Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Feb 5, 2016 1:33 AM

Jul 2012
Kotori_Sonoda said:
This is my first exposure to the franchise.
I loved it.

Im feel sorry for you... this is the worst Macross so far, IMHO.
Feb 5, 2016 1:35 AM

Jul 2012
Hated it... Macross F is one of my favourite animes ever and this is just ridiculous. This should have a different name... magical idols with super powers... thats not macross :/
Feb 6, 2016 4:39 AM

Apr 2012
Excuritas said:
Kotori_Sonoda said:
This is my first exposure to the franchise.
I loved it.

I've been getting that ever since I told people this is my first exposure to the franchise.

I saw giant robots and singing idols, and I like that, that's all there is to it.
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Feb 9, 2016 6:50 AM
Jan 2013
It's just the first episode.We don't know enough to call it the "worst".Anyways it wasn't bad..I like the way the episode ended.

Feb 12, 2016 12:21 PM

Oct 2010
Hmm, I love Macross so I'll probably watch it till the end, even if I start disliking it badly. Feels a bit different but we will see if it holds the magic. Too many waifus though.
Feb 21, 2016 8:52 PM

Feb 2012
Not bad!
I was expecting something underwhelming like Macross Frontier but it was definitely better than that.

The original Macross is one of the best animes of all times, and its legacy deserves just the best. I dont know if this anime will be great, but what I have seen so far, I like it.
Mar 7, 2016 5:22 AM

Jun 2008
Is this topic about episode 0.89? From what I've read episode 1 won't be shown until later in March.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Mar 8, 2016 7:59 PM

Jan 2016
You know, i'm a Macross 7 sympathizer. I know, i know, it's dumb, it's over the top, etc. However, in M7, the most over the top elements were Basara and the Protodevlin. Now, Basara is just a guy who was inspired by Lynn Minmay and decided he wanted to do that shit too. And when he enters his red Valkyrie and starts singing, we can see nearly the entire cast just stare at him, wondering "who the hell is this retard and why is he doing that?". Sure, it ends up working, but even that is met with surprise. When the Protodevlin pop up, people are also surprised to see such crazy shit.
This is because, prior to M7, that kinda crazy shit didn't happen in Macross. As such, even milder elements of over-the-topness were met with surprise.
But in this show, they just throw that out the window.
An idol group singing right in front of the violent, crazy people who they are trying to appease is apparently completely natural (bear in mind, when Ranka went to sing to the rioting Zentradi, everyone flipped the fuck out, and she was quite distant from them). Now, i realize that the show implies that in the 8-year timeskip between Frontier and this, suddenly a new race of humans or some convoluted shit like that (veremere? I'd have to rewatch it to remember the name, and i do not want to do that) popped up. But here's the thing; This is the most out of place thing since the Protodevlin. And the Protodevlin is (well, was) the most out of place thing in the entirety of Macross; they were weird demon guys who put people in comas by stealing their willpower. They could fly and hypnotize/possess (it wasn't really clearly explained) humans. Easily the craziest part of M7, and probably a big part of why so many people hated M7. And boy, people absolutely hated (many still do) M7.

And then you give us a series where an idol group (do realize that many mecha fans refer to idol anime as "moeblob idolshit") singing and jumping around Naruto style and going super mode and shit with tons of colors flying around, half the cast has stupid shit on their hair, tne protagonist manages to be blander than Hikaru, and you expect people to just accept it? There was nearly no effort whatsoever in trying to make this fit into the Macross universe. They halfassedly threw around some names and surnames here and there, and that's about it.

And here's the thing: I'm pretty sure nobody would have a problem with this series if it was its own stand-off thing. I sure wouldn't. It's definitely not my thing, but i wouldn't hate it either. But by slapping the Macross name on this, now all the Macross fans are gonna flood this series with negative reviews, and bash every single episode on these forums. I just hope the genius who decided to make this a Macross show is proud of himself.

TL;DR: This is a decent idol show that is gonna get tons of hate because some idiot decided that this should be considered a Macross series, and proceeded to make no effort to make it fit the rest of the franchise (at least M7 tried).
"Now you have your answer. That's Fire Bomber. We don't know their past or future... they're just here. That's all there is." - Akiko Lips
Mar 8, 2016 8:07 PM

Jan 2016
Kotori_Sonoda said:
Excuritas said:

I've been getting that ever since I told people this is my first exposure to the franchise.

I saw giant robots and singing idols, and I like that, that's all there is to it.

