Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 11, 2009 6:32 AM

Sep 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION , DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright watched the RAW ----- I coudnt just stop myself from watching it...^___^
The above is the effect of YAOI abstinence..

Shiga is so sexy!!!! -constant nosebleed- , -excessive blood loss during the last scene- , -death-.

So the black haired dude with whom kokusai was talking to i think is the one who harrased him...damn him but we got to see Kokusais real feelings for shiga...

Mutual love is pretty!!!

Theres was a lot of comedy but i didnt understand :( , when are the subs coming out?????!!!!!!!!!

The kiss scene under the bridge....was so beautiful.*blush*

I loved it when Shiga smelled Kokusai's hair...wow...

Yes yes yaoi makes me a little lame and giddy...its like candy :P
ValentilnDec 11, 2009 11:21 AM
Dec 11, 2009 7:40 AM

Aug 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Pretty good. They managed to be pretty different in that there isn't a "girl." Also I found some of the comedy to be genuinely funny. Could have done without the rape though, since it's so terribly used in all yaoi. Just the dream sequence in a different context would have been fine though.
Dec 11, 2009 9:24 AM

Oct 2007
noteDhero said:
Could have done without the rape though...
With this... ah well forget it.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Dec 11, 2009 10:12 AM

Aug 2008
Whoa, whoa, whoa.
I thought you didn't like gay stuff, Siva. What on earth possessed you to watch this?
And please, continue on with that though. I have a feeling there won't be much discussion beyond, "Oh my god, he's so hot." "They're so cute together," etc. etc.
Dec 11, 2009 11:04 AM

Dec 2007
I swear, I'm going to rewatch this episode and count just how many times they blushed.

But I kind of even liked this. I wonder how many episodes there are going to be in total.
Dec 11, 2009 11:09 AM

Oct 2007
Well, i just saw it on tokyotosho and wonder what kind of series is this. Then I saw Yaoi my face went >_< it reminded me of Maiden Rose. I know I hate Yaoi but not because they are Yaoi but for the contents I got from watching it. You know I tried to enjoy Yaoi but I never got pass 1 or 2 episodes. I did my best in Maiden Rose and it failed me so hard. I haven't watch the episode yet but I saw you write a comment and I come and see it. While reading your comment I was about to give it a try but not until I read what I quoted you LOL. I am not sure if I were to give it a try.

Dec 11, 2009 11:15 AM

Aug 2008
Ahh. Ok, lol.

Hmmm. Well, I will say that the show has potential. Maiden Rose was absolutely derivative in every aspect, and though a lot of the first episode was well executed, it fell hard.

I don't think that's the case here (with the end being a big exception). They actually managed to present most of what happened in a believable or funny manner, and I appreciate that.
Dec 11, 2009 11:22 AM

Oct 2007
Ah well, we will see it when I got some time.

Dec 11, 2009 2:24 PM

Aug 2007
Hm-m, just watched it. The picture-stuff was really weird. At least I wouldn't run away because I'd be afraid of it. T_T The comedy was used at the right moments, not like in the middle of the dream rape scene and 'ahahaha', but simply right. NoteDhero, you said that there isn't really a 'girl', but I guess it'd be Kokusai. The scene underneath the bridge was cute. I thought the rape wasn't so rapy as they usually are, so that's a plus to me. I'm definitely looking forward to the next episode. Pretty funny to hear that 'Kyon' is Chiga (or not).
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Dec 11, 2009 2:36 PM

Aug 2008
That's what it was! I totally couldn't peg the voices (and was too lazy to look).
Dec 11, 2009 7:39 PM

Apr 2009
DragonsWhip said:
Pretty funny to hear that 'Kyon' is Chiga (or not).

What can I say? He is just that good. He makes good humor even better.

