Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 1, 2015 8:26 PM

Feb 2013
Bloodshade said:
NTAD said:
You can use a USB. I just always had a CD since I made it when Windows 7 first launched and it was the first thing that came to mind. The USB option is there for folks who don't have an optical drive or anyone that just want that instead.

Do you know if installing windows 10 on one drive will effect games/apps/pics/music on a separate internal drive?
Pics and music, no. But your games and apps are typically installed according to the OS you're running. The issue you could possibly run into will be some programs not working until they're patched to work with Windows 10. I'm already anticipating problems with some legacy programs I'm running, but that will be a minor issue.
Jun 1, 2015 9:47 PM

Dec 2014
NTAD said:
Bloodshade said:

Do you know if installing windows 10 on one drive will effect games/apps/pics/music on a separate internal drive?
Pics and music, no. But your games and apps are typically installed according to the OS you're running. The issue you could possibly run into will be some programs not working until they're patched to work with Windows 10. I'm already anticipating problems with some legacy programs I'm running, but that will be a minor issue.

I just hope I won't have to reinstall all my steam games. That would be a pain. I think I've made my decision regarding win 10. I'll wait a few months before I choose to install it.
Jun 1, 2015 11:52 PM

Mar 2008
I wonder why they are setting up reservations when its just a download?

Know said:
My brother was jealous of the free win10 update since he uses mac and I use win8.1. Good for you then.
Mac has had free upgrades for a while now long before Windows has done this and even before then the upgrades were cheaper than Windows. Unless you mean he just would rather use windows, which he still can do on a apple computer but not for free unless he can get ahold of a product key that is already active.
Jun 2, 2015 2:02 AM
Jul 2018
traed said:

increasing awareness.
Jun 2, 2015 5:18 AM
May 2009
edwd2 said:
traed said:

increasing awareness.

Trying to get people to move on to 10. so that they can increase other crap on my windows.
Jun 2, 2015 5:20 AM

Aug 2014
You could see the desperation Microsoft is pulling just to boost its sales...
Jun 2, 2015 7:03 AM

Aug 2014
i reserved it.....gonna try it..why not
Jun 2, 2015 2:31 PM

Dec 2013
I was prompted a few days ago and reserved it. I just built this computer a few weeks ago with 8.1 too.
Jun 2, 2015 2:48 PM
Jun 2, 2015 3:48 PM

May 2010

None of these things are bad, though, except for the DVD thing which is already a problem with Windows 8.
Jun 2, 2015 5:38 PM

Mar 2013
Does upgrading OS slow some PC down due to low-medium specs?
Jun 2, 2015 6:01 PM

Dec 2014
I was also wondering when they actually offer the upgrade when its ready will it be available to choose the 64-bit version?

zetsubousei_hero said:

If your pc is quite modern I wouldn't worry about it.
What are your specs?
Jun 2, 2015 6:09 PM
Jul 2012
teruu said:
Nope.

Think this happened because you're using win 8..

doesn't matter what windows you have if you have 7 you'll still get the notification expect if your on windows XP.
Jun 2, 2015 7:55 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
I've known about it for a while... I'll probably upgrade.

Oh, no, not Hearts!!! I could barely stand losing Pinball.
Jun 2, 2015 8:17 PM

Dec 2014
BatoKusanagi said:
I've known about it for a while... I'll probably upgrade.

Oh, no, not Hearts!!! I could barely stand losing Pinball.

I liked pinball.
Jun 2, 2015 9:29 PM

May 2015
Bloodshade said:
NTAD said:

I just hope I won't have to reinstall all my steam games. That would be a pain. I think I've made my decision regarding win 10. I'll wait a few months before I choose to install it.

You most likely will. However you can still access saved files as long as you put the OS on a separate disk or partition. Just make sure when you install the game, you change the games directory to the same directory it was using before. With my system, both operating systems refer to their active partition (the one the OS is installed on) as Drive: C. If I want to install a game that was already on the computer I just change the directory from C: do D: (or whichever your other OS was using, you can find out by navigating through the file explorer).

zetsubousei_hero said:

Windows 10 has half the system requirements for windows 7.

Windows 7-----Minimum RAM------Maximum RAM

32 bit----------2GB-------------------4GB
64 bit----------4GB-------------------16.8 million terabytes

Windows 10

32 bit--------------1GB----------------4GB
64 bit--------------2GB----------------16.8 million terabytes

The install for me varied from a half hour to 45 minutes.
Slightly Dangerous

Jun 2, 2015 10:37 PM

Dec 2014
DragonTamer1 said:
Bloodshade said:

You most likely will. However you can still access saved files as long as you put the OS on a separate disk or partition. Just make sure when you install the game, you change the games directory to the same directory it was using before. With my system, both operating systems refer to their active partition (the one the OS is installed on) as Drive: C. If I want to install a game that was already on the computer I just change the directory from C: do D: (or whichever your other OS was using, you can find out by navigating through the file explorer).

My OS is on drive C. and thats where I'll install windows 10. My steam is installed on c drive as well. However all my games are saved to storage which is Drive F so its a different directory. I assume I'll have to point steam to where my games are when I reinstall it so it will recognize them.
Jun 2, 2015 11:34 PM

Jan 2009
Thrashinuva said:

None of these things are bad, though, except for the DVD thing which is already a problem with Windows 8.
If you can't choose anymore to install whichever Updates whenever you want (manually), then there is a Problem. I already have Pro Versions of Windows, so I might not be affected, unless you can only upgrade to the Home Version.
Jun 2, 2015 11:48 PM

May 2015
I got the invite on my windows 7 pro but I'm not gonna except because it updates whenever it wants to
Jun 3, 2015 12:22 AM

Dec 2014
So if I have win 7 ultimate, when I upgrade do I get the highest version of win 10?
Jun 3, 2015 12:40 AM

Sep 2011
Meh. Sticking to Windows 7. 'Free' my ass. Prob going to bite you in the ass somewhere later.
Jun 4, 2015 6:20 PM
Jan 2014
I tried the 10074 version of Win10 beta.