I feel sorry for you. Not because this is the worst one ('worst' and 'best' are incredibly subjective terms), but because if you end up really loving this one once it's done, you'll probably try to find other animes like it, look at the other Macross animes, and be extremely disappointed when you find out they have extremely different themes and tones.
"Now you have your answer. That's Fire Bomber. We don't know their past or future... they're just here. That's all there is." - Akiko Lips
Mar 9, 2016 5:01 PM

Apr 2012
GhostofSide6 said:
Kotori_Sonoda said:

I feel sorry for you. Not because this is the worst one ('worst' and 'best' are incredibly subjective terms), but because if you end up really loving this one once it's done, you'll probably try to find other animes like it, look at the other Macross animes, and be extremely disappointed when you find out they have extremely different themes and tones.

That's okay, big fan of both the Transformers and Gundam franchises where two shows from the same franchise have super different tones (compare Build Fighters to Iron Blooded Orphans, or Beast Machines to Robots in Disguise 2015).

I am interested in seeing the other Macross anime though. Any suggestion where to start?
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Mar 10, 2016 12:49 PM

Jan 2016
Kotori_Sonoda said:
GhostofSide6 said:

That's okay, big fan of both the Transformers and Gundam franchises where two shows from the same franchise have super different tones (compare Build Fighters to Iron Blooded Orphans, or Beast Machines to Robots in Disguise 2015).

I am interested in seeing the other Macross anime though. Any suggestion where to start?

The thing is though, G Gundam, Gundam Wing, Build Fighters and the Original Gundams (0079, Zeta, ZZ, CCA, etc) are all in different continuities from each other. But here, they decided to make it all one single continuity, and this pissed many fans off, understandably.

I'd recommend you watch the original TV Series, SDF Macross (if you don't mind extremely dated animation), and then watch the movie, "Do You Remember Love?" (which is a classic and has much better animation, but you'll be pretty confused if you try to watch it without having watched the original TV series first).
If you want something similar in tone to this (but still much more grounded), watch Macross 7 and Macross 7 Encore (i'd recommend you skip Dynamite 7).
If you want the hypest animation you'll ever see and you don't mind a short series or a mediocre plot, check out Macross Plus.
And finally, if you want something in the same vein of the original Macross, but much more recent and with CG animation, check out Macross Frontier and its movies (although both the TV Series' and the movies' endings are quite disappointing, IMO).

I haven't watched Macross Zero yet, so i can't really comment on it, but it is a prequel to the original SDF Macross, so you'll probably want to watch that first.
Mar 10, 2016 7:59 PM

Jan 2016
If you want to watch macross, the timeline is this:

Macross Zero (OAV) is a prequel and is pretty good
Macross First TV
Macross Movie (is an alternate telling of the TV)
Macross Plus
Macross Seven TV, then OAV and movies
Macross F TV
Macross F movie (an alternate telling of the TV)
Macross Delta

Macross 2 is a OAV series set 70 years after the first TV, was the first OAV series made, but it was dropped out of the continuity when Macross Plus and Seven were created

Macross 7 and now Macross Delta are disliked by many fans for many reasons, and i'm one of them

By the way, in every new macross series, a new "power" of the songs is discovered, and the old powers are forgotten
Mar 11, 2016 4:22 AM
Dec 2015
LTTP but I personally loved it.

It's got all the trappings of Macross dressed up in modern themes:

- love triangle (mature love interest, cockie rookie becomes ace pilot, undiscovered moe idol...going to be a few deaths and heartbreaks all around given the expanded cast)

- costume projection/transformation (back in SDF Macross, Hikaru and Minmei go on a date and this technology first appears; it turned up later in Macross F as well, just watch episode 1 to see Sheryl change costumes mid-song)

- the power of songs (uh, this has been in EVERY Macross entry, but keeps getting more mystical each new entry into the franchise)

- some kind of genetic defect/infection that responds to music (resurgent theme from F most recently, first encountered in Macross II and Zero)

- clash of music/culture (all Macross entries have this, but you guys really need to watch Macross II to understand the Var Syndrome and the opera singing as trigger being similar to the bloodlust invoked in Marduk Zentradi by their songstresses)

- pinpoint barrier technology and drones (from bulky force fields in SDF Macross, to pinpoint barrier punch in Macross Plus, finally to mobile drone projectors in Delta in an modern age where drones are going to rule the skies in civilian and military spheres)

- bishonen and bishojou idol groups (yes, Jpop is in the midst of a "group" / "collaboration" trend, AKB0048 were one of the first but certainly won't be the last

- music as part of the attraction to the series (if you follow May'n's work, the RL singer for Sheryl Nome in Macross F, you will see how huge it is from a money perspective to sell everything, including live concerts)
Mar 11, 2016 5:19 AM

Apr 2012
GhostofSide6 said:

The thing is though, G Gundam, Gundam Wing, Build Fighters and the Original Gundams (0079, Zeta, ZZ, CCA, etc) are all in different continuities from each other. But here, they decided to make it all one single continuity, and this pissed many fans off, understandably.

