Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Sep 30, 2016 4:30 AM

Apr 2011
Its over.

Freyja won. But still think Mirage will still be sticking with Hayate. He never rejected her anyway. Still. I think Mikumo could have been a better love rival. She's a more interesting than Mirage. Its a shame she didn't have much screentime. The ending felt really rush on this on this one. It didn't felt like an ending for me.
Sep 30, 2016 4:50 AM

Oct 2008
yeah right! the POWER OF LOVE! <3_3>
only redeeming factor is white knight Keith & other windermereans joining force helping Walcure and even Bogue blushed! LOL!
4/5.
7/10.

Sep 30, 2016 6:55 AM

Mar 2014
I'm not too satisfied with the rushed ending, hopefully maybe they can make a movie like Macross Frontier, have better story pace, character development and ending

This show deserves better
RedChromeSep 30, 2016 7:50 AM
Sep 30, 2016 11:26 AM

May 2015
i´m Disappointed, man, I Love Macross Series so much, a lot of good memories, they´ve destroyed everything, with this crap show, solid 4/10, a few years ago,i couldn't even imagine myself rating something from Macross Series above 8/10, I´m really really REALLY sad, :(
Sep 30, 2016 4:50 PM

Aug 2012
Ok, been busy, and actually have some people to respond to.

First off, for those who say the traditions were broken, technically your wrong. Freya is middle aged for her race so if you want to be specific, by her standards(which in a sci-fi show with now multiple races you should) THE OLDER FEMALE STILL WON!!!

@FlamingMangos
I wasn't even referring to the fact that the person who sings it loses. THAT isn't a part of the tradition. That's hardly even a thing. In Macross PLUS, the one who sings it is a side character in a karaoke bar WHO IS ALREADY MARRIED AND HAS KIDS! I was referring to the fact that it wasn't sung or seen in any fashion which hasn't happened except for Zero which, being a prequel, has an excuse. And Tradition doesn't always mean the exact same thing every time. In fact, that finale was more of a straight rip off of Frontier than any kind of 'tradition' could have done. So that was lazy writing. Oh, and that 'confession' was them just screaming at each other and Hayate ignoring Mirage much like the writer did all season.

@alterzero
Nice reason there. I don't know how new you are to the series but yes, in the past entries, when there is 2 women and 1 man in the Triangle, its generally the older woman who does win his affections. I will be up front that on first impressions, I like Mirage more, but as the series went on and she didn't get any development besides 'She's a Jenuis' I just didn't see it going any other way.

@YK97
Hey, the music was one of the best things that came out of this show.

@kaimax
Nice shorthand. Gonna have to remember that.

I came on here to tell the people who have joined this franchise with this entry that this is one of the weakest entries(Personally one of my least favorites, but that's even more subjective) and to check out the rest of the series. I notice that most of the people saying how amazing it is isn't comparing it to the rest of the entries because they haven't seen it. I don't have an issue with people saying they enjoy it, what I have an issue with is people saying it has to be better than the rest...without seeing the rest. Basically, if you liked this, your are going to love the rest. I suppose that's the nicer way to put it.
Sep 30, 2016 9:50 PM
Aug 2016
NeoRevan said:

@alterzero
Nice reason there. I don't know how new you are to the series but yes, in the past entries, when there is 2 women and 1 man in the Triangle, its generally the older woman who does win his affections. I will be up front that on first impressions, I like Mirage more, but as the series went on and she didn't get any development besides 'She's a Jenuis' I just didn't see it going any other way.

Started with Frontier Movies, then Frontier TV series and then Delta, watched DYRL after Delta episode 13. I am a huge fan of the Frontier Moives , it was soooo mouthwatering. I definitely liked delta tv series over the frontier tv series though. DYRL was nice but well i liked Frontier movies compared to anything else. It was visually stunning, well paced plot, great fights, great mechs like lucifer and durandal. Sayonarra no tsubasa was one of the greatest songs i have heard. the lyrics were great. Valkyrie theme and whatnot instilled in them. DYRL is always a favourite old song. I literally fawned over star singer mikumo as she sang the lines "oboete imasuka" . And as much as i hate ranka...good job to her VA for singing DYRL. Original singer Mari Iijima was good. Anyway this episode sealed the deal as to how much of a mikumo fan am I hehehe. ~oboete imasuka~

PS: Have a look at drakengard 3 known as drag-on dragoon 3 in japanese version. It has great songs too!

