Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Heroic Legend of Arslan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 12, 2015 7:31 AM

Jul 2010
This episode was pretty amazing.

The use of the oil trap along with the cliff. The use of siege towers(?) to kill the Persians that had decided to move onward. To completely break their ranks like that and utilizing their strength of their horseman charges to completely destroy them. Also seeing how the enemy charged at the shocked and unorganized soldiers were quite the scenes.

The King rejecting Daryun's proposal, just shows how Arslan would differ as a commander in chief. Daryun appearing to save Arslan from the traitor is a pretty cool scene. Can't help but to think about Kingdom, str levels is 97!

Vahriz telling Daryun to swear his loyalty to Arslan was also quite the interesting scene.
Apr 12, 2015 7:52 AM

Dec 2013
Loved this episode!

The trap was obvious but that bloody massacre was still awesome to see :)

Daryun is definitely my favourite character so far. Dat ending was badass!
Apr 12, 2015 7:52 AM

Jun 2014
OP>ED
Great episode , nice character development , that cliffhanger @_@ hyped for next week
Apr 12, 2015 7:53 AM

Nov 2011
And then Daryun was like: I told you so.

Vahriz's Youngblood's disease must be really bad,because he doesnt notice,that even the Queen is total asshole towards Arslan:D
Apr 12, 2015 7:58 AM
May 2014
dunno, I think that rock-ish song for a medieval/ancient kingdom era setting is kind of mismsatch on itself.....well, to each their own, I guess...

Daryun easily steal this show! Arslan better watch out so this anime is not called 'heroic legend of Daryun' instead hahah

aside from that, nice to see the quick turn and confusion on the battlefield. gets animated. No matter how many soldiers to you advantages, overconfidences leads to disaster
Apr 12, 2015 8:09 AM

May 2012
Of course, never doubted that guy was the traitor. Lots of drama this episode.

Daryun is a badass.

Yup, the ending is definitely better and more suited for this anime.

Apr 12, 2015 8:12 AM

Jan 2014
And this is the reason for many lost wars, the king always being so wise and taking his pride higher than lower ranks... Everything Daryun explained should been recognised as a trap.. pretty good episode, better than the first imo.
Apr 12, 2015 8:12 AM
Jun 2014
I got the feeling that Arslan is the son of Daryun and the queen ...or maybe Daryun's father had a sexy time with the queen and they are brothers?
Kirigaro92Apr 12, 2015 8:22 AM
Apr 12, 2015 8:15 AM

May 2013
The king should've listened to him. And now there is a betrayal within the army. Can't wait for the next episode.
Apr 12, 2015 8:20 AM

Apr 2013
op is good but does not fit.

good episode even if it was predictable
Apr 12, 2015 8:21 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
The OP was good with great visuals but I prefer the ED....The OST for this series is really good

The episode in general was a great follow up to the first one and it established more of the characters as well as too add more characterization to the ones that had the most screen time in the the previous episode. Lots of emotions and drama were displayed in this episode as well and the intensity was on point

I have to give props to Arslan and Daryun because their performances in this episode was really well done and brilliant to see (Extra props to Arslan for getting his first kill as well as holding his own in a fight) and Daryun is a fucking badass and I love him....Easily the best character so far

The battle was brutal as fuck and like I expected, the troops are getting rekt so badly. I had a feeling that someone was going to betray the king but I had no idea who it would be but seeing it happen really was sad to see....All that bloodshed and those poor kids died too....That fire pit was insane!!

Overall this was an amazing episode, the pacing was great the art and animation stayed really good and the CGI was alright too...Everything about this episode was really good imo
Apr 12, 2015 8:34 AM

Apr 2013
A atmospheric OP song like the first OP from Akatsuki no Yona would have fit better I say.

Well, of course the king would disregard all good advices just for his pride. But that there was an traitor I haven't seen coming, strange enough^^

The battle felt a bit short even with the trap. And I noticed in all shows like this, that in each battle the characters suddenly walk around completely alone, away from the fighting even when they were just in the middle of their army - it feels so weird sometimes. Like, even the normal footsoldiers as if they couldn't stay with their formation even a bit... However, I understand that it's easier to animate that way of course, but still, I have a hard time saying it was "amazing" then.
Apr 12, 2015 8:35 AM

Feb 2011
Drake1000 said:
Aren't the opening and ending reversed? seriously the ending gets me so hyped.

