Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 25, 2016 10:00 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Kinda interesting to see other branches of exorcists this episode.

They also adapted the scene with the 5 eyes (from chapter 187 I think). Creepy as hell though. Looks like Earl and the Noah Family reunites again. Glad to see Road as well! Decent action. Allen's encounter with Tyki gave me some legit chills this episode.

Stark700Jul 25, 2016 11:45 AM
Jul 25, 2016 10:07 AM
Jul 2016
I really like how they did the dream scene, that nightmare-ish feeling and distortion were perfect
Some scenes still have low quality though
Jul 25, 2016 12:05 PM

Jul 2007
They are continuing to re-arrange stuff and the pacing is still relatively fast, but as thought they are slowing down for this arc. And for once the episode was actually...GOOD?

I mean we still had QUALITY animation:

And all the usual problems but narrative-wise this had far better flow than previous 3 episodes. Even the saturated colors were not as jarring due to the darker setting.

Still trying to guess how they will end this adaptation but the rearranging of various things is making it harder. Maybe
Jul 25, 2016 12:13 PM

Sep 2011
Fai said:

Still trying to guess how they will end this adaptation but the rearranging of various things is making it harder. Maybe
What chapter would this be again?
Jul 25, 2016 12:14 PM
Jul 2018
The show is still going at a ridiculously fast pace even if they did slow down and add in some minor scenes this episode like the Lenalee and Allen scene at the very beginning. I'm thorough convinced that they intend to adapt up to at least the end of the seed of destruction arc,hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they went with the intention to catch up to the manga entirely or possibly have an anime original ending/stopping point. I'd say they take 5-6 more episodes max to adapt the current arc with this pacing 3-4 would be VERY VERY rushed even compared to how the show is now but definitely possible.
Pretty good episode though that had a lot more dialogue and exposition then the previous episodes.
Jul 25, 2016 12:15 PM

Nov 2009
Well, I can't say that I'm very fond of Tyki's new voice... maybe I shouldn't've rewatched the old anime before this seasion's start after all. Well, here's hoping that the new voice will grow on me eventually provided there's no major voice-acting mistakes.

I'm satisfied with the Earl's new voice though, seemed very fitting. And Sheril's voice, too, right on the money, to me. Wisely's... well, certainly not bad, but I'm not very impressed so far. Let's wait and see how it goes.

And finally one of the most mysterious moments is animated, with Road shutting up Wisely about how much Tyki looks so amazingly like a certain someone from their shared past. That and the fact that Tyki is apparently the only one among the Noah who's successfully fighting his inner Noah's complete takeover and more or less preserving his human personality totally makes Tyki special.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Jul 25, 2016 12:15 PM
Jul 2016
They left out a very very important scene!!!!!!!! It's the part where When the Earl is talking on the bridge he hears the 14ths voice in his head. He proceeds to freak out. Idk I think that scene was pretty important and they left it out. But none the less I still loved the episode. Sure the animation could use help but.. I still think it's good for what it's worth
Jul 25, 2016 12:22 PM

Jul 2007
Tyrel said:
Fai said:

its perfect end with a perfect tease.
AhenshihaelJul 25, 2016 12:26 PM
Jul 25, 2016 12:23 PM
Jul 2018
Tyrel said:
Fai said:

I think its around chapter 207 isn't it?
Just checked and its toward the end of 208 and now that I think about it I would definitely agree that it is a very likely spot that they will end on considering they add all the other scenes prior to it.
Jul 25, 2016 12:37 PM

Dec 2014
Episode got intense real fast.

Found it weird how immediately after the Noah and Earl's meeting they showed the exorcists fighting in some location. That transition felt off to me.

Yet to catch upto the manga even as anime-only I can feel that the pace is quite fast moving from one event to the other with haste.
Jul 25, 2016 12:39 PM

Apr 2009
This episode was real creepy and dark, that's D. Gray-man i love!!
Jul 25, 2016 12:48 PM

Jan 2012
A lot of re-arranging and as rushed as ever. I'm sad they took out some funny moments from the manga >< I thought it would be slowing down when alma karma's arc started but as of now, it's still pretty bad. Kanda at the Asian office while they are talking about the 2nd and 3rd exorcists appearing in the HQ was a pretty bad transition... Dude was at the HQ and now suddenly he's visiting old man Zhu (or whatever his name was).
Jul 25, 2016 1:37 PM

Nov 2008
Sheryl's voice really gave me the creeps here. He sounds awesome! <3 I'm also satisfied with Tyki's; though I still prefer the original, he still sounds okay. Road sounds a little too cutesy for my liking, but then again, she only had one line? Maybe I'll need to hear more. The Earl...that will take some getting used to. Wisely sounded a little different than I imagined, but he sounds fine?