I thought Chiga got over the whole 'am I gay' thing pretty quick. But maybe they sped the plot up because it's animated?
Kyon however, continually denies his obvious attraction to Koizumi.
Dec 11, 2009 7:49 PM

Aug 2008
I think it was more "Am I in love?" than "Am I gay?" I don't remember him saying, "but this is a guy" like most people (like Kokusai) in yaoi do. So I was a little whatever about him getting over it quickly.
Dec 11, 2009 8:27 PM

Apr 2009
Yeah! I guess you’re right- he just skipped that stereotypical step altogether. And in scrutinizing Kokusai’s faults began to feel affection for him.
Dec 12, 2009 6:06 AM

Jan 2008
I can't wait for the next ep to come out <3 ~ I really enjoyed watching this :D
Dec 12, 2009 8:02 AM

Mar 2008
They blushed helluva lot and it was kind of cute. And it was very interesting watching them getting too familiar with each other without minding that they are both guys

Akutsu was an interesting character though. I am willing to read the manga if there is more of him there and if he is kind of connected to Kokusai, I like twists :D
Dec 12, 2009 1:20 PM

Nov 2008
I absolutely loved it!!! They are soo cute when they are blushing at the same time >.< I tried to read the manga but then I found it in a very very bad quality which is too bad =( anyway ... it's killing me to stay like that without knowing what's gonna happen ... I'll just read the manga, after all it's better than nothing lol
Dec 12, 2009 4:23 PM

Nov 2007
Just why were they blushing every five seconds?
Ah well, better than what I expected. It had its funny moments, and by funny I don't mean "oh gods I'm laughing at the sheer horribleness of this" that's so frequent in yaoi.
Chiga was practically Germany with Gintoki's voice, though. Which in my book is insta-win.
Dec 14, 2009 1:17 PM

Feb 2009
I liked it too but I have this problem that I want ot read the manga and I can't find it anywhere TT^TT
!؟ nani o shitemo doko ni itemo
Dec 14, 2009 1:41 PM

Sep 2007
I was seriously very annoyed by the whole episode.
Got goosebumps. I voted that Hate option.
Will tell in detail later on, first gotta finish my report.
Dec 14, 2009 8:11 PM

Dec 2008
I found myself laughing about how silly this was, but I actually enjoyed it. Maybe the sillines was kind of cute, at least it is the first time that all too much blushing doesn't annoy me. Let's hope this is a good one, because BL anime mostly sucks for me.

noteDhero said:
Pretty good. They managed to be pretty different in that there isn't a "girl." Also I found some of the comedy to be genuinely funny. Could have done without the rape though, since it's so terribly used in all yaoi. Just the dream sequence in a different context would have been fine though.

You mean Kokusai being not girly? (he is still a bit girly I think)
Totally agree about the dream sequence. And yeah, the whole concept about the alluring and defenseless guy is already boring.
Dec 14, 2009 8:23 PM

Aug 2008
He's girly. I don't really have a problem with that. I have a problem when yaoi has this tall, over-bearing guy, and then another dainty one who likes to wear aprons, with a really high pitched voice and gets mistaken for a girl because he's so cute. Yaoi likes to present gay relationships in an ambiguous manner, yet only show it as though there has to be a 'man' and a 'woman' in the relationship. It's stupid and borderline offensive.

There should be more variety in the types of guys they show. Why can't there be more 'masculine'/'masculine' or 'feminine'/'feminine' couples...and then just a general variety in their stories. I'm getting tired of it either being "You raped me! But I kind of liked it" or "I can't believe I like guys! And it's an older man that's seducing me! I'm so conflicted!"

Kokusai is an airhead, but in a typical sort of way, and Chiga is also a very typical character. That's why I'm a little charmed by this OVA.
Dec 14, 2009 8:40 PM

Dec 2008
noteDhero said:
He's girly. I don't really have a problem with that. I have a problem when yaoi has this tall, over-bearing guy, and then another dainty one who likes to wear aprons, with a really high pitched voice and gets mistaken for a girl because he's so cute. Yaoi likes to present gay relationships in an ambiguous manner, yet only show it as though there has to be a 'man' and a 'woman' in the relationship. It's stupid and borderline offensive.

There should be more variety in the types of guys they show. Why can't there be more 'masculine'/'masculine' or 'feminine'/'feminine' couples...and then just a general variety in their stories. I'm getting tired of it either being "You raped me! But I kind of liked it" or "I can't believe I like guys! And it's an older man that's seducing me! I'm so conflicted!"

Kokusai is an airhead, but in a typical sort of way, and Chiga is also a very typical character. That's why I'm a little charmed by this OVA.

I like your way of thinking :). Altough I usually don't like the girly characters, you are right, sometimes thy are well portrayed and the relationship is out of the stereotypes that are so annoying already. It would be really great to see an equal standing relationship getting that much of attention, one where both characters are men and not just a different representation of the "man/female" relationship, or let's say the dominant/submissive dynamics better. All this thing with roles is annoying for me, even in the usual romance/shoujo stories.

