Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jan 11, 2013 3:54 PM

Jul 2010
Oh, please, continue Akage no Anne. I finished it a couple days ago, and it is SO WORTH IT!
Jan 11, 2013 3:59 PM

Apr 2008
Cool to see you guys enjoying Anne. I'll be interested to read your words on it when you finish it. :) And Firechick, you can already share your words, under spoiler tags of course. ;)
Jan 12, 2013 1:40 PM

Jul 2010
I didn't mention any spoilers, did I?

I saw the first episode of Rose of Versailles earlier today. I saw the first half of it at my anime club, but I had to leave early and couldn't finish the first episode. It looks great for its time. I'd like to watch the rest of it, but I'll have no access to anime in a couple of days because of school.
Jan 13, 2013 9:35 AM

Jul 2010
Watching Sailor Moon. Ami and Rei are cool. Usagi's Japanese voice is annoying.
Jan 15, 2013 10:58 AM

Jan 2012
Galaxy Express 999. A masterpiece
Jan 25, 2013 4:57 AM

Apr 2008
Lately I have been in a urge to check some early nineties anime, because titles done in this particular time period had a special magic that is hard to find on other periods of anime, and the animation then was amazing too. Kodomo No Omocha came to my mind, but I can’t download it because I have some bandwidth limitations and isn’t available for streaming. Hime-chan No Ribbon is currently being fansubed by honobono fansubs and I don't want to risk to watch something now that I don't know when will be completed, it has been some months since they released their last episode. Sailor Moon also is an option, I remember the first season being good, but it has been more than 15 years since I saw it and I have been wanting to o back to it for some time now. I had restarted to watch Marmalade Boy, but came to a time where I needed to pause it and then I recalled Yawara which was being continued by L-E at a great pace (now copmpleted) and ended picking the show some weeks ago.

The show has been everything it promised to be. Great easy going romantic comedy with great characters, with that very special flavor of early nineties anime (which was just what I was needing). Great early storytelling from Urasawa sensei, completely more light hearted than anything that I have read/seen from him, but at least a great story from his is to be expected. I see here a strong Rumiko Takahashi influence in this comedy, but then, there's hardly a romantic comedy that it's not influenced by Takahashi-stories. But this Takahashi influence is most blatant in a character that is almost completely borrowed from Mitaka of Maison Ikkoku, rich, extremely popular with girls, quite the playboy, sparking teeth, and the thing that amused me the most, he has a phobia that makes for a good comedy.

Another influence that I spotted, but this one in character designs, not the faces, but the bodies and their forms, was from Katsuhiro Otomo, they are very similar in this point, later o, with his newer works, it never occurred to me, because years had gone by and Urasawa brushed that up, but here the influence in style is very noticeable. Sure I am watching the anime, but they keep it very faithful to Urasawa’s drawings. This Otomo influence is very likely the answer as to why he went with serious stories later.

Apart from the “Mitaka”-like character, all the characters are well built and are pretty much stereotypes of the genre, wth the exception of Jigoro, her grandfather which I think its one of the best characters of the story.
I am at episode 40something now and

Unfortunately (or not) I already know how the conclusion of the TV series will be, so I am enjoying it or what it is, like a slice of life series and not expecting more than I have here, though I admit that sometimes I’d like to see Yawara focused on her games more than the romance itself, but I’m enjoying it all for now.

Also, the series is very well directed and it’s the first directed series by the guy that made the funniest comedy school anime of the 2000s, for me at least, School Rumble, too bad that that one ended the way it ended, the third season being limited to a two episode OVA, the anime industry being evil again. I also thoroughly enjoyed Shingetsutan Tsukihime from him.
Anyway, this reminded to check on some of his titles later on, like Suzuka which I always had some sort of curiosity to check and maybe some other title of him if I get to find them.
Jan 26, 2013 7:00 AM

Jul 2010
I'm now on episode of 13 of Sailor Moon, and I think Nephrite appears in this one at the end.
Feb 9, 2013 11:53 AM

May 2011
I started Touch, I'm on the 10th episode, it's sweet so far!
Feb 10, 2013 1:52 AM
Feb 2012
Space Adventure Cobra. Pretty good so far.
Mar 30, 2013 2:07 PM

