Forums
New
Mar 27, 2015 11:01 AM

Feb 2015
Why do guys hate mainstream animes?
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 27, 2015 11:03 AM

Jun 2014
I don't. I'm a big Saint Seiya fan, and Saint Seiya was larger than life when it first came out.

Mar 27, 2015 11:04 AM

Nov 2012
but i don't

Feb 2013
define mainstream pls

Sep 2013
They hate that their favorite sh!t tier unpopular anime is inferior to them.

#bleachmasterrace
#torikogourmetnoble

Aug 2013
I don't. Some people do to make themselves look cool.
PoeticJustice said:
nigga i am black, do you think my ass would fit in? "Oh look it is negro kun." Hell no.
Mar 27, 2015 11:07 AM

Dec 2012
retrogamer32x said:
I love Lupin III, and I would argue the most mainstream of all anime (the new series is premiering in Europe first, even), uhm...

It's number 11 here:
http://nendai-ryuukou.com/article/110.html
Mar 27, 2015 11:08 AM
Sep 2014
Because MOST of the popular anime are not good.
Recent examples: Attack On Titan and SAO were very high on mal rankings
Mar 27, 2015 11:09 AM

Oct 2013
No, the better question should be. why do people put so much effort in hating a mainstream anime that they don't like. but I think everyone knows the answer for this. ;)
Mar 27, 2015 11:09 AM

Dec 2012
ichii_1 said:

#torikogourmetnoble

Toriko is not maninstream, or even popular by normal standards in the west.
Mar 27, 2015 11:10 AM

Nov 2011
JohnnyBme said:

They usually aren't as bad as people make them out to be, but they don't really deserve absurdly high rankings in many cases.
Mar 27, 2015 11:10 AM

Feb 2015
Because they're mainstream.. Duhhhhhh

Mar 27, 2015 11:12 AM

Oct 2013
JohnnyBme said:

attack on titan is still rank highly on mal. :P
Mar 27, 2015 11:13 AM

Nov 2014
TsunaDKillua_10 said:

Some people are just bitter and picky. Others likely have genuinely esoteric taste, and don't like what appeals to most people. I used to be bitter and picky and then I grew up. Now I'm open to anything as long as it has a reasonably good story and nice art.
Mar 27, 2015 11:14 AM
Sep 2014
LunarProxy said:
JohnnyBme said:

They usually aren't as bad as people make them out to be, but they don't really deserve absurdly high rankings in many cases.

Yes. attack on titan was not bad. but people think it's the most amazing thing ever...
Mar 27, 2015 11:15 AM

Dec 2012
retrogamer32x said:
tsudecimo said:

It's number 11 here:
http://nendai-ryuukou.com/article/110.html

I was talking internationally, I realize Lupin is not as big in Japan as it once was (the new series is premiering in European markets for a reason). I really don't want to get into a rankings fight, because I really don't give a flying **** about them, I was just making the point that the thread is pretty silly.

I was just renforcing your point that it was mainstream o.o
Mar 27, 2015 11:16 AM

Oct 2008
Why do you love it?
Mar 27, 2015 11:17 AM

Oct 2012
I have watched very little mainstream anime tbh, only thing that I can think that qualifies is Dragonball and while I'm not fond of it, I don't really dislike it either.
Mar 27, 2015 11:19 AM

Jul 2014
Don't really hate mainstream anime, though I strongly dislike the genres (in anime, not as much in western media context) that typically become mainstream. Like, list all of the lamest clichés in anime, and the most annoying ones will be under the shounen action bracket.
Mar 27, 2015 11:19 AM

Oct 2013
JohnnyBme said:
LunarProxy said:

Yes. attack on titan was not bad. but people think it's the most amazing thing ever...

yes, your opinion is fact. we all should like what you like.
Mar 27, 2015 11:21 AM

Sep 2013
tsudecimo said:
ichii_1 said:

#torikogourmetnoble

The dub is selling well.
The manga is getting good reviews.
And online word of mouth tells me that most people agree that, Toriko >>> big 3, aot, fairy tail
Mar 27, 2015 11:22 AM

Nov 2014
I hate every anime equally.
Mar 27, 2015 11:25 AM

Dec 2012
ichii_1 said:
tsudecimo said:

The dub is selling well.
And online word of mouth tells me that most people agree that, Toriko >>> big 3, aot, fairy tail

Source?
Reviews, don't translate to popularity.
Quality and reception is irrelevant, I'm specifically talking about popularity, and you have no way to prove that statistically anyway.

