Forum Settings
Forums
The Case Study of Vanitas
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 22, 2016 7:48 AM
Jul 2015
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
ITS HERE!! :D

^ that panel had me expecting an epic fight scene but...

Vanitas knows how to defeat a girl, no matter if its a former mass murderer.
Luca playing the overprotective little brother role was cute lol

Btw seems like Vanitas got some ugly scars in his arm.... i can smell the tragic backstory

churronekoMar 22, 2016 6:12 PM
Mar 22, 2016 11:17 AM
Oct 2013
The kiss scene is hot and sweet! Love it!
Mar 22, 2016 1:13 PM

Jul 2014
Oml thanks so much for the link! They stopped selling the series on Australian iBooks so you really saved me.

Anyway...
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST VANITAS
I didn't expect that at all, but,,,, I ship.
Jeanne and Luca's reaction was adorable. I love Vanitas even more after this chapter.
Cant wait for the next chapter!!

Oh and on an unrelated note, Vanitas and Noe really remind me of Oikawa and Iwa-chan from Haikyuu.
Mar 22, 2016 1:53 PM
Mar 2015
This chapter surprised me so much. I don't want to wait another month..😢😢😢
Mar 22, 2016 6:14 PM
Jul 2015
removed the link of the chapter because a douche said i shouldn't do that
Mar 23, 2016 2:48 AM
Apr 2015
I actually did not notice the scars until you mentioned it o.o

Srsly, I grow more and more fascinated to Vanitas' character and it was real fun seeing Lucas throwing a fit and even saying that he will kill him xD

It's interesting to note how Jeanne suddenly lost her strength after Vanitas touched her. And we came to find out that the original blue moon vampire bit Vanitas... and he told him about the hellfire witch - which also gives a little insight in what way those two Vanitas stand to each other.

Not to forget that ending...

All in all, it was a fantastic chapter and in particulary Vanitas was just plain awesome!
MadCupcakeMar 23, 2016 2:54 AM
Mar 23, 2016 4:37 PM

Aug 2014
Damn Vanitas just gets more and more interesting, I wonder what his true power is like.
Mar 23, 2016 7:23 PM

Jan 2014
I’m not sure how I feel right now. And yes, it’s about that kiss.

The fact that it happened itself doesn’t bother me. It’s the aftermath that is getting under my skin. It looks like the story might have just turned Jeanne’s feelings of personal violation into permanent borderline tsundere-ish comic relief. And that’s extremely concerning, because it would mean the story would be treating what Vanitas did like it wasn’t a really shitty thing to do.

I mean, if it just was a tactical move on his part to get them out of the situation and unnerve Jeanne, fine. Hell, if it was even just Vanitas being a self-entitled shitbag, then that’d be fine too, as long as he isn’t blatantly rewarded for it.

But if the story rewards him for forcibly shoving his tongue down Jeanne’s throat, just because he got turned on, by turning Jeanne into his comic relief love-interest who “knows she liked it”…then I’m going to have some major problems, and the story might lose me for good.

Good chapter otherwise, but damnit. The aftermath of that kiss really soured the experience.
Mar 23, 2016 9:01 PM
Jul 2015
zacrathedemon5 said:

The fact that it happened itself doesn’t bother me. It’s the aftermath that is getting under my skin. It looks like the story might have just turned Jeanne’s feelings of personal violation into permanent borderline tsundere-ish comic relief. And that’s extremely concerning, because it would mean the story would be treating what Vanitas did like it wasn’t a really shitty thing to do.

I mean, if it just was a tactical move on his part to get them out of the situation and unnerve Jeanne, fine. Hell, if it was even just Vanitas being a self-entitled shitbag, then that’d be fine too, as long as he isn’t blatantly rewarded for it.

But if the story rewards him for forcibly shoving his tongue down Jeanne’s throat, just because he got turned on, by turning Jeanne into his comic relief love-interest who “knows she liked it”…then I’m going to have some major problems, and the story might lose me for good.

