Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 25, 2010 9:14 PM
Aug 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A decent collection to any Maison Ikkoku fan. If your watching this for entertainment value, you are in a world of surprise since this is practically a recap of seeing all the characters once again and animating the last section of the manga.

Aug 10, 2010 10:59 PM

Sep 2008
Yeah, I was expecting an after story, but it was rather a side story from the last episode of the series.

Still, a welcomed addition to the great series that is Maison Ikkoku.
Aug 13, 2010 11:41 AM

Sep 2008
I actually really enjoyed this, even though they killed Yagami and made her hideous. I mean, seriously, come on. I think that they didn't show after the wedding because we all know that Yagami fulfills her goal of an affair.

Seeing the puppet people again was great, but the whole thing was won by Akemi, being so lax and oblivious yet still keen on things.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 23, 2010 1:52 PM

Jun 2007
Not sure what the hell was with the fugly, changed art style, but pretty much everything else was great. It was obviously a little disappointing to watch something titled 'Final Chapter' and then discover the movie/special occurs before the wedding, and a year before Kyoko has a baby, but it was good fun to see all of the characters get together for one last fillerized romp.

I'm always afraid when dealing with 'original story' stuff that the spirit of the original work will be lost, but the actions of the characters - Yotsuya in particular - came across so naturally that, had I not read the manga, I would've assumed it was an adaptation of a manga chapter or two. Towards the end of the anime, Godai hadn't been bullied too often due to all of the end of story drama, so it was great to see the gang do what they do best and wind Godai up for entertainment purposes, on the eve of his wedding. (I was actually impressed with how fast they convinced the poor guy that Kyoko was having an affair!)

Yagami getting time was good to see, also. She kind of vanished after pressing Kyoko's buttons in the proper story, and I almost feel regret over not seeing her add more fuel to the fire when Kyoko totally flipped at the end. I must admit that I was left disappointed by her not attempting to rape Godai, Kyoko walking in, assuming the worst, and entering ignore mode. Cute, angry Kyoko adds at least 0.5 to any rating.

The whole thing about Kyoko keeping a photo of Godai she stole for four years was a very nice touch. It's a shame that wasn't in the manga since it would've provided more insight into the timing of her falling in love with Godai...

...oh, and I have no idea why Nikaido - a character I can barely even remember - was included when even the slow-paced anime didn't have the space required to fit him in. Weird.

Edit:

I forgot to mention the best part: the puppet show. It truly was hilariously accurate; especially the bit about Kyoko keeping her distance from poor Godai because of Mr. Rich. If only Godai and Kyoko had teamed up one last time and put on another puppet/comedy show...
Jan 4, 2011 8:49 AM

Apr 2009
Unfortunately that was not good. Seeing how the last few episodes of Maison Ikkoku were arguably its strongest part I expected sth similar. Instead we get more of what annoyed me during MI's long run, the insensitiveness of the tenants, Godai's exasperating lack of confidence, silly misunderstandings, while at the same time we get nearly nothing of what made the series good and have to bear with fugly animation as a bonus. The only positive aspect of the movie is that it paid some attention to Yagami, poor girl needed a bit more love near the end, plus some more Master/Akemi moments... does that make it worth the effort? Not unless you are a hardcore MI fan, if not just stick with the series finale...

BTW, just who the hell is Nikaido?
Mar 15, 2012 2:36 PM
Dec 2010
Overall Not bad but end of the series was way better,this was somewhat of same quality as middle of TV series.
story> well least important random let's bully Godai thing again, I'd be much more happy with after story then this again.
Art > It was somewhat weird, they kept on remaindering me wooden figurines with those sharp noses and stuff.
Characters > was it just me or Yagami was like different person? Rest of the bunch was somewhat same.

