Forum Settings
Forums

In Iraq, ISIS Is Winning And The United States Is Losing

New
May 20, 2015 6:32 PM

Jan 2013
Michael said:
During the Iraq war more than 4,000 U.S. soldiers died, countless others were severely injured, and the total cost to U.S. taxpayers was more than 2 trillion dollars. But now whatever the U.S. military accomplished during that war is being completely undone by ISIS. On Monday, we learned that ISIS had fully taken control of the strategically important city of Ramadi. Despite nine months of airstrikes by the U.S. military, ISIS continues to move forward and take new territory. Just a few years ago, American soldiers fought some incredibly bloody battles on the streets of Ramadi, but now that city is in the hands of the most ruthless terror organization on the entire planet. And since it is only about 70 miles from Baghdad, Ramadi is going to make a fine staging area for an all-out assault on the capital. No matter how you cut it, the cold, hard reality of the matter is that the United States is losing in Iraq and ISIS is winning. So what will the U.S. do if ISIS actually takes control of the entire country?

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2015/05/in-iraq-isis-is-winning-and-the-united-states-is-losing.html

For shame CIA. For shame
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
May 20, 2015 7:10 PM

Dec 2007
At present, it's impossible for the US to "win." That would require the possibility that a side favorable to our interests could come out on top. That side is practically dead and buried: it was those trying to make Democracy work. At present, neither of the sides vying for control is anything close to a friend. The Iran-backed Shia government is committed to controlling, exploiting, and indeed oppressing the Sunnis and other minorities. If it wins, Iraq will be closer to being an Iranian puppet, which is very bad for regional stability, and that oppression will remain.

On the other hand, ISIS is nasty even by Islamic radical standards, and its success is doing the worst thing possible: drawing other radical groups to act with similar violence and degeneracy. It must go. And there's the rub: it's been exploiting the Iraqi government's oppression as a means of recruiting and drawing support.

But since ISIS is a worse thing for US than the Iraqi government, we're focusing on it. However, in supporting the Iraqi government, we're also counteracting our attacks by improving its strength among its base. And since the Iraqi government is not our friend, it's not going to invite us to act as we would need to. It wants to crush any rebellious attitudes, not just dismantle ISIS. And to do that, it's going to get intolerably violent towards the Sunni population.

This is a situation where the only way to win was to prevent it. And the only way to prevent it was for the US to do something Obama was never willing to do: commit to a long-term presence.
ErwinJAMay 20, 2015 7:14 PM
May 20, 2015 7:12 PM

Apr 2013
Good thing that no one cares about Iraq other than suicide bombers and hippies.
May 20, 2015 7:19 PM

Jan 2014
In war, everyone loses, yada yada, bad bad, help us Lord.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
May 20, 2015 7:23 PM
Apr 2013
Well they aren't really trying now are they.
Shoryu said:
Aureolus
Life-enhancing-body-suits are good and all, but they can't protect you against the void.
Shoryu said:
Hopefully a better quote in the near future
Become a friend of Blahkabelison, they're a female.
May 20, 2015 8:28 PM
Jul 2018
They took ramadi (u.s) then they gave it to the iraq gov or military or whatever.
The recent ramadi take over by isis which was a fight between isis and the Iraqi army with some u.s air strikes.

And isis won.

Nice click bait though.
removed-userMay 20, 2015 8:36 PM
May 20, 2015 8:41 PM

Jan 2013
Of course they won, isn't that what it's saying?

Click bait, how?

May 20, 2015 8:47 PM

Nov 2008
Sever ties with Iraq and then carpet bomb all ISIS targets into oblivion, then leave for good. The US has lost big time, however, we still need ISIS to die.

May 20, 2015 9:00 PM
Jul 2018
Cabron said:
Of course they won, isn't that what it's saying?

Click bait, how?

The u.s gave the keys of ramadi to the iraqi goverment then bounced then isis came and took the keys from the iraqi government.

Did the u.s lose something? No.
Did the iraqi government lose something? Yes.

Unless there was a U.S presense from then until now in ramadi the u.s didn't lose anything.