Hailing mikumo again haha >.<
alterzeroSep 30, 2016 10:25 PM
Oct 1, 2016 4:37 AM
Nov 2013
Anyone else thinks the Protoculture are in fact the inhabitants of Ra Ciela or Ar Ciel (Surge Concerto and Ar Tonelico respectively)?
After all, both are civilizations where Song is Power ("Linen yor akata Ar Ciel, Hymmne xest pauwel", anyone?) and seemingly used it as a weapon through artificial humanoid singers (Mikumo for the Protoculture and Reyvateils in Ar Cielans' case). And the Song of the Stars was pretty much a galaxy-wide version of METHOD_METAFALICA/. in that it links conciousnesses, though without the whole "channelling the energy to create Paradise" element.

Obviously not a serious theory due to it being cross-franchise.

I just can't be bothered to convey my dissapointment.
Oct 1, 2016 11:31 AM

Mar 2016
@NeoRevan Songs were ok once you listen to the full version on FLAC but they are terrible due to sound balancing in the anime.

Like I said in my review, they are ok but not mindblowing like what we got from other entries of the franchise. ( Too spoiled by good music tbh.)
Oct 1, 2016 3:07 PM

Dec 2007
The only thing I liked about this series was the songs and that is subjective. I feel bad for the people who didn't like the songs cause that means this series was even worse for them lol.
Oct 1, 2016 6:01 PM

Mar 2016
WhaleCostume said:
The only thing I liked about this series was the songs and that is subjective. I feel bad for the people who didn't like the songs cause that means this series was even worse for them lol.

I agree with you that's why I said music taste is subjective to everyone who said songs were good. I found them to be ok or above average compared to today pop songs but when you compare them to other Macross songs, they fall a little bit short. For my self, got too spoiled by good music for my own good. (In my case, I have synesthesia that connect my hearing with my taste. So every sound I hear, I get a taste. Can be beneficial but awfully annoying sometimes.)
Oct 2, 2016 4:06 AM

May 2015
Songs coupled with dog fights will always be the best with macross I'm glad they were able to deliver this much but still among all the other macross shows I feel that this one has a very shallow plot and the overall romance development was never really taken into account rushed at the last point giving the viewers no time to indulge in that triangle It doesn't even feel like a triangle.Another would be the other characters that were mentioned and teased but never appeared (LADY M).I'm hoping for a OVA or movie to wrap things up nicely or even the next show to be able to surpass the previous macross shows on all fronts that made this show so great that spanned decades.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 2, 2016 4:17 AM
May 2014
Could care less about giving my impressions because, really, Delta is satisfying for me.

NeoRevan said:
First off, for those who say the traditions were broken, technically your wrong. Freya is middle aged for her race so if you want to be specific, by her standards(which in a sci-fi show with now multiple races you should) THE OLDER FEMALE STILL WON!!!

Um, no.
Tradition is talking about the "older woman" in terms of "the more mature girl" in the love triangle. This is a stable part of Macross itself: Misa is more mature than Minmei, Sara is more mature than Mao, Sheryl is more mature than Ranka; hell, this even flies in the male side a little because Gamlin is more mature than Basara. For Delta, of the two, Mirage is "the more mature girl" while Freyja is "the less mature girl." Age is not a big factor here (besides Sara and Mao, all other girls in Macross love triangles were less than a year apart from each other).

Freyja winning is TECHNICALLY breaking normal Macross tradition; the "less mature" and "physically younger looking female" WON FOR THE FIRST TIME.
Oct 2, 2016 10:33 AM

Oct 2013
Holy shit, that was an lack-luster ending. RIP Closure, and it's not like they didn't have plenty of time either.

I've been SO patient with Delta, for the love triangle, for some really good development for Hayate, Freja and especially Mirage to come in the 2nd half and never got it - all that wait during the 1st cour was for nothing.

The Windamere's side caught my attention the most eventually, yet not even they got proper closure in their conflict with the UN. Keith just stabs Roid in a brief moment while shedding a few tears and they both go off with a bang (at least dedicate another 2 minutes to that scene Delta...it was supposed to be a pretty emotional moment).

