Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 25, 2015 7:33 PM

Apr 2010
I'd gotten into it by chance after getting tired of Shonen fight anime being all too similar but ironically they were as different as night and day compared to Shojo anime.

To be fair I was getting tired of them because they were mostly all the same but I just watched Maid Sama and god was it a utter shitfest.

The story, the events in the story, the characters personalities, the characters designs, the artwork, the comedy, the score etc have all been done in like 20 different anime before it.

Stop me if you've heard this before, the series follows Misaki a beautiful (yet doesn't know it), intelligent, student council president who of course hates boys which calls for her character to be a loud mouthed bossy bitch. Other classic clichés include her also being poor, being a tomboy, having a single parent and two best friends, the stereotypical short bubbly one and the tall reserved one.

Then there's Usui, who looks like every other main male love interest in a Shojo series whose handsome, even more intelligent than Misaki, cool, tough, another Mr Perfect. All the girls want him and all the guys want to be (friends with) him.

How does the relationship start? In the most unoriginal way possible, Misaki has a little secret she dresses up as a maid and doesn't want anybody to know but who finds out? Usui obviously the guy she happens to find annoying and doesn't really like. From that point on again being as cliché as possible Usui decides to take advantage of the situation.

Other clichés include

- Main female lead being harassed by hoodlums and all of a sudden main male lead conveniently shows up to grab the other guys wrist.

- Main male lead constantly showing up out of convenience as if he were a stalker.

- Main female lead starts to develop feeling for him yet just acts like a stereotypical tsunadere and always treats him like crap to his face.

- Main male lead turning down all the girls that like him because he wants that one girl who treats him like shit.

- Pretty much all the guys being perverted and obsessed with cutesy things.

- A self absorbed little girl who acts like the shit and puts on an act infront of guys but is in reality a bitch.

- A little cutesy girl actually being a boy who likes cute things (like Sekai in Lovely Complex)

And I could go on and on. I knew that that garbage would have a high score on here because the site seems to be mainly filled up with teenage girls who eat this shit up time and time and time again even when they're all exactly the same.

It makes sense now why School Days which actually had the guts to be unique is hated and it's because it didn't play it safe.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 25, 2015 7:34 PM

Jan 2015
Why did you make a thread about this?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 25, 2015 7:35 PM

Jul 2011
You dont have to make a public announcement okay
Mar 25, 2015 7:36 PM

Sep 2014
Watch Madoka. Thank me later.

Jan 2015
marriage said:
You dont have to make a public announcement okay

I knew someone was going to say this.

Btw your signature fukd me up
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Sep 2013
Watch the upcoming Ore Monogatari anime.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/28297/Ore_Monogatari!!

Jun 2014
scabab said:
I'd gotten into it by chance after getting tired of Shonen fight anime being all too similar but ironically they were as different as night and day compared to Shojo anime.

To be fair I was getting tired of them because they were mostly all the same but I just watched Maid Sama and god was it a utter shitfest.

The story, the events in the story, the characters personalities, the characters designs, the artwork, the comedy, the score etc have all been done in like 20 different anime before it.

Stop me if you've heard this before, the series follows Misaki a beautiful (yet doesn't know it), intelligent, student council president who of course hates boys which calls for her character to be a loud mouthed bossy bitch. Other classic clichés include her also being poor, being a tomboy, having a single parent and two best friends, the stereotypical short bubbly one and the tall reserved one.

Then there's Usui, who looks like every other main male love interest in a Shojo series whose handsome, even more intelligent than Misaki, cool, tough, another Mr Perfect. All the girls want him and all the guys want to be (friends with) him.

How does the relationship start? In the most unoriginal way possible, Misaki has a little secret she dresses up as a maid and doesn't want anybody to know but who finds out? Usui obviously the guy she happens to find annoying and doesn't really like. From that point on again being as cliché as possible Usui decides to take advantage of the situation.

Other clichés include

- Main female lead being harassed by hoodlums and all of a sudden main male lead conveniently shows up to grab the other guys wrist.