The transition from the Noah reunion and the exorcists fighting was really jarring. The pace is still really fast; I hope they'll slow down a little now.
Jul 25, 2016 2:22 PM

Aug 2010
DAT LENALEE SHOT THO :L
Road looked so much <3

TYKKI!!!! :D

Can't wait for nxt arc. I'm sure they'll slow down the pace now
Jul 25, 2016 3:35 PM
Mar 2016
Ok so what is this Alma Karma thing anyways?
Jul 25, 2016 3:41 PM

Dec 2009
Rushed pacing is making me sad but its still D.Gray-man. Loving seeing Kanda's arc finally be animated after all these years.
Jul 25, 2016 3:52 PM
Jun 2016
For someone who hasn't been reading the manga, it just doesn't makes any sense. It's like you started watching a movie in the middle of it and you got no one explaining the previous scenes...
Jul 25, 2016 4:03 PM

Mar 2008
teateatea23 said:
For someone who hasn't been reading the manga, it just doesn't makes any sense. It's like you started watching a movie in the middle of it and you got no one explaining the previous scenes...
Have you watched the original D. Gray-man anime? It would make things much easier if you did. I haven't read the manga either, but since I watched the original D. Gray-man anime years ago, I just think there're too much information in one episode and it's a bit rushed, but I have no trouble with the understanding part. Perhaps you can read some wiki pages to get more background information.
Jul 25, 2016 4:05 PM

Feb 2013
The Noah's were too strong for the third exorcists.
Jul 25, 2016 5:04 PM

Jul 2013
I haven't read the manga but even I can tell this episode was a total disaster in the writing and pacing
Jul 25, 2016 5:06 PM

Jan 2008
Was expecting a lot more death this episode.
Jul 25, 2016 5:09 PM

Aug 2013
Earl's new voice is crap, Road's too.
Jul 25, 2016 5:17 PM

Dec 2013
Man, I don't know how to feel about this episode, it was so rushed!! Also, the animation looks too bright and colourful. Missing the old D.Gray-man art a lot...
Beautiful flowers, too, eventually wither and fall. That's the fate of all living beings.

Winning today is not enough to win tomorrow's battles.

Jul 25, 2016 5:56 PM

Sep 2011
Some bad animation at times, but meh, nothing that you can do. Road is still best girl<3. I'm used to the voice actors by now, and it really didn't bother me except for Lenalee the whole time.

All this "rushed" is getting tiring tbh. Though I could see how others feel when I say the same about Rewrite. If people thought this was going to be any different, then think again when it's only 13 episodes long (I still don't think it's rushed or even that much rushed.)

Personally, I can't see how it's rushed when the source material itself was basically the same... Unless you wanna call the source material rushed? The only thing the anime did wrong here was not saying "X Hours later" when it transitioned into the fighting scenes with all the Level 4 Akuma (Unless I missed this, but I don't think I did). Everything was pretty much on pace, minus the rearranging and some comedy left out in scenes. Even by these standards, I can't call this "Rushed." Clearly, you don't know what a Rushed anime is. There's great examples of these in the past 2 years.

nau-y said:
teateatea23 said:
Have you watched the original D. Gray-man anime? It would make things much easier if you did. I haven't read the manga either, but since I watched the original D. Gray-man anime years ago, I just think there're too much information in one episode and it's a bit rushed, but I have no trouble with the understanding part. Perhaps you can read some wiki pages to get more background information.
Apparently he has, and even rates it a 10. It makes complete sense even if you haven't read the manga, so... Idk what he's going on about.

Whoahoho said:

It'll be explained later. But if you want to know...
TyrelJul 25, 2016 6:10 PM
Jul 25, 2016 6:51 PM

Aug 2012
Roooooooooooaaaaaad <3

Tyki's voice is the only one that feels lacking, but I'll get used to it. Sheryl and Earl are spot on, and Wisely and Road are just fine.

The dream sequence was very good, and that Marie foreshadowing. Man, I missed Bak and Fou. The Tyki mystery...such torture.

No anime onlies surprised by Jasdevi?

Tyrel said:
All this "rushed" is getting tiring tbh. Though I could see how others feel when I say the same about Rewrite.
lol exactly, neither are AS bad as people claim, though one is undeniably worse than the other..(tfw two of your favorites get long lost adaptations and bam 13 episodes)
Jul 25, 2016 7:20 PM

Sep 2013
Well, shit is starting to hit the fan with the appearance of all of the Noahs. Really awesome to see Tyki and Road again, I really missed those two and they were my favorite Noahs. The Earl sounds so weird in my opinion, before he sounded both playful and creepy at the same time. This time around, he just sounds flat and nasally. I'm use to everyone's voices already with the exception of Lavi...Jesus Christ that kid sounds so wimpy.

