Forum Settings
Forums

Is there an anime you consider a "masterpiece", but would not recommend to other people?

New
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Feb 7, 2016 1:09 PM

May 2010
Penguindrum, Utena, and YKA. I consider all three to be masterpieces but I think they are just too complex and abstract for my regular friends to watch lol. But I would recommend them to more serious anime watchers but I don't have a lot of friends like that.
Feb 7, 2016 1:47 PM

Aug 2014
Z-Dante said:
Charlotte. Literally the best anime of summer 2015. But for some reason everyone starts acting all Tsundere around it \(〇_o)/

So I wouldn't recommend it to anyone before checking their entire list first.

Fuck seems like your serious about Charlotte being good...

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Feb 7, 2016 1:50 PM

Dec 2015
EliteTaste said:
And if we're talking in general then:

texhnolyze
serial experiments lain
haibane renmei
kaiba
casshern sins
kino's journey
ghost in the shell
mawaru penguindrum
gunslinger girls

I think kino's journey can have something that everyone likes.
Although, I suppose there are some elements to the series that are distasteful for some.
Banner credit to @turnip
Feb 7, 2016 4:49 PM

Oct 2015
Watamote.While I really enjoy this show,I know nobody around me will.
I don't consider Watamote to be a ''masterpiece'',but still...

I really should change my name.

Feb 7, 2016 5:56 PM

Jul 2014
Bosskardo said:
Z-Dante said:
Charlotte. Literally the best anime of summer 2015. But for some reason everyone starts acting all Tsundere around it \(〇_o)/

So I wouldn't recommend it to anyone before checking their entire list first.

Yep. I don't get why people don't like it.

Also:
Kurozuka - a lot of people say it's confusing (but thats the idea!!!)

Charlotte became a trainwreck at the last episode, such an obvious asspull.
Feb 7, 2016 7:16 PM

Oct 2015
Eikyuu Kazoku (Eternal Family) - It's extremely crazy so I loved it but I wouldn't recommend it to anybody.
Feb 7, 2016 7:33 PM

Oct 2014
FMA2003 is a masterpiece, but I'd never reccomend to those Brotherhood plebs (the baiting will never stop lol). On a more serious note, I really enjoyed Blue Exorcist, but I wouldn't reccomend it to a lot of people.
On the oppposite end of the spectrum, I don't consider Magi to be a masterpiece but I'd definitely reccomend it to anybody who just wants a good anime. There's literally something in that show for everyone.
What Kabaneri Did Wrong:
- Edgelord protagonist
- Special snowflake girlfriend
- Giving humans powers
- Failing to create a unique/memorable setting

What Kabaneri Did Right:
Feb 7, 2016 7:48 PM

Mar 2014
Horatio_Nelson said:
FMA2003 is a masterpiece, but I'd never reccomend to those Brotherhood plebs (the baiting will never stop lol). On a more serious note, I really enjoyed Blue Exorcist, but I wouldn't reccomend it to a lot of people.
On the oppposite end of the spectrum, I don't consider Magi to be a masterpiece but I'd definitely reccomend it to anybody who just wants a good anime. There's literally something in that show for everyone.
I don't know why people are up in arms about which is better, they're both great, let's just be happy that we have two excellent shows.
Feb 7, 2016 7:49 PM

May 2012
All of my favorites. Most people aren't open minded.
Feb 7, 2016 7:51 PM

Oct 2015
In my case, Shokugeki no soma is my favorite anime. Not because i think its a masterpiece, but because i truly enjoyed every single chapter and I would re-watch it at anytime. I know its not for everyone, thats why i don't recommend it.

