Forum Settings
Forums

Anno Hideaki Says Anime Is Dying, Will End in 5 to 20 Years

New
do you also think that anime is dying?
May 24, 2015 4:06 PM

Jan 2009
i found a better translation courtesy of reddit/r/anime https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/373kas/japanese_hideaki_anno_the_anime_industry_has_5/crje2ar

Japan's Anime is heading towards a decline. The director of famous anime "Neon Genesis Evangelion", Mr. Hideaki Anno (55), defends this opinion.

Mr. Anno, approaching his 55th birthday, held an interview with RIA Novosti on May 22nd.

Mr. Anno said that Japan's anime has passed its peak, that it has lost its light, and that it was on its way to a decline. After completely losing its light, he opined, it would likely begin a new resurgence.

According to Mr. Anno, the modern anime production system is only barely managing to function, and that it's only a matter of time before it crumbles. In any case, from what he sees, he thinks that it would likely not even last twenty years, and even argues that after about 5 years, the anime industry will be unable to continue in the state it is in now. As it starts to lack in funding and human resources, the situation will be such that, in Japan, it will no longer be viable to continue creating anime [I may have messed up on this sentence. Would appreciate if anyone could verify].

However, Mr. Anno does not think that this will mean an end to anime as an artistic form of film. He points out the possibility of the centres of anime production moving to other areas of Asia with good conditions.

According to Mr. Anno's prediction, things like anime will definitely continue to exist across the world, but the demise to Japan being the heart of anime in the world is swiftly approaching.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2015-05-26/director-hideaki-anno-laments-over-anime-decline/.88557
http://kotaku.com/evangelion-creator-predicts-the-death-of-anime-1706738732
http://jp.sputniknews.com/japan/20150523/369080.html

google translate of the source news - https://translate.google.com.ph/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fjp.sputniknews.com%2Fjapan%2F20150523%2F369080.html

=============================

the anime makers are worried
degMar 23, 2016 1:53 AM
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 24, 2015 4:10 PM

Aug 2014
It's their funding/distribution methods that need to change. I don't see most of the people complaining about how the industry is going buying blurays.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
May 24, 2015 4:11 PM

Mar 2013
People said the same with Console LOL!
May 24, 2015 4:13 PM

Sep 2011
people say this about every industry all the time

And i say this to someone like anno, if you think this way, DO FUCKING SOMETHING ABOUT IT, you have the power to try and make something you deem stand out but instead are cashing in on the success of a series he made 20 years ago. You have no right to complain about a lack of original concepts in the industry if you yourself are a part of the problem
JizzyHitlerMay 24, 2015 4:20 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

May 24, 2015 4:14 PM

May 2013
We've known this for a long time, and just now are these people realising this and raising their voice?
May 24, 2015 4:21 PM

Nov 2012
And why should we believe what he says?
May 24, 2015 4:22 PM

Jan 2008
I quote Shiro: "Just because you're correct doesn't mean you're right". He's not really wrong, but not really right either. The industry he's known is dying, but it's actually morphing into a new one.
May 24, 2015 4:24 PM

Jul 2014
Meh. He's irrelevant nowadays.
May 24, 2015 4:27 PM

Jun 2013
I imagine Anno as one of the forum members who makes annoying threads about why anime is dying - preferably with terrible grammar as well.
May 24, 2015 4:31 PM

Jul 2011
Cool, finally.

DmonHiro said:
I quote Shiro: "Just because you're correct doesn't mean you're right".

With the picture it's better:
May 24, 2015 4:41 PM

Nov 2008
5-20 years left, oh dear, this is serious and with 2020 coming, the decline might accelerate.

Anime should switch from a primarily BD/DVD model to CD/Merchandise/Streaming model for starters and more anime should at least get a simulcast in other regions. Toei, Sanrio, and others were on the right track. I look for merchandise or CDs to support series and characters I like over BDs/DVDs because I can impulse buy them easy, I can easily add CDs to my usual order of games that I import or buy more than 3 figures at a time, I also occasionally like to buy plushies like now I'm looking for a plushie of a character from a currently airing anime. Also, maybe a donation box for fans to donate towards their favorite anime and studio.

May 24, 2015 4:49 PM
Feb 2014
A new wave of memelords will begin. That is for sure. And worst of all, EVA elitism will get even worse.

And at least Miyazaki has made quality stuff.
May 24, 2015 4:49 PM

Jun 2013
To an extent I agree. There's not as much artistic value in a lot of stuff coming out now.
Not to say there aren't exceptions, but the industry is full of uninspired genericism that'll sell because of how it panders to different people.
May 24, 2015 4:54 PM

Sep 2012
Praland said:

DmonHiro said:
I quote Shiro: "Just because you're correct doesn't mean you're right".

Anime die if it is killed!
May 24, 2015 5:06 PM

Feb 2013
well gee, good thing he made Studio Khara to prevent that from happening
May 24, 2015 5:07 PM

Oct 2013
no wonder, he's made the same shit for 20 years
May 24, 2015 5:11 PM

Jan 2009
Do you have an actual translation ? I can't see where he's saying nobody is willing to experiment or try anything even remotely original

SuperRed said:
And why should we believe what he says?

