Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 31, 2015 1:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm, so it looks like the special debuted. It had some bits of review of the franchise but it did air actual footage from the episode.

The narrator had quite a bit of fun with this one.

The CG-like mecha were kinda odd and I'm not really sold on the song yet. It introduced the majority of the main girls and basic concepts. Okayish start so far. I did kinda like the song combined with the action in the second half for this episode.

"It's showtime!"

The main theme song is kinda catchy after hearing it for awhile. They played it in the last few minutes of the episode with the climatic battle Mikumo Guynemer is probably the most awesome idol of the group so far imo. Buccaneer is cool as well. Hope they develop the story well soon.
Stark700Dec 31, 2015 2:25 AM
Dec 31, 2015 1:37 AM

Jan 2010
I need to watch this like now lol
Dec 31, 2015 1:50 AM

Dec 2013
managed to catch it on a livestream without knowing anything about macross.

orange-haired girl is cute. i like the song too.
Dec 31, 2015 1:59 AM

Feb 2014
Hopefully subs don't take too long for this.
Dec 31, 2015 4:24 AM
Oct 2010
I just finished watching this raw. It gives my Symphogear vibe ._. Not sure what to think of it yet compare to previews franchise :3
Dec 31, 2015 4:29 AM
Dec 2011
So according cast list the main 3 are Hayate, Freyja, Mirage.
Alright, that's not bad.

And wow, AKB0048 2.0 mixed some Symphogear style lol.
Dec 31, 2015 4:50 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
As the first person posting here who is an actual old school Macross fan, I have to say I'm disappointed. I think Kawamori is gone full George Lucas, instead that his Jar Jar Binks are friggin magical girls. Yeah, Macross was always more lighthearted than Gundam, but making your idols into magical girls is jumping the shark in my opinion. This was just a special. Let's see how the rest of the show develops. I hope they tone down the magical girl garbage,
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 31, 2015 6:54 AM

Sep 2009
Farabeuf said:
As the first person posting here who is an actual old school Macross fan, I have to say I'm disappointed. I think Kawamori is gone full George Lucas, instead that his Jar Jar Binks are friggin magical girls. Yeah, Macross was always more lighthearted than Gundam, but making your idols into magical girls is jumping the shark in my opinion. This was just a special. Let's see how the rest of the show develops. I hope they tone down the magical girl garbage,

As another person who watched all the franchise I'll say that you are saying nonsense. It's not crazier than Macross 7 or SDF with all this music affection. And they are not magical girls. Transformation costumes were in Macross F, and nothing special with them using drones for fighting IMHO.
Dec 31, 2015 7:02 AM

Nov 2013
[quote=Nachtwandler_21]
Farabeuf said:

"Magical girls"? Don't you mean singers?
As the person above me said, they had transformation costumes in Macross F, and there's nothing special with them, they're just for show, can't be dull right?
Dec 31, 2015 7:21 AM

Nov 2008
Sweet Jesus wtf did I just watch before the real battle? The music was exceptional but magical idols powerful enough to block missiles and lasers was not what I was expecting from a Macross installment. I'm like why? They on their variable fighters, at least they could battle normally after purifying the infected Zentradi soldiers.

Freyja is all in it despite being a battle at the end, very reckless. Makina is super adorable.

Another wtf thing I noticed, nail art transmitters.

Not bad though, I'll watch this but I expect the idols to also battle normally or I'll have some disappointment.

Dec 31, 2015 10:53 AM

Mar 2013
Kawamori is such a troll, I love it.
Dec 31, 2015 11:04 AM

Oct 2008
Nachtwandler_21 said:
Farabeuf said:

As another person who watched all the franchise I'll say that you are saying nonsense. It's not crazier than Macross 7 or SDF with all this music affection. And they are not magical girls. Transformation costumes were in Macross F, and nothing special with them using drones for fighting IMHO.

There's a reason why Macross 7 is considered by most the absolute worst in the entire franchise tho...
Dec 31, 2015 12:00 PM

Feb 2008
No wonder it's looks like a mix of AKB0048 seem like it from same studio.
It's really look similar so funny, interesting.

Idol that protect universe, when they all got healed by singing.
BlackbirdDec 31, 2015 12:04 PM

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Dec 31, 2015 1:44 PM
Jul 2015
This was weird, lets see how the next episodes will be like

and LMAO and Voice actor credit

Dec 31, 2015 2:54 PM

Jan 2010
D-Joe said:
So according cast list the main 3 are Hayate, Freyja, Mirage.
Alright, that's not bad.

And wow, AKB0048 2.0 mixed some Symphogear style lol.

I am kind of ok with that lol, i really enjoyed AKB048 for the most part except for the crap open ended final. I should be used to stuff like that from watching Macross.

