Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 27, 2016 6:08 PM
Jul 2018
Today I had the opportunity to marathon a series that I have been saving for some time: Golden Time. This thread is not about Golden Time but for convenience sake, I'm going to use it as an example for my thoughts throughout the series about melodrama and logic/common sense.

I generally don't like shows that rely on appealing to our emotions by ignoring common sense or logic, albeit there being some exceptions. While watching the first 5-6 episodes of GT, I started to realize that I wasn't going to like this show, but I kept going anyway due to pure stubbornness and wanting to know why it has such good high score.

Turns out my own self from this morning was right, I ended up not liking it. But still, a lot of people seem to love this show despite all the moments that it tries to "insult our intelligence".

So this got me wondering how much a show can get away with as long it creates drama for the viewer to enjoy, or even if it needs to make sense.

Just like any other, I enjoy drama, but I prefer when it makes sense. For example, in Steins;Gate everything fits together nicely. The plot makes sense, the characters interactions make sense and the resulting drama comes off as natural. The writers gave priority to logic over drama. Whereas in Golden Time, drama is given priority over logic. For example, characters either say or act out of character or retarded so someone can cry, get angry and eventually make peace with whoever they were angry with. just in case, I know both shows are completely different with different aims, and that's the point of this paragraph. I want to make a contrast between logical development that leads to drama and "illogical" development that leads to drama

Both shows are very different but both are well liked. So this got me debating with myself what's the perfect balance between drama and logic/common sense. And why people like or dislike melodrama. Thoughts?

For reference:
Melodrama: a dramatic form that does not observe the laws of cause and effect and that exaggerates emotion and emphasizes plot or action at the expense of characterization.
removed-userDec 27, 2016 6:17 PM
Dec 27, 2016 6:24 PM

Mar 2016
It was amnesia in the beginning and then they took some liberties with how it developed

But
People in real life don't always act logical either, I'm usually a pretty nice person but sometimes I'm a total dick or I say something that I don't mean, and then I just let the situation stay because it can be awkward to correct it.

Then change it into a drama and you kind of have to expect the situation
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 27, 2016 6:24 PM

Feb 2013
i dont get the "at the expense of characterization." part of the meryam webster definition
what characterization do we lose with exagerated emotion?
Dec 27, 2016 6:30 PM
Jul 2018
Extect said:
It was amnesia in the beginning and then they took some liberties with how it developed

But
People in real life don't always act logical either, I'm usually a pretty nice person but sometimes I'm a total dick or I say something that I don't mean, and then I just let the situation stay because it can be awkward to correct it.

Then change it into a drama and you kind of have to expect the situation
Even if it was meant to be amnesia at first, it could no longer be considered such after those liberties. Amnesia simply does not work like that.

The second argument is valid but I don't think it's fair to apply to this show. Because they don't act without logic rarely, they keep doing it throughout the show. It's intended for them to act like that for plot convenience.
Dec 27, 2016 7:19 PM

Jan 2016
Melodrama has always been one of my favorite genres, especially when it comes to representing a certain story/series.
But, I were thinking that not some or (probably) all of anime shows are making any common senses despite how they're being made in the first place.
In this case, it depends on the story/series, if "they" wanted to make it as a melodrama series, then "they" will just ignore the common sense and focus on the melodrama. Also, common sense is more predictable when a certain story/series revolves around a daily life of a certain person because it's mostly very close to reality. And, that's why, in order to attract people's attention, a certain story/series must go with the "acceptable" flows. In anime series/shows, it doesn't matter if you wanted them to focus more either on the melodrama or common sense because even if you did care about it, things just go the way they want.

Also, about this "Golden Time" series thing, I understand why you're confused of the series' rating. I'll just tell you that, because it has a nice way of storytelling, to be honest. Although the characters appeared to be somewhat "not focusing on the common sense and more to the drama/melodrama" but still, the story and relationship of each of the characters are what that made up for the series itself. You can also do some researches if you want to know why this anime series got such a high rating on MAL. And, you must not forget that people mostly rated this series the way they wanted it to be.
CylicoFeb 26, 2018 4:49 AM
Dec 27, 2016 7:58 PM

Mar 2015
I am a BIG fans of melodrama and I am PROUD of it.

