Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 2, 2015 3:40 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
As usual, Kid being evil is deceiving.

[spoiler]
For Sunflower exhibition, the old rich guy bought an art of one of Van Gogh's Sunflower Collection in NY with huge price. Kid did came to steal the arts, but with a person (criminal?)'s request (Conan did notice it's weird for Kid to steal art instead of jeweries), but he also protected them with his old helper's request. The 7 "samurais" of the old business man included several people that involves with the background of Sunflower Collection. A guy was from a family (related to the background story) with a goal to collect Sunflower art with his brother, who died from him killing by accident. Then a lady who greatly loves the collection cannot accept how "fake" the two collections was the main guest seiyuu, Nana Eikura (also the main girl of Toshokan Senkou live action movie), who was the criminal. The rich girl is busy accompanying with her uncle because of promoting the exhibition. Ran also helped out with her usual kick when Kid and Coan's brief collaboration. There's also an old lady meeting in a museum is also involving with the background story of the collection (and that old guy who helps the kid is the witness of the tragic love). Wow, that police from NY, also part of samurai, is very strong in emotion about Kid being a terrorist, which was set by the real criminal of the movie.

The short notice for next year's movie showing two traitors in Black Organization?? (Gin, with disbelieve tone, mentioned Bourbon and another member that I forgot)
tsubasaloverJul 2, 2015 4:56 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 24, 2015 5:48 AM

Jun 2013
Another fine movie for this franchise (although I feel movie 18 was better). It has all the fundamentals down: appearance of most of the supporting cast (like last year, the studio managed not to make their presence appear shoehorned, which is a plus), the obligatory Professor's quiz, lots of action, a case and some cheesy drama.

As for some rants:
Aug 6, 2015 8:47 AM

Mar 2015
Just watched this in my local theater.

I must say I'm quite impressed with how they used red herrings as if Kid is a bad guy in this movie. To only realized that Kid is actually preventing the damage of the paintings.

Also Haibara x Conan moments are a big plus to me lol. That scene where Haibara is constantly worrying about Kudo's safety... or the scene with that granny.. and that post-end credit scene... P.S. Haibara also did not really deny her feelings that was pointed out by the granny about Conan, although I know this is totally not canon, but it's good to fans like me~

So yeah to me this movie is very enjoyable and satisfying!

Aug 10, 2015 8:46 AM
Oct 2013
Any idea if any fansub group will be picking this up once it becomes available?
Sep 1, 2015 9:52 AM
May 2015
why would natsumi miyadai be the culprit and what about her motive?
Sep 16, 2015 1:54 AM
Feb 2014
it feels a bit like reheasing ideas that have been used before, such as another plane crash, kid become shinichi, i forgot another one because i only watch it once in theater.

despite that, this movie has a background story from a side character, which is quite rare in conan movie. and that ai-conan moment though.

overall, it's average. gonna review it later when fansub version appear

hope the next movie can give another Raven Chaser excitement
Sep 22, 2015 9:04 AM

Mar 2015
Good movie overall.
any news about the next movie?
Sep 29, 2015 4:19 AM
Apr 2015
More Kaito Kid is always good.

Not bad movie but since it has Kaito, i'll be biased.

5/10.
Oct 6, 2015 1:51 AM

Jan 2009
I'm totally disappointed, this is the first movie without a murder case, and the case didn't make sense to me, it was totally stupid, especially Kaito Kid, why the heck didn't he tell Conan directly in the message instead of using a riddle?!
Also, they didn't explain the truth behind what happened with the 2 billions that flew off the window! what the heck!

One thing I liked though (and it could be only me), Agasa used to have a childish side in his character and acted more like a comic relief character in the early episodes of the series (including the first few movies), but later on he turned to a Santa Claus-like character, you could call it a development but I don't like it to be honest.
Anyway, he kinda returned to his old personality in this movie, which is good in my opinion.
Oct 7, 2015 9:29 PM

Nov 2012
Detective Conan movie 19...., it has been another amazing ride. The movie was really good, but it was far from being the best. That being said, the movie is the highest grossing one in the entire franchise, so it was well received for the most part.

As always, my major irritation and dislike in these movies albeit in this one, it was really, really small in comparison to movie 18, was Ran. I do love her as a character, I just don't like how they shoehorn her into the story because she is the main female lead.

Sonoko: Ran save us!

