, 2019 7:51 PM
Oct 30, 2019 7:55 PM

Jan 2016
shayed__ said:
everything just utterly collapsed as soon as Bullet started using his pathetic and boring devilfruit.

I completely agree, the pacing came to a complete halt at that point.
Nov 14, 2019 11:30 AM
Feb 2016
watched today and had alot of fun.
definitely one of my favorite cinema experiences in my life without a doubt
the movies was action packed and characters packed as well.
it's diffidently for one piece fans only movie with amount of eastereggs and fan service in a positive way. got to see characters we dont see much any more
but story wise its not that good and as well as that villain wasnt that interesting.
but the one piece and the "laugh tale " was great. honestly been enjoying the latest one piece movies and waiting for the next one for sure
Nov 17, 2019 2:52 AM
Aug 2018
As a fan of One piece I would say this movie was just alot of fun and getting to see all the characters come into one movie was to me awesome! Yes I would go watch it again and in dub because I wanted to have fun with this movie and it was which is a big plus.

Also seeing Boa Hancock being a badass was great and her love for Luffy is cute. If only Luffy and Hancock were a couple in the future....
Dec 6, 2019 3:10 AM

Apr 2013
yeah dream team battle, but why the villain always became humongous? it ruins the fighting scene
Jan 5, 2020 10:53 AM

Oct 2017
Now this was an amazing movie full of action. Like 90% of this was just battle royal full of fight scenes. Bullet was a really opaf villain with an amazing ability but getting bigger makes you stronger was never my thing so I didn't really like that much but still the fight was great.

Got to see some old faces like Perona, Bartolomeo, Cavendish, Tashigi, Smoker and ofc Hancock, so that was great. Really love to watch Hancock being crazy over Luffy.

Usopp was really great, that scene when he was carrying luffy was pretty emotional. But that last scene where that girl made a copy of Ace and both Sabo and him used fire fist was just damn great.

Overall pretty amazing movie. Tbh enjoyed this even more than some of the recent episodes of main series.
Jan 5, 2020 1:42 PM

Jul 2014
Im usually a big fan of hype battles and anime movies having them but this just didnt feel that hype inducing for me, I can see OG OP fans loving the shit out of this tho cause a lot of cameos from characters like Boa, Croc, Smoker, Tashigi and the other admirals etc, this probably relied more on the nostalgia factor and not the story nor the main villain being good cause story wise and the big bad were bland af.
Jan 8, 2020 7:02 AM

Oct 2015
For anyone who's been waiting for months to finally see it, just like me: It's finally up on the internet with relatively good quality (during fights it's still pixelated tho...), and the english translation is just okayish quality.

It was a good movie to watch. I have been wondering if this movie would be canon, since Oda wrote the story. Now I'm pretty sure it's not. It's pure fanservice. Thank god not the echi kind, but the allstar one. It would be impossible to have this movie canon because of all the appearing characters who should be elsewhere, but Bullet as a character is canon as far as I know.

Had I not been spoiled, it would have been amazing to learn that the last island's name is Laugh Tale, and the eternal pose thing was interesting, too.

Usopp had some role in this movie, which is nice.

Festa seemed like an useless antagonist. Basically he was only included in the plot, because... Well, try to imagine a top-wanted knucklehead trying to successfully organize a pirate festival for fun. Festa could have been so much better imo. His only role was to organize the festival. Literally nothing else. Maybe it's because the bad subs I found him so bad.

The fight was good, too. So Luffy can just create a fist as big as he can, I guess. I was curious how he would call it. I was... somewhat disappointed. King king king kong gun? I seriously can't think of a better name for it, but there must be a better name.
Also that king kong gatling seemed like just some kong gatling, but fiiine.