He started being anime-fan in the 70', became an actor of this industry in the 80', and reshaped it in the 90'.
I don't know if we should, but his opinion can bring some relevance to our discussions here.
May 24, 2015 5:12 PM

Jul 2014
As long as anime sales revolve around defunct optical media, and self-defeating regional licensing deals + fragmented online services to make investments back, it will be in decline.

Kill Crunchyroll, kill Funimation and everything like them, join the market forces together to create a Steam for anime with 99% of content from 1930 and forever onwards, with worldwide availability, and the industry would never have to deal with low profit.

Nobody is going to subscribe to (unless they're idiots) to 5 different paid streaming services to watch what they want, and 80% of new PCs and even laptops these days won't even have optical drives. Soon, the same will be true about the home media center.

It's true that anime is in a hole. And unless the market makes the required steps, the hole is going to cave in on them.
May 24, 2015 5:20 PM

Jan 2009
offmodel said:
Anyway, someone call me when Mamoru Oshii says this and I might care.

Anime today is a copy of a copy of a copy that is no longer a form of 'expression.

Oshii, 2011
May 24, 2015 5:23 PM

Sep 2013
How can that be true if this season is fucking amazing?
zetsubousei_hero said:
People said the same with Console LOL!

Video game consoles or a computer shell console? If the former, it kinda is, dude. The best games this generation have been indy arcade-like games. And we all should remember The Order: 1886...
SetsukoHara said:
Praland said:

Anime die if it is killed!

Unless that anime is Aldnoah.Zero...
May 24, 2015 5:33 PM

Feb 2013
Yeah whatever old man, get to the back of the line with Tomino and Miyazaki unless you actually want to say something about that 4th NGE Rebuild.
May 24, 2015 5:55 PM

Jan 2009
Okiura said:
Do you have an actual translation ? I can't see where he's saying nobody is willing to experiment or try anything even remotely original

must be some paraphrasing or additional info, i got that news from here http://seventhstyle.com/2015/05/24/anno-hideaki-says-anime-is-dying/
May 24, 2015 6:02 PM

Jan 2012
At the end of the day, it's still one person's opinion. Who the hell cares?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 24, 2015 6:04 PM

May 2014
Anno is insane and a troll, so who gives a shit what he says?
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
May 24, 2015 6:19 PM

Jan 2009
offmodel said:
Okiura said:

Anime today is a copy of a copy of a copy that is no longer a form of 'expression.
Oshii, 2011

Hardly the same thing, he was talking about shows like Gundam Unicorn that are used to sell action figures (which I agree with him about).

It's not the same, it's worse.
Giving Unicorn (or the idea of it) as an example of today's general lack of expressiveness doesn't mean his talk about the current anime is specific to Gundam or anirobot merchandise. I don't think the industry being otaku-centric was meant to refer to the mecha fans (mecha TV series nearly disappeared from the landscape in the time he said this) but to the Akihabara/Comiket/Moe Otaku to which the industry is really driven.
OkiuraMay 24, 2015 6:42 PM
May 24, 2015 6:20 PM

Oct 2013
Anime should switch to the streaming format. Nearly all other forms of media are more prevalent online than traditional distribution methods, but anime is still quite archaic in their ways.
May 24, 2015 6:25 PM
Jan 2015
I agree, anime died after the 90s.

A female character's relevance would be noted for her bold independence, color personality, and dead-on realism with the harsh world.

Now it's based on "waifu" traits and blue titty string.

Stylistic anime like Uchouten Kazoku, Shinsekai Yori, and Ping Pong get the shit end of the stick while shows like Date A Live, Infinite Stratos, and that Hestia anime succeed by appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Fuck capitalism.
BlueScarfMay 24, 2015 6:44 PM
May 24, 2015 6:31 PM

Jan 2009
SetsukoHara said:

Good example to show the progress being made by today's anime blockbusters in the writing department and to slap Anno's face with.
May 24, 2015 6:32 PM

Nov 2008
Rinth said:
Anime should switch to the streaming format. Nearly all other forms of media are more prevalent online than traditional distribution methods, but anime is still quite archaic in their ways.

It is, in the US, EU, and the most of Asia, but Japan doesn't utilize their services very often save for NND and outside of NND they are horrible or are subpar (Yahoo Gyao). Also, there are issues with primetime non-shounen stuff not being licensed even in Asia

May 24, 2015 6:37 PM

Dec 2012
This from the guy who made the giant troll franchise that is Evangelion, forgive me if I don't take anything he says at face value.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

May 24, 2015 6:47 PM

Feb 2010
I bet Anno will die before Anime dies.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 24, 2015 6:52 PM

Jan 2014
His opinion would be worth something if he made anything worthwhile, but that is clearly not the case.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
May 24, 2015 6:54 PM

Sep 2014
RedRoseFring said:
His opinion would be worth something if he made anything worthwhile, but that is clearly not the case.