I'd recommend you watch the original TV Series, SDF Macross (if you don't mind extremely dated animation), and then watch the movie, "Do You Remember Love?" (which is a classic and has much better animation, but you'll be pretty confused if you try to watch it without having watched the original TV series first).
If you want something similar in tone to this (but still much more grounded), watch Macross 7 and Macross 7 Encore (i'd recommend you skip Dynamite 7).
If you want the hypest animation you'll ever see and you don't mind a short series or a mediocre plot, check out Macross Plus.
And finally, if you want something in the same vein of the original Macross, but much more recent and with CG animation, check out Macross Frontier and its movies (although both the TV Series' and the movies' endings are quite disappointing, IMO).

I haven't watched Macross Zero yet, so i can't really comment on it, but it is a prequel to the original SDF Macross, so you'll probably want to watch that first.

I see, that makes sense.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try to watch those.

Mar 13, 2016 4:16 AM

Dec 2009
D-Joe said:
And wow, AKB0048 2.0 mixed some Symphogear style lol.
That's exactly what i thought lol. I like that about it (not that i was a mega fan of symphogear, it's execution was awkward. AKB was delightfully cheesy).

So many people with forced impressions, and obstinance toward their world view of Macross (i knew this would happen lol). The outcome that is Macross Delta is pretty inevitable. When you even just glance over the tone shifts through the Macross series, it starts off kinda serious and then gets gradually more fantastical. There is nothing fallacious or terrible about where this is going, so don't throw your preconceptions onto it, it might just not be going in a direction you like, suck it up. With the way that the current japanese social media and so on is headed, the "idols" are just going to keep solidifying their presence. The same change can be observed within the evolution of the macross universe.

After the events of Macross F, with the power of song and the Vajra connection influencing the fold, it's not surprising - and even to be expected, that further proliferation of the understanding of ways to manipulate the fold via song would happen (if you missed the mention of fold waves, there you go). This means more people would try to use the -cough- science to their advantage, thus you get a very symphogear-like song war.

I'm not personally a huge fan of the popular "idols" but i do have a level of appreciation for what they do, as i've learned of the sincerity of their efforts and goals. The fact that macross took up the idol trend is virtually unavoidable and there's nothing wrong with it either. I for one am very much going to enjoy this fresh-to-macross approach, as this first episode was a lot of fun. It was quirky, it was weird - just like AKB0048 was when i first saw those "No Idol" missiles fling across the screen... But at the end of the day, it's entertainment, it exists to be fun, and it is fun - even if it's bizarre. Macross is very good at keeping modern.

Reality: the tones of these series are going to shift dramatically over time to fit the social state of the culture at the time of it's making, accept it and appreciate it, or realize you probably didn't admire the universe as much as you thought.

All of that said, i hope it doesn't get quite as cheesy as AKB; macross isn't really suited for that much silliness.
(Ps: i've only watched Macross F, and soon i'll watch Zero, dunno if i'll watch the old series anytime soon though)
GenesisAriaMar 13, 2016 7:01 AM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Mar 14, 2016 4:25 PM

Jan 2013
I'm sitting here watching it like "haha this is so dumb. but that's sort of what macross has always been about" I still never thought they'd go back towards Macross 7's build of the singers actually fighting along side the pilots. Like the rest I'm going to watch it regardless.
Mar 15, 2016 5:36 PM

Jan 2016
GenesisAria said:
D-Joe said:
And wow, AKB0048 2.0 mixed some Symphogear style lol.