Mar 2012
Space Adventure Cobra is ace - I'm on episode 9 atm,
I also just started watching GE 999 TV, my biggest undertaking since LOGH. Seems like it shall be an enjoyable journey so far :)
Apr 2, 2013 2:50 AM

May 2011
I just started Slam Dunk and I'm already on the 10th episode! It's very funny!
Apr 4, 2013 9:29 AM

Feb 2010
Ekati said:
Obviously you've become a fan of Slam Dunk since you're cruising through it! I see you're in the 36th already and you've watched the 1st movie! ;)
Anakin1981Apr 4, 2013 1:03 PM
Apr 4, 2013 2:15 PM

May 2011
Anakin1981 said:
Ekati said:
Obviously you've become a fan of Slam Dunk since you're cruising through it! I see you're in the 36th already and you've watched the 1st movie! ;)
Thanks to tensai Anakin anime-man!
Apr 6, 2013 5:33 AM

Jan 2012
Ekati said:
Anakin1981 said:
Ekati said:

Both are brothers, right? At least they seem it.

Greetings.
Apr 6, 2013 11:18 AM

Jun 2009
SunWukung said:
Ekati said:
Anakin1981 said:
Ekati said:

Greetings.

Nope. Ekati is a goddess and Anakin is our senpai and sensei, guiding us in a huge anime ocean. :P
Apr 6, 2013 11:30 AM

May 2011
konnakude said:
SunWukung said:
Ekati said:
Anakin1981 said:
Ekati said:

Greetings.

Nope. Ekati is a goddess and Anakin is our senpai and sensei, guiding us in a huge anime ocean. :P
So true! :p
Apr 6, 2013 12:03 PM

Feb 2010
Ekati said:
konnakude said:
SunWukung said:
Ekati said:
Anakin1981 said:
Ekati said:

Greetings.

So true! :p
Lol... I see that I missed a lot of things written here! :D

That doesn't change the fact that Ekati has watched half the series already! Wow! Addicted! :p
Apr 6, 2013 12:33 PM

Jun 2009
Anakin! Just admit that you're jealous cause you've already seen it, while Ekati discovers the awesomeness of Slam Dunk! :P

And how come that you told me to watch Zillion, but I never got "must watch" warning about Slam Dunk from you? XD
Apr 6, 2013 4:25 PM

May 2011
konnakude said:
Anakin! Just admit that you're jealous cause you've already seen it, while Ekati discovers the awesomeness of Slam Dunk! :P

And how come that you told me to watch Zillion, but I never got "must watch" warning about Slam Dunk from you? XD
He was all "must watch" about Slam Dunk to me though.. :p
Apr 6, 2013 6:33 PM

Jan 2012
So sorry, then.
Returning to the subject, I'm still with GE999, Mach Go Go Go, among many others.
Apr 7, 2013 12:55 AM

Feb 2010
konnakude said:

Since you don't watch sports anime you lose the awesomeness of Touch and Slam Dunk and many other good series! ;)
Do you reconsider your point of view now? :p
Apr 7, 2013 2:28 AM

Jun 2009
Anakin1981 said:
konnakude said:

Since you don't watch sports anime you lose the awesomeness of Touch and Slam Dunk and many other good series! ;)
Do you reconsider your point of view now? :p

Hai, Anakin-senpai!

I'm definitely jealous of Ekati enjoying of Slam Dunk. I think I need to reconsider my views on some things in life, yes. XD
Apr 8, 2013 3:01 AM

Apr 2008
Normally people associate the anime with the sport featured and that is a big drawback to them, but sports anime goes beyond the sport theme and often have great character developments to dramatic proportions, and when a sports anime is good it's really good and addictive.

I was also pretty skeptical of sports anime until I got into Adachi and finished Touch, that was legendary moment for me and it opened my perception of how I embrace things. That and a couple of other examples in anime, from great stories in certain other genres that weren't appealing to me in the first place, opened my eyes and proved to me that being included in a genre doesn't make a story a bad story by default, it's the people that are behind that story that can make it a bad or a good story.