The raw was a fun watch, hopefully they clean up the 3d and raise the texture quality for the 1.0 tv release.
Dec 31, 2015 2:57 PM

Jan 2010
I don't think i can say what it will be as an entry in to the Macross franchise (yes i have watched all the others)

We will have to wait and see.

God i hope it is better than what kawamori did with the last entry in to the Aquarion franchise, he freakin sunk that ship.
Dec 31, 2015 5:46 PM

Sep 2015
Fun enough to watch. Loving the song from the very end battle, catchy ^^ Also, the freaky stuff happening quite early, on ep 1 (0.89?). I wonder if the main guy's pendant is from the same stone as Sheryl's.

Also, since I'm newish to Macross (only watched Frontier)... Do all series always follow the same setup though? An aspiring girl meeting ordinary guy (by ordinary I mean not part of military), said girl is huge fan of a popular singer (the last person to complete the triangle). Kinda fun because when I watched I called the characters Ranka, Alto and Sheryl since I can't catch the name clearly.
Dec 31, 2015 10:49 PM

Dec 2008
well I was expecting more from it and not some sort of power up girls, I will have to agree with others it seems like a mix of AKB0048 with something else.

I honestly don't know what to think or expect from it at this point so guess will keep watching and see how it turns out, but from the looks I doubt we will be seeing anything as good as what F was.
namedriskJan 1, 2016 10:43 AM
Dec 31, 2015 11:00 PM

Jun 2009
i fucking loved it, mecha is back (sure this is a bit moe flamboyant then before) though who cares it was fun and entertianitng and i also got iron bloor orphans i could not be any happier
Dec 31, 2015 11:10 PM

Dec 2008
Motherurck said:
Macross 7 had no love interest as far as I could see. The MC just cared about music for the most part. He sucked ass.

And they fought by them self with their own machines, this only changed on F.

Even tough Basara didn't care for fighting he only wanted his music to reach out "dat world peace"...
namedriskDec 31, 2015 11:12 PM
Dec 31, 2015 11:57 PM

Sep 2010
Motherurck said:
Ioryogi-kun said:
Fun enough to watch. Loving the song from the very end battle, catchy ^^ Also, the freaky stuff happening quite early, on ep 1 (0.89?). I wonder if the main guy's pendant is from the same stone as Sheryl's.

Also, since I'm newish to Macross (only watched Frontier)... Do all series always follow the same setup though? An aspiring girl meeting ordinary guy (by ordinary I mean not part of military), said girl is huge fan of a popular singer (the last person to complete the triangle). Kinda fun because when I watched I called the characters Ranka, Alto and Sheryl since I can't catch the name clearly.

Err no. The original Macross had 2 girls and a guy. First girl was your girl next door turned pop singer by the end. Second girl was military. Guy was stunt pilot turned military.

Macross Plus had 2 guys fighting over one girl. Both guys were pilots and all 3 were childhood friends.

Macross 7 had no love interest as far as I could see. The MC just cared about music for the most part. He sucked ass.

And you know Frontier.

You forgot Macross Zero, two sisters and a pilot. The younger sister, Mao Nome, eventually marries someone else and becomes Sheryl's grandmother.

While Basara didn't care for anyone, the main triangle in Macross 7 was between him, Mylenne and Gamlin.
Jan 1, 2016 2:32 AM

Apr 2014
the cgi looks a lot worse than m.frontier :/
Jan 1, 2016 3:02 AM

Jan 2009
looks good, var syndrome though
Jan 1, 2016 3:13 AM

Jun 2013
Visuals are a step down from frontier, especially the CG. Battle choreography was bad, at least during the fight on the surface. Jarring frame drops during otherwise smoothly animated sequences. Song is generic j-pop. Feels super magical-girly, and not just the transformation sequences either.

I'll watch it because it has Macross in the name, but initial impressions have left me wishing it did not.
Jan 1, 2016 3:18 AM

Dec 2013
This did not feel like Macross, it felt more like some Idol Project stuff.... nnot sure I liked all the colorful chaos.... but I'll give it a few more episodes before deciding what to do.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jan 1, 2016 3:28 AM

Jul 2007
Decent start. Violet/Pink hair girl already best grill by design alone. A lot more performance heavy than previous series but I guess they are trying to draw up and benefit from Fire Emblem X SMT(which also uses the idea of music/singers being used in a fight or powering things) release.

Hoppy said:
Sweet Jesus wtf did I just watch before the real battle? The music was exceptional but magical idols powerful enough to block missiles and lasers was not what I was expecting from a Macross installment. I'm like why? They on their variable fighters, at least they could battle normally after purifying the infected Zentradi soldiers.

You do realize you are watching a franchise where mechas fight aliens with the power of music, right?
AhenshihaelJan 1, 2016 3:39 AM
Jan 1, 2016 4:23 AM

Jun 2013
i hope the CG gets better
Jan 1, 2016 5:40 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009

Did we even watch the same show? LOL They were clearly stopping weapons from the opposition and having full on transformation sequences during battle.