(Ps: i've only watched Macross F, and soon i'll watch Zero, dunno if i'll watch the old series anytime soon though)

if you watch the first macross and compare it to delta or seven, you could doubt that you are looking at the same anime

now im just wondering how much success could have an harem anime with kawaii monsters, fan service and alot of space fightings, if i call it "gone with the wind delta"
and im also wondering how many people that will complain should receive the same answers that i readed on this forum when we talked about macross

realty is simple: what matters is the money that you can earn by producing an anime
no producer cares if is good, if the drawings are nice, if the story make sense with itself or other macross stories
what matters is MONEY, and macross delta is the perfect example of this law

well, im proud to say that it will not be my money
ZeroGMar 15, 2016 6:25 PM
Mar 16, 2016 5:03 AM

Dec 2009
ZeroG said:
realty is simple: what matters is the money that you can earn by producing an anime
no producer cares if is good, if the drawings are nice, if the story make sense with itself or other macross stories
what matters is MONEY, and macross delta is the perfect example of this law

well, im proud to say that it will not be my money
That's quite false. Akiba media is unique like the western gaming industry is, most of it is actually not money focused, money is secondary. They need the money to make it worthwhile, but their focus is on delivering something the people will like. That does lean into money farming territory with some anime and games clearly, but it does much less of than than you'd expect. A lot of the people going into production do it out of a passion for the media, and they have that desire to be part of a worthy project. There are many producers and artist who put pride into work, even if under the guise of profit. Sometimes it just comes out clumsy because they didn't have the time or budget to see their ambitions through.

End of the day, these things are made because it's what they want to make and it's what people want to see. The money allows it to happen. That's the kind of place akiba is. This theme is the frame of mind the public is in at present, and if you're not in the same frame of mind, well you're the exception, or you just haven't been around the culture enough.

It's not my favourite, but i do respect it's trendiness.

Mar 16, 2016 5:49 AM

Jan 2016
GenesisAria said:
This theme is the frame of mind the public is in at present, and if you're not in the same frame of mind, well you're the exception, or you just haven't been around the culture enough.

i have been an otaku for over 35 years, and i do not dislike the trend of symphogear
actually i do not dislike any trend, as long the story makes sense, is interesting, and does not "forget" or "change" some events to make the main character win
some of the anime that changed this world were made by people that went against producers to create what they wanted
just to make an example no one belived that gundam could be a success, producers just wanted a 20 minute commercial to sell a robot toy, and had many fights with tomino over the series design, also because at first it was a "box office bomb"
but what we have here with delta (and seven) is different
is like having a dragonball z2 that is a shoujo
a dragonball z3 that continues the story as a crude horror
and a dragonball z4 that ends the saga as a proxy battle card game anime
macross in the 1982 was a sci fi anime, and pretty realistic
now we have an army and government that sends to battle underaged girls so they can sing and dance on the head of the enemy mecha, while my army mecha shoot at it
but no worries, as long that the girl sings, she can take a direct it or two
not to mention that in every new macross series, songs acquire new incredible powers that could change the world, but no one seem remember the powers they had in the previous series
is not a different timeline like gundam wing and gundam x, they are in the same continuity as the first macross?
yeah sure
then in the next macross what i will see?
a cluster missile that delivers 100 poke balls to the target?
Mar 16, 2016 7:04 AM

Dec 2009
ZeroG said:
GenesisAria said:
This theme is the frame of mind the public is in at present, and if you're not in the same frame of mind, well you're the exception, or you just haven't been around the culture enough.
i have been an otaku for over 35 years, and i do not dislike the trend of symphogear
actually i do not dislike any trend, as long the story makes sense, is interesting, and does not "forget" or "change" some events to make the main character win
some of the anime that changed this world were made by people that went against producers to create what they wanted
just to make an example no one belived that gundam could be a success, producers just wanted a 20 minute commercial to sell a robot toy, and had many fights with tomino over the series design, also because at first it was a "box office bomb"
but what we have here with delta (and seven) is different
is like having a dragonball z2 that is a shoujo
a dragonball z3 that continues the story as a crude horror
and a dragonball z4 that ends the saga as a proxy battle card game anime
macross in the 1982 was a sci fi anime, and pretty realistic
now we have an army and government that sends to battle underaged girls so they can sing and dance on the head of the enemy mecha, while my army mecha shoot at it
but no worries, as long that the girl sings, she can take a direct it or two
not to mention that in every new macross series, songs acquire new incredible powers that could change the world, but no one seem remember the powers they had in the previous series
is not a different timeline like gundam wing and gundam x, they are in the same continuity as the first macross?
yeah sure
then in the next macross what i will see?
a cluster missile that delivers 100 poke balls to the target?
Haha, well this whole air around the power of music is a theme that's been gaining popularity through the development of the music industry of japan (which is one of the largest in the world mind you) and settles in the subconscious op the people. See, how japan's marketing works, is they sell emotions and ideas that spark emotions, instead of product. Sensational meta-ideas like the power of music are motivating and makes everything feel bigger and more important.
Some series end and get revived as something to squeeze some money, that happens. But this case isn't any different from Macross F, it follows the pattern and puts a similar amount of shift to the trends.