I have a weird ranking system, i give 10 to animes that i think they are a masterpiece and give 9 to animes (Like shokugeki no soma) that might be my favorites and that i prefer them more than the animes i rated 10, but the reason i gave them 9 is because they aren't a masterpiece and i know that. Yeah, i am weird af.
Feb 7, 2016 7:53 PM

Jun 2015
High school DxD, hmph I would not recommend it to people lol
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Feb 7, 2016 10:58 PM

Mar 2014
LoGH. Most anime fans I know are casuals so I highly doubt they'd finish it.
Feb 7, 2016 11:30 PM

Apr 2013
I rarely recommend Fairy Tail, One Piece and Bleach since they're very long shows.
Feb 8, 2016 12:19 AM

May 2014
One Piece(too much eps), Clannad(not to filthy casuals that only watches action), Aria(same reason as Clannad), and Monster(not to ppl who only watches anime these days with huge ass eyes and no nose)3
Feb 8, 2016 1:06 AM
Jul 2018
Masterpieces really don't exist in anime because so called "masterpieces" don't have universal appeal. I consider 1940s Fantasia and some looney toons ( Rabit of Seville, What's opera doc?) to be masterpieces cause lots of people enjoy classical music. They are well crafted, draw you into the story, and are easy to follow.

Anything that is longer than 12 episodes is hard to call masterpieces cause they are too long.
Feb 8, 2016 3:27 AM

Aug 2014
Masterpieces really don't exist in anime because so called "masterpieces" don't have universal appeal. I consider 1940s Fantasia and some looney toons ( Rabit of Seville, What's opera doc?) to be masterpieces cause lots of people enjoy classical music. They are well crafted, draw you into the story, and are easy to follow.

Anything that is longer than 12 episodes is hard to call masterpieces cause they are too long.

But the definition of a masterpiece has nothing to do with universal appeal...

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Feb 8, 2016 6:42 AM

Feb 2016
Speed Grapher, FLCL, and Death Parade.
Feb 8, 2016 6:48 AM

Oct 2014
merryfistmas said:
I don't know why people are up in arms about which is better, they're both great, let's just be happy that we have two excellent shows.
It is because 2003 is often demonized for being unfaithful to the plot, and Brotherhood was justice to those who rallied behind the banner of faithful adaptations and used it as an example to prove that shows such as 2003 were arrogant in presuming they could do better than the original.
Feb 8, 2016 6:56 AM

Nov 2014
Seirei no Moribito

I usually try not to recommend it to people who have a lot of action, ecchi, or angst titles in their favorites as it would probably be too "slow" for them.
Feb 8, 2016 7:28 AM

Dec 2014
The magi series absolutely fantastic anime and my absolute favourite. Another master piece for me has to be inu x boku ss although I know others may not feel the same.
Feb 8, 2016 7:42 AM

Dec 2015
PoeticJustice said:
All of my favorites. Most people aren't open minded.

WTF, I see nothing wrong with your favorites.
How dare these people.
Banner credit to @turnip
Feb 8, 2016 7:52 AM

Nov 2015
Galaxy__ said:
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso

people who arent into classic music or only watch action anime wouldnt like it

I'm not into classical music. You don't need to know your classical music to get dem feelz..
Feb 8, 2016 8:33 AM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Monogatari Series. I wouldn't recommend it to people who are impatient because they would be put off because of all the exposition and talking.

It's funny because I tried it once on one my friends and they instantly hated it. But it also depends because we all have different tastes.
Feb 8, 2016 8:42 AM

Aug 2009
I love Kemonozume, but aside from Cat Soup it's Yuasa's least accessible wok. I'll still recommend it once in a while if I feel like someone is open minded.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Feb 8, 2016 8:50 AM

May 2015
AzureDaora said:
So far only Shinsekai Yori, Penguindrum, and Princess Tutu aren't something I would recommend to any person with normal "casual taste". Tatami Galaxy would be like that too, but imo not as much as the other three.
Madoka is pretty beginner friendly tho, Rebellion isn't so much imo

Tatami Galaxy is the opposite. It may be experimental and weird, but it's very accessible and lively. It's the best anime to recommend to outsiders. It can be about 'real life' without low-key to a fault.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 8, 2016 8:54 AM

Dec 2015
Death Parade. I liked the ambiance of this show, but i wouldn't recommend it.
SmoothJazzDavisFeb 8, 2016 9:00 AM
Feb 8, 2016 9:05 AM

Dec 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
AzureDaora said:
So far only Shinsekai Yori, Penguindrum, and Princess Tutu aren't something I would recommend to any person with normal "casual taste". Tatami Galaxy would be like that too, but imo not as much as the other three.
Madoka is pretty beginner friendly tho, Rebellion isn't so much mo

Tatami Galaxy is the opposite. It may be experimental and weird, but it's very accessible and lively. It's the best anime to recommend to outsiders. It can be about 'real life' without low-key to a fault.

