Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 9, 2019 11:21 AM

Mar 2016
XinonEclipse said:
They explain nothing. All they say is, "it's magic , get it? Of course you do! Let's fight now"

I don't see the problem, everything in the show indeed exists because of magic, and the background was explained, with visuals even. As for more plot specifics and mechanics, it's not the anime's fault you can't use some imagination, or put some things together on your own, until the second episode, which judging from the preview is probably going the typical route of explaining some more things, with the characters in the normal world.

But don't wait for the second episode, just keep complaining about the first episode not being complete because that makes a ton of sense.
syncrogazerJul 9, 2019 11:31 AM
Jul 9, 2019 12:49 PM

Nov 2014
syncrogazer said:
XinonEclipse said:
They explain nothing. All they say is, "it's magic , get it? Of course you do! Let's fight now"

I don't see the problem, everything in the show indeed exists because of magic, and the background was explained, with visuals even. As for more plot specifics and mechanics, it's not the anime's fault you can't use some imagination, or put some things together on your own, until the second episode, which judging from the preview is probably going the typical route of explaining some more things, with the characters in the normal world.

But don't wait for the second episode, just keep complaining about the first episode not being complete because that makes a ton of sense.

With imagination I can imagine that my glass of milk is an elixir of immortality. Imagination doesn't do a bit of good if it isn't backed by at least a little bit of reason, and this show doesn't give you a reason to imagine anything, as it neither hints at something or explains something
Jul 9, 2019 2:27 PM

Mar 2016
XinonEclipse said:
as it neither hints at something or explains something

The real world and fiction aren't the same thing my friend. Your glass of milk has no mystery surrounding it, and the importance of its existence as a plot point certainly isn't going to be revealed after the next chapter, or episode, comes out. But again, keep complaining that the magic is magic, and 5 minutes of infodump is somehow not enough to get a sense of what is going on. I honestly hope they never explain how the magic 'works' because it doesn't matter.

If you watched the episode you'd know that they are fighting over who will have the responsibility of safeguarding all the magic that once existed in the world, the inner-workings of this perhaps occur through some sort of system that is somehow embedded in the world/their bloodline/the moon or whatever, but they haven't explained it yet because it's the fucking plot of a multiple episode TV series.
syncrogazerJul 9, 2019 3:57 PM
Jul 9, 2019 8:54 PM

Jan 2013
Love the Ryu Knight and NG Knight designs.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jul 10, 2019 8:02 AM

May 2019
masterP said:
I enjoyed the first episode and am thrilled for more. I guess the bad score comes from people disliking that there wasn't really an introduction?

That and this site is full of filthy casuals who can't appreciate mecha
Jul 11, 2019 3:54 PM
Dec 2018
IAintAllBad said:
So she gets trapped inside this giant robot thing, has no clue what to do, is told that robot is her "heart", and then suddenly and OUT OF THIN AIR she becomes a pro and beats the green girl with Dragon-ball-screams-style and one blow?
Miss me with the bullshit.
Imma still give it a few other eps tho for the benefit of the doubt.

But she doesn't become a pro though
That right there looks to be the very definition of beginner's luck; it seems that the magic being used is strongly tied to emotions. As you can probably imagine, our MC is scared out of her mind and on what is likely the most intense adrenaline rush of her life thus far. It's not hard to imagine that she basically turned into a cornered animal and used something she barely understood to defend herself. That's what I chalk this up to anyway.
Jul 11, 2019 4:01 PM
Dec 2018
DonTrumpolino said:
I just read the synopsis for this anime and why does it have to be germany again? Yes, the Grimm books and some medieval history created a great amount of publicity for witchcraft, but it has become so cliché over the time... Why not use the ancient magic from greece where it originated or any other country for a change?

I think part of it might be the magical aesthetic. A lot of people thoroughly enjoy the German fairy tale/magic aesthetic, or just the medieval German aesthetic in general. Also, it seems that there are quite a lot of people who don't really like new and original things.
Jul 11, 2019 4:33 PM
Dec 2018
syncrogazer said:
XinonEclipse said:
as it neither hints at something or explains something

The real world and fiction aren't the same thing my friend. Your glass of milk has no mystery surrounding it, and the importance of its existence as a plot point certainly isn't going to be revealed after the next chapter, or episode, comes out. But again, keep complaining that the magic is magic, and 5 minutes of infodump is somehow not enough to get a sense of what is going on. I honestly hope they never explain how the magic 'works' because it doesn't matter.