Mainly because I like the melody

And Golden Time is one of my fav. And our opinion definitely opposite. For Steins;Gate.. I hate time travel anime. Haruhi is the only exception.

Anyway, emotion is not always goes with "logic". Comparing Golden Time that emphasize on emotion and Steins;Gate where it focus on plot is kinda unfair my friend.
EsperDec 27, 2016 9:34 PM
This salad is salty favored
Dec 27, 2016 8:09 PM
Dec 2015
There is always this weird logic that melodrama is inherently bad. I've never gotten that. When people call something melodramatic, it usually means that the characters in the show cared more about what was happening than the viewer, which leads to the situation to seem pretty dumb. If I care about the characters, then I probably care about what is happening to them, and drama doesn't seem forced or illogical.

For Golden Time, the characters were pretty bad and I didn't care for any of them. That's why I was totally unable to care about the decently executed drama towards the end, and it seemed melodramatic (ignoring the incorrect diagnosis for Banri). The plot was a mess though, with piss poor supernatural elements and crappy reasons for characters to be doing things.
Dec 27, 2016 8:14 PM

May 2016
Melodrama is not a bad thing by itself. Sometimes, people ARE melodramatic--can you really fault a series for having melodrama if being melodramatic is part of a main character's personality? The answer is "no," kids. That's called consistency.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Dec 27, 2016 8:30 PM

Nov 2013
I agree with your Golden Time example.

But for me it's not Melodrama VS Logic/Common Sense, but rather Melodrama VS Good Storytelling.

For example, Plastic Memories. The MC gets coupled with a girl, that will die in 3 months. Besides, that this makes little sense, it creates cheap drama. Similar to Your Lie In April.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Dec 27, 2016 9:27 PM

Nov 2014
I have to admit, I'm very likely to fall into the melodrama plot device. I don't know why particularly, but often such shows encompasses similar elements/events to my own life and I empathise with the character.

That said, Golden Time didn't trigger that within me, might be the obsessive nature of the main heroine.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Dec 27, 2016 9:39 PM

Apr 2015
I like logic more but if the drama done right I usually ended up with liking it.
Dec 27, 2016 9:43 PM

Apr 2013
Pitting melodrama against 'common sense' is kind of missing the point. Melodrama exists so a story can move more dynamically, stylistically and, probably most importantly, timely, through all of the themes and motives it's trying exhibit. It asks the viewer to disregard disbelief. Why do people keep complaining that media isn't real life? Also it seems like people only have objections when they can't buy into what those shows are selling. That's the underlying issue.
Dec 27, 2016 10:21 PM

Mar 2016
I always felt it depended on how much you could suspend your disbelief when it came to melodrama and how much the logic is actually shown/explored
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Dec 27, 2016 10:33 PM

Jan 2014
First of all, you can't compare Steins;Gate to a drama series. They aren't even in the same category. Second of all, Steins;Gate doesn't have much logic behind it - realistically speaking. (But that's beside the point..)

To get to what you were saying: Golden Time has flaws, and you're right.

To find a perfect balance, it's quite simple. All you have to do is explain the character's thoughts/reasoning behind said action. A perfect example of this is My Teenage Romantic Comedy. It's also my favorite drama, hint hint. Check it out if you haven't xD

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Dec 27, 2016 11:25 PM

May 2015
I don't think logic is what really counts in liking a melodrama or not. I would say that engagement and immersion are what really counts. Melodrama wants to cause a big emotional reaction but if you don't care about the characters at all then even the most dramatic thing might not touch you.
Usually the characters have to be believable at first in order to get attached to them then when the melodrama happens I will feel involved.

Steins:Gate is not that logical, sending messages in the past with a microwave sounds rather nonsensical to me.
Also Okabe being the only one to transfer consciousness across the time lines or maintain the memory of other time lines is pretty much like being the chosen ones in fighting shounen, not logical but it is excused with a convenient explanation.
However it is the first half of slice of life that creates bounds between the characters and the viewers as a build-up to allow more engaging melodrama later on.

