Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 17, 2015 11:15 AM

Jul 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

Wake Up, Girls! Seishun no Kage opens straight after the end of the TV series. Bvex Entertainment picks up the group up for a major debut with "7 Girls War". Everything goes well, but their second single "Sugao de Kiss Me" ends up a flop after Hayasaka declined to write the song. Just when the girls seem to be reaching a dead end, Hayasaka challenges them to enter the Festival of Idols again with a new song, "Shoujo Koukyoukyoku".

On the sidelines, we get a hint as to why Tange might have run off with Green Leaves' company money in the beginning of the TV series. We also find out that she and I-1 producer Shiraki are have a history with a former idol group called Saint 40, which Tange seems to have been a member of.

Bvex Entertainment is an obvious pun of Avex Entertainment, WUG!'s actual record company in real life. They also make obvious references to Avex's pool of talent. Miyu mentions idol groups Cheeky Cheeky Party and Super Cats during her dance lessons, referring to Cheeky Parade and SUPER☆GiRLS. Avex is pretty well known for its Artist Academy with courses focused on developing new talent. The TV celebrity that WUG! appeared with was obviously modeled after Ijiri Okada.

I was surprised at how fast the plot moved. The movie opens in January, but it was already around May or June by the end of the 50-minute movie. It's a good depiction of the challenges local idol groups may face when they try to make it big in Tokyo. Most idol groups just never succeed beyond a few singles if they don't get traction. It's self-descriptive of the situation of the current idol boom in Japan.
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Oct 18, 2015 7:52 PM

Sep 2012
I enjoyed it though as I much preferred Sugao de Kiss Me to Shoujo Koukyoukyoku, I found it a bit strange to have to think that Sugao was a flop.

Looking forward to Beyond the Bottom though from current sales I hope we see more of WUG after this.
Oct 26, 2015 8:06 PM

Mar 2013
This is a great movie. I love WuG for their dark side of the idol business. I find myself zone out in many anime movie but this one was interesting from beginning to end. Already hype for the second movie.
Nov 28, 2015 8:06 PM

Nov 2013
WUG-Chan does not disappoint! Can't wait for Beyond the Bottom!!
Dec 30, 2015 1:45 AM

Dec 2015
A fun watch. Definitly my fav of the WuG movies.
Is it you...or me?
Mar 10, 2016 1:03 PM
Oct 2011
Four months passed already and nobody still has fansubbed this movie. Why?
May 23, 2016 5:18 PM
May 2015
this one needs some fansubbing love.. please anyone who's acquainted with a translator? I can help with timing or maybe chaptering or some simple TSing or whatever.. T^T
Oct 9, 2016 12:38 AM

Jul 2016
Geez.. With such young idols, they were supposed to give them cute songs and cute outfits. Can't believe they're supposed to be a big label.

That new song is pretty good. I wonder if I missed something, I still can't understand Hayasaka. Anyway, Beyond the Bottom should be good!
Oct 9, 2016 7:31 AM

Sep 2014
I can only ever give this film a 6. I enjoyed the story, and as always enjoyed WUG showing the realistic side of idols, but after the way they treated my favourite WUG song, I can't in my mind ever give this film any higher.

Sugao de Kiss Me is a brilliant damn song, and was a fresh feel for the group, whereas Shoujo Koukyoukyoku is just more of the same, its not a bad song, but Sugao should have been protected, at least. It would have made more sense to have maybe have the song sound a little different at first so that it didn't suit them, and then its tweaked so that it does suit them, and then it would lead to Hayasaka coming up to them with the offer.

Its a WUG song, so WHY IS THE FILM TRASHING IT? It made no sense whatsoever to me.

Apart from that, the film was enjoyable. It was nice to finally see it subbed. Now I just need to keep hoping someone subs the second film. (And hopefully Idol Memories, aswell)
Oct 9, 2016 8:21 AM

Jul 2016
Palea said:
I can only ever give this film a 6. I enjoyed the story, and as always enjoyed WUG showing the realistic side of idols, but after the way they treated my favourite WUG song, I can't in my mind ever give this film any higher.

Sugao de Kiss Me is a brilliant damn song, and was a fresh feel for the group, whereas Shoujo Koukyoukyoku is just more of the same, its not a bad song, but Sugao should have been protected, at least. It would have made more sense to have maybe have the song sound a little different at first so that it didn't suit them, and then its tweaked so that it does suit them, and then it would lead to Hayasaka coming up to them with the offer.

Its a WUG song, so WHY IS THE FILM TRASHING IT? It made no sense whatsoever to me.

Apart from that, the film was enjoyable. It was nice to finally see it subbed. Now I just need to keep hoping someone subs the second film. (And hopefully Idol Memories, aswell)

Checked that out. Really surprised. Must be very awkward for the group. I mean, they're the seiyuu themselves and they're trashing it themselves. Mind blown!
Oct 9, 2016 4:31 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Really liked this movie. WUGGIES are back.

I think the reason the 2nd song didn't do so well was because maybe it didn't suit them yet. Idk, the movie didn't really show much of the 2nd song, just the ending to the performance.

