Forum Settings
Forums

2015 Manga Reading Challenge - Discussion Thread!

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (15) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 » ... Last »
Apr 10, 2015 11:45 PM
Oct 2013
@nomstuff @ tsuyokunaru

Thanks guys. I will repost this on the main thread.

ExplodingGirlApr 11, 2015 12:44 AM
Apr 11, 2015 7:49 AM

Oct 2007
Yelenicus said:
gummyghost said:
Read a manga that you can relate to yourself is going to be hard.I have no idea why I picked to do this one.
Has anyone done it?

Still, it may be easier than it seems to be. Think about it, surely you have some hobbies, things that interest you and so on. Maybe you do some martial arts. Then, you could think about yourself as a person and how you appear to others: a loner, somebody stubborn or ambitious, a strong-willed human being, etc.

Yeah gummyghost, just as Yelenicus says, you don't really have to overthink it too much, or maybe the freedom of it is what makes it difficult? I haven't chosen anything for that one yet, but I will probably either choose something about twins (as I am one) or read GTO because I work as a teacher.

@Blankbite I LOVE THEM! I'll add them to the main thread, thanks. You also gave me the idea to make ones for the people who did not complete it :D
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Apr 11, 2015 2:54 PM

Oct 2013
I'm down to three now.

Anyone got any recommendations for these two?

➤Read a manga that starts with the same first letter as your username
➤Read a manga that has a main character that is a professional in his field (doctor, detective, embalmer, etc)
Mitsu knows.

My Manga list
Apr 11, 2015 8:28 PM
Oct 2013
tsuyokunaru said:

@Blankbite I LOVE THEM! I'll add them to the main thread, thanks. You also gave me the idea to make ones for the people who did not complete it :D

Thanks. I'm glad you like it. ^^
Apr 12, 2015 10:45 AM

Oct 2013
Ana said:
nomstuff said:
I'm down to three now.

Anyone got any recommendations for these two?

➤Read a manga that starts with the same first letter as your username
➤Read a manga that has a main character that is a professional in his field (doctor, detective, embalmer, etc)
We have 'extremely high' compatibility (even though I have no idea how it works...), perhaps you'll like Nijigahara Holograph and Monster (surgeon).

I compared our lists, only 19 similar and the ratings aren't even close. maybe it takes ptr in consideration?

thanks for the suggestions ^_^
Mitsu knows.

My Manga list
Apr 14, 2015 10:03 AM

Dec 2008
I have a question about the allowed number of entries per category. Is it possible to add several manga titles to a single category if they were short, single-volume manga? Kind of like what I did here for the "read a slice of life OR comedy manga".
Apr 14, 2015 1:03 PM

May 2014
Can someone recommend me something dark/mature, preferably seinen?

Here's my challenge list, and manga list.

Apr 14, 2015 3:12 PM

Oct 2007
Yelenicus said:
I have a question about the allowed number of entries per category. Is it possible to add several manga titles to a single category if they were short, single-volume manga? Kind of like what I did here for the "read a slice of life OR comedy manga".

Well, I can't limit how many series you want to read for one item, though you only need one. If you want to list the others for the same of record-keeping, I'm not against it. If you plan to read more than one for all of them, you could consider finishing your challenge and doing it a second time.

coromandel said:

Hmm, well I wouldn't know about dark, but I can think about Parasyte, maybe All You Need Is Kill or Hideout too?
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Apr 15, 2015 11:15 PM

Dec 2008
tsuyokunaru said:
Yelenicus said:

Well, I can't limit how many series you want to read for one item, though you only need one. If you want to list the others for the same of record-keeping, I'm not against it. If you plan to read more than one for all of them, you could consider finishing your challenge and doing it a second time.