If you watched the episode you'd know that they are fighting over who will have the responsibility of safeguarding all the magic that once existed in the world, the inner-workings of this perhaps occur through some sort of system that is somehow embedded in the world/their bloodline/the moon or whatever, but they haven't explained it yet because it's the fucking plot of a multiple episode TV series.

You know, I've been reading this exchange of yours with whoever else that is, and I have to say, thank you so much for putting into words what it is that I want to tell some of the people complaining in this thread about not being told what's going on. While I'm personally hoping they do explain a bit more about how the magic works, since I'm a bit of a lore-nerd, it's extremely unrealistic and rather nitpicky for someone to expect that anyone would be able to 1. introduce the characters, 2. introduce the setting, 3. fling us and our MC straight into the action, as the writers have chosen to do, and 4. explain enough lore and background about the current situation so that all these nitpicky asshats will be satisfied, all within one 24-and-a-half minute episode. Maaaaybe that's plausible with a first episode of over 40 minutes, the way Shield Hero and Kanata no Astra did, but maybe the producers of this show couldn't do that for budget, broadcasting, sponsorship, or other kinds of reasons that I couldn't even begin to imagine.
And for those of you saying that you're confused and not enough was explained, Three episode rule is your friend, and I'm sure that many a producer is well aware of it (seeing as how the people behind Grimms Notes pulled a bait and switch on me so hard that I got whiplash). We're one episode in, sit tight for a couple more episodes and let things get fleshed out a bit. Also, remember that there's absolutely no source material for this, so I'm certain that the writing staff behind the show are taking a lot of care to make sure that worldbuilding and lore are properly inserted into the story in heavy doses.
Jul 11, 2019 7:39 PM

Mar 2016
@dandar It's a weird complaint that you don't often see in discussion of hyped up manga adaptations. This is an original with mechs, so people are just looking for excuses to shit on it, I think. Usually flashy action impresses people, but not this time. Hopefully the quality continues, and word of mouth will get different people to take a look at it, and maybe even improve the reception. It might be doing better with Westerners already though, I hear that Japanese audiences are basically ignoring it.
syncrogazerJul 11, 2019 7:51 PM
Jul 12, 2019 1:07 AM
Feb 2019
OST: the real star of the show! Everything was ok but the design of the Mecha doesn't keep up to everything that is shown: the plot, the soundtrack, the animation. Overall 7/10
Jul 12, 2019 12:56 PM
Sep 2013
Hmmmm so there wasn't much plot to this first episode but the art of this anime is SPECTACULAR, can't wait to see more.

Also REALLLLLYYYYY hoping they make figures for this show.
Jul 14, 2019 5:55 AM

Jul 2019
First episode is all hard to follow action. You'd think there'd be at least something else, but it's all just action. Not a fan of mecha to begin with and this seems like a pretty mediocre version of it. Pink haired girl (mangetsu?) is cute though. So far I'd consider this to be below average.
Jul 14, 2019 2:58 PM
Obscure Anime Ma
Jan 2017
I really enjoyed this episode the fights scenes and there were made well. The show gave me enough to make interested to see more. I got a star wars vibe in the beginning fight scene. I enjoyed the music as well felt they helped enhance the scenes.
Jul 14, 2019 4:24 PM

Dec 2018
There's going to be yuri in this, isn't there? Sigh...not too interesting for me so far. Also, I just realized that the first few seconds of the opening for this is literally ripped from Neon Genesis Evangelion, lol. They just changed the color of the flame and a different symbol, wft.
Jul 14, 2019 8:40 PM
Jan 2019
Uff! I have not seen a wick anime for a long time, and this anime combines that genre with magic. The animation and the effects are really great. I was not sure when I saw the trailer, but now, without a doubt, I'll put this anime on my list this season. The introduction has convinced me enough to do it, I see potential to this story 😁👌. I just loved this first episode, with that of the 7 magicians, the world without magic, the seal, etc 😅. I hope, do not disappoint me.