Overall, yeah, enjoyable. I probably enjoyed it as much as Z and Strong World, but I expected it to be even better. Luffy's giant arm was epic, though.
Jan 14, 2020 5:49 AM

Dec 2011
Finally get to watch it and so much fanservice in this movie. I knew the moment that the treasure was revealed what it is that Luffy will most certainly break it lol and I love the scene of Sabo & Ace at the end..
Jan 14, 2020 5:51 AM

Jul 2016
So many cameos from as many characters as they can include in this movie.Too bad that means that flashiness is valued above story.Pretty sure it would be a different story if i saw it at a cinema.
Jan 19, 2020 6:23 AM

Dec 2014
Nice to see so many characters together... it was nice to see it all...typical luffy breaking it in the end
Jan 26, 2020 9:44 AM

Mar 2016
Ah, this movie is true eye candy, even when compared to the previous 2 One Piece movie with an already outstanding artistic quality and animation quality, this stands on top, mainly for the new art style and the great use of the well improved 3D graphics. The colours are vigorous, typical of One Piece and the animation is more or less smooth with some scenes being really magnificent.

Not the same can be said to the story, Bullet was not that much of a villain besides being some dude who used to be one of Roger's crew member. His motivation, no matter how they tried to make it seem 'serious' is just that. Not really that intriguing. Besides that, some new characters that are introduced are never actually used for real but fuck it, there're tons of reference and easter eggs showing the past characters and I really like that aspect.

This movie is not supposed to have the same kind of impact as Film Z has, or as much grandiose as Film Gold does. However, with almost 2 hours of just pure hand to hand, meat to meat, giant enemy and a group team-up of the most unthinkable combinations, I really enjoyed this movie. I just really love the activity going on, it's really fun to watch. In addition, I also love the extra bits of Roger's history here too. I will always love to know about how the pirate king acts and travel about. Seeing Luffy smash the eternal pose like a badass near the end is an excellent point to indicate that the battle is over. And our lovely brave warrior of the sea, GOD USOPP HAS SINGLE HANDEDLY DEFEATED EVERYONE INT HE ISLAND
Jan 26, 2020 10:30 PM
Jan 2018
I genuinely had Broly vs Z Fighters vibe during the entire movie I couldn’t help but smile. The lack of plot was a bit disappointing considering it’s One Piece but they definitely made it up with top notch action, which is something One Piece usually lacks in comparison to other battle Shounen.
Jan 27, 2020 2:22 PM
Jul 2018
Pure fanservice. This movie was meant for hardcore One Piece fans. Zoro vs Fujitora? With the latter alongside Dracule Mihawk showing up for a moment for one badass scene then dipping soon after? Rob Lucci and Crocodile? The 'dream' team? All the supernovas in one setting fighting an infamous all-powerful ex-roger pirate dude? Buster call? Laugh Tale's Eternal log pose? Nani? What's going on?

I can immediately see the movie for what it is; a jumbled mess of chaos, a good kind of chaos. I truly enjoyed the action and animation. From the start of the movie until its end, not a single moment went by without something exciting happening. Snakeman Gear 4 against Bullet was interesting to watch. This dude tanked it and came out relatively unharmed and defeated all the Supernovas present on his own. Bullet cemented how strong he is at this point.

While the action is thrilling, the music is classic and fantastic, and the animation is top-notch, the story is way too flat. The villains aren't even memorable. Bullet is only memorable due to his strength and his presence. His whole character is extremely bland. He is just another dude who doesn't believe in friendship and wants to be powerful on his own. A perfect determination motive for Luffy. As for the second villain, he is so irrelevant that I am struggling to even remember his name even now. Fiesta I believe? Nonetheless, the whole movie was intended to please the hardcore fans first and foremost. The other small details are buried under the sand.

It is immensely enjoyable but that's about it. I still prefer the other big movie titles that came prior to it.

Mar 9, 2020 6:23 AM

Oct 2019
Fun movie, really brings back nostalgia with older characters appearance, they even made the dead fire bro appear for a cameo. Also ofc Luffy would refuse anything that would potentially make the show end and prefer another 1000000 more episodes by destroying this plot item that guide to One Piece. Heh.

7/10
Mar 14, 2020 7:54 AM

Jan 2013
Just saw it in movie theaters.

Amazing movie, it was fun to see all those characters we've met over so many years come together.
I kinda figured he'd destroy the Log Pose, typical Luffy thing to do, he doesnt want to cheat his journey :)

OGAnime said:
I genuinely had Broly vs Z Fighters vibe during the entire movie I couldn’t help but smile.