Then I suppose I'll leave it as it is for now for that particular category, mostly because I feel that reading just a single-volume manga does not add to the challenge factor. Heck, I remember someone commented that reading shorter titles made them feel as if they were cheating, and I think that sentiment applies to me as well. Well, if I do manage too complete the challenge before the year ends and go for another round, I could simply leave just one title there. But I have a few longer manga I plan to finish for the challenge, so I don't think that will be the case. Thank you for the reply.

coromandel said:

I'm a bit late with the reply, but consider these as well:

Adolf
Arigatou
Ciguatera
Endo Hiroki Tanpenshuu
Himizu
Homunculus
Jiraishin
Uncivilized Planet
Seizon
The Push Man and Other Stories
Apr 16, 2015 4:51 PM

Jan 2015
- Read a manga adapted from a different source (i.e. original anime/light novel/videogame)
- Read a webmanga

^ would anyone have any suggestions for these two? Anything would appreciated, thanks in advance :)
Apr 16, 2015 4:58 PM

Oct 2013
Sacreds said:
- Read a manga adapted from a different source (i.e. original anime/light novel/videogame)
- Read a webmanga

^ would anyone have any suggestions for these two? Anything would appreciated, thanks in advance :)

For the first, any of the Corpse Party mangas would count.
Mitsu knows.

My Manga list
Apr 16, 2015 10:33 PM

Mar 2009
Anyone has some suggestions for "Read a manga adapted from a different source (i.e. original anime/light novel/videogame)"?
Genre doesn't matter.
Apr 17, 2015 5:38 AM

Jan 2011
➤Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant

Go ahead give me what you got, no restrictions.
Apr 17, 2015 6:08 AM

Oct 2013
ReaperCreeper said:
➤Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant

Go ahead give me what you got, no restrictions.

Battle Royale
Murasakiiro no Qualia
Liar Game
Zombie Loan
Ore ga Doutei wo Sutetara Shinu Ken ni Tsuite
Boku dake ga Inai Machi (ongoing)
Olimpos
Sasemeki Koto
nomstuffApr 18, 2015 7:25 AM
Mitsu knows.

My Manga list
Apr 18, 2015 7:17 AM

Dec 2008
You fucked up some links
Apr 18, 2015 7:26 AM

Oct 2013
Unrawek_Laksidam said:
You fucked up some links

I thought I'd fixed that. oh well, I have now.
Mitsu knows.

My Manga list
Apr 18, 2015 2:54 PM

Apr 2014
yup people .

So I just wanted to say that I will have finished the challenge tomorrow . The only things left for me is to re-read a manga .
Just so you know , normally I planned to have Blade of the immortal for my last read (and I'm still reading it) , beside the re-reading , but today it happened that I read Homunculus (the 15 volumes in one sitting , yep ) , so it settle the matter ^^ .

It took me more time than expected to do this challenge , but I guess it's because I did read some other manga that couldn't fit in the challenge and watched around the same amount of Anime too in the way . It really was a pleasure to come to this topic and respond to some comments , do some , and discuss manga (in fact , I might continue to post here too if it's not a bother) .
DullboyApr 18, 2015 4:22 PM
Apr 19, 2015 9:33 AM
Jan 2012
I'd like a recommendation for
➤Read a manga that focuses on non-romantic relationships

Something lighthearted and not too long (5 or less volumes) would be cool, but feel free to recommend me anything if you think it's great.
Apr 19, 2015 9:50 AM

Jun 2014
@dullboy
Congrats I still got a long way to go and please do post here its not a bother.

Look alive sunshine!
The future is bulletproof
The aftermath is secondary
Its time to do it now and do it loud
Killjoys! Make some noise!
Apr 19, 2015 10:24 AM
Jul 2018
Could someone please recommend something to read for the following three challenges:
➤Read a debut manga
➤Read a manga that became a prototype for a longer running series
➤Read a webmanga
removed-userApr 19, 2015 10:48 AM
Apr 19, 2015 11:36 AM

Apr 2014
MatijaxD said:
➤Read a manga that focuses on non-romantic relationships

Something lighthearted and not too long (5 or less volumes) would be cool, but feel free to recommend me anything if you think it's great.
Hmm , it's not that easy to find something that apply , but I wanted to help you , so...