Installed my own anti-virus (Avast!), and that task eliminated the entire Accessories folder, and deleted stuff like Defrag and Windows Cleanup.

Not ready for prime time yet. Hopefully they will get it working correctly at release date, officially July 29, 2015.

I deleted the Beta and re-installed Ubuntu.

I will admit, many things are improved from earlier versions. Speed of GUI is improved, so the user experience will be somewhat better. Just remember, the underpinnings of Win10 is the NT2 modules, which are already in Win7,8- etc. Microsoft has said so. So all the previous failings you may or may not like will still be there.

If you like Windows, you'll like Win10. But if you're like me, and are not a Windows user, then, it doesn't matter. By giving Win10 away, Microsoft has already said, they intend to commercialize parts of the user experience. That means more of those advertising blurbs than most of you are used to.

Have fun all, I hope you enjoy the products of one of the most corrupt companies in America. Who once charged consumers for their product because the hardware could run MS-Dos, even when it was never installed on it. Who publicly admitted, with much personal back-thumping, that they assisted the NSA in helping them spy on YOU.

I will never run Windows as my day-to-day. I looked at Win10, and was impressed by parts of it. Unimpressed by other parts. When I purchase a Wintel computer, I already know it won't be running Windows when I'm done with it.
Jun 4, 2015 6:20 PM

Feb 2014
Don't trust the beta mean think about your games.
Zero Suit Samus/ Meta Knight
M2k
DBZ
Jun 4, 2015 6:28 PM

Jun 2015
Can't be worse then 8 tbh, I'll probably get it.
Jun 4, 2015 10:44 PM

Dec 2014
KD7BWB said:

Installed my own anti-virus (Avast!), and that task eliminated the entire Accessories folder, and deleted stuff like Defrag and Windows Cleanup.

Not ready for prime time yet. Hopefully they will get it working correctly at release date, officially July 29, 2015.

I will admit, many things are improved from earlier versions. Speed of GUI is improved, so the user experience will be somewhat better. Just remember, the underpinnings of Win10 is the NT2 modules, which are already in Win7,8- etc. Microsoft has said so. So all the previous failings you may or may not like will still be there.

If you like Windows, you'll like Win10. But if you're like me, and are not a Windows user, then, it doesn't matter. By giving Win10 away, Microsoft has already said, they intend to commercialize parts of the user experience. That means more of those advertising blurbs than most of you are used to.

Have fun all, I hope you enjoy the products of one of the most corrupt companies in America. Who once charged consumers for their product because the hardware could run MS-Dos, even when it was never installed on it. Who publicly admitted, with much personal back-thumping, that they assisted the NSA in helping them spy on YOU.

I will never run Windows as my day-to-day. I looked at Win10, and was impressed by parts of it. Unimpressed by other parts. When I purchase a Wintel computer, I already know it won't be running Windows when I'm done with it.

I wouldn't use windows os, but I like the compatibility with gaming. So once games become 100% mac os (hackintosh) or linux compatible then I'll switch over, but for now I'll make do with windows.
Jun 5, 2015 9:33 AM
Dec 2014
I got it, too. You can get a free version of Win 10... but I'll stick with the good old Windows 7.
j
Jun 5, 2015 11:17 AM

Mar 2013
Just afraid that most 3rd party software won't work or take more step to work now.
Jun 13, 2015 9:44 AM
Sep 2014
zetsubousei_hero said:
Just afraid that most 3rd party software won't work or take more step to work now.

It will work, WIN 10 is something like 8.1. Just an upgrade.
I cant wait for release, Cortana better have 3d model when Hololens comes out.
Jun 13, 2015 11:16 PM

Feb 2015
Bloodshade said:
KD7BWB said:

I wouldn't use windows os, but I like the compatibility with gaming. So once games become 100% mac os (hackintosh) or linux compatible then I'll switch over, but for now I'll make do with windows.

Linux compatibility with windows Games,that'd be a glorious day for all of us,but i don't see that happening.
Developers at Linux based OS don't seem to be interested in Game Development and don't want to create API similar to DirectX or OpenGL that make Gaming possible.They are more interested in providing a secure,smooth and a Controllable OS where you hold the reins.
BinarySquirrelJun 13, 2015 11:24 PM
Jul 10, 2015 2:09 PM
Dec 2014
NaCro said:
zetsubousei_hero said:

It will work, WIN 10 is something like 8.1. Just an upgrade.
I cant wait for release, Cortana better have 3d model when Hololens comes out.
Lots of programs still work on Windows 10 at least in the Insider Preview I'm Using all my Programs still work Perfectly fine most Major Software companies have come out with Updates already like NVIDIA, and Steam and a lot of programs work because windows 10 is a lot like Windows 8 and windows 7 the only big differences is the Metro has been made into the Start Menu and Cortana has been added
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Is 8 gb vram enough these days?

Cnon - Mar 5

34 by DesuMaiden »»
4 hours ago

» Any paradox games fans here?

D5rkUnl0ck3r - Yesterday

2 by Vampire_Lord »»
4 hours ago

» your video game waifu or husbando

deg - May 7

24 by DesuMaiden »»
5 hours ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3543 by DesuMaiden »»
5 hours ago

» Switch 2 launching with Breath of the Wild Remake!?

rohan121 - Yesterday

6 by DesuMaiden »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.