Forum Settings
Forums

Star Wars Rogue Leader: Still sexy after all these years

New
Oct 31, 2014 3:55 PM

Nov 2012
I got to thinking about some old titles after seeing the thread on the best games of the last generation, and one that I came across some screenshots of while doing this was Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader. Now this was a very short, but also very sweet game, however more importantly, for 2001 its graphics absolutely blew my mind back in the day. Even now I think they have aged pretty well, but it makes me wonder, just how the hell did they do it? The game just looks so damn cinematic. This was over 13 years ago now. What's more astonishing is that they got it to run at 60 FPS on the GCN on top of that.

If I had to take a guess, I think a large part of it was owed to the lighting engine, which seemed to really bring out the detail in the designs. I also think they might have been able to output some higher detail models and textures since a lot of missions were open-ended space backdrops that didn't require a lot of environmental rendering.

Does anyone remember playing this game? Let's reminisce about Rogue Leader, and also any other games you might have found technically noteworthy despite now being very dated.

Some screenshots:
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Oct 31, 2014 3:56 PM

Jan 2013
Beautiful fucking game for the gamecube. I never finished it because it broke one time. It's probably the only aeriel combat game I've ever liked
Oct 31, 2014 5:03 PM

Feb 2013
MiniSiets said:
How did they do it?
LucasArts mang. But don't forget, Metroid Prime ran at 60 frames, too.

I was always playing the demo during my breaks at work when I was working at Target before the system was released. The explosions were really impressive. I remember trying to see how close I could get to the towers on the Death Star before I started shooting, that way I could fly through the fireball right as they blew up. Felt like a fucking badass.

The hype was real back then...no so much anymore.
NTADOct 31, 2014 5:08 PM
Oct 31, 2014 5:13 PM

Dec 2013
Got nothing on Star Fox 64.

Step Into My Mind - ##&&##&&##&&
Oct 31, 2014 5:16 PM

Apr 2013
oh shit I remember playing rogue leader with my cousin all the damn time
beautiful fucking game
an egomaniac and a fool

Oct 31, 2014 5:35 PM

Nov 2008
The first Rogue Squadron had better levels. I don't like it when games try to recreate movie scenes.

Oct 31, 2014 8:08 PM

Nov 2012
Cakedog said:
Got nothing on Star Fox 64.

I would agree that Star Fox 64 is the better game, but from a graphics standpoint Rogue Leader felt like a quantum leap compared to the difference between SF64 and other games at the time.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Oct 31, 2014 8:28 PM

Sep 2014
i had a star wars mod for Battlefield 1942 back in that day and i loved it, also remember a really old game called X-Wing vs Tie Fighter or something like that but i was so young at the time i hardly remember it. why don't we get games like this anymore
Oct 31, 2014 8:37 PM

Feb 2013
kurisubestgirl said:
i had a star wars mod for Battlefield 1942 back in that day and i loved it, also remember a really old game called X-Wing vs Tie Fighter or something like that but i was so young at the time i hardly remember it. why don't we get games like this anymore
X-Wing vs Tie was one of the best space sim shooters of it's time.

I played a similar game a lot before it came out called Renegade: Battle for Jacob's Star, but it wasn't very good. I was like 10 when that came out for Win95. Was fun at first but really clunky.
NTADOct 31, 2014 8:45 PM
Oct 31, 2014 9:13 PM

Feb 2013
Ahh, that's why I never played that one... I don't have that system!

Agree, Star Fox 64 had perfect-responsive-feeling controls. Rogue Squadron on n64 had an issue where when you go left/right you also slightly "pulled up"... very annoying... didn't stop me from getting gold on every map though.

Old but noteworthy: Tie 95
I've been meaning to play that through again... for a couple years now... That "protect the emperor" mission is impossible on anything but easy mode.

Also: Moto Racer
It's STILL a great game.
BurntJellyOct 31, 2014 9:17 PM
Nov 1, 2014 7:26 PM

Feb 2005
Thats probably the one GC exclusive that I always wanted to play.

Too bad Lucasarts is kill. What have we got left now? DICE doing SW Battlefront 3? Yea, well...
Nov 1, 2014 7:29 PM

Jun 2012
That's not sexy at all you freaking nerd.
Nov 1, 2014 7:38 PM

Feb 2013
Baman said:
Thats probably the one GC exclusive that I always wanted to play.

Too bad Lucasarts is kill. What have we got left now? DICE doing SW Battlefront 3? Yea, well...
Shit I was disappointed enough when Pandemic got snatched up by EA to do Mercenaries 2.

LucasArts + Pandemic was golden. EA + Pandemic turned a potential blockbuster hit into such a buggy, mediocre mess that I could only bear to play it through one time. I played the first Mercenaries like 10 times over.

More topics from this board

» Pokemon : Which legendary pokemon have you randomly came across without looking up their location?

Thy-Veseveia - Apr 9

4 by DreamWindow »»
6 hours ago

» Gacha Survey ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

57 by DreamingBeats »»
6 hours ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

12 by Astachanna »»
10 hours ago

» Last game you purchased ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Completely_Numb - Mar 15, 2014

525 by Timeline_man »»
11 hours ago

» Stellar Blade Preview: Sekiro Meets NieR: Automata?

deg - Feb 1

28 by Shizuna »»
Yesterday, 2:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.