This Movie is good as to see gang once again in what they always used to do in series , but it has long way to go to reach enjoyment from the end of TV series.
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Apr 30, 2012 1:57 AM

Feb 2011
in case your wondering who nikkado is, he's a supporting character in the maison ikkoku manga who is often the target of yotsaya's jokes and is very clueless about Godai and Kyoko's relationship and has a crush on Kozue. He's not shown in the anime series, but he makes his apperance in the movie. There's also more intimate scenes with Kyoko and Godai too in the manga than in the anime.
Jul 13, 2012 2:12 AM

Jun 2010
Does anyone know where I can find the movie? I checked on BakaBT and it's not there.
Dec 15, 2012 9:07 PM

Feb 2011
alright movie, but was totally expecting more.
Aug 6, 2013 6:37 AM
Aug 2007
Well, I was expecting this OVA to be an actual sequel, continuing on from episode 96. Instead it just fits between 95 and 96.

First of all, the art.. my god it was bad. The actual story in this OVA doesn't really go anywhere and once again relies on misunderstandings and annoying tenants, however I can't stay mad at the tenants because it was the last time I'll see them and if anything, at least we get to see one final party.

I'm glad that Yagami got screen time and we got to see her reaction to hearing about the marriage (even though it's probably filler and not actual canon) because she was pretty much nowhere to be seen during the final episodes of the main anime.

It was nice that everyone came to visit Godai on his last days before getting married as well. And the puppet show was great. Nikaido showing up out of nowhere was kinda weird though (I have never read the manga btw).

Overall I didn't really enjoy this... it had none of the charm of the anime, but it would probably more enjoyable to watch if you watch it before ep96.
Jan 3, 2016 10:56 PM

Dec 2014
good movie though the art has changed drastically but gave an great good feeling
Mar 10, 2016 10:47 AM

Jun 2013
I liked Michael Jackson's photo
Aug 12, 2016 9:50 PM

Jan 2013
I want to say for a fact there was more than a 2 year difference between Yagami and Ikuko. Since they are 20 and 18 respectively here.

Finally Kyoko says she loves him outloud.

The art was slightly strange during this movie, it was a lot more detailed then the TV show but the character models felt off occasionally. There were a few bits of impressive animation though.

I liked how this took place almost in real time.

I guess Godai is 25 maybe 26, Kyoko is 28, and Akemi is almost 30.

Also, they've had sex by this time. I wish they were a bit more playful when they were alone.
Nov 14, 2016 11:39 AM

Oct 2016
It was enjoyable. It does fill in that week between her finally saying "Goodbye" to Soichiro and the wedding a little bit, but the movie did have some continuity errors.

At that point, I don't think Yagami would have been 20 yet.

Ikuko wouldn't be in college at most she would have been like a first year in highschool.

The biggest one obviously was that Mitaka and Asuna showing up to show that she was pregnant even though they find out in the anime at the wedding reception at Chachamarus.

Salad should have had McEnroe's and her's puppies long before that since it was a year later.

Also, Anyone find it strange that it took Kyoko another 5 DAYS after her final goodbye to Soichiro before she actually returned his items to his father? When in the anime it implied she was doing it the day that she and Godai were at the grave. Stuff like that in the anime annoyed me because while it's understandable, her hangup on Soichiro, at that point she loved Godai. It always made you wonder that while his love was only for her, was it the same for him? Did he have all of her love? Because the way she fondly spoke about Soichiro especially in front of Godai who she supposedly loved now was incredibly frustrating to hear at times and made him come off as just a second banana.
Jun 10, 2017 8:46 PM
Mar 2016
This movie was weird. It's more like an alternate reality, featuring the random tenant who is never in the tv, Master proposing to Akemi in a much different fashion, and the art style which I find just really bizarre and so different from Takahashi's style. Still, it was interesting and enjoyable.
rolltierJun 10, 2017 9:26 PM
Jun 28, 2017 9:50 PM

Oct 2016
rolltier said:
This movie was weird. It's more like an alternate reality, featuring the random tenant who is never in the tv, Master proposing to Akemi in a much different fashion, and the art style which I find just really bizarre and so different from Takahashi's style. Still, it was interesting and enjoyable.
It follows the manga more than the anime, but even then there are still some continuity errors.
Mar 27, 2019 1:18 PM

Nov 2016
The more detailed character designs were really nice eyecandy despite some inconsistency issues.