Ps: It reminds me a bit of last year's anime, also of mecha, "Planet With".

I thought that this anime, Granbelm, was produced by the same animation studio as Re: Zero. The characters are very similar in design.
Jul 15, 2019 3:00 PM

Dec 2015
Pretty weak. Just a moe setup (well at lest some fo the girls are pretty moe-ish) with some mecha + battle stuff thrown on top of that. Also they later (according to preview for episode 2) seem to be back in their main world. Reminds a bit of Star Driver where they also have been only in another world for battling.

But since there weren't any good/interesting characters ... and the explanation seemed not interesting. I guess I can safely drop this.

Score seems justified. There are a lot of better anime with nice chars that entertain from episode 1 -which have a lower score. (For girls fighting ... or magical girls ... Mahou Shoujo Site and Release the Spyce are recommended. They had non-beginners as directors/script writers and a better start.)
Jul 15, 2019 10:29 PM

Nov 2009
LOL,

as said by others

This series reminds me of SD Gundam.

Haven't seen a chibi robot style fight for a LONG TIME...

kinda interesting series, I'll keep watching it and see how it goes.

(tho judging by how this is some sort of BR, but I count 7 orbs... and there's 7 girls... this means at the end everyone will lose their magic and the magic will be unsealed?)

actually... how long has this event been going on? cause I am pretty sure there's more than 7 girls (why's it girls only again?) that's been fighting. Unless somehow this event only started right at this moment? (cause somehow ppls didn't discover this magic world for thousands of years)

___ ___ ___

Also... apparently German names spells the same as Japan names, hehehe....
amlgJul 15, 2019 11:01 PM
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Jul 19, 2019 4:50 AM
Mar 2012
Not-isekai mechas fighting a holy grail war. Fallen heroes feed the grail magic like the original.
Fun action (somewhat messy) & sound, but not getting any plot hook or selling point.
Yuri 2D mechs reminds of Regalia three Sacred Stars, which fell off a cliff.
Jul 23, 2019 5:21 PM

Nov 2012
I like the design sense.... but when it moves it's kind of a mess. The chibi robots specifically look like moving bricks.

also NANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANINANI
Jul 31, 2019 1:20 PM
May 2016
The opening worried me with how lazy it felt, using clips from the series in your opening tends to raise the red flag of a rushed production, or it's just lazy. But it seems that the laziness of the opening was so they could focus on the series animation itself, as it was pretty good. The mech designs are great for limited animation while letting the animation still look good. I will say I need a bit more exposition on the main conflict, but I'd write this as a decent start
Aug 3, 2019 9:45 PM
Jan 2017
So, magical girls with giant robots. That is the premise of this show. And you know what? I frickin' loved it! It was an exciting first episode! Sure, the beginning was a bit clichéd and Mangetsu seems like a run-of-the-mill everygirl, but the action setpieces were amazing, the music was beautiful and the visual effects were incredible. While I don't have much experience with either magical girls, I have watched a few mecha shows here and there, so I'm interested to see how the shows handle this particular combination of genres. While this first episode was strong, I have a few reservations, so hopefully, the next episodes will deliver a much better experience.
Sep 26, 2019 12:18 PM

Jan 2015
It was more dramatic than I had anticipated
Liked it
Dec 9, 2019 12:24 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Initially, I was off-put by this series, I like ReZero design, but this still felt cheap... then I heard how much better the latter half of the anime is, so I gave it another try, and surprisingly I m liking it enough to watch more.

El_Caguai said:
This is my favorite of the current season I really like girls with the design of Re: zero and above all I have high hope for this ship :3

I would say the yuri does look very promising here, and now that I have seen a bit of ep2, Shingetsu is very likable to me so far, I love Homura, and I LOVE Madoka Magica, and so far this isn't a copy-paste low effort ripoff, so who knows, I may be on something here.
The MCs are very shippable with each other...

Seriously, Shingetsu = Homura + Emilia cuteness = fucking awesome <3
Feb 15, 2020 7:26 AM
May 2019
-Aincrad- said:
This is actually pretty good

The animation looks really great, and the plot is interesting too

Also, the OP is f*cking amazing, that's 10/10 for me, I love it!