It's not like he made Gunbuster and NGE or anything
May 24, 2015 6:56 PM

May 2013
iThoughtSheWas16 said:
RedRoseFring said:

But he did though, and I think Rose is fully aware of that.
May 24, 2015 6:58 PM

Sep 2014
Dark_Chaos said:
iThoughtSheWas16 said:

It was sarcasm. Worthwhile can be defined as 'of value or importance', and no one can argue that Gunbuster and NGE are influential works. Especially NGE.
May 24, 2015 7:00 PM

Mar 2015
well, when harem anime (sodekata and tastemen) easily get second season, things like nichijou have to survive just for finished. i just can hope family stuff (romance, non moe SOL, comedy, shounen) can still alive. that are enough for me.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 24, 2015 7:04 PM

Oct 2012
I will start taking Anno seriously when he talks about the state of the industry once he stops milking Eva. This should roughly be around the time that apes have retaken the earth.
May 24, 2015 7:04 PM

Apr 2014
Not really, I mean they are still pumping out like 30 full shows every season so the industry isn't dead yet, and it will stay strong for years to come.
May 24, 2015 7:06 PM

May 2013
iThoughtSheWas16 said:
Dark_Chaos said:

It was sarcasm. Worthwhile can be defined as 'of value or importance', and no one can argue that Gunbuster and NGE are influential works. Especially NGE.

Influential? possibly. Worthwhile? Who knows. It's not my place to speak for others, but I don't think your friend over there shares your opinon :P
May 24, 2015 7:07 PM

Apr 2014
At least this still better opinion than Miyazaki that complain about Moe.
May 24, 2015 7:09 PM

Sep 2014
Dark_Chaos said:
iThoughtSheWas16 said:

Influential? possibly. Worthwhile? Who knows. It's not my place to speak for others, but I don't think your friend over there shares your opinon :P

At this point I feel like we're just arguing over semantics. But something that is of value or importance is influential, and vise versa.
May 24, 2015 7:13 PM

May 2013
iThoughtSheWas16 said:
Dark_Chaos said:

At this point I feel like we're just arguing over semantics. But something that is of value or importance is influential, and vise versa.

You mean to tell me you don't believe in bad influences?
May 24, 2015 7:16 PM

Sep 2014
Dark_Chaos said:
iThoughtSheWas16 said:

But I didn't even mention bad influences? Like Justin Bieber, NGE, and the Harry Potter series are all influential. It doesn't matter if they're 'bad' or not.
May 24, 2015 7:16 PM

May 2015
Says the guy who ruins anime for some people.
May 24, 2015 7:20 PM

May 2013
iThoughtSheWas16 said:
Dark_Chaos said:

But I didn't even mention bad influences? Like Justin Bieber, NGE, and the Harry Potter series are all influential. It doesn't matter if they're 'bad' or not.

Perhaps I misinterpreted your post then, as I thought you implied all influential works were good. My mistake :P

But yeah, there's tons of influential works out there these days. K-On, Dragon Ball Z, Ranma 1/2, etc.
May 24, 2015 7:20 PM

May 2012
SaberMacro said:
Says the guy who ruins anime for some people.

you could say the same about any anime though.
May 24, 2015 7:22 PM

Feb 2015
i don't think anime is dying. I have many anime to watch and It takes lifetime to watch it all.

As for the new series its kinda hard to create a 'boom' anime like the past animes, but I think there are still many things that they can adapt into anime. Anime will still live but it past the golden era
May 24, 2015 7:24 PM

Oct 2012
BlueScarf said:

A female character's relevance would be noted for her bold independence, color personality, and dead-on realism with the harsh world.

Stylistic anime like Uchouten Kazoku, Shinsekai Yori, and Ping Pong get the shit end of the stick while shows like Date A Live, Infinite Stratos, and that Hestia anime succeed by appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Fuck capitalism.
don't h8 on blue titty strings pls :/

In the grand scheme of things, are they really that different from bluescarves?
ShrabsterMay 24, 2015 7:28 PM

May 24, 2015 7:27 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
I can definitely see the glaring flaws in how the anime industry does certain things, but by no metric is it dying...

j0x said:
In a new interview http://jp.sputniknews.com/japan/20150523/369080.html, Anno Hideaki, director of works like Evangelion, has said that the golden age of anime is gone – it’s past its peak, and its light has already extinguished

Projecting much, Anno?
BatoKusanagiMay 25, 2015 2:32 AM
May 24, 2015 7:35 PM

Nov 2008
Shrabster said:
BlueScarf said:

Fuck capitalism.
don't h8 on blue titty strings pls :/

In the grand scheme of things, are they really that different from bluescarves?

Stylistic anime are either not visually appealing enough or not interesting enough for most Otaku and importers to buy, we aren't arthouse folks. Also Ping Pong is too ugly to buy (or even watch for the matter).

Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

135 by -YaoiBoy- »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 3 hours ago

18 by Vaturna »»
15 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 34 minutes ago

2 by LightWorker »»
16 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 7 hours ago

23 by Horshu »»
16 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

47 by traed »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.