Forum Settings
Forums

FUNimation Acquires Baka Test & Dance in the Vampire Bund

New
Mar 4, 2010 2:57 PM

Feb 2008
According to the official blog, FUNimation acquired Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu and Dance in the Vampire Bund. English-subbed episodes will be streamed on http://www.funimation.com. The first two and four episodes of the two titles will be available on March 5th at 10am CST, and new episodes will be added weekly following the TV broadcasts in Japan.

Source: Funimation blog
dtshykMar 4, 2010 2:57 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 4, 2010 2:59 PM

Jul 2007
Man leave it to funimation to stop my downloading while at work.....they already busted me once....
Mar 4, 2010 3:00 PM

Jun 2009
man funimation are on a roll! i haven't seen either shows but i a interested in baka test, looks promising

plus isn't it odd that these shows have been licensed and they both are still airing?
"everyone knows that the last toes are always the coldest to go."

Telavators-the mars volta
Mar 4, 2010 3:01 PM

Jul 2007
They did the same with a few others, like Phantom and Soul Eater.
Mar 4, 2010 3:02 PM

Nov 2008
Oh, well. I'm just going to put them on hold until some DVD rips come out for us Brits to watch.

Durarara and Hanmaru Youchien are the only anime I really care about this season anyway, so I'm not too bothered by that.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Mar 4, 2010 3:02 PM

Apr 2009
They went with such a literal translation, Baka and Test - Summon the Beasts... Funimation translations are good (often too literal at times), but I hate their horrible block style white font... Though I've never seen any of their media other than streams. I was considering buying Higurashi, but I don't know... Does anyone know if their DVD/BD releases are any better than this:

ReaperEXEMar 4, 2010 3:39 PM
Mar 4, 2010 3:04 PM

Oct 2009
This is awesome! I love them both! Now I can legally watch them yayz!
Mar 4, 2010 3:06 PM

Feb 2010
I hate Funimation...

Mar 4, 2010 3:07 PM

Jul 2008
ugh..this could be a pain but as long as subbers continue i won't have a problem (Baka Test is my favorite this season so far and i watch Dance in the Vampire Bund) but kinda cool news as long dvd's eventually come out unlike Shikabane Hime and Phantom still ><.
Mar 4, 2010 3:10 PM

May 2008
Ehem, I'd better hurry up and grab those torrents.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Mar 4, 2010 3:11 PM
Apr 2008
So...no mention of a DVD release? None at all?

I'm torn on if I want to drop these in light of this news. I'm not into the idea of watching web-streamed anime.

In a possible future update of a stateside DVD release of these shows I may consider just putting them on hold.

Ugh. This season has been a real drag.
AbyssopelagicMar 4, 2010 3:16 PM
Mar 4, 2010 3:11 PM

Jul 2008
ReaperEXE said:
They went with such a literal translation, Baka and Test - Summon the Beasts...
Actually, this is the "English translation" seen on the Baka to Test character song album, so this is probably the official name they gave it.
Mar 4, 2010 3:12 PM

Jun 2009
they both look promising,they're actually good choices! the only download is now i'll have trouble downloading them
Mar 4, 2010 3:16 PM
Jan 2009
Vampire Bund? Funi acquires fail again, I see.
Mar 4, 2010 3:20 PM

May 2008
Leave it to Funi to acquire something that isn't even finished its run in Japan..and FMA doesn't count.

You know they're going after Durarara really soon considering its popularity. I can already see Kimi ni Todoke and Letter Bee on their list as well. And hell, while they're at the fail of getting Vampire Bund, why not take Ladies vs Butlers as well?

Mar 4, 2010 3:23 PM

Jul 2007
LinaInverseLover said:
ugh..this could be a pain but as long as subbers continue i won't have a problem (Baka Test is my favorite this season so far and i watch Dance in the Vampire Bund) but kinda cool news as long dvd's eventually come out unlike Shikabane Hime and Phantom still ><.

Well on a side note funi did say in a podcast that they will be releasing Shikabane hime on DVD this summer.

Bathos said:
So...no mention of a DVD release? None at all?

I'm torn on if I want to drop these in light of this news. I'm not into the idea of watching web-streamed anime.

In a possible future update of a stateside DVD release of these shows I may consider just putting them on hold.

Ugh. This season has been a real drag.

Well when they say they acquired the digital, broadcast, home video rights to both series, I would like to say that there will be a DVD release. As to when though...
Mar 4, 2010 3:26 PM

Jul 2008
Arcadies said:
LinaInverseLover said:

Well on a side note funi did say in a podcast that they will be releasing Shikabane hime on DVD this summer.

oh, don't normally watch those and last i looked at it on their site it said nothing like allways ><..thanks for the news though ^^, means that took them years to do though opposed to most of the other stuff they been licensing for some reason lol. glad to hear they haven't forgotten about stuff like that though ^^
RyokoAyekaLoverMar 4, 2010 3:30 PM
Mar 4, 2010 3:28 PM

Sep 2008
KayChan4U said:
why not take Ladies vs Butlers as well?
Way too risky for the states to handle.