Kinda got the same vibes, not to say it was bad though.

The fights were amazing, the funny parts were on point and the bad guy was alright, not going to be memorable but that goes for pretty much every movie villain.
Even if it was just fanservice, it being non-canon, it was really enjoyable, was nice seeing them fight together against Bullet.
Even my sister who barely knows anything about One Piece and wouldnt want to watch the show had a blast :D

9/10
Mar 15, 2020 11:23 PM

Sep 2018
That was jam packed full of action with some quality animation to boot. Loved seeing most of the big names all together at one place, fun little cameos between characters. I had no problem with the story, couldn't care less if it's cliched or unoriginal, it treated us well with loads of fanservice. 9/10
Mar 17, 2020 4:03 PM

Feb 2010
Better than Film Gold but not as good as Z, villain was tough but his motivations were bland and his massive form was kinda lame.
Mar 19, 2020 3:50 PM

Jun 2011
I can't get over how beautiful the final Sabo/Ace scene was.. it reminded me of Ace's death and the reality that you can't go back in time to revert all of that, and tears just fell down of my cheeks. Everything about that scene from Kizaru attacking the pirate fleets, Sabo creating a flame wall, Luffy brightening up as he found out who did that, to Sabo's farewell to Luffy was just perfection!

That said the movie definitely lacks substances, I totally get what people were saying when they said this was just a fanservice movie to celebrate 20th year of One Piece, it was exactly just that and it was nice. A lot of Zoro and Sanji's clashes with past characters were pretty sweet, even though we don't get to see any fight at all which is fine. Speaking of fight, even though the moments were pretty nicely hyped, it's really lacking in good choreography.

Couple of my favorite moments from the movie:

• Luffy using Haoshoku Haki to respond to Bullet's own HH blast
  • Mihawk helping out Zoro with the meteorites
  • Usopp's contribution to the fight, unrealistic as it may be
  • Of course the whole Sabo/Ace thing

As for the rest of the supernovas, it's cool to see them again, but considering what's happening with them in the current storyline, it's interesting to see them interact with each other that way. Just something fun in an alternative timeline with this movie.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 22, 2020 10:55 PM
Aug 2015
This movie was a total fanservice *-*
Even Ace made an appearance at the end of the show (it was just a hologram but it still gave me a goosebumps).
Everyone was participated in the final fight, and I love it.
renzosparkMar 23, 2020 10:13 PM
Mar 22, 2020 11:07 PM

Dec 2013
A lot of fanservice in this movie with so many characters having their own little moments.

Although I thought Bullet was a lot more impressive when he wasn't using his DF. Bullet taking on the worst generation with his fists was so much fun to watch but then everything slowed down when he used his boring powers.

Still a really enjoyable movie.
Mar 24, 2020 3:10 AM

Aug 2012
First of all, I counted ten Pandaman throughout the movie, but were there more?