So what gives? We had 26 eps, so no excuses for little to no development, proper closure to both the large scale conflicts or the "love triangle". I was initially happy that I we were getting another Macross at all, but..c'mon, #notlikethis. This is NOT how I want to remember Macross. I gotta go watch Frontier again...
Oct 2, 2016 12:10 PM
Jan 2013
HirouKeimou said:
Could care less about giving my impressions because, really, Delta is satisfying for me.

NeoRevan said:

Um, no.
Tradition is talking about the "older woman" in terms of "the more mature girl" in the love triangle. This is a stable part of Macross itself: Misa is more mature than Minmei, Sara is more mature than Mao, Sheryl is more mature than Ranka; hell, this even flies in the male side a little because Gamlin is more mature than Basara. For Delta, of the two, Mirage is "the more mature girl" while Freyja is "the less mature girl." Age is not a big factor here (besides Sara and Mao, all other girls in Macross love triangles were less than a year apart from each other).

Freyja winning is TECHNICALLY breaking normal Macross tradition; the "less mature" and "physically younger looking female" WON FOR THE FIRST TIME.

NeoRevan has a point though. Even if you indicated that older means more mature and that age is not a big factor, age is still part of who the characters are. The older female still won because Frejya has lived half of the Windermerean's average life expectancy, unless something magical happens and her life is spared.
endlessabyssOct 3, 2016 11:32 PM
Oct 2, 2016 5:16 PM

Jan 2013
Hoppy said:
I knew it all along Freyja would win, the factors were stacked in her favor.

8/10

It was a good ride but not as good as Plus, Frontier, or M7, the Walkure members are better characters compared to Ranka and Sheryl in Frontier.
At least this actually got a good ending romance wise, the ending of Frontier left a bad taste in my mouth.
Also the feeling you get when best girl wins is immensely satisfying.
Oct 2, 2016 9:04 PM
Sep 2015
I enjoy the music, the series "meh"
Oct 2, 2016 10:14 PM

Mar 2012
I'm not a hardcore fan of the Macross franchise, having watched only Frontier and Delta, but of the two, I enjoyed Delta a lot better, and it's not even close.

Let's start with the plot and concede that Macross Delta isn't heavy on producing a quality storyline (and perhaps it's not a strong point of the franchise either). Coming in after watching Frontier I wasn't expecting much and I don't think I was thrilled or disappointed. It was basically an imagination of "what happens if Japan were to go ballistic and attack America for WWII." I think the problem was that this was a fine plot that didn't close out right. What happens now that Windermere lost its most potent weapon (Mikumo) and its second most potent weapon (Heinz) passes away? Probably back to being oppressed by humans. And that's sad considering that it actually seemed like humanity is in the wrong this whole time...But then again, I wasn't too concerned when the series ended because if plot was its emphasis it wouldn't have limped its way to ep. 26 the way it did anyway.

Onto soundtrack. There really isn't much to say here. This is the series's strong point and I personally thought it was superb. I happened to be in Japan for a little bit this summer. And Delta was popular if for no other reason than its music.

Then to characters. Probably the most subjective part of my evaluation, but I just liked Hayate and Freyja a lot. Freyja was the highlight of the series. I liked Kaname and Mikumo as well. The rest of the cast I felt fairly nonchalant about, but they were likable and together made for a fun group. No pussyfooting either. Hayate and Freyja getting together was great, even if a little sad since we know Freyja will pass away in <15 years.

I enjoyed this series a lot. I like the fact that it doesn't really pretend to be too serious. The cast was relentlessly upbeat. The music was great. The plot was okay. Objectively this series sinks on the basis of all the plot holes alone, but for a non-critic, this was one of the best of the season, I thought. 4/5.
Oct 5, 2016 9:19 AM
May 2010
I think overall the series was perhaps a bit too rushed and, whilst it had the same length as Frontier, it differed in a very crucial way: Frontier focused on Alto's point of view and the two main girls and exploring the world through that. Delta didn't focus on one side and instead split up it's focus far more on the characters, it's focus was on the idol group with hayate as it's lens, aswell as the Winderamin's and their point of view. That difference meant that far too much time is swallowed up in covering basic storytelling parts, driving the story forward as opposed to fleshing the story out properly, simply put, there's not enough time to develop the cast because there is too much plot to cover and too many cast members in focus.

