Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 5, 2019 10:20 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Eh, I'm not sold on this yet. There's way too much action for the first episode imo and didn't get me too invested into the main story yet.

Given that the same character designer worked on this and Re:Zero, some of the characters looks similar. Kohinata and Shingetsu got the most screentime together given their roles as main characters.

The part with the mecha adds a strange twist for the mechanics of this. But yeah, I got pretty mixed thoughts on this.
Jul 5, 2019 10:35 AM

Apr 2012
Is it really Madoka with ReZero design?
Jul 5, 2019 12:34 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Holy shit, what a fucking spectacle, i'm blown away.

No doubt for me that this is the best pilot episode of the season so far.
Jul 5, 2019 1:00 PM

Feb 2016
Well, what a clusterfuck xD (in a good way). So far it looks interesting but I'm not sold yet, I guess its a matter of time.

I have some Planet With vibes on this one.

Them Soundtrack and the Sfx tho.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Jul 5, 2019 1:02 PM

Oct 2016
I love the animation and ost. It kinda feels like a fusion between Madoka, Fate and Aldnoah.Zero.
I am looking forward to this; hopefully it will have 2 cours, since the plot seems to be rather complicated, however, I only saw the first episode so I can't really say anything about it yet.
Jul 5, 2019 1:10 PM

Oct 2018
This is actually pretty good

The animation looks really great, and the plot is interesting too

Also, the OP is f*cking amazing, that's 10/10 for me, I love it!

I can already tell this will be one of those underrated shows
-Aincrad-Jul 5, 2019 1:42 PM
Jul 5, 2019 1:26 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Damn, this was one clusterfudge of an episode!

Action was a prime highlight this episode and it totally delivered in this regard. Story-wise, however, I’m not completely sold yet but it seems to me as though there’ll be a lot of substance so hopefully it’ll get enough episodes to flesh that out. Character Designs, unsurprisingly, are very alike to Re:Zero’s and that too in a very identical manner and likewise for those enraged faces too, and being a fan of Re:Zero that was great to see! I feel bad for the main girl having to end up in this wild mess but apparently there’s something special about her (cliche but I’m hopeful it won’t be just that) and that Madoka transformation, at least visually, was quite cool.

ED theme was really nice to keep up with and the soundtracks (the eerie one with a girl’s screechy noise reminds me a lot of one of the tracks of Re:Zero) glorious to have so hopefully Nexus will continue to provide on this plus the animation throughout the course of the show!

I was really looking forward to this in the past couple of weeks or so and I’m not disappointed! With that said though, I’m not exacfly enthralled either so here’s to hoping we see more good stuff from this show!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 5, 2019 1:33 PM

Jul 2017
WELL OH WELL. What high expectations to be met from Re:Zero's director and character designer.

Nexus's animation, really ten, no, hundred-upped when compared to Comic Girls.
The cool, rock-solid animation pumps up all the adrenaline with the mech fights.

As per usual, Eir Aoi's OP is great. The cool, calming ED is no slouch either.

HereticHunter said:

I have some Planet With vibes on this one.
Them Soundtrack and the Sfx tho.

Definitely with the mech styles. AND YES the sound direction. Phenomenal.

Plot is interesting but lacking, though it really went one-directional with the (earthly) MC Kohinata not fully apprehending the situation. And of course the (other-world) MC Earnesta must explain to her.

Ooh, so Granbelm is a battle-royale of sorts, for the supremacy and blah blah blah, true winner.

And it's NOT an isekai, or rather, an illusionary one!

But overall, really cool series that got my hopes really one-upped FOR REAL! Just needs more time to flesh out its setting.
KANLen09Jul 5, 2019 1:38 PM
Jul 5, 2019 1:41 PM
Review Moderator
Book Princess

Nov 2018
I thought that this episode felt like something they would have talked about making in Shirobako. It was a little wacky and over the top, but I wouldn't say it was bad. Definitely worth for at least a few more episodes to see where it is going to go (since it's original, no one knows!)
Every day you can read a book or watch some anime is a good day!
Jul 5, 2019 2:04 PM

May 2010
quit after a few minutes. such a mess
pass
Jul 5, 2019 2:18 PM

Jul 2014
Aaaand drop, its not for me.
Jul 5, 2019 2:46 PM

Aug 2013
Not a bad start though I agree with others that I am not sold on this.