That mind reader Noah seems like a tough opponent, glad I can't remember much on what happens next so my interest is peaked.

They really should up the animation quality on at least the main characters. Allen's nose is really bothering me all season, it's like they can't decide the size of it. The thing that bothers me the most is that characters in the background look like shit. When Road was behind the Earl, she looked like melted Easter Bunny chocolate. Lenalee looked odd when that 3rd Exorcist showed up as well.

Other than that, the opening dream sequence was done very well and Lenalee looked adorable in the first part. Looks like the 14th is taking over Allen a lot faster than I remembered though I'm not too sure.

4/5. Excited to see what comes next with the Noahs and the Third Exorcist Arc.

Jul 25, 2016 7:37 PM

Dec 2013
Lenalee looked pretty damn nice on that bed.

These third guys got destroyed pretty quickly lol
Jul 25, 2016 7:51 PM

Dec 2011
Lol, the third exorcists are plain trash in the might of the Noah.
At least, looks like we are getting Kanda's arc now, and his history with the old guy, Karma and him being a second exorcist.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 25, 2016 8:34 PM

Nov 2009
Fiji said:
Lol, the third exorcists are plain trash in the might of the Noah.
At least, looks like we are getting Kanda's arc now, and his history with the old guy, Karma and him being a second exorcist.

They seem like that. After all they haven't fought with the Noahs yet, clearly. Since they've been working in Central most of the time, and protecting higher-ups or training.

To be honest, there are times when the new VA for the Earl sounds grating. I agree it's...off-putting, but what can we do? The old VA for the Earl is dead T_T His and the old VA for Bookman's deaths are probably one of the reasons new VAs were chosen—that and maturity of the characters (some at least) and/or the need for Allen's chara to have someone who can also pull off the 14th.

Got to get used to it, but it makes me sad. I did love the Earl's old VA's voice. It was very well done, as well as the other cast. But can't dwell on that forever...

As to the pacing, it felt rushed, and I think it's due to the direct transitions as well. Unlike in the manga, there were signs that tell us how much time has passed. But in this one, it just went by without a hint. We can linger on panels of scenes as much as we want. They skipped stuff again, and to manga readers, it is undeniably rushed. They took off comedic parts, but it would have been nice to see those? They show more about characters and relationships after all that has happened after all. But yeah, 13 eps...

Despite the feeling of rushed-ness, I think they did their best in the exposition. It would need a double watch probably though, for some anime-only watchers or those who forgot... (Or probably read the manga from ch 183-186/187 to understand more...) DGM has never been easy and can be confusing when it first starts new arcs, but everything unfolds slowly after the first start. It will all make sense in the end.

If they're going to end it in 5-6 episodes (I hope they won't rush the next ones), then they're definitely aiming for that specific part in the manga where everything changes. In that case, they are adapting 187/188-200+ chapters in the next 9 episodes.
witchhuntressJul 25, 2016 8:41 PM

"Belief is the death of intelligence." ~Robert Anton Wilson~
Jul 25, 2016 9:01 PM

Aug 2014
Finally,we pick up and I was never so happy to see Tyki Mikk and to give that creature a run for its money,I so enjoyed it.I do think that the 14th will be revived to fight the Noah,more likely to murder them again.
Side story:The third project exorcists is a garbage idea...The Noah cut through them like papers...maybe they can fight a Lvl 3 Akuma easy but that is about it.
I am so pumped for the next episode
Jul 25, 2016 9:04 PM

Oct 2011
Omg the Noah clan is here. Alma Karma omg
Jul 25, 2016 10:31 PM

Jun 2009
now the real thing is gonna start i cant wait
Jul 25, 2016 11:54 PM
Nov 2014
Whoahoho said:

Something very painful and Kanda will make u cri :')
Jul 25, 2016 11:58 PM
Nov 2014
I loved this episode. A particular highlight for me was Tyki's struggle with his inner Noah and I hope he plays an important part in the upcoming story, maybe he'll be part of some big plot twist or secret? (Haven't read the latest chapter (223) )
Link's appearances were also fun and Kanda gave off a good broody and mysterious vibe this ep. Someone earlier said that the transition from the Noah clan to the exorcists was abrupt and strange and I totally agree, I was a bit taken aback at that transition.
I also might be beating a dead horse, but I feel like Lenalee is starting to turn into one of those girl main characters that are just there to make the boys blush? I miss old and strong Lenalee who didn't blush easily and didn't take crap from anyone but who knows, I'm probably too picky
Jul 26, 2016 4:18 AM

Apr 2009
Woah boatloads of characters were introduced and one is definitely dead by the end of the episode. >_< Lots of fast-paced action, loved it!
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jul 26, 2016 4:47 AM

Mar 2015
People complaining about the pace, for me it is good, the only problem is they made some scenes and characters (lou fa, cache dop, the broker) cuts. Some VA are not the best too, but for me is ok.

