Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Nov 30, 2009 2:51 AM

Nov 2007
Uh oh, Saten is traveling down a dangerous path, but who knew it would be a song =O, what would happen if Misaka used it though? Hmm ...
Nov 30, 2009 4:13 AM

Jun 2008
toragon said:
Lever upper is a song? lol
But who needs that. Touma is level 0 and still strong xD
I wouldn't go as far as calling it a song. It seemed more like some kind of rhythm/white noise.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Nov 30, 2009 8:42 AM

Jan 2009
Crimsonwill said:
what would happen if Misaka used it though? Hmm ...

Don't delve too deep into the dark side! xD Although what would come out from that.. A world-wide blackout?: D
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Nov 30, 2009 7:45 PM
Jul 2009
OK some points after reading all the discussion....

Trick Art vs Dummy Check
Dummy check does not affect light or the world aroudn it at all. A person using dummy check would still be caught on security cameras. Dummy Check instead is more of a psychic power that causes people to just not know they are seeing you, even though technically they are.

Trick art is straight out of DnD where it is called displacement, eg. cloak of displacement or the ability of Displacer Beasts (are those still as common as they were in 2nd edition?) Basically he warps light so that it appears he is standing a couple feet to the left or right of where he really is. (It could also be forwards or backwards, etc.) if you were to film it on camera... the camera would not show his real location, the camera would still see what another person would see, since he s actually changing light.

Shirai vs Trick Art Battle
It was OK, but there were some important details bout Shirai's character that the manga emphasized, therefore she did not receive the level of character development she could have. Shirai is level 4, and quite powerful, but she does have a weakness. She loses her cool and is unable to use her ability because of it. This seems to happen to her more easily than it would some other people. The fight could have been more intense if they'd showed the part where her teleportation fails to work. However, realizing she is stressed and unable to use her ability is exactly what gives her the idea to scare the crap out of the Trick Art guy so that he won't be able to use his ability either. (And thus she regains her composure.)

Touma the Level 0
Touma being level 0 was mention a couple times in discussion. It seems to be suggested that Touma is not really level 0, so much as the very nature of his ability makes it unmeasurable. Therefore tests read his ability as being level 0, when in reality it is not. His level probably better described as indeterminable. Of course he doesn't know this. (It's also possible his power is fundamentally different from both abilities and magic, as it seems able to affect both equally well. If that's the case he technically would still be Level 0.)

Saten's desire for power
I particularly liked the scene where Misaka tells Saten powers are unimportant. You can see Saten visibly getting angry hearing that. It's important because it shows Misaka doesn't actually understand Saten, and that her desire to have an ability is not simply one of wanting to be socially accepted. While she might be good enough for her friends as is, she is not good enough for herself. She wants more than anything to be able to save people, to be a hero. You could say she is stuck having an ambition that is impossible for her to attain, whereas nearly everyone else (level 0s are rare) is born with some level of ability and use and misuse it freely. Yet someone like her who wants an ability to help other people with is powerless.
If anything Saten is a prime candidate for joining Anti-Skill. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this to her, but then again, it seems they don't quite understand her.

Level 0 Saten and Her Mother's Charm
There's a lot of subtlety here that I think a lot of viewers might have missed. The stress is on Saten saying how unscientific the charm is. That is to say, the charm might actually be magical. We know form the main To Aru anime that Level 0's are not common, and according to the prevailing theories, level 0s should not exist. We also know Level 0s have the potential to use magic. Therefore it suggests that Saten's mother has some magical ability, and that Saten inherited it, which is why she is level 0. Of course, Saten probably knows nothing about magic, being raised on the science side. However, she probably does have the potential to become a good mage, provided magic wasn't such a taboo.

Speculation on my part is that her mother secretly practices magic and wanted to pass it onto her. Since trying to practice both magic and special abilities has the potential to kill you, if Saten were to actually gain an ability she would lose the potential to learn magic.