I'm not so sure about what "focus on non-romantic relationships mean in fact . For exemple , does friendship count ? And how to determine if it is the "focus" of the manga ?
If so , I propose for you Sumire 16-sai!! : light hearted manga with comedy gold in it , in a school life setting ( I would consider it to be about the developpement of an unusual friendship group of girls )

(by the way , you alread have read your one shot for the challenge , but go check Yuusha-tachi , you will like it)
DullboyApr 19, 2015 11:41 AM
Apr 19, 2015 12:00 PM
Jan 2012
Dullboy said:
Hmm , it's not that easy to find something that apply , but I wanted to help you , so...

I'm not so sure about what "focus on non-romantic relationships mean in fact . For exemple , does friendship count ? And how to determine if it is the "focus" of the manga ?
If so , I propose for you Sumire 16-sai!! : light hearted manga with comedy gold in it , in a school life setting ( I would consider it to be about the developpement of an unusual friendship group of girls )

(by the way , you alread have read your one shot for the challenge , but go check Yuusha-tachi , you will like it)

Yeah, I'm not sure either and that's why I thought it would be easier to just ask for recommendations :P

Thank you, I'll go with Sumire 16-sai!, I think it should count.
And thanks for Yuusha-taichi, I didn't even know that it exists but I'll probably love it since it's from Asano (I should read more of him manga already... I'll start marathoning all of them once I finish the challenge)
Apr 21, 2015 5:11 PM

Oct 2007
Dullboy said:
yup people .

So I just wanted to say that I will have finished the challenge tomorrow . The only things left for me is to re-read a manga .
Just so you know , normally I planned to have Blade of the immortal for my last read (and I'm still reading it) , beside the re-reading , but today it happened that I read Homunculus (the 15 volumes in one sitting , yep ) , so it settle the matter ^^ .

It took me more time than expected to do this challenge , but I guess it's because I did read some other manga that couldn't fit in the challenge and watched around the same amount of Anime too in the way . It really was a pleasure to come to this topic and respond to some comments , do some , and discuss manga (in fact , I might continue to post here too if it's not a bother) .

Congrats Dullboy! You're definitely welcome to hang around, your contributions to the thread are always appreciated. You were really fast with Homunculus! I've never read it but I think about reading that much in one day and it seems impossible for me to do it, so that's impressive!

Amarantos said:
➤Read a webmanga

For webmanga I read nineteen, twenty one which was pretty cute and I enjoyed it (the art was stunning!), but a lot of people recommended Annarasumanara.

Dullboy said:
MatijaxD said:

Basically something like friendship, rivalry, war and/or filial relationships and something that doesn't have romance as a goal. There can be romance in the story, but it shouldn't be the focus of it.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Apr 21, 2015 8:52 PM

Jul 2012
hi yea I like to donate these:

had the idea and it worked. please be gentle, I don't do much pixel work and I worked hard on them so thank you.
Gonna rest my eyes now >-<

mitsumi iwakura

deliveries
awc mrc
set by titanween
Apr 21, 2015 8:56 PM
Jan 2013
mshehana said:

had the idea and it worked. please be gentle, I don't do much pixel work and I worked hard on them so thank you.

OOOOOH

LOOK AT THOSE SEXY PIXELSSSSSSSSS

Soz Tsuyokun, but I'll be ditching that blue badge, I need those sexy pixels -3-
gone bai bai
Apr 22, 2015 3:27 AM

Oct 2007
mshehana said:

WOW! They look amazing, thank you so much for donating these. I'll add them to the thread right away.

@Mkim go ahead :D these look really cool so I understand the change!
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Apr 22, 2015 6:40 AM

Apr 2014
mshehana : I really like those , very good work . I like the fact that they look more "discreet" too , like a real little badge you know . (I still like the original one for the challenge too of course)

tsuyokunaru said:
You were really fast with Homunculus! I've never read it but I think about reading that much in one day and it seems impossible for me to do it, so that's impressive!
Well I don't read that much in a row normally , it's just that this day I was somehow in the good mood for that , and since it was an interesting and quite original/distinct manga it went fine . You have to take into consideration too that it's a manga a lot more "driven by the graphic and art" than by long dialogues , so the volumes were not really long to read . Just a little snack , listening a little to music or just walk around between each volumes , and it went smoothly ( it's just that it took all the day ) .