So clickbait.
removed-userMay 20, 2015 9:04 PM
May 20, 2015 9:21 PM

Jan 2013
Shouldn't the US airstrikes on Ramadi be considered a US presence?
CabronMay 20, 2015 9:25 PM

May 20, 2015 9:33 PM

Aug 2013
It's the Vietnam war all over again for America.
May 20, 2015 9:35 PM
Jul 2018
Cabron said:

Think of it this way imagine a friend of yours and a guy he hates are fighting you are up in a tree far away sling shotting pine cones at your friends enemy, your friend gets beaten up and gets his ipod stolen which YOU (lets say 8 months ago) fought a different guy in order to give it back to your friend.
So in conclusion (more or less) your friend lost the fight , you laid some hits on the bully without being there and you didn't get hit but you did waste your time getting your ipod for your friend in the first place.

No air strikes are not considred a military presence.
Its the same as I'm in your presence because we are in the same forum.
removed-userMay 20, 2015 9:44 PM
May 20, 2015 9:36 PM

Jun 2008
Wait...how is the U.S losing if zero soldiers have been killed whereas the U.S has killed many of their militants?

Yes, I understand that ISIS is still gaining territory, but no one will help the U.S!

Where the fuck is Europe?

What the fuck are they doing?

Do they think this won't affect them in the long run if ISIS continues to gain territory?
May 20, 2015 9:40 PM

Jan 2013
DrGeroCreation said:
With the Gulf of Tonkin "incident", as its excuse.

Eremiel said:
Cabron said:

Think of it this way imagine a friend of yours and a guy he hates are fighting you are up in a tree far away sling shotting pine cones at your friends enemy, your friend gets beaten up and gets his ipod stolen which YOU (lets say 8 months ago) fought a different guy in order to give it back to your friend.

No air strikes are not considred a military presence.
Its the same as I'm in your presence because we are in the same forum.
I don't know, I would consider that a presence.
CabronMay 20, 2015 9:49 PM

May 20, 2015 9:43 PM

Aug 2013
Cabron said:
DrGeroCreation said:
With the Gulf of Tonkin "incident", as its excuse.
Exactly.
May 21, 2015 2:27 AM
May 2009
They lost as soon as they started the war.
Unless you were going to occupy and claim it as a part of the US, there is no way to obtain victory.

All you do is destabilise a stable region.
May 21, 2015 2:59 AM

Mar 2008
shintai88 said:
You considered it ever stable? hahahahahahahahahahahaha
May 21, 2015 3:23 AM

Feb 2012
JustALEX said:
Wait...how is the U.S losing if zero soldiers have been killed whereas the U.S has killed many of their militants?

Yes, I understand that ISIS is still gaining territory, but no one will help the U.S!

Do they think this won't affect them in the long run if ISIS continues to gain territory?

Y'all started it, y'all take care of it. - Europe.
May 21, 2015 3:32 AM
Jul 2018
Ramkec said:
JustALEX said:

Y'all started it, y'all take care of it. - United States of America.
Fixed
May 21, 2015 4:25 AM

Jan 2009
traed said:
shintai88 said:
You considered it ever stable? hahahahahahahahahahahaha
The Middle East was quite stable when ze German Kaiserreich was planning ze Bagdadbahn.

If the French, English and Americans didn't mess up later, we could have already had a harmonic and peaceful Trade-Relationship between the Middle East and Europe.
May 21, 2015 5:37 AM
Jan 2015
No, Iraq is losing, not the US. Iraqi soldiers are cowards and can't even stand up to a militia that's been exponentially decreasing thanks to US bombing.