Other than that the songs and combat were enjoyable, though to be honest, I did enjoy this more than Dynamite 7 still so at least I give it that questionable honor.
Oct 5, 2016 10:52 AM

Jan 2013
I am so disappointed that this didn't end like Macross F instead of pulling up this crap.
The real world is past the virtual world is future.

Oct 5, 2016 10:56 AM

Sep 2016
Characters were likable, but the writing was crap. Glad to add a couple more songs to my playlist, glad that my ship sailed, but other than that, this show wasted so much potential.
...better to be hated for what you are than loved for something you are not.
Oct 8, 2016 4:16 AM

Jun 2010
1st half was fine, but the 2nd half was a hell torture to me
Oct 8, 2016 11:25 AM

Mar 2016
MechaMeister said:
1st half was fine, but the 2nd half was a hell torture to me

I agree with you. I think they could have cut the op to extent some screen time to be honest.
Oct 8, 2016 11:40 AM
Aug 2012
One of the biggest problem of this series was way too many characters and not enough time for development. We got backstories about the other 4 members of Walkure and their actual history right before the end of the show (well around 20+ episodes). Leaving aside the quality of the villains, less characters would have given more time for development.

Adding more fanservice (yes 2nd half of Macross Delta i am looking at you) isn't going to help if you force one typical and boring ship instead of the usual triangle and waste potential and interesting character development in favor of that forced cutesy romance. Heck even Mikumo by herself was more interesting than the so-call triangle(?).

Oct 8, 2016 3:53 PM

Apr 2011
As someone whose Macross Delta was their first Macross, I enjoyed it. Yes, the writing was pretty weak in the 2nd half, too many characters that didn't add to the story, wasting potential with plots, rushed ending.

But I like it. Now, I read all the replies to this thread and I understand that many who have been following Macross for years or even caught up recently find Delta very weak compared to the previous series. So I can't really say something to this but if someone still finds Delta good for them, I think it's nice to accept their opinion as well.

Delta made me start Macross from the start. I finished SDF and DYRL, Zero and Im watching Plus now (will finish it soon). From these, SDF/DYRL is the best but I find Zero boring. Plus seems interesting but I need to finish it first and give an overall opinion.

Anyways, Delta gave me Freyja who I love very much and I am happy Hayate/Freyja happened. The music part was pretty good too, I am thinking of buying the Walkure CDs in the future (when I will have money). Mecha fighting wise was average, the only memorable one is Keith vs Messer.

So all in all, I give Delta a 7.5 Might change or not, when I watch the rest of Macross and compare them but for now, it stays like this.
Oct 8, 2016 8:42 PM

Mar 2016
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
One of the biggest problem of this series was way too many characters and not enough time for development. We got backstories about the other 4 members of Walkure and their actual history right before the end of the show (well around 20+ episodes). Leaving aside the quality of the villains, less characters would have given more time for development.

Adding more fanservice (yes 2nd half of Macross Delta i am looking at you) isn't going to help if you force one typical and boring ship instead of the usual triangle and waste potential and interesting character development in favor of that forced cutesy romance. Heck even Mikumo by herself was more interesting than the so-call triangle(?).

The biggest problem is that it's a 26 episode show. I'm rewatching Frontier right now and it has episodes early in the series dedicated to flesh out the characters which Delta almost never do or fails to do so.

I agree Mikumo was more interesting than the so-called Triangle. That triangle felt so timid....

yuyyuka said:
As someone whose Macross Delta was their first Macross, I enjoyed it. Yes, the writing was pretty weak in the 2nd half, too many characters that didn't add to the story, wasting potential with plots, rushed ending.

But I like it. Now, I read all the replies to this thread and I understand that many who have been following Macross for years or even caught up recently find Delta very weak compared to the previous series. So I can't really say something to this but if someone still finds Delta good for them, I think it's nice to accept their opinion as well.

Delta made me start Macross from the start. I finished SDF and DYRL, Zero and Im watching Plus now (will finish it soon). From these, SDF/DYRL is the best but I find Zero boring. Plus seems interesting but I need to finish it first and give an overall opinion.