Just look at it's pathetically low member size on MAL, low youtube views, manga barely ranks on NY times, manga barely ranks on France monthly list, etc
Mar 27, 2015 11:26 AM
Dec 2014
TsunaDKillua_10 said:

Because they are idiots.

Thinking they are superior because they watch boring shit that most of the people don't give a shit - this is how elitists behave.

Isn't painful to be that stupid?
...Pretending to like shitty things just for the sake of showing off they are intelectuals...just how retarded one must be?

Meh :-j
Mar 27, 2015 11:31 AM

Nov 2011
orario said:
TsunaDKillua_10 said:

Because they are idiots.

Thinking they are superior because they watch boring shit that most of the people don't give a shit - this is how elitists behave.

...Pretending to like shitty things just for the sake of showing off they are intelectuals...just how retarded one must be?

But then there are the people who are really devoted to genuinely good series that just didn't get popular opinion, too. I'm usually pretty quiet about the top ranked anime, as I like what I like, but some people are just really outspoken.
Mar 27, 2015 11:35 AM
Sep 2014
orario said:
TsunaDKillua_10 said:

Because they are idiots.

*NOT PRETENDING *AND NOT LIKINGSHITTY THINGS
LIKING GOOD THINGS
Mar 27, 2015 11:36 AM

Aug 2013
It's just misplaced aggression. They hate the shows that they feel get too much attention, instead of rightfully blaming the system.
Mar 27, 2015 11:39 AM

Dec 2012
Fo-Fai said:
It's just misplaced aggression. They hate the shows that they feel get too much attention, instead of rightfully blaming the system.

This, along with the often obnoxious fanbases.
Mar 27, 2015 11:43 AM

Aug 2014
I don't ._. I wouldn't know anime if there is no mainstream one.
Check My AnimeList (or click my signature)
My Main Genres: Adventure, Action, Fantasy
My Sub Genres: Slice of Life, Comedy, H&E

Check My Profile, my ranking
What I Watch This Season
Best Character & WAIFU This Season
Best OP/ED Song This Season
Mar 27, 2015 11:44 AM

Sep 2013
tsudecimo said:
ichii_1 said:

The dub is selling well.

Source?
Reviews, don't translate to popularity.
Quality and reception is irrelevant, I'm specifically talking about popularity, and you have no way to prove that statistically anyway.

Just look at it's pathetically low member size on MAL, low youtube views, manga barely ranks on NY times, manga barely ranks on France monthly list, etc

One of the voice actors said it sold what they expected, and they released 52 ep in 4 months which is ALOT for a new series.
Good reviews = more people consider buying it = higher sales
It has several 1 million+ videos, the full ep. ones which also means it's popular in the asian market itself (anywhere outside japan is international)
The manga market is so tiny outside japan that's not even relevant if it's not on the list, toriko is a proven marathon runner it sells overtime.
MAl has sh!t taste what do you expect?
Mar 27, 2015 11:45 AM

May 2014
ichii_1 said:
They hate that their favorite sh!t tier unpopular anime is inferior to them.

#bleachmasterrace
#torikogourmetnoble

those aren't mainstream
lmao
Mar 27, 2015 11:51 AM

Dec 2012
ichii_1 said:

One of the voice actors said it sold what they expected, and they released 52 ep in 4 months which is ALOT for a new series.
Good reviews = more people consider buying it = higher sales
It has several 1 million+ videos, the full ep. ones which also means it's popular in the asian market itself (anywhere outside japan is international)
The manga market is so tiny outside japan that's not even relevant if it's not on the list, toriko is a proven marathon runner it sells overtime.
MAl has sh!t taste what do you expect?