1-1 Club is the definition of corporate idol slaves. I do like the realistic aspect to the show as it makes the idol industry seem much more harsher.

Them die hard WUG fans, great to see them again. It would have been awesome if they traveled to Tokyo to support WUG, they could really use some support right now.

Oct 9, 2016 10:15 PM

Dec 2013
Just finished watching the fansubs.

I have to say with the material they put into this movie alone, I'm surprised that they didn't think to do a season 2 instead of a continuous stream of movies.

Love the drama amongst the girls and that happening at I-1. Also love that they're tying the plot in quite neatly with regards to character relationships and all that. I wasn't surprised that Junko had connections to Shiraki, nor that she'd been an idol of yesteryears herself.

Now all I'm hoping for is that they'll fansub the next few movies soon, because I love watching these girls coming back stronger. It's one of the best underdog stories I've seen in anime.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Oct 10, 2016 1:04 AM

May 2010
Shoujo Koukyoukyoku suits them better indeed (and I much prefer it. esp. the part before the choruses are great)

Very nice movie. Like the concept with how it shows light on various dark aspects of the industry. And more Miyu (and Kayo) was nice. 7.5/10
Oct 10, 2016 12:45 PM

Aug 2014
Such delightful animation, even during scenes like Mayu packing for Tokyo. WUG has been my favorite Idol series and I hope they will continue. Impatiently waiting for that second part sub release.
Honoka is my Hero! Click Me!
Oct 11, 2016 10:52 AM

Apr 2013
This show is underrated. Sure the story is less stellar compared to Love Live or Idolmaster but the dance sequence tops both LL and im@s. Maybe it's because I'm not a fan of 3DCG at all.
REALITY IS A CRAPPY GAME

Oct 18, 2016 4:45 AM

Apr 2012
Finally was able to watch this.

I loved it, seeing these girls struggle it will feel great when they finally perform on stage and get the applause of the audience.

Also why did Yoppi cut her hair?
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Oct 28, 2016 1:36 AM
Oct 2012
Incredible movie. WUG always manages to get the realism of the idol world just right. Can't wait for movie 2's sub! Excited.

I wish WUG would have gotten bigger since it's a very well done (minus maybe some animation issues) take on idols compared to the hyper colorful counterparts it has as competition but I suppose that's just part of how the cookie crumbles.

WUG-chaaaan <3
Nov 14, 2016 4:28 PM
Jul 2018

This is something..

I enjoyed the movie as much as the TV series, WUG don't disappoint.
And Nanase looks so stylish with short hairstyle, nice surprise to me <3

Nov 22, 2016 12:00 PM

Aug 2013
The art... It was terrible :|
It was pretty painful to watch them at stadium performance. It is probably the worst feeling when you are performing and you don't hear any reaction from a huge audience.

BlackMalice said:
This show is underrated. Sure the story is less stellar compared to Love Live or Idolmaster but the dance sequence tops both LL and im@s. Maybe it's because I'm not a fan of 3DCG at all.

Where did you see 3DCG in Idolmaster? I didn't see any, Idolmaster looks great.
But yeah, performances in Love Live are worse then trash.
rsc-plNov 22, 2016 12:03 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Nov 28, 2016 3:55 AM

Dec 2010
Sugao de Kiss Me is probably my second favorite WUG song. What the hell? Why'd they just shit on it during the movie. I know they needed something for the plot, but it's hard to take seriously when that song is awesome.
Dec 5, 2016 5:08 AM

Jul 2015
Finally saw this movie with eng subs, and I have to agree with the rest that Kiss Me is a pretty good song. It really feels awkward having the film trash it though.

I guess this is acceptable in an 'alternate' universe where song popularity would be based on the composer

Anyways, Yoppi with her new hairstyle, I'm loving it!

Dec 15, 2016 4:38 AM

Dec 2014
Very good movie, Really enjoyed it.

Yoppi cut her hair!!! Why you do this Yoppi? No!!! T.T In all honestly that was the thing I was most sad about in this movie. XD

It was pretty sad to see WUG-chan rejected by Tokyo for their second song, Still I always love the die hard fans support them. Those guys deserve a medal.
I haven't listened to 'Kiss Me' completely as the movie didn't really show much of it but I guess in the context of the movie, It's was kinda of ill suited for them or whatever and I kinda felt the same way. I prefer their old style.

Loved the final part with the girls inspiring themselves to not give up and persevere through the industry. Was really nice to hear them sing Tachiagare and finally perform Shoujo Koukyoukyoku.

8/10 , Looking forward to Beyond the Bottom.

Ikuzo! Gambatte! Wake Up, Girls!
Dec 20, 2016 5:01 AM

Sep 2011
Finally finished watching this. Prequel movie, series, then this movie.

And I don't feel I wasted time watching.

The reason why I started watching this was because I saw a meme about those die-hard WUG-chan fans crying their hearts out.