Eitherway, there's only 4 more episodes to go through, someone's going to end up finishing the Japanese air regardless.
Mar 4, 2010 3:36 PM

Jul 2008
Blaze-Senpai said:
KayChan4U said:
why not take Ladies vs Butlers as well?
Way too risky for the states to handle.

Eitherway, there's only 4 more episodes to go through, someone's going to end up finishing the Japanese air regardless.

for Funimation anyway, totally see it and Chu-Bra getting licensed by Media-Blasters though later on
Mar 4, 2010 3:39 PM

Jul 2009
I'm on the fence. I really like Baka to Test, but I can't see myself purchasing it after Funi will inevitably butcher it. They've had one thing so far, the name, and they've called it "Summon the Beasts?" What the hell is this?
Mar 4, 2010 3:40 PM

Aug 2009
KayChan4U said:
Leave it to Funi to acquire something that isn't even finished its run in Japan..and FMA doesn't count.

Does it not count or do you just not want it to count cause they've done this before
KayChan4U said:

You know they're going after Durarara really soon considering its popularity

I doubt it. They said that they don't usually go after shows on Crunchyroll. At least not until after it's finished. Though I can bet they are totally licensing it later.

BTW, wrong SHAFT FUNi. It was supposed to be Bakemonogatari.
Mar 4, 2010 3:57 PM

Sep 2008
Darn no Hideyoshi dub...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 4, 2010 4:00 PM

Nov 2008
well i don't really care
Mar 4, 2010 4:02 PM

Dec 2007
I'm not quite sure what to think of this. I mean Baka to Test is great but I think it might get butchered in English but we'll see how this goes. I doubt Bund is going to sell very well anyway xD.
Mar 4, 2010 4:02 PM

Mar 2010
Hmm, can't say this news affects me one way or another. I haven't followed Dance in the Vampire Bund since the 2nd episode and never bothered with Baka to Test.

Mar 4, 2010 4:09 PM

May 2009
Cool. I've been thinking of watching Baka Test, and this will make it slightly more convenient.
Mar 4, 2010 4:15 PM
Jul 2009
Lordcrab86 said:

plus isn't it odd that these shows have been licensed and they both are still airing?

Funimation had their eyes on Vampire Bund (simply for the vampire theme) before the show even aired. Call it the Twilight effect.

Baka Test wasn't an object of interest. However, the licensor thought they could force Funimation into accepting a Vampire Bund/Baka Test package for a higher price. Had this not occurred, Crunchyroll would've streamed the latter.
Mar 4, 2010 4:16 PM

Feb 2010
I HATE FUNimation !! dammit why can't they just GO AWAY ! CEASE TO EXIST !
Please Click My Kawaii Dragons!!
Mar 4, 2010 4:18 PM

Nov 2009
Lol, why would they translate Baka to Test like that?
Mar 4, 2010 4:24 PM

Dec 2009
I'm glad they got Baka to Test. I haven't seen Dance in the Vampire Bund yet though...
Mar 4, 2010 4:26 PM
Apr 2008
I put these shows on hold for now.

I'm not watching streaming anime, so I'll hold out hope for DVDs.
Mar 4, 2010 4:30 PM

Aug 2009
kitsunekoz said:

1. Because they pump money into Japan's anime industry so we can get more anime

2. Because some people like having physical legal copies of anime/knowing that in a small way they're helping the industry.
Mar 4, 2010 4:43 PM

Jun 2009
garfield15 said:
kitsunekoz said:

2. Because some people like having physical legal copies of anime/knowing that in a small way they're helping the industry.

very true, there are people that would rather own anime legally on dvd then download it onto our computers

plus why funimation of all things?! something tells me you're a dub hater
"everyone knows that the last toes are always the coldest to go."

Telavators-the mars volta
Mar 4, 2010 4:44 PM
Feb 2009
rolddy said:
well i don't really care
Your comments are shit. You respond negatively to almost every article I see you in.

Anyways, I won't buy them, but licensing isn't that bad to me because there are still a lot of less popular sites that keep these things.
Mar 4, 2010 4:47 PM

Jan 2010
Why the hell does FUNimation have to acquire absolutely everything?
Mar 4, 2010 4:58 PM

Dec 2007
YoKozo said:
ReaperEXE said:
They went with such a literal translation, Baka and Test - Summon the Beasts...
Actually, this is the "English translation" seen on the Baka to Test character song album, so this is probably the official name they gave it.

