Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Asterisk War (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Oct 17, 2015 11:08 AM

Sep 2014
Nice to know a bit more about Julis, looking forward to next weeks episode.
Oct 17, 2015 11:29 AM
Jul 2018
Julis looks funny in that casual outfit while carried the umbrella.
Oct 17, 2015 11:39 AM

Jun 2014
I originally wasn't going to watch this anime but decided to go ahead and check it out.

I think this episode was better than the previous two in terms of not having as much cliche crap, besides that part at the beginning where he ran away from Claudia's advances. But it was nice to learn more about Julis in this episode.

This anime still hasn't really impressed me so far, but there's 9 episodes left so hopefully that can change, even if only a little bit.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Oct 17, 2015 11:50 AM

Apr 2011
Julis best girl period
Oct 17, 2015 11:58 AM

Dec 2009
komasan said:
GenesisAria said:
I wand that ED song so bad.
The ED song is already out. It's on Sakamoto Maaya's album that was released 30 Sept.
Arigatai~!
Found it: "FOLLOW ME UP" - Maaya Sakamoto

...Anyone who says Claudia is best girl prob just wishes a girl would come onto them like that... She's a very shallow character so far; nothing implies any depth.
Julis is unarguably the best developed and strongest char so far in the series.

thebrentinator24 said:
I think this episode was better than the previous two in terms of not having as much cliche crap, besides that part at the beginning where he ran away from Claudia's advances.
Again, Ayato running away isn't cliché story writing, it's a relatable/cute (embarrassed) character there, virtue of modesty, and glorifying of virginity.
Taking advantage of easy sex would be "cliché" of north american writing if you wanted to pick it apart in that respect.
GenesisAriaOct 17, 2015 12:08 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Oct 17, 2015 12:00 PM

Sep 2013
I feel you aAyato, gotta end your virginity with someone you love :'(
Don't let the p*ssy control your life :'(

lol jumping from who know how high building XD
So these battles are like the gladiator days :O there is some darkness underneath the fun school life.
Oct 17, 2015 12:10 PM

Jan 2013
The main target demographic for this copy paste cartoon is definitely male... they don't make the main char a wuss because it appeals to women but because the herbivore men of japan can relate.

Anyway that was quite the average magic highschool anime experience. Aimless titilating, 'look at my tragic backstory' moment and the usual ultra heavy bland main guy.
People apparently will never get tired of their self insert boy. Most prob don't care about his existence anyway and just focus on "who's best girl?!?!"

Dropped...
Oct 17, 2015 12:28 PM

Mar 2015
This episode is so slow and kinda disappointing... some of Julis' backstory, which is having friends, but nothing really happened in this episode, other than what we have known from episode 1 where someone is targeting Julis.

Might actually liking Rakudai more than this anime. I hope next episode could at least be on par with Rakudai's 3rd episode.

Oct 17, 2015 12:32 PM

Sep 2015
This episode felt like a build up to the next one, in which I´m certain, sh*t will go down.
I liked the backstory part for Julis, it really explains a lot about her character and why she even wants to participate in the "war".
Also Claudia needs to chill about Ayato and her "payment" for helping Julis.
Oct 17, 2015 12:34 PM

Feb 2015
The very first cliffhanger. Don't do the same thing like Rokka no Yuusha please.
Anyway , i like the action in this episode, their reflexs was freaking cool , i like to see more of it, but still that cliffhanger -_-".
Oct 17, 2015 12:42 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Claudia still best girl, Julis is a close second. We're finally getting some depth in the story.

4/5
Oct 17, 2015 12:47 PM

Dec 2009
TheNaturalPerm said:
Aimless titilating, 'look at my tragic backstory' moment and the usual ultra heavy bland main guy.
I think you're just sour. Her backstory isn't even that tragic, and her personality actually very tightly fits her history, to the point i could tell there was a lot to this character the moment i saw her. Try comparing depth of plot to real life, instead of some imaginary ideal. A person like that in real life is admirable. There's enough to strengthen her, but can keep her individuality nevertheless.