- Main male lead constantly showing up out of convenience as if he were a stalker.

- Main female lead starts to develop feeling for him yet just acts like a stereotypical tsunadere and always treats him like crap to his face.

- Main male lead turning down all the girls that like him because he wants that one girl who treats him like shit.

- Pretty much all the guys being perverted and obsessed with cutesy things.

- A self absorbed little girl who acts like the shit and puts on an act infront of guys but is in reality a bitch.

- A little cutesy girl actually being a boy who likes cute things (like Sekai in Lovely Complex)

And I could go on and on. I knew that that garbage would have a high score on here because the site seems to be mainly filled up with teenage girls who eat this shit up time and time and time again even when they're all exactly the same.

It makes sense now why School Days which actually had the guts to be unique is hated and it's because it didn't play it safe.

Try Ouran Highschool Host Club.
Mar 25, 2015 7:38 PM

Sep 2012
But you gave Bokura ga Ita a 9
Mar 25, 2015 7:39 PM

Apr 2014
Watch Rose of Versailles and be done with it. It's other things first and shojo second anyway.
Mar 25, 2015 7:41 PM

Apr 2010

To discuss anime...this is an anime discussion forum.

I've seen that, it was mostly filled with clichés itself.
Mar 25, 2015 7:41 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
It makes me so happy to see Koukou Debut on your fav manga.

Try these..
Seiho Boys High School
Dawn of the Arcana
Tomodachi no Hanashii + Oremonogatari! [Same mangaka of Koukou Debut]

You may also want to try moving up to josei w/ works like Dokuhime, Nodame Cantabile, Game Over, Honey and Clover, Paradise Kiss, etc.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." ⛩️

Mar 25, 2015 7:42 PM

Jun 2014
scabab said:

I've seen that, it was mostly filled with clichés itself.

I'm not exactly sure since I'm not one for the shojo genre myself but I believe it makes fun of and turns many of the clichés in the genre on their heads while at the same time employing them very nicely. It was a highly enjoyable experience for myself at least and I thought I'd suggest it to you. Should have looked at your list so my apologies.
Mar 25, 2015 7:43 PM

Mar 2014
Start watching/reading josei instead
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Mar 25, 2015 7:45 PM

Apr 2010

Which was mainly cliche free. It's manga was also largely different from most seeing as it's story actually continued after the characters had finished school whereas most will end once they've finished school.

The actually grew up and got jobs and wasn't like most shojo titles.
Mar 25, 2015 7:46 PM

Jan 2015
scabab said:

Oh, I thought you were just ranting

Jun 2014
scabab said:

Which was mainly cliche free. It's manga was also largely different from most seeing as it's story actually continued after the characters had finished school whereas most will end once they've finished school.

The actually grew up and got jobs and wasn't like most shojo titles.

Does an anime employing clichés really bother you so much?

May 2013
>Hasn't even watched 100 anime
>complains about them being all the same
pls OP

Also kaichou wa maid sama was 10/10 m8
Mar 25, 2015 7:49 PM

Jun 2014
Cliches aren't bad though. Everything has cliches including DBZ.

Jun 2014
Personally I love clichés done well. :3

Apr 2010

I loved that and yet that one never actually had an anime which is a shame. I even bought that series properly.

I'm not exactly sure since I'm not one for the shojo genre myself but I believe it makes fun of and turns many of the clichés in the genre on their heads while at the same time employing them very nicely.

I wouldn't have known that as that was actually one of the first shojo animes I watched so not only have I started to forget it but any parodies would have been lost on me. I guess I watched it too soon.
Mar 25, 2015 7:52 PM

Jun 2014
scabab said:

I loved that and yet that one never actually had an anime which is a shame. I even bought that series properly.

I'm not exactly sure since I'm not one for the shojo genre myself but I believe it makes fun of and turns many of the clichés in the genre on their heads while at the same time employing them very nicely.