With that said, stopping to think about it, sports anime, is perhaps the best genre there is, because I don't remember a "bad" sports anime, while other anime genres do have plenty of bad stuff in them, in sports anime, you may find a less good stories but not really bad, I still have a lot to watch but, I don't believe I'll find a real "bad" anime. This is already offtopic but I couldn't avoid writing it down.
Apr 8, 2013 7:38 AM

Jun 2009
RobdeFR said:
Normally people associate the anime with the sport featured and that is a big drawback to them, but sports anime goes beyond the sport theme and often have great character developments to dramatic proportions, and when a sports anime is good it's really good and addictive.

I was also pretty skeptical of sports anime until I got into Adachi and finished Touch, that was legendary moment for me and it opened my perception of how I embrace things. That and a couple of other examples in anime, from great stories in certain other genres that weren't appealing to me in the first place, opened my eyes and proved to me that being included in a genre doesn't make a story a bad story by default, it's the people that are behind that story that can make it a bad or a good story.

With that said, stopping to think about it, sports anime, is perhaps the best genre there is, because I don't remember a "bad" sports anime, while other anime genres do have plenty of bad stuff in them, in sports anime, you may find a less good stories but not really bad, I still have a lot to watch but, I don't believe I'll find a real "bad" anime. This is already offtopic but I couldn't avoid writing it down.

Thanks for sharing your views here, Rob!
Now, I'm even more pumped up to give sports anime a fair chance. XD
Apr 8, 2013 9:34 AM

Jan 2010
I got exposed to sports anime as a kid, since they were showing Captain Tsubasa on TV in my little country under the Alps. I was in awe, since it was so much more intriguing than the rest of the childish/action cartoons at the time. Every day after school I went with my classmates to a nearby playground and we'd play football like crazy ^^ .

The only oldschool anime I'm going trough at the moment is Votoms and it's going slowly, and painfully xD. The jungle arc is tedious, but thankfully I'm almost done with it. I like Chirico and most of the other characters, but the action was kinda empty and the story was going nowhere.
(|__/) Never give up, aim for the top!
(='.'=) Top wo nerae!
o(")(") Anime music: http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=777199
Apr 10, 2013 12:21 AM

Nov 2007
The list of great sports anime goes on and on. It really is one of the only genres I can think of where the majority are quality. When it comes to the older titles, I have to agree and give the nod to Slam Dunk and Touch. Those are two incredible series that shouldn't be missed. Regardless of someones stance on sports in general. You can throw Ashita no Joe right up there as well. Though, I tend to think drama before sports when it comes to that one. But it's a healthy mix. Everyone needs to get over this sports anime hurdle. *laughs* Seems to be one of the genres people are the most hesitant about. Pop that cherry fellas. You'll never look back.
Apr 10, 2013 3:00 AM

May 2011
HisokaHajime said:
The list of great sports anime goes on and on. It really is one of the only genres I can think of where the majority are quality. When it comes to the older titles, I have to agree and give the nod to Slam Dunk and Touch. Those are two incredible series that shouldn't be missed. Regardless of someones stance on sports in general. You can throw Ashita no Joe right up there as well. Though, I tend to think drama before sports when it comes to that one. But it's a healthy mix. Everyone needs to get over this sports anime hurdle. *laughs* Seems to be one of the genres people are the most hesitant about. Pop that cherry fellas. You'll never look back.
I have only watched Touch and I'm watching Slam Dunk now, they are both very good!
Apr 10, 2013 10:34 AM

Nov 2007
Excellent to hear. :)
Apr 18, 2013 4:15 PM

Jan 2012
Touch.
Have a interesting history ang good OST.
Apr 24, 2013 2:57 AM

May 2011
I recently started Armored Trooper Votoms, I don't like mecha so much but this one seems good and definately better than the new series!
Apr 24, 2013 3:23 AM

Apr 2008
Definitely a worthwhile pick for people not much into Mecha anime.
RobdeFRMay 10, 2013 8:45 AM
Apr 24, 2013 11:28 AM

May 2011
RobdeFR said:
Definitely a worthwhile pick for people not musch into Mecha anime.
It was Anakin's strong suggestion that made me watch it!
Apr 24, 2013 3:13 PM

Jan 2012
Ekati said:
.... better than the new series!