Anyways, Delta gave me Freyja who I love very much and I am happy Hayate/Freyja happened. The music part was pretty good too, I am thinking of buying the Walkure CDs in the future (when I will have money). Mecha fighting wise was average, the only memorable one is Keith vs Messer.

So all in all, I give Delta a 7.5 Might change or not, when I watch the rest of Macross and compare them but for now, it stays like this.

You may have to get to Frontier to understand the frustration that some of us are facing when we're watching Delta.
Oct 8, 2016 10:11 PM

Mar 2016
To all people, I'll be rewatching Frontier.

Here's the topic for those who are in the ride: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1559705

Hope to see you guys there and have some fun discussion! :)
Oct 12, 2016 9:11 PM

Sep 2010
HirouKeimou said:

NeoRevan said:

Um, no.

Mirage isn't more mature than Freyja. Mirage NEVER actually dealt with any heavy issue and personal problem like Freyja got and she was emotionally immature and childish enough to blow a fuse and attack a civilian (Hayate). Mirage took Hayate and Freyja as her examples, but she is quite immature. Hell her only problem was of her own making, rather than the drama with Hayate's father or being called a traitor by her people or accelerate dying or having her joy job describe as the opposite as she wanted.

Don't mistake being 'serious' with being 'mature'.

Freyja got a serious heap of drama over drama and she handled it rather mature for a 15 years girl. When she hesitated or didn't do something, there was a legitimate stressful reason about it. While Mirage nearly let a whole ship of civilians die because she was scared of pressing her boobs on Hayate's back. She had to be told to snap out because of her childish embarrassment.

It did follow the Macross "tradition", the girl who wins is the one that makes the protagonist grow up. That was Freyja. Hayate was some aimless bum before she straightened his act and inspired him. Mirage never really taught him anything or changed his life, which is what Sara did with Shin (offering him a new perspective), Sheryl with Alto (in particular in the movies) or Misa did with Hikaru. Freyja changed Hayate's life likewise.
ThessOct 12, 2016 9:16 PM
Oct 14, 2016 6:41 AM

Apr 2008
It was macross-y. Music won in the end, and the MC gets/saves the girl. In recent MAcross, the rival dies/disappears.

(shrugs) JUNNA you're so pretty singing "DYRL." Honestly, I think it's terrible that they puit it in there because it puts all the other songs to shame. Even in ep 24, it's used wonderfully (Mommy stuff). I really don't like the SDTK. I probably only liked 2-3 songs, and it's weird for this series.

Roid is a pain in the butt. Yep, of course. (Pun intended!)

Might end up with a movie. Rating 5/10.
Oct 28, 2016 1:32 AM

May 2014
Good first half, but underwhelming and boring 2nd half. Last few episodes were meh
Fine show overall
6/10
Oct 30, 2016 4:39 PM

Feb 2013
Loli-Mirage in a plane. How cute.

This episode had the kind of action that the rest of this series should have had as standard.
Awe, no kiss? MAL, you were wrong. He picked Freyja not Mirage.

Best girl: Kaname (but not so much that she gets to be on my fav chars list)

5/10 and only because I'm a sucker for musical sci-fi.
Romance, not really. Characterization, poor. Action, sparse. Music, needed more often. Plot, missing.
Frontier was way better.
BurntJellyNov 3, 2016 5:57 PM
Nov 19, 2016 7:44 AM

Oct 2010
When I first started these series I didn't liked it but sticked to it cuz' I love Macross. Somehow it got even worse later on. Nothing clicked with me in this anime, especially characters and how some of them were under developed. Romance was especially weakly presented, even though some people loved it for some reason. There were few good songs though but nowhere near epic as Frontier. The most underwhelming Macross yet.
Nov 19, 2016 9:22 AM

Mar 2016
Crimrui said:
When I first started these series I didn't liked it but sticked to it cuz' I love Macross. Somehow it got even worse later on. Nothing clicked with me in this anime, especially characters and how some of them were under developed. Romance was especially weakly presented, even though some people loved it for some reason. There were few good songs though but nowhere near epic as Frontier. The most underwhelming Macross yet.

It's too bad that we expect too much for a 8 year wait. Our standard was always high and they were able to meet it. Not this time.
Nov 27, 2016 9:30 PM
Oct 2012
Well that was mediocre. If I never hear another idol song again it'll be too soon.