And they're still the reason why I'll be watching more.
Dec 26, 2016 9:24 AM

Dec 2012
I haven't seen Wake Up Girls in over two years, yet this movie felt so refreshing. It's strange how a curious whim led to WUG becoming so endearing to me. The first season was good, but felt unpolished and didn't particularly stand out to me. After that, I started looking up images and stumbled into the collector cards. I followed that for a while and before I knew it, I felt like a cult follower of the girls. Really glad to see something as niche as WUG finally shining through and awakening more potential.

This felt like a huge step up from the first season. The girls are much more tight-knit than before and it was fun to watch their outing in Tokyo at the start. Also their little meetings in the hotels added a nice touch. Just so much more charming in general.

It was also very uncomfortable to watch as WUG tried to change its image to be marketable and fit the Tokyo status quo. None of it felt right and I hated seeing how they had to keep degrading themselves for such an earnest dream. That's why Girls' Symphony blew me away at the end. It's graceful yet commanding. Passionate yet upbeat. It has that same WUG feeling I know and love. Additionally, it really brought out the best of why I love idol anime. Mesmerizing choreography, beautiful songs, and a sincere pursuit of their dreams.

8/10, although Minami in the bath pretty much deserves a 10 by default. She's just too cute.
ZekkenshinDec 26, 2016 9:28 AM
Jan 30, 2017 3:34 PM

Jul 2014
Happy hump day for WUG, guess the record deal didn't work out and they were close to quitting. President used to be working for I-1's manager?! They go way back...

SUCH A CLIFFHANGER TEASE!

7/10
Oct 5, 2017 2:59 AM

Dec 2014
The production value on this was so high compared to the first movie and show. The movie itself felt a lot more like a setup than a stand-alone project. I didn't enjoy it as much but it was still fun to watch.

6/10
Oct 8, 2017 4:10 PM

Feb 2013
Yay! Wake Up, Girls!

But... why no performance of their 2nd single? :(
I'm supposed to take their word it didn't "fit"? :(
7/10 because it's WUG.

Onward to part 2 / movie 3!
Nov 1, 2017 11:01 AM

Oct 2012
Kotori_Sonoda said:
Also why did Yoppi cut her hair?

It was presumably because they were so similiar with Mayushi, she even commented it in the previous series.
But it was still nice surprise :) (although I'm kinda long hair fan)

Anyway, it was kinda nice movie (well, at least it's first half). Not as good as Shichinin no Idol but still good enough.

I wonder if they quit bvex now, partly hope so, that company is shit. And I wonder whether they ever try to write their own song also.. but seeing as this series is more set in the reality (it's no Love Live) I don't see this coming as it would be very unusual in music showbusiness.

I have always seen WUG as down to earth group that is very normal and human-like (as opposed to many other idol groups) and that's their main appeal. I hope they would stay true to this image although real world can be hard on them.
Let's see how the story continues...
Nov 28, 2017 12:11 AM
Nov 2010
Definitely a long hair fan as well. =( Ah well. The movie itself definitely was characteristic of WUG, showing the darkside with a comeback. I actually didn't know there were 2 other movies after the first one until I happened to come across a live performance promoting it (it had the movie clips in the background) xD

The change in production value sometimes was jarring for the facial expressions and even little animations like Mayu talking to her parents before heading to Tokyo was such a huge difference. Definitely enjoyed the dancing parts and random cute stuff in between but it did feel like they really dragged out the failure part. It was good to see them try to push themselves through all their failures upon coming to Tokyo making it big- and seeing some of Green Leave's backstory was really nice.

Really interested to see how it ends- so on to the next movie.
Sep 25, 2018 10:53 AM

Nov 2013
WTF with Yoppi's hair???? Fucking assholes! Why only her? You can't do fucking monk out of someone's favorite character!!!
Maybe that's because she had the same hairstyle as Shimada? Why don't cut fucking Shimada?! Eat dick, fuckers!!!!!!!!!!
May 25, 2019 9:39 PM

Oct 2015
Felt bad when things didn't work out for them and they had to start again.

7/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 7, 2019 8:34 AM
Sep 2017
The faces in this movie can get pretty hilarious.
Jun 13, 2021 11:31 AM

Feb 2020
Yoppi cut her hair. :( She still cute though, but I prefer long hair.

This wasn't as good as the first movie. I hope the second part will be better.

SerafosMar 10, 11:24 PM
Mar 27, 2022 11:06 PM

Mar 2021
Yoppi should have gone chin length, I dont like the boy-cut too much on her, it doesnt suit her persona but she's still cute!
Jul 5, 2023 4:09 PM

Jul 2013
I can relate, Hayasaka. There exists too many IPs/creators that were great when they started out but then got bogged down to mediocrity for mainstream appeal.

More topics from this board

» Anywhere I can find a fansub for this movie?

yuzuflavored - Aug 27, 2016

10 by Yui_Suzumiya69 »»
Oct 2, 2023 11:32 PM

» Wake Up, Girls! Sequel!

arsonal - Dec 14, 2014

18 by Vehona »»
Oct 11, 2015 10:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.