I'll pretend this was a mistranslation or something of that sort. Unless someone can explain to me how the fuck Sonoko envisioned Ran saving the plane.

Kid & Conan: Lend us your strength!
What is reinforced concrete? But then again, we need to be reminded that Ran has a black belt and is not completely useless...., wch I would be fine with. Let her be a normal 16 year high school girl, thats what I love about her.

As I continue on with this story, the more and more I'm starting to love Haibara. And I wish there was a legit chance for her, cuz at this point I do find her more endearing than Ran. Finally, either Sonoko has grown on me, or something was different about her this movie. She normally annoys me to no ends, but in this movie she was really lovable. I had to do a double take at times.

All in all, it was a good story and movie. The only negative that really affected my total enjoyment was the villain and their motives. The motive was fucking retarded...., like I had to facepalm. Also, why Kid just didn't go to Conan and be like "dude, shit is going down, lend me a hand" instead of riddles and shit is also retarded, but it didn't really bother me as much as the good parts of the movie was enough for me to enjoy myself.

Lastly, the adventure continues with movie 20 (trailer at the end), and now the long, long wait for release and then subs begins. I'm hoping we get movie 20 subbed faster this time and I'm expecting this one to be a step up from the recent movies. Can't wait to see what they do with the Organization.

Detective Conan - Movie 19: 8/10
Oct 9, 2015 2:00 AM
Mar 2015
I am a huge DC fan, but I'm a bit disappointed about this movie
the mystery bit was too less this time
most of the 7 samurais were poor characters, not enough depth like the other movies
and the criminal revealing part was so short which I was really disappointed, I wished the criminal would use some cool tricks to commit the crime, so when Conan's deduction would be interesting
the suspense at the very end was not as good as the previous movies, still pretty good

oh well, I'm still excited for movie 20 though!!
Oct 11, 2015 11:37 PM
Jan 2015
yeah, except for Inspector Charlie IMO , but I can be bised because I personally like his character..

well , overall , it's not a bad movie , but not that upstanding either if compared to the past movie.. 7/10
Oct 15, 2015 6:16 AM

Nov 2013
Easily one of the most mediocre Conan movies.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Oct 25, 2015 5:35 PM

Mar 2013
Honestly, I felt that this wasn't such a good Conan movie. I enjoyed it but it wasn't like some of the other movies.
Over 19 years of animation, it was surprising to see a couple of really misshaped art. There was this one scene of Haibara's face that looked like she had a butt chin xD
The culprits weren't that interesting and had little impact on the movie. I really enjoyed Kaito Kid and Conan together though. The best part was when Kogoro dived into the water to get Conan. That was so cute because we're so used to Kogoro hitting him and not helping him out of trouble with praise xD
Nonetheless, I will never stop watching Conan! Next movie is going to be epic because it has the Black Organization as the main culprits again!
Oct 31, 2015 3:01 AM

Dec 2010
Most disappointing movie for me. Gave it a 6/10 after an internal debate.
There wasn't enough action for me. Maybe because my expectations were high but I felt that the movie lacked more KID-ness. Lost Ship in the Sky was far more entertaining.
The culprit/s in this movie was also really weak. They didn't have an elaborate enough plan to warrant a movie.
Hope the next movie is worth the wait. I was having high expectations from this... since KID is in it.
Nov 14, 2015 6:47 AM

Dec 2014
"I will make sure not to have any regrets." - Haibara Ai

Pls.... Pls..... Pls.....

Conan x Ai....
Please!
<3
Nov 15, 2015 3:52 PM

Jan 2008
Much better than the last movie, IMO. It's always fun seeing Kaito Kid impersonating Shinichi. Wasn't expecting some Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation-type action--that was really pretty awesome. I'm curious at what Sonoko thinks about Shinichi now, when she saw him (Kid) fly out of a freaking plane with no chute. I don't think she put two and two together, as far as I can tell.

A nice little Conan x Ai moment there too, one in the museum, and another after the credits.

DiabloMask said:
Also, they didn't explain the truth behind what happened with the 2 billions that flew off the window! what the heck!
Yeah, that's one thing I don't get. What was Kid's purpose for the insane amount of money? I assume it was just meant to be a distraction, with 300 Million yen being understandable, since it was the price Jirokichi bought it for, but there's really no reason for 10 billion. All of which, is now blown out the window. I'm actually surprised that the crowd below weren't clamoring for the money that was literally raining bills. I would have totally been like "Hey look, it's Kid!" while grabbing the money while everyone else is occupied.