This evolution on the power of song from the previous is not unrealistic. We already had the "science" of the song (Spoiler)travlling through the fold to connect to the Vajra, and it's only reasonable to assume further study went into it to find out ways to make use of it, thus making fold song power more commonplace and able to do more things, as more was discovered in study. It follows the trend, but also is true to what Macross has always kinda been doing anyways. It evolved from figurative motivational power to literal power gradually.

As far as realism, Space Battleship Yamato is the only remotely realistic japanese sci-fi series i've seen to date, but even it uses loads of pseudoscience like dimensional stuff and focusing hawking radiation. I highly doubt that it's been close to that. You gotta know a lot about physics to judge realism ^^;

I don't define myself as an otaku, because that undermines the very interest in the culture. "Otaku" is the japanese equivalent of what we call "weeaboo". I, personally am an educated akiba-kei who's watched a lot of the sociology of that's actually going on in japan and around the akihabara media. I adore the sub-culture and how it's rapidly leaving it's nest, and learn all i can of it with the least biases going in as possible, aside from my own appreciation of it.

Ps: under-aged or not is irrelevant, and who gets to define under-aged in a space civilization invented in a country not yours? Cuteness is the meta-trend today, along with power of music. Inevitable result: nubile girls singing and dancing.
GenesisAriaMar 16, 2016 7:21 AM

Mar 16, 2016 8:09 AM

Jan 2016
I watched Yamato probably before you were born, i still love it but i stopped to call it "realistic" when i hit my teens

I studied phyisics for some time, and i dont judge anime realism by its superscience
Is more absurd to see the scrap of a 200 years old battleship rebuilded into a super starship that alone destroys fleets of enemy starships
Not to mention that yamato housed space fighters and spare parts 10 times larger than her hull
Mar 16, 2016 11:25 AM

Dec 2009
ZeroG said:
I watched Yamato probably before you were born, i still love it but i stopped to call it "realistic" when i hit my teens

I studied phyisics for some time, and i dont judge anime realism by its superscience
Is more absurd to see the scrap of a 200 years old battleship rebuilded into a super starship that alone destroys fleets of enemy starships
Not to mention that yamato housed space fighters and spare parts 10 times larger than her hull
-shrugs- it was quaint. Yamato was japan's pride and it got hammered before it saw any action, so it excites imaginations. It's not realistic to say the least, but compared to other sci-fi anime... i watched the 2199 version, and it's science and presentation as well as the demonstration of tactics&strategy were fantastic.
Ps: Yamato is the first televised fiction i've ever seen mention birkeland currents.
GenesisAriaMar 16, 2016 11:28 AM

Mar 16, 2016 11:42 AM

Jan 2016
the first anime i can remember was Mazinger Z, i love it, and dont care if people says is old and outdated ^_^
Mar 20, 2016 1:44 AM

Oct 2007
piau9000 said:
For the ones that don't understand why everyone is salty, just imagine your favorite romance/drama/sol series.
Now imagine that little by little they began to insert some themes like "boy with spike hair fighting another boy with spike hair".
Now out of nowhere it change completly and the drama/sol/romance is just 9% of the anime while the remaining 89% focus on a "weird dude that grows spike hair out of his ass to fight a green alien with purple spiky wings".
Then all subsequent installments of the series is about this with almost no romance or drama at all.

What a ride right?
This is what the old fans are feeling right now.

Honestly the industry has been taking a gigantic shit on everything I used to hold dear and like about it for at least 7-10 years, hardly surprised anymore. Granted the first episode wasn't nearly as bad as I expected and actually had more aspects that reminded me it was supposed to be related to Macross.
Mar 28, 2016 7:38 AM
Jul 2009
I actually really enjoyed this episode, and am very much looking forward to the rest of the season. I LOVED Macross F, and contrary to everyone else who has posted, I find this series has a lot of potential to be as good as its immediate predecessor. I did notice that it seems to bear a significant amount of similarities to the AKB0048 anime series, which I do not mind at all.
Mar 31, 2016 10:51 AM
May 2011
It's amazing how all the oldtaku are complaining. Macross has always been about three things, a love triangle, dogfights, and music. Every series keeps upping the ridiculousness of each element.

But it seems that all of you old men ignored 14 minutes of the episode just to complain about the 5 minutes that Walkure was on screen.

We had an awesome dogfight with good choreography, we have Walkure doing things other than being idols in their first appearance, and most importantly we have Max and Millia's Granddaughter.