If you look at this as like an actual movie, it's kind of awful. It's 90% fight scenes, mostly with Douglas Bullet, and it's not really that good of a fight either. Like the beginning of it's great, Douglas vs. all the Supernovas truly feels like One Piece's answer to the original Broly fight, except more kinetic and it wasn't as one-sided so a bit more engaging. But once his Devil Fruit powers get going, Douglas becomes surprisingly passive, just content to wait to challenge the Buster Call which fair enough makes sense with his character but the dramatic tension is then on the heroes defeating him before the Buster Call comes, we're even given a time limit for how long until it starts. Five minutes I believe and of course it's Namek, they don't mean anything close to five minutes. At that point, Godzilla form Bullet just serves as an excuse to see heroes team up, and a hilarious moment where Luffy kinda just flies into his punch. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed seeing these characters team up and take on this Goliath but it doesn't so much feel like a battle, it feels like an excuse to gives these characters there moment. Then when we return to Luffy vs. Bullet in the final encounter, my god is it bad. Okay, in fairness Luffy's giant punch was awesome, and I liked that they redid the "Punch the Colour" out of him trick from movie 6 (the best one) because while returning to that well too much would be an issue, it felt appropriate here but aside from that it was dull and poorly directed. The constant cuts between Luffy and Bullet's while they raging and it's zooming in and out on their eyes was cringing, and they did that constant cuts between them multiple times in the final encounter, and just felt excessive. Like they were trying to hype up the attacks and awesomeness of the two warriors and it just made it seem less cool. Kudos for having a character moment in here, but Douglas' character arc and the theme is pretty banal and I'd rather have it nothing I suppose, but it wasn't emotionally effective. Though thematic, I like that it wasn't just Luffy saying Friends are important and beating him on his own, Usopp's earlier attacks destroying his mecha as a result of Luffy's attack activating them was a great way to express that and made a nice callback for Usopp's earlier line (and gave resolution to Usopp's earlier regret telling Luffy he shouldn't be on the crew because of how weak he is). Buena Festa on the other hand, is an awful villain, with a stupid childish motivation for his evilness and is not worth writing a second sentence about. Also, Godzilla Bullet meshed horribly with the animation. On it's own, the CGI looked cool but once it had to interact with anything else, it looked pretty jarring and awful. The scene where Buggy is complaining while the broken off hand is falling down "towards" him was awful both visually and because I had to listen to Buggy. He remained a mostly annoying character in this film and the scene where he ran from it was equally ear-grating. On the plus side, Foxy, who I normally hate more than anyone on One Piece, was used fantastically here. He only ever appeared in very brief intervals, and always quickly turned into a joke about how much he sucks. Foxy was legitimately one of my favourite things in this movie, even though I groaned every-time I saw him.

So yeah, it was mostly just action sequences, kinda sub-par with a bland villain and rote themes that doesn't really have any real substance to them, and some jarring CGI but that's if you're just looking at this like an actual movie. But it's not. Or at least, it's not meant to be, it's meant to be a celebration of One Piece. It's just an excuse to cram as much fanservice in as possible, and give all the characters one little moment to shine, and I had a blast watching it. I did think the fight with Godzilla Douglas got a bit dull and lasted too long at the end there for the most part, but otherwise, it was just really fun to see so many of my favourite characters pop in and do something cool. Crocodile's always been one of, if not my favourite One Piece Villain, so I was really pleased to see his quick interaction with Robin and then find out he basically devised the blue-print to how to defeat Law. Lucci's another favourite and seeing him destroy that arm, really cool. Perona's appearance was great, I loved when Zoro cut the meteor in half, saving nothing in the process, and then Mihawk destroys it. Even for those who I'm not as fond of, Boa's moment was awesome, Hina effortlessly taking out that pirate shouting "Suck it Marines" while she was talking to Smoker was hilarious, Sanji intercepting Lucci was great, I loved Robin giving the Shark Submarine wings. Of course, Luffy got plenty of cool moments, Snakeman being my favourite probably. Honestly, the split second with Nami using Zeus was awesome for me since I just finished reading the Whole Cake Island arc.

And it wasn't just a celebration in the sense of bringing in a bunch of characters and having them be awesome, it was a celebration in the music. Obviously "We Are!" was going to play, but the scene with Usopp & Luffy where they started playing an instrumental version of "Memories" , the first ED, really hit me, like damn that's nostalgic. That whole scene was great by the way, probably my favourite in the movie, because I felt for Usopp in that moment, it was the part of the film that did feel like there was emotional depth. Stuff like Usopp saying "the guy was so afraid of him he ran away" was both a funny boast and an emotional wringer because he's not lying to get out of fighting, he's lying to try and protect Luffy. The whole thing with him trying to stop the burning fire log from collapsing on Luffy, ah, just great stuff. But this whole thing leads me into the other way it's a celebration, and that's in how it correlates so many moments and arcs from the series into itself. Usopp's feelings here evoke back to Water 7 when his inferiority complex ended up driving a wedge between them (though it's handled differently), the flying penguin and water stream brings back memories of Skypiea, a lot of Douglas Bullet's backstory (the Impel Down escapee who tangled with Garp & Sengoku) is reminiscent of World's backstory, there's the aforementioned colour punch one moment, the whole premise of the Eternal Pose to Laugh Tale (that was a shock after calling it Raftel for so long) treasure is by design the show's core premise boiled down in a single movie, and who didn't know Luffy was going to smash it after he yelled at Usopp when he tried to ask Rayleigh for the location of the One Piece (and I loved that Usopp just laughed it off as expected when finding out at the end). And this doesn't really correlate to anything, but having the final bit of celebration being the Fire Fist blast with Luffy seeing Sabo and an illusion of Ace, essentially Luffy's past sending him off into the future, was a pretty touching was to end the movie, and very fitting for a celebration as it correlates to the series having spent this move reflecting on it's 20 years (in terms of the anime anyway) and now is ready to move forward to the future.