Yes Macross has had crazy, zany, campy stuff before, but magical girls is a step too far in my opinion. There was lot less emphasis on the Valkyries this time around. Of course, that can change during the course of the series. Just my 2 cents.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 1, 2016 6:00 AM

Sep 2011
How to troll people 101. This was the PV and the official airing for the TV version is in the spring. (At least that's what the subs said).

Was okay though despite the weird magical girl stuff.
Jan 1, 2016 6:18 AM
Jun 2014
really good episode..
hopefully they dont too busy with idol pandering than story

Jan 1, 2016 6:20 AM

Sep 2013
Oooh, I feel like every mainline Macross they are going further with the idols. While I certainly kind of would miss the good old fighter action, I can't deny the bright coloured idol action was entertaining. The orange haired girl was pretty moe and the main dude seems like the classic "I've lost the will to live" Slice of Life guy we see in anime all the time.

The preview was pretty much what I expected from the first PVs and key visuals -- Macross heavily mixed with AKB0048. Hopefully they balance it out with a little more classic Macross mecha stuff later on though, like Frontier did. If this is a sign of things to come, it will be a rather silly show to watch for sure. I kind of wish it'd toned down a bit on the "craziness", Frontier did it just right imo. It's as if Kawamori can't get out of the AKB0048 hole he's fallen into
cupcJan 1, 2016 6:26 AM
Jan 1, 2016 6:27 AM

Aug 2008
It was atrocious. I wasn't expecting anything good seeing what happened with Kawamori in Aquarion and that off-putting male design on key illustration but it was even worse. I can't count how many times I've yelled "bullshit" and "can't take it, too cheesy" in my head during the course of this episode. I was actually checking how much of the episode was left because I wanted it to stop already. When it comes to Macross, it happened only while watching M7.

I was afraid it will be like M7 but holly crap, I guess I forgot how back this franchise can get. First Macross was amusing, Plus and Zero were good, DYRL was great, even F was really enjoyable despite some of its shortcomings but this... it will be Comet Lucifer of Spring season.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jan 1, 2016 8:19 AM

Jun 2008
I just want to know the name of the song at the end. It's catchy.
Jan 1, 2016 8:20 AM
Apr 2013
A terrible first episode. Since Macross 7 the series has lost its way, becoming just a vehicle for pop music and disregarding the story to a secondary role. The "evil"music is very opera like, so maybe the vajra is the universe's way to say that their taste in music sucks.
Jan 1, 2016 8:23 AM

May 2012
uhhg and it ends on a cliffhanger... lol
Jan 1, 2016 8:27 AM

Nov 2008
Fai said:
Decent start. Violet/Pink hair girl already best grill by design alone. A lot more performance heavy than previous series but I guess they are trying to draw up and benefit from Fire Emblem X SMT(which also uses the idea of music/singers being used in a fight or powering things) release.

Hoppy said:

You do realize you are watching a franchise where mechas fight aliens with the power of music, right?

Yes, but you do realize this is going a bit overboard.

Jan 1, 2016 8:28 AM

Sep 2015
The eng sub was actually very bad lol.

Really you guys just exaggerate, saying senki symphogear here symphogear there. Did you guys not watch previous many macross series? i mean attire changing, battlefield, song and plane robot are so normal in macross.
valvravetruthJan 1, 2016 8:49 AM
Jan 1, 2016 10:05 AM

Apr 2013
went a little overboard by making the idols freaking magical girls but enjoyed it.

music was pretty good. walkure songs are catchy and ost is pretty good too

action scenes were good wouldn't mind some more macross zero level dogfights though

looking forward to it
xSanoxJan 1, 2016 10:16 AM
Jan 1, 2016 10:20 AM

Mar 2012
i'm not bothered by the magical girl idols but that cgi is just a no no

nothing really special so far but nothing unwatchable neither
Jan 1, 2016 10:37 AM
Aug 2015
In English
This moment when Macross meet Idolm@aster...
The first episode was... great; the first half introduce the characters (i love Freyja) and conflict, but the second half... with the transformations...

Español
Ese momento en que se cruza Macross con Idolm@aster...
La primera mitas estuvo... bien; la presentacion de los personajes (Freyja <3 ) y el conflicto, pero la segunda mitad... con las transfomaciones
Jan 1, 2016 11:03 AM

May 2010
Looks like this is going to be very different from Macross Frontier. So far, it looks way worse than Frontier. It's more like magical idol-girls with mechs. Frontier was somehow better balanced, songs were like weapons but they didn't rely on them alone. They also had to use normal weapons but here it looks like everything can be won by songs alone. Also, I'm one of those who also consider Macross 7 to be horrible. Hope that at least it doesn't turn that bad.
Jan 1, 2016 11:17 AM

Nov 2009
Really looking forward to this.

