Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 1, 2015 2:28 PM

Apr 2014
The vast majority of the time, spoilers have only worked against me and sometimes ruined the entire viewing experience. A few spoiled anime that I can recall but still enjoyed were Higurashi, Clannad, and Akame Ga Kill.

However, though super rare, sometimes when I get spoiled about an anime, I actually end up enjoying it more than I would have not spoiled. The one that clearly comes to mind is Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. The spoiler made me pay attention to smaller details and hints I would have missed about the ending, and when the plot twist was revealed, I felt it had more impact than it would have if I wasn't spoiled.

The same can be applied to anime that "spoil" you in the first episode like Gungrave and Berserk, whereas they show events in the story that happen much later on.

But what about you guys? Have you ever been spoiled for the better? Any peculiar situations? Or are all spoilers in general bad and should be avoided at all costs?
Tell Protaku these things.
Jun 1, 2015 2:30 PM

Sep 2014
No, spoilers are bad and every person who spoilers should be executed
Jun 1, 2015 2:32 PM

Jun 2012
I guess it depends on individuals. Some people seek out spoilers because they motivate them to watch certain anime, and some people despise them.

I don't like spoilers of any kind. Only time I ask for them is when I feel like I didn't fully understand the anime.
Jun 1, 2015 2:35 PM

May 2015
Sometimes I don't like a series at first and someone spoil me about something interesting.
Personally, I don't mind spoilers at all, unless they completely ruin the story for you.
Jun 1, 2015 2:36 PM

Mar 2013
Let's try an experiment and find out
Jun 1, 2015 2:39 PM

Feb 2015
Not for me. I don't like getting spoiled, I can even find anime less enjoyable because of them. People should learn to use freaking spoiler tags.
Jun 1, 2015 2:41 PM

Feb 2008
Spoilers can help sometimes. In one show, one of the main characters die, and then they replace him with the twin brother who has the same personality and voice actor. I would probably drop the show if I didn't know it beforehand, but this way I knew it would be shit so I just laughed at it. It was still a shitty show in the end.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jun 1, 2015 2:47 PM

Sep 2014
ZetaZaku said:
Spoilers can help sometimes. In one show, one of the main characters die, and then they replace him with the twin brother who has the same personality and voice actor. I would probably drop the show if I didn't know it beforehand, but this way I knew it would be shit so I just laughed at it. It was still a shitty show in the end.

It wasn't that much worse than your favourite Zeta. You're exaggerating.
Jun 1, 2015 2:47 PM

Jun 2014
guywholikesanime said:

when I hear somebody getting spoiled, I pity them -_-
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jun 1, 2015 3:00 PM

Apr 2014
Not really.
Jun 1, 2015 3:03 PM

Feb 2013
yeah really
Jun 1, 2015 3:15 PM

Dec 2010
I mean...if you know what happens beforehand, you would watch the show in a different manner, looking out for foreshadowing and hints that would lead to the spoiler. I like to watch shows like this every once in a while.
I'm in a band! Check it here-
https://fanlink.to/tropicvibez
Jun 1, 2015 3:16 PM

Apr 2012
guywholikesanime said:
No, spoilers are bad and every person who spoils should be executed
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Jun 1, 2015 3:24 PM

Jul 2011
No, like at all.
Jun 1, 2015 3:26 PM

Jan 2014
For me it depends on what show. If I'm spoiled sometimes it will motivate me to get through the show.

Jun 1, 2015 3:27 PM

Jan 2010
Protaku94 said:
The one that clearly comes to mind is Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. The spoiler made me pay attention to smaller details and hints I would have missed about the ending, and when the plot twist was revealed, I felt it had more impact than it would have if I wasn't spoiled.

You get the same experience from watching spoiler-free the first time, then rewatching knowing future events ahead of time. That being said, it requires rewatching, and not everyone's up for it. It's nice to know what to look for, that's for sure. For example, knowing the types of symbolism that appear in Utena helped greatly in identifying them in key moments during my first run through. That doesn't require knowing the solution to the show's mystery though.