I feel the tatami galaxy is a good option for people who regularly watch anime but want something different.

I would never recommend it to someone who only watches very casual series like SAO or dbz.
I mean, they could like it, but it is a series that is 100% unique and I know some anime fans in real life who hate it because of the dialogue or think it's boring.

Other than that, I would recommend it to other fans.

4blaze2it0 said:
Galaxy__ said:
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso

people who arent into classic music or only watch action anime wouldnt like it

I'm not into classical music. You don't need to know your classical music to get dem feelz..

I like classical, but I agree that you don't have to like classical to feel those emotions.
Banner credit to @turnip
Feb 8, 2016 9:36 AM

Jun 2008
KonaKoffee4 said:
One thing I notice is that whenever I see users on here asking for recommendations that many people will usually recommend their favorites, no matter what genre it is the user is asking for.

You are so right there. This people are just so stupid.
They do not care of what is asked or what the op likes, they just throw their damn fav every time.
Feb 8, 2016 9:45 AM

Aug 2015
Kiss x Sis

Coz I don't want you to have a weird idea over your sisters.. you siscon.
Feb 8, 2016 9:52 AM

Jun 2015
-Senpai- said:
I would recommend everyone to stay away from chinese cartoons. Before it's too late...

I agree. Which is why I watch Japanese ones.

OT: If I liked it, I recommend it. I am a simple man.
Seiya0890 said:
But its still disgusting from my point of view, and from the word's point of view, therefore its disgusting.

Wise words.
Feb 8, 2016 10:00 AM

Dec 2015
Kerozinn said:
holysauron said:
SAO. I won't recommend it because people on the internet are not really nice about this series and most people do not really take the word of one person.

yeh but SAO is anything but a masterpiece.

To each their own I guess. When I saw it I thought it was a masterpiece. It's been a while since then though.
Feb 8, 2016 10:52 AM

May 2010
holysauron said:
Kerozinn said:

yeh but SAO is anything but a masterpiece.

To each their own I guess. When I saw it I thought it was a masterpiece. It's been a while since then though.

Guess you must have blinked during that plot black hole.
Feb 8, 2016 10:54 AM

Jul 2015
I wouldn't recommend Clannad After Story to everybody, but i consider it to be a masterpiece.
Feb 8, 2016 10:55 AM

Nov 2012
there isn't a show i've rated a 10 that i haven't recommended to someone sometime. but generally i wouldn't recommend shows like kaiba or mawaru penguindrum to more "casual" fans.
Feb 8, 2016 11:27 AM

Mar 2015
Personally I think that Neon Genesis Evangelion is the by far greatest Anime series of all time but I wouldnt recommend it to other people because I know that not every person can identify themselfes with the Characters as much as I do
Feb 8, 2016 12:32 PM
Feb 2009
OppaiSugoi said:
Bosskardo said:

Yep. I don't get why people don't like it.

Also:
Kurozuka - a lot of people say it's confusing (but thats the idea!!!)

Charlotte became a trainwreck at the last episode, such an obvious asspull.

Yep but somehow that really didn't bother me. Main events were already over.
Feb 8, 2016 3:56 PM
Dec 2015
Steins;Gate - I find it hard recommending it to people but I will always rewatch it whenever I am programming. Daru is my man.
Feb 8, 2016 4:08 PM

Jan 2014
4blaze2it0 said:
I'd say NHK because it's not for everyone.
Normies after watchin' NHK be like "the animation was shiet. tf MCs a loser lol". They don't know a masterpiece when they see one..

This!