There are plenty of other shows that, yes, had a ham-fisted sob story to pull some easy QQ's, but that's not the case here, because it's justified in her personality.

I keep saying, has it ever crossed anybody's mind, that despite familiar contexts, this might be the one that does it right where previous ones didn't? First doesn't mean best. So far, this is already looking better than many of it's counterparts.
GenesisAriaOct 17, 2015 12:52 PM

Oct 17, 2015 1:18 PM

Sep 2013
TheNaturalPerm said:
The main target demographic for this copy paste cartoon is definitely male... they don't make the main char a wuss because it appeals to women but because the herbivore men of japan can relate.

Aww Mr Alpha here can't take that some guys aren't sex crazed?
If that was your sister or mother you would bang her too since that's what a man is supposed to do right?
Oct 17, 2015 1:24 PM

Jan 2013
'Better than many of its counterparts' is pretty easy to achieve considering how direterrible the whole magic high genre is. Better than shit unfortunately does not equal good.
I don't find the show horrible...there's just absolutely nothing here for me.
The usual gimmicks with the usual slightly different flavored characters. That's not enough for me to watch it.

ichii_1 said:

Aww Mr Alpha here can't take that some guys aren't sex crazed?
If that was your sister or mother you would bang her too since that's what a man is supposed to do right?

I'm not saying he should bang every chick he can but being actively scared of sexuality is just plain stupid and only there to pander to introvert males watching it.

Also I'm not insulting japan's culture or whatever... A large portion of japanese men are called "herbivores" and many otaku are introverts and shy around girls. That's just how it is. That herbivore attitude is one of the many many reasons for japan's low birthrate

I don't think that's stretching it at all.
NTADOct 26, 2015 3:59 PM
Oct 17, 2015 1:29 PM

Apr 2014
Hm...I still don't like Julis one bit.
Ayato is still hiding his power...
Need more of Claudia and screw Julis haha
Oct 17, 2015 1:36 PM

Dec 2014
"Sorry Claudia, my virginity is very precious to me..."

“There are two kinds of arrogance. One where you are unequal to the task and one where your dreams are too big. The former is commonplace stupidity... but the latter is a rare species that is difficult to find.”

Oct 17, 2015 1:46 PM

Sep 2014
Once again MC who is freaking coward, when it comes to naked girls offering them to him..
Oct 17, 2015 1:52 PM
Oct 2010
You guys realize that people aren't bothered by the fact he didn't do it right? It's just how he reacted to it is the dumb part. You telling me this dude can't reasonably just shoot her down and say he aint ready or something? All this overreaction then running away.. da faq? Why is this even a thing in anime?
Oct 17, 2015 1:59 PM

Aug 2008
GenesisAria said:
Also, in japan, modesty is a virtue;
Nobody says it isn't. The problem is how cardboard MC's react. He wasn't modest, he acted like a... well, crappy anime male lead. Who says he should jump at her, it would be enough if he was surprised but calm and asked what the hell is she doing. Not like the boob electrocuted him.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Oct 17, 2015 2:04 PM

Dec 2009
Antanaru said:
The problem is how cardboard MC's react. He wasn't modest, he acted like a... well, crappy anime male lead. Who says he should jump at her, it would be enough if he was surprised but calm and asked what the hell is she doing. Not like the boob electrocuted him.
It's in j-drama too. It's just the culture's style. It's not a laziness thing. If you don't like it then why watch anime? Why get involved with another culture if you're just gonna get bothered by it? It's not made for western viewers.
GenesisAriaOct 17, 2015 2:08 PM

Oct 17, 2015 2:13 PM
Oct 2010
GenesisAria said:
Antanaru said:
The problem is how cardboard MC's react. He wasn't modest, he acted like a... well, crappy anime male lead. Who says he should jump at her, it would be enough if he was surprised but calm and asked what the hell is she doing. Not like the boob electrocuted him.
It's in j-drama too. It's just the culture's style. It's not a laziness thing. If you don't like it then why watch anime? Why get involved with another culture if you're just gonna get bothered by it? It's not made for western viewers.

