Forum Settings
Forums

Thunderbolt Fantasy, New Anime written by the author who made Fate, Psycho Pass, Puella Magi Madoka Magica

New
Jul 13, 2016 10:30 AM
Jul 2016
After watching the first episode, all I can say is: Mind blowing...

What are your thoughts?

http://www.crunchyroll.com/thunderbolt-fantasy
AnimeBeakJul 13, 2016 1:35 PM
Jul 13, 2016 10:33 AM

Nov 2015
Can't find it anywhere on the DB though.
Link pls?
Jul 13, 2016 11:58 AM

Apr 2015
Huh? What are you talking about? Thunderbolt Fantasy is not a anime, but more of a glove puppetry tv series.

-Mastergold
Jul 13, 2016 12:23 PM

Feb 2013
-Stabbed- said:
Link pls?
http://www.crunchyroll.com/thunderbolt-fantasy :^)
Jul 13, 2016 12:33 PM

Mar 2014
>Gen Urobutcher

No thank you mister
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jul 13, 2016 12:42 PM
Aug 2015
Just when I thought bad CGI will most likely be the downfall of anime, I see this.
Jul 13, 2016 12:50 PM
Aug 2015
kamisama751 said:
Thunderbolt Phantasy is typical chinese history action. There will be tons of plot conviniences, evil for the sake of evil, plot armor and so on. Be prepared 'cause that's what most chinese shows of this genre turnsout to be.

On_the_Lam said:
Just when I thought bad CGI will most likely be the downfall of anime, I see this.

That is puppet play, not CGI.

Yes, which is admittedly worse. The special effects seem decent, but the characters look ridiculous (kind of a racist statement but they all look the fucking same) and they never open their mouths.
Jul 13, 2016 12:51 PM

Mar 2014
The thread is called "Thunderbolt Fantasy, New Anime written by the author who made Fate, Psyco Pass, Puella Magi Madoka Magica"

Urobutcher wrote Fate/Zero, Psycho-Pass and Puta Madoka

In other words, he must be the writer of Thunderbolt Fantasy
Comic_SansJul 13, 2016 12:54 PM
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jul 13, 2016 12:54 PM

Jul 2015
AnimeBeak said:
After watching the first episode, all I can say is: Mind blowing...

What are your thoughts?

I never knew that puppet plays like this existed so I went in to keep an open mind, but this isn't half bad. Looks interesting.
Jul 13, 2016 12:54 PM

Jun 2014
Comic_Sans said:
>Gen Urobutcher

No thank you mister

romagia said:
-Stabbed- said:
Link pls?

>using le green meme arrow and le pointy nose man
>in the current year
plebs desu ne?
But I have to say, anime is saved once again!

Jul 13, 2016 12:56 PM

Mar 2014
Omoshiroineko said:
Comic_Sans said:
>Gen Urobutcher

No thank you mister

romagia said:

>in the current year
plebs desu ne?
>Calls me a pleb for using le green meme arrow
>Uses le green meme arrow himself
Nico- said:
Jul 13, 2016 12:56 PM

Feb 2013
Omoshiroineko said:
Comic_Sans said:
>Gen Urobutcher

No thank you mister

romagia said:

>in the current year
plebs desu ne?
but those meme arrows are not green (^:
Jul 13, 2016 12:58 PM

Dec 2015
-Stabbed- said:

You can't find it because the statement in this thread's title is wrong:

This is not animation, it is a puppet show.

@On_the_Lam Errm, you're expecting a puppet show to feature non-puppet movies possibilities?
Jul 13, 2016 12:58 PM

Jun 2014
Comic_Sans said:
Omoshiroineko said:

>in the current year
plebs desu ne?
>Calls me a pleb for using le green meme arrow

>calls me out on using le green meme arrow myself
>what is sarcasm

romagia said:
but those meme arrows are not green (^:

fugggg sasuga Poliwag ripoff-san

PernodiJul 13, 2016 1:05 PM

Jul 13, 2016 1:13 PM

Jul 2007
Easily one of best shows of the season. The directing, the music, the choreography are mindblowing.

I know Butcher dabbled in wuxia before but it is still surreal seeing him work on this. Still nice to have a good wuxia show again.
Jul 13, 2016 1:30 PM
Jul 2016
-Stabbed- said:
Link pls?

http://www.crunchyroll.com/thunderbolt-fantasy
Jul 13, 2016 2:39 PM

Jan 2014
Ok, so this is some sort of super collaboration between Nitroplus, PILI and some other company. Famous voice actors, famous producers and director, Urobucher as screenwriter and Sawano as series composer. Looks good, looks good...