Agreed!
眠れないのは君のせい
Apr 12, 2015 8:48 AM

Oct 2013
every time, I fall in love with Daryun more and more. nic episode
Apr 12, 2015 8:49 AM

Apr 2014
Slowly getting used to cgi.

Badass Daryun is badass.
Apr 12, 2015 9:01 AM

Jul 2011
Ah, okay I think the anime form does more justice than the manga. The visuals are stunning. I love seeing the whole army. <33

OP/ED have great visuals. The budget for this series. <3

That seemed less intelligent than it did in the manga though. Why the heck would there be a cliff on the plains - surely the king has fought on the plains before. Or has sent other scouts other than Kharlan. I think in the OVA it was a mud/oil pit... would have been more reasonable if it was a trench dug out by the enemy. That cliff looked too steep to escape notice. I'm honestly surprised that the king is so silly as to ignore warnings and evidence since he should be a war expert (who has never lost before, mind you) - at least have a backup plan. As soon as they hit the cliff the whole army fell apart. I guess the other 6 generals were incompetent.

But the dialogue was enjoyable and I like the relationship of the characters.

Other than that, Arslan's fear is very justified considering his personality. I do wish he retained some elegance though since he is royalty (Arakawa changed his personality OTL). But oh well, can't expect a historical fantasy LotGH. :L

Wondering how long this series will be. I suspect a 1 cour since they just finished a number a chapters this episode, which would be a shame considering it's an epic.
Apr 12, 2015 9:03 AM

Aug 2014
Fucking simply love the OP. Also the ED.
Apr 12, 2015 9:06 AM

Feb 2012
So this is what Fire Emblem would look like if it got a proper anime adaptation.
I Write About Anime (and other stuff) At Standing On My Neck
Apr 12, 2015 9:18 AM

Apr 2015
Not really fond of the OP, but I can get used to it. Nice presentation of fear, and poor Arslan seeing the horrors of battle. It's pretty cliché but I don't really mind so far.
Apr 12, 2015 9:54 AM

Jan 2014
The OP is nice, the ED is better.
It was really fun, and daym, I gotta say this again
Arslan is ultra cuuute ^3^ I feel pedophilish.
Apr 12, 2015 9:58 AM
Mar 2014
Oh god the ED is one of the best I've heard.
Apr 12, 2015 10:01 AM

Nov 2013
this is turning out to be pretty fucking great
Apr 12, 2015 10:14 AM

Apr 2014
Damn good episode. Battlefield trap, betrayals, poor kids friends died. That oil pit, I knew as soon as the one guy slipped when he grasped for the wall that shyt was gonna get real:D
---------My Profile------------
Apr 12, 2015 10:27 AM

Jan 2013
Fantastic episode, 'nice' portrayal of war.
Apr 12, 2015 10:30 AM

Apr 2014
What an awesome show! Kharlan with this trap but not with Daryun!
Apr 12, 2015 10:34 AM

Aug 2012
The 4th best anime of the season continues to impress!~

Apr 12, 2015 10:38 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Kind Andragoras' arrogance knows no limit. It's surprising that he has won so many battles with that sort of attitude. Perhaps the opponent sides were just foolish.

That oil trap was pretty clever of the Lusitanian army, followed by the arrow barrage. They quickly gained an advantage, thanks to betrayer Kharlan.

Daryun was badass though; killing soldiers left and right. His battle against Kharlan should be interesting.

Good episode. Both the OP and ED are awesome. Props to Linden Films and Sanzigen for putting that high budget.

Apr 12, 2015 10:41 AM

Sep 2013
Every episode without that blond kid is a 10/10 :)
So the Queen is a slut? XD lol

Apr 12, 2015 11:09 AM

Oct 2013
Great episode, I would like to see a 18 year old Arslen at some point but I doubt that will happen.

I think we can all agree on that Daryun is a badass.

Apr 12, 2015 11:28 AM

Jan 2012
Awesome episode, badass Daryun very reminiscent of Guts but with a much more sincere personality
Apr 12, 2015 11:40 AM

May 2012
This show is soo badass..
Wish theres Kingdom in this season..