Sure.
Apr 25, 2013 4:17 AM

Jul 2011
Votoms is the best mecha anime.
May 2, 2013 5:41 AM

Jul 2010
Despite the fact that I haven't finished Sailor Moon R, I've started on SuperS because I want to confirm for myself if what people are saying about it are true...yet surprisingly enough, I'm loving it! Episode 4 of this season is especially awesome!
May 10, 2013 8:48 AM

Apr 2008
After finished Little Women, I started (or resumed) Swiss Family Robinson also from the World Masterpiece Theater series. The character design here is not a Miyazakiesque as most of the WMT series are, but in the vein of the previous series from the previous year, 1980's Tom Sawyer, still very pleasant of course.
May 11, 2013 4:06 PM

Nov 2011
Just watched Panda ko Panda today thanks to neo1024's lovely new blu ray rip, very charming pair of shorts with some quirky animation, cute designs and catchy music. Worth checking out for fans of Totoro and Ponyo, as certain "riffs" appeared first in this. Also, look out for quick cameos of Lupin and Jigen and possibly the cutest 70s anime tiger next to Ben Bow from Treasure Island.

Also started Sherlock Hound, which Hayao Miyazaki worked on a few episodes, very fun Lupin esc takes on the classic detective tales, great soundtrack by Kentaro Haneda and a rather amusing dub which is adding a fair bit to the experience, with moi being British, so hearing it is quite a laugh. ;)
Jun 4, 2013 3:21 PM

May 2011
I have recently started watching Yawara! It's fun watching it so far and all the characters seem nice! Since its creator is Urasawa Naoki, I'm sure it will be really good all the way!
Jun 4, 2013 3:34 PM

Apr 2008
Don't expect Yawara to be much of "It's Urasawa!!". In fact, I was pretty dissapointed, there is nothing much of any shining Urasawa storytelling in there. Happy! feels by far more engaging. I'm just glad, he is sticking more with mystery nowadays and leaving the genretags Yawara has to Rumiko Takashashi.

For my part I just finished Hello Sandybell.
Starts of with sorts of a carbon copy of Candy Candy and all of sudden at episode 25 changes to a carbon copy of Hana no Ko Lun Lun (only that the magical girl item there makes infinitely more sense than this wannabe realistic super truck here), just to feel like half a copy of Nell close to the end.
Well, not a bad series, but I really am getting fed up with the ever repeating same formulas with interchangable heroine stereotypes and all too obvious oh so unobvious romance parings. =_="
Jun 5, 2013 2:23 PM

May 2011
Nevertheless, I enjoy it so far, so much that I can't wait for the next episode! Eventhough, I don't usually express an opinion until I complete sth, I can already tell that he is very good at comedies too! Urasawa isn't only Monster and 20th Century Boys, he is Yawara too, after all..
Jun 5, 2013 3:13 PM

Apr 2008
It got really repetitive after a while. If that's not a problem, guess then it's fine. It's pretty linear and over vast parts very predictable. Which is excactly not what Urasawa's otherwise multi layered storytelling is great for.
Jun 8, 2013 1:34 PM

Jan 2010
Oh Yawara is excellent, and it just gets better and better towards the end. It had great production value too, so the fact that it's a bit campy and old-fashioned at times didn't bother me at all. If anything, I prefer the classic orderly story progression.
(='.'=) Top wo nerae!
Jun 8, 2013 4:10 PM

Jul 2010
I just finished watching the first episode of Tonde Buurin, and...eh. It's average, but cute. I really can't stand the voices of Karin and Tonrariano's father, but I'll watch it because I need something new to watch.
Jun 8, 2013 5:45 PM

Jun 2009
Firechick12012 said:
I just finished watching the first episode of Tonde Buurin, and...eh. It's average, but cute. I really can't stand the voices of Karin and Tonrariano's father, but I'll watch it because I need something new to watch.

Good luck with that! Only 6 ep are subbed, and you need to watch it raw or in Russian.