And so far, after watching first episode, I can tell it's really good. The style looks very... interesting, yet beautiful. It seems it probably took some effort to make those blood-boiling action sequences. Amazing soundtrack makes it even better.
Jul 13, 2016 2:41 PM
Aug 2015
Rei366 said:
@On_the_Lam Errm, you're expecting a puppet show to feature non-puppet movies possibilities?

I'm expecting it to use an appealing art form.
Jul 13, 2016 2:43 PM

Jan 2014
On_the_Lam said:
Rei366 said:

if it doesn't appeal to you, gtfo. Show some respect for those who make it or at least doing something to bring something new, you brat.
TapuTapuuJul 13, 2016 2:50 PM
Jul 13, 2016 2:43 PM

May 2010
Comic_Sans said:
>Gen Urobutcher

No thank you mister

lol you enjoy being a troll, dont you
Jul 13, 2016 2:45 PM

Mar 2015
d
On_the_Lam said:
Rei366 said:

Define appealing please. I think it looks nice.
Jul 13, 2016 3:01 PM

Mar 2014
Omoshiroineko said:
>what is sarcasm
>Ignores the fact that I never said it was wrong to use le green meme arrow to begin with and that I only called him out for his own hypocrisy
Benevolance said:
Comic_Sans said:
>Gen Urobutcher

No thank you mister

lol you enjoy being a troll, dont you
I fail to see how disliking Urobutcher makes me a troll
Nico- said:
Jul 13, 2016 3:02 PM

Dec 2015
@On_the_Lam I think I understand. It means that puppetry isn't appealing to you as an art? Nothing against it but doesn't it make you supposed to not watch this form of art right from the beginning ?

It's like a person who would say about a novel "shouldn't this story use an appealing form of art?" because he finds writtens repulsive. (I am not saying you dislik reading, it is an example)
Jul 13, 2016 3:03 PM

Jun 2014
Comic_Sans said:
Omoshiroineko said:
>what is sarcasm
>Ignores the fact that I never said it was wrong to use le green meme arrow to begin with and that I only called him out for his own hypocrisy

>implying anyone can think of striking up a non-banter conversation with that asthma-inducing avatar

Jul 13, 2016 3:09 PM

Mar 2014
Omoshiroineko said:
Comic_Sans said:

>implying anyone can think of striking up a non-banter conversation with that asthma-inducing avatar
>Implying there is something wrong with my Knugen avatar
Nico- said:
Jul 13, 2016 3:14 PM

Oct 2014
-Stabbed- said:
Link pls?
MAL has already denied it a few times for being a puppet show rather than stop motion, 3DCGI, or traditional anime. It isn't animated so it's not allowed on the database.
Jul 13, 2016 3:17 PM
Aug 2015
Yohimo_asakura said:
On_the_Lam said:

if it doesn't appeal to you, gtfo. Show some respect for those who make it or at least doing something to bring something new, you brat.

Oh, just the answer I'd expect from an SAO fan. Beautiful.
Jul 13, 2016 3:24 PM
Aug 2015
MechaGuy said:
d
On_the_Lam said:

Define appealing please. I think it looks nice.

The main reason I personally prefer animation to live-action is its ability to convey emotion better. This is difficult to achieve when your characters have the same fucking expression every time they're on-screen.

Rei366 said:
@On_the_Lam I think I understand. It means that puppetry isn't appealing to you as an art? Nothing against it but doesn't it make you supposed to not watch this form of art right from the beginning ?

It's like a person who would say about a novel "shouldn't this story use an appealing form of art?" because he finds writtens repulsive. (I am not saying you dislik reading, it is an example)

Just as there are different writing styles, there are lots of animation styles. One style may be appealing to the majority, the other not so much. Compare, say, Twilight to a decent book.
Jul 13, 2016 3:26 PM

Jan 2014
On_the_Lam said:
Yohimo_asakura said:

Huh, That's a low blow, boy, that's so low... You should be ashamed of yourself.
TapuTapuuJul 13, 2016 3:31 PM
Jul 13, 2016 3:42 PM
Aug 2015
Yohimo_asakura said:
On_the_Lam said:

Huh, That's a low blow, boy, that's so low... You should be ashamed of yourself.