Apr 12, 2015 12:22 PM

Apr 2014
Oh my, this week's episode had quite the different mood than last week's episode. After watching the prince getting kidnapped for 20 minutes we are now thrown directly into a battle, and things seem to go bad for Pars.
The trap was obvious but I like how it was directed nonetheless. They managed to convey the feeling of chaos, death and hopelessness pretty well, I think. So Arslan is barely hanging there, trying to fend himself against Kharlan but it looks like he'll be saved.
So far it's quite enjoyable!
Apr 12, 2015 12:23 PM

Dec 2010
Holy shit. This episode was so good.
Apr 12, 2015 12:31 PM

Jun 2014
Farabeuf said:
Kurogashi said:
this show is going full akatsuki no yona. not sure if that's a good or bad thing..

It's actually the other way around. Yona begun being written in 2009, whereas Yoshiki Tanaka started writing Arslan in 1986 and the books are still ongoing (14 volumes last I checked).

The director/production team did a really good conveying the atmosphere of dread/confusion of this battle. I found the CGI pretty distracting in the first episode, but I'm quickly getting used to it.

Lastly, the score this show has just drives the point home to me of the kind of users that MAL has. This has a score of 7.59 whereas Nisekoi: has 8.27. I'm at a loss for words.

Hear hear.

I expect that by the end of both series that Arslan will have a much higher rating. Narrative driven stories that have no hype behind them generally start slow, but get a lot of positive votes when they end.
Apr 12, 2015 12:37 PM
Jul 2018
This battle in this episode is epic.

I didn't expect to see that betrayal coming.
Apr 12, 2015 12:43 PM

Jul 2010
Not bad at all, tho it was easy to tell that Karlan was plotting something.I have to say that i like Daryun so far.
ED>OP - usually i love UVERworld, but this time the song sounds kind of plain imo.
Also, looks like next episode we're going to see Yuki Kaji's character.Although i'm not some big fan of his (he's just okay), in CM for that character he sounded really different, so i'm looking forward to hearing it in episode.
Apr 12, 2015 12:52 PM

Aug 2012
This is probably as to close to having Kingdom back as we're gonna get, really liking the atmosphere and style of direction so far.
Apr 12, 2015 1:00 PM

Oct 2014
Boy the king didn't think that charge through, that was brutal. There went Arslan's ignorant perspective
Daryun coming in like a badass

Love the ending
Apr 12, 2015 1:03 PM

Aug 2014
Tohka_Yatogami said:
This battle in this episode is epic.

I didn't expect to see that betrayal coming.

Too bad that traitor is gonna die soon >:]
Apr 12, 2015 1:04 PM
Apr 2013
this may be an odd thing to ask but why are there so few sub teams doing this anime? As far as I know, there are only 3 and two of those have the same sub. IMO this is the best of the season so far but it isn't that popular?
Apr 12, 2015 1:04 PM

Feb 2014
DAMN AMAZING EPISODE! It had alot of hyper and I already can't wait for the next episode. Well, Pars is really powerful to the point that Lustanian's army used cunning traps against them, especially the burning-them-in-a-hole trap. On the other hand, Arslan is such a cutie~ Can't wait to see how he'll gradually change and meet his new companions. Also good OP!

Kaze_no_Tama said:
this may be an odd thing to ask but why are there so few sub teams doing this anime? As far as I know, there are only 3 and two of those have the same sub. IMO this is the best of the season so far but it isn't that popular?

True. I'm also very disappointed regarding this matter.
dolly94Apr 12, 2015 1:10 PM
Apr 12, 2015 1:11 PM

Jan 2008
- Not as good an episode as the first one but still great 4/5

- Opening is meh...ending is great though
- From the moment I learned the enemy army was marching on with inferior numbers I knew something was going on. No one goes on the attack without a kind of plan.
- The king is an idiot (see above). At least he should have considered the possibility that there would be a trap and not rush blindly to attack. I guess the arrogance of never having lost a battle clouded his judgement and he thought it he was invincible. It was still stupid though.
- Daryun is the best character so far. He's got both the wits and the military skills. He's also fiercely devoted to the prince.
- Some nice foreshadowing that the prince might not be the king's child. Even from last episode it was clear the queen does not like the king very much. Perhaps Vahriz is in on that secret and wants to ensure the price's security
- The battle felt a bit stupid especially with the soldiers rushing blindly into battle, sending only one scout who turned out to be a traitor (that possibility never crossed their mind???) Arslan was somehow left completely alone on the battlefield. Yeah, that stretched my suspension of disbelief a bit
- Daryun made an epic entrance at the end, rescuing the prince, though I hope there is a part of the royal army nearby, since him killing all those men by himself will also seem pretty implausible
Apr 12, 2015 1:18 PM

