Forum Settings
Forums

Are fansubbers/translators crucial to think about?

New
Jun 26, 2015 9:44 AM

May 2011
Somehow I never considered them before downloading any torrents before... I know there's a voting system here for the ones people like most, but is it really crucual? Did anyone ever find out any anime kind of ruined because of their translation?
Jun 26, 2015 9:47 AM

Feb 2013
not so crucial to think about for new series.. most are officially subbed by crunchy/funi and ripped by horriblesubs anyway
old timers might have stronger opinions on subs, but anyone finding "anime ruined because of their [fansub] translation" is overreacting imo
Jun 26, 2015 9:51 AM
Jul 2018
Yeah, a certain fansub ruins a certain animu.
Jun 26, 2015 9:54 AM

Nov 2008
Inaccurate translations and ignored honorifics drive me INSANE because I'm at the level of recognizing much Japanese....so yes, I'm picky about fansub groups.

Jun 26, 2015 9:59 AM

Oct 2012
I think it is important to an extent, some sub groups are better than others and I try and get the best experience possible. I do avoid Commie because I loathe their 'le epic maymay XD' subs and sometimes loose translations.
Jun 26, 2015 10:05 AM

Jul 2007
It honestly doesn't matter as much anymore as it used to. Back in the day, pre-2010 i'd say, different translations by fansubs could be very different and really effect your enjoyment of a show. Most subs now though are rips from pro-translated simulcasts so differences are more minor. Font, typesetting for signs and on screen text, honorifics and other small editing changes are the main differences for between most groups for recent series. Even if you are downloading anime from before 2010 you will honestly have a hard time finding any active downloads for anything other than than best couple of groups so you don't need to worry about it too much.
Jun 26, 2015 10:14 AM

Jun 2014
yes, funimation rips ruin anime for me
:3
Jun 26, 2015 2:05 PM

Jul 2013
Ewwww, funi translations
Just an anime fan, doing what an anime fan does
Jun 26, 2015 2:07 PM
Jul 2018
alpha_shadow said:

Strikefreedom117 said:
Ewwww, funi translations

Funi isn't fansub y'know
Jun 26, 2015 2:35 PM

Jul 2013
People who think bad subs can't ruin shows are the lucky ones, man.
Cherish this pure state, but shut up about it in the meantime.
Jun 26, 2015 2:37 PM

Apr 2013
_Charl said:
alpha_shadow said:

Strikefreedom117 said:
Ewwww, funi translations

Funi isn't fansub y'know

>"Are fansubbers/translators crucial to think about?"

Fail.
Jun 26, 2015 2:39 PM

Feb 2013
bluzz said:
http://i57.tinypic.com/20sziau.jpg
yeah i still think you be overreacting if you think that pic = ruined show
no one took YKA that seriously in the first episodes, and the later episodes don't have any joke subs
Jun 26, 2015 2:42 PM
Mar 2011
pro translations are not alot of time not that accurate at all
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jun 26, 2015 2:49 PM
Jul 2018
deanzel said:

Fail.

my bad m8 ;)
Jun 26, 2015 2:54 PM

Mar 2015
welcome to the southeast asia. land of pirates. and of course they have a lot fansubbers with different speed, quality, and creatifity. you can chose whatever you want. but internet are late in here. so, don't have big hope for older anime.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jun 26, 2015 2:57 PM

Jul 2013
romagia said:
bluzz said:
http://i57.tinypic.com/20sziau.jpg
no one took YKA that seriously in the first episodes, and the later episodes don't have any joke subs

I was going to post more examples but tinypic isn't working. That picture is hardly the only thing wrong with that sub. The next line is "Ich will protect you".
That's probably a Rammstein reference but "will" means want in German and it doesn't have any place in a sub to begin with.
A 4 minute look at the first episode has them translating "kuma" to "kuma", "gau" to "kuma" and "*grunting noise* to "and hopp!".
Jun 26, 2015 2:59 PM

Mar 2014
Fansubbers > Funi's translators
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jun 26, 2015 3:02 PM
Jul 2018
get off from funi's dick
they will plow your ass
hope they don't pick a certain sol cartoon
Jun 26, 2015 3:07 PM