Jul 5, 2019 3:16 PM

Mar 2016
They wasted no time whatsoever. Loved it. And they say 2D mechs are dead.

Since they don't seem to be slaughtering each other, maybe it won't be all edgy which was my main concern going into it.
syncrogazerJul 5, 2019 3:21 PM
Jul 5, 2019 3:17 PM

Mar 2019
100% on board with this, was very confused at first (I’ll give the series the benefit of the doubt and say that’s intentional to help put you in the MCs shoes), but the sound direction, animation and character design are all incredible so far. Very much love the aesthetic choices and I really hope the story holds up as this continues.

(Plus, the isekai pisstake has given me my first genuine laugh of Summer 2019 anime)
Watch Granbelm
Jul 5, 2019 3:48 PM

Nov 2016
This is my favorite of the current season I really like girls with the design of Re: zero and above all I have high hope for this ship :3
Jul 5, 2019 4:01 PM

Jul 2017
First drop of the season for me.
It's not even the worst, but nothing in it was catching my attention. Whatever plot stuff that went down completely flew over my head.

Just really average. Nothing you can't find elsewhere.
5/10
Sorry, the user you are looking for is not available at the moment. You are currently reading text generated by APSAB or "Auto-Programmed-Signature-Mataining-Bot" (patent pending).

ERROR CODE 1979-NIPUL-W3EB
Please Install the Latest Version of MAL.OS as Some Features of Certain Signatures May Not Appear Correctly. You are currently running MAL.OS.V4. Click here to download MAL.OS.V5.

APSAB Version: Beta.99

"If Seinfeld isn't your favorite anime, then you aren't watching anime correctly."
- Me

Jul 5, 2019 4:02 PM

May 2018
The first episode was really good. I don't understand the low score
Jul 5, 2019 4:04 PM

Feb 2019

if that funny is not a bad anime only not very remarkable however has a pretty good technical work like Fire brigade, but still all praise the generic shounen.
Jul 5, 2019 4:16 PM

Jul 2012
Kinda boring but the mechs are no CGI and that is surprising.

Sound direction is definitly very good.

Digimon is the best Isekai
Jul 5, 2019 4:29 PM

Feb 2019
It was ok, the animation was pretty good though. Plot-wise it seems generic, but it's better than what was Fairy Gone, for example (after that crap, I'm more careful to watch an original show now); things seem to be more consistent.

I'm looking forward, the mixture of Mahou Shoujo with Mecha is interesting for me.
Jul 5, 2019 4:29 PM

Sep 2011
RayReynolds said:

if that funny is not a bad anime only not very remarkable however has a pretty good technical work like Fire brigade, but still all praise the generic shounen.

What? I've read this like 5 times and still don't understand.

The low score probably comes from the fact that they explained nothing, and there was no hook. I had to ask myself 4 different times "Is this a X anime?" where X was slice of life, mystery, mech, and mahou shoujo, in that order. The episode covered a lot of ground, but it didn't explore any of its themes deeply. The characters were not interesting, and all of the antagonists were designed to be hated. The MC is just as clueless as the audience is. People will not rate something highly if they don't know what they are getting.

I'm not gonna hate on the people who found something to like in this series, but as for me I did not find something to latch on to that would make me want to keep watching. I hope this series remains strong in your eyes, and I hope you keep finding enjoyment in it.
Jul 5, 2019 4:37 PM

Mar 2016
Shirasho said:
The low score probably comes from the fact that they explained nothing

wtf did you just sleep through the part where they literally sat down for an exposition dump? and lol at the 'exploring themes' garbage in the first episode, just admit you didn't like it and stop bullshitting reasons why, because I dunno if you can't figure out what's going on when they literally spell it out for you, then it's your problem.