May 2009
Ì like the art of the opening, but the song... not so much.
The ending sounds more like an opening song.

The anime itself looks promising. I'm wondering how the prince will change throughout the series. So far my fav character is Daryum. I would like to know some more about him.
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Apr 12, 2015 1:37 PM

Oct 2013
They did a fine job at capturing the feel of a large scale battle and Arslan's participation in it felt so natural. He's not exactly a warmonger, he was scared which is natural yet it wasn't over the top or anything and he still tried to hold his own, making his 1st kill while defending himself from that soldier.

My hype for this show's growing fast. I haven't seen seen Kingdom but as for Arslan Senki being the Akatsuki no Yona of spring... I've no qualms with that :P Just another take on the Hero's Journey that'll depend on well it's executed. So far so good.
Apr 12, 2015 1:48 PM

Jun 2013
Kurogashi said:
this show is going full akatsuki no yona. not sure if that's a good or bad thing..

It only took 1 episode for Arslan to kill someone, Yona was a bleed-heart pussy for the entire season pretty much.

Also, I swear I've heard this ED before in Gundam Seed..
ex_necrossApr 12, 2015 1:51 PM
Apr 12, 2015 2:21 PM

Jun 2013
UVERworld!! it's been a while and the name of the hawk is the name of the angel of death in arabic that's cool and a king that doesn't listen to the advice of his subjects is not that good and Daryun can never be like Guts
Apr 12, 2015 2:21 PM

Jun 2013
I was hyped for a good episode!

What I got was a glorious episode! It became a tad bit predictable after Daryum warned the King, though I only thought that there was going to be a trap, I didn't expect betrayal among the ranks.

I liked the OP though not as much as the ED

Didn't expect anything less of Daryun in the last bits.

5/5
Apr 12, 2015 2:29 PM

Oct 2013
I find it interesting to compare Yona's situation to Arslan's tbh. Both Yona & Arslan lived a peaceful, rather pampered life. But the similarities in their circumstances end there.

- Yona's father was a 100% pacifist and the life she knew had been one devoid of conflict. Even if Yona was a man(obviously under a different name :P), her people(the people she knew, not the ones all over the country) would've expected her to be like her father, a peace-loving ruler, not a conqueror.

- Arslan, on the other hand, had a father who was the complete opposite of Yona's, has received some training in fighting with a sword and most of his people probably expected him to be more like his father. It's more like Sion's situation, expect that Arslan isn't so keen of following in his father's footsteps.
Apr 12, 2015 2:31 PM

Dec 2013
The pacing in the first half made me yawn a lot but the second half was great. That was some nice trap by the enemy army.
Good to see Arslan is not a pussy like I imagined him to be.
So only Arslan makes it home, his entire army is defeated. Kharlan is a traitor.
The guy with the spear is da baws.
I'll say it again - the ED is awesome.
Apr 12, 2015 2:46 PM

Nov 2014
The king is complete idiot, he should always listen to the reason rather than "Fighters don't escape"
Arslan did really well, despite his shock and the several losses he saw, he managed to give himself some time against one of the top ranks.

Watching this anime reminded me of Akatsuki no yona
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Arslan Senki (TV) Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 26, 2015

160 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Apr 30, 3:19 AM

Poll: » Arslan Senki (TV) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 19, 2015

174 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Apr 29, 4:43 PM

Poll: » Arslan Senki (TV) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tyrel - Apr 5, 2015

326 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Apr 29, 3:41 PM

Poll: » Arslan Senki (TV) Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 14, 2015

102 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Mar 4, 5:03 PM

Poll: » Arslan Senki (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 7, 2015

84 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Mar 1, 3:00 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.