It seems you have read Kokou no Hito , so you'll understand what I mean if I say that Homonculus is a lot similar to it in the sense that it heavily use graphical metaphors to convey ideas or feelings , almost to the point of beeing ridiculous sometime . Just like for Kokou no Hito , I liked the fact that it's "trying things" in the medium .
DullboyApr 22, 2015 9:29 AM
Apr 22, 2015 2:01 PM

Jun 2014
@mshehana wow! I love them you did a very good job with the badges.

Look alive sunshine!
Apr 23, 2015 3:02 AM

Oct 2007
Dullboy said:
It seems you have read Kokou no Hito , so you'll understand what I mean if I say that Homonculus is a lot similar to it in the sense that it heavily use graphical metaphors to convey ideas or feelings , almost to the point of beeing ridiculous sometime . Just like for Kokou no Hito , I liked the fact that it's "trying things" in the medium .

Oh, that's intriguing! I might check it out too then. I haven't finished Kokou no Hito but I plan to re-read what I have and finish it for this challenge because I remember that it really blew me away when I checked it out the first time.

I remember one part of the manga where the MC is in a room and a woman enters the place and he's drawn in the corner and he's sort of freaking out but it looks so weird because it seems something is coming out of his head and it was kind of awesome and yeah, i get what you mean with the visual metaphors.
omakaseApr 25, 2015 5:26 AM
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Apr 23, 2015 7:31 AM
Jan 2012
@mshehana those are really nice, I think I'll use one of them.

Dullboy said:
Well I don't read that much in a row normally , it's just that this day I was somehow in the good mood for that , and since it was an interesting and quite original/distinct manga it went fine . You have to take into consideration too that it's a manga a lot more "driven by the graphic and art" than by long dialogues , so the volumes were not really long to read . Just a little snack , listening a little to music or just walk around between each volumes , and it went smoothly ( it's just that it took all the day ) .

I'm sold.
Need to bump it up on my ptr list.

Also Sumire is lot's of fun, thanks once again.
Apr 24, 2015 2:54 PM

Jun 2014
Need help with "read a manga with non-romantic relationships" I'm too lazy to search for something myself. Preferably something short.

Look alive sunshine!
Apr 24, 2015 10:49 PM

Dec 2008
gummyghost said:
Need help with "read a manga with non-romantic relationships" I'm too lazy to search for something myself. Preferably something short.

How short exactly? I'll list some with less than five volumes.

Goggles (guardian relationship)
Japan Tengu Party Illustrated (mentor-disciple relationship)
Hinatama (family and friendship)
Kuroi Fubuki (an unlikely bond)
not simple (family and friendship; beware though, this one may crush you)
Zero (a relationship between a coach and his trainee)
Apr 25, 2015 8:21 AM

Jun 2014
Thank you for the recs yelen. Think I'll read not simple since its been on my to read for a while.

Look alive sunshine!
Apr 26, 2015 3:50 AM

Dec 2014
➤Read a manga with a target demographic that can apply to you (i.e. josei if you're a female in her 20s, etc)

Can anyone give me some suggestions? I'm a 18 boy
Apr 26, 2015 11:32 AM

Dec 2012
Last Batch of badges. Thanks tsuyokunaru!

RothApr 26, 2015 12:13 PM
Apr 26, 2015 1:14 PM

Jun 2014
LEVNIK said:
➤Read a manga with a target demographic that can apply to you (i.e. josei if you're a female in her 20s, etc)

http://myanimelist.net/manga/14127/Satougashi_no_Dangan_wa_Uchinukenai:_A_Lollypop_or_A_Bullet
http://myanimelist.net/manga/1721/Nabari_no_Ou
Apr 26, 2015 7:33 PM

Dec 2014
dream_eater1012 said:
LEVNIK said:

http://myanimelist.net/manga/14127/Satougashi_no_Dangan_wa_Uchinukenai:_A_Lollypop_or_A_Bullet
http://myanimelist.net/manga/1721/Nabari_no_Ou

Sankyu ^^
Apr 26, 2015 7:37 PM
Jan 2013
Everyime I come back here, I get tempted with new badges ._.
gone bai bai
Apr 29, 2015 4:10 AM

Oct 2007
Roth said:
Last Batch of badges. Thanks tsuyokunaru!