Mar 2015
offmodel said:
Unyilkdr said:
welcome to the southeast asia. land of pirates. and of course they have a lot fansubbers with different speed, quality, and creatifity. you can chose whatever you want. but internet are late in here. so, don't have big hope for older anime.
I miss when you could still get dirt cheap VCDs from there on ebay in the U.S. That is still the only way Red Photon Zillion ever got subbed AFAIK.
pfft, you still can find it, but not overseas anymore. police can use internet too now.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jun 26, 2015 3:31 PM

Jul 2007
Only grab subs from certain groups, but mostly i just watch on/with Crunchyroll subs. When i look for older shows though i tend to only go for groups that have a pretty good reputation.
Jun 26, 2015 11:20 PM

Jun 2007
The main things to watch for these days are trollsub groups like Commie and (occasionally) FFF, who like to engage in rewrites and add random Intenet memes and other jokes.

Caboose said:
. Even if you are downloading anime from before 2010 you will honestly have a hard time finding any active downloads for anything other than than best couple of groups so you don't need to worry about it too much.
Of course, some shows never got good translations in the first place, like Idolmaster Xenoglossia -- no one ever ripped the R1 DVDs, either.

offmodel said:
I miss when you could still get dirt cheap VCDs from there on ebay in the U.S. That is still the only way Red Photon Zillion ever got subbed AFAIK.
It's been fansubbed as of early 2011.

FGAU1912 said:
Not using honorifics doesn't make a translation inaccurate.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
Jun 26, 2015 11:44 PM

Mar 2013
If you've never seen something ruined by shitty translation, clearly you've never seen Funi's Owari no Seraph subs, or that one fansub for the first episode of yuri kuma arashi.

The former is just really stupid, the latter is straight up unwatchable.
Jun 27, 2015 8:47 AM
Mar 2011
Zalis said:
The main things to watch for these days are trollsub groups like Commie and (occasionally) FFF, who like to engage in rewrites and add random Intenet memes and other jokes.

Caboose said:
. Even if you are downloading anime from before 2010 you will honestly have a hard time finding any active downloads for anything other than than best couple of groups so you don't need to worry about it too much.
Of course, some shows never got good translations in the first place, like Idolmaster Xenoglossia -- no one ever ripped the R1 DVDs, either.

offmodel said:
It's been fansubbed as of early 2011.

FGAU1912 said:
Not using honorifics doesn't make a translation inaccurate.

thats not the issue iv seen some of HS work and there riipped form CR and there not perfect translation by any means of the word
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Jun 27, 2015 12:52 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
All I have to say is read this and enjoy:

http://www.crymore.net/2012/10/05/fansub-review-hadena-shinsekai-yori-from-the-new-world-episode-01/

tl;dr - yes it fucking matters alright
Jun 27, 2015 1:08 PM

Jun 2008
romagia said:
anyone finding "anime ruined because of their [fansub] translation" is overreacting imo

I take it you never watched a Hong Kong sub.
Jun 27, 2015 1:53 PM
Mar 2011
and plus fan subbers sub more han pro subbers do Ginga ei den for exmaple no one pro has touched it while some older stuff has been touced by pros odd that

Jun 27, 2015 1:59 PM

Oct 2013
Yes imo though its mostly due to the font used, how the subs are placed an so on. Some do it extremely well and blend the subs in to the environment and so on.

Horrible subs just give you the subs and don't give a fuck about placement lol
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Jun 27, 2015 3:45 PM

Jan 2011
Hong Kong subs, that is all.
Jun 27, 2015 5:24 PM

Jan 2015
_Charl said:

That made me cringe.

Anyways, sometimes I like the different takes on things because if I see something in the sub that I don't like or that doesn't sound right to me/match their personality, I always just think "It can be translated differently, the real meaning the writer meant to give was different/better." So I just use it as an excuse to bend it towards my ideal dialogue...selfishly.
the40ftbadger said:
i have palpable amounts of salt for FO4.
It's like a clown put on my dead dad's clothes and is running around my house going "LOOK I'M YOUR DAD, ISN'T THIS FUN?!?!"

Jun 27, 2015 5:28 PM

Feb 2013
kuchitsu said:
romagia said:
anyone finding "anime ruined because of their [fansub] translation" is overreacting imo

I take it you never watched a Hong Kong sub.
i think that's how i watched LOGH; there were some iffy translations here and there, but it was rather understandable
but now that you mention it.. are there anime where the infamous hong kong sub is the only version?
Jun 27, 2015 6:18 PM

Feb 2013
offmodel said:
romagia said:

but now that you mention it.. are there anime where the infamous hong kong sub is the only version?