* Hyped
Jan 1, 2016 11:23 AM

Dec 2013
This episode was surprisingly pretty good. I wasn't too keen on the whole idol group/magical girl angle they're trying to spin, but i'm willing to give it a pass considering that's it's merely a product of it's time, and this idol group stuff is what's hot in Japan right now. As long as they aren't trying to fight against valkyries with their powers then I don't have an issue.

On the subject of fights, I thought the dogfights were pretty decent. Wish there was a little more of that though. I'm also curious of how Hayate will inevitably find himself in the cockpit of one of the fighters.

Lastly (and probably most importantly), I'm sincerely hoping that the aspiring musician/singer doesn't get the shaft in the romance department, yet again.....
Kuro_YuukiJan 1, 2016 2:32 PM
Matsuoka Yoshitsugu has hardly any range as a voice actor, and is grossly over-cast.

Yeah. I said it.
Jan 1, 2016 11:52 AM

Nov 2012
this was not bad
i'm not so keen on the CGI though :/
Jan 1, 2016 12:23 PM

Apr 2010
As a fan of Macross series, I have to say that I'm a little disapointed.

CGI and combat are part of Macross series now and I like that, The idol who sing music with an effect on other race, okay. even Macross 7 justify that with weapon who boost/give subtance to music, but in M Delta...its just a litlte bullshit.

Seriously, Why magical girls ? Why "magical" weapon who can block shoot, can be "mind controled".....plus Magical girls who "fly", make big jump, go on battlefield like its normal, dont fear missile (well with her weapon i can understand that)....Its just not macross anymore.
You remove the Valykrie and Its not a Macross anymore.
The part when the song remove the "mind control" is typical macross, the air fight too, but the magical girls fight is just too much. With their power, we can even wonder the purpose of Valkyrie (they dont really seem to need it, At last the main Singer).

Well its a preview, but I fear for the rest of the serie.
Jan 1, 2016 1:15 PM

Jan 2010
I was barfing the whole time. Male characters with hair accessories and some random idol stuff, just no. They should just adapt Macross The First manga.
(|__/) Never give up, aim for the top!
(='.'=) Top wo nerae!
o(")(") Anime music: http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=777199
Jan 1, 2016 1:21 PM

Jan 2013
Pretty bad. Not going to bother with any more of this.
Jan 1, 2016 1:49 PM

Apr 2013
Reminds me of the prequel Macross F. That series made me really uncomfortable and would often times piss me off because of the main male protagonist... he looks like a fking woman with that long ass hair. By that I mean... he looked freaking hideous, and there just isn't any excuse that i could think of for having such an appearance. If your gonna give a guy long-hair, don't make him look like he's cross-dressing with a really cheap wig.

This sequel looks like a cheap rip-off, half-assed series where they just shoved in some idol story and then smeared a bunch of hair accessories and whatnot to their characters to give a 'Macross F' type originality. Sorry, I don't follow the original Macross manga and have only watched their anime series but this was just so pathetic. I'm getting a similar vibe from the male characters... They look like they want to make a fashion statement.

I can't tell if the males are trying to dress up like girls, if they are hybrid fashions of female and male... whatever it is that's going on... i get a creeped up about it whenever i stop to think about it. Basically the character designs are creepy as fuck and yet at the same time, I feel the sudden urge to punch my screen when i watch both Macross F and Macross Delta whenever i look at the main male protagonist just because they look so fucking ridiculous as a main character. It's very hard to watch a series that continually pisses you off from just character designs. I only managed through Macross F after 3 attempts in the span of a few years.
duderusJan 1, 2016 2:05 PM

Jan 1, 2016 2:10 PM

Jun 2013
They are so obviously trying to cash in to the whole idol craze going on in Japan. And yes I have seen other Macross series, but this is different. You can't deny this is wayyyy more idol than before.

At least the song is good if you listen to it enough times.

Jan 1, 2016 2:44 PM

Apr 2012
This is my first exposure to the franchise.
I loved it.
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Movie vs TV Series

Reshiram_IX - Jan 16, 2023

9 by donnascherer »»
Mar 16, 4:21 AM

Poll: » Macross Δ Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2016

246 by AdrianShephardt »»
Mar 7, 2023 9:01 AM

Poll: » Macross Δ Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2016

35 by SilverCrono »»
Oct 17, 2022 9:10 AM

» Macross Delta underrated? ( 1 2 )

SaltyShoebill - Apr 26, 2016

66 by procion »»
Aug 31, 2022 12:51 AM

» Would this be appealing to someone who watched Macross Frontier only and loved it?

kUshPandA_ENJOi - Oct 9, 2017

7 by procion »»
Aug 31, 2022 12:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.