Potential for Good Irony
So all in all, Saten could possibly be a better-than-average mage, assuming her family has some innate affinity for it as I've speculated. Therefore it is Ironic that she wants to use the level upper to gain at most a weak ability, and in the process would forever close the door to an ability she already has, but doesn't know about (and is taboo.)
Nov 30, 2009 9:36 PM
May 2009
Oosran said:
DarthVantos said:
Why am i hopping Saten becomes the protagonist?

Why am I kinda agreeing with you? I find it rather strange that I'd have liked it more if Saten was the protagonist : /

To aru LevelZero no Saten-san?
Nov 30, 2009 10:17 PM

Jul 2008
francismeunier said:
tsubasalover said:

The question they asked the scientist was about level upper. Even she doesn't know about it. Kuroko said level upper has something that effect the brain, so she wants the female scientist to check on level upper once it was found. The female scientist want their help, too. Then she realized Saten and Uihara were outside.
Obviously she lied there tsubasalover.....

Alexstratz said:
I like Kuroko's tactics. If you can't kill an annoying fly with a swatter, drop a damn nuclear bomb on it! I would've just teleported th building into the skies, let it drop and see if I still miss that other dude. :]

Monad said:

The fight was awesome but i will like to see Biribiri in a good fight like that and not those 1 minute fights she had until now.

HawthorneKitty said:
So do level 0 people have the tiniest bit of psychic power at least/ individuals are already set with a power but level 0 nullifies all traces of it, or is the Level Upper just some miracle worker that can make something out of nothing...

Spoilers for Touma I believe

I won't go through the question of these 5 pages but if you want to ask anything you can leave it up in my profile and I'll respond with the best I can.
Nov 30, 2009 10:21 PM

Jan 2009
maxime1007 said:

It's great to have a guru in here : > That way we can easily get answers to those little questions that we find hard to understand : D
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Dec 1, 2009 1:45 AM

Oct 2009
Xerain said:
OK some points after reading all the discussion....

Trick Art vs Dummy Check
Dummy check does not affect light or the world aroudn it at all. A person using dummy check would still be caught on security cameras. Dummy Check instead is more of a psychic power that causes people to just not know they are seeing you, even though technically they are.

Trick art is straight out of DnD where it is called displacement, eg. cloak of displacement or the ability of Displacer Beasts (are those still as common as they were in 2nd edition?) Basically he warps light so that it appears he is standing a couple feet to the left or right of where he really is. (It could also be forwards or backwards, etc.) if you were to film it on camera... the camera would not show his real location, the camera would still see what another person would see, since he s actually changing light.

Shirai vs Trick Art Battle
It was OK, but there were some important details bout Shirai's character that the manga emphasized, therefore she did not receive the level of character development she could have. Shirai is level 4, and quite powerful, but she does have a weakness. She loses her cool and is unable to use her ability because of it. This seems to happen to her more easily than it would some other people. The fight could have been more intense if they'd showed the part where her teleportation fails to work. However, realizing she is stressed and unable to use her ability is exactly what gives her the idea to scare the crap out of the Trick Art guy so that he won't be able to use his ability either. (And thus she regains her composure.)

Touma the Level 0
Touma being level 0 was mention a couple times in discussion. It seems to be suggested that Touma is not really level 0, so much as the very nature of his ability makes it unmeasurable. Therefore tests read his ability as being level 0, when in reality it is not. His level probably better described as indeterminable. Of course he doesn't know this. (It's also possible his power is fundamentally different from both abilities and magic, as it seems able to affect both equally well. If that's the case he technically would still be Level 0.)

Saten's desire for power
I particularly liked the scene where Misaka tells Saten powers are unimportant. You can see Saten visibly getting angry hearing that. It's important because it shows Misaka doesn't actually understand Saten, and that her desire to have an ability is not simply one of wanting to be socially accepted. While she might be good enough for her friends as is, she is not good enough for herself. She wants more than anything to be able to save people, to be a hero. You could say she is stuck having an ambition that is impossible for her to attain, whereas nearly everyone else (level 0s are rare) is born with some level of ability and use and misuse it freely. Yet someone like her who wants an ability to help other people with is powerless.
If anything Saten is a prime candidate for joining Anti-Skill. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this to her, but then again, it seems they don't quite understand her.