Good chapter otherwise, but damnit. The aftermath of that kiss really soured the experience.

i totally agree with you.

i know its been just 4 chapters but her reaction felt really out of character to me somehow. I mean she was a cold blooded mass murderer, the least she could do was punch him in the gut and pretend it didnt happen if not kill him right away.
Since Vanitas is kind of a jerk, and i think he did for distraction and just for the sake of having fun and tease her. I wouldnt be surprised if he does something like that again if they have another encounter with Jeanne.
Pandora Hearts never focused on romance, so i doubt this scene would have a strong influence to the plot. Or at least thats what i hope...
Mar 25, 2016 2:00 AM
Jul 2013
zacrathedemon5 said:

Where am I going with this? One of Mochizuki's greatest talents is writing a morally questionable narrative (along with twisted relationships) and that currently describes Vanitas to a T. His reprehensible actions present no issue to me as at this point, his defining monologue in the first chapter indicated that even if a vampire were to refuse having their malnomen treated, Vanitas would violate them by forcibly administering the fix anyway; that scene told me everything I needed to about this guy, at least on the surface. I wouldn't bat an eye if he's inevitably revealed as the story's antagonist. As for Jeanne's reactions, that depends entirely on her background so I can't say much for that.
GilgameshMar 25, 2016 8:55 AM
Mar 25, 2016 4:29 AM

Jul 2014
Gilgamesh said:
zacrathedemon5 said:

Where am I going with this? One of Mochizuki's greatest talents is writing a morally questionable narrative (along with twisted relationships) and that currently describes Vanitas to a T. His reprehensible actions present no issue to me as at this point, his defining monologue in the first chapter indicated that even if a vampire were to refuse having their malnomen treated, Vanitas would violate them by forcibly administering the fix anyway; that scene told me everything I needed to about this guy, at least on the surface. I wouldn't bat an eye if he's inevitably revealed as the story's antagonist. As for Jeanne's reactions, that depends entirely on her background so I can't say much for that.

That's great and all but please put your Pandora Hearts spoilers in a spoiler tag... atm I doubt there's anyone reading VnC who isn't a PH fan but there might be one and there definitely will be some later on, so yeah spoiler tags please.

(I know you weren't replying to me but still.)
Mar 25, 2016 10:42 AM

Jan 2014
Gilgamesh said:
zacrathedemon5 said:

Here's the key: execution is everything.

This scene with Vanitas and Jeanne is different. It's trying to be funny about what he did, and thereby shrug off the fact that there's anything wrong about it at all. That's why it sickens me. By being so lighthearted and comical in execution, the story comes off like it doesn't even genuinely feel what Vanitas did is wrong in the first place.
zacrathedemon5Mar 25, 2016 10:47 AM
Mar 26, 2016 9:53 AM

Jul 2014
I love how Mochizuki-sensei can come up with such big variety of completely mad characters and the're like about 95% of all, the more nuts the are, the moore tragic background they have. Vanitas is no exeption. With every chapter we get new side of his madness. And seing those scars on his hands, something in the past f*cked him up hard and don't forget that this book may be f*cking him up even more
I'm sure some of the things Vanitas said are true and that "Clan of the blue moon" might be real. If the're real then why is he alone? Did they abondon him, did they died, did Vanitas run from them with the book or does this book eventually make its owners go completely mad? What if they turn into those monsters too, because of the plessure!
Also, that "Charlatan" looks interesting. Let's see what's the deal with him in the next chapter
BTW THAT WAS ONE INTENCE KISS

Mar 26, 2016 2:37 PM

Aug 2013
Jeanne might be a mass-murderer, but she looks pretty weak emotionally speaking, so I'm not surprised she reacted the way she did—in other words, she is a child when it comes to emotions.

As for Vanitas, he generally acts like a buffoon, but deep down seems to have a very sadistic and dark side; but more than that, while he speaks of love, I believe he is more honest when he talks of entertainment (he found a new "toy").

