Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 14, 2016 5:46 AM

Oct 2015
It's not manga, its a korean comic. The style of drawing and writing can be very different.
Essentially manhwa is to manga as cartoon is to anime.
Yet they are listed together on MAL.
Would you dismiss a *good* story because it is manhwa and not manga?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 14, 2016 5:52 AM
Jan 2013
I gave The Breaker a 5 cause it's manwha *Not actual reason I gave it a 5*

Basically the answer is no... No I wouldn't
gone bai bai
Feb 14, 2016 5:53 AM

Jul 2012
No, I read them anyway. Although, I don't read that many because I hate the format of it (fucking long strips), I hate the artstyles most of the time and of course, memorizing the names is a pain.
Feb 14, 2016 5:55 AM

Dec 2012
Mayuka said:
No, I read them anyway. Although, I don't read that many because I hate the format of it (fucking long strips), I hate the artstyles most of the time and of course, memorizing the names is a pain.

Same here. You listed anything that I don't like about them. Still pretty good tho, just prefer manga.

Though after watching K-drama and Korean movies I've gotten used to the names a bit.
Feb 14, 2016 7:04 AM
Sep 2015
Absolutely not! The art may be different to a manga (for Manhwas that are webcomic styled) but the stories are not cliché. Most of the stories that I love are actually manhwas. Ie. Orange Marmalade and Shall We Have Dinner Tonight. Plus Manhwas are fun to read. They're very comedic most the time.
Feb 14, 2016 7:56 AM
Jan 2013
nerothz said:
Isn't that same as racism ?
heuheuheu, what a way to put it
gone bai bai
Feb 14, 2016 8:50 AM

Apr 2010
Why should I care?

Feb 14, 2016 9:03 AM

Oct 2007
I used to because many are self-published, but then I checked out a couple and now I'm more willing to checking one out instead of just outright passing over it.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Feb 14, 2016 9:21 AM

Oct 2015
nerothz said:
Isn't that same as racism ?

I did say that the style of drawing and writing are different. I hope nobody here does dislike something for its nationality only.
AppileshMar 6, 2016 6:02 PM
Feb 14, 2016 10:04 AM

Jul 2014
If it is in the same format as manga - then no, though I am not that inclined to pick it up either. If you talk about webmanhwa, then yeah: I don't like the format, the art, even if colored, is less detailed than in manga, and I usually end up not liking the plots (somewhat simplistic, somewhat teen angsty).
There's been a couple I liked, so I may try reading something that has couaght my attention, but usually I am unenthusiactic.

I am not sure, but I suspect it is aimed at teens and at reading from phone, and both are not my cup of tea.
Feb 14, 2016 12:23 PM

Jan 2015
I like the fact that they're read vertically. I believe manga should be the same. Those anatomy lessons taught me that it's easier for the human eye to follow and sequence things moving in such a manner. Action scenes feel more fast paced.

But remembering the Korean names is much harder than I thought, no offence to any Koreans. Maybe because I'm more used to japanese names from anime and manga.

Feb 14, 2016 12:41 PM

Feb 2011
I actually own a couple manwha. I got them because I was familiar with the subject matter (World of Warcraft) and I thought it was manga at first because of the style and format. I realized it wasn't when it turned out that it was read left-to-right instead.

I'm not a fan of the format of webmanwha, where they are really long vertically, but otherwise I'm generally fine with them. I haven't read a lot of them though, so I can't say much for their subject matter.
Feb 14, 2016 3:45 PM

Jul 2014
If it's traditional manhwa I'll read it if it sounds interesting. The art can be exquisitely detailed and beautiful. I have a couple manhwa in my favorites and the girl in my signature is from a manhwa.

Haven't read any webcomics or webmanhwa though as I'm not a fan of their format and their art is too basic/simplistic and just doesn't appeal to me.

Appilesh said:
It's not manga, its a korean comic. The style of drawing and writing can be very different. Essentially manhwa is to manga as cartoon is to anime.

Hate to break this to you but manga is nothing more than Japanese comics and anime are cartoons.
TFO1013Feb 15, 2016 6:21 AM
Feb 14, 2016 5:08 PM

Oct 2012
Nope, names might feel a bit weird to read but that's all.
Feb 14, 2016 5:53 PM

Jun 2013
No, I own a few myself. When I bought my first manga, I only realized much later it was in fact a manhwa
Feb 14, 2016 10:43 PM

Apr 2015
they are not to bad, i wouldnt dismiss anything though
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 4, 2016 2:13 AM

Jun 2015
nope. There are a lot of interesting manhwa.
Mar 4, 2016 2:54 AM

Feb 2012
Presuming there was a manwha I wanted to read, I'd do it. Almost did it once, but was not what I was looking for. Don't really care about things like "interesting" or "good" when I choose things. They're just meaningless buzzwords.
Mar 4, 2016 3:31 AM
Jul 2018
I don't mind both physical manhwa or webmanhwa, either for their format or artstyle.