Too bad all you old men don't want to accept that it's pure Macross, just concentrated.
Apr 3, 2016 7:28 AM
Dec 2011
Damn the full version make me hyped.
Apr 3, 2016 8:39 AM

Nov 2008
The full version ended on a great note, Hayate has some footwork, it makes for a damn unique piloting technique although it did end with him getting shot down.

Apr 3, 2016 9:25 AM

Feb 2008
Yeah seem like full version cover some scenes and places that weren't in SP version.

That pilot "dancing skills" this were much better than SP . He seem like he really enjoy dancing. ^^
BlackbirdApr 3, 2016 9:53 AM

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Apr 3, 2016 10:37 AM
May 2011
Its Macross alright.

The silly parts, well, the original Macross had plenty of silly things. In fact, I'd question if its really Macross without the silly things.

And skimming through your posts, you guys with your complains missed everything.

Underaged idols? Oh please, Mylene was 14, and she had a driving license and flew a military machine better than some of the proper pilots in Macross 7.
Mahou shoujo? Please, hologram technology has existed since DYRL. Frontier introduced hologram suits, if you're wondering.
Sending idols into battle? Please, if you actually pay attention you do realise that they have shield drones with them and they are very clearly trained.

Powers from previous series? How would culture shock work against people with space rabies? Basara is about the only one who can utilise song energy things effectively and he's eccentric as hell, most probably singing to space whales or something somewhere. How would fold wave communication work against space rabies again?

And if you actually paid more attention, they aren't trying to kill the zentradi there, they were calming them down. Killing is a quick way to remove them, but its not necessary.
Apr 3, 2016 10:43 AM

May 2013
watch last four minutes episode.
Hayate is really good riding mecha huh.
Apr 3, 2016 1:13 PM

Oct 2010
Uryaaaaa!!!

Fucking MC, just like Alto, yelling like a madman in his cockpit. I know it's a common trait in characters that are in mecha machines but when you watch a lot of those kinds of anime, it got annoying. You know 80' and 90's didn't have that much. And still no opening, really curious to see it in the next episode.

In all honesty, I wanted to praise the previous episode where the battle excluded the immediate involvement of the main male character. But they had this in their sleeve. And what a surprise, he is a freaking ace in it and can dance. So Alto picks up Ranka, evades the attacks while Ozma checks him out from afar. Yeah, pretty much same scene recreated. I thought that scene in Frontier was homage for original Macross, why repeat it here again?

Alright episode overall, but still feels like I'm watching Mahou Shoujo anime with mecha inserted. People defend it with ''But Macross was always about supernatural and music!'' Yeah, but it had a touch of realism more then it had fantasy. This really amp it up to another level and still can't get used to it. Aquarion Evol effects thrown in right of the bat didn't help ether. Let's see how other episodes hold up.
Apr 3, 2016 1:47 PM

Dec 2007
piau9000 said:
For the ones that don't understand why everyone is salty, just imagine your favorite romance/drama/sol series.
Now imagine that little by little they began to insert some themes like "boy with spike hair fighting another boy with spike hair".
Now out of nowhere it change completly and the drama/sol/romance is just 9% of the anime while the remaining 89% focus on a "weird dude that grows spike hair out of his ass to fight a green alien with purple spiky wings".
Then all subsequent installments of the series is about this with almost no romance or drama at all.

What a ride right?
This is what the old fans are feeling right now.

This is what ended up happening with Mahou Sensei Negima. And Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha.

And it was the BEST. THING. EVER. for both of those series. So yes, "what a ride" indeed.
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
Apr 3, 2016 1:57 PM

Mar 2016
I pretty disappointed by Delta. I was so hyped and and then, I was let down by a macross version of Smile Precure. ( Yes, I know that idol group is a trend in japan right now but that does not mean you have to follow it). OH yeah fking magical girl transformation made me wonder if I was watching Sailor Moon or Macross. Fuck me...

The could do a much better job with character design. The guy looks like a fking girl and get wrecked by a girl. Freya looks like a dometic cat that went into the wilderness. Mirage is the typical strict to the code girl. Mikumo is like Sheryl 2.0... I don't even mention the rest... Why the characters must be so fking cliché?

The new Valkyrie VF-31 is merely a VF-30 with some new wings design and arm cannons. What? That's it? You don't even want to change the head design a little bit???
Where's the originality of the original VF-1 and the VF-19?