They've been included in the post. Thank you so much Roth! They look awesome
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
May 5, 2015 4:18 AM

Apr 2012
Could someone recommend me a manga? I really haven't read much manga, so you can recommend a really common one and chances are I haven't read it yet, so yes anything please :)
May 5, 2015 4:38 AM

Oct 2013
thebacon said:
Could someone recommend me a manga? I really haven't read much manga, so you can recommend a really common one and chances are I haven't read it yet, so yes anything please :)

Here's some, They're all finished.

Aku No Hana
Balance Policy
Battle Royale
Death Note
Girl Friends
Murasakiiro no Qualia
Olimpos
Sasameki Koto
Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan
Mitsu knows.

My Manga list
May 6, 2015 9:27 AM

May 2013
piano_girl93 said:
Sorry if this has been asked in this thread, but I didn't want to sit and read 10 pages of comments ;_; Can we use novels for the challenge... I know light novels are out. But have found something marked as novel on MAL that I wanna read for one of the catagories.

No, as stated at the FAQ at the Sign up thread.
May 6, 2015 11:34 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
piano_girl93 said:
Yes I read the FAQ as I said in my post that I knew light novels were out. I was wondering if there's a difference between novels and light novels...and if so were both banned. Thanks though.

Well, novels not considered light novels shouldn't be in the DB so I would think they are out.
May 6, 2015 4:43 PM

Oct 2007
piano_girl93 said:
Yes I read the FAQ as I said in my post that I knew light novels were out. I was wondering if there's a difference between novels and light novels...and if so were both banned. Thanks though.

Hi Piano. All light novels are entered into the database as novels, so they're the same, really. The reason why I decided to keep them out is because although most of them have illustrations, they are heavy on text and don't have the same paneling and graphic-heavy style that a manga, manwha, manhua or webtoon/webcomic have.

It's a rule so if you'd want to use this for one of your items, it wouldn't count, sorry!

@Brand thanks for pointing out the FAQ!
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
May 7, 2015 12:04 PM

Jun 2013
Can someone please recommend me a manga? c:

You could check my favourites to know what to recommend.

Oh and tbh I can't understand what this means, can someone give examples?

➤Read a manga that became a prototype for a longer running series
RadieneMay 7, 2015 12:16 PM
May 7, 2015 1:35 PM
Jul 2018
Here's an example of a prototype - http://myanimelist.net/manga/3645/Death_Note_Episode_0

I recommend Sora wa Akai Kawa no Hotori.
May 7, 2015 1:58 PM

Jan 2014
Question: When they say 'Read a manga published before the 90s', do they mean manga that finished publication before the 90s?
May 7, 2015 2:13 PM

Oct 2013
Transience said:
Question: When they say 'Read a manga published before the 90s', do they mean manga that finished publication before the 90s?

Preferably yes, but it doesn't need to have.
Mitsu knows.

My Manga list
May 7, 2015 2:17 PM

Jun 2013
Amarantos said:
Here's an example of a prototype - http://myanimelist.net/manga/3645/Death_Note_Episode_0

I recommend Sora wa Akai Kawa no Hotori.
Thanks!
May 7, 2015 2:54 PM

Jan 2014
nomstuff said:
Transience said:

Preferably yes, but it doesn't need to have.
Ah, thanks! :)
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (15) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » What is your favorite shounen arc?

HM0710 - Sep 6, 2021

16 by PushedCaraway »»
46 minutes ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1056 by Francis_0 »»
1 hour ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

377 by Nissy »»
1 hour ago

» When will be the next chapter of One punch Man released ?

MagrMal - Apr 23

3 by GudBoy »»
3 hours ago

» Do you guys read manga online or physically? ( 1 2 )

LemonXChio - Oct 27, 2023

67 by rurina-chan »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.