But there is something that disturb me quite a lot: why most of them are ultra-violent? After reading some of them, I'm under the impression that all high schools in South-Korea are filled with delinquents engaged in gang wars.

And I mean, I mostly read romances and gender bender works. "Violence" isn't an usual trope for those two genres.

So I ended up dropping most of them, because too violent for me.
But, the few manhwa where the violence was "light" or inexistent were actually quite good, with the exception of Fluttering Feelings.
Mar 5, 2016 9:00 PM

May 2013
they take longer to load each page on my phone, so yeah. when i have fast internet and a pc i read them
Mar 6, 2016 5:55 PM
Jan 2016
I don't, its just that I like manga better or maybe since I'm more used to it and since it feels more comfortable than trying something different. But I think it still depends on the person if he/she minds the differences especially with the differences in names. In the end, it is great to have a variety of diverse minds in art from different cultures and perspectives.
Mar 7, 2016 11:50 PM

Mar 2012
No, never. One of my all time favourite mangas of all time is a manhwa (Ares).
It doesn't matter where it's from or how it's drawn for me as long as it's good.
Mar 8, 2016 9:20 AM
Jul 2018
No, i can't! So many good stuff to read! I even use webtoon line app to read most of the stuff, if anything i would like to know more manhwa to read!

When i found out about manhwa i though it was going to be weird to read, weird plots or something, but no...some things are different, but i like it!
Mar 8, 2016 10:32 AM

Apr 2013
medmius said:
No, never. One of my all time favourite mangas of all time is a manhwa (Ares).
It doesn't matter where it's from or how it's drawn for me as long as it's good.

Seriously, great taste my friend.

Ares is fucking amazing
Mar 8, 2016 11:40 AM

Jan 2015
Not even, over the last few months I've been reading more and more manhwa and I've been enjoying each read.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Mar 8, 2016 11:42 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Why should you? Yeah you read in a different panel order but other than that's it's pretty much the same. Different names due to the Korean origin I guess but that's a hardly a reason either
Mar 8, 2016 12:37 PM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
Does anyone dismiss them for that reason? lol Sounds so silly. Manhwa can be great and terrible, just like any other story medium.
Mar 8, 2016 1:29 PM

Jan 2012
Manwha, in my experience, tend to be more more interesting.
Naver is a better place to be creative than shonen jump.
Japans Mangas have become repetetive in recent years. Manwhas and Manchuas (wich are not the same as webcomics btw) are a breath of fresh air.
"Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt." - Faust I, Vers 317
Mar 8, 2016 1:42 PM

Apr 2012
I'm considering reading Tower of God. So I'm open to the idea.
Mar 8, 2016 9:02 PM

Mar 2009
I used to. I blame Tokyopop, they pushed the hell out of their OEL and it came off as being knockoff manga (because most of their OEL were garbage, though a few were good to be fair), and manhwa, also being read left to right, certainly came off the same way.

But now I know what I've been missing. Some garbage, sure, but garbage manga comes out too, so it's unfair to say all manga is godly at the same time.

It's a very different beast, but it's also a flavor that I enjoy. Their shojo tend to somehow be even soapier than manga much of the time.
Mar 8, 2016 9:41 PM
Nov 2015
No, not really. Some plot lines aren't as well developed, but the art is amazing.
I read webtoons. *trying desperately to catch up with Noblesse*
Mar 8, 2016 10:44 PM

Mar 2012
hoopla123 said:

Seriously, great taste my friend.

Ares is fucking amazing

Right back at you :)
So happy I found Ares.
Mar 9, 2016 2:53 AM
Feb 2016
I would love if Manhwa like Orange Mermelade where added to MAL....

Its pretty much close to manga...than many other manhwas....I mean the story style....the art is good too..
Mar 9, 2016 3:57 AM
Oct 2014
Initially, I did. Because I thought that it wouldnotbe 'Japanese.'
But, as I took up one (my first was DICE), I was proved wrong. I actually forgot that it is not a manga (like the Brwaker, which is not a webtoon) and not Japanese sometimes. They also explore dark themes pretty well and are usually less obssessed with marketing (which means less clichés).
So I would say: really, don't dismiss manwah, even though Japan would still dominate the manfa world
Mar 9, 2016 6:35 AM

Nov 2014
No, I've read a few that I've loved, so I'll continue to treat it like I would any other medium.
Mar 10, 2016 2:01 PM

Apr 2010
If I feel like reading anything, then no. (right now, I don't feel like reading long mangas). But I read Noblesse, if it counts.

Mar 10, 2016 2:31 PM

Jul 2012
No I don't dismiss it. It doesn't matter what country from if it is a good story then it is a good story. The different art style doesn't bother me. Plus I'm Korean so more reason to like it.