Really? If I should be ashamed, then what should someone, who tells a person to "gtfo" for merely having a different opinion than himself and calls said person a brat for the same reason, be? Proud?

I usually expect more maturity from an adult...
Jul 13, 2016 3:43 PM

Nov 2015
zombie_pegasus said:
-Stabbed- said:
Link pls?
MAL has already denied it a few times for being a puppet show rather than stop motion, 3DCGI, or traditional anime. It isn't animated so it's not allowed on the database.

Well that's a total bust isn't it?
Too bad. It had a really cool name..
Jul 13, 2016 4:13 PM

Jan 2014
On_the_Lam said:
Yohimo_asakura said:

Really? If I should be ashamed, then what should someone, who tells a person to "gtfo" for merely having a different opinion than himself and calls said person a brat for the same reason, be? Proud?

>I'm expecting it to use an appealing art form.
Hehe xd
This is so mature, boy, it makes my jaw drop.

That's not about just having a different opinion. Honestly speaking, I don't give a shit what is your opinion about this particular series, but what you are saying here is completely retarded, because not only you fail to grasp that there are no unappealing art forms in general, but you are also showing absolutely zero respect for those hard-working people who are trying to bring something new into this world.

That was a bait shit-post, which only purpose is to troll bait and annoy people. And for such posters I have no respect, because they simply don't deserve it.
That's why I told you are a brat and to gtfo. You better think next time before posting troll bait shit-posts, so you won't need to question. Because in the end, this is what makes these forums trashcan

And then you throw me that response, like a rat. That's just low. I could bet, if we went into the field, you would be the first to backstab.
TapuTapuuJul 13, 2016 4:36 PM
Jul 14, 2016 1:02 AM
Aug 2015
Yohimo_asakura said:
On_the_Lam said:

>I'm expecting it to use an appealing art form.
Hehe xd
This is so mature, boy, it makes my jaw drop.

That's not about just having a different opinion. Honestly speaking, I don't give a shit what is your opinion about this particular series, but what you are saying here is completely retarded, because not only you fail to grasp that there are no unappealing art forms in general, but you are also showing absolutely zero respect for those hard-working people who are trying to bring something new into this world.

That was a bait shit-post, which only purpose is to troll bait and annoy people. And for such posters I have no respect, because they simply don't deserve it.
That's why I told you are a brat and to gtfo. You better think next time before posting troll bait shit-posts, so you won't need to question. Because in the end, this is what makes these forums trashcan

And then you throw me that response, like a rat. That's just low. I could bet, if we went into the field, you would be the first to backstab.

The hypocrisy is real... I won't even bother arguing with someone who appears to be this dense.

Edit: Let's list a few things you didn't appreciate and that you should have shown more respect for:

Redline - BULLSHIT. And I dont like the art

It took about 7 years to create this film and you call it bullshit? Tsk tsk. Respect, sir. I'll quote a very wise 12-year-old-acting pseudo-adult, who has taught me to appreciate every attempt at bringing original art styles and forms, even if they're utter shit and unappealing for the eyes:

"Show some respect for those who make it or at least doing something to bring something new, you brat."

Fate/Zero - In 13 eps nothing happens, literally

Are you sure about that? Because they did put much effort into creating those 13 episodes you don't seem to appreciate.

Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi - So is that Ghibli? not for me...

Well, you can just gtfo if it's not for you, then. This film is a masterpiece for many and you're ruining their view of the film... Not. Because your opinion is shit and nobody would take your seriously.

Tokyo Ghoul - Only scenes worth watching are first and last episodes. Everything else is pure BS

Too bad you can't appreciate the 11 episodes the creators spent working hard on. gtfo.

Yohimo_asakura said:

Hands down biggest hypocrite I've had the chance to share opinions with on this site.
archaaiJul 14, 2016 11:50 AM
Jul 14, 2016 1:40 AM

Sep 2013
-Stabbed- said:
zombie_pegasus said:

Well that's a total bust isn't it?
Too bad. It had a really cool name..

What a bullshit reason not to add lmao.
Jul 14, 2016 10:53 AM

Dec 2015
@On_the_Lam I understand but it is strange to talk about animation style for something who isn't an animation video. That's what I was trying to show with my comparison. It's not about comparing two elements of the same art form (that's obviously reasonable legitimate and your example illustrates it fine) but two of different forms.
Jul 14, 2016 11:18 AM

Oct 2014
I hope the action is good. Gen urobutchi has never written something that has left me thinking he only has good ideas sometimes, so I doubt I'll be amazed on that front.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; What is essential is invisible to the eye.