Also, when did Conan's belt get upgraded to house a 2nd ball? I thought it can only one one at a time like his dart watch?
Estoy_GordoNov 15, 2015 4:22 PM
Nov 19, 2015 11:01 PM

Feb 2011
DiabloMask said:
I'm totally disappointed, this is the first movie without a murder case, and the case didn't make sense to me, it was totally stupid, especially Kaito Kid, why the heck didn't he tell Conan directly in the message instead of using a riddle?!

One thing I liked though (and it could be only me), Agasa used to have a childish side in his character and acted more like a comic relief character in the early episodes of the series (including the first few movies), but later on he turned to a Santa Claus-like character, you could call it a development but I don't like it to be honest.
Anyway, he kinda returned to his old personality in this movie, which is good in my opinion.

Nov 19, 2015 11:45 PM

Nov 2014
Where did you guys download a movie with subs?

Nov 25, 2015 6:45 AM

Jan 2012
kid was too soft in this movie,well conan used more of super man power than investigate .

Nov 26, 2015 2:07 AM

Jan 2015
Well let's forget about all the general ridiculousness Conan pulls, like Shinichi and Kaitou looking exactly the same or the Suzuki Chairman throwing money around for the latest completely nonsensical scheme. The culprits motives made no sense. Kid was acting weirdly too with that money demand. There was no murder case and of the side characters only Azuma and Charlie were explored at all. The action wasn't that good either. All in all it was the first Conan movie I considered giving a 5/10.
Nov 26, 2015 12:57 PM

Nov 2008
This one was lots of fun! I just got the Blue-ray and the visuals and sound were great. This was almost more Kid's movie than Conan's, particularly for the first half when Conan was mainly the watching the action from a distance.

It's also fun to watch the previews after watching the movie - the previews were so full of misdirection and pretty much pure BS that it is hilarious. Everyone needs to keep that in mind for the previews for movie 20...

The extra DVD disc contained previews and two more things - the episode where "Uncle Scrooge" brings in "The Scream" and two other Munch paintings, and also a "Community Service" short in which Conan catches a guy filming a movie from within a theatre and points out that it is a crime. The "Camera Guy" then turns out to be Kid who points out that downloading movies is an even bigger crime. It ends with Conan telling the viewers "Don't steal movies!" LOL
Dec 15, 2015 9:58 PM

Oct 2011
Can't wait for the next movie
Dec 21, 2015 9:01 PM

Jan 2008
Dec 24, 2015 1:17 AM
Aug 2010
starocean1998 said:
why would natsumi miyadai be the culprit and what about her motive?

I know right. The only proofs were Kaitou recognised her voice and his assistant found incriminating data on her computer. Third rate mystery. And her motive? HAHAHA! Completely phoned in, ridiculous, irrelevant, and unforeshadowed. Disappointing. I still <3 Conan movies though. <3

Panaru said:
Ugh, Hayashibara Megumi is such a goddess. Ai never has enough lines.

YES!

Dec 31, 2015 9:59 PM

Nov 2014
Meh, this was an underwhelming movie.

Jan 7, 2016 3:46 AM

Jun 2011
The only good thing about this movie is Conan x Ai moments. I totally ship them~
Jan 9, 2016 1:44 AM

May 2012
My AiCon ship is sailing <3

Jan 21, 2016 4:17 AM

Oct 2011
The only DC movie that I watched with the player at x3 speed & even wondered whether I should just skip through :/

I wonder if they'll make the story of Jii being in that fire part of the main manga (the only good thing in this movie - especially for being a Kaitou-sama movie it was a big disappointment)

Jan 21, 2016 4:28 AM

Jan 2016
3/5 i'm a bit disappointed since DC movies are most of the time awesome and entertaining.
Anyway looking forward to the 20th movie. I'm sure they have something big and great planned for it.
Jan 27, 2016 2:19 AM
May 2009
The worst DC movie out of the 19. I mean even the TV 2 Hours specials are better than this. Its such a shame. I really enjoy the DC Movies. I love how they always chose a different setting for each movie. But the premise of this one was dull.

Even the final bit with Conan in the water, and everyone is crying out his name similar to the 15 minutes, it just didn't have that kind of impact, even though once again he was saved by his inflatable football belt.