Feb 8, 2016 4:18 PM
Jul 2018
Monster because most people might become bored due to the pace.
Feb 8, 2016 4:20 PM

Mar 2012
if you love it hide it from the plebeians
Mayuka said:

did you call

holier than thou bitch right here

last.fm

Feb 8, 2016 4:50 PM

Feb 2015
Hellsing Ultimate, some people can't handle with the gore in this OVAs but it's one of my favourite animes. I really like the fights, revenges and characters in hellsing
Feb 8, 2016 4:50 PM

Jun 2014
Yes.

Ergo Proxy. Why? because a lot people have the attention span of a 5 year old with ADD.
Feb 8, 2016 5:12 PM
Nov 2015
OMG Sakamichi no Apollon/Kids on the Slope! Love this so much. I wouldn't recommend though mostly because I just don't think it would appeal to many. It's set in the 60s for one, (2) it's a josei anime re. a couple guys and their love of jazz music. (3) I think the jazz alone would put a lot of people off.

Oh and as if that wasn't enough the cover for it looks kinda stupid (totally doesn't do it any justice).

However, if you can get past all of these things (and are willing to give anything a try) it features one of the best and most realistic bro-mances I've ever watched. Excellent character developments and some intricate love triangles. It really feels like you're part of the 60s when you watch it. Plus the music really sets the scene.

I was indifferent to jazz before watching this but, seriously, the soundtrack is amazing.

lol, but yah, I wouldn't generally recommend as I kinda assume that if I did the person would just find it too boring.
Feb 8, 2016 5:30 PM

Aug 2014
seipasn said:
Milk_is_Special said:
Highschool DxD, because apparently no one can look past the boobs.

hard to look past something that's covering up 98% of the screen at all times

uhh bruh I'm right here, the plot is what drives us
Feb 8, 2016 5:40 PM

Oct 2010
I kind of have this feeling about Gintama, specially to newcomers who aren't too used to comedy anime tropes. I always try to emphasize its meta aspects but on the other hand I'm aware of the limitations of selling a comedy that is basically:
-Dick jokes
-Characters screaming and overreacting
-Referencing out of context

And I have to convince them that this is hilarious and inventive.
Feb 8, 2016 5:42 PM

Dec 2015
masterofgo said:
merryfistmas said:
It is because 2003 is often demonized for being unfaithful to the plot, and Brotherhood was justice to those who rallied behind the banner of faithful adaptations and used it as an example to prove that shows such as 2003 were arrogant in presuming they could do better than the original.

yea...I'm sorry but I agree with this.
I liked both, but I felt FMA:B was way better not only because it was faithful, but I felt everything was tied together in a much more coherent way.
Banner credit to @turnip
Feb 8, 2016 5:42 PM

Dec 2015
jal90 said:

-Dick jokes

best kind of jokes btw.

wait, gintama has this???
Banner credit to @turnip
Feb 8, 2016 5:43 PM

Oct 2010
KonaKoffee4 said:
jal90 said:

-Dick jokes

best kind of jokes btw.

It has the best dick jokes in the market.
Feb 8, 2016 5:47 PM

Dec 2015
jal90 said:
KonaKoffee4 said:

best kind of jokes btw.

It has the best dick jokes in the market.

dick jokes yay!
yay for dick jokes!

yay
Banner credit to @turnip
Feb 8, 2016 5:58 PM

Aug 2014
SakuraKitsune said:
Yes.

Ergo Proxy. Why? because a lot people have the attention span of a 5 year old with ADD.

I tried really hard to watch it, but for whatever reason it just didn't grab my interest and I would always drop it for something else around 10 episodes in. Even though I gave it 4/5 chances and restarted from the beginning each time just something about it didn't grab me. In the end I asked a friend to tell me what happened in the story because I was still interested in how it finished.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

130 by -YaoiBoy- »»
10 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

216 by Coaghim »»
18 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

33 by FanofAction »»
21 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 2 hours ago

7 by BitChilly »»
29 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - 7 hours ago

24 by Coaghim »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.