Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 3, 2015 12:57 PM

Jun 2015
While I'm plowing my way through older popular anime which for some reason I have been saving up all this time, I'm wondering whether I should give DBZ a go. The new DB Super thing piqued my interest. I find it hard to get into long-running shounen now for some reason. Mostly because they repeat the same things and share a lot in common. I ended putting D. gray man on-hold, back in the day I would've marathon-ed that in a week. So does DBZ offer anything different? Or is it more of the same. Thanks
Jul 3, 2015 1:00 PM
Feb 2014
watch dbz kai.

Jul 3, 2015 1:00 PM

Jun 2015
Akapa said:
watch dbz kai.

is that a movie? Stand-alone?
Jul 3, 2015 1:06 PM

Jun 2015
DBZ is a classic! It's always good to watch such a classic piece of anime. But yeah, let's be realistic; it's long (291 episodes, not including OVAS and other stuff). But not as long as Naruto Shippuden (418 episodes, and still ongoing).

Besides, It's worth watching just for the Goku vs. Freezer battle! EPIC! :D
Für Kampf der Liebe
Jul 3, 2015 1:07 PM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
ProtonShift said:
Akapa said:
watch dbz kai.

Shorter version of DBZ with refreshed graphics
Jul 3, 2015 1:45 PM

Sep 2013
The Original DB is better~
Follow sui-u on tumblr~ best tumblr all time!~ <3
http://sui-u.tumblr.com/
Jul 3, 2015 1:47 PM

Jun 2015
Barnald said:
ProtonShift said:

Shorter version of DBZ with refreshed graphics

Might check it out thanks
Jul 3, 2015 1:57 PM

Jun 2014
nahh just leave it and watch the remastered version Kai which I hear is better
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jul 3, 2015 3:17 PM

Aug 2014
Read the manga or watch Kai.

DBZ is a classic but it has some pacing issues and way to much screaming and yelling in between action scenes.
Jul 3, 2015 3:25 PM
Mar 2011
I think it's better first to at least watch DB or read the first part of DB manga.
Jul 3, 2015 3:29 PM

Feb 2013
Watch them all.
I suggest this order : Dragon Ball - Dragon Ball Z - Dragon Ball Kai - Dragon Ball Kai 2014.

Aslo watch all the movies and specials you can find.
Jul 3, 2015 3:45 PM

Oct 2013
Watch DB AND THEN DBZ!!!!! SCREW KAI!!!!!!!!!
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Jul 3, 2015 3:48 PM

Nov 2014
Is there a good replacement for original Dragon Ball? Like Kai for Z.

Jul 4, 2015 1:26 PM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
ExTamplier said:

Nothing that I'm aware of. So probably there is no such thing
Jul 4, 2015 1:56 PM

Oct 2013
ExTamplier said:

Nope but why would you? Its great as it is.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
Jul 4, 2015 9:24 PM

Nov 2014
Barnald said:
ExTamplier said:
---

Nothing that I'm aware of. So probably there is no such thing
daAmazinFatB0y said:
ExTamplier said:
---

Nope but why would you? Its great as it is.

Ok, thank you.

Jul 4, 2015 11:31 PM

Jun 2013
Watch classic Dragon Ball then Dragon Ball Z , im not checking ur age but even the old people will love this epic anime , such great battles and its really fun to watch. Go for it!
Jul 5, 2015 3:20 AM

Oct 2013
Reddy548 said:
Watch classic Dragon Ball then Dragon Ball Z , im not checking ur age but even the old people will love this epic anime , such great battles and its really fun to watch. Go for it!
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
Jul 5, 2015 3:31 AM

Jun 2014
can somebody motivate me to finish DBZ, I'm on ep 72 and watching at 2x speed isn't helping
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jul 5, 2015 3:31 AM

Feb 2015
Yeah just watch Kai insteadt, DBZ is way too long.

ExTamplier said:

There was a movie that retold some scenes from the original Dragonball but with a visual style like GT. Forgot the name though :c
Jul 5, 2015 3:32 AM

Apr 2013
Meh, it's pretty forgettable. Very slow and pretty boring to watch apart from a few scenes.

Ahhh... Is this the blood... The blood of the Dark Soul?
Jul 6, 2015 6:26 AM

Oct 2013
FireEmblemIke24 said:
can somebody motivate me to finish DBZ, I'm on ep 72 and watching at 2x speed isn't helping

The ginyu saga is a kinda boring tbh so I feel your pain.

Episode 95 is where shit gets better, much better. That's where the epic shit begins and from there onward's I had most of the fun with the series.

tbh it'll get better when Goku fights Frieza (you know its coming so no spoiling that lol) me personally I was a lil bored throughout the namek saga though it IS one of the most epic ones.

Epiode 95 man. Don't search it up of course so you don't spoil it for yourself, just bear with it. Hopefully you'll end up enjoying it after that.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
Jul 6, 2015 7:36 AM
Jul 2018
Watch the original DB, DBZ and the movies. But never watch DB GT! I'm just waiting to watch the first episode of DB Super! :)
Jul 7, 2015 7:29 AM
Jul 2015
Dragon ball is one the most epic shonen you'll ever see. It inspired many famous Manga authors; Eichiro Oda and Masashi Kishimoto for example, consider Dragon Ball to be their main inspiration. You should give it a chance. Youl not be disappointed.