I wouldn't have known that as that was actually one of the first shojo animes I watched so not only have I started to forget it but any parodies would have been lost on me. I guess I watched it too soon.

I know right? I didn't know what a tsundre was when I watched my first real anime SAO and I thought Asuna was actually a developed character. xD
Mar 25, 2015 7:54 PM

Nov 2010
OP just now realized that every genre has its own cliches and the majority are considered average or the same.
Mar 25, 2015 7:57 PM

Jun 2014
IntroverTurtle said:
OP just now realized that every genre has its own cliches and the majority are considered average or the same.

It only took me 1 anime to realize this. I mean, how can one not realize a medium or genre have cliches?

May 2013
scabab said:

How are you complaining about cliche stuff, when you have koukou debut on your favorites?
It is literrary only full of cliche

Apr 2010
Does an anime employing clichés really bother you so much?

It depends, a lot of Shonen animes can be filled with clichés. DBZ, Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail, One Piece, Toriko etc all share many similarities but they each offer unique worlds, one is about Ninja's, one is about Pirates and so on.

The character designs are generally more unique and so are the powers.

Shojo titles suffer from clichés far more because they all go through the same motions, the rollercoaster relationship before they get together, the confession, the first kiss, they get together, then a love triangle will come into play, then there's the whole going to different universities/separation ordeal etc.

And all the characters look the same, act the same and they're usually always the same kind of age and are set in a school.
Mar 25, 2015 7:59 PM

Jun 2014
What are u talking about. DBZ is one big cliche.
Mar 25, 2015 8:01 PM

Jun 2014
Try Akatsuki no Yona, Natsume Yuujinchou, or Hotarubi no Mori e. They're all shoujo anime.

And not all shoujo focus on romance or even have romance.
Mar 25, 2015 8:02 PM

Jun 2014
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TropeMakers
Mar 25, 2015 8:04 PM

Apr 2010
How are you complaining about cliche stuff, when you have koukou debut on your favorites?

It had it's share fair of clichés too except for one vital difference. They became a couple early into the series, which rarely happens.

Most Shojo series are about how the boy and girl become a couple and the usual rocky road filled with ups and downs and it being overly dragged out and melodramatic and then once they do become a couple the series ends.

With Koukou Debut though that didn't really happen as they became a couple by just the third volume even though it's a fifteen volume series.
Mar 25, 2015 8:06 PM

Feb 2012
Anime is a cliche.
Mar 25, 2015 8:07 PM

Apr 2010

No I think you'll find that DBZ created and/or popularised these clichés in the first place. It's not it's fault that countless series ripped parts of it off.
Mar 25, 2015 8:18 PM

Nov 2011
Why does it matter what started whatever cliché? What matters is execution, as well as how it might be recieved differently due to character personalities and setting. Shoujo is hardly the only 'genre' to do this. Try just mixing it up every once in a while. Go watch a sci-fi, then follow up with a fantasy.
Mar 25, 2015 8:29 PM

Aug 2009
I can't agree with you entirely. I would agree that 'maid-sama' is a shit fest though (YEAH THAT'S RIGHT I CALLED THAT SHOW CRAP), but,
Skip Beat!, Kare Kano, Hana Yori Dango, Wallflower, OHSHC, and Fruits Basket were pretty darn amazing. I can't blame you for disliking shoujo though, the girls can be pretty annoying and the guys, a little unrealistic.

Also I would agree with the above posters that maybe you're too old for 'shoujo' and should check out Josei. It is a lot better. ^^ And most of them are about people going to college or adults working, etc.
dakotasapphireMar 25, 2015 8:33 PM
Mar 25, 2015 8:31 PM

Nov 2010
Good choice.
Mar 25, 2015 8:35 PM

Jun 2014
scabab said:

No I think you'll find that DBZ created and/or popularised these clichés in the first place. It's not it's fault that countless series ripped parts of it off.