20th Movie I hope is more exciting.
Jan 29, 2016 2:23 PM

Jun 2010
There's even less going on with the characters than in most Detective Conan films. Charlie's the only one with any characterization and that's one-note, repeated too often, and doesn't really go anywhere, especially it's obvious that Kid wasn't the one putting people's lives at risk (as if this series would take a chance like that). And the real culprit doesn't have any character at all!
Apr 5, 2016 2:03 AM
Jan 2008
If I have to be completely neutral, this movie is crap. I gave it 3/5 because KID-sama is at least worth 3 points. The plot sucks. And I'm sure everybody knows that they simply put Kaitou KID in there to milk fangirls' wallets (KaiShin fandom went crazy over it), otherwise I see no reason why the movie sold so well... they made more money with this than the previous movie.

Character wise Conan and Ai are just... not their usual intellectual self. Rather than a detective, Conan felt like an audience at a KID's show. and KID? Super cool (that opening really reminds me of AoT) but also felt OOC at the same time... it's like they built up the suspense just for the sake of building it and then BAM! Super weak and lame closure. And don't get me started on that girl's motive for destroying the painting... geez. I do love the Conan x Ai moments though. Also loved the theme song, the lyrics was perfect (the KaiShin fandom loved it, but I can see why the general audience would find the song unfitting).

In terms of the Kaitou KID movies, plot-wise this one was definitely worst despite KID had the most screen time in this one. Counting only the KID movies, my favourite is definitely 14 (love the humour), then 3, 8, 10, with 19 as the last one because the plot was just... irk.

I'll shamefully admit that I watched this Sunflower movie THREE times in TOKYO last year because I'm a hopeless Kaitou KID fangirl... Well, voice acting was excellent as usual so it was totally worth it. But I'll also admit that I fall asleep for maybe 15 minutes during the third run when KID wasn't on the screen, lol. Plot was simply boring at best.
sherri-chanApr 5, 2016 2:12 AM
May 7, 2016 11:41 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Too much action which overshadowed the mystery and motive...which were laughably bad. Quite disappointing...
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jun 3, 2016 9:43 AM

Jul 2012
As usual, the mystery is always a bit weak but I enjoyed the concept and suspense of this movie enough to give it a 7/10 especially the last few parts that made me tear up legit.
Jun 8, 2016 8:34 PM

Jan 2013
What happened to those cut scenes from the previews? Kid was way more sinister.
Jun 9, 2016 9:50 AM
Oct 2014
Thought it was interesting to note, that based off the hundreds of millions that Jirokichi bought the painting for with little care, it would seem as if he was worth billions if not tens of billions of dollars.

It has always been obvious that Sonoko's family were very rich, but I haven't seen any evidence that they were billionaires, at least outside of the movies anyway.

Seems a little unrealistic to me.
HikariGoJun 9, 2016 10:02 AM
Aug 11, 2016 9:41 AM

Jul 2013
I love that ending song! Anyway, this movie was decent but more on the average side. It was not particularly interesting, there was one murder which was placed to the side, and I ont even remember most of the new cast's faces anymore.
Kaito is one of my favorite characters in this show since he adds twists to it :) I knew one of those Kid cards have to be fake. Also love it when Kid and Conan team up.
On the other hand, I'm so tired of Ran going "Conan-kun! Conan-kun!" and the power of love and shit.
The only part I liked in this movie was the KaiShin teamwork and finally a somewhat competent person on the security force, inspector Charlie. The culprit was so predictable I was suspicious of them from the plane ride already. I wish Kaito had more scenes in this and I wish the detective boys were not present in the movie because they serve no purpose. Can't wait for the next movie with Bourbon and Akai in it!
Aug 16, 2016 7:48 AM
Jun 2016
I dont get it why people dont like this movie...it really was a great movie...and in terms of Kaito Kid...this was my fav Kid movie...where it is kid who dominates the show...He is too good :-)

It was not the usual kid movie with his old tricks which is quite repetetive...it was something new and fresh

It had a touching story....For KID and the touching story and beautiful potrayal of van gogh painting

i give it a 10
Sep 5, 2016 6:19 AM

Jul 2008
Big letdown after coming off movie 18. The true villain was really weak and pathetic. Most of the movie villains have more depth to them. She was pathetic.