To be honest, I'm a bit conflicted on whether to give this a 7 or an 8. Because yeah, I had a blast while watching it, the animation was consistently great though I do think the CGI mixture was pretty bad at some points, and it achieved mostly everything it wanted to. On the other hand, the plot is bare bones mostly just action, the two villains aren't interesting and are more of a knock on that film than a positive, and the final fight was lackluster for me outside of Usopp's moment, it wasn't a satisfying resolution. It's a close 8 but I'm going to go with a 7, partly because of that damned other hand I mentioned but mostly because I feel like movies like this are designed for a singular viewing experience. I don't know, I just think in repeat viewings, the negatives will still be there, while seeing all my favorites do something cool will lose it's impact. So many will still absolutely hold in future viewings, like Usopp's attack on the mecha since that was seeded well in advance in the story (pun very much intended, thank you very much) but most of the moments weren't planted like that although hard to imagine the meteorite scene ever not being awesome. Admittedly, if the final blow-out between Luffy & Bullet was down better, I probably would've given it an 8 easily but still. Regardless, well worth the time of any big One Piece fan, hard to imagine it'll have much worth to anyone else. Definitely one of the best One Piece movies regardless.
Mar 24, 2020 11:51 PM

Jan 2010
Loved it. It had a different format - not much of a story, but a lot of humor and character fan service. I laughed my ass off whenever Buggy was on screen, he's such a star! Even Foxy appeared, but he didn't get much screen time.

I loved the little details and character interactions, like when Croc called Robin "Miss All-Sunday". It also warms my heart to see cool characters like Perona again. And that one near the end really made me tear up ...

Honestly I'd enjoy a movie where everyone is just chilling at an island resort, doing their own shenanigans.
(|__/) Never give up, aim for the top!
(='.'=) Top wo nerae!
o(")(") Anime music: http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=777199
Apr 4, 2020 3:09 PM

May 2014
The story itself is actually fine. The animation was good to begin with. In fact, everything was okey until the fight started. When he became a Godzilla monster, I were like come-on. This is exaggerated and not good. The director, imo, should understand that Marvel + Toei animation = not a good idea. CG-animation doesn't suit an anime that has always had classic animation. The same thing with Broly movie, DB, the CG-animation really didn't suit it.

On the positive side, we saw many villain that we have seen very less of. Every member of the worst generation were on that island and had a contribution in defeating the anime. That was cool. The OSTs was also nice. Many of the old classic OP OSTs made in a new way, which is really cool.

There were hardly any character developement, so I can't say anything about that. The antagonist, MV, stayed the same throughout the movie. The other character didn't change a bit. Hardly any developement to talk about.

I really enjoyed the comedy part of the movie, but GOD DAMN the animation of the fight was bad. When I say bad, I mean really bad. Please Toei don't use CG-effects on any further movies. It really doesn't suit Japanese animation. This is not Marvel or Disney, so please stay to the classic.

With that said, it's hard to give the movie a score higher than 4-5/9.
Apr 6, 2020 9:41 AM

May 2015
"How many characters are you going to include?"