Jul 5, 2019 4:42 PM

Nov 2013
Pretty good first episode, I wonder why this doesn't have the "mecha" tag though. Is it because the robots are operated with magic?

I can see myself loving this show if the animation stays at this quality and we get some shoujo-ai/yuri vibes. Story seems like nothing special so far, but we'll see. Still, this is rated way too low...
Jul 5, 2019 4:57 PM
Aug 2015
El_Caguai said:
This is my favorite of the current season I really like girls with the design of Re: zero and above all I have high hope for this ship :3

where did u find this?
Jul 5, 2019 6:03 PM

May 2018
Okay that was fun
When the PVs showed girls fighting in giant robots I was already sold and the animation for the fighting was good.

This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.
Jul 5, 2019 6:22 PM

Jan 2008
Despite being an original, this just feels like your typical gacha/card game turned anime.

Not a fan of the mech designs but hey, they aren't atrocious cgi'd blobs at least.

Probably the kind of show I'll forget about a few episodes in.
Jul 5, 2019 6:31 PM

Nov 2016
Well, I came into this with 0 expectations and was surprised in a good way. This might not turn out to be something great, but at least it kept my attention throughout the whole episode.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 5, 2019 7:07 PM

May 2017
Interesting enough. I was pulled in by the character personalities for sure. The art aswell, with how the faces distort with anger, was really cool too.

Kohinata definitely has some Emilia-style bangs
Jul 5, 2019 7:07 PM

Dec 2014
like what is even happening hmmm...mecha girls and what not
Jul 5, 2019 7:08 PM
Apr 2019
Incredible animation and technical quality, I loved the Super Robot War style mechas, the telegraphed attacks, the eyes with colored stuff I loved especially that the story involves the girls without adding any mandatory self-insert, I will hope the school parts at least as enjoyable as all good CGDCT
Rosary_DivaJul 5, 2019 7:14 PM

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Jul 5, 2019 7:08 PM

Jun 2015
So she gets trapped inside this giant robot thing, has no clue what to do, is told that robot is her "heart", and then suddenly and OUT OF THIN AIR she becomes a pro and beats the green girl with Dragon-ball-screams-style and one blow?
Miss me with the bullshit.
Imma still give it a few other eps tho for the benefit of the doubt.
They all feel the same adjust to the pain..like tears in the rain..

Jul 5, 2019 7:19 PM

Oct 2015
Ahh more case to not trust the MAL score again. Black haired Emilia made me sold for the show.
Jul 5, 2019 7:31 PM
Jun 2017
hmmm... not bad for the 1st episode but well it needs another episode to explain what this show is all about as the first episode focus instantly on fight scenes and just little on what this series is all about..
Jul 5, 2019 7:56 PM
Jul 2019
This is some Old school style SD mecha animation.
Those who like mecha action would love it.
Character Design is fantastic.
Scene design fabulous.
It does rivals some very good mecha fights animation with its colourful and beautiful backdrops.

Those who aim for story will be disappointed.
Not all anime must have a deep story, some are just action based.
Some are just action 1st story 2nd.

Some anime are just watch and enjoy, not to think so much.
blazinblazinJul 5, 2019 8:01 PM
Jul 5, 2019 8:02 PM

Mar 2016
RobertBobert said:
Is it really Madoka with ReZero design?

It is, except it's inferior to both.
Jul 5, 2019 8:03 PM

Oct 2015
Awakened already! Oh what the hell, it was a nice episode action packed episode. They should rid of the mecha stuff and it will be a hit to me in the long run.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jul 5, 2019 9:15 PM

Mar 2010
That was waay more action orientated and over top than I expected to be honest. They were definitely posting the battle tournament aspect to hook you in even at expense little explanation of what is going on. But that's okay since what 2nd episodes are usually for. As speculate it was fun to watch and like how expressive the mechs are. Characters seem pretty standard as magical girl shows with leading character being kind of ditz and supporting one serious but kind of awkward. They're a bit stock for this kind of genre so hopefully they will branch out a bit sooner than later. Music and background also stood out, with former eerie tones mixing with the later dark, barren and beaten landscape.