Source to prove that? it seems like a fan rumor thing. And did it even air on Toonami?

Irrelevant. If you check the review section of the Tatami Galaxy you will notice that almost all the review are really positive, doesn't mean that it's mainstream or popular.

I specifically said west. You compare it's views to the other mainstream ones, and you can see that's it's very low in comparison. Hell, most seasonal shows are more popular than it, like Akame ga kill and Tokyo Ghoul. Again, I specifically said west, whether you think popularity outside Japan matters or not, is irrelevant and doesn't hold much weight. France is the second biggest market of manga.

I wouldn't even call the manga mainstream in Japan, not when manga that didn't have an anime yet, sold better than it.

The series can pass off as popular in Japan, but certainly no where else.
Mar 27, 2015 11:52 AM

Apr 2013
JohnnyBme said:
Well AOT is much better than SAO
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Mar 27, 2015 11:57 AM

Sep 2014
ButNotForMe said:
JohnnyBme said:
Well AOT is much better than SAO

not by much IMO
both are rather average
sao would be better than AOT if not the stupid second arc
Mar 27, 2015 12:00 PM

Nov 2014
Well, i'm a fan of mainstream shonen. Sometimes i don't understand either though.
Reality is the lifeblood that makes a work pulse with energy. Reality itself is entertainment

Mar 27, 2015 12:09 PM

Sep 2013
tsudecimo said:
Source to prove that? it seems like a fan rumor thing. And did it even air on Toonami?

Irrelevant. If you check the review section of the Tatami Galaxy you will notice that almost all the review are really positive, doesn't mean that it's mainstream or popular.

I specifically said west. You compare it's views to the other mainstream ones, and you can see that's it's very low in comparison. Hell, most seasonal shows are more popular than it, like Akame ga kill and Tokyo Ghoul. Again, I specifically said west, whether you think popularity outside Japan matters or not, is irrelevant and doesn't hold much weight. France is the second biggest market of manga.

I wouldn't even call the manga mainstream in Japan, not when manga that didn't have an anime yet, sold better than it.

Toriko anime isn't really toonami late night's target audience
I think this is it, probably, feel free to go through it XD
Or you can just believe it sold as expected.
https://archive.org/details/bliptv-20131031-104314-918thefan-TorikoInterview296

Reviews.
https://econsultancy.com/blog/9366-ecommerce-consumer-reviews-why-you-need-them-and-how-to-use-them/

It's doing well on Crunchyroll if that means anything to you :)
And how am I supposed to show western sales when no company wants to release any numbers?
Mar 27, 2015 12:14 PM

Oct 2013
This probably is bad generalization here, but any anime list that I see where someone rate lowly of all the mainstream/popular anime, and I'm not talking about fmab or cowboy bebop, which are one of the few mainstream anime that if you score highly wont damage your elitist image. I'm talking about the naruto, snk, sao, code geass ect. I'm going to think of that user as a pretender, faker ect. even if you genuinely for some reason don't like any popular anime. I'm going to put you all in one category.

if you see someone rate for eg. naruto a high score, but also watches shows like legend of the galactic heroes or some other series people call elitist shows, I will more believe this list is legit, and not some list made to look cool. why? because by giving naruto a high score would damage his elitist image, which most of the fakes/ pretenders wouldn't dare to do.

Yes, this is bad generalization, but that's how I look at it, I just find it hard to believe that people can't even like even 1 mainstream series. oh, most of the list I saw that are like that feels like some copy paste of all the pretenders. Those list are pretty generic and easy to make.
keragammingMar 27, 2015 12:19 PM
Mar 27, 2015 12:15 PM
Jan 2015
They're either tired of it or they want to be special.
Mar 27, 2015 12:18 PM

Dec 2012
ichii_1 said:
tsudecimo said:

Toriko anime isn't really toonami late night's target audience
I think this is it, probably, feel free to go through it XD
Or you can just believe it sold as expected.
https://archive.org/details/bliptv-20131031-104314-918thefan-TorikoInterview296

Reviews.
https://econsultancy.com/blog/9366-ecommerce-consumer-reviews-why-you-need-them-and-how-to-use-them/

It's doing well on Crunchyroll if that means anything to you :)
And how am I supposed to show western sales when no company wants to release any numbers?