Still good to watch.

9/10
Jul 26, 2016 11:58 AM
Jun 2014
Lyrisia said:
A lot of re-arranging and as rushed as ever. I'm sad they took out some funny moments from the manga >< I thought it would be slowing down when alma karma's arc started but as of now, it's still pretty bad. Kanda at the Asian office while they are talking about the 2nd and 3rd exorcists appearing in the HQ was a pretty bad transition... Dude was at the HQ and now suddenly he's visiting old man Zhu (or whatever his name was).

U forgot they had the Noah Arc to move between branch??
Jul 26, 2016 12:09 PM
Jun 2014
poticardo said:
People complaining about the pace, for me it is good, the only problem is they made some scenes and characters (lou fa, cache dop, the broker) cuts. Some VA are not the best too, but for me is ok.

Still good to watch.

9/10

You're not the only one. I think the pace is decent too and not as bad as people are making it to be. I even reread the manga to judge it. The only thing they left out are some jokes and some cutts(some are necessairy, which I don't understand, but alot of them is understandable, since those are jokes anyways). The re-arranging stuff was decent too IMO and may even be better(depending on the perspective u're looking at). For example, I'm going to use the same example of the user I replied to before this post.

Their conversation about the the third exorcist and their mistakes of the second exorcist, while shifting towards Kanda(who's a second exorcist) meeting with Old Man Zu was a good re-arrangement, instead of just a random image of Kanda(which the manga did). It feels more natural in the anime compared to the manga.
http://h.mfcdn.net/store/manga/28/19-185.0/compressed/f17.jpg
Jul 26, 2016 12:27 PM

Mar 2015
TKMike said:
poticardo said:

Still good to watch.

9/10

You're not the only one. I think the pace is decent too and not as bad as people are making it to be. I even reread the manga to judge it. The only thing they left out are some jokes and some cutts(some are necessairy, which I don't understand, but alot of them is understandable, since those are jokes anyways). The re-arranging stuff was decent too IMO and may even be better(depending on the perspective u're looking at). For example, I'm going to use the same example of the user I replied to before this post.

Their conversation about the the third exorcist and their mistakes of the second exorcist, while shifting towards Kanda(who's a second exorcist) meeting with Old Man Zu was a good re-arrangement, instead of just a random image of Kanda(which the manga did). It feels more natural in the anime compared to the manga.
http://h.mfcdn.net/store/manga/28/19-185.0/compressed/f17.jpg

I think the re-arranging is good too, as they are not changing the history
Jul 26, 2016 1:19 PM

Nov 2012
Aand all the Noahs are back, even more than before. Pacing is a bit too fast, there was almost no transition before we're back to fighting. Anyway, I wonder what this Alma thing is.. seems like it's related to Kanda somehow. I'm interested, always wondered about Kanda's backstory.
Jul 26, 2016 1:36 PM

Jul 2007
TKMike said:
Lyrisia said:

The problem is lack of transitional scenes in between. Its the first and biggest sign of pacing issues.
Jul 26, 2016 2:16 PM
Jun 2014
Fai said:
TKMike said:

The problem is lack of transitional scenes in between. Its the first and biggest sign of pacing issues.

Depends on how u look at it. I don't see people complain when Komui is in his office when the scene shifts over. This is the same. We see Kanda at the Asian Office, yet people are compaining here? I don't see why we would complain about not seeing a scene where Komui gets into his office..... This is the same, but only confusing for the people who doesn't read or watched the first season of D-Gray Man. But that's the reason why this is the second season, instead of a remake..

The only main difference is: One is the same as in the manga(Komui and Bak in the office), while the other doesn't incl. how Kanda got to the Asian Office, unlike the manga, hence it's "different" and gets hate. But in the end, Kanda's scene is no different compared to Komui's scene.

The only thing which applies to ur statement is the scene when the Noah's were all gathered(except Skinn Bolic) and suddenly attacking the exorcists during their mission. The transition on those 2 scenes were off, but the manga didn't do it perfect either. They suddenly did a time-skip too(but unlike the anime, they did it better).