Stampede: "Yes."
Apr 7, 2020 4:28 PM
Sep 2010
plot wise this movie is nothing special, its just a guy who wants to wipe out his rivals so lures them into a trap and spendsan hour fighting them. if you go into it with that kind of view you're probably not going to have a good time

but for mega fans of the series (like myself lol) this is pure glorious action packed fan service and it is amazing.

loved every second 5/5
Apr 10, 2020 6:15 PM

Dec 2015
Huge production bad movie...
Apr 13, 2020 4:33 AM

Apr 2013
The story seemed like something straight out of a bad fanfic somebody wrote. "So the Strawhats will be invivted to a pirate festival, because that never happened in another movie before, right? And then eeeeeeeveryone will make an appearance, no matter if they contribute literally nothing to the story. The big baddie will have to be strong, so we make him one of Roger's crew or something. His motive will be uhm... he just wants to be the strongest I guess, who cares. And his haki will be suuuuper goood and later he fuses into that huuuuuuge mecha. And in the end all the fan favourites will join forces to defeat him, isn't that like super cool?"
Only that this is an official movie with a story like that. At least the animation was nice, but the story was super trash.
Apr 15, 2020 11:30 AM

Apr 2014
It has a little bit of everything that you like about One Piece, and when I said a little bit I mean a tiny bit, a really really tiny bit, which is the biggest problem.
it has 3 times the amount of character cast in Film Gold but with less duration, you'll get reference to the stuff that already happens in the main story as part of its selling point like Usopp in W7 losing money, Smoker team up with pirate, Sabo helping Luffy, Hancock saving Luffy, Buggy got caught in action etc etc and thats about it, there is literally no new thing introduced in this movie.

There's really nothing so bad that it infuriates me but it's just so mediocre.
Even if try to enjoy this as a popcorn flick movie it's really hard to get impressed because the cinematography is so shit, the worst I've seen out of all OP movie. It's just a bunch of close-ups with lot of high speed action going that makes it really hard to follow what the fuck is going on.

Going by how the movie didn't use 'Film' in its title I'll just assume that Oda is not as involved in this movie as much as the 'OP Film' movie series, hence the quality.

All in all I would give it 6/10
Apr 15, 2020 8:41 PM

Feb 2015
This movie is a great fan service, I’m not gonna name the characters that appear in the film because they’re a lot, between pirates, marines and revolutionaries. You could actually pause the initial scenes and discover lot of characters from past arcs. And I think that’s the strongest point of this, right now we’re in the Wano Arc or around, so, a lot of characters got out of sight, however, Smoker and Sabo had a kind of relevant role here, its good and nostalgic the interactions that we remembered with this. Buena Festa wasn’t bad, I understood that he wanted to create a new pirate era to finish the era that Roger started when he died, Festa kinda hated him, but I didn’t understand him completely. I don’t know what to think about Bullet, he was such a disproportionate character, he was too strong, then he became unstoppable, and then Luffy defeated him in a 1v1 battle outside the machine, when he clearly demonstrated that he was superior in the beginning, but I think that the movie was created as a fan service and not to analyze the power scales. The animation was beyond great, I found no flaws, the character designs and the battles OMG, the battles were amazing, so fluid, with impact and fast movements. In the end, I think this was a good movie, not better than Strong World, that I think is the best because has a better impact, at least in Nami.
Apr 27, 2020 9:24 PM

Sep 2011
As someone who has followed One Piece, I would say this movie is a disappointment. The content is predictable and weird. The pacing of the show is not only rushed but it felt like a last-minute written script. The only redeeming element in this entire show is the battle scenes in the first half of the movie. Other than that, everything else is mediocre.
Apr 30, 2020 5:22 AM

Nov 2013
It's so sad to see how Sanji ended up becoming such an unimportant character as a fighter in this series. I would normally expect Sanji to be the one having those scenes with super speed running and kicking that Boa Hancock had in this movie. Intercepting Lucci was nice, but the fact that he didn't have a full fight shows how the writer doesn't want him to have any spotlight as a fighter anymore.

“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
May 5, 2020 4:55 PM

Nov 2014
I think this is the worst one piece movie to date

May 5, 2020 10:34 PM
Aug 2011
enjoyed the film a lot , but the giant mecha was boring . honestly should of just scrap that idea and have bullet go hand to hand fight
May 19, 2020 1:05 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Gee, that was one heck of a fan-service movie! Truly, how fitting for it to be the 20th Anniversary Project of the Anime.

Poor and predictable storyline coupled with a plethora of cliches thrown in but honestly, it didn’t faze me much. I feel like this movie wasn’t exactly trying to tell a story but just entertain us and, in that respect, this was a total blast!

