Forum Settings
Forums

The "You can Never go wrong with Retro" crowd

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jun 26, 2016 8:39 PM

May 2016
jaesuk97 said:
Ask 90's fans what they think of Gundam X. They will tell you it's shit.

WHAT

WASTE THE MOTHERFUCKERS

BURN THEIR HOUSES DOWN AND EAT THEIR POP-TARTS

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jun 26, 2016 8:51 PM

Feb 2016
it's not about close minded. it's about personal tastes

some people (me for example) watching anime for artstyle. yeah, i admit that most of old anime has a well written story. but i cant stand for the artstyle

it same as people out there who never watch yaoi stuff because they're not get appeal for it. dont you think they're also close minded based on your analogy?
Jun 27, 2016 2:25 AM

Dec 2015
Hellspawn28 said:
razortongue said:
Generally speaking I do tend to favour older anime but yeah I do agree with you. There was shit coming out then and there is shit coming out now. Just check out the schlocky OVAs that were coming out in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

[...]
I personally wish someone would make a modern day anime or manga in a similar tone of sholocky OVA's from the 80's and 90's.

Those 80s-90s OAV didn't simply die, they migrated to late-night TV cases thanks to Evangelion in the late 90s and early 2000s (sadly, this trend lost its breath). That's why "modern" OAVs are something entirely different.
Jun 27, 2016 3:33 AM

Apr 2015
You can neve go wrong with retro? really? MD Geist sucks ass brah
Jun 27, 2016 4:25 AM

Nov 2013
Aren't old and new the same though? The real difference is only animation/artstyle.

Both old and new era have battle shonen (dragon ball, yu yu hakusho vs fairy tail, hunter x hunter 2011)

Both era has kids shows (Perman, hattori vs Yokai watch)

I dont know but some people mention that there are a few gore long time ago. Well there are new gore anime too

Pretty cure franchise is still alive

There are gundam series here and there

Psychological can still be found nowadays

Cyber punk (GITS vs Psycho pass)

Fanservice exist a long time ago maybe (see Eva, the cliche boy see the girl in her room can also be found)

Maybe u can still fill a lot of similarities, but I guess it proves enough.
Jun 27, 2016 6:59 AM

Apr 2016
Let people have their preferences and enjoy what they want to. They can only watch older anime or only watch newer anime; nobody should really care what others watch.

I do have an issue if people say that older anime as a collective is superior than modern anime or modern anime as a collective is superior than older anime, and act as if it's the objective truth. Nobody can prove either.
Something witty that makes you think I'm funny

Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier
Jun 27, 2016 10:29 AM

May 2015
Zelkiiro said:
The benefit of hunting for shows of the past is that they're, well, past. You don't need to sit through the harem garbage anymore--you can just dive straight into the good stuff.
thats true; it's mighty easier to watch something thats already aired and gone than to watch something that hasnt even ended
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Jun 27, 2016 10:45 AM

Jun 2015
Anybody who says that the 90's or 80's are the best years of anime is acceptable as an opinion.

But if they say that there's no bad stuff from those years is completely bollocks.
Jun 27, 2016 10:49 AM

May 2016
You said:

If I had to choose between sitting through MD Geist or Sword Art Online ever again, I'd watch MD Geist on repeat all day long if it meant never having to see Kirito's stupid bland A-1 Pictures face ever again.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jun 27, 2016 10:53 AM

Apr 2015
Zelkiiro said:
You said:

If I had to choose between sitting through MD Geist or Sword Art Online ever again, I'd watch MD Geist on repeat all day long if it meant never having to see Kirito's stupid bland A-1 Pictures face ever again.

I'd still prefer SAO. At least SAO has Music and scenery. MD Geist has none.
Jun 27, 2016 11:17 AM

Apr 2015
kamisama751 said:

What has MD Geist done wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu1PBP4DCKs&t=40m08s Don't you notice that dead body animation? it's just wtf. and the 2nd season OST almost destroy my ear.
Jun 27, 2016 12:27 PM

Jun 2009
Zelkiiro said:
You said:

Not to mention MD Geist has very cheesy dub and has a kick ass theme song (Violence of Flame).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxHgVBpKNEo

I never seen Sword Art Online and have no plans on too.
Jun 27, 2016 12:30 PM

Oct 2013
Even tho most of my favs are contemporary retro anime is pretty cool
Jun 27, 2016 12:58 PM

Mar 2012
Kagami said:
truisms said:
it was implied by my line of reasoning which is that being open towards both old and new shows is admirable BUT that your specific example wasn't representative of any sort of unbiased show watching

I don't think you understood my post. Either that or you're confusing yourself. Are you trying to say that at my Yuru Yuri example? If so, how would a person who hates that psuedo-genre while giving the type of show a fair chance by excluding their bias towards moe and cute not be considered going into a show without prior bias reasons? That would certainly be considered being neutral and unbiased show watching... Not sure what you're even going on about anymore.