Its an awful name though.
That can't even be called a literal translation as its only half of one.
If you're going to translate the name, you should translate the whole thing. As it is, that title just sounds really awkward :|
Mar 4, 2010 5:02 PM

May 2008
Lol Dance in the Vampire bund?? Really??

garfield15 said:
kitsunekoz said:

I would be fine as long they don't hunt the subbers, cause for some of us the only way to get anime is trough fansubs, not everyone lives in the USA/UK -_-

And international sales barely pump any profit to the japan's industry, you seen the Production IG chart? International sales were an extremely small percentage and Production IG is one of the companies who focuses more on the international market.
Mar 4, 2010 5:06 PM
Oct 2008
yeah leave it to FUNimation too ruin it all for everyone, FUCKIN BASTARDS
Mar 4, 2010 5:17 PM

Aug 2009
Soulstrider said:
Lol Dance in the Vampire bund?? Really??

Yeah, FUNi! It was supposed to be Bakemonogatari! What are you doing? This isn't Moonphase where that was actually somewhat decent.
Soulstrider said:

I would be fine as long they don't hunt the subbers, cause for some of us the only way to get anime is trough fansubs, not everyone lives in the USA/UK -_-

And international sales barely pump any profit to the japan's industry, you seen the Production IG chart? International sales were an extremely small percentage and Production IG is one of the companies who focuses more on the international market.

I can't argue with the first part

The second part though, so are you saying they should do nothing? At least a little bit isn't nothing.
Mar 4, 2010 5:24 PM
Aug 2007
. . . Baka Test? I ♥ you, Funi, but really? :|

Looking forward to Dance in the Vampire Bund, though.
Mar 4, 2010 5:35 PM

Aug 2009
I'm definitely not amused. It's pretty obvious that 'Baka and Test -SUMMONED the BEASTs' will be ruined by funnymation.

I should get vampire bund before getting blocked.
Mar 4, 2010 5:38 PM

Apr 2007
Wonder if they'll censor a certain scene in vampire bund :>.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 4, 2010 5:45 PM
Jan 2010
Well, i'm not as interested in vampire bund as much as baka to test, so the former doesn't really matter to me (sorry if i offend any vampire bund fans), but choosing baka to test is just.... random. weird. and i just really hope that the fansubbers (especially mochi) will not get affected by funimation (cus funimation's translations are just too literal as usual).
Mar 4, 2010 6:17 PM

Feb 2009
...wow. Fail, with the Vampire Bund...

*is still waiting for Funi to make even worse marketing choices and license The Anime Hardly Anyone Save For Herself The Neutralist Will Buy*
SoneAnnaMar 4, 2010 6:28 PM
Mar 4, 2010 6:25 PM

Jul 2008
KayChan4U said:

You know they're going after Durarara really soon considering its popularity. I can already see Kimi ni Todoke and Letter Bee on their list as well. And hell, while they're at the fail of getting Vampire Bund, why not take Ladies vs Butlers as well?

Crunchyroll has Durarara!! right?
Mar 4, 2010 6:32 PM
Aug 2007
Bernkastroll said:

*is still waiting for Funi to make even worse marketing choices and license The Anime Hardly Anyone Save For Herself The Neutralist Will Buy*

I'd totally buy that if they licensed it :3
Mar 4, 2010 6:35 PM
Sep 2009
Lordcrab86 said:
man funimation are on a roll! i haven't seen either shows but i a interested in baka test, looks promising

Should try Vampire Bund it's actually really good once you get it
Mar 4, 2010 6:36 PM

Feb 2009
the_seventh_l said:
Bernkastroll said:

I'd totally buy that if they licensed it :3

OK AWSM. .___.

Still with this Vampire Bund though...I can't believe even Funi's gotten on the Vampire Bandwagon. >____<
Mar 4, 2010 6:51 PM

Sep 2009
FUNimation really does suck. It's a shame they are scooping up all of these good shows.
Mar 4, 2010 7:38 PM

Jul 2008
I don't mind that they scoop of the good shows, I mind that they send C&D's to EVERY GROUP.

They stopped everyone subbing Soul Eater, and then didn't come out with the DVDs themselves for like a year.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - Apr 26

10 by Deoxyribo9 »»
15 minutes ago

» Manga 'Kakushite! Makina-san!!' Gets TV Anime in 2025

Vindstot - May 9

13 by animegamer245 »»
2 hours ago

» 'Detective Conan' Creator's 'Yaiba' Manga Receives New Anime

Hyperion_PS - May 7

20 by Zedlin »»
Yesterday, 4:23 PM

» Light Novel 'Izure Saikyou no Renkinjutsushi?' Gets TV Anime in Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - May 9

5 by Zedlin »»
Yesterday, 4:21 PM

» 'Dungeon no Naka no Hito' Announces Additional Cast, Staff

DatRandomDude - May 9

2 by Zedlin »»
Yesterday, 4:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.