You act like just because DBZ made a cliche popular in anime means at the end of the day that it isn't a cliched show. Heck, some of the cliches in DBZ exist in other mediums as well such as comic books and movies. I love DBZ, but if anything DBZ borrowed cliches from other mediums and is just a cliche in itself.
Mar 25, 2015 8:35 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Uh, bye, I guess. You won't be missed.

retrogamer32x said:
You have not read what I think the best shoujo of them all, Mars - http://myanimelist.net/manga/443/Mars

That is one of the most underrated manga out there, I'm not even really a shoujo fan per se, but I can't recommend it enough. At least give it a shot.

Oh, that actually sounds interesting. Added.

Eucli said:
>Hasn't even watched 100 anime
>complains about them being all the same
pls OP

Also kaichou wa maid sama was 10/10 m8
BatoKusanagiMar 25, 2015 8:38 PM
Mar 25, 2015 8:36 PM

Jun 2014
OP, it sounds like you're focusing too much on Shoujo Anime where romance is the main genre. Try some Magical Girl stuff, or Sports Shoujo.

Mar 25, 2015 8:36 PM

Jul 2011
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
scabab said:

You act like just because DBZ made a cliche popular in anime means at the end of the day that it isn't a cliched show. Heck, some of the cliches in DBZ exist in other mediums as well such as comic books and movies. I love DBZ, but if anything DBZ borrowed cliches from other mediums and is just a cliche in itself.

OP probably means that shoujo cliches bother them more than cliches in other genres
Mar 25, 2015 8:38 PM

Jun 2014
marriage said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

OP probably means that shoujo cliches bother them more than cliches in other genres

Well, that's fine. I can't wrong him on having an opinion, but I can wrong him on trying to say DBZ isn't a cliched anime. Doesn't mean its bad though~
Mar 25, 2015 9:37 PM

Jun 2014
Syndiciate said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Look under the anime section.
Mar 25, 2015 9:57 PM

Jun 2014
Syndiciate said:
Syndiciate said:

I know Dragon Ball made shonen/anime more popular in the west. I was watching it during that time period. Though, cliches within Dragon Ball existed beforehand in comics and etc. Not all of them, but some of them.
Mar 25, 2015 10:08 PM

Nov 2010
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Syndiciate said:

I know Dragon Ball made shonen/anime more popular in the west. I was watching it during that time period. Though, cliches within Dragon Ball existed beforehand in comics and etc. Not all of them, but some of them.
Date chan said that a lot of the tropes DB is said to have made, Ring ni Kakero made them before.
Mar 25, 2015 10:16 PM

Nov 2009
Read Mars.
Mar 25, 2015 10:20 PM

Jun 2014
IntroverTurtle said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Date chan said that a lot of the tropes DB is said to have made, Ring ni Kakero made them before.

Is it any good?
Mar 25, 2015 10:25 PM

Jun 2014
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Is it any good?

Masami Kurumada, of Saint Seiya fame made it, so it must be good.

Mar 25, 2015 10:26 PM

Jun 2011
Stick to your own demographic then, otherwise just gender change.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 25, 2015 10:29 PM

Jun 2014

I'll make sure to take a look at it next time I watch a classic anime. Thanks!
Mar 25, 2015 10:31 PM

Nov 2010
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Is it any good?
Don't know but most likely not.
Mar 25, 2015 10:34 PM

Jun 2014
IntroverTurtle said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Is it any good?
Don't know but most likely not.

Don't listen to this guy. He hasn't even seen a single Precure Anime.

Mar 25, 2015 11:10 PM

Sep 2014
I have watched quite some shojo by now (not THAT many, but enough to call it some experience) and I must say I somewhat agree. They are full of cliches more than anything else, and 90% of them land in 4-5/10 mark for me. The best one I have watched thus far was Kimi ni Todoke. It maybe slow but unlike most of others it has actually likeable characters and there are not that many cliches.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 45 minutes ago

7 by meyve »»
53 seconds ago

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 2 minutes ago

0 by deg »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 2 hours ago

9 by Zarutaku »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

53 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 1 hour ago

5 by animegamer245 »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.