Animation Quality was simply breathtaking throughout the movie. Sakuga at its finest, really. Even the 3D bits didn’t feel jarring in the slightest. Action scenes all had that flair to hook you in right away, additionally. To sum it up, it was glorious and just the perfect treat for the occasion!

But that’s not all! Heck, iconic characters even make an entrance. Fudge me, even Ace! I can not even begin to express how beautiful that whole scene was featuring him, Sabo really knows his stuff lol. Sabo, Lucci, Sakazuki and Croc were pleasant surprises too.

Moreover, the Sound Department rocked too! As if this has ever been a problem for the series in the first place but it was really exhilarating and fitting, to say the least. Pretty cool ED theme there too, by the way! Definitely helped to beautify the Ace (transformation) scene.

On to the minor downsides now. In addition to what I mentioned earlier in the 2nd paragraph, the villain(s) for the movie were really weak quite admittedly. It was interesting what Luffy’s grandfather revealed but not overly amusing and unsurprising too, for that matter. Kind of like Promare’s villain, really - just a tool to bring out some heroics from the main cast, that’s all.

Man, more Boa Hancock scenes are just totally up my alley xD. My favourite OTP of the series by far and one of favourite in the medium all-time as a matter of fact, so that’s a given I suppose. Didn’t know she was this strong though but it’s an alternative story after all so taking the power levels seriously would be a joke.

Smoker, Law, Sabo and that whole group in the end really meshed in amazingly. God, I wish to see this one day in the main series somehow lol. Too bad Kidd and the other “Worst Generation” Caps missed out on this. Surprised with the lack of Jinbei, Shanks and Blackbeard in this though, I must say. I was expecting to see them pop out of the blue at one point but sadly not.

Sanji and Zoro stopping the Lucci and Croc respectively was one of the hype moments of the movie for me, personally. Again, goes to show how incredible this tight-knit group is I suppose.

Luffy demolishing the hunt without second thoughts was hilarious. But totally a very Luffy-thing to do, at the same time. I wonder if that was Dragon and Gol D. Roger talking at the end of that scene (right after the theme song) though, could this be leading up to something that’s to come in canon events? Oh boy, I can’t wait to find out if it is indeed the case!

Damn, Usopp's tearful and apologetic scene though. Jeez, that really touched my heart. Awesome assist at the nick of the moment there too!

As such, I’m going to settle with a solid 8/10 for this. I happen to be a fan of the series and this movie really clicked a lot of the boxes that I didn’t even realise I wanted. Plus, it was bloody enjoyable. Hence, a fair reflection of my experience I concur.

I’m aware of the success that this movie managed to pile up both locally in Japan and outside, and all I have to say is that it’s very well-deserved.

Edit: I totally forgot about Buggy, lmfao. Nice to see him being as useless as ever...
_MushiRock11_May 19, 2020 10:36 PM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jun 3, 2020 2:00 AM

Jan 2013
As cool as it was to see all those characters that have been out of the picture for a long time, the movie itself just wasn't that good.

It has a little bit too much of that "everybody's here!" shit. It doesn't really make sense for some characters to be there, so it ends up being non-sensical.
Jun 3, 2020 4:08 PM

Feb 2013
We don't need any shortcuts!
It was super great.
Jul 1, 2020 9:16 AM
Sep 2012
wow I feel like people had really high standards/expectations for this. the movies are never gonna be as good as the main series. I loved it for what it was, fan service extravaganza and I really enjoyed all those cameos, not a lot of characters were missing **!!!! 10/10 *
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» This movie was weak

scabab - Apr 23, 2020

15 by YoshiYogurt »»
Apr 10, 9:40 PM

» Streaming now on HBO Max

JohanJ04 - Mar 21, 2022

0 by JohanJ04 »»
Mar 21, 2022 6:28 PM

» How was the Movie?

Ammerx - Aug 10, 2019

19 by mangalicker94 »»
Sep 6, 2020 5:46 AM

» Will this film be CGI?

shizaman - Apr 11, 2019

2 by mangalicker94 »»
Apr 4, 2020 3:18 PM

» Review-bombed?

Scodz - Sep 7, 2019

15 by Mister-Man »»
Dec 26, 2019 9:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.