Also lol, typical yuropoors blaming the Middle East conflict on the US, how typical.
May 21, 2015 5:57 AM

May 2014
US can only win with nukes.
May 21, 2015 5:57 AM

Apr 2015
ISIS have homecourt advantage

Hi
May 21, 2015 6:01 AM

Oct 2013
long live the KURDISH people, long live the Peshmerga and YPG!
"What a pitty, for such a intelligent young lady to be so brain washed by the organization...but ill be happy to respond to your lecture, unfortunately the real world isnt always so black and white..little claymore" Teresa Of The Faint Smile.

https://www.facebook.com/InappropriateOperator
May 21, 2015 6:32 AM

Jan 2015
I thought ISIS, ISIL, IS, ISHIT etc ect was funded by Israel (they don't attack them do they) / US interest, meaning nobody is winning and this is all smoke and mirrors (just like Al-Qaeda) to create more refugees, steal more land and send more Americans home in body bags. Honestly fuck everything.
May 21, 2015 7:06 AM

Apr 2013
BlueScarf said:
No, Iraq is losing, not the US. Iraqi soldiers are cowards and can't even stand up to a militia that's been exponentially decreasing thanks to US bombing.

Also lol, typical yuropoors blaming the Middle East conflict on the US, how typical.

"Cowards?" Jesus Christ, people in 1st world countries can sure be apathetic. Are you seriously making fun of the people who value their own lives?

Anyways, i agree with the second part of your post. Europe was just as involved with the middle east back when they actually mattered (you know, when they actually had some sort of an identity.) It's easy to blame the US when the entire continent is now just a lapdog to 3 of the permanent security council members (US/France/UK).
May 21, 2015 7:18 AM

Jun 2014
Aeldrian said:
ISIS have homecourt advantage

backed by some of the locals
All credit goes to Sacred.
May 21, 2015 7:41 AM

Jan 2009
The only one who's losing is the Iraqi people. 25 years of economic sanctions, military occupation, civil war, hundreds of thousands of deaths, and millions of displaced.
May 21, 2015 9:02 AM

Jan 2015
Okiura said:
The only one who's losing is the Iraqi people. 25 years of economic sanctions, military occupation, civil war, hundreds of thousands of deaths, and millions of displaced.

"We think it was worth it" - Madeline Albright
May 21, 2015 12:32 PM

Jan 2013
FahtahSensei said:
I thought ISIS, ISIL, IS, ISHIT etc ect was funded by Israel (they don't attack them do they) / US interest, meaning nobody is winning and this is all smoke and mirrors (just like Al-Qaeda) to create more refugees, steal more land and send more Americans home in body bags. Honestly fuck everything.
Israel isn't the only who has been funding them, the US government has also been funding them (its main funder).

May 21, 2015 12:37 PM

Jan 2015
Cabron said:
FahtahSensei said:
Israel isn't the only who has been funding them, the US government has also been funding them (its main funder).

Yes.. umn...that why I said US interest.
May 21, 2015 12:42 PM

Feb 2012
FahtahSensei said:

You guessed it bruh.

And yea

You is right.
May 21, 2015 12:45 PM

Jun 2013
Actually the US "won" the war, shit came undone when we handed everything over to the Iraqis, because they couldn't handle it on their own. I'm actually in Baghdad right now with ISIS 20 miles away (not 70) from me in Ramadi.

NudeBear said:
"Cowards?" Jesus Christ, people in 1st world countries can sure be apathetic. Are you seriously making fun of the people who value their own lives?

Actually yes they are cowards, if they valued their lives and their family's lives then they wouldn't be abandoning cities and running away from ISIS. Not that they would be of much use since they're all out of shape and unwilling to train.
May 21, 2015 12:50 PM

Jan 2013
FahtahSensei said:
Cabron said:

Yes.. umn...that why I said US interest.
Heh, sorry about that.
For some reason I misread that.

May 21, 2015 1:08 PM

Apr 2013
FreshPrinceofMAL said:

Actually yes they are cowards, if they valued their lives and their family's lives then they wouldn't be abandoning cities and running away from ISIS. Not that they would be of much use since they're all out of shape and unwilling to train.

This is why I'm calling you apathetic. It's pretty easy to spout that kind of bullshit when you're sitting behind a screen in a goddamn chair. I for one, would never talk shit about someone who values their life over their country.
May 21, 2015 1:13 PM

Jun 2013
NudeBear said:
FreshPrinceofMAL said:

This is why I'm calling you apathetic. It's pretty easy to spout that kind of bullshit when you're sitting behind a screen in a goddamn chair. I for one, would never talk shit about someone who values their life over their country.