The real problem with spoilers is not being able to be surprised. You can't experience the anime as it was intended, so foreshadowing and plot setup get thrown out the window. Still, it what it does do is give a different experience depending on a show. For an anime that depends on shock value and lots of tragedies, knowing spoilers ahead of time would actually turn the show into an inevitable downward spiral. You know what's going to happen, and there's nothing anyone can do about it. All you can do is prepare yourself, as the viewer, for what's to come. It's different than getting blindsided by the plot, but at the same time, you run the risk of just waiting around for something to happen. It becomes less about the ending and more about the build up getting there, but for shows which are built around the ending, the journey there will be a long crawl full of "yeah, yeah, I know what's gonna happen, get to it already."

For shows with death spoilers, it's hard to get attached to anyone since you know they won't be sticking around. With shows whose final villain is a mystery, the whole mystery becomes pointless, as it becomes a waiting game for the characters to figure it out. When done intentionally, like a historical show that treats future events like destiny, it becomes a show about inevitability. When done unintentionally, such as a show making things too obvious or the viewer knowing spoilers ahead of time, you might just be bored out of your mind waiting for things to happen.
ShockedJun 1, 2015 5:52 PM
Jun 1, 2015 4:49 PM

Apr 2014
Shocked said:
Protaku94 said:
The one that clearly comes to mind is Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. The spoiler made me pay attention to smaller details and hints I would have missed about the ending, and when the plot twist was revealed, I felt it had more impact than it would have if I wasn't spoiled.

You get the same experience from watching spoiler-free the first time, then rewatching knowing future events ahead of time. That being said, it requires rewatching, and not everyone's up for it. It's nice to know what to look for, that's for sure. For example, knowing the types of symbolism that appear in Utena helped greatly in identifying them in key moments during my first run through. That doesn't require knowing the solution to the show's mystery though.

The real problem with spoilers is not knowing being able to be surprised. You can't experience the anime as it was intended, so foreshadowing and plot setup get thrown out the window. Still, it what it does do is give a different experience depending on a show. For an anime that depends on shock value and lots of tragedies, knowing spoilers ahead of time would actually turn the show into an inevitable downward spiral. You know what's going to happen, and there's nothing anyone can do about it. All you can do is prepare yourself, as the viewer, for what's to come. It's different than getting blindsided by the plot, but at the same time, you run the risk of just waiting around for something to happen. It becomes less about the ending and more about the build up getting there, but for shows which are built around the ending, the journey there will be a long crawl full of "yeah, yeah, I know what's gonna happen, get to it already."

For shows with death spoilers, it's hard to get attached to anyone since you know they won't be sticking around. With shows whose final villain is a mystery, the whole mystery becomes pointless, as it becomes a waiting game for the characters to figure it out. When done intentionally, like a historical show that treats future events like destiny, it becomes a show about inevitability. When done unintentionally, such as a show making things too obvious or the viewer knowing spoilers ahead of time, you might just be bored out of your mind waiting for things to happen.

I don't really tend to rewatch shows, but this time around for Tokyo Magnitude, I felt like I got both the experiences of watching it spoiler free and the rewatch experience. That's kind of what made the show so peculiar for me.

But yeah, 98% of the time spoilers just ruin the show in it's entirety for me. I don't even bother really with shows that were spoiled for me before I watched them. I consider even small things huge spoilers.
Jun 1, 2015 4:51 PM

Apr 2013
I got spoiled about Kagura in the Yoshiwara in flames arc and it only made me want to watch it more.
Jun 1, 2015 5:41 PM

Jan 2014
No. Never. Evil can never be good.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jun 1, 2015 5:54 PM
Jul 2018
I've never been overly bothered about spoilers. Even if I know what's going to happen, seeing the events that lead up to it is still equally enjoyable, and I don't think I feel any less involvement in the build-up and inevitable conclusion even if I know it will happen before seeing it with my own eyes. If it's quality, it's still good regardless of what I know about it.