It is such a pity that you don't seem to read manga...anime fails, most of the times, in this genre. Manga has a lot more options about what you said. I especially like those where people expect the dominant and "masculine" character to be the man or top and then it turns out the other way around haha. There are even some stories that can be considered masterpieces without any of the stupid clichés around, but I really doubt that those could get animated..those are not so popular as your typical seme/uke relationship..
Dec 14, 2009 9:07 PM

Aug 2008
Thanks. Yeah that's the problem I have. It's not that I don't like effeminate men, but that they use the fem guys as a replacement for a girl.

I'll read a bara manga every now and then, but I just don't bother to look up what I have read and put it on MAL. I wouldn't really bother with reading yaoi since I'm just not in the demographic, and more than any other genre, I get annoyed very quickly.
Dec 15, 2009 6:02 AM

Dec 2008
noteDhero said:
Thanks. Yeah that's the problem I have. It's not that I don't like effeminate men, but that they use the fem guys as a replacement for a girl.

I'll read a bara manga every now and then, but I just don't bother to look up what I have read and put it on MAL. I wouldn't really bother with reading yaoi since I'm just not in the demographic, and more than any other genre, I get annoyed very quickly.

I understand. There is a lot of that in BL, sadly.
Bara, uhm, I have only touched the boundaries of it, I mean something like this. I'll have to look more, I am not into that demographic XD, but I could enjoy it with a really good story (any recommendation?). I used to get really annoyed by yaoi too, but I found what you could consider hidden gems that are worth the time I spent reading horrible stuff. If you feel like it I could recommend some stories that are really good, sometimes considered more josei than yaoi.
Dec 15, 2009 7:52 AM

Aug 2008
More josei than yaoi? That sounds promising.
I think that link would count as bara...but then again, I wouldn't really know. That's what the art looks like though.
Dec 15, 2009 8:08 AM

Dec 2008
noteDhero said:
More josei than yaoi? That sounds promising.
I think that link would count as bara...but then again, I wouldn't really know. That's what the art looks like though.

Well, well, if you want to try, this might be a good option (I feel it is a challenge to find one that you would like). Please don't be let down by the beginning of the story, is kind of cliché the whole thing about the blackmail..but I really liked the rest and the sequel a lot.
About that "bara", a friend of mine told me that was gashi-mushi or something like that. Almost bara but not quite into it. What I like the most is that the one you would think to be the bottom, like it usually happens, isn't. :) Any thoughts about that rec if you feel like reading it on my profile please, I feel like we are turning this discussion into another thing entirely! ^^
Dec 15, 2009 8:20 AM

Aug 2008
Thanks. I'll definitely try it (and talk to you about it on your prfile:D)
If it's almost bara, then it might not be graphic with the sex, so you might like it. That's the reason why I held off on recommendations: it's totally geared towards gay men.
Dec 15, 2009 10:34 AM

Oct 2007
>_< what a discussion.

Dec 15, 2009 10:50 AM

Aug 2008
LOL, Siva. I wondered what you'd say if you came back.
Dec 15, 2009 12:10 PM

Oct 2007
Well, actually you guys said it all and even discussed the thing that should be discussed. So it is pretty much left me with nothing to say more. It was a pretty funny indeed. Let just hope it won't go downhill from here.

So far, Antique Bakery is the best one in this BL type anime I have enjoyed(well I am not sure if I could all it BL, I am noob with this kind of thing). And Junjou Romantica turned me off since the first 10 mins.

Dec 15, 2009 12:28 PM

Aug 2008
I agree. Antique Bakery is the best of its type. I'm also hesitant to call it straight up yaoi, since it went the extra mile to have interesting characters and a plot independent of sexuality. I watched Junjou just to watch it. There were a few good moments here and there, but it was clearly just a fetish outlet for young women.
Dec 15, 2009 12:52 PM

Oct 2007
What exactly this kind of show lack the most are the development and characters. There are just so many things they could do with the show but all we got a big tall guy and a small slim guy, and plus what was discussed above. There are so many things that we could learn from the show but they never tried to expand it like Antique Bakery did.