I also liked it storywise, nothing too great, but surely a nice addition.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 23, 2019 12:10 AM

Jul 2015
Nice movie, some characters stirring some trouble before the wedding, those tenants are toxic as ever

I actually expected a sequel instead of a story in between episode 92 and 93

Jun 30, 2021 12:35 AM

Jan 2018
"Final Chapter" except it doesn't take place after the last episode at all. Episode 96 really is the true ending. Which is weird since Urusei Yatsura Final Chapter didn't pull this. MAL lists this as a "sequel" too which is misleading because this is more like a side-story than anything else.
I heard some bad things about the movie and heard it was mostly filler so I skipped watching this after I finished the main series. I thought maybe if I took a few days break this movie wouldn't ruin my perception of the ending of the series, and I would also enjoy this movie more. The break was too long but I finally watched it.

First off I'd say the character design is weird. Especially Godai and Yagami. Why is their hair different color? Sakamoto looks older, and I confused Kyoko's dad with Ibuki's dad for a bit. Yotsuya and Ichinose look "normal". But somehow the only character that looks good or even better than the anime series is likely Akemi with her new underwear.
But the design that bothered me the most is Kyoko's. She looks similar to her anime counterpart but for some reason she looks less expressive? Not sure if anyone else felt the same. The fact that they changed the artstyle at all would piss some people off.

After reading the synopsis I could tell the ending was going to be predictable but the story overall is pretty decent. The only thing I wanted in this was having a decent conclusion to Yagami since she mysteriously didn't get one in the anime. That part did satisfy me although I believe it could've been done better. Yagami despite being 20 in this movie still acting like a child, albeit I suppose this was mostly due to her being in the influence on heavy alcohol. Isn't it risky to shove so many alcohol in to a woman who's barely legal? I think the best part in this movie was Kyoko and Yagami's conversation in the attic. Kyoko loves Godai. She also loves Soichiro. This feeling isn't something someone who has only fallen in love once can fully grasp, like Yagami.

The return of the puppeteers was the one thing that I didn't expect to happen in this movie. This makes me want to rewatch episode 15.
Akemi getting proposed by his bar manager was pretty cute. I think she knew exactly what he was talking about but chose to pretend to be an airhead instead. As always, the tenants were still assholes to Godai. It's weird they brought in the manga-exclusive tenant to make sense of the story. Ig this movie was made to pander to the manga readers. Or it was a way to indirectly promote the manga to anime onlies?

I think this movie is worth watching as an extra. A side-story taking place after the main story would've been really cool but it'd also feel unnecessary and pointless.

Those two subtle Urusei Yatsura references tho XD (Yagami impersonating Lum, and Mitaka naming their puppies Sugar, Pepper, and Ginger)
0451Jul 5, 2021 3:39 AM
Jun 30, 2021 7:57 AM

Jan 2018
So I just watched the 2 Japanese trailers for Maison Ikkoku: Kanketsu-hen for the first time and WTF. There are original footage there that are not in the final movie. Actually the whole trailers seem to have animation which can't be seen anywhere else to my knowledge.

The trailers basically show off different locations and if you've seen the movie you'll know that the entire hour-long runtime of the film takes place within Maison Ikkoku. I forgot to say this in my original comment but I kinda liked this approach. It felt like that even if this story was mostly anime-original it still kept the series' namesake.
But that doesn't explain why the trailers and the actual movie are different (the character design/artstyle is the same tho)

Does anyone have any reasonable explanation to this? Or were the trailers just a classic example of a bait & switch or even misleading/false advertisement to attract more customers?
0451Jul 5, 2021 3:41 AM
Jul 3, 2021 8:02 AM
Jul 2021
Kinda like a side story, but definitely worth watching if you liked the anime for what it is. The art style is so different thou.
Dec 14, 2021 2:56 AM

Aug 2020
Great movie sequel to the series. I love Godai's grandmother, she's so caring. Now it's Kyoko's turn!

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿

More topics from this board

Poll: » What exactly is this Movie to tv series (without spoilers ) - this is extention of last episode

greenmarty - Mar 15, 2012

1 by Jak »»
Nov 14, 2016 11:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.