Level 0 Saten and Her Mother's Charm
There's a lot of subtlety here that I think a lot of viewers might have missed. The stress is on Saten saying how unscientific the charm is. That is to say, the charm might actually be magical. We know form the main To Aru anime that Level 0's are not common, and according to the prevailing theories, level 0s should not exist. We also know Level 0s have the potential to use magic. Therefore it suggests that Saten's mother has some magical ability, and that Saten inherited it, which is why she is level 0. Of course, Saten probably knows nothing about magic, being raised on the science side. However, she probably does have the potential to become a good mage, provided magic wasn't such a taboo.

Speculation on my part is that her mother secretly practices magic and wanted to pass it onto her. Since trying to practice both magic and special abilities has the potential to kill you, if Saten were to actually gain an ability she would lose the potential to learn magic.

Potential for Good Irony
So all in all, Saten could possibly be a better-than-average mage, assuming her family has some innate affinity for it as I've speculated. Therefore it is Ironic that she wants to use the level upper to gain at most a weak ability, and in the process would forever close the door to an ability she already has, but doesn't know about (and is taboo.)

This is great! I know a lot more now...thank you dear sir. So well explained.

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Dec 1, 2009 2:13 AM

Aug 2008
They took out the Touma part! Touuuuuma!!!!!!!

Dec 1, 2009 2:33 PM

Jul 2009
Nyanta said:
They took out the Touma part! Touuuuuma!!!!!!!

Common sense, they remove the boring non-essential parts which no one really want to see in order to make room for the good stuff ;)
Dec 1, 2009 8:18 PM

Jan 2009
She better use that fucking level upper. Need some plot development. This show is not as good as Index at all
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Dec 1, 2009 10:37 PM

Apr 2009
Nice episode. Knowing how things will turn out with Saten next week will be interesting.
Dec 2, 2009 3:08 AM
Jul 2009
Well still early to tell whether it can match up with majutsu no index.

But definitely it's not boring like majutsu, since the index part is one hell boring to me.

I;m so curious to find what Saten will do after this.
Dec 2, 2009 12:27 PM

Aug 2009
I LOVE u Saten-chan!
Dec 3, 2009 10:41 PM

Jan 2008
Hope Saten doesn't use it :/
Dec 3, 2009 11:21 PM

Jul 2008
Xerain said:

Touma the Level 0

Touma is a level 0 and I would like to also state that the level someone has is not necessary linked with their fighting power but rather with the control they have over they ability. Let's say someone has the ability to scan people, even if he has a level 4 control of it it would be pretty much useless in battle wouldn't it? A level 2 who has offensive ability could win over it. Given this exemple I don't know why you say that Touma is over level 0 when he is a level 0. The level scale work with psychic power, that means power activated with the brain, unlike magic who is a power activated through a ceremony. There is no ranking for mages and we don't know yet if Imagine breaker is actually a magic (since any no-esper can learn magic) or if it is something else. It's technically impossible for a human to use esper power and magic but maybe Imagine breaker is actually a perfect balance of the two.
Dec 4, 2009 8:29 AM

Jan 2009
maxime1007 said:
Xerain said:

Touma the Level 0

Touma is a level 0 and I would like to also state that the level someone has is not necessary linked with their fighting power but rather with the control they have over they ability. Let's say someone has the ability to scan people, even if he has a level 4 control of it it would be pretty much useless in battle wouldn't it? A level 2 who has offensive ability could win over it. Given this exemple I don't know why you say that Touma is over level 0 when he is a level 0. The level scale work with psychic power, that means power activated with the brain, unlike magic who is a power activated through a ceremony. There is no ranking for mages and we don't know yet if Imagine breaker is actually a magic (since any no-esper can learn magic) or if it is something else. It's technically impossible for a human to use esper power and magic but maybe Imagine breaker is actually a perfect balance of the two.