And honestly, I could never understand how can someone make so harsh decisions only after seeing the first episode. It'll be the same as to read a couple pages of some book and say it's boring. The anime has 51 ep in total, so it's quite long too.
Jun 9, 2013 4:05 AM

Jul 2010
Oh, I wasn't trying to be mean or anything. I was just throwing my opinions out there, that's all. I didn't say I wouldn't watch it. Maybe it'll get better as it goes on. There's only a few episodes out, so it wouldn't hurt as a nice little time killer.
Jun 9, 2013 7:35 AM

Apr 2008
Boltz said:
Oh Yawara is excellent, and it just gets better and better towards the end. It had great production value too, so the fact that it's a bit campy and old-fashioned at times didn't bother me at all. If anything, I prefer the classic orderly story progression.

You thought? I'd be curious, what you liked of it. Perhaps I am looking at it from the wrong perspektive...
For me the ending (including movie) was pretty cheesy and gaudy. And something you knew would happen sooner or later from the first episodes on and it just dragged out over hundreds of episodes... The parts with Fujiko were by far more interesting than anything with Yawara, who just stuck there in a nerverwracking standstill most of the time.
And it's probably just me, but the judo moves really were lame after a while. Pretty much the same thing happening over and over again and the footage also looked always the same...

It's a nice series that captures the Zeitgeist of the time and has some more or less mature character compared to those in recent productions, but somehow that's it. =X
Jun 11, 2013 5:50 PM

Jul 2010
Great news! I'm back to watching Homeless Girl Remy again, thanks to Konnakude for sharing that link to that streaming site with me! Thanks forever, Konnakude!!!
Jun 12, 2013 12:33 PM

Jun 2009
Firechick12012 said:
Great news! I'm back to watching Homeless Girl Remy again, thanks to Konnakude for sharing that link to that streaming site with me! Thanks forever, Konnakude!!!

That's a good thing with being in our club. I've got myself so much help from admins and other members when I was a newbie myself. So it's payback time! :P
Jun 12, 2013 2:48 PM

Jan 2010
shina_luna said:

It's a nice series that captures the Zeitgeist of the time and has some more or less mature character compared to those in recent productions, but somehow that's it. =X

That's exactly it. Yawara is a classic shojo sports anime and I like how simple and straight-forward it is. Sure, most of the humor and cultural references are outdated, but I still find them interesting.

Yeah, Yawara is Yawara till the end. Her indecisivness is a bit of a running gag, but it's also used to elevate the suspense of the story. Her development is obvious, but she's just so adorable in her cluelesness.

Actualy, Sayaka's ending felt more touching to me. I had to shed a tear in the last scene in the series, because she's so proud no matter what. And Fujiko was probably the best character. I thought she was really lame at first, but she was so hillarious every time she was under pressure and she kinda grew on me.

The fights were amazing, but the last few were a bit rushed, I agree. I still get the shivers every time I hear Yawara's fighting theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tfdURZ8pB4&list=PL7AE4DE83C53A1ABC&index=112

I don't know why, but I love the 80's shojo production. There was a very nice clip when Yawara finished college and there was this song from Yuki Saito: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXxZ6-3fIiU&list=PL7AE4DE83C53A1ABC&index=88 .

I feel like Yawara is more than just sports and teen romance. It's also about growing up, reaching your goals and giving your best.
(='.'=) Top wo nerae!
Jun 14, 2013 10:34 AM

Aug 2009
Just finished Key the metal idol, by far the best idol shows I've ever seen. It felt like IdolM@ster + Texhnolyze lol an odd combination, but enjoyable.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Ongoing Old School Anime Fansubs ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

RobdeFR - Jan 26, 2010

2253 by JohnnyChuck »»
Apr 21, 8:08 AM

» A Thread for talking about Akira Toriyama

MrYuVideo - Mar 10

1 by RobdeFR »»
Apr 18, 8:46 AM

» I admit, I actually find Sailor Moon to be "girlier" than Tokyo Mew Mew and that's not a bad thing

removed-user - Feb 5

0 by removed-user »»
Feb 5, 5:14 PM

» Chronological Order of Some Well Known Anime

Anakin1981 - Sep 15, 2011

40 by Anakin1981 »»
Jan 29, 11:55 PM

» The oldest anime you've watched. ( 1 2 3 )

Vulfreyde - Mar 28, 2012

134 by AverageRiceFan »»
Dec 30, 2023 9:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.