The first Macross that I watched was Macross 7 and the rock music was really nice coupled with meaningful lyrics. Macross really show what music is trending and I must say: I'm fking not impressed with idol groups because from what I understand, you're using numbers + "cuteness" to make up for the mediocre music + lyrics. The songs were horrible in Delta and I hope like M7, they get better near the end like Holy lonely night and Try again or in the OVA, Dynamite Explosion.

I personally am not too bothered by the use of CGI but please, BRING BACK THOSE AWESOME MANEUVERS from Macross Zero or those mad dodging skills that Basara has cuz fuck me, those VF-31 fly like normal-high skill level not like the other ones who were almost like dancing in the sky.

As it is now, 3-4 out of 10. Might stick around if there's something awesome to see.
Apr 3, 2016 2:39 PM

Feb 2014
I kinda liked it, so I'm looking forward to it~
Apr 3, 2016 6:22 PM

Jul 2010
What a letdown, this did not feel like Macross and sure there is only one episode out but none of the characters grabbed my interest and Freya was just annoying, only interested in the space elf girl

But guess I'll watch the next ep anyways since I'm a masochist.
Apr 3, 2016 7:26 PM
Nov 2015
From what this episode shows us it seems this rendition of macross is blending singing with actual combat, which I find to be cool as fuck. As long as the songs are all as good as the one during this episdoe's combat scene which was top.
Apr 3, 2016 7:31 PM

Jun 2009
Idk abt the others but I feel like I'm gonna enjoy the hell outta this anime.

Apr 3, 2016 8:02 PM
Dec 2011
Hmmm...I can't decide how I feel. Macross has been the anime closest to my heart since I was a kid. I enjoyed all of them with M7 by far being my least favorite. Though since it was targeted at a younger audience I can give it a pass.

Like some I think it feels much like AKB 0048 with Valkyrie's. Which isn't totally a bad thing. But I always felt it worked because going into it you expected it to be a little silly. I mean it's a sci-fi action show about idols. But you could say the same for Macross. The difference for me is Macross has history. Yea the premise of songs affecting aliens so greatly is silly at the heart of it, but I always felt that it just worked. There was a reason for the singing battles. It had an impact on the battle and/or story.

With Delta it just feels odd. I mean are they physically fighting or are they suppose to be affecting the virus through fold waves. They looked like they were kinda doing both? But then you had the "Delta Squad" and they seemed to be doing the brunt of the fighting. With the Walküre girls singing a sound track to the fighting. Yea I guess eventually their singing stopped the zentradi from rampaging, but it seemed to be only effective while they were singing. Then you add other enemies who appear human or something regardless singing would appear not to affect them in essence making the singing pointless.

With M7 you had idiot Basara flying all over the place screaming "Listen to my song!" like a jack ass. But at least he was in a Valkyrie and he would sing. Yea others were fighting around him but as far as he was concerned all you needed was song. He never asked for the militaries help because he is a singing idiot. I mean this is the genius that kept trying to move a mountain through song.

I liked the 1st episode well enough, but I'll have to see where this leads. Then there is the whole other song that seems to be causing the outbreaks. Not to mention there looks to be at least 5 girls in the Walküre's assuming Freyja joins. I hope that isn't alluding to some Harem. I wouldn't think so but I'm not sure how the love triangle is going to play out. Freyja and the pilot the one that is Max's granddaughter I guess (I don't think she was 1 of his daughters) seems the likely choice judging by the pictures. If so I will probably have to jump on the Jenius bandwagon due to heritage (love Milia). I guess I'll just have to wait and see before I can compare it against the other entries in the series.
dobbsApr 3, 2016 8:36 PM
Apr 3, 2016 8:21 PM

Mar 2008
This could be pretty fabulous. Digging the song at the end there.

It looks a little messy with all the busy effects and vary character art, but I think they did a great job mixing the battle and 'concert' action together into a long exciting sequence.

The 'middle eastern' culture of the colony and the Var syndrome's obvious terrorist insurgency parallels might make for some interesting discussions.

And as always, nice to see legacy fans getting roughed up.
CkanApr 3, 2016 8:25 PM
Apr 3, 2016 8:30 PM
Apr 2016
I'm going to vote I a dislike for this one.

Not because the story was bad, but the preview episode 00 went over the entire episode 01. I was hoping for a bit more than 2 minutes of new and expended content. So hopefully episode 02 will be a much more enjoyable experience.

If this was voting on Episode 00 I'd have given it a 3.5/5. Been watching Macross since VHS >_>
Apr 3, 2016 8:33 PM

Jan 2014
IT WASN'T THAT BAD.
The ending song grows gdi.