Actually I shouldn't question what maxime says.. He's our guru after all..
Or imagine this: Magic is a positive power, and esper powers are negative (or the other way around if you want), and the Imagine Breaker, assuming it's some kind of combination, combines +1 and -1, making it 0, giving him no special powers of either kind, but instead his hand can nullify both of them.
Dec 4, 2009 11:48 AM

Jul 2008
Oosran said:

Actually I shouldn't question what maxime says.. He's our guru after all..

Actually i'm all open up for debate, I love semi-heated discution :). Don't take everything I say as a fact unless I say it is one :P.

Oosran said:

Or imagine this: Magic is a positive power, and esper powers are negative (or the other way around if you want), and the Imagine Breaker, assuming it's some kind of combination, combines +1 and -1, making it 0, giving him no special powers of either kind, but instead his hand can nullify both of them.

Well let's not take number into account but if we assume that one power is the total opposite of the other I guess that it make sense that one can negate the other giving the same force is sent.
Trough this line of thinking we can suppose that Imagine breaker is the ability to counter a force with it's perfect opposite tough it's only one assumption against many other who also are possible.
Dec 4, 2009 12:48 PM

Jan 2009
maxime1007 said:
Oosran said:

Well let's not take number into account but if we assume that one power is the total opposite of the other I guess that it make sense that one can negate the other giving the same force is sent.
Trough this line of thinking we can suppose that Imagine breaker is the ability to counter a force with it's perfect opposite tough it's only one assumption against many other who also are possible.

Well I found it easier to explain by using +1 and -1, that's pretty much the only reason : p
Also, your improvement on this theory makes it even easier to understand, and it sounds even more feasible : p

But considering that we don't really have any more information on this (or do we?) I'd say we can't really continue the discussion regarding what the Imagine Breaker really is : P
Dec 4, 2009 1:37 PM

Jun 2008
Oosran said:
maxime1007 said:
Oosran said:
Well I found it easier to explain by using +1 and -1, that's pretty much the only reason : p
Those people who think they can solve anything with mathematics...
Why don't start talking about spin quantum numbers and use +1/2 and -1/2... A combination would be net zero without being really 0. Doesn't help?
Ok then let's continue with +1 and -1 and as it has been indicated that a reverse ability to Imagine Breaker may exist we put Touma on a second axis we label i and now we can start to calculate with complex numbers.
You're right numbers make it really easier to explain.
Dec 4, 2009 1:51 PM

Jan 2009
Proselyt said:
Oosran said:
maxime1007 said:
Oosran said:
Those people who think they can solve anything with mathematics...
Why don't start talking about spin quantum numbers and use +1/2 and -1/2... A combination would be net zero without being really 0. Doesn't help?
Ok then let's continue with +1 and -1 and as it has been indicated that a reverse ability to Imagine Breaker may exist we put Touma on a second axis we label i and now we can start to calculate with complex numbers.
You're right numbers make it really easier to explain.

Yeah they do, don't they? : D
Dec 4, 2009 2:49 PM
Jun 2008
how did she get lvl-upper?
Did i missed something in the previous episode?
Dec 4, 2009 5:44 PM

Jul 2008
gloryfy said:
how did she get lvl-upper?
Did i missed something in the previous episode?

Yep you definitively missed the part when she was on her pc and found a hidden link on a website and found the level upper there.
Dec 4, 2009 11:38 PM

Jul 2008
pretty good idea with teleporting the windows into the supports
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Dec 5, 2009 12:42 AM
Jul 2009
Oosran said:
maxime1007 said:
Oosran said:

Also, your improvement on this theory makes it even easier to understand, and it sounds even more feasible : p

But considering that we don't really have any more information on this (or do we?) I'd say we can't really continue the discussion regarding what the Imagine Breaker really is : P

Yeah I those were my thoughts, with needing more information. I was focused on one main idea, but then at the end brought up another, which is closer to maxime's statements. (I guess that sort of gives it a berter shot at being correct.)