I'm not completely sold but I'm looking forward to see where this goes for the moment.
Iron_MawJul 6, 2019 2:57 AM
Jul 5, 2019 9:25 PM

Jan 2013
First episode was actually pretty awesome and looks like next episode will focus more on story and slice of life cant wait.
Jul 5, 2019 9:35 PM

Apr 2018
This really does look like Madoka and Re;zero.. Hmm this looks pretty interesting so I'll keep watching this
Jul 5, 2019 9:37 PM

Jan 2016
Mecha has weight and cool sound effects = 9/10
Jul 5, 2019 9:37 PM
Jul 2018
I like the character designs and music but this was really boring overall. Too much going on without any stakes since nothing is explained to the viewer. Even when we finally got to exposition it wasn't very much.
Jul 5, 2019 9:42 PM

Oct 2012
Silly girl. What did you think was gonna happen when you ran from your house late at night and broke into your school to pick up an old lunch?
Jul 5, 2019 9:52 PM

Jun 2015
This was not a good first episode mainly because of the characters. I don't like them at all. The action is decent.
Jul 5, 2019 10:10 PM
Oct 2017
Everything happened very quickly, they didn't explain much and the context wasn't understood much either.
98% of the chapter was fights.
It bothers me that with such ambiguous words as "Imagine" or "visualize" and some random screams, the protagonist already knows how to use the robot and use those powers as if she were an expert.
The mechas were horrendous, very ugly.

I hope everything will be better explained to us in the next chapter, but for now this first episode leaves me somewhat unhappy.
Jul 5, 2019 11:03 PM

Dec 2018
the chibi size of the mecha feels so awkward...
Jul 5, 2019 11:10 PM

Mar 2019
Potential, i see in this one...

Nananice Pilot Episode...
Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Jul 5, 2019 11:53 PM
Mar 2017
This anime turned out to be another that surprised me, besides that I love the character design, you can see that in this anime, people from the staff of Re: Zero worked.

Mechas in 2D look great, but more than anything the premise seems to be a battle royal of these girls who control these magical Mechas in a parallel world.

Mangetsu is the girl who is in the wrong place and ends up being involved in this unexpected fight, but even so the little we met her seems to be the good girl that sometimes people take advantage of her kindness, she is also a little clumsy, but still pretty adorable.
Shingetsu is still a mystery to me, although her design is beautiful, but it seems that she has several enemies and most likely Mangetsu will also become the target of them.

Despite all I still feel that there is a lack of development in history, it is the first episode and context was limited due to the situation in which Shingetsu and Mangetsu were, so I can expect a better explanation of the events in the next episode.
I see that there will be a Yuriservice in this anime, as I have said on other occasions, the Yuriservice is always welcome, so I hope to see ShingetsuxMangetsu moments.

Eir Aoi in the OP was so beautiful, the visuals look excelent.
Jul 6, 2019 12:09 AM
Mar 2018
I just read the synopsis for this anime and why does it have to be germany again? Yes, the Grimm books and some medieval history created a great amount of publicity for witchcraft, but it has become so cliché over the time... Why not use the ancient magic from greece where it originated or any other country for a change?
Jul 6, 2019 1:46 AM

Jan 2018
looks like cute girls doing badass things to me, let's see where this goes
Jul 6, 2019 1:48 AM

Apr 2012
@epicyarnboy This is a poster of the show from the magazine Megami.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Granbelm Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 9, 2019

77 by 5hadow17 »»
Oct 24, 2023 12:57 AM

» Beauty..... so undderated.........

Ghefira - May 5, 2023

1 by NerdyMemer »»
May 6, 2023 2:55 AM

Poll: » Granbelm Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 2, 2019

79 by Ten »»
Dec 28, 2022 8:42 AM

Poll: » Granbelm Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2019

87 by Noodle070 »»
Aug 29, 2021 4:57 AM

Poll: » Granbelm Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2019

47 by Noodle070 »»
Aug 29, 2021 4:12 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.