This was the weakest attempt at "Romance" I've seen in a long time.

Lord Roid did nothing wrong

I was waiting for Bogue to get the crap kicked out of him and the show didn't deliver

Edit: I really though this show had potential at first because it looked like it would be Jem and the Holograms with Giant Robots-What happened to the Immelman Dance?
K0NR4DDec 5, 2016 12:00 PM
Dec 4, 2016 6:58 PM

Jun 2013
I was a bit hesitant to watch after reading all the reviews but I wanted to give it a shot anyways since I enjoyed Macross Frontier. I liked the beginning of the series and the uniqueness of the main characters but the creators didn't utilize those first few episodes to properly develop those characters. In addition, they were poorly written with little romance and as usual with an idealistic protagonist.

The story was interesting but it didn't feel balanced with the Mecha action and the music because I strongly felt that the action sequences were being overshadowed with the musical part of the show. However I did like all the aerial combat but overtime they just felt like repetitive skirmishes with no real conclusion. They just kept fighting and showing off their cool moves like the "Immelmann Dance" but not doing any real damage to the opponent. And it sucks because Mecha shows with a military theme are not meant to be so morality driven.

The last episode was very disappointing and kinda awkward with everyone confessing their feelings for each other. It just felt like a lame attempt from the creators to add a proper conclusion.

Overall 5/10
Dec 5, 2016 9:57 AM

Jul 2014
I hope there'll be another Macross series after this. This one was okay and it was fun to watch still (it's Macross, I'm biased that way), I enjoyed it sure but I liked Frontier wayyyyyyyyy more than this.

My favorite character is probably Mikumo, love her! But the thing I really love about this series is probbaly just everyone's relationship to each other. All the friendships and what-not, I loved watching it and how they all developed to what they came to be in the end.

As for Hayate and Freyja's relationship. I still think they work better as friends although they seem cute together as well. Definitely better than the possibility of a Hayate x Mirage thing going on anyway. :p
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Dec 26, 2016 9:09 PM

Apr 2010
That was a chore to get through. At least Mikumo's voice made it worth it.
Jan 27, 2017 7:23 AM
Apr 2016
Macross Delta Δ Character Data Sheet
Height,Birthday and Voice actors!

otakucalendarjapan.com
Feb 6, 2017 12:06 PM

Mar 2016
otakucalendarjp said:
Macross Delta Δ Character Data Sheet
Height,Birthday and Voice actors!

otakucalendarjapan.com

Our assumptions were right: we got teens fighting a space war. Dear lord.....
Mar 11, 2017 10:15 PM

Aug 2013
I really liked the anime, but I wanted to see a romantic ending with Mirage, certainly the best girl in my opinion, from the beginning the focus was all on Hayate and Freyja, in my opinion neither was it a love triangle, since Hayate and Freyja seemed to be in love and Mirage only developed a platonic love, this leaves me nonconformed, although it is an anime that I liked enough will leave a bitter taste for not having a happy ending with the girl that I shiped ..
Mar 29, 2017 11:40 PM
Aug 2016
only thing that got me going for this show was Mikumo. Couldn't care less about mirage and freyja at all.
May 28, 2017 11:53 AM

Apr 2017
Fai said:
Thess said:

Hayate and Freyja were basically younger and optimistic versions of Alto and Sheryl. I have no clue what they are on about. Their bond is basically a recycled Alto/Sheryl of the movies (the one KAWAMORI wrote). Even down their fateful childhood connection, mutual inspiration to embrace their dreams, and resonance through fold quartz.

Alto and Sheryl had motivations and personalities. The motivations that changed and developed. They had flaws, they made mistakes, they changed over the course of show.

Hayate is pretty much a blank slate self insert. He had something going for him at the start, but past Messer's death t here's absolutely zero character development for him.
Freya is pretty much a mary sue whose only identifiable trait is that she REALLY loves singing. Unlike Ranka, who at least had flaws even if she was just as insuferable, Freya has no identity beyond liking to sing.

They are nothing similar.

I know it's late replying to this thread but I just very, very, very strongly agree with this interpretation of Freyja.