Well I'm sitting on a bed and as you'll know if you read my whole post I'm in Iraq right now, in Baghdad.
May 21, 2015 1:40 PM

Dec 2014
I don't think we should be involved in the middle east at all, but of course... oil.
May 22, 2015 2:49 PM

Jan 2013
Fear not ISIS

We must send in stronk Serbians Do not Let NATO stop them this time.

May 23, 2015 2:19 AM

Dec 2013
*Yawn* Will we ever just stop? All of this stuff is so predictable and boring. Anyone here actually give a shit about Iraq or IS? Let them have it!

I live thousands of miles away and none of this effects my life. Why are humans so quick to meddle into the affairs of things which don't concern them. So tiring... I need a vacation from Earth...

"Beam me up Scotty!"
I am on the edge ! The edge of the edgiest edge ever edged by edgekind !
я умерте ужасну депрессии...

May 23, 2015 2:40 AM

Nov 2009
What did the US "accomplish" in the Iraq war? I'm sorry, but I cannot see how Isis is "unraveling what the US accomplished". Do you mean the dethronement of (while cruel) a dictator who held a moderate level of stability within Iraq? Because the only way Isis could "undo what the US did" would be by fixing that and bringing stability back to Iraq.

But more importantly, why should I care? I know this sounds mean, especially since I am an American, however there is literally nothing the US can do to bring stability to Iraq. The concept of democracy within a nation that wants to be ruled "through Islam" is RETARDED. It could only be thought up by a mentally feeble president who probably thinks that the rest of the world circle jerks around a picture of the US constitution, wishing their country was "American" too.
May 23, 2015 2:47 AM

Aug 2014
If a country doesn't want democracy then don't force them to have it.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
May 23, 2015 3:24 AM

Nov 2011
ISIS stronk!
The Art of Eight
May 23, 2015 3:49 AM

Oct 2008
JustALEX said:

Europe, you ask?
We expect the States and Israel cleaning up after themselves.
May 23, 2015 10:07 AM

Oct 2013
Thanks, Bush
May 23, 2015 2:24 PM

Jan 2013
An interesting read: http://journal-neo.org/2015/05/23/ramadi-and-america-s-fracturing-of-iraq/

May 24, 2015 1:44 PM
May 2015
Vietnam+ ISIS Who sees the similarity?
"If you married someone, that means you love every side of your significant other that you already know. So if you find a new side after to love, doesn’t that mean you’ll love your partner even more?"

Kirito (Sword Art Online)
May 24, 2015 2:50 PM

Jun 2014
Link_StartIII said:
Vietnam+ ISIS Who sees the similarity?

Yup.

My dad's family is from Iraq. And I've had family killed in the past by these extremists. I've never been and don't think I will for a long, long time. It seems like a hellhole and I can't see it improving any time soon, which is a shame. People there have experienced too much suffering, but that is the reality of conflict and war unfortunately.
May 24, 2015 3:38 PM
May 2015
WitlessHippo said:
Yup.

My dad's family is from Iraq. And I've had family killed in the past by these extremists. I've never been and don't think I will for a long, long time. It seems like a hellhole and I can't see it improving any time soon, which is a shame. People there have experienced too much suffering, but that is the reality of conflict and war unfortunately.
oh gosh... I do not know what to say.. I'm sorry dude about what happened to them :(
"If you married someone, that means you love every side of your significant other that you already know. So if you find a new side after to love, doesn’t that mean you’ll love your partner even more?"

Kirito (Sword Art Online)
May 24, 2015 4:24 PM

Jun 2014
Link_StartIII said:
WitlessHippo said:
Yup.

oh gosh... I do not know what to say.. I'm sorry dude about what happened to them :(

Thanks man, appreciate it...means a lot. It was a few years back, like 5 or 6. It was really upsetting at the time, but you learn to move on eventually as with most things...it would be the least those who have passed on would have wanted.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.