Forum Settings
Forums

FUNimation Acquires Baka Test & Dance in the Vampire Bund

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
 
#1
Mar 4, 2010 2:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 4384
According to the official blog, FUNimation acquired Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu and Dance in the Vampire Bund. English-subbed episodes will be streamed on http://www.funimation.com. The first two and four episodes of the two titles will be available on March 5th at 10am CST, and new episodes will be added weekly following the TV broadcasts in Japan.

Source: Funimation blog
Modified by dtshyk, Mar 4, 2010 2:57 PM
 
#2
Mar 4, 2010 2:59 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 106
Man leave it to funimation to stop my downloading while at work.....they already busted me once....
 
#3
Mar 4, 2010 3:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1147
man funimation are on a roll! i haven't seen either shows but i a interested in baka test, looks promising

plus isn't it odd that these shows have been licensed and they both are still airing?
"everyone knows that the last toes are always the coldest to go."

Telavators-the mars volta
 
#4
Mar 4, 2010 3:01 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 106
They did the same with a few others, like Phantom and Soul Eater.
 
#5
Mar 4, 2010 3:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 7012
Oh, well. I'm just going to put them on hold until some DVD rips come out for us Brits to watch.

Durarara and Hanmaru Youchien are the only anime I really care about this season anyway, so I'm not too bothered by that.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
 
#6
Mar 4, 2010 3:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1345
They went with such a literal translation, Baka and Test - Summon the Beasts... Funimation translations are good (often too literal at times), but I hate their horrible block style white font... Though I've never seen any of their media other than streams. I was considering buying Higurashi, but I don't know... Does anyone know if their DVD/BD releases are any better than this:

Modified by ReaperEXE, Mar 4, 2010 3:39 PM
 
#7
Mar 4, 2010 3:04 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 340
This is awesome! I love them both! Now I can legally watch them yayz!
 
#8
Mar 4, 2010 3:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 121
I hate Funimation...


 
#9
Mar 4, 2010 3:07 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 2412
ugh..this could be a pain but as long as subbers continue i won't have a problem (Baka Test is my favorite this season so far and i watch Dance in the Vampire Bund) but kinda cool news as long dvd's eventually come out unlike Shikabane Hime and Phantom still ><.
 
Mar 4, 2010 3:10 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 31869
Ehem, I'd better hurry up and grab those torrents.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
 
Mar 4, 2010 3:11 PM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 183
So...no mention of a DVD release? None at all?

I'm torn on if I want to drop these in light of this news. I'm not into the idea of watching web-streamed anime.

In a possible future update of a stateside DVD release of these shows I may consider just putting them on hold.

Ugh. This season has been a real drag.
Modified by Abyssopelagic, Mar 4, 2010 3:16 PM
 
Mar 4, 2010 3:11 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 22
ReaperEXE said:
They went with such a literal translation, Baka and Test - Summon the Beasts...
Actually, this is the "English translation" seen on the Baka to Test character song album, so this is probably the official name they gave it.
 
Mar 4, 2010 3:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 4491
they both look promising,they're actually good choices! the only download is now i'll have trouble downloading them
 
Mar 4, 2010 3:16 PM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 273
Vampire Bund? Funi acquires fail again, I see.
 
Mar 4, 2010 3:20 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 2186
Leave it to Funi to acquire something that isn't even finished its run in Japan..and FMA doesn't count.

You know they're going after Durarara really soon considering its popularity. I can already see Kimi ni Todoke and Letter Bee on their list as well. And hell, while they're at the fail of getting Vampire Bund, why not take Ladies vs Butlers as well?
 
Mar 4, 2010 3:23 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 106
LinaInverseLover said:
ugh..this could be a pain but as long as subbers continue i won't have a problem (Baka Test is my favorite this season so far and i watch Dance in the Vampire Bund) but kinda cool news as long dvd's eventually come out unlike Shikabane Hime and Phantom still ><.


Well on a side note funi did say in a podcast that they will be releasing Shikabane hime on DVD this summer.

Bathos said:
So...no mention of a DVD release? None at all?

I'm torn on if I want to drop these in light of this news. I'm not into the idea of watching web-streamed anime.

In a possible future update of a stateside DVD release of these shows I may consider just putting them on hold.

Ugh. This season has been a real drag.


Well when they say they acquired the digital, broadcast, home video rights to both series, I would like to say that there will be a DVD release. As to when though...
 
Mar 4, 2010 3:26 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 2412
Arcadies said:
LinaInverseLover said:
ugh..this could be a pain but as long as subbers continue i won't have a problem (Baka Test is my favorite this season so far and i watch Dance in the Vampire Bund) but kinda cool news as long dvd's eventually come out unlike Shikabane Hime and Phantom still ><.