But does the heart have the right perspective?
Jul 14, 2016 11:30 AM
Aug 2015
Rei366 said:
@On_the_Lam I understand but it is strange to talk about animation style for something who isn't an animation video. That's what I was trying to show with my comparison. It's not about comparing two elements of the same art form (that's obviously reasonable legitimate and your example illustrates it fine) but two of different forms.

This might sound superficial, but the art - the way the characters feel and move, is mostly the selling point for a series and a film. Looking interesting and looking appealing at the same time is something difficult to achieve, and from the two or so minute sequence I watched, I can certainly say that Thunderbolt Fantasy definitely looks interesting, but not enough to watch more than that. To each his own.
Jul 14, 2016 11:43 AM

Feb 2010
Oh so he's doing a live action show this time?

Whatever.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 14, 2016 11:57 AM

Sep 2013
Pullman said:

Whatever.

Your avatar picture makes me extremely uncomfortable.
Jul 14, 2016 11:59 AM

Feb 2010
Wintovisky said:
Pullman said:

Whatever.

That's what the sexiest man alive does to you. Abandon your ego and accept Kubota as your savior. It's the only way to salvation.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 14, 2016 12:00 PM

Dec 2015
I'm just gonna sit back and eat some popcorn with this show because I just can't take it seriously, no matter how many times I try lol

Furthermore, it's pretty fucking entertaining! Betting that this is going to be the fun of the season, probably more fun than Mob psycho 100
Why yu gettin' cheeky? (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 14, 2016 12:03 PM

Sep 2013
Pullman said:
Wintovisky said:

That's what the sexiest man alive does to you. Abandon your ego and accept Kubota as your savior. It's the only way to salvation.

No thanks, I'm gonna stick with my waifus Holo and Tohsaka Rin <3
Jul 14, 2016 12:16 PM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
I watched the first episode which I felt didn't really tread any new ground story wise. It very much felt like a flashy Saturday morning carton to me (especially at the end with the bad guy in his evil cave with menacing looking birds flying around). But it was a lot of fun and it is a type of story I like, and I generally like Gen Urobuchi's works. Mostly, I sat watching being amazed by the detail on the puppets. I'll keep watching it, even if it is just to look at really pretty puppets (because hot damn).
Jul 15, 2016 12:35 PM
Jul 2016
MonsterKiller said:
Are you serious? Cause I can't find it.

Sorry forgot to answer your question lol.

Here's the link: http://www.crunchyroll.com/thunderbolt-fantasy
Jul 15, 2016 10:43 PM

Jun 2013
I like the show so far, the puppets are very pretty, the action is nice, the characters are likable, there are touches of fantasy and magic. I've seen two episodes.

Also, if my memory serves me right, Nightmare Before Christmas was also a movie using puppets.
Jul 16, 2016 8:04 AM

Jun 2013
AnimeBeak said:
MonsterKiller said:
Are you serious? Cause I can't find it.

Sorry forgot to answer your question lol.

Here's the link: http://www.crunchyroll.com/thunderbolt-fantasy

It's okay. Thank you for sharing the link tho.
Jul 17, 2016 9:02 AM

Sep 2011
Thread Moved

MAL does not consider this an Anime thus I am forced to move it off the Anime Discussion board
Jul 20, 2016 2:58 PM
Jul 2016
Tyrel said:
Thread Moved

MAL does not consider this an Anime thus I am forced to move it off the Anime Discussion board

Why you do this to us?
Jul 20, 2016 3:01 PM

Sep 2011
AnimeBeak said:
Tyrel said:
Thread Moved

Why you do this to us?
No point asking me this. I didn't make the rules~

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kendrick Lamar vs Drake... who's winning?

GoatPieceLuffy - May 5

11 by Sad »»
7 minutes ago

» Non anime Japanese Movies recommendations

Akuho993 - Today

7 by BitChilly »»
1 hour ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7647 by sund0wner »»
Today, 12:03 AM

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3415 by Ricchan__ »»
Yesterday, 11:14 PM

» Discuss the last movie you watched ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GloriousHawk - Dec 29, 2012

4829 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
Yesterday, 4:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.