Jojo's first episode is pretty much what makes Dio such a great villain to me. It offers backstory, characterization and makes him believable through those realistic evil acts. Once I got involved thanks to that I was very prone into accepting the series logic despite how nonsense it could seem if you take a step away and look at it from the outside.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 28, 2016 12:03 AM

Jun 2015
this reminds me, i watched this show but havent updated it in my list.

Meow stupid.

btw did any one else think kaga koko was just a flimsy vapid bitch who changed lovers without much .........

well she stalked and followed mitsuo to his college, but at the drop of a hat [hair color actually she switched to banri......
Dec 28, 2016 12:27 AM

Mar 2015
KuroudoAkabane said:
btw did any one else think kaga koko was just a flimsy vapid bitch who changed lovers without much .........

well she stalked and followed mitsuo to his college, but at the drop of a hat [hair color actually she switched to banri......
Nope, I think that was the right decision. Picking up a nice guy that "wish for you" is better than chasing "unrequited" love~
Dec 28, 2016 12:35 AM

Jun 2015
Esper said:
KuroudoAkabane said:

Nope, I think that was the right decision. Picking up a nice guy that "wish for you" is better than chasing "unrequited" love~
but the real banri [that ghost apparition of his actual memories] wanted to get back with rinda
Dec 28, 2016 12:37 AM

Mar 2015
KuroudoAkabane said:
Esper said:
but the real banri [that ghost apparition of his actual memories] wanted to get back with rinda
That is the whole point of the story my friend. He move on.. Leave the past and start a new journey.
EsperDec 29, 2016 8:35 PM
Dec 28, 2016 3:35 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I find that things that try to speak to the mind as opposed to the heart strike me as unnecessarily uppity and up their own ass more often than I find the opposite unnecessarily cheesy or sappy, so I'll choose melodrama over logic. Which, that wording totally doesn't strike me as being a loaded question at all, I should add.

Gimme something that tries make me feel a sense of caring and investment in ways other than just trying to play up on people with self-flattering standards that are often only trying to compensate for a sense of intellectual insecurity. Generally a better viewing experience for me to have something try to appeal to me on an emotional level than try to be thought-provoking and deep, I've found.

Dec 28, 2016 4:23 AM

Nov 2009
I enjoy it a lot when a work is solid at depicting things I actually know about.
Sure, a work can kick reason to the curb and rely purely on rules of cool, drama or whatever. I've seen a lot of works like this, and even enjoyed some of them.
But they cannot appeal to me in the same way that works which are easy on suspension of disbelief can.

Note that just because a work's logic is solid, doesn't mean it's boring. Just look at Mouretsu Uchuu Kaizoku.
Why a bunch of cosplaying schoolgirls can rob a ship? Because they can turn off oxygen, that's why. And they've got a nice agreement with the shipping company, because tourists like being robbed by pirates. Adventure!
Dec 28, 2016 4:27 AM

Mar 2015
Melodrama is basically whatever drama people don't like.
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete..." -Alphonse Elric

"Then and now, what I protect has never changed!" -Sakata Gintoki

I'll take anything like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. Anything as good as that.
Dec 28, 2016 8:28 AM

Jan 2016
It just means that it resonated with them. Simple as that. To those whom those melodrama spoke to them, of course, your own concern doesn't really matter. We have different experiences in our life and have various differentiating suspension of disbelief, I guess.

Pretty sure Golden Time resonated with at least people who have experienced a relationship of some kind. Your gripes with it, even if they do acknowledge it, doesn't really matter.
Dec 28, 2016 9:59 AM

Apr 2015
It depends on how much thought and emotional investment you want to put into the setup and execution of the drama/melodrama. The more thought and less emotional investment you put into it, the more melodramatic things will appear. On the other hand, the more emotional investment and less thought you put into it, the more emotional and powerful a series will appear.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova

More topics from this board

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - 3 hours ago

11 by epidemia78 »»
11 seconds ago

» Best Trap Character in Anime?

GoatPieceLuffy - 1 hour ago

40 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
1 minute ago

» Do you have any special memories from the anime fandom?

RobertBobert - Today

3 by JaniSIr »»
3 minutes ago

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - 1 hour ago

16 by Nurguburu »»
4 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

62 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.