If you're biased towards a genre or anything, but decide to enter the show with a clear head to see if it executes well when looked at its genre, that's being unbiased. That's judging it without being bias.
because the idea that looking at a show according to whether or not it 'executes' well according to its genre is unbiased is ideology
Mayuka said:

did you call

holier than thou bitch right here

last.fm

Jun 27, 2016 1:23 PM

Apr 2015
kamisama751 said:
You said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu1PBP4DCKs&t=40m08s Don't you notice that dead body animation? it's just wtf. and the 2nd season OST almost destroy my ear.

So the animation of that one special scene with a span of ~10 seconds ruined the whole show? Are you serious?
By the way, I can't find anythin appalling there besides the dub 'cause f*ck dub.

Well for me they duel and fights for no reason.
Jun 27, 2016 1:36 PM

Dec 2015
@kamisama751 The spirit and intents. What you could see as OAVs back then, you won't find it in nowadays OAVs. Because after Evangelion pushed the boundaries on TV and started its phenomena, its "heirs" followed on TV too. OAVs were not necessary anymore to treat more "mature" content or heavy themes.
Sorry if it is poorly explained, I'm not good with foreign languages nor with clear explanations in my own language. ^^"
Jun 27, 2016 2:14 PM

Oct 2010
Here I was thinking my new sig was maybe a little unfair... nah.

Several people have mentioned that most bad old anime is forgotten. The term for this is survivorship bias:

While difficult to quantify objectively, a common opinion is that music was better in the past. However, while listeners are exposed to a much greater quantity (and thus, presumably, subjective quality) of contemporary music, only the "best" music from one generation survives to be frequently replayed for the next generation, and this process becomes more selective with each generation. While quality of media is a subjective measure from person to person, popularity results from a population's average evaluation of the merits of the media. The more time that a particular piece of art or literature survives as relevant and popular in the general population, the more reliable the measure of quality becomes, because it must pass evaluations by changing and differing generations. All of the art or literature from the past that was not of sufficient quality is "lost" to time, and becomes hidden or invisible to the contemporary listener, reader, or viewer. The net effect is that, in general, a contemporary listener, reader, or viewer is only exposed to those works of past art that have met the highest standards of several preceding generations, while contemporary works or arts have not yet been similarly vetted and the listener, reader, or viewer will thus be exposed to a much higher percentage of poor or mediocre quality works.

There is also a lot more anime coming out every year now than there was 30 years ago. I wouldn't argue against the claim that it averaged out better back then.

I haven't watched enough myself to be able to judge new shows as they compare to their predecessors, but - working under the assumption that objective quality does in fact exist - I think the statement that "every 2010's anime show is too safe, formulaic, and derivative to be as praiseworthy as the best of previous years" is almost certainly wrong. None of those traits make media bad, nor does being the first to do something necessarily make a show better. Being risky and weird doesn't inherently make a show better either - it just makes it refreshing when you've seen too much anime.

With an idea that normally works best the first time you see it (let's say in Show Red), it's impossible to be unbiased when you see it again in Show Blue (which may be newer or older). If you then think it works better in Show Blue than in Show Red, that's a strong credit to Show Blue.

As for the bias subconversation... I have no interest in trying to be unbiased toward anything, even if I thought that were possible. Everyone should be unashamedly biased toward shows containing elements they like.

If the elements you like fall outside the bounds of what's profitable in today's market, then you're SOL. General standards like "good" and "bad" do not apply in that case.
nDroaeJun 27, 2016 2:41 PM
Jun 27, 2016 4:12 PM
Mar 2016
CapitalistGod said:
(and those who avoid old anime like the plague)

Don't you think they're just full of confirmation biases and are just closed minded as hell?

Well, one thing that I have noticed when watching some anime (Trigun and Gunsmith Cats, specifically) is that the older and less advanced animation style and design, is quite impressive to marvel and appreciate.

Now, I'm not a hipster, I would say that other shows such as Angel Beats and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya look much better and are smoother in comparison, but there is definitely a vintage and refined feel to some older anime in their art design because I believe that certain styles and methods just hadn't been invented yet, meaning that much more effort had to go into making older shows.
I am new to the anime community, please feel free to suggest any anime for me to watch and review. List is currently in my Bio.

Currently watching: Ghost in the Shell; Stand Alone Complex

"Some people get kicks, stomping on a dream. But I don't let it, let it get me down, 'cause this fine o'l world keeps spinning around." -That's Life, Frank Sinatra
Jun 27, 2016 8:45 PM

Nov 2011
Nobody ever said there wasn't any bad older anime. We all know about those infamous OVA's like M.D. Geist and Cipher. Some of us just prefer the style of anime from back in the day or quite simply we go by the fact that most of our favorite anime are old.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 33 minutes ago

4 by Otakupervert890 »»
52 seconds ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

37 by vampirismsxc »»
4 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

114 by vampirismsxc »»
6 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

86 by vampirismsxc »»
9 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - 24 minutes ago

2 by deg »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.