Well on a side note funi did say in a podcast that they will be releasing Shikabane hime on DVD this summer.



oh, don't normally watch those and last i looked at it on their site it said nothing like allways ><..thanks for the news though ^^, means that took them years to do though opposed to most of the other stuff they been licensing for some reason lol. glad to hear they haven't forgotten about stuff like that though ^^
Modified by RyokoAyekaLover, Mar 4, 2010 3:30 PM
 
Mar 4, 2010 3:28 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 997
KayChan4U said:
why not take Ladies vs Butlers as well?
Way too risky for the states to handle.


Eitherway, there's only 4 more episodes to go through, someone's going to end up finishing the Japanese air regardless.
 
Mar 4, 2010 3:36 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 2412
Blaze-Senpai said:
KayChan4U said:
why not take Ladies vs Butlers as well?
Way too risky for the states to handle.


Eitherway, there's only 4 more episodes to go through, someone's going to end up finishing the Japanese air regardless.


for Funimation anyway, totally see it and Chu-Bra getting licensed by Media-Blasters though later on
 
Mar 4, 2010 3:39 PM
On the Case

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 536
I'm on the fence. I really like Baka to Test, but I can't see myself purchasing it after Funi will inevitably butcher it. They've had one thing so far, the name, and they've called it "Summon the Beasts?" What the hell is this?
 
Mar 4, 2010 3:40 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 2093
KayChan4U said:
Leave it to Funi to acquire something that isn't even finished its run in Japan..and FMA doesn't count.

Does it not count or do you just not want it to count cause they've done this before
KayChan4U said:

You know they're going after Durarara really soon considering its popularity

I doubt it. They said that they don't usually go after shows on Crunchyroll. At least not until after it's finished. Though I can bet they are totally licensing it later.

BTW, wrong SHAFT FUNi. It was supposed to be Bakemonogatari.
 
Mar 4, 2010 3:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 7062
Darn no Hideyoshi dub...
 
Mar 4, 2010 4:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 3339
well i don't really care
 
Mar 4, 2010 4:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1144
I'm not quite sure what to think of this. I mean Baka to Test is great but I think it might get butchered in English but we'll see how this goes. I doubt Bund is going to sell very well anyway xD.
 
Mar 4, 2010 4:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 99
Hmm, can't say this news affects me one way or another. I haven't followed Dance in the Vampire Bund since the 2nd episode and never bothered with Baka to Test.

 
Mar 4, 2010 4:09 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 232
Cool. I've been thinking of watching Baka Test, and this will make it slightly more convenient.
 
Mar 4, 2010 4:15 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 78
Lordcrab86 said:

plus isn't it odd that these shows have been licensed and they both are still airing?


Funimation had their eyes on Vampire Bund (simply for the vampire theme) before the show even aired. Call it the Twilight effect.

Baka Test wasn't an object of interest. However, the licensor thought they could force Funimation into accepting a Vampire Bund/Baka Test package for a higher price. Had this not occurred, Crunchyroll would've streamed the latter.
 
Mar 4, 2010 4:16 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 306
I HATE FUNimation !! dammit why can't they just GO AWAY ! CEASE TO EXIST !
Please Click My Kawaii Dragons!!
 
Mar 4, 2010 4:18 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 831
Lol, why would they translate Baka to Test like that?
 
Mar 4, 2010 4:24 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 122
I'm glad they got Baka to Test. I haven't seen Dance in the Vampire Bund yet though...
 
Mar 4, 2010 4:26 PM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 183
I put these shows on hold for now.

I'm not watching streaming anime, so I'll hold out hope for DVDs.
 
Mar 4, 2010 4:30 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 2093
kitsunekoz said:
I HATE FUNimation !! dammit why can't they just GO AWAY ! CEASE TO EXIST !

1. Because they pump money into Japan's anime industry so we can get more anime

2. Because some people like having physical legal copies of anime/knowing that in a small way they're helping the industry.
 
Mar 4, 2010 4:43 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1147
garfield15 said:
kitsunekoz said:
I HATE FUNimation !! dammit why can't they just GO AWAY ! CEASE TO EXIST !

1. Because they pump money into Japan's anime industry so we can get more anime

2. Because some people like having physical legal copies of anime/knowing that in a small way they're helping the industry.


very true, there are people that would rather own anime legally on dvd then download it onto our computers

plus why funimation of all things?! something tells me you're a dub hater
"everyone knows that the last toes are always the coldest to go."

Telavators-the mars volta
 
Mar 4, 2010 4:44 PM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 527
rolddy said:
well i don't really care
Your comments are shit. You respond negatively to almost every article I see you in.

Anyways, I won't buy them, but licensing isn't that bad to me because there are still a lot of less popular sites that keep these things.
 
Mar 4, 2010 4:47 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 684
Why the hell does FUNimation have to acquire absolutely everything?
 