The mere fact that it's not on Toonami means it's not popular enough.

Again irrelevant, some blog saying talking about it's quality is not an indication of any popularity. You are working on a future assumption. Zero prove or evidence of current popularity.

Prove it's doing 'well' in Crunchyroll? is doing well enough to be called popular, like TG and AgK? let alone the actual mainstream anime in the west?

They release rankings which are indications of popularity. For example, you can tell that Naruto is more popular than One Piece in US, because it tops the list more times than one piece and stuff like this. Same goes for France, which releases monthly rankings.

Toriko is not popular by normal standards, let alone mainstream, outside of Japan.
Mar 27, 2015 12:22 PM

Jun 2012
I think a lot of people are just tired of the incessant recycled discussion among the fanbases and the new fans that always want to talk about things that happened 20 years ago in the series.
People also get tired of things when they read 20 pages/20 minutes of animation in weekly installments it's harder to immerse ones self.
That applies more to the longer running ones though, the ones that get the brunt of the "hate".
Mar 27, 2015 12:37 PM

Jan 2013
Things get popular for a reason. It would never be mainstream in the first place if it was hated.
Mar 27, 2015 12:44 PM

Jul 2013
IMO, they don't hate mainstream anime. They just hate the fandom that worship such anime to the point that it gets annoying. So what do they do? Obviously, trying to find every single flaw to argue with the fandom.
Mar 27, 2015 12:48 PM

Mar 2014
When you say guys, are you talking about males?
Mar 27, 2015 12:49 PM

Mar 2012
Because the HYPE! If you go into a series that everyone says is perfect you create some unrealistically high expectations for it, that it likely wont live up to because every series has its flaws :P .
--
Sword Art Online was really hyped up, so, tons of fan-boys swearing up and down its the best show ever and tons of disappointed anime fans finding out it wasn't actually the best thing ever*.
--I watched SAO recently, like a few days ago. It wasn't bad I suppose, I had a few issues with it but that's normal. Thing is, I avoided it for so long because of the hype and actually went into it wanting to hate it, but since my expectations were low it easily exceeded them!
Mar 27, 2015 12:50 PM
Jul 2018
I haven't met a single member on here who actually hates mainstream anime based solely on the fact that it's mainstream.
Mar 27, 2015 12:59 PM

Feb 2015
I don't hate mainstream anime i like attack on titan and i think NGNL is okay but i dislike SAO doesn't matter if it is mainstream or not
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 27, 2015 1:13 PM
Feb 2014
i dont hate mainstream anime i just hate badly organized anime
Mar 27, 2015 1:16 PM

Dec 2012
Cause I'm an edgy Salmon that doesn't mingle with you commoner trout.
Mar 27, 2015 1:21 PM

Apr 2013
I don't really... All my favourites are quite popular.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Mar 27, 2015 1:33 PM

Sep 2013
tsudecimo said:
Toriko is not popular by normal standards, let alone mainstream, outside of Japan.

You say mainstream but it's not like fairy tail and the like is that high selling either in the west or been on toonami.
And toriko shouldn't be too far off from it, based on common sense and word of mouth (yes that counts since bigger fanbase online correlates to sales)
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9070 by anime-prime »»
1 minute ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 3 hours ago

17 by red-tomato »»
6 minutes ago

» Underrated character designs/outfits you think are appealing / sexy

IpreferEcchi - 1 hour ago

3 by Spunkert »»
8 minutes ago

» Anime adaptation wish list

kuroneko99 - Apr 5

31 by Reecey91 »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 4 hours ago

22 by perseii »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.