The point of my mentioning Touma's powers in the first place was not so much to try and explain what they were, but to show how Touma and Saten are different. Just because they are both "level 0" does not mean they are the same. Touma can still jump in front of a graviton explosion and save people. That's the kind of stuff I'm sure Saten wishes she could do.
Dec 6, 2009 8:51 AM

Dec 2008
I don't like the level of violence against girls, or better said Shirai in this show.
It was the same like in the bank robbery scene.

Its funny that the bad guys who use level upper don't fall in coma that fast.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 12, 2009 3:20 AM

May 2008
What an idiot for him not to have realized she was going to collapse the building in the first place.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Dec 12, 2009 4:32 PM

Aug 2009
Loved this episode alot ^^
for me, it was one of best episodes so far..
the fight was nice, and I can't wait to see
the next episode to find out if Ruiko will use the level upper song.. :3
Dec 21, 2009 3:52 PM

Jun 2009
level upper is a song...interesting
Dec 22, 2009 9:07 PM
May 2008
ukonkivi said:
What an idiot for him not to have realized she was going to collapse the building in the first place.

Yeah, but he appeared to be a dimwitted thug type, and it's an anime so logic isn't exactly something used often.

Anyway, kind of a boring episode, but not terrible.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Dec 28, 2009 4:43 PM

May 2009
... Did Saten pay for it? Or did she just find a MP3 of the Level Upper...?
Jan 2, 2010 11:36 PM

Apr 2009
Oh Noes.
Not teh Stripper Lady. O:

"Free Falcon Punch for Everybody!"|Nani?|MCC Badge|
May 8, 2010 5:17 AM

Oct 2008
The stripping scientist is the mastermind behind the Level Upper. I bet my pc on it.
Jun 29, 2010 2:35 AM

Aug 2008
I feel for Ruiko. Sometimes it hurts to be powerless.
Aug 4, 2010 8:03 AM

Aug 2009
Lol Saten became the drug dealer now. What is she going to do even with that level upper? Pawn some noobs? Level upper can pawn noobs and only noobs. It's not like she can beat a level four or higher. Just like what happened to Kuroko and that light bending guy. So because of that, I can to a conclusion that level upper gives you nothing.

Okay so Kuroko was awesome in this episode. I have no idea how the glass cut the pillars into half though. Must be because the building is old or something.

The only one thing that made me laugh was when Saten raised Uiharu's blouse. Uiharu's expression was priceless if you ask me.
Sep 13, 2010 8:27 PM

Aug 2010
Saten gets a level upper AND a new outfit? WOOT!
Dec 23, 2010 4:51 PM

Feb 2010
I'm still waiting for a non-braindamaged culprit.
Feb 27, 2011 5:01 AM

Jul 2010
Come on Ruiko, don't do anything stupid, it's a trap! >_<

Her outfits were great though!

Mar 5, 2011 11:37 PM

Jan 2010
Wow, I'm kind of surprised by this episode. There is some surprising character depth, and a pretty good internal conflict for Saten-san.

I thought Kuroko dealt with the thug in a clever way, too. Slightly more competent enemy this time around. Though this series is more slice of life than Majutsu no Index, I hope to see a more difficult antagonist eventually.
Apr 15, 2011 11:22 PM

Feb 2011
ruiko don't burden your friends >.<

luv kuroko's cleverness and seriousness she's pretty baddass in this ep! <3
Jun 30, 2011 9:06 AM
Jul 2010
Moonfrost said:
Okay so Kuroko was awesome in this episode. I have no idea how the glass cut the pillars into half though. Must be because the building is old or something.
Not that you still care (I guess) since it's been almost a year since your post, but Kuroko doesn't send the glass flying against the pillars as it would obviously break. As she explained, she can teleport objects anywhere, it doesn't need to be an empty space (well, air, for that matter). And when she teleports something, it displaces the object it's teleported into. As she teleported the glass directly inside the pillars, they were cut in half.