I tend to think the scene was treated in a comical way because it is the image that Vanitas gives off: they perceive him as someone unpleasant but harmless, which he is not.
"Even now, I travel on my journey,
Believing in the world,
Aiming for something far away – an endless journey.
Having a dream like someone else’s,
Or being in someone else’s dream –
Which would you prefer?"
Mar 27, 2016 6:53 AM

Jun 2015
Luca's reaction is precious, definitely a win for me on this chapter, tying with the 3 spectators' "What a Jerk" comments ww

And Noe, oh Noe.... boy why are you so gullible----- QwQ
Echo Protection Squad | Bamco pls give Kresnik Bros happiness

Despair cause: dying children everywhere | ShinAya is important
―living a maso shipper life since 89.57% of her OTPs are Doomed by Canon―
Mar 30, 2016 12:05 PM

Oct 2009
Some crazy and funny stuff in this chapter. Loved it! =D
Apr 3, 2016 9:31 PM

Sep 2014
zacrathedemon5 said:

You nailed how I felt about this chapter. I don't mind characters using sexuality to win a fight, but I wasn't thrilled with how the story handled the particular tactic….
Apr 15, 2016 6:01 AM

Jul 2013
313_Archer said:
zacrathedemon5 said:

You nailed how I felt about this chapter. I don't mind characters using sexuality to win a fight, but I wasn't thrilled with how the story handled the particular tactic….

I thought that the function of the kiss was to provoke Luca in some way since he said that Luca must see the negotiations till the end (and we already witnessed that he is kind of manipulative), so that perhaps it's vital for their future plans but...I'm not so sure anymore. In any case, we will find out in the following chapters.
Noir… It is the name of an ancient fate. Two sisters who watch anime. The peace of the newly born, their black hands protect.
Apr 24, 2016 7:37 AM

Jan 2015
Hahaha Jeanne x Vanitas !!! Hahahha
Dec 28, 2016 11:07 PM

Jan 2016
lmao Vanitas is a beast
Jul 10, 2021 6:43 AM

Oct 2016
Here I am just casually reading ahead after being hooked by the anime, did not expect this. Vanitas is absolutely based, Jeanne is fucking adorable.
Jul 13, 2021 1:12 AM

Jun 2009
Just got done with this chapter. (Late in reading the manga I know, it's been on my to read list for a while and now with the anime out I finally decided to read the manga....)

Well....... that was unexpected. But hilarious. Can't wait to see where this goes.

Vanitas x Noe vs Vanitas x Jeanne........... though I shipped Vanitas x Noe before seeing this but idk now. Perhaps I'll just keep reading to see what happens. XD

You have been blessed by sparkly bishie Cherry Blossom <3 You're welcome ^^

Mar 18, 2022 5:46 PM

Apr 2020
Yo Vanitas, I love him! Lol
“You flounder through life, struggling desperately so you won't drown, even though you would float if you'd just relax.”
Jan 5, 2023 11:58 AM

May 2021
Vanitas used KISS.

It was super effective.

Jeanne became a tsundere.

Jun 2, 2023 5:01 AM

Sep 2020
lol that kiss is such a classic scene. I watched the anime first so I was eagerly awaiting this moment. Time to read the other 7 volumes!

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Chapter 63 Discussion

DarkHumor04 - Apr 24

0 by DarkHumor04 »»
Apr 24, 11:33 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Chapter 62 Discussion

DarkHumor04 - Jan 22

5 by CQLLIST »»
Mar 10, 9:33 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Chapter 60 Discussion

Dorayakisama - Jul 22, 2023

10 by Maffy »»
Jan 13, 7:00 AM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Chapter 61 Discussion

Dorayakisama - Oct 19, 2023

5 by RioFS »»
Nov 15, 2023 12:52 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Carte Chapter 42 Discussion

Felix-san - Feb 27, 2020

5 by RioFS »»
Nov 14, 2023 12:58 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.