"I really love Van Gogh too much so I bombed a plane and a museum and nearly killed hundreds of people to destroy his paintings because I just love Van Gogh too much."

I mean that's just weaksauce.

Conan REALLY should have called Ran after the plane crash to tell her that it was KID in New York and on the plane and not him. Good work there pal.

The Kid parts in the movie were good, but it didn't really save the movie for me. 5/10
Nov 2, 2016 11:25 PM

May 2014
Eh that was alright, I guess. One of the weakest DC movies I think, this was just so unrealistic... but it was interesting at least. 7/10
Jul 25, 2017 7:04 PM

Jan 2009
Yuukiqueen said:
Hy all where can I see the movie online?
If someone knows pls tell me, thanks

https://gogoanime.io
With extra buffering
https://www.kizimi.com/watch.php?vid=0cddd710d

1. Who was Charlie talking to on the payphone and did the parking lot meeting go done?
2. Kid sent cryptic message(s) so only certain people (Conan?) would be able to figure it out.
3. I thought someone disguised as kid was trying to frame Kid. Didn't they have a similar evil kid stealing painting or something else in the manga or other movie?
4. Agasa got a ticket but was not shown at the museum, why?
5. How did Kid get the painting into the hotel? Nice touch with room 1412=kid.
6. I thought the guy Ji was impersonating was kid or a bad guy.
7. I thought Charlie was a bad guy.
8. I thought the kid cards would be discovered as fake because the drawing of kid had a defect. I think they did the fake kid card thing in the manga were the drawing was fake.
9. Spoof on how shinichi and kaito supposedly look a like.
10. The last super painting in hotel possibly foreshadowing.
11. Why did the guys brother tell him to run after being shot instead of being sent to hospital? There were not witnesses so it could have been discribed as an accident to the paramedics.

JersaniJul 25, 2017 8:17 PM
This sums up the YuYu Hakusho anime well (paraphrased) “you can’t end a good party without someone on the floor.” Yusuke Urameshi
Nov 17, 2017 5:36 AM
Nov 2014
It was okay, not the worst dc movie(that title belongs to movie 17) the action was good and charlie was an interesting character.

6/10
Feb 28, 2021 10:08 PM
Jul 2014
wow, i really dont understand why so many people hate this movie; it was really good. I think Conan movies are better when they are focused in the action factor, because that's what differentiates them form the series. Yes, it was obvious that Kaito Kid wasn't the bad guy, but the same movie say that in the first minutes, with Conan saying thigs like probably must be a double of Kid.
Mar 21, 2021 10:52 PM
Sep 2020
is this movie canon?
I mean at the end the reason for Kaito's action is related to jii's past
but jii's past is not even explained in the main series Kaito or Conan, but instead appears in this movie
so is this canon?
Sep 26, 2021 7:36 AM
Dec 2020
I was screaming for the Co-Ai scenes, which were really good.
Dec 2, 2022 5:39 AM

Jul 2011
I think the culprit has the worst motive from all the movies I have seen so far.

Funny how most cases in the main anime have the culprits being sympathic while in the movies they are so much worse.
Jan 1, 2023 6:34 PM

Jan 2012
This film was largely just kinda there for me. I'm not all that into Kaitou Kid as a character, and the motivation of the culprit felt rather flimsy at best. Artsy fartsy high concept nonsense only there to move the plot along. The reasoning for portraying Kid as more openly malevolent in his heist attempts early on also felt weak. I'd have preferred a better justification or a twist. The action sequences seemed less impactful than usual, the one with the plane early on probably being the best. There were a few nice Ran x Shinichi moments, Ran collapsing in tearful relief after speaking with Shinichi being my favorite part of the entire film, and a baffling Haibara x Conan ship moment involving an old woman. Do these movie writers know that ship ain't happening? Because they should. The movie felt overly long, which is never a good sign. Nor is the fact that I'm more or less already out of things to say about it. Not the best movie to ring in the new year with, but oh well. Generous 6/10.
animefan8800Jan 1, 2023 6:43 PM
May 13, 2023 10:58 AM
May 2023
nice story with great visuals and action.

More topics from this board

» Detective Conan Movie 19 official poster

AllenVonStein - Dec 1, 2014

5 by Shaorina »»
Sep 14, 2015 7:35 AM

» Teaser

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2014

10 by Yuukiqueen »»
Jul 30, 2015 3:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.