Mar 4, 2010 4:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 745
YoKozo said:
ReaperEXE said:
They went with such a literal translation, Baka and Test - Summon the Beasts...
Actually, this is the "English translation" seen on the Baka to Test character song album, so this is probably the official name they gave it.


Its an awful name though.
That can't even be called a literal translation as its only half of one.
If you're going to translate the name, you should translate the whole thing. As it is, that title just sounds really awkward :|
 
Mar 4, 2010 5:02 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 1084
Lol Dance in the Vampire bund?? Really??

garfield15 said:
kitsunekoz said:
I HATE FUNimation !! dammit why can't they just GO AWAY ! CEASE TO EXIST !

1. Because they pump money into Japan's anime industry so we can get more anime

2. Because some people like having physical legal copies of anime/knowing that in a small way they're helping the industry.


I would be fine as long they don't hunt the subbers, cause for some of us the only way to get anime is trough fansubs, not everyone lives in the USA/UK -_-

And international sales barely pump any profit to the japan's industry, you seen the Production IG chart? International sales were an extremely small percentage and Production IG is one of the companies who focuses more on the international market.
 
Mar 4, 2010 5:06 PM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 4
yeah leave it to FUNimation too ruin it all for everyone, FUCKIN BASTARDS
 
Mar 4, 2010 5:17 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 2093
Soulstrider said:
Lol Dance in the Vampire bund?? Really??


Yeah, FUNi! It was supposed to be Bakemonogatari! What are you doing? This isn't Moonphase where that was actually somewhat decent.
Soulstrider said:

I would be fine as long they don't hunt the subbers, cause for some of us the only way to get anime is trough fansubs, not everyone lives in the USA/UK -_-

And international sales barely pump any profit to the japan's industry, you seen the Production IG chart? International sales were an extremely small percentage and Production IG is one of the companies who focuses more on the international market.

I can't argue with the first part

The second part though, so are you saying they should do nothing? At least a little bit isn't nothing.
 
Mar 4, 2010 5:24 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 4172
. . . Baka Test? I ♥ you, Funi, but really? :|

Looking forward to Dance in the Vampire Bund, though.
 
Mar 4, 2010 5:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1530
I'm definitely not amused. It's pretty obvious that 'Baka and Test -SUMMONED the BEASTs' will be ruined by funnymation.

I should get vampire bund before getting blocked.
 
Mar 4, 2010 5:38 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 2688
Wonder if they'll censor a certain scene in vampire bund :>.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
Mar 4, 2010 5:45 PM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 38
Well, i'm not as interested in vampire bund as much as baka to test, so the former doesn't really matter to me (sorry if i offend any vampire bund fans), but choosing baka to test is just.... random. weird. and i just really hope that the fansubbers (especially mochi) will not get affected by funimation (cus funimation's translations are just too literal as usual).
 
Mar 4, 2010 6:17 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 281
...wow. Fail, with the Vampire Bund...

*is still waiting for Funi to make even worse marketing choices and license The Anime Hardly Anyone Save For Herself The Neutralist Will Buy*
Modified by SoneAnna, Mar 4, 2010 6:28 PM
 
Mar 4, 2010 6:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 3709
KayChan4U said:
Leave it to Funi to acquire something that isn't even finished its run in Japan..and FMA doesn't count.

You know they're going after Durarara really soon considering its popularity. I can already see Kimi ni Todoke and Letter Bee on their list as well. And hell, while they're at the fail of getting Vampire Bund, why not take Ladies vs Butlers as well?


Crunchyroll has Durarara!! right?
 
Mar 4, 2010 6:32 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 4172
Bernkastroll said:
...wow. Fail, with the Vampire Bund...

*is still waiting for Funi to make even worse marketing choices and license The Anime Hardly Anyone Save For Herself The Neutralist Will Buy*


I'd totally buy that if they licensed it :3
 
Mar 4, 2010 6:35 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 170
Lordcrab86 said:
man funimation are on a roll! i haven't seen either shows but i a interested in baka test, looks promising

plus isn't it odd that these shows have been licensed and they both are still airing?


Should try Vampire Bund it's actually really good once you get it
 
Mar 4, 2010 6:36 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 281
the_seventh_l said:
Bernkastroll said:
...wow. Fail, with the Vampire Bund...

*is still waiting for Funi to make even worse marketing choices and license The Anime Hardly Anyone Save For Herself The Neutralist Will Buy*


I'd totally buy that if they licensed it :3


OK AWSM. .___.

Still with this Vampire Bund though...I can't believe even Funi's gotten on the Vampire Bandwagon. >____<
 
Mar 4, 2010 6:51 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 172
FUNimation really does suck. It's a shame they are scooping up all of these good shows.
 
Mar 4, 2010 7:38 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 3709
I don't mind that they scoop of the good shows, I mind that they send C&D's to EVERY GROUP.

They stopped everyone subbing Soul Eater, and then didn't come out with the DVDs themselves for like a year.
 
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Top
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »