Forum Settings
Forums

Russia facing a FULL Sports ban from Rio 2016...

New
Jul 18, 2016 12:20 PM

Jun 2008
So, the Olympics are literally days away....and so far, it's been nothing but negative press all around.

Today, in a move that could be very shocking if it becomes reality....(WADA) The World Anti-Doping Agency has recommended to the (IOC) that Russia should get a FULL ban from the 2016 Rio Olympics.

Just to put things into perspective....

Russia won 79 medals in 2012 including 22 Gold.....this was the third best result by all countries that participated in London 2012.

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/wada-recommends-sport-olympic-ban-000000384.html
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jul 18, 2016 12:30 PM

Jan 2013
Given the details behind it, and the source of the information, plus other tell-tell signs, this is overly political in nature. The fact they want to ban even the clean positives, then ramps the pressure when Russia refused to play under a UN flag, shows the true nature of this. Never mind the committee behind this is primarily American and Canadian. Or the small issue it wants Russian banned from all international events.

Murica isn't happy its not getting all the Gold, look towards China being banned next.
Jul 18, 2016 12:38 PM

Aug 2010
Don't really care about this, just looking forward to another fortnight of comfy sports that I haven't cared about for the last 4 years and won't care about for another 4 once it's done.

who /womenscurling/ here
Jul 18, 2016 1:31 PM

Jan 2011
*Checks committee members
Oh look not a single russian :D
Jul 18, 2016 2:00 PM

Mar 2008
They should just ban every country. I wouldn't want to go myself really.

RedArmyShogun said:
tell-tell signs.

I think you mean tale-tell.
Jul 18, 2016 2:09 PM

Mar 2014
I don't see what the problem is

I mean, since when was hosting the OG in a third world country plagued with violence and poverty a good idea?
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jul 18, 2016 2:36 PM
Jul 2018
I mean, Russians may play dirty, but try to not ban all the Russians....
Jul 18, 2016 2:49 PM

Jun 2012
The Olympics in Rio are going to suck anyway.

Having a riot during wouldn't surprise me.
Jul 18, 2016 3:00 PM

Nov 2009
traed said:
RedArmyShogun said:
tell-tell signs.

Pretty sure it is tell-tale or telltale.
Jul 18, 2016 3:02 PM

Mar 2008
Pirating_Ninja said:
traed said:

Pretty sure it is tell-tale or telltale.

Fuck, I mixed up in my half wakeful state.
Jul 18, 2016 5:43 PM
Jul 2018
Based on all the shit that's happening in Brazil at the moment, quite a few people have already withdrawn, right? I wonder at this point if they'll even hold them at all…
Jul 18, 2016 6:36 PM

Jan 2013
traed said:
They should just ban every country. I wouldn't want to go myself really.

RedArmyShogun said:
tell-tell signs.

I don't recall asking you a goddamn thing.

Anyways interesting bits.

Richard McLaren, a Canadian lawyer and the author of the latest WADA report on alleged doping by Russian athletes, told RT that he did not ask the Russian Sports Ministry to provide any opinions about the doping allegations. McLaren also claimed he had enough evidence, but would not make it public.

The World Anti-Doping Agency presented the results of Mclaren’s investigation on Tuesday, alleging that Russian athletes were involved in wide-spread doping schemes that were presumably covered up by the state.

McLaren said that he “did not make contact” with Russian officials. After being asked about whether addressing the Russian side could potentially be important to the inquiry, the lawyer stated that he had “evidence that was quite conclusive about what was going on.”

“So I did not need an explanation from somebody else which would amount to a denial of what was going on,” he continued

“We have all of this evidence locked up. Some of it was provided by way of confidential arrangements. We have not published it but we certainly have it. And we are not going to publish it,”

Honest man there. /sarc.
Jul 18, 2016 7:14 PM

Oct 2014
It's already going to be the worst Olympics of all time. Velodrome is not even finished and tested, a bridge collapsed, people are being mugged on a new bicycle lane they built, the water in the bay is filthy like shit because the money to clean it up went "missing".

Russia ain't missing much if they get banned but then again, this is nothing new. In the Cold War days, communist countries tend to be heavy on steroids and hormonal stuff.
Jul 18, 2016 7:15 PM

Jun 2015
As a russian fellow myself:

i don't care, fuck Rio.

As A volleyball fan myself:

LET THEM PLAY GODDAMN THEY'RE ONE OF THE BEST TEAMS OF THE WORLD WITH BRAZIL DAMN
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Jul 18, 2016 7:54 PM

Aug 2013
Comic_Sans said:
I mean, since when was hosting the OG in a third world country plagued with violence and poverty a good idea?
Better idea than having it in major terrorist target like Western Europe. Especially since a terrorist attack did actually happen during the Olympics hosted by a western European country (Germany) before.
Jul 18, 2016 7:56 PM

Mar 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
Comic_Sans said:
Better idea than having it in major terrorist target like Western Europe. Especially since a terrorist attack did actually happen during the Olympics hosted by a western European country (Germany) before.
I never said they should've decided to host it in Western Europe instead
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jul 19, 2016 12:17 AM
Feb 2014
Can we just go to the 2020 Olympics because I don't want Zika everywhere.
Jul 21, 2016 9:22 AM

Feb 2012
Seems there is a crapton of shady business going on. Qualifiers stealing spots with results made in potato fields, terrorist threats and this Russia scandal. I don't think I've ever seen this little hype for supposedly world's biggest sports event.
Jul 21, 2016 9:41 AM

Jun 2016
Olympics held in Brazil where they can warm up in the finest ghettos before the competitions next day, World Cup held in Quatar during winter, I mean I know holding big sports events in the same old big cities is boring to some but holy shit at least prepare for these changes.Drawing the host country out of a basket like a lottery is anything but responsible.They should ban every country from Rio to prevent the athletes from being mugged on the way to the events.
Jul 21, 2016 9:45 AM

May 2015
Why are they only banning Russia? Everyone does this all the time.
Jul 21, 2016 11:34 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Anyway, they're not missing a lot with the Olympic and Rio looking like shiet and dangerous.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jul 21, 2016 11:40 AM

Aug 2010
Eminem said:

they got caught big time and other nations dislike russia more than usual at the moment.
Jul 21, 2016 11:41 AM

Aug 2010
DatRandomDude said:
Anyway, they're not missing a lot with the Olympic and Rio looking like shiet and dangerous.

>not being excited for false starts caused by gunfire in the crowd
Jul 21, 2016 12:05 PM

Dec 2007
Eminem said:
Russia is the first one to be publicly outed for an actual government program to either dope or cover up doping. Previous efforts to combat doping have always carefully sidestepped this issue by focusing like a laser on individual athletes. But when a key Russian official came out and accused his own government of a program, it had to be acted on. His story was corroborated when the WADA had preserved samples from the relevant games checked, and found evidence of widespread tampering - the kind that doesn't happen without a systemic operation involving the whole lab. At that point, it was merely a question of whether the system described could have defeated existing safeguards. If yes, his story must be deemed credible. And if credible, the methods described cannot be employed without a major program in place.

At this point, technically, what's supposed to happen is all of the medals earned by doping athletes are supposed to be revoked. But because so much evidence was destroyed, they can't even identify which athletes were doping. Thus, the only options are to allow the Russians to get away with cheating (sending the wrong signals to everyone else), revoke all Russian medals from the Sochi Olympics (punishing many athletes who may not have been involved at all), or banning Russia from the next Olympics. The last option is the least bad from certain mindsets, as it sends a clear signal, punishes the country more than the athletes, and the denial of future medals theoretically compensates for the excess ones acquired at Sochi.
Also expect Russia to be consistently snubbed for years to come as a host for international competition.

Russia being Russia, they naturally deny this, and scream conspiracy. But, truth be told, only countries like Russia put people who would act like that in these decision-making bodies. Western nations put people who care far more about the goal of the organization than the foreign policy of their home country. This is part of why Russian officials were not interviewed - they would mostly expect lies and denials even if every allegation is true. And anyone who openly said otherwise would be seeking asylum before they talked (which the WADA itself can't provide). People connected to this have already mysteriously died, and Russia has been known to assassinate people Putin doesn't like, even ones residing in foreign countries. For that reason, they would naturally be extremely interested protecting any corroborating witnesses. To the point of refusing to reveal evidence that may indicate who such witnesses are.
Jul 24, 2016 12:06 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Not completely full it seems

http://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/36878983
Jul 24, 2016 9:03 PM

Aug 2013
Nico- said:
Can we just go to the 2020 Olympics because I don't want Zika everywhere.
Both the World Health Organization and the CDC have said that the spread of Zika during the Olympics is not likely and there is Zika already in America and might be spreading soon.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/11/health/zika-virus-outbreak-united-states.html?_r=0
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/concerns-zika-is-spreading-in-florida-with-second-possible-local-case/
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/22/zika-first-baby-microcephaly-new-york-city
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.