As for how you should watch it, watch Dragon Ball first and then watched Dragon Ball Z. If you don't wanna watch 291 episodes of DBZ, you can watch Dragon Ball Kai, though I prefer DBZ.

If you like it, you can watch its movies and specials afterwards.

Oh, and more thing, don't watch Dragon Ball GT. Its a piece of shit.
Jul 10, 2015 12:28 PM

Oct 2013
The only good thing to come out of GT was SSJ4. THAT IS IT!!!!!!!!!!
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
Jul 12, 2015 2:06 PM

Aug 2014
daAmazinFatB0y said:
The only good thing to come out of GT was SSJ4. THAT IS IT!!!!!!!!!!

And even that was pretty meh in the first place.

@OT
You should give it a go, the Dragon Ball franchise is a icon and defintiely left it marks in the anime industry.. But I recommend watching Kai over the 80's version, since it's shorter due to cutting all the fillers in it.
Jul 17, 2015 3:17 AM

Nov 2013
Watch the original Dragon Ball first.
You all need to watch Nami.

Jul 17, 2015 3:24 AM

Aug 2013
JonasDaJay said:
Yeah just watch Kai insteadt, DBZ is way too long.

ExTamplier said:

There was a movie that retold some scenes from the original Dragonball but with a visual style like GT. Forgot the name though :c
Path to Power http://myanimelist.net/anime/893/Dragon_Ball_Movie_4:_Saikyou_e_no_Michi/ It only goes up to Red Ribbon army saga.
Jul 17, 2015 3:47 AM

Nov 2013
Just watch Kai. Fillers are removed and fights are shorter so the pace is quicker. Same graphics though, don't know where the people took it from that graphics are improved. Maybe it's been stretched/cut to 16:9 ratio instead of 4:3 but that's it.
Jul 17, 2015 4:02 AM

Aug 2013
HandsomeMan said:
Just watch Kai. Fillers are removed and fights are shorter so the pace is quicker. Same graphics though, don't know where the people took it from that graphics are improved. Maybe it's been stretched/cut to 16:9 ratio instead of 4:3 but that's it.
It's remastered for better picture quality and it has a few new animated scenes.

Jul 17, 2015 5:33 AM

Nov 2013
I see. Not sure if that's better, just changed lighting but same animation. Also some of the picture is cut now like vegeta's feet in that example.

Looks like vegeta was super saiyan god in original one too.
Jul 17, 2015 5:37 AM

Oct 2012
I see from your list that you don't mind reading long manga, so just read the DB manga. It covers both the DB and DBZ/Kai anime at a much faster pace (that's to be expected, considering it's the source material).
Jul 18, 2015 3:51 PM
Oct 2013
Zesyf said:
While I'm plowing my way through older popular anime which for some reason I have been saving up all this time, I'm wondering whether I should give DBZ a go. The new DB Super thing piqued my interest. I find it hard to get into long-running shounen now for some reason. Mostly because they repeat the same things and share a lot in common. I ended putting D. gray man on-hold, back in the day I would've marathon-ed that in a week. So does DBZ offer anything different? Or is it more of the same. Thanks

It depends on why you're watching it.

If you're watching it to get the same nostalgic experience that everyone else had, then you need to watch it the way we watched it, DBZ where we had the Canadian Ocean dubs all the way up to the fight between Goku Vs, jeice and Burter and Funimation dubbing it from here on out. Also watch the regular and NOT the remastered version. However this is only if you're trying to get the nostalgic experience.

The only thing is that finding the old versions of the DVDS would be a hassle since they are almost nonexistent and you'd have to search on Ebay.

Sometimes I forget that not everyone is a fan from the 90's and that we have newer and younger fans that got introduced and only experienced the re-mastered versions or through Kai.

One thing that you will notice is that it is incredibly different than other anime. Even now as I look back, it was the second anime I've ever seen and now I've seen a whole bunch of anime, it doesn't have the same stupid tropes like modern anime does.

One thing you gotta keep in mind while watching this show is to not take anything seriously. It's not a thinking show but just something to have fun watching. Kinda like a summer blockbuster movie. You'll see plot holes and continuity errors all of the time throughout the series, but that doesn't matter. It's just a show about fighting.

Simple as that.
Jul 28, 2015 1:50 PM
Jul 2015
DrGeroCreation said:
HandsomeMan said:
It's remastered for better picture quality and it has a few new animated scenes.

Haha I noticed this when I was watching him too it was so hilarious I was like to come get this past me I'm so smart

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 122 Discussion

MrHatandClogs - Oct 11, 2010

27 by GeoRush »»
Yesterday, 8:32 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 117 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 13, 2013

17 by GeoRush »»
Apr 24, 1:34 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 12 Discussion

Yokurama - Feb 13, 2008

15 by Dumb »»
Apr 24, 1:06 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 291 Discussion

Pokedude97 - Jul 27, 2008

46 by satyabrata900 »»
Apr 21, 9:09 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 230 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Nov 24, 2013

12 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 19, 8:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.