I can already tell this will be one of those underrated shows

You predicted everything way too damn accurate lol
Mar 16, 2020 7:48 AM

Nov 2019
An alright episode.
Apr 1, 2020 7:12 AM

Jul 2009
I like the combo of pink hair and black hair...
Apr 2, 2020 1:46 AM

Oct 2010
I got 80s vibes out of this, glorious 1st episode, reminds me of Dangaioh and Iczer One, the mecha battles were awesome, I sure hope the little girl died there, I'll follow it, the drama was intense, funny how all starts when our main gilr forgot her bento to school, I mean, who even goes to school in the middle of the night for a lousy bento.
whatever 5/5
Apr 20, 2020 9:58 AM

Feb 2020
Okay, that was fast... Too fast. I barely get to know the mc and BAM ! New world ! BAM ! Mechas ! BAM ! Fights ! BAM ! Explosions ! BAM ! Bunch of infos ! BAM ! Fight again ! BAM ! The mc has powers !
Calm down show, calm down, let me process what I'm witnessing.
I find it funny how the music sounds like something coming straight out of a movie, though it's way too intense, it seems like I'm supposed to care about all those characters but why should I ? I don't know anything about them !
Why should I care about the pink-haired girl ? Give me a reason show, because telling me that she cooks pretty badly isn't enough. I know that it is only the first episode but a first episode is supposed to establish things and introduce the main characters, not be as if it was the last episode and I already knew all those characters and this world.
We did get infos but it was way too fast, thrown at my face between two fight scenes. I barely processed what happened right before that and I'm supposed to understand whatever the black-haired girl is saying ? And I'm actually supposed to remember all that ?
I'll watch the next episode but I really hope things will slow down a bit and the show isn't going to be as cliché as I expect it to be.
As much as I said that I don't know at all those characters, I've seen those archetypes so many times I actually feel like I already know all about them, so I hope they'll develop soon.
Sep 22, 2020 2:06 AM

Feb 2017
Ah, Madoka Magimecha, I see.

Okay, for real I didn’t really feel anything from this first episode. Seems like the same old character cliches (for the love of god can we get a new relationship dynamic in these shows) and both dark magical girls and battle royales are kinda played out lately. I’m REALLY hoping this isn’t gonna just become ‘oh, our innocent pink haired girl doesn’t wanna fight or see anyone get hurt because she’s so innocent’ for the entire show. The action seemed like the main draw but was a little over-gratuitous with flashing lights and quick cuts for me to really get much out of it (plus I had no investment in it yet).

Of course, that means nothing because first episodes are rarely that captivating on their own; I just hope they can take this somewhere interesting.

If I seem a bit harsh, it’s because I’m getting Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku flashbacks from the whole magical girl battle royale theme and that’s really not a good thing.
Apr 7, 2021 6:56 AM

Feb 2020
That was quite an action-packed start. They didn't waste too much time here.

The animation looks very nice.

SerafosDec 19, 2023 11:53 PM
Aug 28, 2021 7:12 PM

Feb 2014
Yo that was SO COOL!!! There was kind of a lot going on in that first episode and it was quite the wild ride. Maybe it'll slow down a bit lol. I LOVE the art style though

Damn Mangetsu really messed up that owl girl xD And OOOH SHE HAS A LIGHTSABER!! I hope the losers are just disqualified from Granbelm and they don't actually die, that would be really sad if they did.

I'm excited to see more, Magic Knight Rayearth is one of my favorites and Granbelm also has those mecha/magical girl vibes, hell yeah!!!

Noodle070Aug 28, 2021 7:17 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Granbelm Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 9, 2019

77 by 5hadow17 »»
Oct 24, 2023 12:57 AM

» Beauty..... so undderated.........

Ghefira - May 5, 2023

1 by NerdyMemer »»
May 6, 2023 2:55 AM

Poll: » Granbelm Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 2, 2019

79 by Ten »»
Dec 28, 2022 8:42 AM

Poll: » Granbelm Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2019

87 by Noodle070 »»
Aug 29, 2021 4:57 AM

Poll: » Granbelm Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2019

47 by Noodle070 »»
Aug 29, 2021 4:12 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.