Now, before I get accused, no, I don't ship HayatexMirage. I just don't ship Freyja either nor do I find her character necessary to the plot (or Hayate's for that matter).

Next, getting to the main point, if we examine the most widely agreed interpretations of mary-sue, Freyja is pretty much a textbook example, with the only difference being that she's a canon sue, and not a fanfiction sue.

Here's what most sites define a mary sue as (often in combination for this to count):
1. a character with impossibly good looks OR unusual physical traits that aren't essential to the plot
2. a character who is overpowered in one area OR too widely multi-talented, but basically capable enough that they can solve issues without much development of their abilities needed
3. a character who is popular with everyone or just popular with all the necessary characters for their success
4. a character who succeeds with improbable ease
5. a character, who, in addition to multiple of the above, also wins romantically

And here's how Freyja fulfills, not just one, nor just a fraction of the above, but all of the above:

1. Her hair antenna. Heartshaped. For an alien organ it looks more like a hair accessory than an organic part of her body. It also gets turned on by music! To add to it, most other Windermereans can control their antennae, yet Freyja is so special that she can't and the dam thing gives her emotions away so people know when to baby her when she doesn't have everything her way.

2. Singing/Fold wave emission. Her abilities are so strong that the moment she sang, she overpowered everyone else in the Walkure. And on top of that, somehow, she is as strong or stronger than her planet's future king/crowned prince (the Wind Singer) at it. Oh and of course, her singing technique is already perfect so no need to develop there.

3. She is somehow popular with the masses even though there's suspicion that she could be a spy. In terms of the attention that was given, pretty much nobody gave a dam for very long. Her team and organization also never had any major enough suspicion of her allegiance to prompt action. Yet if Windermere's travel restrictions are put into consideration, why didn't they? And I'll put aside Hayate's actions for her in episode one as just him being a teenager on hormones. But the rest of the cast doesn't really have any reason to be so kind to her. Never mind that I find it funny the authorities didn't just ship her back to Windermere for illegal immigration...
And sure, you can argue Bogue doesn't like her. Except he's the enemy. This girl literally doesn't have anyone on the "good" side who dislikes her yet she probably should have some dislikes given her lack of professionalism. I've had to work with people who lacked professionalism in the past and I can't say I was very forgiving with them.
And...let's not forget about the free phone some stranger gave her in the early episodes. Boy do I wish I could get a free phone just walking around my home city downtown...

4. Her goal to join the Walkure was successfully completed by episode 3. There was...essentially no struggle. It wasn't like another singer took her spot because she wasn't good enough. It wasn't like she had a flaw that hindered her from passing the auditions that she had to spend episodes overcoming. It was more like, she just wasn't in the mood to pass during the auditions and Mikumo somehow knew this and subsequently put her in the mood to pass on the train afterwards. And this, isn't an example of how she pretty much bent her world's reality. /sarcasm
After this, to make it worse, she never really was at risk for being kicked off the team either. Mikumo's "threats" turn out to be empty in every instance. Also, Mikumo usually gave Freyja her answer or forced her to the correct action at every instance where Freyja could have done something wrong. Like that "memorable" slap in the later episodes. Nope, Freyja doesn't really need to solve her own problems, it seems. Everyone around her will do it for her. Way to go... -_-

5. The ending where even though she wasn't going to confess, her supposed rival MADE HER confess so that she could win the love triangle.

In closing, just in case anyone's going to ask me how come I don't feel Hayate and Freyja are necessary for the plot:

It's because I feel strongly this show would have been better if they just used Mikumo as the main character of the show and put her in a love triangle with Keith and Roid. Then, to fight the Aerial knights, Messer could have lived longer and had an even more impacting death. Mirage could have developed as a pilot and actually had an interesting character arc (not involving romance). Kaname could have also developed and showed growth as a singer by having a better focused bond with Mikumo. The "resolution" to the Windermerean conflict could have been something other than a forced love confession. The whole show could have been a unique, and still tradition-breaking Macross entry, rather than a watered down version of Frontier with almost everything done wrong in writing.

Note: I'm only criticizing the anime. I don't much care about the other Macross Delta media.