And it would also apply on Kanda visiting the Asian Office IF they didn't had the Noah arc. The timegap between those 2 would be too huge(just like the one with the Noah's gathering and attacking the exorcists). Visiting the Asian Office is no different compared to visiting the Science division or Komui's office in DGM now, hence I don't see any issue.
TKMikeJul 26, 2016 2:28 PM
Jul 26, 2016 3:26 PM

Aug 2014
So they are begin THAT arc now? Pretty hyped, though 9 ep may be slightly overkill, so I guess we'll get some of the skipped stuff later.
Jul 26, 2016 7:19 PM

Mar 2014
Yay! We're getting into the history with Alma! :D And I loved seeing Tyki and Road again.
Jul 26, 2016 7:22 PM

Aug 2014
Oh have I missed Road and Tyki...finally the Noahs have come to play!

Not really feeling the Earl's new voice tbh.

It didn't bother me at first but the dipped in quality was very apparent in this episode.
Jul 26, 2016 9:19 PM

Mar 2008
The issues of quality and pacing just aren't going to go away I guess. Which I'm not shocked about. When they decided to do 1-cour the chance of things getting rushed was a possibility. Not sure how it isn't bothering other people, but different subjective views on what is a good pace.

I just don't think it's enough that the material gets turned into an anime. It has to be done well and I don't think they are getting that.
Jul 27, 2016 1:32 AM

Sep 2011
FlareKnight said:
The issues of quality and pacing just aren't going to go away I guess. Which I'm not shocked about. When they decided to do 1-cour the chance of things getting rushed was a possibility. Not sure how it isn't bothering other people, but different subjective views on what is a good pace.

I just don't think it's enough that the material gets turned into an anime. It has to be done well and I don't think they are getting that.
Because they're basically doing a 1:1 adaptation with the manga? The only difference is that they're rearranging some scenes, and some scenes are new. Some comedy is left out, but that doesn't equal to the amount of pacing you all talk about. I really wanna know how you think it's rushed. It's not rushed. I re-read the manga as I'm watching the anime (I got hard copies of all the volumes), and the pacing as been pretty much the same as it has been in the manga. At this point, you're basically telling them that they should add Anime Original stuff that is not in the manga at all, and considering how this is 13 episodes that won't happen.
Jul 27, 2016 3:31 AM

Jan 2012
Fai said:
TKMike said:

@TKMike; I know that full well. That is not the problem. The woman head came with the 3rd exorcists to the HQ and is explaining their arrival. Kanda was at the scene when those 3rd exorcists came so why would he suddenly be at the Asian branch? Does he have a clone now? It's true that he went to the Asian branch shortly after their arrival but as the anime presented it, it made it look like as if he went to the Asian branch during their arrival. It may seem trivial but to me the story feels too "jumpy" this way. Like Fai said, there is quite a lack of transitional scenes in between.
Jul 27, 2016 4:36 AM
Jun 2014
Lyrisia said:
Fai said:

@TKMike; I know that full well. That is not the problem. The woman head came with the 3rd exorcists to the HQ and is explaining their arrival. Kanda was at the scene when those 3rd exorcists came so why would he suddenly be at the Asian branch? Does he have a clone now? It's true that he went to the Asian branch shortly after their arrival but as the anime presented it, it made it look like as if he went to the Asian branch during their arrival. It may seem trivial but to me the story feels too "jumpy" this way. Like Fai said, there is quite a lack of transitional scenes in between.

Well I've already explained why it isn't true with the "lack of transitional" part and I think I made my point clearly enough. Urs seems to fall at the same category, hence u could read my post when I replied to Fai if u want to know what my opinion is about these "lack of transition" && "pacing is bad". I would suggest agree to disagree if u still disagree with me after reading it.

I won't force my own opinion on someone and I think I explained it enough for people to understand where I'm coming from. Hence it's up to them to decide if they think it makes sense or not.
Jul 27, 2016 7:56 AM
Jun 2016
Anyone saying this is really rushed you need to read the manga. For the manga also had this out of nowhere transition to the fights, and the thirds got introduced and demolished just as quickly. This was probably due to the fact that this is around the time the author's 3-year-hiatus-causing-health-problems started. I thought the pacing was ok.

Road is best girl... Seems like Lenalee is starting to fall :)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2016

131 by iamnameers »»
Dec 22, 2023 2:05 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 12, 2016

64 by iamnameers »»
Dec 22, 2023 1:12 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 29, 2016

82 by iamnameers »»
Dec 22, 2023 12:26 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 22, 2016

71 by iamnameers »»
Dec 22, 2023 12:06 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 4, 2016

359 by iamnameers »»
Dec 21, 2023 10:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.