Here are some recommendations for good Manhwa if anyone wants them:

안나라수마나라(Annarasumanara)
보지 못하고 듣지 못하고 사랑해(Can't see can't hear but can love)
Let 다이(Let Dai)
노블레스(Noblesse)
신의 탑(Tower of God)- Not in MAL database don't bother looking.
Mar 10, 2016 6:54 PM

Aug 2013
Manhwa would be so much better if it was simply black and white and used traditional comic book paneling format. Cause really, they just love stacking one panel against another one in a quite messy sequences, and leave much of the pages basically empty. Also, i'm often lost at character's movements and their positions against background since the authors often not trying to do anything about it.
Mar 10, 2016 7:17 PM

Jul 2012
Amiluhur said:
Manhwa would be so much better if it was simply black and white and used traditional comic book paneling format. Cause really, they just love stacking one panel against another one in a quite messy sequences, and leave much of the pages basically empty. Also, i'm often lost at character's movements and their positions against background since the authors often not trying to do anything about it.

You are confusing manhwa with Korean webtoons. Webtoons use that panel stacking method. That said most of the manhwa on MAL are webtoons.

An example of a Korean Manhwa that uses the traditional comic book paneling format is Let Dai. I strongly recommend a read. Great psychological romance story with mature themes.
Mar 10, 2016 7:41 PM
Mar 2016
mascarpone said:
I'm considering reading Tower of God. So I'm open to the idea.
Tower of God is a masterpiece. I don't know why anyone wouldn't like manhwas. Most are high quality stories with color. Arguably better than manga.
Mar 11, 2016 1:19 PM
Mar 2014
Honestly, I prefer Manhwa over Manga. It's hard to find good english translations that don't come from NAVER (which only host a very small about of webtoons, out of which an even smaller number that interest me), but I like it a lot more than japanese manga.

For one thing, the long strips are very comfortable. I dislike the multiple pages in manga, when reading online for example it must load after each new page, which takes out some of the immersion. Certain sites such as mangafox have a feature (on mobile) that makes it similar to webtoon-format, but because the manga isn't meant to be read in a single, long strip, it doesn't always work out well.

In addition, the art. I don't think I've ever seen a popular manga with many chapters that are all made in color. All webtoons I've read so far weren't in black and white (excluding The Breaker, which I was convinced was a normal manga until I was informed that I was incorrect).

Also, Japanese humor is slightly amusing, but it gets old fast. And by 'japanese humor' I mean the NSFW kind which appears as fanservice in nearly every manga/anime you see nowadays.

The style of manhwa just feels so... fresh. Refreshing. Compared to manga, I'd take it any day. Plus I love those goddamn long strips, especially the first few chapters of Tower of God.
Mar 11, 2016 1:39 PM

Jan 2008
I avoid Korean webtoons as I'm not particularly fond of reading long strips like that. A lot of the ones I've tried felt so wasteful as if they were leaving huge empty blanks so they could increase their page count.

As for regular Korean manwha, I honestly don't see very much of them cause they're overrun by webtoons.

So I generally just avoid them all in general.
Mar 11, 2016 2:05 PM
Mar 2016
Of course not, in my opinion, a lot of manhwa have better art (full color). And it's like manga when it comes to the storyline, sometimes it sucks and sometimes it's really good.. But the problem is often the chapters are too short and there aren't a lot of them.
Mar 12, 2016 9:17 AM

Jun 2013
There's few manhwa I enjoyed because the artstyle is usually so different compared no manga. While I usually find this off putting, there's some manhwa with artstyles that fit the series better than a manga artstyle. Quite some manhwa are also fully colored, which is another plus. Overall, I do tend to stay away from them...
Mar 12, 2016 1:41 PM

Feb 2016
Nope.

I actually bought all 10 volumes of The Breaker because it is really good. They look amazing on my shelf.

Also pre-ordered The Breaker New Wave.
Mar 12, 2016 1:44 PM

Jan 2015
I don't have anything against manhwa. Honestly, I've never read one, but I'd be open to trying one.
Mar 12, 2016 7:33 PM

Dec 2013
I personally do not like webcomic manhwa due to the format, but one's done like manga are completely fine.
Mar 19, 2016 9:12 PM

Jan 2014
No, I wouldn't.

The Koreans came up with some epic manhwas.

Like The Gamer, The Breaker and some other titles.

Once you have read The Breaker, you will agree that it is superior to many Japanese action manga. Both in terms of story and art.
Mar 27, 2016 4:31 AM

Oct 2014
yes I dismiss them
Mar 27, 2016 10:12 AM

Dec 2011
They can make good stuff too. No, I don't.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

378 by Hexcellion »»
22 minutes ago

» From all the ongoing (and on hiatus) manga, you can choose only one to eventually reach a conclusion. Which one would it be?

Caciulacdlac - Apr 10

5 by nishant0 »»
3 hours ago

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

21 by nishant0 »»
3 hours ago

» Do you guys pick up completed axed manga.

zkl_ - Feb 28

13 by bucciest »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » What is your favorite shounen arc?

HM0710 - Sep 6, 2021

17 by Rhaelynne »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.