BalsaminaMay 28, 2017 12:00 PM
There's no inherent right or wrong in this universe, but when we think with emotions rather than logic, we make things so.
Oct 22, 2017 12:53 PM

Feb 2010
AT LEAST HATE DIDN'T PICK THE FCKING SKY

Jokes aside, at least he picked the better girl
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Nov 2, 2017 7:29 AM

Mar 2014
I pretty much agree with averything SongstressSL said but a have some remarks to make.

SongstressSL said:

3. She is somehow popular with the masses even though there's suspicion that she could be a spy. In terms of the attention that was given, pretty much nobody gave a dam for very long. Her team and organization also never had any major enough suspicion of her allegiance to prompt action. Yet if Windermere's travel restrictions are put into consideration, why didn't they? And I'll put aside Hayate's actions for her in episode one as just him being a teenager on hormones. But the rest of the cast doesn't really have any reason to be so kind to her. Never mind that I find it funny the authorities didn't just ship her back to Windermere for illegal immigration...

She may have been granted refugee status, Windermere is basically a space North Korea and is in conflict with NUNS, her scape from windermere could have been used as a propaganda tool to show how repressive windermere regime is as well as an example on how NUNS respect humans rights, free thinking and all that suff, even though i agree they had to at least show some more suspiction and interrogated her in order to get some intel on windermere, having her in walkure was an asset for NUNS politicaly speaking and this somewhat explains why everybody was so nice to her.

SongstressSL said:

4. Her goal to join the Walkure was successfully completed by episode 3. There was...essentially no struggle. It wasn't like another singer took her spot because she wasn't good enough. It wasn't like she had a flaw that hindered her from passing the auditions that she had to spend episodes overcoming. It was more like, she just wasn't in the mood to pass during the auditions and Mikumo somehow knew this and subsequently put her in the mood to pass on the train afterwards. And this, isn't an example of how she pretty much bent her world's reality. /sarcasm
After this, to make it worse, she never really was at risk for being kicked off the team either. Mikumo's "threats" turn out to be empty in every instance. Also, Mikumo usually gave Freyja her answer or forced her to the correct action at every instance where Freyja could have done something wrong. Like that "memorable" slap in the later episodes. Nope, Freyja doesn't really need to solve her own problems, it seems. Everyone around her will do it for her. Way to go... -_-

She passed the audiction because of the fold wave thing, i'm sure there may been better singers then her that day but musical prowness wasn't exactely what they were looking for, this also explain why they were'nt so eager to kick her off the group since it's a rare trait and forcing her to act professionaly would have been easier than fiding another singer with the same ability.

That's all i had to say, Macross delta is a hot mess and all the problems it had could have been avoided with a good pre-production planning and coherent screenplay and presentation, seeing how everything unraveled i can't help to think that delta was rushed and not much care was put into it, i'ts sad but what can we do.
TimeseekerNov 2, 2017 8:01 AM
Mar 1, 2019 1:16 AM

Apr 2009
Hoppy said:
I knew it all along Freyja would win, the factors were stacked in her favor.

8/10

It was a good ride but not as good as Plus, Frontier, or M7, the Walkure members are better characters compared to Ranka and Sheryl in Frontier.

tell me why these bunch of weebs are better than Ranka and Sheryl?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 5, 2019 4:37 AM

Apr 2015
I want a kiss scene between Hayate and Freya ><
Nov 19, 2019 1:14 AM

Nov 2016
note, my first macross series...

...and i actually liked it. i guess itll be all uphill if i do watch the other series right?
anime/manga version of steam would be awesome - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1625396
Mar 7, 2023 9:01 AM
Mar 2023
I have been waiting for the sequel for a year and its worth!
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

» Movie vs TV Series

Reshiram_IX - Jan 16, 2023

9 by donnascherer »»
Mar 16, 4:21 AM

Poll: » Macross Δ Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 31, 2015

447 by Zekkenshin »»
Jan 1, 10:09 PM

Poll: » Macross Δ Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2016

35 by SilverCrono »»
Oct 17, 2022 9:10 AM

» Macross Delta underrated? ( 1 2 )

SaltyShoebill - Apr 26, 2016

66 by procion »»
Aug 31, 2022 12:51 AM

» Would this be appealing to someone who watched Macross Frontier only and loved it?

kUshPandA_ENJOi - Oct 9, 2017

7 by procion »»
Aug 31, 2022 12:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.