Is it part of japanese culture for women to be so forward with men?
Oct 17, 2015 2:17 PM

Apr 2013
Good episode, but dammit Ayato, Claudia was yours for the taking. I mean, i'm not surprised at all, but just once, i would like to be.
Oct 17, 2015 2:19 PM

Jan 2013
skudoops said:
You guys realize that people aren't bothered by the fact he didn't do it right? It's just how he reacted to it is the dumb part. You telling me this dude can't reasonably just shoot her down and say he aint ready or something? All this overreaction then running away.. da faq? Why is this even a thing in anime?

This, and it's indeed bad character writing that's based in japanese culture.
NTADOct 26, 2015 4:01 PM
Oct 17, 2015 2:32 PM

Dec 2011
We finally got some insight on Julis' motivation.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 17, 2015 2:42 PM

Aug 2014
Something tells me we will end up liking the huge bully. Or at least they will try to make us.

Oh, pitiful shadow cloaked in darkness.
Thy actions cause men pain and suffering.
Thy hollow soul drowns in thy sins.
How would you like to see what death is like?
-Enma Ai
Oct 17, 2015 2:58 PM

Jan 2008
That ending Waiting for the rain by Maaya Sakamoto, just gives me an eargasm.
Oct 17, 2015 3:15 PM

Feb 2015
The soundtrack and animation in this series is top notch. I kinda wish it wasn't harem as I'd like to see a proper relationship develop between Ayato & Julis.
Oct 17, 2015 3:16 PM

Mar 2014
Instead of jumping off a building, couldn't he had just like, you know, use a door or something?
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Oct 17, 2015 3:17 PM

Oct 2011
Aww dat date. He ran away T_T
Oct 17, 2015 3:21 PM

Nov 2008
Tokoya said:
yuiyuigahama said:
theres no way people can say this shows bad now theres so much depth to this with juliss motivations and the inclusion of politics in her country too. please let ayato and julis marry each other dear god make it happen
Agreed....And apparently there's a lot more politics and corruption to come later on so I'm excited

No spoilers since I read as far as I could .. But things certainly do get more interesting; both in cliche and non cliche ways - And the anime adaption itself is enjoyable so far. as for the Groaning over his character type.. I did at first ... 15 or so years ago. Now it just washes over past me.. I wont lie and say I dont enjoy the occasional character who acts like an average male probably would. Even if he wanted out of the situation. ^^
Oct 17, 2015 4:08 PM

May 2010
Woah the ed song is pretty alluring.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Oct 17, 2015 5:15 PM

Mar 2015
StrawberryRain said:
Instead of jumping off a building, couldn't he had just like, you know, use a door or something?

But.. but... it'd look cool if he jumped through window... some ninja shit you know lol.

Seriously though, it's probably because it's in a girl dormitory. A guy is probably not allowed to go there on night time because of school rules, which is why he sneak in through the window.

Oct 17, 2015 5:32 PM

May 2015
nice episode, but it just too slow
Oct 17, 2015 5:48 PM
Feb 2015
DarklordVor said:
StrawberryRain said:

But.. but... it'd look cool if he jumped through window... some ninja shit you know lol.

Seriously though, it's probably because it's in a girl dormitory. A guy is probably not allowed to go there on night time because of school rules, which is why he sneak in through the window.