The third, Pink Jacket Lupin III series used to be one, but I was looking around a few weeks ago, and saw that it's on Hulu now. A lot of stuff has gotten subbed in the last 5 years, it's hard to keep up with.
so we live in the golden age of subs!
Jun 27, 2015 6:23 PM
Jul 2018
bluzz said:
romagia said:

I was going to post more examples but tinypic isn't working. That picture is hardly the only thing wrong with that sub. The next line is "Ich will protect you".
That's probably a Rammstein reference but "will" means want in German and it doesn't have any place in a sub to begin with.
A 4 minute look at the first episode has them translating "kuma" to "kuma", "gau" to "kuma" and "*grunting noise* to "and hopp!".

That sub was done incredibly quickly for people who couldn't wait, by people who translated it from the German translation. If you were willing to wait more than a couple hours to see the damn episode, you could have watched an actually decent sub.

I've never been very bothered by bad subs. At the very worse, you can still extract the meaning from the words even if there are slight grammar errors and syntax issues.
Jun 29, 2015 11:49 PM

Jun 2007
FGAU1912 said:
and plus fan subbers sub more han pro subbers do Ginga ei den for exmaple no one pro has touched it while some older stuff has been touced by pros odd that
It's not odd at all, considering that fansubbers are free to work on whatever they like, whereas the pros aren't going to tackle titles without marketability or profit potential.

Jun 29, 2015 11:55 PM

Mar 2013
I don't really care just as long as they aren't meme subs. I download HorribleSubs for example which is hated by most.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Jun 30, 2015 12:06 AM
Mar 2011
Zalis said:
FGAU1912 said:
It's not odd at all, considering that fansubbers are free to work on whatever they like, whereas the pros aren't going to tackle titles without marketability or profit potential.

its clled testing the market friend h= when i say pr in this conect i mean cr i bet not all stuff they strem goes to home video in the end
DateYutakaJun 30, 2015 12:16 AM

Jun 30, 2015 12:12 AM
Jul 2018
bluzz said:
romagia said:

I actually enjoyed the subs for the first episode.
Jul 3, 2015 12:28 PM

Jun 2007
FGAU1912 said:
Zalis said:

its clled testing the market friend h= when i say pr in this conect i mean cr i bet not all stuff they strem goes to home video in the end
I guess we were both wrong about LoGH:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-07-02/sentai-filmworks-adds-legend-of-the-galactic-heroes-higurashi-anime/.89987

Jul 3, 2015 1:49 PM

Jun 2008
romagia said:

There are quite a few. From my memory: G-On Riders, Doki Doki Densetsu Mahoujin Guru Guru (incomplete "proper" sub exists too), Ginga Sengoku Gunyuuden Rai. I'm sure people who are into obscure stuff can name a lot more.

It's true that not all HK subs are terrible and I guess most of them can at least give you an idea of what's going on. For me that's not enough tho, I want to see subs with rich vocabulary and emotional expressions, otherwise everything just seems kinda soulless imo.
Jul 3, 2015 2:08 PM

Apr 2014
Ofcourse they are crucial. Without them a lot of anime fans wouldn't have started watching anime since all free sites to watch anime (Except for crunchyroll) use fansubs.
Jul 3, 2015 2:10 PM
Jul 2018
Milk_is_Special said:
Ofcourse they are crucial. Without them a lot of anime fans wouldn't have started watching anime since all free sites to watch anime (Except for crunchyroll) use fansubs.

funi makes me hate anime ;_;
Jul 4, 2015 7:41 AM

Apr 2014
_Charl said:

COULDNT AGREE NO MORE
Signature of three years-or-so was removed

here's my new one

Thank you and have a nice day, everyone.

More topics from this board

» why is myanimelist aka mal not popular in china?

deg - 12 hours ago

22 by TsutanaiFuun »»
53 seconds ago

» Happy Mother's Day, Who Are Anime's Best Moms ?

tchitchouan - Today

20 by 3miL »»
4 minutes ago

» List of canceled anime.

ZXEAN - 10 hours ago

32 by deg »»
26 minutes ago

» What is your first anime and when did you start it? ( 1 2 3 )

Pinoffin - Mar 26

108 by BatoKusanagi »»
43 minutes ago

» Which of your favorite anime actually has the most interesting story?

WatchTillTandava - 1 hour ago

3 by Rhae »»
43 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.