I absolutely loved this episode. Why? Because the plot is progressing and things just got serious. Kuroko was pretty badass in that fight and I loved Saten's inner struggle about using the Level Upper or not. It really must suck not to have any powers when you're surrounded by such awesomely powerful friends... She's still quite the brave one, trying to save the guy from the bullies anyway, even though she knew she could do nothing to them. I just hope she won't use Level Upper. Please. Oh, and the Stripper Woman is so part of this. I'm certain of it.
Aug 5, 2011 10:57 AM

Oct 2009
Well, Touma is happy with his level 0. It's probably not supposed to be level 0 anyways :).
Apr 24, 2012 9:58 AM

Jul 2011
I thought for a second that the thug had VECTORS, but of course it was some cheap trick. Anyway this series is coming along really nicely right now, I love the developments with Saten and her struggles. I am liking this more than Index as of now, we'll see if it can keep up the pace.
Aug 17, 2012 1:37 AM

Apr 2012
Well, Kuroko was pretty cool in this episode - she kicked some ass and destroyed a building in the process. Good for her.

Anyway, it is interesting to see some low level espers who are not as carefree about being that way as Touma; but he hardly counts since he has the OP "Imagine Breaker" ability.

Still, I don't feel as sympathetic towards Saten as I feel like the show intends me to be. I mean, she hears that Level Upper produces some serious side effects (although Kuroko is very vague here as to what that entails) and, not only does she still decide to try it herself, but offers it to her friends too? That's pretty dumb. If you don't know all the details about something that just happens to significantly affect your brain you may want to, at least, hold off on handing it out to your pals. Then again, I guess brain damage could be a bonding exercise...
Jan 29, 2013 9:08 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode.
Interesting how she didn't bleed getting kicked through glass.
Also nice way have handling those serious injuries.
I thought for a minute she would use the glass to shatter on the floor and once he steps on a piece she'd listen to the sound then teleport a piece into him.
Feb 4, 2013 3:49 AM

May 2012
Fuck Saten don't use that shit... hopefully she won't get permanent hurt! Lets see what's next I really hope she won't do something to radical!
Feb 4, 2013 3:51 AM
Dec 2012
I remember I was fooled by the title--"railgun."
Mar 21, 2013 3:06 AM

Sep 2012
Awww I hope Saten won't go on the bad side. >_<
Apr 27, 2013 8:39 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Good performance of Kuroko and intriguing plot, I want to see how it ends faccedenda with Saten-san! Funny researcher and good designs! I'm always re-evaluating most of the series!
Jun 13, 2013 9:12 PM
Jan 2013
I loved the plate glass teleports. At first, when she started running, I wondered where she was sending them, but then, I though she was bringing down the ceiling, not the floors beneath. Good show.
Your mean should be an even bell curve only if you watch every show that comes out. Having a high-slung mean doesn't mean you're rating improperly. It can also mean you're selecting shows well to watch mostly things you enjoy.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

UnknownFact - Jan 2, 2010

169 by StateofOhayo »»
Apr 23, 10:51 PM

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

throwaway513846 - Dec 25, 2009

224 by StateofOhayo »»
Apr 23, 10:13 PM

» Do you like Kuroko’s horniness, or do you think it’s annoying?

SwagsOnB - Oct 2, 2023

31 by waalex11 »»
Mar 13, 5:11 PM

Poll: » Do you like Toaru Kagaku no Railgun?

SpinStudios - Oct 25, 2021

18 by waalex11 »»
Mar 13, 5:08 PM

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Proselyt - Jan 29, 2010

164 by TheAncientOne »»
Feb 25, 9:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.