Wouldn't it be worst if he got caught sneaking through the window.
Oct 17, 2015 6:21 PM

Apr 2013
Every Light Novel needs someone like him.

http://myanimelist.net/character/3358/Makoto_Itou
Oct 17, 2015 6:41 PM

Dec 2009
skudoops said:
GenesisAria said:

Is it part of japanese culture for women to be so forward with men?
Yes and no, more like it's amusing. And when i said about glorifying virginity, i didn't mean like they were little kids who are just discovering the opposite sex therefore the "electric shock", it's about embarrassment. That's an appropriate embarrassed reaction. Hence why they always say "hazukashi" and get flustered.

Oct 17, 2015 7:22 PM

Mar 2009
Claudia is the best.
Oct 17, 2015 7:54 PM

Mar 2015
ixarising said:
DarklordVor said:

Wouldn't it be worst if he got caught sneaking through the window.

He didn't got caught right? ;)

Oct 17, 2015 8:54 PM
Mar 2012
Claudia best troll. Ayato being like any other MC, running away. Pity, though it's a reasonable reaction. ;)

Nice backstory for Julis as well, and creating some tension for next episode. I hope there's gonna be some nice battle scenes next episode.

I need that opening soon for when I play tennis. It hypes me up so muchhhhhh. :D
Oct 17, 2015 9:24 PM

Feb 2014
Well looks like this ep confirmed that Ayato doesn't have a penis
Tokoya said:
adapatations are not supposed to be carbon copies of source materials and until the anime community in general can accept that and judge an anime based on what it presents and how they handle every episode, these threads will continue to be filled with hate posts by purists
Oct 17, 2015 9:41 PM

May 2011
Nice backstory for Julis. Nothing really original but still a good one that sheds some light on Julis's personality. Next week we looks to be an action packed one with Ayato finally getting his hands on the Ogre Lux he suspects his sister once used.

And regarding some of the complaints of how generic this series is, I can't deny the statement. But for me, even if the elements are generic and nothing that hasn't been seen or done in another bajillion LN series, I think that solid execution of the elements still can make a series that is enjoyable to watch, and IMO this series is doing just that very well.
Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to give out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.
Oct 17, 2015 10:02 PM

May 2015
Julis is growing on me, but will someone please explain why this episode lacked Saya?!
Oct 17, 2015 10:28 PM
Aug 2012
mrcmc888 said:
Julis is growing on me, but will someone please explain why this episode lacked Saya?!

Because this a Julis-Ayato centered episode.......which should be obvious.

Saya gets more focus next volume.

Oct 17, 2015 10:31 PM

Apr 2015
Ayato running away xD
Oct 17, 2015 11:07 PM

Jan 2013
Fairly good episode, some nice backstory and character interactions.
Oct 18, 2015 12:03 AM
Feb 2009
An anime about battle school and only one half-decent battle in 3 episodes (in 1st).
Oct 18, 2015 12:38 AM

Jun 2013
Dude, I can't get over the transitions into the ED (and the ED itself); they're perfect.
Oct 18, 2015 1:35 AM

Sep 2013
I like how they spent the previous episode introducing a character that doesn't even appear in the background this episode. Oh so sad...
Oct 18, 2015 3:23 AM

Nov 2013
i'm definitely sticking around for this one.
Oct 18, 2015 3:49 AM

Aug 2014
Well, Ichika...... I mean Ayato was a typical Harem Protagonist, he has not guts towards the ladies.. He gets embarrassed easily and stuff..
But, I am glad he is not a total wimp though
Also, damn Julis is a hardcore tsundere (Not louise category though), and she resembles like Shirou Emiya in the Fate Route who happens to get his ass kicked every single time, because he wants to rely on his own power similar to Julis
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2015

202 by Dennywibu »»
Yesterday, 7:04 AM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 21, 2015

116 by POLYTRON2K »»
Dec 28, 2023 11:23 PM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 3, 2015

324 by animegamerrose »»
Jun 21, 2023 10:01 PM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 14, 2015

122 by Arlindox0 »»
Feb 27, 2023 5:20 AM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 24, 2015

220 by Azuki_Sayashi »»
Feb 17, 2023 7:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.