Dec 15, 2009 2:48 PM

Aug 2008
To be fair, Junjou had a little bit of development on the character side. They just liked to go backwards on it a lot for the sake of the drama. That was the most frustrating part, and why I end up calling it a fetish product for girls.
Dec 15, 2009 4:52 PM

Oct 2009
firstly, i comment on this show:

i just watched the first ep with aarin subs, and i loved it.. it was so pinkishly sweet and funny.. XD those blushings were a bit too much for me, those moments seemed too long and awkvard, but cute anyways.
rape/dream scene was hot, altho his reaction at the end was kinda weird, because, if he had assumed that its a dream, he shouldnt have gotten that scared.. overall they were beautifully drawn lovable characters.. i thought that the sneaky bastard was Akatsuki too, the apearance was very similar..

and secondly:
i must say that im that kind of girl who watches and reads yaoi mainly for the eyecandies XD but im not all bad, i like a good story too, i just go through phases of of different kinds..

altho i agree with those, who say, that anime mainly fails, the story is rarely told till the end and through and through, so many times ive neded up reading the manga source of an anime, just to find out wtf was going on. XD or atleast the wiki info..

and ive talked too long again and my pc wil run out of power in a few, so.. bb
Dec 16, 2009 4:39 AM

Oct 2007
noteDhero said:
That was the most frustrating part, and why I end up calling it a fetish product for girls.
That is the reason why I hate Kyoani, they always messed up with my fav anime to the every end for the sake of fan and selling.

@Lariela: People has the right to chose whatever they like to watch and there is nothing wrong with that. But most of fan girls usually come here and says "That is so hot." and then gone. Having a few opinions about the show they are watching is always nice and welcome to see.

Dec 16, 2009 7:15 AM

Dec 2008
noteDhero said:
I agree. Antique Bakery is the best of its type. I'm also hesitant to call it straight up yaoi, since it went the extra mile to have interesting characters and a plot independent of sexuality. I watched Junjou just to watch it. There were a few good moments here and there, but it was clearly just a fetish outlet for young women.

I haven't seen Antique but I read the manga, and I have to say it was one of the best stories I have read. Maybe you find it that good because it is rated more like a shoujo/slice of life with slight hints of shounen-ai. I even read the DJ made by the same mangaka that is like an extra with the yaoi parts, and it was really well done. Those are the kinds of stories that should be animated :) (I should watch it to know how the adaptation turned out!)
And yes, Junjou has its good moments but it was clearly what you said. And by the way, I have no problems with the explicitness of bara, is more like I need a support for that, I usually rate mangas that are only about sex and nothing more really low..so it is all about the story, I don't know how to say it, maybe the creation of the necessary atmosphere for that to happen.
Dec 16, 2009 9:14 AM

Aug 2008
I didn't think there were hints of shounen ai at all. What's his face was gay, and had a crush on his old classmate. They clearly didn't have that type of relationship, but he did with the butler and a few other guys. That's what I liked. Even though it's a little ridiculous that he just turned out straight guys left and right, none of them were hesitant or in anguish over their feelings. They were desperate for his attention.

Oh, you dont? Well, from the bara manga that I've read, they're all one-shots, so the story really is just a means of getting to the sex. I totally agree about things happening in a proper order true to characters and what not, but I'm going to be honest. I don't read them for the story, and am not delusional about the fact that they aren't particularly good in that department.
Dec 16, 2009 11:52 AM

Dec 2008
noteDhero said:
I didn't think there were hints of shounen ai at all. What's his face was gay, and had a crush on his old classmate. They clearly didn't have that type of relationship, but he did with the butler and a few other guys. That's what I liked. Even though it's a little ridiculous that he just turned out straight guys left and right, none of them were hesitant or in anguish over their feelings. They were desperate for his attention.

Oh, you dont? Well, from the bara manga that I've read, they're all one-shots, so the story really is just a means of getting to the sex. I totally agree about things happening in a proper order true to characters and what not, but I'm going to be honest. I don't read them for the story, and am not delusional about the fact that they aren't particularly good in that department.

Well, I don't know the anime but in the manga were some..you could consider it like the tiniest bit of it. The rest was as you said, "gay of demonic charm", which I found quite amusing, but I would consider that story a josei/slice of life. And the descriptions about the pastries used to make me want to buy them!