And the break-dancing mecha scene. I'm sold, for now, until the main girl starts singing.
You will soon learn that a heart that choose to exist, even in a life filled with pain, will one day allow us to meet again.
With the world's blessings, we will meet again and again, forever returning to the homeworld we've yet to see.
Many, many times.

Apr 3, 2016 9:36 PM

Feb 2009
So I suppose Freyja is Minmay/Ranka and elf girl is Misa/Sheryl, aka my to-be-fav, then.

This was stupid af but Macross always kinda is. Just a little more stupid than usual.
Apr 3, 2016 10:16 PM
Jan 2014
Really hope they talk about what happened to everyone after Frontier. Or at least make a passing reference/mention of it at some point.
Apr 3, 2016 10:45 PM
Nov 2010
Pretty disappointed myself as well. It is a special though so hopefully the tone isn't AKB048 but pretty sure it will be. I personally dislike making the singer involved in combat like AKB048- that and it definitely felt like magical girls to me as well. I don't know how you could say they're the same as the previous series. Wearing holographic costumes for the futuristic concert stage is totally different than spending 10 seconds throwing sparkles everywhere and ending with poses. If they took it out and just had them switch from regular clothes in one second with no ending pose the tone would be totally different.

The aerial combat scenes with the Valkyries were ok but the CG design of the aircraft felt like a step down, especially compared to Frontier and Plus- which were two of my favorites. Even with some of the intense missile and dogfight scenes if they had just cut down on the characters talking and focused on them flying it would've made it feel more top-gun-ish and less idol fighting-ish with dogfighting fighter spacecraft as a side note.

At the very least thought the whole idea of dancing in combat to dodge was pretty interesting and exciting to watch and the character designs were very pleasing to the eye. About the only part that made me smile was when the Zentradi said deculture.

But damn those transformations, idol combat and spacecraft design really seemed to take away from the first taste of the coming series.
Apr 3, 2016 10:48 PM

May 2010
That was so boring. Way too many characters and the main character does not get enough screentime.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Apr 4, 2016 12:26 AM
Feb 2015
Ahhhh Kawamori-san never ceases to amaze me with his work I'm freaking loving episode 1 already, this and Super Lovers are definitely gonna be the favorites for Spring ^^

I expect a lot of goodness from this show and I sense maybe a Love Triangle Between HayatexFrejya and HayatexMirage, might be wrong but Kawamori loves his love Triangles in his anime so I'm excited xD If I could rate this higher then a 10 I would but Mal doesn't allow it so a 10 it is..
NoNameNoName000Apr 4, 2016 8:55 PM
Apr 4, 2016 12:46 AM
Apr 2011
loved the first episode! pretty action packed and animation i thought was really good. the music was great so im hoping for more :)
Apr 4, 2016 1:29 AM

Jul 2007
Man some people are getting really butthurt about this series, even saw someone compare the CGI and claim it was worse than Frontier. I dunno if you actually remember, but when that first episode of frontier came out so many people were so angry with the CG saying how it was super jarring. To those people, I would suggest you go pull up the first episode of Macross Frontier and you'll quickly realize that the show really has aged poorly.

To the people complaining that it sounds like generic J-Pop - it's mostly a pity since Frontier had Yoko Kanno on it, who was able to create the space-epic music that was fairly unique to Frontier. The music in Delta is by no means bad, but of course it'll sound generic compared to Frontier. For now I'm satisfying myself with May'n / Kanno Yoko tracks from Aquarion Logos.

On a different note, damn the last Macross really did come out a while ago, it's been 8 years lol. Almost around the time I first started using MAL lol
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 4, 2016 1:36 AM
Jan 2013
I'm fuckin sold!!!
Goddamn, the character design was Striking, yet Believeable. Those hair, i like them!!
Those idol group is too OP! evading laser bullet and shit!!
well, gonna watch this shit!
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Movie vs TV Series

Reshiram_IX - Jan 16, 2023

9 by donnascherer »»
Mar 16, 4:21 AM

Poll: » Macross Δ Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2016

246 by AdrianShephardt »»
Mar 7, 2023 9:01 AM

Poll: » Macross Δ Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2016

35 by SilverCrono »»
Oct 17, 2022 9:10 AM

» Macross Delta underrated? ( 1 2 )

SaltyShoebill - Apr 26, 2016

66 by procion »»
Aug 31, 2022 12:51 AM

» Would this be appealing to someone who watched Macross Frontier only and loved it?

kUshPandA_ENJOi - Oct 9, 2017

7 by procion »»
Aug 31, 2022 12:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.