One series I do think was ruined for me by spoilers though was Samurai Flamenco. I wouldn't have watched it had it not been for the spoilers so I'm not too upset about it, but knowing what was going to happen beforehand made it lose its effect completely. If a plot twist relies entirely on being unexpected, as the Samurai Flamenco one did, then it's no good anymore if it's spoiled. That's the only case where I don't like spoilers.
Jun 1, 2015 5:59 PM

Aug 2014
Nah. But some shows should be spoiled so no one wastes time watching them.
Sieg Zeon!
Jun 1, 2015 6:02 PM

Jan 2009
i mostly look for spoilers anyway so it does not bother me, im one of the few that enjoys spoilers

heck source material (manga/VN/LN/games) readers/players already spoiled themselves but they still watch and enjoy the anime adaptation anyway
Jun 1, 2015 6:05 PM

Mar 2012
I'm spoiler hunter myself. If I want to watch anime then I will hunt for necessary info beforehand. That way I will know what I'm going to get and I can set level of expectation.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jun 1, 2015 6:08 PM

Oct 2014
Nah, if there are merits, it' usually connected with some demerits, but depending on the individual the spoilers can keep the enjoyment, or - in very few cases - even enhance it.

Well F/Z spoils F/sn:UBW, but in a way... when I read the VN, even though I was spoilt by F/Z the connections where kind of intersting and so on...

OH NO! What have I done?! *goes into cover*

No, seriously, go with F/sn first if you can.
Jun 1, 2015 6:10 PM

Dec 2012
I'm personally fine with spoilers, they get me hyped up on when they're coming.
Jun 2, 2015 9:17 AM

Jun 2014
I think it depends on the situation. I only know one anime that I got spoiled and it actually made it better and that anime is Kanon. I knew what'll happen to Makoto when I started watching and I cried 3 episodes non-stop because of this. The way Makoto gets more and more childish touched my feels too deep.
SpectererJun 2, 2015 9:21 AM
*Facepalm*
Jun 2, 2015 9:19 AM

Jun 2014
Jun 2, 2015 9:22 AM
Nov 2014
spoilers only make anime better in a sense that you won't piss out your eyes after watching clannad as or anohana, but mostly spoilers are shit.
The first time I had sex was like my first time riding a bike, my dad was holding me from behind
Jun 2, 2015 9:23 AM

Nov 2014
When it comes to romance anime, I like knowing if there's any actual romance in it ahead of time since a lot of so-called romance titles only go as far as calling someone by their first name or hand holding. Other than that, I prefer to know as little as possible about an anime. Sometimes I won't even read the synopsis, and go solely by art work, genre, and rating. It's more fun when everything is a surprise.
Jun 2, 2015 9:34 AM

Aug 2014
Yes it really can for me.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Jun 2, 2015 9:39 AM

Jan 2013
It can make you avoid some anime for your own good.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Jun 2, 2015 9:42 AM

Apr 2013
no
Jun 2, 2015 9:51 AM

Nov 2014
Nah Spoilers should be banned from this world. It wouldn't be exciting if the most interesting part was spoiled. I often see on the internet (raw materials) something that could be a threat of spoiling the story and it's unavoidable.

This is why the "spoiler" system was made to avoid such happenings and the inevitability of having spoiled on the spot.
Jcrisier-sanJun 2, 2015 9:56 AM
Jun 2, 2015 10:23 AM

Jul 2010
guywholikesanime said:
Jun 2, 2015 10:28 AM
Jan 2015
I don't think so.
Jun 2, 2015 10:42 AM

Mar 2014
I personally don't really mind spoilers. I don't think they can make a show any better or worse.
Jun 2, 2015 10:44 AM

Jan 2011
Ironically, I was spoiled for the two of my favourite anime ever (Clannad AS and Death Note). That said, I'm surprised you still managed to enjoy Clannad and Higurashi even after getting spoiled
Jun 2, 2015 10:47 AM
Jan 2015
Yes. It got me through the borefest that was School Days after learning what happened to Makoto at the end.
Jun 2, 2015 10:52 AM

Dec 2013
Yeah, defintiely, sometimes.

The only reason why I sticked to Tokyo Ghoul is to see the last episode and how certain events play out.

More topics from this board

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 4 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
3 minutes ago

» Which 3 unpopular anime from the late 90s-mid 00s would you recommend?

WitherThrakh - Apr 13

21 by xqXpx »»
8 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

226 by Jackson1333 »»
11 minutes ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

68 by ToG25thBaam »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 10 hours ago

37 by xqXpx »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.