Hahaha, I get it. I was just wondering about one with a nice story. In any case I also read some things that aren't exactly the brightest pieces of manga, I admit that bara wouldn't exactly work for me in that matter though!
Dec 16, 2009 12:11 PM

Aug 2008
Yeah, I guess so. It's pretty hard for me to decipher when a story is josei or not since it seems to be the most encompassing of a all demographics. And since I was equally intoxicated by the food, my ability to know what exactly it was failed me.

LOL. Sorry I couldn't be a better help.
Dec 16, 2009 12:17 PM

Dec 2008
noteDhero said:
Yeah, I guess so. It's pretty hard for me to decipher when a story is josei or not since it seems to be the most encompassing of a all demographics. And since I was equally intoxicated by the food, my ability to know what exactly it was failed me.

LOL. Sorry I couldn't be a better help.

Right, as far as I know the manga was published in a shoujo oriented publication. So that would be it. And don't worry, it's good to know a bit about it, I have a friend that's making some bara recommendations in our club so that members can have a different view of gay rommance, so I was getting curious ^^
Dec 20, 2009 10:56 PM

Jan 2008
WHAT A DISCUSSION, REALLY O_O.
Dec 24, 2009 10:01 PM

Feb 2009
Funny, but way too much blushing come on are you guys a bunch of girls! That president is such a pansy I like manly shounen-ai or yaoi, if the other guy is such a girl I better go watch shoujo!
Dec 25, 2009 10:27 AM

Dec 2009
Sumimasen... Anybody knows when the second part is going out??????
Dec 30, 2009 10:15 PM

Aug 2009
So much blushing. It was terribly embarrassing to watch, I had to pause every few minutes just to turn away. All of the stereotypical plot points hit, except it was of the shojo variety and Chiga was the heroine.

In short, not my cup of tea.
Jan 4, 2010 1:45 AM

Oct 2007
Am I the only one who thought the whole OVA was really awkward? And I'm not talking about Chiga, Kokusai, or the animation. (I'm not actually sure what, really XD;;)

Perhaps I'm biased because I've read the manga or something... I still liked it though. They did a good job of adapting Monchi-sensei's art, plus I adore Chiga, Kokusai, and the seiyuu that were so expertly chosen for them<3 I'm looking forward to the next OVA, where my favorite scenes from the manga should be included ^^
Jan 4, 2010 3:51 PM

Mar 2008
Average stuff in my opinion. I found the characters quite silly and the way Kokusai kept dragging his lines annoyed the hell out of me. The best thing in this was Kishio Daisuke's character (the initial sidekick whose name I can't remember) and of course, Sugita doing Chiga's voice. I get the kicks imagining him as Gintok xD

Still, I have to mention, the fake rape scene was a nice trick to avoid the usual cliché between the two main characters: they meet, two seconds later fall in love, and the next day their are already doing it. A smart plot I must say.
Jan 12, 2010 5:29 AM

Dec 2008
I downloaded the episode with sub and then watched it... It was soo amazing I couldn't believe my eyes! It was hot boys, funny moments, hot boys, weird moments, hot boys and beautiful moments... Oh, and hot boys=^-^= No one can keep me from this show!! So going to watch the rest of it=^o^=
Jan 17, 2010 12:49 AM

May 2008
It was pretty cute but Kokusai is just way too stupid. No way in hell there's someone that retarded around, right? Right? RIGHT? It was a bit shoujo-ish but I liked it anyway. But, oh how the lack of plot hurts.... XD (Oh, yeah I know there's the stalker stuff but I can't believe my eyes when Kokusai doesn't even notice what's going on - or pretends not to, dunno yet.)
Jan 26, 2010 4:14 AM

Oct 2009
I think Kokusai is meant to be portrayed as a simple-minded guy.Not a retard.

I don't know about you guys but I think the blushing is quite endearing. It is excessive but I dont really mind

I really like guys like Chiga. Too bad he's gay. :/

Another feature that I liked about this OVA is the high-standard art. Absolutely beautiful.

Anyway, I look forward to the next OVA! :D
Jan 27, 2010 4:52 AM

Jan 2009
Does somebody know how many episodes will this OVA have?
And if there is, where I can watch episode 2?

-The world we live in is always within darkness.
-Which is why we seek light.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Seitokaichou ni Chuukoku Episode 2 Discussion

noteDhero - May 14, 2010

43 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
Mar 27, 2:42 PM

» Trailer

LinsletWalker - Nov 8, 2009

16 by LinsletWalker »»
Apr 3, 2010 11:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.